[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

what's your honest opinion on Wernher von Braun?
>>
>>14866503
he was based
>>
>>14866503
He died a flat earther according to his tombstone
>>
>>14866503
chad af, you can tell his rocket is huge
>>
>>14866503
Really a brilliant engineer and team leader, managing to advance rocketry by 60 years. He was better than 95% of humanity
>>
Posterboy of operation paperclip
>>
>>14866503
he aimed for the stars but sometimes hit london
t. tom lehrer et al
>>
>>14866763
tom was geht?
>>
>>14866503
todays elon musk
>>
>>14866728
Imagine him trying to manage a team in today's 'diversity first' NASA.
>>
mnother fucker definitely did some cool shit in MJ-12 and had contact with ayys
>>
>>14866503
Basically a sociopath that would do anything and work with anyone so long as they funded his rockets. This I have no problem with, some people are single minded. What I really hate about the man is in his later life he complained about lack of morals in the US as if someone who used forced work camps can claim the moral high ground.
tl:dr great engineer and giant hypocrite
>>
Extremely based and brilliant scientist. He was an oppotunist but he was worth every dead jew. He'd be rolling in his grave if he saw the state of space travel in 2022. I'd sacrifice 70% of NASA to have him back.
>>
>>14866503

I'm just happy that he got us on the Moon ahead of the commies, and I'm happy that the commie rocket failed. I'm happy that history worked out the way that it did, and that that one guy served his purpose. If he was a dick or something I don't care much.
>>
>>14866503
Copied so much from Fritz Lang's 1929 film Frau Im Mond (woman in the moon) it's unreal
>>
>>14866503
>>14867086
Such smart people are not allowed to have a life today.
>>
File: pathetic.png (2.4 MB, 1646x1121)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB PNG
>>14866503
misunderstood autist who gets an unfair rap
>>
>>14866503
He said that the real father of the american space race was an american rocket psychist called Jack Parsons
>>
File: wernher cute.jpg (991 KB, 3064x2284)
991 KB
991 KB JPG
>>14868113
they did jack dirty too
>>
>>14866503
He was the absolute best. Wish they woule republish his books in English.
>>
>>14868046
>autist
What makes you think that?
>>
>>14866503
He was a great man.
>>
>>14868117
Is he on a submarine? why does he have a periscope?
>>
>>14867800
But america is supposed to be a "democracy". If anything, Americans are rhe only hypocrites in this scenario because they claim to be a tolerant democracy
>>
>>14866503
wouldn't have done it without kalman and bellman
>>
File: WvB.png (1.08 MB, 1280x1684)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>14869132
launch bunker.
>>14869116
the way he holds himself, his autistic cadence (persists across many languages, and you can tell if someone is an autist whether they speak russian, german, japanese, etc; since the lilt is all the same), lack of eye contact, and general awkward adorability
https://youtu.be/8zcU85O82XE?t=24
>>
>>14869222
damn that's a cool photo.
>>
File: wernher milk.jpg (3.83 MB, 3000x2288)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
>>14869224
he was just a cool dude
>>
Rare von Braun video, discussing his religious beliefs since moving to America:
>>>/wsg/4747439

He was obviously a very thoughtful man, not just a brilliant engineer.
>>
>>14867800
>lack of morals in the US
look around you retard.
If anything he HAD the moral high ground.
Von Braun should have V2'd your grandmother.
>>
>>14867800
>What I really hate about the man is in his later life he complained about lack of morals in the US
He chose to surrender to Americans, rather than Soviets, because he had a moment of clarity and realized it would be better to live in a country that followed the bible rather than a secular communist one.

If he was later dismayed to find America drifting away from Christianity, that is certainly consistent with his earlier reasoning.
>>
>>>/wsg/4747439
>>14869229
while I agree with the axiom of this (i.e. consciousness is matter and that matter doesn't just go away, you merely just change forms) it relies heavily on the idea of a superconscious, judgemental god. I think concsiousness is its own motivation, and spreading the spark of knowledge is our mission in this world, as is the goal of all life to spread their genes. see >>>/wsg/4747448

>>14869235
or everyone knew the soviets were rapacious brutes and he could see what was coming to korolev from miles away.
>>
>>14869243
>(i.e. consciousness is matter and that matter doesn't just go away, you merely just change forms) it relies heavily on the idea of a superconscious, judgemental god.
I think you misunderstand his argument a bit. He's not using quantum mechanics as a proof of God. Rather, he's assuming the existence of God already, and in that framework, is using quantum mechanics as aesthetic evidence for the existence of an immortal soul. It goes something like this:
>God exists
>God made the subatomic particles and chose to make them immortal.
>God made humans as well, and human souls are his masterpiece.
>Therefore, since God saw fit to bestow immortality to subatomic particles, he surely did the same for human souls.

>>14869243
>or everyone knew the soviets were rapacious brutes and he could see what was coming to korolev from miles away.
I think the Christian doctrines of forgiveness and redemption almost certainly played a role. He knew that he might live a normal life in America where he might be forgiven for his past transgressions, but knew that such forgiveness was unlikely in the Soviet system.
>>
File: sadwernher.jpg (1.19 MB, 1574x1974)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>14869255
that's what I mean, he's relying on a presupposed existence. also for the second part, it was public knowledge how the soviet union purged their scientists and brass, as well as how brutal the red army was being in their reconquered territories.
>>
File: wernher on exploration.png (3 MB, 1720x2250)
3 MB
3 MB PNG
>>14869255
that argument doesn't hold a lot of water given mass-energy equivalence. moreover, the soul is just a brand of consciousness, and whether someone has a soul or not is determined entirely by their wetware (cells) so i doubt any omniscient or omnibenevolent being would bother drawing some sort of marker between good and bad like they say. also the bible and christianity are the lamest interpretation of a god concept, even judaism is better. gnostic\dharmic cosmicism is the only one that makes a lick of sense to me as they are both open about god being a concept\amalgam of universal processes, rather than a defined being that encompasses a singular consciousness or anthropmorphised personality.

I'm of the opinion that divinity is recursive, meaning that IFF we choose to define that set of universal processes as divine, then so too is consciousness, and the soul is just useful shorthand for which consciousnesses pass a certain criteria of operational efficiency\wide enough scope to be considered "significant" in the divine sense. Since the divine encompasses all things, i.e. all souls, divinity lives within each soul as well. Ergo, divinity is recursive.

Wernher's argument seems more along the lines of "order is relative", which, if you take the largest view possible, is true. Who knows if death is just transitioning to a much larger state of being? pick a rock on your desk and put a phone... which one has more order to it? which one is more chaotic, and which one is more controlled? that depends purely upon whether you are a human or not. Hence, order is relative, and so too might be consciousness.
>>
>>14869299
>that argument doesn't hold a lot of water given mass-energy equivalence.
I represented his argument imprecisely. He says
>"Nothing in nature, not even the tiniest particle, can disappear without a trace."
Particles are not immortal precisely, but when they get converted into energy they aren't disappearing "without a trace", the energy they turn into is a trace. Black holes possibly destroying information is a better counter-point to his claim.

Anyway, it's a wholly aesthetic argument, and he takes for granted the existence of a God that does separate right from wrong, and judges people accordingly. It's an argument meant to convince people who already believe in such a God, to also believe that the soul is immortal because that would be aesthetically consistent with other design choices the God made when creating the rules of the universe. I think he is speaking to the sort of people who are like he once was, people who nominally consider themselves Christians but are living sinfully, without a care for final judgement. It's an argument for unobservant Christians.
>>
>>14866503
based nazi turncoat

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.