[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I mean it fast Food must go away permanently.

It's bad for human health. It's bad for the environment and most importantly it's bad for the economy. We are spending billions of dollars each year on subsidizing the meat industry to make us all unhealthy. We have to stop this immediately
>>
File: merica.jpg (1 MB, 2200x1189)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>14869054
You might get your wish. Rising labor costs are causing fast food price to increase faster than the already high inflation rate. Perhaps fast food companies will invest in more automation to moderate the raising labor costs but even that will have its own (possibly smaller) upward pressure on fast food prices.
>>
File: sharkfries.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>14869054
>>14869081
lol, absolutely not. You're greatly underestimating how many people worldwide would shiv their own mums if it meant keeping Taco Bell or McDonald's open for another year.
If you managed to kill one franchise (which you can't) fifty others would immediately pop up trying to fill its void because the orphaned customer base is literally an endless ocean of zero effort revenue.
>>
>>14869108
>You're greatly underestimating how many people worldwide would shiv their own mums if it meant keeping Taco Bell or McDonald's open for another year.

There wouldn't be anywhere near as many people doing that than there are now because the main reason is because the prices are artificially low
>>
>>14869108
That image reeks of gay american dweebism.
>>
The smells that come out of my asshole as so pleasantly awful. I love cutting the cheese and just, inhaling, deeply inhaling, the effluvium.
>>
>>14869054
It's hard to make a claim about its impact on human health, the environment, and the economy because you can't separate our modern lifestyle from the existence of fast food. Vatican city doesn't have any fast food restaurants for instance, and they are all insane.
>>
>>14869198
>effluvium
The fuck is that
>>
>>14869204
>because you can't separate our modern lifestyle from the existence of fast food

Just imagine what life was like back in the '50s That's exactly what life was like without fast food
>>
Fast food has brought us atheism, incredible technology, cool video games, and cute anime girls. I say keep it.
>>
>>14869149
If there were no cheap fast food options then whatever the cheapest fast food option is would becime the new definition of cheap.
What won't happen is everyone who eats fast food learning how to cook instead.
Basically you're underestimating how much people either don't know and/or don't want to cook. And when you go to the closest thing to not cooking that isn't fast food you're talking boomer microwave dinners like swansons / hungry man's. A day or two of those is enough to get the person subjected to it looking for the nearest McDonald's or Pizza Hut again.
>>
>>14869054
Fast food isn’t unhealthy.
>>
>>14869664
If the price of fast food exceeds a person's income, they simply won't be able to buy it. People are lazy but if they can't afford lazy, they'll have to find another way.
>>
>>14869684
There’s an actual crisis going on if fast food is out of most people’s reach.
>>
>>14869684
The "other way" in your post-apocalyptics scenario would be people freaking out and rioting / looting.
You're talking "nobody can afford a Taco Bell taco or McDonalds cheeseburger," anon. This wouldn't be met with "oh well, better learn how to cook wholesome, nutritious family meals!"
You're incredibly gullible if you didn't thought the latter would happen.
No fast food would be equivalent to civilization collapse.
>>
>>14869684
>>14869717
*if you thought
>>
>>14869717
If fast food is unaffordable then food in general isn’t affordable people would be making makeshift weapons and heading towards the nearest center of governance
>>
>>14869772
Exactly, yeah. There's no such thing as "no fast food" unless we're also talking "no more civilization."
>>
>>14869791
It’s not even a modern thing. Similar establishments would pop up wherever customers were plentiful regardless of the time period or region; the only difference was they weren’t part of corporate brands, at least not as much as today, and the lack of refrigeration limited what was on offer. We even have preserved graffiti from Pompeii giving restaurant reviews.
>>
>>14869054
No one likes taxes, but if you accept they are necessary to a modern society to function, then I would argue they are often poorly implemented.

Natural Resource Management (NRM) major reporting in. Firstly, I recognize I am wasting my time here and anything I post will be ignored or act like a lightening conductor to the subhumans that make up a lot of this board's users.

