[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

now that the dust has settled, why did he try to defend the 1-0 lead and do nothing?
>>
he's a coward. like many of my fellow countrymen
>>
>>114147187
he thinks it is a 10000iq move
if you score more goals your enemies win etc
>>
>>114147187
>Retards wanting club level football in a euro final. He did what most teams would do. Just got unlucky. Though he did fuck up on the late subs and penalty takers.
>>
>>114147236
Didn't mean to quote the whole thing. But you get the point.
>>
he was scared of england taking the most dangerous lead - 2-0
>>
File: soufgate.png (1.39 MB, 1198x1198)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
Barely any actual managerial experience. Wanted to push FA's globohomo agenda by having the three brave wogs score the decisive penalties to soak up all the praise and sponsorships. I mean fucking SAKA who has NEVER taken a penalty in a professional game gets to take one in the Euro final.
>>
>>114147187
His whole philosophy is that for international football its best to be defensive and not concede any goals. A final and a semi is very good results but a team with good players and a good coach can outsmart him. Also our midfield is weak. Italians won't like this but the final could have gone either way
>>
>>114147271
the final could have gone either way within the first 30 minutes, after that it was clear England wouldn't win imhotbhfam
>>
>>114147187
english managers just aren't very good. especially that generation of players that southgate yields from. you can't expect man with the managerial experience of getting relegated with middlesborough to know what to do in big games and in big moments
he gets plaudits for bringing a positivity back to the nt but it's not exactly hard to do that considering he took over from some dinosaurs and he gets to work with the best crop of english players for about 15 years
>>114147291
>the final could have gone either way within the first 30 minutes
still can't get over the fact we scored early and italy looked rattled and we did nothing to capitalise on it and the tone of the game shifted when they realised there was nothing to actually worry about
>>
>>114147187
Because your team is better than ours, we still can't create attacks against well-organised defences
And it worked okay, your one goal was very scrappy
>>114147291
>it was clear after 30 minutes
it went to penalties you spastic, this doesn't make any sense
>>
>>114147187
>Parks the bus after 1 goal against a NT who's history Is centered around that tactic

What did he try to prove
>>
>>114147187
He's a brainlet
Just a front man for the real (((bosses))) who run the FA now.
>>
>>114147448
>British education
It was clear Germany was not going to win in June 1944 wasn't it?
>>
bog sim would've won both the wc and euro
>>
>>114147721
If the war came down to the Allies and Axis each nominating one champion and having a pistol duel, winner takes all, then you would have an analogy that actually fits a penalty shootout
>>
>>114147777
Fair point. I stand corrected.
>>
>>114147187
i know you'll say i'm coping but he very nearly got away with it
>>
>>114147858
This
If you offered to me before the game that it would go to penalties I'd take your hand off
It's basically a 50% chance of winning, which is absolutely more than we had at the start of the day, and while Italy had more chances than us, it's not like they should've scored loads - the defence ultimately did well that day
>>
File: 1624617165891.png (1.08 MB, 1703x996)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>114147267
>Barely any actual managerial experience
>Outperforms previous England managers with decades of experience
???
I think a lot of you hate Southgate because he shatters your worldview. You probably think England were just unlucky in 2002 and 2004.
If a German or Italian manager with 5 league titles took England to a WC semi and then a Euro final, you wouldn't hear a peep of criticism.
>>
>>114147900
>he shatters your worldview
lmao in what way does gareth southgate shatter anybody's world view? If you're talking about his strict adherence to the globohomo agenda, surely that only enforces the world view of those who believe people like southgate are unthinking propagators of said agenda?
>>
>>114147916
I literally explained what I meant. You're mad because you expected him to be a complete failure when he's outperformed any manager since 1966 despite a mediocre squad for most of that time.
>>
>>114147187
i'd almost excised this match from my memory forever. i never want to think about it again. hate gareth so much it's unreal
>>
Another thread full of FIFA-wanking zoomers who have no idea how fucking shite England were from 1968 to 2016
>but but Gareff only beats the teams we're supposed to beat!
We couldn't even do that before he came along. We had players like Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and a world class defence and we'd labour to draws with the likes of fucking Macedonia.
>>
>>114147900
The current English team is the most balanced and most stacked in a few decades to say the least. Not like in 2002-2006 where the star players were Gerrard (midfielder), Scholes (midfielder), Lampard (midfielder) and Beckham (midfielder)
>>
>>114148000
>globohomos rig the tournament for you
>"LOOK HOW MUCH WE'VE IMPROVED"
>>
>>114148015
our forwards are shit outside of sterling who gareth keeps trying to play up front for some reason
>>
>>114148039
kek true
>>
>>114147958
Most of Bongland's players on PED's and have the strictest regiments due to the wages in the league. Nobody expected Southgate to do terrible. He did though, fucking horrible putting niggers to take penalties, but hey, you get what you deserve
>>
>>114148015
>The current English team is the most balanced and most stacked in a few decades to say the least
I only ever read praise of English players when it's a thread about how bad Southgate is
Everywhere else they're overrated, overpriced, overpaid shitters.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiEQcqZK-8
>>
>>114148119
Well there's very few positions where a english player is even 5 in Europe but your depth is a level above anyone else's. I wouldn't say Sterling, Grealish, Kane, Foden, Tammy, Ings Saka, Rashford, Watkins. Mount. DCL, Greenwood and Sancho are elite individuals, but the quantity alone is insane. England is the only team in the world that can refresh the entire attack and barely lose quality

