[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.
  • There are 97 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File deleted.
Welcome to STEM Career General!
previously

Doomer edition

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
> Discussion on academia based career progression
> Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
> Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here: >https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of all the previous editions of /scg/:
>>>https://warosu.org/sci/
>>
File: 80,000_Hours_logo.png (50 KB, 398x250)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
80,000 Hours has decent career advice from an Effective Altruist perspective.

https://80000hours.org/
https://www.youtube.com/user/eightythousandhours/videos
>>
>>
>>14868181
I want money to research my own interests desu I've already realized I am not interested in the shitstorm they call academia and all of its gay politics. Although I am pretty sure I'll end up jobless after graduation. I only have 1 internship under my belt and its a Bio BS. I've researched and found that the sciences of stem are one of the weakest degrees for job prospects outside of academia unless PhD level. Even comp sci is getting oversaturated, which is making me start to think that STEM itself is maybe oversaturated(You now need masters and Phds to entry level jobs). I also think the trade schools/trades are getting saturated cause Jordan peters and a bunch of other entrepreneurs/gurus have advised so and if they say it everyone listens and does it. So all in all I think if you know about said thing it is safe to say your too late to it especially if everyone talks about it. The people who made the most money during the gold rush were not the ones looking for gold but the ones selling the shovel I feel like I've been sold multiple shovels and am still a sucker looking for fools gold at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>>14868199
Get some other credential that makes lots of money and then just do what you want in your free time. The Traditional Chinese Medicine guy in my neighbourhood has a PhD from Cambridge (Computer Science). He's only open 3 days a week. Lots of free time. When he does work he just sells herbs and gives bogus advice.
>>
>>14868181
I want to tell you that all of you have fallen for the fallacy of composition: the error of assuming that what is true of a member of a group is true for the group as a whole. A trivial example might be: "This tire is made of rubber, therefore the vehicle of which it is a part is also made of rubber." Looking at a baseball field when you are the only one standing up you get a birds eye view but when everyone stands up your view is no better than anyone else's . The same is true of academia the successful high earning stem majors you hear about are only a part of the whole majority/group of stem majors who make nothing or work no specialized jobs exclusive to their major. Since everyone does stem their degrees value/worth is dropping as a whole its like the stadium when only a few of you were getting them it was valuable but now everyone gets them everyone stands up at once. So in order to offset they've added extraneous masters and PhD accreditations to keep the loop going although even their job prospects look bleak from time to time especially fo becoming a professor at a uni.
>>
>>14868206
what type of credential lol?
>>
>>14868215
Continuing on there are a lot of horror stories of even jobless phds now so its safe to say the fallacy of composition is coming to fruition. You need to do something else or suffer the same fate as everyone else. Something niche with high pay and very unknown to most people(Ha good luck finding that)
>>
>>14868225
>Continuing on there are a lot of horror stories of even jobless phds
Got any stories? Also why is academia such a shit hole? Is the egos you have to contend with and the fact that you're practically a slave in the lab? I don't know much academia.
>>
>>14868191
this one seems a bit schizo who is going to develop the AI able to replace mathematicians in the first place? Dance majors lol, there will always be a need for mathematicians it will probably just not be in the same format/setting.
>>
>>14868230
thing is they have the credentials for an industry job, but none of the experience which already handicaps most bachelors people leaving them to look for jobs within academia and even then you will most likely find it extremely hard to become a professor because most live for centuries now never leaving the position. Lastly 56% of the college debt is held by masters and PhD students so if they don't end up with a salary will never offset their 6 figure loans
>>
>>14868230
sad indeed college is the best business model I've ever seen extort them with usurious loans, teach them nothing, and give them a piece of paper finally have them wage cuck the rest of their lives like a slave to payback 7 figure loans
>>
>>14868253
end with being buried in a ditch with having nothing and still not having paid off your loans
>>
>>14868245
>>14868253
What is the motivation for going to grad school straight out of undergrad as a stem major? It seems like it makes more sense to get a few years of experience and have a company pay for that shit. I don't know how often that happens, but it can supposedly.
>>
I am in desperate need of a job as I am graduating this year. Wish me luck boys
>>
File: 1663585025374481.png (737 KB, 992x1403)
737 KB
737 KB PNG
Am I retarded when DSP/RF/modulation related courses feel way harder to understand than programming/designing ones? Is it really worth it to push for?

I'm just wondering since it's more work and I don't want to do more work for possibly smaller rewards. Maybe I'm just not attuned to it.
>>
>>14868777
It is harder, that is why the industry has few to chose form and thus, in turn, salaries are very good.
>>
>>14868191
I love how every activity is a surrogate activity to Ted. Like he expects human beings to hunt for 16 hours a day, then sleep, then repeat. Anything else is le surrogate activity.
>>
>>14868181
There has never been a woman as hot as that in any EE department ever
>>
File: file.png (3.28 MB, 2000x2000)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB PNG
I hate being a QC lab tech. If anyone comes up to you and tells you that they want to be a chemist. Tell them that unless they have a masters degree you'll be stuck with people who have an associate's degree making more than you and possibly be your boss, along with dealing with staffing agencies, working Dupont schedule and insultingly low pay.
I'm trying to get out. I was a senior in chemical engineering before flunking out and having to change my major to chemistry. Looking around, I see that material science is a job """option""" for chemists. I sent my resume for a few companies and unsurprisingly got rejected or haven't heard back from them. How do I get out of being a lab tech?
Just keep trying?
>>
is pharmacy a good degree to get? i see online its paid quite well but when i ask people they tell me its dogshit for pay
>>
>>14868953
Like working at CVS or Walgreens?
That's where you're going to be.
>>
>>14868955
how would i get into pharmaceutical research then instead of working behind a till?
>>
>>14868909
Are the salaries really better though? How do you know this or find reliable information in general?
>>
>>14868958
That is a good question.
I suggest looking at job boards and doing your research on what education requirements companies generally want. My guess is probably a master's degree for research. You can probably find research jobs (that doesn't require you to have a masters degree) hosted by your local university that pays you a pretty reasonable stipend.
>>
File: b12b0003.jpg (331 KB, 1000x750)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
Can I use an autism spectrum disorder to force my employer to let me work from home?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome as a child. It hasn't effected me that much. Professionally I'm a lot more successful than the average millennial, and I don't struggle with socializing and relationships. The only debilitating thing is my brain doesn't filter anything out as background noise and gets overwhelmed in noisy environments. I don't go to movie theaters or crowded restaurants.

My company decided everybody has to work in an open office. I spend hours seething with anger while I wait for a moment of silence so I can get some work done. I finally get a chance and then "HA HA STAR WARS" or some shit rattles my brain. I'm starting to snap at people or having to leave my desk and find a quite spot until my heart rate goes down.

I didn't tell anybody I was on the autism spectrum when I took the job. I keep that private from everyone. Can I just be like "surprise I'm secretly disabled, you have to accommodate me now". I'm Canadian BTW.
>>
what's the best education someone who's mostly been into theoretical CS and communication theory (done a lot of coding/information theory and signal processing)?