Among the various interesting things I learned was cost analysis. Its very simple. You work out what something costs. The tricky part is making a cost assessment when information is less than perfect, when the fiscal time frame is measured over decades, and then figuring how to pay for it as fairly as possible. This also has to take into account lost income from implementing any new policy ( lost jobs, effects of decreased consumer spending, administration and enforcement costs, etc )

Now applying this to fast foods it seems obvious that the major detrimental cost of fast food is borne by the health sector. But there are also secondary costs ( which I will ignore for now ). Taking the most simple approach the issue can be fixed by taxing fast food to a level which approximates the health and secondary costs.

This is not rocket science. Many graduated tax systems have successful curtailed other unhealthy and expensive behaviors in some countries around the world. Smoking tobacco is a good example. Some countries (finally) recognized that smoking has a severe impact on its people and contributes a substantial financial burden on government health services. A cost borne by the taxpayers themselves. So the governments implemented a graduated tax on tobacco products which steadily increased every year, eventually reaching a level where the tax revenue paid not only for the health care costs associated with tobacco, support costs ( financing systems to help people quit smoking, like cheap gum and patches ) but also the other associated opportunity costs.

TLDR. Tax it.
>>
>>14869887
There is no detriment to fast food whatsoever.
>>
>>14869913
>act like a lightening conductor to the subhumans
The subhuman thinks I am going to get drawn into a debate with it over a self evident issue.
>>
>>14869054
For me it's the mcchicken.
>>
>>14869919
Ah yes the issue of people having easy access to food so they don’t die
>>
>>14869054
Meat industry?
You think it's meat industry that makes average american woman 50 lbs overweight? No.

It's the refined sugar and GMO corn syrup.

>>14869108
> others would immediately pop up trying to fill its void because the orphaned customer base is literally an endless ocean of zero effort revenue.
Because it's addicted to fast food, anon. Your image is exactly right.
Sugar is number one allowed addictive substance on the planet. Sugar in fastfood is everywhere - in the buns, in ketchup, in fake goysop meat, in fake fries, x5 daily max allowed volume for adults in the drink, etc.
>>
>>14870139
You gain weight from eating more calories than you burn. No other factors exist.
>>
>>14869887
Amigo, it's all nice and dandy.
But fast food is addictive.

They already tried to tax sugar drinks in NYC and Philadelphia. People addicted to sugar drinks produced by Coca Cola and PepsiCo didn't stop drinking less. Because they are addicted, buddy anon.

Government loves tax, that's why government likes more tax, that's why government likes fast food and coca cola companies - more addicts, more regular customers, more tax revenue.

Did it solve obesity crisis? Did it solve the fact that Obesity charts and diabetes are through the roof? No.
You don't fix addiction with a tax.
>>
>>14870139
>Your image is exactly right.
>Sugar is number one allowed addictive substance on the planet.
Taco Bell nacho fries are pretty low sugar
You would need to eat 11 orders of nacho fries just to match the sugar in a single little 8 ounce cup of orange juice.
Nacho fries are high in fat and salt.
>>
>>14870148
You gain weight when a supersized Coca Cola drink contains x5 times maximum allowed , according to World Health Organization , amount of sugar for adults - for a day.

And refined sugar and corn syrup go right through liver any barriers directly into blood.
And then directly via you to you stomach to be there as fat.
>>
>>14870160
People get obese because they overeat. There’s no way to stop them from overeating without social pressure and legal coercion.
>>
>>14870170
>You gain weight when a supersized Coca Cola drink contains x5 times maximum allowed , according to World Health Organization , amount of sugar for adults - for a day.
WHO making up stupid bullshit; what a surprise.
Two liters of soda is about 800 calories. It’s not very impressive.
>>
>>14870171
No, because they over drink sugar.
They drink those crazy sugar drinks.
If food is normal you can stop overeating.
If food is counterfeited , like fast "food" is, it uses various tricks and addictions to hook people so that they don't notice they are addicted.
Then they over eat. But the original problem is it has extremely high refined sugar content (GMO corn syrup is the same).
>>
>>14870177
Calorie =/= calorie.
What a stupid bullshit. What a surprise.

