[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: disneyland.jpg (200 KB, 1280x720)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
How would you run a game set inside the Disney Animated Canon?
>>
Paranoia, replacing Friend Computer with The Mouse
>>
I wish there were games that we could set inside the Disney Universe. Like Ravenloft but for Disney properties.
>>
File: Mickey.png (110 KB, 337x420)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
I would use 5e D&D. Have the players choose a type of cartoon character to play as. Such as a prince, a princess, a mage, a singing an anthropomorphic animal. Stuff like that. Have them go on quests that take them to each disney world like kingdom hearts just minus the bad anime plot. Have Mickey be a mascot that is in ever world. Build up to the final BBEG being Mickey atop a golden throne. He uses his god like powers against the players in the final fight. Players use all they have to defeat him. Mickey is brought down and is sent into the infinite void of cancellation, all the while laughing.
>>
>>73484635
I thought you asked what kind of system one would use to run a game set in a Disney park at first, which sounds infinitely more interesting.
>>
>>73485226
Dont Rest Your Head
>>
>>73485226
I mean that's kind of step one of 'how would you run a game' isn't it?
>>
>>73484635
which one the original golden age or the renaissance
>>
>>73485497
They're the same universe, but different era's. Like the Star Wars trilogies. Which Disney also owns.
>>
I'd use Savage Worlds and borrow heavily from the Kingdom Hearts games.
>>
>>73484635
I would make it somewhat like an "Alice in Wonderland" setting, but rather than draw any themes from the classic, I'd just use a nonsensical world as the explanation why all these characters are together.
I would have them start in a tavern, beginning innocently enough, but have the jovial atmosphere be interrupted by a panicked, fatally-wounded man, gasping out a warning that "they've gone mad" before dying then and there. From there, the party would be able to set up, with a limited inventory of weapons and spell components to choose from, in addition to any starting equipment they might have.
That's when the fun would begin. All the icons would be enemies; Cinderella, the Beauty and the Beast, Alladin and his treacherous genie. The lords of specific regions of land would be Disney's original characters, with armies of Chinese clone soldiers; the terrible trio of duck nephews, the rich scrooge, the war-criminal Donald, the murderous clown Goofy and his cadre, etc etc with the king and queen of it all in the dark castle of nightmares, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, bordered by court wizard Darthleen Kennedy and court jesters Ruin Johnson and Jar Jar Abrahms. As the battle rages on, the spirit of Walter himself will join the players in fighting those who made him turn in his grave.
The battle over, Darthleen Kennedy will try to retreat, Mary Poppinsing her way up through the sky, but then George motherfucking Lucas flies in with an X Wing to shoot her into vaporized space dust.
Fuck Disney and what they've done.
>>
I have an interesting idea. You could have something called a "keyblade" for the hero the use, and it would be the "key" to fixing whatever bad stuff is happening in the Disney animated multiverse.
Then you visit Clone Wars and a lightsaber chops right through your keyblade when you try to parry, dooming the entire multiverse.
>>
>>73486884
You had me up until Darthlene Kennedy, not gonna lie.
>>
>>73484635
Well, first, you'd need to work out the setting and what movies are tied in and how.

For example through Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Gargoyles and Tarzan are actually all in a shared universe.* Tangled and Frozen share a setting (Eugene and Rapunzel are at Elsa's coronation) and Hercules and Aladdin also did a full crossover episode in the Hercules series.

I might know this mainly by having tried writing a fanfic once. That I will never finish,

*Greg Weisman had planned a Gargoyles/Atlantis crossover and Tarzan series makers made Queen La who claimed herself to be a scion of Atlantis was designed to conform to the look of the Atlanteans from the movie and said showrunners said that in their own view, she's actually telling the truth.
>>
>>73487202
Kathleen Kennedy is one of the bigger influences in the ruination of Star Wars; her presence is pretty much mandatory in this theoretical setting.
>>
>>73484635
I would pull up the rules for Disney Villains Victorious. Long live Atlantis.
>>
>>73487265
I'm honestly surprised how people are still on about Kathleen Kennedy. Because there's a split between people who liked Last Jedi and those who didn't, but I feel like everyone can agree that Rise of Skywalker was a terrible, terrible movie, and one of the reasons why it was so bad was because it tried to course-correct on a bunch of stuff, rather than just steer into the curve, which really ruins any potential narrative through line of the films.

Like the Prequels weren't great, but at least they worked as a story.
>>
>>73487606

I don't know anyone who isn't legitimately retarded who likes the Last Jedi.