I'm thinking of going for either EE but more applied like circuit design, PCBs, antennas.. or physics because I'm enjoying it so far. Ultimately I'd like to learn more about light and its applications because I really love all the promising tech behind photonics and the already existing optical fiber, but I don't know if EE or physics would be more suited.
>>
>>14868994
Probably but what you consider reasonable accommodations for your documented medical issue might not be the same thing your employer considers to be reasonable. They might just buy you a set of active noise cancelling headphones. Or maybe they give you a closet sized private office with no window and still require you to travel to the office and work in it.
>>
File: 16637803431437093.jpg (92 KB, 720x697)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
What's the most profitable field to pivot into after a master's in math? Say I just want to make as much money as possible? Also what skills should I learn?
>>
>>14868947
Dont know I have a masters. Handed in my thesis, started working the next day.
>>
>>14869176
>EE but more applied like circuit design, PCBs, antennas...
EE is pretty much all applied stuff, unless you have a 13 inch cock and decide to go into solid-state physics. do you mind naming some other fields that you think an EE might be employed in?
>>
are there any anons that couldnt find a job? where did they go? is there some camp in the desert . . .
>>
>>14868973
It is a bit about it in the FAQ. The input is from all the anons in here so reliability is always uncertain.
>>
File: 16a27d33184af90a.jpg (137 KB, 900x1100)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
As a ECE graduate student how do I explain to my mother that I'm practically a neet and unable to land a job?
>>
>>14869636
but you're not a neet and you can get a job
>>
>>14868181
defended my phd thesis in chemistry today.. was also offered a postdoc position after i've sold my company.. shit is starting to look good after years of struggle
>>
>>14869807
After Corona I feel like one and idunno
>>
How the fuck am I supposed to afford my bachelor's degree?
What kind of work can I get as a CS Major?
>>
>>14869897
if you can't get a scholarship you shouldn't be in higher ed. go into the trades
>>
>>14869908
bad advice
paid 40k for a cs degree and making 170k 1st year
>>
>>14870432
why didn't you get it payed for?
>>
>>14870456
middling sat and lower 3.0 gpa
>>
>>14870456
...because it's a bachelor's
>>
>>14868239
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ICQIx_C8mHo
>>
As an EE grad I can't believe how much I fucked up my life by not doing CS. I can't believe I didn't realize it until I graduated.
>>
>>14870530
electronics and communication undergrad here. what am i in for?
>>
>>14869270

Being a Quant of some sort I suppose. Learn modelling of financial derivatives, get into goldman or somewhere like that, have no life whatsoever for a few years then use some of your new connections to start your own fund.
>>
>>14870539
Making $60K less per year than your CS peers and working twice as hard.
Having to live in an expensive studio apartment in some huge metro instead of being comfy and working from your own home.
>>
>>14870549
should i switch to cs while i can? this scared the shit out of me
>>
>>14870556
Wait and see if some CS anons chime in and tell you their side.
But from where I'm standing I feel like I got screwed.
>>
>>14870560
i mean i can still code, i do LC in my free time whenever i can. will employers have a problem with my ECE degree?
>>
>>14870585
new grad offers
>170k amazon -- hybrid seattle
>197k coinbase -- remote
>120k (negotiated 150k verbal) morgan stanley -- remote

I chose coinbase but lost the offer due to them having financial troubles. Since the offer was signed by both parties they gave me 23k severance. Been working at Amazon now for 4ish months.

Amazon is in a strong position but right now tech is having hiring freezes and layoffs.
>>
>>14870712
I really want to get a remote job with amazon working on project kuiper
>>
>>14870718
Is that a remote position? I was interviewing for SpaceX (Starlink tho) and all the work is onsite because you're doing a lot of embedded shit.
>>
>>14870729
Some of the posting i've seen have been remote. Yeah I love being an embedded guy but that is an issue
>>
I want to kill myself.
I have to move to a sky high cost of living area just to make a cuck salary of 65K a year while remote CS chads are getting like 200K and able to work in the middle of nowhere and they can afford land and actually be home owners
engineering fucking sucks
>>
>>14870712
how can I do the same? I'm getting offers as a new grad but with quarter of the pay in europoor
>>
>>14870712
doing what exactly?
>>
As someone following an AI-oriented math master, what should I do in order to develop AI-prompt based projects and work into companies like OpenAI? I would love to be able to create deepfakes for fictional purposes, and I feel that making AI-prompt based videos is an objective.
>>
>>14868181
>Data Science
>This field is red hot, but also a meat grinder with long hours.
This line from the wiki is totally wrong. Data science is known for relatively easy working hours and relaxed deadlines except in consulting.

>Anyway you gotta be quick about it though. I think in a year or two the field will be over saturated. You should be looking at fields that haven't been memed in years to jump into. Personally, I know my niche and I know it's about to become very HOT because all the people in it are 50+ years old.
The field is saturated but it's not difficult to land a good job if you go to a target school (hard) or get your masters from a target school (easier).
Just spit balling here but good places to work from best to worst, not necessarily difficulty of entry:
good big tech, google, apple, fb, etc
unicorn tech, uber, netflix, tesla, etc
prop shops and hedge funds, quant work, 2sig, JS, HRT
IB side finance, bulge brackets, quant work, jpmc, bof, cs
high tier consulting, MBB
lower big tech and lower tech general, amazon, microsoft, ibm, amex, oracle, intuit, etc
high finance, bulge brackets, jpmc, bof, cs
lower consulting, tier 2 and big4
F50 will all be prestigious and good
>>
>>14870432
So you're saying I'll be able to pay off my debt to the feds and my family easily?
>>
>>14871235
You're going to need a PhD, look at the job requirements on the careers page, then search for examples on Linkedin
>>
>>14871686
I'll add to this that once you get in to the above list it's a lot easier to jump up the ladder if you so desire, but many people don't because they're very content with their job at any of the above.
>>
>>14870891
software engineering
>>14870858
move to usa
>>
>>14869283
A lot of people here are European. From my understanding, hiring practices are vastly different there than the US. I've heard stories of Europeans exiting college with a CS degree and landing a job quickly. I don't know if you're American. But what you said doesn't sound like the norm
>>
>>14871686
>This line from the wiki is totally wrong.
You mean the FAQ on Neocities perhaps?
>Data science is known for relatively easy working hours and relaxed deadlines except in consulting.
I am only familiar with data science in consulting settings. There was a requirement for about 7 hours of billable hours every working day. With internal meetings, courses, sales work and more, this meant very long hours.

The list you made, is that for data science work only? Not sure how e.g. quant work can be the same as data science.

I'll add more info that you have.

t.FAQ editor
>>
I am going to graduate this year with a bachelors in molecular biology + applied math. I am planning to get a job afterwards - is it even possible to get a research position in biology out of undergrad or will I have to resort to code monkeying?
>>
>>14873156
Code monkeys in big tech make 2-3x more starting than PhDs in research positions (besides the few research positions that exist in big tech).
>>
>>14873187
what's it like being in a research position at big tech compared to like a national lab position
>>
>feel like a retard after working 4+ years in an engineering position that doesn’t use my engineering training
Most of the stuff I learned is still buried in my mind. How do I go about untucking myself? Is it going to come down to pirating textbooks? I just feel like I need more confidence before I attempt to jump ship to another organization.
>>
I'm about to graduate Mechanical Engineer. This major feels like it's mediocre at everything
>oh you like material science? the ChemE guy knows more than you
>oh you like controls? the EE guy knows more than you
>oh you like fluids? the Physics and Math guys are better than you
like wtf am I even supposed to be good at? internal stresses? CAD modeling? they're all so lame

Can I at least get an easy job with a lot of free time to spend on hobbies?
>>
>>14870712
Nice work man, where'd you go to school?
>>
>>14873243
See for yourself
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Amazon-Research-Scientist-Salaries-E6036_D_KO7,25.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Research-Scientist-Salaries-E9079_D_KO7,25.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Apple-Research-Scientist-Salaries-E1138_D_KO6,24.htm
>>
>>14872561
>You mean the FAQ on Neocities perhaps?
Yes.

>I am only familiar with data science in consulting settings. There was a requirement for about 7 hours of billable hours every working day. With internal meetings, courses, sales work and more, this meant very long hours.
That's the nature of consulting. In general data science work isn't highly demanding in terms of workload.