Go eat a bucket of carrots and eggs. Or a 2 liter coca cola. And do it for 6 months. And see how well you do.
>>
>>14870178
>No, because they over drink sugar
You will not get fat even eating a pure sugar diet as long as you don’t eat more calories worth of sugar than you burn in a day. One pound of sugar is 1750 calories, so I could eat an entire pound of sugar per day and lose weight. Sugar simply tastes nice and is relatively calorically dense, so it’s one of the easier ways to enter a calorie surplus.
>But the original problem is it has extremely high refined sugar content (GMO corn syrup is the same).
Completely harmless substances outside of their calorie content.
>>
>>14870181
>Calorie =/= calorie.
Wow, physics disproven by retard on 4Chan

>Go eat a bucket of carrots and eggs. Or a 2 liter coca cola. And do it for 6 months. And see how well you do.
If they have the same amount of calories, there’d be no difference in weight.
>>
>>14870184
>One pound of sugar is 1750 calories, so I could eat an entire pound of sugar per day and lose weight.

No you can't. Sugar goes right through blood barrier directly into your fat. You'll get fat extremely fast.
This was by design since we didn't have pounds of refined sugars lying around, and summer season was short, so people ate fruits that are very sweet.
While eating buckets of carrots and eggs you will never get fat.
>>
>>14869672
This. Saying fast food is unhealthy is an attempt to impose a false nutritional standard, and by doing so, you are perpetuating white supremacy, body shaming, and fatphobia.

This is settled science, and you are a bigot and a pro-russian conspiracy theorist if you disagree. https://youtu.be/KbTt080sEHw?t=15
>>
>>14870177
>>14870181
You're both dumb.

Yes, consuming 800 calories in healthy food is metabolically equivalent to consuming 800 calories in soda and will leave you at the same body weight.

But the person consuming a ton of empty calories will consume more calories in general because they feel less satiated.
>>
>>14870194
>No you can't. Sugar goes right through blood barrier directly into your fat. You'll get fat extremely fast.
What the fuck are you talking about? Fat is just calories stored for later; if you aren’t eating enough calories to sustain yourself, your body will break down it’s own fat cells in order to live; thus causing weight loss over time whilst in a calorie deficit. Not losing weight while in a calorie deficit would violate physical laws.
>>
>>14870187
>>Calorie =/= calorie.
>Wow, physics disproven
I shortened it for you since you are special guy who needs things in very short phrases.

Calories from Apples or Carrots =/= Calories from refined sugar

Calories from Eggs =/= Calories from refined sugar.

Is this more clear?

If you buy a Lamborgini and fill it up with a greese from Macdonalds, you will not go to far. But if you fill it up with 98 octane you'll do better. Is that more clear?
>>
>>14870198
There’s no such thing as “healthy food”. There’s just food, and if you eat too much food, you get fat. Different foods have different macro and micro nutrients and different rations of those relative to how many calories they have, which can be used to meal plan and attain whatever particular goal you have; like bulking or cutting.
>>
>>14870206
>Fat is just calories stored for later; if you aren’t eating enough calories to sustain yourself, your body will break down it’s own fat cells in order to live;

No, this is not what I am talking about.
You overeat. Because you drink too much sugar in your drinks if you eat at fast food like Macdonald's.
You will never be able to eat less calories at Macdonalds and starve. It is impossible. It is designed to be addictive so that you OVEREAT. Including massive sugar shock in Coke.
>>
>>14870187
Energy is more available in some forms than others. Refined sugar is easily translated into blood sugar, whereas healthier food requires more work and is thus less bio-available.
>>
>>14870207
Calories from Apples or Carrots =/= Calories from refined sugar
Calories from Eggs =/= Calories from refined sugar.

They’re identical, actually. A calorie is a unit of energy, the capacity to perform work, and is the same everywhere, everywhen, no matter what. A pound of lead weighs exactly the same as a pound of feathers; the feathers are just more voluminous, which could be compared to how different foods have different calorie densities, allowing you to toy with satiety to prevent hunger without entering a calorie surplus.
>>
>>14870213
I eat McDonald’s pretty frequently and don’t overeat. Maybe you’re just mentally weak lol
>>
>>14870214
Sure, but it’s not a huge factor. Proteins are the most favorable in this sense if you want to reduce your calorie intake; digesting them takes somewhere between a fifth and a third of the calories contained within.

