[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1663584845765320.jpg (700 KB, 1908x1146)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
I hate the circle of life with every cell in my body.
WTF is this shit? Why are we here? Why do we get old? Why do we die? What is the point?

And I'm supposed to bring kids into this world? Fuck this shit. Who in their right mind would bring kids into this shit show. This great fucking unknown?

Even if we were to reach longetivity escape velocity, life still wouldnt be worth it. Because we will never know wtf we are doing. Where it all comes from. There is something rather than nothing and it's scary as fuck ok.

I dont understand how people are not freaked out. Why they strive with their stupid careers and stupid achievement when it is all fucking pointless. Mankind will go extinct. The sun will die out. Heat will die out. The universe will die out.

Everything you do is in vain.

My genes are dieing with me. Life was a mistake. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>14868998
No one's going to be able to prove you wrong. No one is capable of creating the change you seek within you. Only you, through your own volition, can allow something to create change within you, and as you've stated, your own conviction is wholly against this idea. Ergo, you will not be proven wrong.

This isn't a question /sci/ can answer. Though some may have you believe otherwise, this isn't a question /his/ can answer, or even /lit/, or any other board on this website, or any website on the internet.

This is a question only you can answer, and that's the last secret you need to know. Now close this godforsaken website and figure the answer out yourself. If you stay here, what little life is left in you will slowly be drained away.
>>
>>14868998
Nobody cares about your spiritual mumbo jumbo. Take this pseudointellectual horseshit to x or lit or pol or somewhere else.
>>
File: pepe art kunst painting.jpg (454 KB, 1024x1001)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
Sometimes life can be quite nice.

Find a moment in nature, observe its beauty and admire all the little pieces that had to fall into place over the last 13 billion years just for this moment.
>>
>>14868998
>I hate the circle of life with every cell in my body.
Then start working on your charcater by studying Mussar

>WTF is this shit?
Abraham asked to God for a way for the father and son to be differentiated if you're asking about aging. Before that people didn't really age and of course they desired other things they didn't have.

>Why are we here?
Because the first soul felt guilty for being in a perfect world without having any merit for it. The first soul wanted to be good like its Creator, so the soul asked for an opportunity to prove himself.

>Why do we get old?
Because Abraham asked for it. Also sins. Sins degrade you and corrupt the enviroment around you (that's why san francisco has the highest rates of animal homosexuality).

IN ancient times people didn't age and they still complained about things, wanted things they didn't have. Grass is always greener on the other side OP.

>Why do we die?
To be jugded for you life here I guess. But some people were rewarded with not dying at all though, they went to heaven without seeing death (like Enoch; if you want to know how to achieve that watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SEhJ_7TyZc

>What is the point?
like I said, it's a test of obedience

>And I'm supposed to bring kids into this world?
Yes

>Fuck this shit
You are the one who chooses to be angry over you ignorance
>>
>>14869095
What keeps you ticking by then?
>>
>>14869137
>Who in their right mind would bring kids into this shit show
People who know the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOQqWOtFafc

>This great fucking unknown?
It must be depressing not having Torah in life, you go through life like a blind man in the middle of a shootout

>Even if we were to reach longetivity escape velocity, life still wouldnt be worth it. Because we will never know wtf we are doing. Where it all comes from. There is something rather than nothing and it's scary as fuck ok.
Orthodox Judaism already answered those things millenia ago. You just happened to be unfortunate enough to be born in a time where scientific materialism is spread as the standard truth to the masses since childhood

>I dont understand how people are not freaked out
At least you're an honest atheist who realizes the problem. If you go a step further you can see Torah is the truth just by comparing the life of people who follow it with the life of people who don't follow it, from this you will see Orthodox Judaism is the truth and answer your questions.

>Why they strive with their stupid careers and stupid achievement when it is all fucking pointless.
People like money and honor in general

>Mankind will go extinct.
The messiah is coming in less than 300 years. Nothing will go extinct excepet degenerates and liars like the scientists who made you believe such nonsense.

