[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg (185 KB, 1286x1254)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
What did they do to make autists hate them so much?
>>
>>14865357
Put a paid advertisement on TV featuring a mother talking in graphic detail about wanting to murder her autistic child.
>>
>>14865357
The autism.
>>
>>14865357
They portray autism as a mental disability (which it is) but it makes autists bristle because like all biologically troubled people they don't like being reminded that they're not normal.
>>
>>14865357
>What did they do to make autists hate them so much?
Mostly the same shit that other non-profit (for-profit) advocacy groups do.

-Promotes and propagates false information/features information that can't be traced back/has exhibited a habit of only featuring news that served its own interest.

-Incapable of showing that the money donated to it was actually spent on research or services/has published fraudulent information about how it spent the money.

-The research they financed (at least what could be shown to have been financed by them) was either weirdly geared towards genetics or autism prevalence studies.

-Practically all senior board members have connections to corporations and companies or are representatives of them.

-Subscribed to and propagated a overly simplistic biomedical model that was not helpful because the group was simultaneously unable to provide any biomedical treatment.

-It was noted by many that the organization was trying to cash in big on the autism epidemic, in connection with providers of behavioral therapies who lobbied hard to get their behavioral therapy covered as a medical treatment for autism.

-Was indecisive about the vaccine-autism link. It is the result of a merging of two previous advocacy groups, one of which promoted the vaccine link. The daughter of the guy who founded is was an convinced anti-vaxxer.

-Featured and released questionable and harmful advertisement as noted by >>14865360 which was noted by many to deliberately elicit reactions of fear and disgust. Autism speaks' material has since been critically discussed and featured in numerous books that deal with eugenics and how corporations manipulate public consent.

-Released and provided papers and sheets featuring so called 'red flag' behaviors that were allegedly indicative of autism. While the organization officially decried the increase in autism rates, much of what it did was clearly conductive to the on going diagnostic inflation.
>>
>>14865433
There's more reasons (none of which are limited to that group however). One that I forgot is the following.

-Autism speaks which 'officially' is supposed to advocate for autistics has not at any point actually bothered to represent them.
The group was hostile to any attempts made by autists to change something in their program. The group has several times lobbied against promotions, laws, amendments etc. that were advanced by autistics or autistic self-advocacy groups.

So called advocacy groups, especially patient advocacy groups, are nearly always scams. Autism speaks is an exceptionally bad group because it was easy to look through and the organization is now in decline, on the one hand because of resistance, on the other because it has fulfilled its purpose and is now obsolete.

>>14865368
>bristle because like all biologically troubled people
There's no proof for a biological component.
>>
>>14865448
>There's no proof for a biological component.
UCSD has effectively proved it. Suramin cures autism so it must be metabolic.
>>
>>14865449
How do I get suramin?
>>
>>14865357
>autists
They spoke too much about too little.
>>
>>14865449
>You can cure autism with a dangerous medication that's killed a fair number of the people it's been prescribed to
>No, I won't provide evidence for my claim
On a related note, in answer to OP's question, the kinds of parents who joined Autism Speaks strongly overlapped with the kinds of parents who gave their autistic children bleach enemas because someone on the internet said it would cure their autism.
>>
File: Neural Pepe_9.jpg (16 KB, 217x212)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>14865357
They don't want solutions; they want more Autistic people so that their Non-Profit always has people to profit off of.
>>
>>14865357
They're a social/business organization. Autistic people are mad at them because autism is a brain handicap that cripples your ability to understand social situations or social value, so to the very autists they represent don't understand their purpose.

