[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1659207170450.jpg (63 KB, 976x549)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
I've been examining the recent push over the past few years to replace traditional proteins with insect protein in the Western diet and it's gotten me thinking. Is it actually viable to replace traditional protein derived from red and white meat with that derived from insects? Off of the top of my head the first issue is that places where insects are traditionally eaten such as Latin America, Subsaharan Africa, and Southern Asia tend have warm and tropical environmental conditions that support large and dense insect populations year-round while cultures that don't traditionally eat insects such as those in Northern Eurasia have harsh winters that insects can't survive in any meaningful capacity. There's also the risk of protein poisoning but I'm not sure if that applies fully to what's being proposed as I assume the insect protein would be supplemented by other nutrients. Also I personally just find insects yucky and prefer eating red meat.
>>
mycoprotein is better

not wasting chemical energy on dumb shit like chitin and legs
>>
>>15011401
They have too many anti-nutrients, which is the whole idea. The occupiers of most Western nations want to encourage malnutrition in order to make a less revolt-prone population while they implement their plans.
>>
>>15011425
>The occupiers of most Western nations want to encourage malnutrition in order to make a less revolt-prone population while they implement their plans.
This. It's the cheap low-quality gruel for the modern age, similar to oat gruel the ruling elite allowed the peasant class to have in the Dark Ages.
Thread/
>>
>>15011401
The bug thing isn't even about food, it's about land. They want all the land devoted to cattle to instead host tenements full of brown people to vote democrat.
>>
>>15011507
>people to vote
Like voting even works anymore with all the mail-in-voter-fraud and Dominion machines changing votes.
>>
>>15011424
There's chitin in the mycoprotein. I get what you mean though, and didn't really know about this as a viable protein replacement. How does it taste though? I know mushrooms impart an umami flavor, but I don't know how mycoprotein translates that.
>>
>>15011425
>They have too many anti-nutrients
not really. People always exaggerate those but most foods people lie have them to some extent.

>>15011507
the instant the developing world switches to cattle farming the world is done for. We can't even handle the amount of farm emissions today!
>>
>>15011679
>emissions
You're NGMI if you still believe that fraud.
>>
>>15011683
It's been well known and documented lol.
>>
>>15011401
I will not eat the bugs.
>>
>>15011424
Still has chitin smoothbrain. Meat is the best. Peasants will be fed soi protein isolate.
>>
File: 1669361879970.webm (2.3 MB, 320x568)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB WEBM
Eating insects is the inevitable future. It's the only sustainable source of protein. Meat, milk, cheese and eggs are just too bad for climate change.
>>
>>15011555
I think Quorn tastes pretty great. It's not comparable to meat, least of all the texture, but even less so to seitan or tofu. It's its own thing.
>>
File: 1668375554046743.jpg (84 KB, 512x512)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>15011692
THE. SCIENCE. IS. SETTLED.
>>
>>15011401
Two things you have to do with insects to do what you want. Pasteurize them to kill bacteria/parasites/viren + concentrate the proteins by extracting water content. This can be done by putting insects in a cyclotron centrifuge to get rid of the chitin and then boiling the resulting protein mix and then flavoring and dehydrating it to taste and consistency.
Here is a prototype "Bio-Bar". With some modification and some onions bean texturisation you can make full amino-acid requirement meat like products.

https://www.reddit.com/r/awfuleverything/comments/pgge9p/protein_bar/
>>
>>15011507
No they want the cattle gone because they produce methane emissions and destroy natural ecosystems
>>
>>15011401
Leviticus 11:42 Do not eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it crawls on its belly or walks on four or more feet; for such creatures are detestable. You are not to eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it moves on its belly or walks on all fours or on many feet; it is unclean.
>>
>>15011424

Humans have brush-border enzymes in rhe small intestine that can break down chitin so it's not a waste. Also pretty clear demonstration insects were part of homo sapiens diet throughout their evolutionary history.
>>
>>15011401
the only place i see this pushed is on 4chan. if there was a conspiracy to push this, id guess it has to do with reducing the amount of meat farms. methane is a worse green house and cows make a lot of it. I have noticed fast food is trying to push chicken eating more.
>>
>>15011401
Eating bugs isn't some insane just discovered food hack. If they were really that good we would of all been eating them way before now. Also the people who want you to eat bugs aren't scientists it's just rich fucks trying to make a cheap buck by convincing retards to eat trash
>>
>>15012072
Lab grown/cultured meat is becoming more viable, would take care of the emissions problem, and in the long term might be just as efficient as farming insects, or better.
Insects still require massive amounts of grain to raise, there's not much benefit to doing that on a massive scale, unless it's really a conspiracy to make our food less nutritious
>>
>>15012072
>>15012134
Hello glowies, please go to /pol/. This is the science and math board.
>>
>>15012072
it's been showing up on normiebook.

it isn't 'pushed' like government figures telling you to eat ze bugs, it is subtly suggested, 'she eats this 1 superfood to stay fit!' type astroturfing
>>
>>15013044
Probably followed immediately by the normalfag meltdowns on facebook that insist all the meat is going away. For people that vilify behaving like domesticated livestock, they sure do an exemplary job of being predictable domesticated livestock.
>>
>>15011987
I've seen mixed reviews on the flavor and texture of it, seeminly variable from product to product. It looks like it's more mold-based than mushroom though. Do you notice that comes out at all in the taste? Food is evidently where I have some imbedded autism and am becoming more avoidant with a lot of meats due to texture, and more often now the taste.
>>
>>15013064
i fucking love quorn - it's got a very similar texture to chicken nuggets, with a less chicken-like flavor. the flavor isn't all that strong, but it's meaty enough to not have the texture dominate the experience
incalculably better than plant proteins in both flavor and texture IMO
>>
>>15011425
Malnourished populations are more likely to revolt though?
>>
File: kfkjk.jpg (8 KB, 255x197)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>15012029
>>15012051
>>15012067
>>15012072
>>15012134
>>15013064
>>15013141
>>15011738
>Eating insects is the inevitable future. It's the only sustainable source of protein. Meat, milk, cheese and eggs are just too bad for climate change.
KEK! The WEF bots are out.
>>
>>15013142
They're angrier, but less physically capable.
>>
>>15013142
>Malnourished populations are more likely to revolt though?
True, but over a couple generations of eating non-red meat diets, their IQ and general health will be much much poorer and lower.

Look at the typical Indian (eastern) that eats only chicken as their main protein source, and how little, skinny, weak, and low testosterone they are.

Human evolution took a huge leap when they domesticated cattle and began eating quality meat like beef. IQ's rose substantially and longevity improved. Beef is only harmful when it is overcooked.
>>
>>15012029
Solent green is people!
>>
>>15013153
Beef also helps in that it comes with increased dairy production, another great protein source for bulking.
>>
>>15013141
I like tofu quite a bit, but there's a lot of extra bullshit that you have to go through with pressing it first. I'll look for the chicken nugget kinds. The only textures that are unsalvageable are tendony/cartilage and gritty, so it'll probably be fine. Thanks for your suggestions.
>>15013148
>WEF bots
Unless you're butchering your own meat or live in a country with actual standards (ie: not America), your meats are filled with more toxic shit than a Chinese sewer. We can play pretend, we're going to eat the shit anyway.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.