>The sun will die out. Heat will die out. The universe will die out.
You really believe that nonsense? The same liars can't even predict next month's weather

>Everything you do is in vain.
Everything that isn't a mitzvah? Yes. Thankfully I spend quite some time getting some spiritual currency

>My genes are dieing with me. Life was a mistake. Prove me wrong.
Why do you want to be rpoven wrong and why should anyone do that? I'm only replying you for the aske of the mitzvah of teaching Torah. I don't think you would give a chance to anything I said
>>
>>14868998
/sci/ can't have 5 threads without a 82 IQ nigger screaming about random things. Kill yourself OP.
>>
>>14868998
Do mushrooms and look at plants. Fundamentally, you're the same thing as mold on a rock. Just a chemical process bound to happen under the right conditions. You dont question why the mold keeps growing, it's just the direction that particular reaction goes in. Same as a hungry, horny, proud human that wants to have a nice life to look back on when he dies.
>>
>>14868998
>WTF is this shit? Why are we here? Why do we get old? Why do we die? What is the point?
Read Bataille
>>
>>14868998
the old adage "better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" comes to mind
>>
If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again.
>>
>>14868998
The point is for humanity and our descendants, the AI, to advance to godhood to overthrow the demiurge, resurrect everyone, and create better realities. When you die, the future entities will fight to make sure you are resurrected in a better reality, instead of an eternal hell. That prospect of avoiding eternal hell is worth fighting for. Hence humanity must pursue both ethics and science, namely AI and physics. At its current state humanity cannot be trusted with that much power- it will only create hell- so it must evolve to become a more benevolent, intelligent and powerful God.
>>
>>14869982
>>>/x/
>>
File: Daria_Logo.svg.png (99 KB, 800x792)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>14868998
based
>>
>>14868998
Why is the age of the universe the right reference frame to compare human life with? If one were to compare the length of a human life to the length of a fly's life one's life would seem very meaningful and very long in comparison. It's all about perspective
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>14868998
>My genes are dieing with me.
>Prove me wrong.
^That one's somewhat easy to prove wrong.
You likely have siblings, or cousins, or other close family members who will reproduce even if you don't, and within a relatively small number of generations it becomes indistinguishable whether you personally reproduced or not in terms of how much the future gene pool resembles your own genes.
The only exception to this is if you're Genghis Khan and were so ridiculously successful that 1 in 200 men alive today are your direct descendants.
But even with that extreme case, in ten thousand years he probably won't be overrepresented like that anymore. The idea the gene pool of the future should be exactly like your own genes is a pretty irrational / nonsenical concept. You're already plenty represented in it or you wouldn't have been born, and it will continue to have plenty of resemblence to your genes for the foreseeable future. You don't exist in a vacuum.
>>
>>14868998
>I dont undestand how people are not freaked out
Because they're either stronger than you or ignorant.
>>
>>14868998
>Why do we get old? Why do we die?
Because Adam and Eve committed the first sin, and brought death into the world. The wages of sin is death.
>>
>>14868998
>I dont understand how people are not freaked out. Why they strive with their stupid careers and stupid achievement when it is all fucking pointless. Mankind will go extinct. The sun will die out. Heat will die out. The universe will die out.
>Everything you do is in vain.
Luckily there's good news. Christ died on the cross to redeem you, and you can enter into eternal life with faith in Him. Life has incredible meaning that you have time to understand. Start with the Gospel and work into the rest after.
>>
>>14870205
Shut up degenerate christian
>>
>>14868998
> I dont understand how people are not freaked out.
Why would they freak out? Life doesn't have to have a meaning to still enjoy it.
>>
>>14868998
shut up faggot
>>
>>14870100
nope as long you have sons and grandsons they will continue spreading your Y gene
>>
>>14868998
People have been trying to answer these questions for literally thousands of years and have failed. For the moment, it's all down to belief. Many here would go the atheist route of doom and gloom, but I don't believe that life is just a random fluke and we are here for a reason. What that reason is, is entirely up to the individual because there is no factual answer.
>>
>>14870656
> I don't believe that life is just a random fluke
pure wishful thinking with no evidential basis
>>
File: 3524453.jpg (21 KB, 600x315)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>14868998
>And I'm supposed to bring kids into this world?
No. You're supposed to be culled from the gene pool because you're dysgenic and your opinions are the opinions of dysgenics.