>The list you made, is that for data science work only? Not sure how e.g. quant work can be the same as data science.
Yes the list was for data science only, although it's probably applicable to software engineering as well idk though. Quant work is data science (statistics and coding), but it's an older field and more niche. You have to know about trading and finance. It's also notoriously difficult to get into. They only pull from target schools, exceptions are very rare whereas in big tech you see more varied backgrounds.

Also I'm sure other people might have different opinions about which companies are good and which are better than others so I wouldn't take it as fact.
>>
>>14874063
>Can I at least get an easy job with a lot of free time to spend on hobbies?
Look into government jobs. I got one in supply chain management as an EE, and even though I consider it a waste of my training, it is undeniably a solid job, especially considering the pay to actual work done ratio. You’ll have plenty of time for family / hobbies. Look into jobs with large depot bases (Robins, Hill, Tinker, etc). They employ a lot of people, so the competition is lower. USAJobs and LinkedIn both post listing. Career fairs at your college may be visited by representatives, as well.
>>
>>14873156
>molecular biology
>bachelors
lmao
>>
>>14872234
Yea I'm from the eu. The company I'm working at was the one I had a part time job for two years before I finished my degree. I had another offer from the institute I worte my thesis at. I ultimately declined because they didn't pay as well and I get along with the coworkers at the other place way better.
I habe no experience how the US hiring is going but it's pretty chill here and most places are searching for good employees like a needle in a hay stack.
>>
File: 1663404360882179.png (11 KB, 321x339)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
is there anyone here who did a phd in a field they were passionate about then switched to a non related industry job for life security, wages, etc?

do you feel any regret for your decision to do the PhD or do you look back at it as a fond memory and time well spent?
>>
>>14874072
Eastern Washington University
Basically one of your public diploma mills
>>
Any experiences with https://www.cvn.columbia.edu/program/columbia-university-applied-mathematics-masters-degree-masters-science

Looks like some fun courses + big ivy name to game recruiters.
>>
File: file.png (114 KB, 294x171)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
Does anyone have a career in FPGAs and can give me some general insight into the industry for United States?
>>
>>14874087
thanks but all that really tells me is they get paid a lot which i already knew
>>
>>14874718
I do FPGA research but I never worked for xilinx, intel, etc
>>
Are there any CS courses based in theory that offer good financial aid? It doesn't have to be a *good* school per se, but just has a lot of theory compared to just writing code.
In USA
>>
>>14874526
I thought that it was possible to get jobs at research institutes
>>
>>14874860
How's FPGA for researching? At one point I was offered the option of doing FPGA research but I was too much of an idiot and didn't take it.

Any fun projects you think I should do by chance?
>>
>>14874979
>How's FPGA for researching?
It's a great field.

>>14874979
>Any fun projects you think I should do by chance?
What? Get a job nigger
>>
I’m on my 3rd and final year of my mechatronics studies and I have absolutely no idea what I should take my master in. I’ve spent a shitload of time looking around for something but I still don’t know what to do.

I have never felt like an engineer and I feel like I miss certain elements/characteristics that I see other people have in this field. I’m not very technical and lack the interest for the most part. My grades are decent so far. 3.4/5 gpa, where a 3.0/5 is equal to an american B ( I’m scandinavian).

I’m currently looking at financial mathematics programs. Do I need to be super smart to excel in financial maths? I’ve been interested in the field since I started my bachelors but I don’t know if thats because of «muh quant». I don’t really know too much about the field other than I think I’d get a comfy finance job.
Another option is to take a masters in data science where machine learning seems to be a central part of the program.

Any other former engineering students been in the same situation? Do tell me what you ended up working with.
>>
Know this isn't g but figure I'd post here anyways.

When an interviewer asks (for cs) tell me about a technical challenge you faced in a project, or instead ask: tell us about the time you worked in a team, what challenges did you face and how did you overcome them, how do you answer the questions.

I just searched up any problems I had, and did all my projects solo.
>>
>>14875794
Make something up ahead of time obviously
Say there was some gay CS shit that was obscure and you had to look at research papers to find a good approach
>>
Anyone know how best approach a professor about a postdoc in the future? It's at least a few years off, but I figure it's best to bring it up early to gauge interest, right?
>>
File: px3_large.jpg (2.38 MB, 3600x2400)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>14874979
>Any fun projects you think I should do by chance?
You could do a /ham/ radio transceiver, and put your Verilog/VHDL along with the design on Github.
Recently there are some fancy DSP tricks using Si5153 to receive and transmit SSB. You could add dual antenna input, beam forming/DF and waterfall to this.
>>
>>14868181
I'm confused bros, I don't know where to go.
I've double majored in Math and CS but I feel like I should have gone for EE or physics instead.

Especially EE, I loved taking all the signal processing and systems classes and aced all of them, also did really well in electromagnetism. I wish I could have learned electronics or antennas, it feels retarded to know about algorithms, computer architecture and communication processing and protocols, but not know about the underlying physical hardware and communication channels.
Also loved physics, loved my quantum computing class and want to dive deeper into quantum physics, field theory and all that jazz.

But I also love what I do, CS and Math have so much to offer and I don't want to ditch it either.

How the fuck do you deal with indecisiveness when it comes to studying? I can't tell what I want to pursue because I'm just interested in everything. And I somehow feel bad when I don't have the time and energy to learn something. I don't know what I should major in for my masters.
How the fuck do you make a choice and stick with it?
>>
>>14870539
You can switch to software whenever you want, you just need to have a portfolio of project and regularly do leetcode shit (at least do daily challenges).
A CS grad can't do hardware for shit, personally I had to learn electronics on my own because I didn't take it during college and neither did 80% of my classmates, whereas an EE can always code. Also you know about the underlying hardware which is a +.
If you have too much of a hard time getting a software job, by writing code for embedded systems and slowly work your way up to fully software positions:
But as a CS myself I can tell you that while you get paid very well, it's not very fullfilling.
As the creators of UNIX say, programmers aren't productive anymore. There are so many of us that obviously some of us work bullshit jobs. We don't need to be hundreds of thousands to maintain a server, and yet...
A lot of the shit you will work on in big tech is also pretty fucking sad. I'm an ML/AI guy and I fucking hate how they throw ML at everythign they can even if it makes no fucking sense at all. The applications of ML I have to work on are so fucking useless, or sometimes straight up evil (recommender systems can be very questionable). Also you can tell that CS is a field filled with people who really don't belong there and only chase the money, they have no passion for what they do, they leetcode well but their actual code fucking sucks, they don't really have algorithmic, combinatorial and overall logical reasoning, they work on ML but don't know their stats and probabilities (and the majority don't even know the basics of DSP.... the state of ML today is deplorable),

The pay makes up for an extremely dull work life. But it's not going to last forever, the bubble is about to burst. So many people get paid super high to produce basically nothing of value. It's a bit depressing sometimes but the money makes up for it so I can't complain.
>>
>>14877306
>make a choice
The world economy took a suddent left turn that will be a downturn. We already have inflation. We will probably get a recession. We might get stagflation. The job market will shrink, even Google has had a job freeze. We have no idea how bad this will end up, after all Japan had 3 lost decades so far.