The problem is a lot of retards hate it too and want to shriek about the SJW boogeymen instead of real flaws, it being an awkward, boring film that fell flat on its face with every emotional beat it tried.

But i don't blame the director, and I don't even really blame Kennedy. And I certainly don't blame the actors or anyone who worked on the film.

Corporate Disney just demanded that there must be more Star Wars money now, damn the consequences, and everything was rushed and half baked. I blame Bob Iger
>>
>>73487788
Personally I want say the movie isn't incredibly messy and slow in several parts, but I found the ideas it had interesting- ray just being a nobody, the sith and jedi are bullshit we should do something new, etcetera. I'll say that overall Force Awakens is a better movie, but I don't think Last Jedi is really the worst thing that happened to star wars. In terms of worst star wars movies for me it probably goes Last Jedi, Phantom Menace, and then Rise of Skywalker, and I don't even hate Phantom Menace, but it's objectively the worse of the three prequels, and it only really has two good scenes in it- namely the pod-racing scene and the duel of fates scene.

But again, Rise of Skywalker is worse, because it's even messier- say what you will about Last Jedi, it's split neatly into a a and b plot that are easy to follow, even if they are disconnected, while Rise of Skywalker is raising a new plot point every five minutes that is never addressed.
>>
>>73487606
>rather than just steer into the curve
The curve was shit, and people who liked TLJ are idiots.
>>
>>73487950
Yeah, and people who wanted Rise of Skywalker to be a worse movie out of spite are retards.
>>
>>73487788
>want to shriek about the SJW boogeymen instead of real flaws
When you try to bring up real flaws, they assume the core motivation you have for disliking it is because you're sexist. Doesn't matter what problems you point out, disliking the movie makes you a misogynist in their eyes, they assume they have you pegged from the start.
>>
>>73487959
RoS is the best saga movie Disney has managed yet, but that just makes it the most polished turd.
>>
>>73485226
100x better
>>
>>73487966
I mean, if more people complained about the pacing of the Last Jedi, instead of it having a female main character, maybe less people would be called misogynist.
>>
>>73488054
>Implying anyone actually complained about the chromosomal makeup of a Star Wars charter

Ishygddt
>>
>>73488054
Pacing, acting, characterization, violation of canon, choreography. the fact it shares a startling number of similarities to Spaceballs. The canon one is the worst in my eyes. Consistent canon is precisely what puts two things in the same world, the ST is so wildly off the mark with how Star Wars has always presented it's world, it can't even be called the same universe.
> instead of it having a female main character
MAYBE 1% of complaints even mention her gender.
>>
>>73488054
Claims of misogyny came before complaints about the films themselves, not in response TO complaints.
>>
>>73488105
Personally for me, the issue is much more with tone than canon. I get why people get hung up on canon, but I always found Star Wars to be a silly series that too much canon obsession dragged it down.

But while the sequel trilogy decides to not take canon too seriously, I think they also completely abandon tone and logic, at least towards the end.

Like one example I didn't like from Last Jedi- Luke dies. Which makes no sense- it's just copying what happened to Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan was cut in two by a lightsaber. Luke just made a force projection across the Galaxy, that's not something that should kill him off, but they did it just to do it.

And any semblance of trying to make sense was completely abandoned by bringing back Palpatine who dismisses the plot hole by repeating a meme line.
>>
>>73488168
Here's a fun game to play. Name one thing Rey accomplished in the trilogy. Something she did that made a difference.
>>
>>73488168
Stale pasta
>>
>>73488209
I mean she won the war against the First Order.

Granted the way she did it was extremely EXTREMELY stupid, but she still fits the stock hero role.
>>
>>73488221
>I mean she won the war against the First Order.
Did she? She never even fought the First Order. She did nothing to help destroy Starkiller Base, she didn't kill Snoke, she didn't destroy the Supremacy, nothing she did had any impact on the FO's defeat. She helped the Resistance escape at the end of TLJ, but the FO was in the same state then, as it was when ROS started, they were as "defeated" as they were ever going to get in the trilogy no matter what she did.

Now, if you mean the Final Order, Palpatine's crew, what would have happened without her? Someone else could have found the Wayfinder, nothing she personally did was essential, and the Resistance could have gone to Exogol and carried out the same plan and killed the fleet. Had she NOT gone, Palpatine would not have been able to heal himself, so he wouldn't be able to zap the fleet. If anything she was a hindrance. As for Palpatine, he *already* showed he could come back from death, she did nothing to keep him from doing it again later. Killing his body was literally nothing but a slight delay for him.
>>
>>73488280
I think he's supposed to be definitively dead- yeah the logic isn't there, but it's what the movie is telling us through the cinematic language.