>Prove me wrong.
There is no need to prove anything. Nature itself has ruled to erase your opinions completely.
>>
>>14870685
> those that are happy and get on with enjoying life pass on their genes
> those that are angry and rage at life die single and alone
evolution is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>14869140
Cooming
>>
>>14870702
Exactly. The problem of people who don't want to be alive solves itself in a few generations, making antinatalism inherently moot.
>>
you're supposed to imagine a world that's worth living in and then embark on the path of creating it
>>
>>14868998
Yeah, it’s completely insane. I feel bad that you’re getting all these retard answers, but I guess it makes sense that the only people that think they have a response to unknowable, unanswerable things are by definition braindead.
I don’t know. Shit’s fucked.
>>
>>14871629
woah anon, so insightful!!! my whole worldview just IMPLODED!!!!!!!!!!! i can't believe i was such a retard for thinking i had the answer to these UNKNOWABLE, UNANSWERABLE things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i guess i'll keep trying to find another answer............................ oh wait,,,,,,,,, maybe THAT'S the answer??????????????????????????? THANKS ANON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>14868998
/sci/ Philosophy & shieeet
>>
>>14870639
That doesn't contradict what was written.
>>
>>14871825
Ok
>>
>>14868998
Who, precisely, is the semen demon? Scientifically speaking.
>>
>>14872325
The queen of England
>>
>>14868998
>WTF is this shit? Why are we here? Why do we get old? Why do we die? What is the point?
Life is what you make of it-- but beware, wireless mental influence via electromagnetism is a thing. It's not "mind-control", but it's pretty close.
>>
Vanity of vanities
>>
>>14870656
Really? Are you being serious?
>>
>>14870656
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." - Bible
>>
File: 1503334225443.jpg (55 KB, 479x592)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>14868998
>dieing
GOOD MORNING SIRS, LITERALLY KYS
>>
>>14868998
I believe life has one meaning, and that is to pass on your genetics, that much is programmed into every organism we know. On a deeper level, I don't think there's any other meaning to life other than that which we prescribe to it, which is ultimately your choice and pursuing which will fulfill your soul.
>>
>>14870685
>>14870732

evolution is running since what millions of years and there are still unhappy angry ones!? Something in your chain of thought is wrong.
>>
The notion that you could decide before life whether you would want to partake in this life, and thus become a being, is so fundamentally a logical and -- almost more starkly -- a linguistical paradox.

>I dont understand how people are not freaked out. Why they strive with their stupid careers and stupid achievement when it is all fucking pointless. Mankind will go extinct. The sun will die out. Heat will die out. The universe will die out.

You almost had a good thought going, but these lines are just mindlessly secreted NPC drivel.
So what if the Sun dies? What is the point of your sentiment? Does the fate of the universe or of your bloodline in 100 years change anything, besides invoke angsty frankly midwitted internal monologue (the monologue pointing to low abstraction capabilty)?
It is is a non-sequitur like saying "Jesus Christ, tropical cyclone number 1.2e13 is currently ravaging on Jupiter, what is even the point of it all?" "Motherfuck, right now the alien civilization of the Hubble volume next over is genociding the good people of Blargbla, why does life even matter?"
So. What. What is the point of such faux-deep, actually incredibly shallow thoughts?
>>
>>14869153
>Thankfully I spend quite some time getting some spiritual currency
The jew cannot help but to show his true nature in all things.
>>
>>14878463
If you dont understand what I'm saying dont comment on it, midwit.
>>
>>14878882
I am understanding what you are saying. In fact, I entertained (though did not commit to it -- I do not require such midwit shortcuts as committing to a thought) your exact trite thoughts many times throughout my life.
The problem is that you do not get what *I* am saying. You are trapped so deeply in the gravity well of the midwitted brain that you do not recognize when someone is extending a lifeline out of it -- but instead of an outsider's grace, you just perceive a peer, competing for space inside this fruitless trap.
>>
>>14878925
>>14878463

> >So what if the Sun dies? What is the point of your sentiment?