You have to make the decision for yourself, but my recommendation is:
- study fields that will get you a job. EE should be safe
- if you can, also study related fields that later will give you some room for manoevring later on, if you want to transition to a different field
- when you graduate, do not stop self studies, when we get through the tunnell, the job market will once again open for more esoteric work such as high risk quantum research

As for indecisiveness, just rememebr that a bad choice will leave you stranded with no jobs.
As for being interested in everything, that is like me, with the exception that I did Physics, not EE. I made it, you will too.
>>
>>14869816
Congratulations Anon. PhD. Hope all goes well, WAGM.
>>
>>14877306
> I wish I could have learned electronics or antennas
I have an RF engineering degree and my job is antenna engineer.
Only one other coworker (out of the dozens in my department) has an RF degree.
Everyone else is CS/CpE/General EE and they self taught and did on-the-job training.
RF degrees are so rare that anyone with any engineering/physics/math degree qualifies and then just gets trained by a senior.
>>
>>14874623

Most PhDs do this. I don't look back on my PhD fondly, but I definitely benefitted a lot from it in terms of my confidence in being able to handle shit I've never seen before. Also I was doing a lot of stats and computational work which is obviously useful literally everywhere.
>>
>>14874623
>is there anyone here who did a phd in a field they were passionate about then switched to a non related industry job for life security, wages, etc?
I was passionate biyt my field,. but when it imploded I had no choice so I was forced to go to non related industry job for just getting paid.
>do you feel any regret for your decision to do the PhD
No regrets. It was demanding but the time was also great. Thankfully the skills were transferrable.
>or do you look back at it as a fond memory and time well spent?
Sure, it looks better in hindsight now that much of the pain is forgotten.

>>14879637
>benefitted a lot from it in terms of my confidence in being able to handle shit I've never seen before
This is my experience too. My colleagues that didn't do a PhD are less confident in new settings; until now, I didn't realise there was a connection.
>>
The FAQ seems to assume you go for a PhD. Anyone know what the job market looks like for a physics master vs. a physics PhD? I have the feeling that going for a PhD would limit my career choices. I'd probably have a job lined up somewhere tho, our work group has good connections to lots of instrument manufacturers.
>>
>>14880087
>The FAQ seems to assume you go for a PhD.
For Physics it is adviced, for medicl devices it is required, for the rest it is varies.
>Anyone know what the job market looks like for a physics master vs. a physics PhD?
Not sure, just that batchelor Physics is not too hot.
>I have the feeling that going for a PhD would limit my career choices.
I have heard that too but never experienced that myself. Anyway, would you really want to work for a company where managers had that attitude?
>I'd probably have a job lined up somewhere tho, our work group has good connections to lots of instrument manufacturers.
We are in a period with inflation, probably also recession, and people fear stagflation. Past experiences are that in times of economic downturn, people return to academia to pursue higher degrees, since the job market is heading for a crash. This is a decision only you can make, but I'd make REALLY sure those good connections would also be true to their words. The FAQ has a lot of warnings about scams and withdrawn offers.

t.FAQ editor (still around)
>>
File: 1508232367561.gif (1.99 MB, 540x540)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>14868181
The FAQ is updated to 1.26:
https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/

>>14871686 >>14874132
Thanks for your contributions, I had added this to the FAQ. The text was editied to fit the format, please have a look to see if I have understood you correctly.
>>
>>14881014
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
thanks for the link, I absolutely love the page of Dr. E. Comer, I love his insights on the field of CS.
>>
>>14881103
You might be interested to review the highly scientific but beastly publications here:
https://www.parolacce.org/2014/10/05/the-true-story-of-stronzo-bestiale/

And let us not forget Prof. Alois Kabelschacht, rising to new levels:
https://brainosoph.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/the-ghost-of-stronzo-bestiale-and-other-fake-scientific-authors/
>>
>>14868181
is predoc at harvard or MIT as ridiculously hard to get into as normal PhD?
>>
In regards to AI, do people in academia actually care at all about stuff other than publications?
i wanted to do PhD,bhopefully at one of the better universities, but i think i got my priorities wrong and might have fucked myself in this regard
ending masters in a year, my only paper contribution is a dataset, MAYBE my masters thesis or other side project will be turned into a paper later but i doubt it will be catching any citations
i did a lot of other activities in regards to the field, but more on the community side of things and i feel like it doesn't really matter now
>>
>>14881277
>In regards to AI, do people in academia actually care at all about stuff other than publications?
Yes. Patents bring in huge amounts of money.
>>
File: 1664325517662724.jpg (527 KB, 647x1531)
527 KB
527 KB JPG
What are her chances in academia?
>>
>>14881549
>"NOOO I cant go to class because i got raped!!!"
okay? lmao it's not that deep
>>
>>14881549
she'll probably end up the dean of the college
>>
How do I get letters of recommendation if I never once spoke to professors?
What exactly am I suppose to do to get these letters? I just showed up and took the classes, I never needed any help and finished with a 3.8 gpa.
>>
I don't want to be a code monkey nut it looks like that's where I'm gonna be
>>
>>14881737
blowjobs will get you a long way
>>
>>14881741
Can letters come from non-academic sources, like a previous CO in the military?
>>
>>14881756
yes
>>
>>14881756
yeah but if you're applying to grad school its probably good to get one from a professor or at least a phd researcher of some kind
>>
how do i tell young adolescents that just because a machine is old it isn't totally useless
>>
>>14881778
You don't have to, retro electronics and machines are all the rage these days.
>>
>>14881779
yea but what if the machine in question isn't that interesting
i'm talking about old, fixed steam and diesel engines and the like
they're good for learning because their principles apply to modern machines but that's all i could come up with
>>
>>14881784
you can't make someone interested in something like that. they either are or they aren't.
>>
>>14881787
i have to its my job
>>
>>14881784
If your concern is learning utility, try a simple machine with modern applications, such as sterling engines and their use in AIP submarines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-independent_propulsion#Stirling_cycle_engines
>>
>>14881789
your job is to expose them to it. they'll either think it's cool or they won't. if they don't, that's fine
>>
>>14881784
You could even use Lego for demonstrating the basic components of a machine (gears, inclines, etc.)

>>14881793
Also good, simple, safe and still ingenious.
>>
I’m a fresh civil engineering graduate with a 3.62/4.00 GPA. I wasn’t able to secure an internship during my time at uni because covid shut everything down. As a result, I am fruitlessly applying to entry level jobs because I don’t have the necessary “experience”, even though the job title literally says “Graduate X”, or “Entry X” with 0-1 years of experience.
I even thought of applying to internships but they said that they’re looking for students.

What the heck should I do? I’m bored out of my mind at home.
>>
>>14882366
post your resume
>>
>>14876600
Bump
>>
>>14882366
Are you applying across the whole country or just your area?
>>
>>14882808
The whole country, and other countries.

>>14882688
In a bit mate I can’t right now.
>>
is it (and if so, how) bad to change fields in AI?
i did some RL and CV projects, worked in TTS and NLP for a year, but a lot of it felt kinda unsatisfying
i was thinking about trying to get into some AI4Good type of stuff, after I've seen Deepmind works on wildlife conservation, although i'm not sure if it's kind of a meme yet at this point
looked a bit into it and e.g. microsoft ai and google research dabble in it too, MIT launched some new faculty and are looking for phds/pre- and post-docs (though no way in hell i'm getting there) etc., so it seems to be growing, but i feel like i might be fucking myself up a bit by just jumping between fields like that
>>
File: LoanForgiveness.jpg (168 KB, 1733x444)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>14868253
>>
>>14868181
>retaking calculus 1 because I missed the final first time around
>still remember everything from the first class
>Get first test for this new class
>open book, open note
>”should be easy”
>46/100
>class average was 32
What the fuck do I do here? Does this autistic fucking professor gain life force from failing students or something? Do I just drop and hope for a better professor next semester?
>>
>>14882840
> and other countries
Are you in the US?
>>
i was skimming through job offers and i came across offer that looked pretty interesting, but
>unpaid two-year long fellowship
do americans really?
>>
fuck people hyping up AI in climate change or animal protection, how do I get into military research
>>
>>14883690
No we don't not in engineering or cs at least maybe something dumb like liberal arts.
>>14883260
Are you sure it's not just you? Can you give an example. I would take it up the chain of command to advisor or dept head or whoever.
>>
Guys, EE is making my brain hurt. Im junior year and have been passing classes but damn its getting complicated. I feel liek a fraud because I really dont have a good understanding of shit. Like in my electonics class, I understand what the stuff does and how it works but once it goes into the details with all the graphs and equations I get lost. Ill probably pass the class fine but still I feel stupid and like I shouldnt be doing this. I dont even really like math or science lol.
>>
>>14883279
I’m not.
>>
>>14884391
Nigga then why’d you major in civil engineering?
Europe isn’t even constructing any new buildings or bridges, everything’s already been made
>>
>all answers
>no questions
this is unfortunately why most generals are doomed on /sci/, most questions are too specific
>>
>>14883724
>how do I get into military research
Physics and aeronautics are popular degrees, then apply to a national lab doing defence work. I did. It is not as fancy as it sounds like.