>whereas healthier food requires more work and is thus less bio-available.
Lower calorie does not equate to healthier. Fats are very bioavailable; that doesn’t mean fats are unhealthy or you shouldn’t eat them; in fact, not eating them will literally kill you. There’s a phenomenon called “rabbit starvation”, a form of nutrient deficiency that can prove fatal caused by getting most of your calories from protein like lean meat. It’s named after rabbits, which are lean.
>>
>>14870220
>A calorie is a unit of energy, the capacity to perform work

But you have to live on this , ideally for 80+ years.
Or you can die from diabetes or when you arteries clog at 45.

A calorie from Apples or Carrots =/= Calorie from refined sugar.

The stomach has 10x more bacteria in it than there are cells in your body. Almost all of it is beneficial and helps you digest food. You also feed bacteria.

Do you know, Anon , what they use to grow refined sugar with in labs?

Cancer.

Calorie is an empty unit that means nothing outside of what exactly it is that you are feeding your Lamborgini...err body and your bacteria in your stomach.
>>
>>14870235
The difference between 800 measured calories worth of sugar and 800 measured calories worth of veggies is quite big, because almost all the sugar will be absorbed while much of the energy in vegetables isn't available to the human body.

Keeping in mind that food calories are determined not by human digestion but effectively by total energy content.
>>
>>14870236
>But you have to live on this , ideally for 80+ years
Why in God’s name would you want to be fucking eighty?
>Or you can die from diabetes or when you arteries clog at 45.
That’s past schedule, if anything. Being old sucks ass and you should die before senescence starts to be a serious bother.

>Cancer.
You mean HeLa cells? Cancer cells are not any different from regular cells except that they’re immortal; they’ve lost their built-in Heyflick limits and as such grow continually without limit as long as they have the nutrients needed to do so.
>>
>>14870244
>The difference between 800 measured calories worth of sugar and 800 measured calories worth of veggies is quite big
Eh. The calories from an apple are primarily from carbohydrates and fats, which are easy to digest. Celery is similar, but with more protein than fats, with both being lesser than carbohydrates; so the difference would probably be no greater than 10-15%, being generous, so 800 calories of vegetables could come out to 680 calories when the effort of digestion is taken into account.
>because almost all the sugar will be absorbed while much of the energy in vegetables isn't available to the human body.
That’s not true at all. Listed calorie counts for vegetables do *not* count undigestable cellulose; that’s listed as fiber.
>>
>>14870248
>Being old sucks ass
That's if you feed your Lamborgini grease from Macdonalds.
>Why in God’s name would you want to be eighty?
Why , you don't want to see your grand kids? Maybe there going to be boys anons that would need your wisdom and your guidance.
>>
Ok good talking to you anons, I am out to sleep.
Have a nice life.
>>
>>14870265
>That's if you feed your Lamborgini grease from Macdonalds.
That’s cope. The fittest person on Earth will begin declining in their late 30s just like everyone else, they just have better margins between their current state and frailty.
>Why , you don't want to see your grand kids? Maybe there going to be boys anons that would need your wisdom and your guidance.
They can whip out a Ouija Board if they want to summon me forth from the astral realm
>>
>>14870274
>The fittest person on Earth will begin declining in their late 30s

That's why you don't really want to be the Fittest person. Because likely that person stretched his body too much - over exercising, steroids, broken bones, pulled muscles, pain relive drugs etc. They over use their body and decline very fast.
You don't need to be the fastest or the fittest. 99.99% of us aren't.
>>
>>14870280
I have no interest in mediocrity. As strong and fast as possible, hit that peak, then I’ll take death over weakening.
>>
>>14869054
>>>/pol/
>>
File: ckn.png (157 KB, 400x295)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>14869054
I will cut you if you fux wit my chicken breh
>>
>>14869664
>If there were no cheap fast food options then whatever the cheapest fast food option is would become the new definition of cheap.

No the supermarket would be the new definition of cheap
>>
>>14870706
You don't seem to understand lots of people will never cook and even the ones who don't cook won't choose supermarker over fast food for long given how much worse microwave meals are compared to fast food.
>>
>>14870728
>for long given how much worse microwave meals are compared to fast food.
Every microwave dinner I had was far better than McDonald's.
>T.walmart janitor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.