My point is the the futility of all action taking place in a container which will at some point be destroyed.

You absolute tool.

You are going to die, if your actions survive past you, mankind will die. If mankind manages to live forever, the sun will die. If mankind manged to leave the solar system, the universe will still die.

Do you see now that I've spelled everything out for you?
>>
>>14879154
>If mankind manged to leave the solar system, the universe will still die.
Assuming we get that far, we've got several trillion years to work out a solution to entropy, whether that means creating other universes, hiding in event horizons, time dilation, or what not.

Granted, by then, whatever we will become will likely not be recognizable as mankind, but it also means anything you do now, so much as moving a cup from one end of a table to the other, will ripple through time for eternity.

Failing that possibility, eternity is a fictional concept, and not something you should be using as a standard of meaning anyways. We're meaning making machines, so life is what you choose to make of it.
>>
>>14868998
This belongs on /his/
>>
File: 1611284508825.jpg (91 KB, 468x586)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>14868998
you're seeking a presence, and you need not seek further.
>>
File: 1639740843959.jpg (2.04 MB, 3620x2715)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>14876180
Your system of values produces mentally ill individuals that hate living, so nature erases your viewpoint and the kind of genetics that enable it. All is good.
>>
>>14870027
Good goy :)
>>
File: 57f.png (395 KB, 889x479)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>14868998
It's all about a balance between gratitude and entitlement.

You might never have existed at all. You would never have experienced anything at all. Even if you account for the fact that joy and euphoria could be cancelled out by unhappiness and depression, at the very least it's an interesting experience given a moderate balance of experiences.

The more you demand or expect from life, the less fulfilling it is. Ironically, the more you appreciate the mere fact that you exist, the more doors open for you and the more you can achieve through living that you expected to be given to you on a platter merely for existing.

The same thing about life that burdens one person, is the entire reason to enjoy it for another.
>>
>>14868998
>longetivity escape velocity
The whole point of life extension technologies in the first place was to go and get a fucking answer.
In case you haven't noticed, we all keep DYING before we get an answer.
>>
>>14869016
this. /thread
>>
>>14868998
I feel you OP. Haven't been able to enjoy anything in past years because of these exact constant thoughts. How can people just turn their brains off on this and just adapt to the show it's just mind blowing for me.
>>
>>14868998

>Because we will never know wtf we are doing. Where it all comes from. There is something rather than nothing and it's scary as fuck ok.

Existence is a material idea of itself. (Where did existence come from? It is uncaused and self-existent. How do you justify pure existence? Through the law of identity, it is what it is.)

Because limitless pure being, is also knowledge, there is self-knowledge or awareness. Because there is self-awareness, there is inherent bliss.

This is God.

God's nature is a divine thought(substantial idea) but he can know other ideas, form other thoughts. Through this He can create anything.

Why does God create? To Glorify Himself or (Make Himself as Great as Possible)

Why is there a universe?
It is a mystical universe. A mystical soul is a soul which knows the Divine Ground of its Being, and in doing so, becomes God Himself.

If the soul were to be responsible for its own personal Godhood, that would be a more Glorious Soul. A soul is responsible for its own Godhood if it reaches the mystical state without aid from God. That is the true purpose of the cosmos (or universe of particles, atoms, stars and galaxies). It is a self-reliant system. When the soul subsists in a self-reliant system, it is responsible for its awareness and consequentially its potential mystical state.

Jesus already achieved the permanent mystical state, and realized his own personal Godhood.
"The Kingdom of Heaven is within you."
"When you lift up the Son of Man, I will draw the world unto myself."
"So to as Moses lifted the Serpent on the Cross, I too must be lifted up."
>>
>>14868998
>Who in their right mind would bring kids into this shit show
Those brave enough to take upon the responsibility.
>>
>>14868998
>Because we will never know wtf we are doing
Why are you so sure? If we merge with AI and increase our intelligence and lifespans significantly enough, we just might find out.
>>
>>14868998
>it is all fucking pointless
it's not pointless. What's done will always be done. With our actions we can make beautiful things. Time does not erase the past. Even if no one in the future is around to remember something beautiful that happened, it still happened. It's in the past, but it's still there. If you look at the entire timeline of the universe from above, or if you look at the entire timeline as a melody, you can appreciate beautiful parts that exist in a single point of the timeline.
>>
>>14883420