Search for "?", get 93 hits. I wanted to comment on your reading comprehensin but now I also see you son't even bother to work that shift key.
>>
>>14886285
That last sentence was for @14886136
>>
>>14868188
is this actually good?
i'm really not sure where to go with my career, but it's a shitload of text to go through and i can't really find people recommending it outside of their own websites
>>
>>14868181
>Be me
>CSlet in EU
>Do a physics minor, am allowed to take around a semester's worth of experimental physics courses
>Finished electrodynamics
>Will do optics, mechanics, thermodynamics

What is most practical after this anons? I have the choice between:
>>Atoms and quants
>Things like: Photon, photoeffect, particles as waves, Quantummechanics, Tunnel effect, Zeeman effect, Pauli principle, Spin, Schrödinger equation, etc.

>>Cores + elementary particles
>Atomic cores, nuclear reactions, fusion, synthesis, nuclear forces, radioactivity, Leptones, Hadrones, stuff about quarks, particle physics stuff, weak and strong nuclear forces, etc.

I want to get into this https://www.sle.kit.edu/vorstudium/master-optics-photonics.php, what do you anons think would be the better choice? Atoms and quants seems like a lot of introductory quantum mechanics stuff and I hear A LOT of anons say it's useless, should I avoid it? What should I pick anons (nuclear interests me more from reading this)?
>>
>>14886438
But according to Wikipedia:
>Quantum physics is a branch of modern physics in which energy and matter are described at their most fundamental level, that of energy quanta, elementary particles, and quantum fields. Quantum physics encompasses any discipline concerned with systems that exhibit notable quantum-mechanical effects, where waves have properties of particles, and particles behave like waves. Applications of quantum mechanics include explaining phenomena found in nature as well as developing technologies that rely upon quantum effects, like integrated circuits and lasers.
Is this bullshit? I take what I read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.
>>
>>14886438
>>14886457
yo shut the fuck up
>>
>>14886438
The cores + elementary particles topics you've described are all particle physics and would be unlikely to be particularly relevant in optics and photonics. It's simply not something that pops up in that field.

On the other hand, quantum mechanics is at the absolute heart of photonics and will certainly be required knowledge if you want to do that.
>>
File: take me home.jpg (94 KB, 817x634)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
graduated like 10 months ago EE (controls), im on like wave 4 of interviews now... interviews are getting harder to come by as jobs get more skeptical why i have such a gap being rejected by so many companies...
>WAGMI
>>
how do I make money?
t. drop out
I'm learning coding and math on my own, but I'd like to know about the data behind how to make money with /sci/
>>
File: IMG_1753.jpg (46 KB, 800x444)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>14882366
where are you? burgerland? bongland? if so you're better off just applying to jobs in your own country because it's impossible to get a sponsor with no experience.
>What the heck should I do?
Go on LinkedIn, type in all the keywords to get the jobs you want to show up in the search, make sure it's for your entire country, don't just do LinkedIn Easy Apply, right click new tab for each job you see, once you have like fifty tabs open, go to the gas station and get a couple red bulls (alternatively adderall), come back and turn a music on with a nice beat and start chugging away at those applications all day. take a break the next day and then repeat every other day. eventually you'll get fast at them. i have never had an interview for an internship as a graduate, so i wouldn't even bother wasting the time applying for them but you can try.

of course make sure your resume is good, leverage AS MUCH UNI PROJECT EXPERIENCE AS YOU CAN, no matter how fucking bullshit the project was. make something up. make sure your resume hits all the buzzwords (C/C++, MATLAB, whatever technical knowledge, etc) for the jobs you're applying for. If you can get references from a professor, put those on there to fill some empty space. every 6 months do a bullshit personal project and add that to your resume with the month you did it and what you learned from it.

>I’m bored out of my mind at home.
get a part time job at a warehouse or barista or something, and add that to your resume too (along with some hobby you have) so it looks like you're doing something in the meantime.

welcome to hell buddy, and remember, WAGMI
>>
I keep thinking my life is shit and yet it keeps getting worse. Mostly this can be traced back to wanting a career in science.

If you lads are like me, which I suspect some of you are, take this as advice to just get a job that pays the bills and avoid grad school like the plague.
>>
File: 7763-28144-2685.gif (2.23 MB, 320x384)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB GIF
>>14886859
>grad school
lol
if your major cant land you a near-six figure job with just a bachelors then dont study that
>t. EE
>>
>Masters exam in Digital and Analog circuits tomorrow
Any tips?
>>
>>14887120
jerk off couple hours before the test
>>
>>14886679
It took me like 6 months to find an engineering job in something I hated, but was glad I landed to have something on the resume. I think you should just apply to literally anything just to get some work experience at this point lad.
>>
>>14886679
My company (Northrop Grumman) is massive and is currently hiring even more people.
We have hundreds of openings in literally every EE field.
Big locations are Maryland, Virginia, California, Florida, Texas
I was hired in July and it was my first job, my salary is $80K + full benefits.
The interview was with 7 engineers and was more of a "just making sure you're not a sperg, also tell us about your senior classes" -type of interview. Just say you're into fighter jets and they'll like you.

https://www.northropgrumman.com/jobs/?category=Engineering
>>
>>14886438
>Be me
>CSlet in EU
>Do a physics minor, am allowed to take around a semester's worth of experimental physics courses
>Finished electrodynamics
>Will do optics, mechanics, thermodynamics

Holy shit, are you me? I am literally a EUfag CS major with a physics minor for my masters, and literally doing electrodynamics right now, while planning to do thermo and mechanics later.

What the fuck? Did I write this post while I was drunk??
>>
>>14886578
Thanks anon, then I'll take a look at that. The thing is, I hear a lot of conflicting things about learning QM (holes in theory, no true practical applications, shilled everywhere); sadly I can only do so many physics courses, otherwise I'd do both. So far, it seems to me that nuclear physics has way more practical applications and it interests me more.

But if I had to, I'll just do QM. I'll look into it then, thanks anon.
>>14887848
Based anon, keep on grinding. For me it's pure intellectual scatisfaction and I do seem to have a feeling that physics will somehow help later on.
>>
>>14888245
>scatisfaction
Wtf, I meant satisfaction kek. Believe me anons, I don't indulge in shit.
>>
File: doomer_fresh.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
any advice on finding a part-time job with a CS degree? I don't want to sit for 8 hours in some office cubicle every day.

i live in northeastern USA by the way
>>
File: unknown-379.png (12 KB, 247x371)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>14887845
that's funny, what do you do as an EE? I wanted to intern at northrop for FPGA positions. Diff anon btw. I'm assuming that under consideration means I got past the resume filter.