Ironically England also has the coach most stubborn when it comes to substitutions, even with bigger squads and more subs being allowed because of covid
>>
As others have said, they didn't capitalize on Italy's shaky start in the first 30 minutes. Once Italy got their act together, clamping down the midfield, isolating Kane and Sterling, we literally were incapable of getting the ball up. Mount in the position he was in was less than useless, running to and fro like a headless chicken, opening up acres of space. Add Chiesa activating God Mode and the pressure we were facing was immense and we had nothing to respond with. If it weren't for Pickford and Italy's lack of clinical finishing, the game would never had gone to penalties, we were getting dominated. What was needed were smart subs and a total strategic reevaluation, neither of which came in time for the equalizer. Things settled down in extra time but by then all of our team were gassed and our forwards seemed to go missing.

Grealish needed to come on for Mount after half time as well as some further change of personnel and formation in the midfield if we were to have any chance of winning. This should never have gone to penalties, the occasion weighed too heavy on the lads for it to have gone any other way.
>>
>>114148000

This. I don't get the hate towards Southgate and his tactics. Getting to a semi final and a final in two consecutive tournaments is the best we have done since 1996. He's built a solid base and England are, generally, hard to breakdown and beat. Just need to improve going forward and they will be towards the latter stages of the next few tournaments.
>>
>>114148739
Literally one of the first posts explaining the hate
>>
>>114148015
Terry, Ferdinand, and Rooney were all considered world class at the time, that's a spine you should be able to do some real damage with, and the other players (Neville, A. Cole, Owen) were no mugs either.
Only real weaknesses were goalkeepers and proper wingers
>>
>>114147448
>we still can't create attacks against well-organised defences
This. Saw it against Poland and the latest Hungary game. Our forward structure needs reconfiguring. With the subs in the last match, I think Gareth might be waking up to this.
>>
>>114148748
If you honestly believe that sancho, saka and rashford took penalties because they are black and it would look good for diversity you are too far gone, there's no helping you. Both rashford and sancho both had good penalty records going in to it and they had all performed well at pens in training. Is it still dumb to go off this and not consider the pressure?
of course it is.
>>
File: sven-goran-eriksson.jpg (397 KB, 2500x1844)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>114147187
Sven team can beat Gareth team?
>>
>>114148962
Your brain has literally been replaced with globohomo matter.
>>
>>114148765
>Defense: Elite except for the goalkeeper
>Midfield: Filled with stars that play in the same position
>Offense: Crouch, crooked Michael Owen, Rooney and literal who wingers

I know they say defense wins you titles but this is too much
>>
>>114147958
He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
But hey I won't complain, Italy has been the far better team all competition, England was a struggling team all competition besides vs Ukraine and you fucks were insufferable on /sp/.
>>
>>114147187
Traumatized on behalf of his horrifically racially abused players. England should be given the win.
>>
>>114148985
>has one good striker and several elite central midfielders
>plays 4-4-2
Weirdly enough his tactics never got criticised as much as Gareth's. People were too afraid to question a fancy-dan foreigner who had a couple of meme trophies under his belt.
>>
>>114149109
>People were too afraid to question a fancy-dan foreigner who had a couple of meme trophies under his belt.
It was more like that armchair management was far rarer in general before the advent of all sorts of publications and videos that make people think they know all there is to know about being a football manager.
You might go down the pub and say "Why's that donkey Hargreaves playing again" but actual attempts at serious tactical analysis were rare
>>
>>114148882
>With the subs in the last match, I think Gareth might be waking up to this.
Possibly, but he still made the mistake of taking off Grealish before Kane or Sterling even though Grealish was the only one making any attacking effort
>>
Cholo mentality
>>
The defeat was all his fault and he cowardly hid in cover under the "muh waycism" storm to keep his job.
Utterly shameless individual.
>>
>>114148997
You'd rather believe what you want to because it suits your world view rather than what the facts suggest
>>
Nothing wrong with trying to hold a lead against a much better side.