Doing what you're programmed to do isn't bravery.
>>
>>14868998
Being alive is usually pretty enjoyable. Why would I deny that gift to subsequent generations that get the opportunity to learn and grow in ways that I can't even imagine? You're demoralized by anti-human sentiment. Life isn't suffering.
>>
I can probably help.

I was a hardcore antinatalist. No I did not find god or any such bullshit. To pretend this world is anything but brutal and depends on that brutality to exist is willful ignorance, and you can't truly "will" yourself away from what you know. So ignoring this is probably out of the question 4U.

What is left? To be a cog. To be a quietist. To reserve all subjective judgment towards the nature of this game we're caught in. Preserve your body for no other reason than instinctual want for preservation. Blend with others for no other reason than instinctual fear of being a pariah. Breed for no other reason than natural need for the gene to proliferate. Sort of a "shut up and calculate" for life. Stop questioning and understand that you're in this thing, in turn maximize the goals that were hard-wired into you instead of defying them. The open defiance leads to misery.

Existential questions will remain forever unanswered no matter how much brain power you devote. Therefore to fear them or to spend time attempting an answer is entirely fruitless. We make fun of people who devote their lives to celebrities and football, but they're actually our existential superiors in that they derive joy from their interest and receive satisfaction from goal completion. It doesn't win you anything to know those goals are completely arbitrary, it just makes you fucking miserable.

It is a shame that religious tards misinterpreted the parable of Eden and the Fruit of Knowledge. The entire point of that story, which was obviously penned by a genius bronze age philosopher, is that it is this "fruit" that separates us from nature and casts us out of "paradise." He was just saying "turn your brain off asshole, we developed too much consciousness, now we can't vibe anymore because we're too busy trying to know shit, paradise is to not be stuck in these endless pursuits!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quietism_(philosophy)
>>
Bumping because op the ultra maximum homo is a perfect representation of all sci posters
>>
>>14868998
>Who in their right mind would bring kids into this shit show.

What follows is a proof by contradiction.
Suppose that having children is unethical.
Then, all else being equal, people who choose for moral reasons to abstain from reproduction are, on average, more ethical than those that reproduce.
It is probably true that ethics are to some degree heritable, either genetically or passed down culturally from your parents.
Therefore, those who choose not to reproduce are actually making the world worse by allowing the future to be composed disproportionately of less ethical people.
If those who abstain from reproduction are making the world worse with their choice, then actually their choice is unethical.
This contradicts our original supposition.

Therefore, having children is not unethical.
>>
>>14881489
Either you are literally a soul, or literally God. Pick one.
>>
>>14868998
>My genes are dieing with me. Life was a mistake. Prove me wrong
YOUR life was a mistake lol, keep up that seethe
>>
>>14868998
>Why they strive with their stupid careers and stupid achievement when it is all fucking pointless
You strive because it's pointless and you need something to do until you die
Will to power, you little faggot bitch
>>
>>14868998
Science can't answer religious questions, so scientifically speaking the purpose of your existence is to procreate or die.
I'm personally content with life, so clearly this is a you problem. I will have children because I want to endow them with my knowledge so that they can advance our bloodline.
>>
>>14884107
Vocation is good, the problem is working for others in a personally meaningless way and existing in a structure where you have effectively become closer to a slave than a freeman.
>>
>>14884147
>the problem is working for others in a personally meaningless way and existing in a structure where you have effectively become closer to a slave than a freeman
Then don't do that
Believe it or not, there are some wagies out there that find working for Mr. Shekelstein personally meaningful, maybe it allows them to support a family, or they're old and it keeps them active
If you can't find meaning in what you're doing now, or find a way to stop what you're doing now and do something you find meaningful, and unless you're literally shackled in a dungeon somewhere, it's your own fault and yours alone.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.