But yeah, you've convinced me. They bend the plot around her, because somehow it seems they couldn't figure out a way to just give her obstacles to conquer.

Granted though, I think it's fair that she isn't a huge hero in the first movie, because there's a fakeout before it's revealed she's the jedi, and in Last Jedi she's off training (it should be noted Luke fails completely at all his goals in Empire strikes back), so I think Rise of Skywalker is the worst about it, because it's trying to pimp her out as a jedi master, without her really accomplishing anything of note despite being so juiced by the force.
>>
>>73488365
>they couldn't figure out a way to just give her obstacles to conquer.
Because then she would be struggling against something greater than herself, which means she's not Kathleen Kennedy's idealized perfect heroine to smugly flaunt in the faces of people who liked Luke. Rey never had to work to achieve anything, she never failed anything, every time she tried something new she just happened to be naturally talented at it. Side note, she's not a Jedi, and never will be. There are seven trials a student has to pass, she did maybe three. And since Disney has abandoned the character, she'll never get the rest.
>>
>>73484635
Introduce towns, NPC's, villains, big events and such trough song and encourage players to sing or write their own songs as well. Just imagine introducing your main villain like in Gaston's or Cruella deVille's song. I personally like the original idea behind the epic mickey games, which I believe were actually meant to be rpg's, where your moral choices have effect in the world. But also it's setting, an alternative darker disneyland where all the forgotten characters live and will eventually fade out of existence when no one remembers them anymore. Could be a cool setting for your game as well. I don't think I would run it in dnd 5e though. If you would I would personally tone the magic down since in the disney universe this is usually not something the heroes of the stories can do. Save that for the villains or the fairy godmother and such. Did you have an idea on how to run it yourself already?
>>
>>73487341
This, although Disney Villains Victorious has its own grimdark setting based on the animated canon so you'll have to do some worldbuilding of your own. But the system is tailor-made for Disney movies.
>>
>>73487341
>>73489069
This looks really interesting. Have you played it? Is it any good?
>>
>>73489152
No, but it started on /tg/, and I remember when it was being developed here several years go. 1d4chan has a pretty good article about it.
>>
File: 235235265.png (1.63 MB, 1904x1072)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
>>73484635
american dad did an ep about this
>>
>Walt Disney was actually inside the statue in front of Cinderella's Castle, aware the whole time
>Unfreezes on a timer after 50 years
>So disgusted with state of park he activates hidden protocols that erect impenetrable entropic field barriers derived from lost Easter Island UFO technology he discovered whilst researching Enchanted Tiki Room
>100,000 people now trapped in the parks
>The outside world has Literally no way to penetrate the barrier as it doesn't follow our laws of physics
>1,000 years go by
>population: 2.6 million
>Magic Kingdom is Walt's personal fortress/capital where people from all parts of The Kingdom come to intermingle. Worshiped as a God, he rules from his Castle which now rises over 1,500 meters tall. He enforces his rule via vicious Mouse Ear Robots
>Epcot is futuristic dystopia ruled over by the frozen head of Michael Eisner, who has since fused with the central computer in Spaceship Earth.
>Animal Kingdom is Death World, rich in resources and food but extremely dangerous due to the wildlife. Walt has introduced mutagenics and cloned dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasts that now roam freely.
>Hollywood Studios is a dieselpunk city that seeks to imitate the golden age of hollywood. Star Wars Land has been converted into a smugglers town and Toy Story Land the toy animatronics have become sentient and carved out a domain of their own
>Disney Springs is the district of the rich and hereditary nobility, mostly those who have gained Walts favor
>The Water Parks are now vital resource reservoirs full of aquatic predators
>Wild World of Sports has gladiatorial combat and human hunting
>Each Hotel has since sprung up its own town/community where most people live.
>Not wanting to be outdone by Disney, Jeffrey Katzenberg has since replicated much of Walt's technology and has taken control of Universal Studios
>A Great war now looms between the two Kingdoms
>>
File: Death.gif (942 KB, 500x200)
942 KB
942 KB GIF
>>73489390
>A Great war now looms between the two Kingdoms
I would fight for based king Walt
>>
File: download.png (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>73489390
>>Not wanting to be outdone by Disney, Jeffrey Katzenberg has since replicated much of Walt's technology and has taken control of Universal Studios
deepest lore comedy
>>
>>73484635
The power balancing would be all over the place and if you include all of the star wars stuff from the EU and vidya then it'd get real nuts. You'd also have to figure a way to connect all the worlds
>>
>>73489390
underappreciated bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.