Garref’s issues are always his subs, Mount was useless and somehow played 100mins. Instead of subbing in players with fresh legs to try and win he waits until penalties and it backfired horribly.
>>
>>114149313
Yeah, he puts way too much trust in Kane and Sterling. It's understandable, they had a good Euros (Sterling more than Kane) but they're in bad form atm and while that may change come Qatar, an alternative system has to be developed for when they are playing shit and can't break down defences. Dunno what that system would look like though.
>>
>>114149502
unless you're Italy on a good day you will not hold a lead defending for 70 minutes
>much better side
and that wasn't the case
>>
>>114149109
Sven win Serie A against prime Milan and Inter, Gareth win nothing, onl destroy Steve McLaren's Great Middlesbrough
>>
war flashbacks
>>
>>114148997
You dumb fucking leaf at least try to argue your point.
>>
>>114148962
the two hardly played all fucking euros sancho shouldn't be taking a pen while only playing one fucking game, the subs was shit, letting saka take the final pen was shit he is a shit manager
>>
>>114147243
>Didn't mean to quote the whole thing
>quotes it anyway
pick one and only one my dude
>>
>>114149581
>unless you're Italy on a good day you will not hold a lead defending for 70 minutes
this
expecting to contain a great team for 70 minutes is crazy. maybe with 30 minutes left to play sure but jeez.
i was resigned to defeat when chiellini started roaming as a playmaker in the second half
>>114150652
>the two hardly played all fucking euros sancho shouldn't be taking a pen while only playing one fucking game, the subs was shit, letting saka take the final pen was shit he is a shit manager
i don't understand football at a high level really so i can understand the idea of taking statistically the best penalty takers from training and stuff but there's also a level to it where you want the players to step up for it rather than level to it
grealish said he wanted to take one and if i have a player wanting to take one, i'd pick him over a kid any day. not to mention dcl was also there who has scored pens for england before.
it's unfortunate because harry kane is only the out and out penalty taker from that squad who takes them consistently at club level and consistently buries them. i really just wish he took jwp to the finals.
for me it's kane/maguire/grealish/jwp/dcl
>>
File: 1630101309942.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>114147187
Thats how we won copa America
>>
>>114147187
Because they'd only conceded once before the entire tournament. He was playing to their strengths, I suppose.
>>
>>114150756
Rashford would always be above Grealish in terms of penalties, he usually knocks them home and Grealish has only ever scored 1. Psychologically, Rashford must have been fucked to have such a poor touch. Ironically, it was a great feint, sent Donnarumma flying the other way. Saka should never have taken one. In fact, Trippier should probably have stayed on.
>>
>>114147680
Same as every England manager then.
There's a reason the likes of Clough, Kendall, Paisley, never got it. The FA select committee handed the reins to Ramsey (Winterbottom was FA) and despite his success decided they wanted control back because the England team is more about a shop window for big clubs. After the advent of the CL and PL it was game over to any idea of an England manager who had full control.
>>
>>114149109
a proper manager would have convinced shearer to come back for 2002
>>
>>114148039
take your fucking meds
>>
>>114149581
>and that wasn't the case
italy was absolutely the better side...england's defence might be better but i'd hope so given how many right backs southgate keeps shoving into the squad
the midfield wasn't even a contest which is why it was 120 minutes of passbacks and italy putting on massive pressure without ever once being out of control of the game
>>
>>114147187
Like acciughina
>>
>>114149040
England during that time made a mess on how to use their stacked midfield. They always had great strikers and their main weakness are their goalkeepers.
>>
File: polbot.png (17 KB, 200x198)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>114147916
>lmao in what way does gareth southgate shatter anybody's world view? If you're talking about his strict adherence to the globohomo agenda, surely that only enforces the world view of those who believe people like southgate are unthinking propagators of said agenda?
>>
>>114147267
>>114147187
he looks…. you know….
>>
>>114154354
are you implying he's one of 《《them》》?
>>
>>114152912
You had such an easy path to the final.
>>
>>114147721
Shut the fuck up, retard.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.