[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 31657865317693576.png (7 KB, 210x240)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
some of my friends shoved me into a DM position never did a dm position any advise annons
>>
>>66736914
What game?
>>
>>66736955
d&d 5e
>>
>>66736966
I believe that if you look through the corebooks, there should already be a storyline set out for you. Don't sweat it OP, just use that storyline for now, and you can choose to make your own later.
>>
>>66736914
Adventure League has put out a lot of 3 hour adventures and you can get all but the newest ones at The Trove. Just use premade adventures until you get your feet under you.
I could also recommend watching some youtube videos on how to be a GM. DMs Lair, Taking20, Matt Colville, WASD20, and Web DM are all channels with good tips and advise.
Good luck, anon.
>>
>>66736914
>>66737581
has some sage advice. to add to that:
Read the Player's Handbook for any races and classes your players pick. Read the Dungeon Master's guide at least once cover to cover. Skim the stuff that doesn't apply to running the module you pick, like making a pantheon. Pay attention to the rest- you don't have to memorize it, but it provides tons of helpful advice and guidelines.

Remember that so long as you all have a good time, mistakes are okay and to be expected. Your first game is going to be bumpy no matter what, so be open to feedback and hopefully have some fun with it.
>>
Begone, frog.
>>
>>66737631
You have a point. I was going to give a very good advice, but I donĀ“t want to encourage frogposters.

Come back with another pic OP. Frogposting is cringe.
>>
>>66736914
Be consistent. If you make a bad call, don't retcon it, it's become your house rule. You made the call trying to run a good game so don't doubt yourself. Players will forgive a lot of mistakes but uncertainty is one of the things that will really upset them.
>>
>>66736914
Just don't fuck it up and you'll be fine.
Present the world with shit going on, then see if the players join in with the action or start their own. If neither, have them shanghaied by mercenary army recruiters, that's always fun.
>>
>>66737713
this is miserable advice.

talk to your players prior to the first session. explain that you have never DM'd before. ask THEM AS A GROUP if they would prefer for you to pause to look up rulings during the game, or rule as you see fit.

NOW IT IS ON THEM. if they are happy to wait, you now have no pressure, and can take a moment to look up extremely major rules mid-session. don't do this for every little petty thing, I'm talking if you forget fall damage so you don't instantly kill a player, or how to calculate monster rolls, or some shit that's going to be life-or-death.

either way, if you make a ruling in that session and you aren't sure about it, just make a note. write it down, and COMMIT to the ruling for that session. AFTER THE SESSION IS OVER, look up the shit you were unsure of. if you fucked up royally, explain to your players if you play again that you double-checked the rule and that you know how to properly rule it in the future. if you don't change it, say nothing.

consistency is important, but your game becoming a disgusting mess because you aren't playing by the rules is just terrible. they signed on to play 5e, not your homebrew system.
>>
>>66736914
I have a few sage words of advice

1. It's fine if you don't have something completely planned out, improv is more fun anyway.

2. Just because its in the book doesn't mean you have to let it go. I'm not saying that everything you don't like is terrible but if a player does something obviously bullshit its okay to veto it.

And finally 3. If your not having fun, no one is having fun. If you obviously aren't okay with dming and struggling it's okay to ask for a little break to collect yourself. Remember to have fun and you'll be fine (as long as you aren't being a dick of course)
>>
>>66736966
well then it's going to be shit no matter what you do, sorry
>>
>>66736914
best advice you'll ever get:
kill yourself frogposter
>>
>>66736914
Penetrate their asses to establish dominance. Make sure they know before the game even begins you are in charge. Once they willingly accept the penetration, then you can start playing
>>
Just make sure everyone is on the same page and moving in the same direction. I'm running a Call Of Cthulhu game atm where 2 of the party members are characters that have no reason or motivation to join the main group and solve mysteries, meaning every couple of minutes I have to put the main group on hold while I roleplay these assholes running their stupid accounting business and artist studio.
>>
>>66736914
Run a premade module, it'll remove so much stress. Read it over many times, rehearse descriptions or dialogue in your head, understand how everything in the module is connected and what could be done with each segment. It's ok to make mistakes.
>>
Check out One Page Dungeon Contest and run one of those. Perfect for a one-shot and to learn how to play.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.