The whole situation is very funny from the outside.
>>
>>14866352
>because autism is a brain handicap that cripples your ability to understand social situations or social value
Again, there's no proof of a neurobiological component. Repeating false information won't make it true.
>so to the very autists they represent don't understand their purpose.
which is?
>>14865449
What's up with the posters on /sci/ pushing drugs? If autism is metabolic, why would it be classed as a neurodevelopmental condition?
>>
seething sperg in the thread
you love to see it
>>
>>14865357
the name itself is cringe as fuck and insult to autists, simple as that, the whole thing was prolly setup by sociopath
>>
>>14866890
>What's up with the posters on /sci/ pushing drugs? If autism is metabolic, why would it be classed as a neurodevelopmental condition?
Because for a long time nobody had any fucking clue what caused it.
>>
>>14866270
>>14866890
You can just google it to find out they're doing clinical trials. Why does nobody on /sci/ actually follow medical news?
https://health.ucsd.edu/news/topics/Suramin-Autism/Pages/default.aspx
>>
>>14867151
>Why does nobody on /sci/ actually follow medical news?
Because thousands of papers are published each day? Inform us if it does NOT turn out to be a nothingburger.
>>
>>14867165
They passed their phase I human trials with pretty great results and are moving on to a bigger cohort. I'm fairly optimistic.
>>
>>14867167
>They passed their phase I human trials with pretty great results and are moving on to a bigger cohort.
There's no mention of that nor is it shown that the 'studies' they conducted in any way abide by the standards required of proper scientific research. The only thing that comes close to human trials are parent reports (or so it's claimed) that just repeat overused and tiring autism stereotypes. I am not going to claim with 100 % certainty that these reports are fraudulent but I assume they are.
>I'm fairly optimistic.
You shouldn't be. What you posted isn't even a paper. It's a document published by a for-profit clinic that also offers suramin treatments. It claims that autism is caused by metabolic disorders but can't provide proofs either. Considering the heterogenity of autism, the poor prognostic value of the diagnosis and its strong hereditary base, it's unlikely that metabolic disorders whose manifestation tends to fluctuate on a weekly base can cause a condition that is remarkably stable over years even in comparison to other DSM-5 diagnoses.
>>
>>14865368
You are a horrible person.
>>
>>14865357
Mental illness literally does not exist, nor do any mental conditions. It's all artifice, social constructs designed to reinforce the monkey brain social conformity essential to the function of a society. People will invent entire institutions and fields of (((science))) just to rationalize why a person is different from them and will propagate facile dogmas for the purpose of making money, or enforcing social control that they are partial to. Autism is not real, and if you fell for it you were merely lured by suggestion into believing in some immaterial edifice of the human mind that can never be proven nor observed. People just have different brains, but this explanation isn't satisfactory and we need to attach value judgments to them or invent banalities.
>>
>>14866352
The vast majority of "autism" cases are people whose neocortex works, who have to live in a world of unpredictable retards whose neocortexes do not work.
>>
>>14866352
Braindead post. These organizations exist to make money and to control people, end of discussion. They are only social in the sense that they involve people who go out and meddle in the affairs of marginalized people for the purpose of brownie points and cash. "Autists" want to be left alone, but the low-IQ narcissistic chimps who run organizations like this cannot fathom the notion of simply letting live, and have the ape brain compulsion to aggressively impose themselves upon anything external, and will ruin the very thing they seek to "enrich".
>>
>>14865357
I could guess when someone is mildly autistic, it doesn't affect their life too much, some faggot automatically thinks that autistic people have the mental capacity of a toddler because of the stuff they have heard about.
>>
>>14865357
Most of their money is spent on searching for a “cure” for autism. Until recently they never had anyone who actually has autism be involved in any of their decision-making or serve or their board.
>>
>>14867267
>It's a document published by a for-profit clinic that also offers suramin treatments.
It's a university teaching hospital. IDK what to tell you anon.
>>
>>14867372
>some faggot automatically thinks that autistic people have the mental capacity of a toddler
Search up true autism on youtube.
>>
>>14869253
>Search up true autism on youtube.
That's just mental retardation. I mean, what's the point anyway? If they are so concerned about their developmentally retarded child, why not found a charity about severe developmental delay syndroms? Why found a 'charity' that claims that the severely retarded and your engineering student are one and the same?
>>14869389
>It's a university teaching hospital. IDK what to tell you anon.
University teaching hospitals are nearly always for-profit institutions in the USA so point in case. Idk what to tell you. That doesn't even matter actually. The 'study' in question doesn't actually reference any trials nor any literature. Looks like advertisement to me.
>>
>>14865357
the one type of person who's game you don't want to play
>>
>>14865449
>Suramin cures autism
I keep forgetting this isn't actually a science board

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.