>>14886679
If you have citizenship, apply to all DoD contractors like raytheon, lockheed, NG, l3harris, Boeing, bae
>>
how bad of an idea is doing PhD with basically "might as well" as a reason?
>>
>>14888326
I can't tell you that, but I can tell you that it's the reason for most people I know, along with wanting a fancy title and not wanting to bother with looking for a job for 3 more years.
>>
>>14888326
It's why I did mine, and it sounds cool when you're at family gatherings. If you like the work, do it. Just know the financial opportunity cost beforehand so you don't feel regret
>>
>>14888293
>that's funny, what do you do as an EE?
im a test engineer for satellites, radars, and antennas
basically running many day's worth of tests measuring every performance metric and passing feedback back to the design department, and up to the production department
>>
>>14886859
I did a PhD in Physics, and I have a job that pays the bills. It is kind of weird that I am still not used to disposable income after years as a postdoc, then again I am quite happy without materialistic cravings.
So I did it, and there is nothing remarkable about me, so you should be able to do it too. WAGMI.
>>
>>14887845
>>14888293
thanks for the tips lads. i had an interview that went decently well with Northrop some months ago but didn't get the job, i applied to a ton of spots there again for the next "wave" (I was told they hire in waves) so hopefully something comes of that. Lowe's part time interview next week so there's something for the meanwhile
>>
>Internship opportunity job
>Minimum qualifications: PhD, publication in one of top-tier journals
yep, let's fucking go
>>
>>14888245
>I hear a lot of conflicting things about learning QM (holes in theory, no true practical applications, shilled everywhere). So far, it seems to me that nuclear physics has way more practical applications and it interests me more.

OK I'm not going to be too much of an asshole but trust me on this: that's a really, really stupid take. Whether or not there are holes in the fundamental theory is for the theoreticians to worry about, the one overwhelming reason QM is so popular is that it is successful and necessary for describing a vast number of phenomena of which many are of importance in technologies that are widely used today. Any serious research driving technological developments concerning semiconductors, electronics at the nanoscale, photonics, just to name a few will heavily rely on quantum mechanics. Not to mention theoretical chemistry (including most computational simulations used in such) is basically just quantum mechanics. I don't have enough space here to write the practical applications of quantum mechanics but anyone saying there aren't any clearly knows absolutely fuck all about most of current technological research and development and/or quantum mechanics.
>>
>>14888293
>raytheon
don't apply here, this place pays like ass and the benefits suck. NG pays higher.
>>
>>14889281
This
Raytheon and Boeing are absolute shitholes these days.
Northrop and Lockheed are much more competently ran.
>>
How significant does your PhD research need to be to get a tenure in a proper university straightaway without post-doc begging?
>>
is academia really as soul-draining, life-stealing as some people say?
i really like researching and was planning on doing PhD and staying for research, but the more i ask people around the worse it seems
i start to feel like aiming for R&D at some more research oriented company might be a better way to go
>>
>>14890067
You basically need few nature tier first author articles and secure major funding which would basically force the Uni to create the position for you just to get it on it. Basically impossible.
>>
>>14890169
It is for normal people. If you seriously think research is fun and want to stay after your PhD, you're mentally ill anyway, so it might not be that way for you.
>>
>>14890177
The money isnt great, its highly competitive and you have to spend time abroad for extended periods of time. If none of that is a deal breaker and you love doing research (=/= studying physics or w/e) then you can end up doing fine and happy.
>>
>>14890169
Just remember that if you want to achieve anything significant, there's basically no point staying in academia unless you're already coming from tier 1 university
>>
>>14890169
Ordinary jobs suck too though, usuallly more than academia but its more money, stability and less of a headache.
>>
>>14890182
Nobody gives a fuck about your university, everyone gives a fuck about your research track and which group you were working under and what connections this enabled.
>>
>>14890187
Oh yeah, because research group and connections are completely unrelated to what university you're in
>>
>>14890169
the problem with academia is that everything comes down to your citations
experience, additional activities, side projects etc., nothing matters if it doesn't help getting your h-index up
>>
>>14890187
The only time this is true is if when we consider research institutes that are not related to universities such as CERN, Los Alamos or Max Planck.
Other than that, this is false, because you simply won't be challenged to do ground-breaking research, and even if you tried to do it on your own, you wouldn't get the funding.

To succeed in life you need to be the dumbest guy in the room, because that means there is still improvement to make, and much to learn. If you're at some no-name school doing research, you're not surrounded with high-achievers, workaholics and straight up genius who were born that way, because these three categories of people are all in the top US schools + EPFL/ETHZ (why the fuck are there so many nobel prizes and fields medalists in such a small country???), Imperial/Oxford/Cambridge, TUM, TokyoU and KTH.
>>
>>14888245
>holes in theory, no true practical applications, shilled everywhere
Quantum mechanics gave us:
>diode
>transistors
>lasers
>magnetic resonance
>electron microscope
Quantum mechanics promises us:
>quantum computing
>quantum information processing
>quantum cryptography
The discovery of QM is just as groundbreaking as the discovery of mechanics and electricity were, mechanics gave us transportation, electricity and thermodynamics gave us power and energy storage and transportation, quantum is giving us information and computation.
>>
how the fuck do people decide what to do with career?
I have a year of studies left and i have no fucking clue what to do next, in the sense that there are so many different options that are equally (potentially) good for me
>>
File: 1660335578736140.jpg (81 KB, 1024x989)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>no recruiter feedback
i wish they'd at least tell me to fuck off
>>
>>14888958
>>14890407
Ok, I'll take your words for it. You're right, I know fuck all about both particle physics and QM. I'll do QM; sadly I can choose only one of two. Both interests me though, I'll probably self-study particle physics in my free time. Just want to make sure I can make something of what I learn.

Take care anons, thanks; I'll just bite the bullet and work.
>>
>>14890685
>how the fuck do people decide what to do with career?
There is more randomness to this than people realise. My career had been all over the place, mostly ina good way. At a high school reunion I wondered if it was just me, so I asked the others. They too had mostly been caught in the currents of random events and ended up where they had not planned to be.
Only one person had a clear plan about what he wanted to do, and he had failed.
>>
>>14886372
Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRL-ByuQuo&list=PL-BRtcBm4Yj6ZpOG49cbHut0gtuCEVXfk
>>
>apply to a job
>land an interview
>done well
>next few interviews go well
>fucked up at the last one
>got rejected but said I'm welcome to try next time, because not many people make it that far
how long should I wait for "next time"?
>>
File: 1661112836512197.jpg (29 KB, 602x663)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I have a problem with creating my first paper. My prof is non-existent currently and he doesn't know how to do it properly anyway. Hoping someone can shed some light here.
I have found an efficient algorithm for an engineering-related task that I want to publish. I would also like to publish the code alongside the paper, in a way that makes it easily reproducible. I am working with Python code and a Jupyter notebook for control and presentation. A few questions I have are
1.: How do I make this reproducible by anyone?
2.: How do I make sure they're using the same package versions? Just pip freeze and putting a script in the git repo that builds a virtualenv?
3.: Should I try to publish everything including the code in archive to avoid reviewers stealing anything and having it gain momentum?
A tutorial on how to do this without looking like a kid discovering git for the first time (i.e., for how to do this in a professional way) would be a huge time-saver.
>>
>>14890835
the "fuck off" is implied. you assume that's what they're going with until proven otherwise.
>>
>>14890685
>how the fuck do people decide what to do with career?
they don't. most people apply to dozens or hundreds of jobs and whatever they get is whatever they do.
>but i'm smart
nobody cares, faggot. the 105iq HR soccer mom with no clue what your job is all about reading your application can't tell the difference and will pick based on something approximating a random number generator.
>>
>too stupid to be a researcher
>too ambitious to be an engineer
what's the solution?
>>
>>14892034
>I have a problem with creating my first paper. My prof is non-existent currently and he doesn't know how to do it properly anyway.
Wow, this raises more red flags than a matador!

>Hoping someone can shed some light here.
Well, this general is one of the more helpful ones.

>I have found an efficient algorithm for an engineering-related task that I want to publish.
At this stage you should first contact the university technology transfer office; you might have something patentable here. A patent is worth 10 publications, the FAQ has rather a lot of info about this. It is crucial that the patent application is filed BEFORE the article is published. Professors always try to worm themselves into co authorships, and by extension as co-inventors on patent applications. The latter is illegal if they have no real contribution and it is considered fraud against USPTO and it will kill the patent.

> I would also like to publish the code alongside the paper, in a way that makes it easily reproducible. I am working with Python code and a Jupyter notebook for control and presentation. A few questions I have are
Also code will have to remain unpublished until patent application is filed.
>1.: How do I make this reproducible by anyone?
I am not sure how this can be a problem, but for publication adn patenting you might want to define the conditions clearly.
>2.: How do I make sure they're using the same package versions? Just pip freeze and putting a script in the git repo that builds a virtualenv?
How about flatpack? While taking a lot of space it ensures you have control over dependencies.
>3.: Should I try to publish everything including the code in archive to avoid reviewers stealing anything and having it gain momentum?
Some patent attorneys use code samples in the applications. First filing a patent application gives you a priority date that exist to stop such theft.
>>
is a compsci degree better than a cybersec degree if I intend on going into cybersec?
leddit says to get compsci because cybersec isn't a good degree
>>
>>14892299
reddit will tell you that being a man isn't good and you should do HRT
what kind of fucking idea is that it's better to do CS instead of security if you want to do security?
>>
>>14892349
that's the same thought I had
the reasoning they gave was compsci being more marketable, giving you a better tech base to work with, and having more flexibility in career from it
I'm trying to go to school asap but I need a calculus 1 credit if I go the compsci path or tia+ if I want cybersec, but the tia+ seems quicker to achieve than a calc 1 credit after being out of school for 8 years
>>
>>14888293
>If you have citizenship, apply to all DoD contractors like raytheon, lockheed, NG, l3harris, Boeing, bae
I got autorejected from all of them.
I realize this forum has an elitist mentality but the problem with applying to these massive companies is that they get so many applications that they can choose the best resumes. If you are an average candidate you'll just get thrown out immediately.
>>
>>14892395
>If you are an average candidate you'll just get thrown out immediately.
3.0 GPA with no internships, I got offers from Boeing, Raytheon, and Northrop.
>>
I was supposed to start 3 weeks ago and I'm in limbo because my Indian HR specialist can't figure out how to set up a drug screening.
>>
>>14869270
Top quant firms pretty much only want PhD's.

SWE and data science are lucrative and with better work hours.
>>
What was your one regret that you had in getting your degree?
>>
>>14892872
Getting the degree
>>
>>14892872
not aiming for a better university
not really planning thesis before actually doing it
>>
>>14892395
If you get automatically rejected I think there's something fundamentally wrong with your resume, maybe you're using a different format or something is not getting picked up. Run your resume through JobScan and see if it's reading your resume properly. Even when I had a 3.2 GPA with just McDonald's, I never got auto rejected.

>>14888562
Sounds uh... fun...

>>14888623
DoD interviews are always much comfier but they make up for it using behavioral questions. Get ready for them brother.

>>14889281
>>14890059
I need an DoD internship so I just applied to everything, I have 3 positions "resume under review" and 6 northrops, I hope I at least get an interview out of them...

Lockheed recruiter reached out and nvm'ed after they realized I wasn't going to an in person event kek
>>
>>14892128
Huh, I never really thought about it this way. I am not sure whether I can file a patent in my country, I don't think it's possible for algorithms or code, but I'll see. The university offers help regarding those things. The application is indeed quite cool and may be groundbreaking (although of course it needs refinement for big industries and the hardware necessary needs to improve a bit). I consider giving it a shot sending it to Nature if patenting doesn't work.
Thanks for the hint about flatpack, I'll check it out.
Thanks in general for all the hints! Greatly appreciated.
>>
>>14892977
Do you feel like you have less opportunities or a worse education because you went to a worse school?
>>
Eurocold here. I will graduate with a CS degree at 34. Not a problem. The actual problem is that I have never formally worked in my life. In my 20s I was either a NEET, getting secondary education, or one failed uni start. I am also neurodivergent (obviously won't disclose), explaining my life troubles, and get dysgenicsbux.
My CV looks professional and perfect, again, not the problem. But I have a 18-22 and 27-29 career gap. I plan to just put a friend who owns a house there as my employer, me being a janitor.
I guess it's believable enough (although the believability is stretched if I put it for both gaps? If so, I don't know what to put in the older gap), but is janitor as only official work experience in adult life a dealbreaker? What do you think?
>>
Are there any jobs for theory of computation/theoretical cs besides research?
And if so am I better off getting a math degree than a cs degree?
Is anyone using these things in their job?
>>
>>14893673
just find a part time job somewhere and list that without putting a date on how long you've worked there, they'll assume you've worked irrelevant jobs and won't even ask, say you don't have any relevant work experience for the particular job you're applying for, and try to find an internship before you graduate (they don't accept people not enrolled at the point of application usually)
>>
>get physics PhD
>have no job prospects
yeah
time to hit up the ol rope shop
>>
>>14893693
Where have you applied?
>>
>>14881784
Build it in minecraft
>>
> Have a bachelors in math
> Get a job as a data analyst in banking industry where I mostly make shitty dashboards and not much math aside from statistical testing and analysis
> Want to switch field to AI, Data Science, or Quant but can't decide
Help bros I'm at a cross road, should I pursue a master's degree?
>>
>>14889281
>>14890059
>>14888623
>>14888293
Thoughts on modern Honeywell, specifically Aerospace? I got a job with them a month or so ago and, after taking a virtual internship with L3Harris in school a couple years ago, things feel a bit off in a way I don’t know how to describe.
>>
>>14894057
AI industry truly is a joke if it is that easy for you to switch to it, also I suggest data science, data/ML engineering is the new software engineering.
>>
>>14894098
I know it's hard to get into AI but there's huge potential in the field and interesting stuff like the recent stable diffusion AI. What's the best way for a math bachelor to get into this industry?
>>
>>14893418
>I am not sure whether I can file a patent in my country, I don't think it's possible for algorithms or code, but I'll see.
What country? Also, can you say what university? I mighht be able to search up info on that institution.
Also the university is likely to have rules in place regarding patenting, so most likely the university will be the applicant (and pay for it all). You probably signed a lot of legal documents when you started, some probably cover IPR related matter.

>Thanks in general for all the hints! Greatly appreciated.
You are welcome.
>>
>>14894075
been trying to get a job there they've rejected me ten times now
>>
>>14893577
both
the shorter thing - the curriculum was just too broad and outdated, i was forced to do e.g. electrical stuff or physics on a computer science course, it's a huge waste of time
the longer thing:
the problem with worse universities is that the expectations are lower - that's obvious
the problem that lies behind that, is that it's way easier to be exceptional, there are less people to look up to, there's a smaller drive to be greater and to push yourself
i was getting As, doing side projects and active in the community and i thought i thought that yep, it's going well since I'm doing more than others
but while I was doing some small 3-4 weeks long projects for fun, guys at e.g. MIT or Harvard are working on papers, big projects, doing real research, etc.
I'm near the end of my masters, with no papers, no big projects, only some activity in the science club and organizing a hackathon, meanwhile guys out there can often have papers with hundreds of citations, or done projects that guarantee then a job in almost any company etc
I didn't even realize it's possible to be that exceptional until I started thinking about staying in the academia, but that's almost a closed path for me at this point
I'm trying to make up for it, doing courses and working on papers but the fact is, that I'm, and will pretty much always be years behind guys at better universities
>>
>>14894377
Anonymise your CV and put it up here for review. While these reviews are effective, they also tend to be on the brutal side, so make sure you sanitise the data.
>>
>>14868181
>Doomer edition
Ok, I'm all kinds of fucked up rn and some input from Anons, someone please explain to me why faggots in consulting always talk shit about "earning big stacks" or whatever when they literally earn dogshit?

>Background story important for context (at a recent conference):
I was staying over in the room with this PhD candidate in the same national lab position as me, and didn't feel like walking back to my hotel. So after we fucked she starts opening up about typical womenshit, complaining about sexual harassment or whatever from her colleagues. I was tuning most of it out, but then she started talking about her bf struggling to pay rent and I asked her, wtf, I thought he worked for Accentur? So it turns out he's getting LESS money than we do as PhD candidates/RAs. She then explained the whole the pyramid scheme of consulting firms to me basically you are working yourself to death for less money than even shitty PhD stipends get just so a fraction of your intake has a shot at promotion, which STILL pays like shit for several more years. I thought she was just shitting on her bf at first (hence the context), but I checked out the renumeration for the titles she mentioned on glassdoor it's true. Looking back every single time my friends who "sold out" joining these firms have always talked shit about earning a lot of money, but they never mentioned hard numbers. Basically the very senior roles skew the average.

What the actual fuck. For the last 5 years I thought this was always going to be my way out. A fallback if I don't want to do a postdoc. I'm slowly realising hopping from one shitty temp contract to another is somehow my best career move.

I really want to start a family soon, and I was hoping for graduation to be the light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>>14894811
Idk what industry you work in specifically but here in Pharma manufacturing the starting pay for consultants is bad, both US and Canada. The ones who do make a lot have usually stuck it out for a while, but the work they do is boring as shit and often requires you to work for complete retards and commute a long distance. Also job security is not particularly good imo. And by "good" pay I mean breaking 100k, which is fucking nothing in my area of Canada.

I'm not a consultant but I work with lots of them. I would only take those jobs if I was literally going broke, the lifestyle sucks so bad.
>>
>>14868199
>I want money to research my own interests desu
We all do, the only way I've seen it happen is people who start their own small companies/firms and then make enough revenue that they can research random bullshit. But it's just as much of a grind as academia in the end.

Basically we only ever get to have some freedom in our PhDs, that is literally the peak of our careers, as horrifically depressing as that sounds.
>>
>>14894873
Jfc so it's all true. But who actually makes a lot of money then? Only professors and the managers at big companies? I don't understand how the average salaries of graduates are so high, I always thought it was precisely the guys going into consulting/transitioning to finance sector etc. but I'm quickly learning that the salaries everywhere is dogshit and that gradschool wasn't even a mistake compared to those sectors.

My field is not pharma, but closely related (on the processing side we are actually (though rarely), employed by pharma as well). I really feel like there was this promised land of industry, but it seems if you don't get into a big company you basically have no shot in hell (God only knows who gets into big companies too, because I know perfect GPAs with family connections don't even get in).
>>
>>14894811
You climb the ladder starting at the lowest rung, and that does not pay well. That goes for consultancies and for law firms, at the bottom the pay is mediocre. The reason people stay on, is the promise of a bigger bite of the cake: partnership. That is when the money starts rolling in.

>>14895219
>But who actually makes a lot of money then?
Partners. They get a share of the profit of the company.
>>
>>14895281
That's literally a worse fucking scam than academia with even worse odds than the tenure fantasy.
>>
>>14895307
Obviously, but only nonces who think they're bigshots work in consulting in the first place.
>>
>>14895313
So basically the only real option for us is to get into a top tier company? R&D at top companies at least pay well, I suppose exhausting all my favours for this is the only option left.
>>
>>14895307
Not really. In academia you are kept down, in some countries they dangle taht tenure carrot in front of people until they are past 40. In consulting you are meant to progress. Any company that tries to obstruct the path will find themselves short of people. I know of several cases and in all cases people left in droves, and only bad reputation remained.

I am a partner in a patent law firm, and we take this seriously. We hire people that we hope we can have as partners.
>>
>finally get a job in the "software engineering group"
>it still isn't work from home
I'm done.
>>
>>14868181
Anybody on /sci/ work in radio engineering? What do you guys actually do?

I have a friend trying to convince me to apply for a job in that area, but I feel like I know jack shit about radios or engineering. Background is in experimental physics.
>>
>>14895681
What do software engineers need to see each other in person for lol
>>
>>14895698
I’m an RF engineering major that works on projects for DoD jets
See:
>>14888562
>>
>>14895219
Pharma anon here, and I could write for ages about this. Another note on cucksulting in pharma is that most of the people I see "making it" are the guys that do consulting out of school for 1-3 years and then hop to some dedicated mid-sized company that services the food or drug industry, or get a lucky break and snag a decent salary at a big company. That jump comes with a chunky salary increase. Those lucky breaks are almost exclusively when a company has someone suddenly leave and they just need to fill a spot quickly.

Otherwise, in pharma Quality, Regulatory, and Production departments I feel like its luck of the draw in getting a decent gig that pays alright. For the most part all of the decent paying jobs seem to work people to the bone and all the good lifestyle jobs pay like 80k max. Only people I see making good money and actually enjoying their lives work in weird niche departments like complains or quality systems. Lab people continuously get fucked in the ass by low pay and massive workload.

As another anon said, its the managers and partners that pocket the lion's share in consulting companies. I feel like in a lot of pharma companies people fail to the top. Retarded people do just enough to not get canned, and after a few years their agglomerated knowledge is just enough to make firing/layoff an inconvenience. They stick around and as other people quit, they get shuttled up. And yes Pharma is the promised land of industry, it just depends on the department. Companies are so big that different sites and departments can be polar opposites. R&D often pays well and sometimes Quality does from my experience, but lab people and production-focused staff (other than managers) get fucking railed.
>>
Waiting to hear back after reaching the final round for a dream job is horrible.

Can't handle the anxiety or the over thinking. How are people able to deal with it?
>>
>>14895780
So you were dedicated to that topic then, several years of experience as opposed to something I could plausibly pick up the basics of?
>>
>>14894057
>>14894098
>AI or qunat
Pretty hard to switch into these. With AI, industry applications are limited. Most roles are in R&D where the demand for practitioners is usually filled by the supply of ML phds.

Quant roles are also limited and are filled by grads from target schools.
>>
File: phd.png (144 KB, 1024x487)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
the russian one sounds less gay and autistic
>>
Is it a good idea to claim to be a tranny in order to get female-exclusive scholarships?
>>
>>14896121
you can certainly try. if they require paperwork or hrt proof then it'll be harder but I highly doubt any of us can give you a proper answer anon
>>
>>14894458
The vast majority of people in those elite universities are not going to publish a paper during their undergrad or work on a project more involved than baby's first arduino. Most of them come out with standard grades, maybe an internship or two and nothing much beyond that.

You're comparing yourself to the 0.01% of achievers in the 0.01% of universities and feeling bad about yourself. It's not particularly useful. Whatever issues you have would not have been alleviated in an elite institution.
>>
>>14896121
if it works. i wonder if they require some evidence of attempts to relief dysphoria but if that happens you can accuse them of being truscum bigots
>>
>>14894875
>we
>our
who?
>>
>>14892368
you're better off asking /twg/ in /g/.
cybersec is a very broad field and getting a degree in it sounds like "bachelors in engineering" to me. depending on what you do, you may find your degree to be lacking in critical areas:
>reverse-engineering malware: you need to know more cs than cs undergrads
>defending/pentesting webapps: you better know your web dev frameworks and database systems
>defending/pentesting cloud services: you better be an infosys master
>defending/pentesting distributed services: you're gonna wish you got a cs degree with specialization in distributed computing
and so on

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.