[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1639758275629.jpg (224 KB, 1200x1200)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
What is some practical math that can help you in everyday life?
>>
>>14732795
Equation of line, useful for trying to figure out trends or patterns, use it a lot for daily stuff, like how much of a drug for something
>>
>>14732795
triple integrals
>>
>>14732795
Basic arithmetic and algebra. Maybe some stats.
>>
>>14732830
>>14732839
any examples?
>>
what kind of math should you learn if you want to be good with investments and stock trading?
>>
>>14732864
time series analysis
>>
>>14732795
Two niggers and two quarters don't add up to a dollar.
>>
>>14732860
recently had to solve a quadruple integral, literally [math]\int\int]int]int[/math]
basically the amount of fecal matter flowing through a pipe as a function of time. the triple integral is the mass as a function of density and the fourth dimension is time.
>>
>>14732795
7*7=49 which is almost 50. That means 100/7=14, or 0.14 = 1/7
>>
>>14732795
formal logic
>>
>>14732864
>what kind of math should you learn if you want to be good with investments and stock trading?
Math?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkQvRvoilU
>>
Celsius to Fahrenheit Formula: (°C * 1.8) + 32 = °F
Fahrenheit to Celsius Formula: (°F - 32) / 1.8 = °C
>>
File: 9uan1u3pv9h71.jpg (46 KB, 479x635)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>14732795
Addition and multiplication
>>
set theory - having a large ego and nothing to back up for it is required if you want to move up the ladder
>>
Differential equations.
Most math curricula is built to support your ability to solve differential equations. Additional math classes such as combinatorics or abstract algebra are just electives like art history.
>>
>>14734719
>Differential equations
How do you use them in daily life? Daily life, as in not academic or professional.
>>
>>14732799
a% of b = b% of a
>>
>>14734783
That is my daily life. A wild African doesn't use any math in his daily life, so its all relative. If you don't want to learn, then don't.
>>
File: 1637642211874.jpg (433 KB, 1016x1394)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>
>>14732795
Algebra, Geometry, Kinematics, and Financial mathematics.

You really don't need all the advanced stuff unless you're going into a specifically math heavy STEM career i.e. becoming a lonely autist.
>>
People don't use higher math irl because their brains have been trained by society to believe it's not necessary.
But it can be.
For example the other day I had to decide if I wanted to do something or not, so I ran a risk analysis with some estimated probabilities and outcomes. Turns out I has a +90% of success, and I was letting a very unlikely outcome distract me from the fact that when all the possible outcomes had been accounted for, it wasn't nearly as bad.
I did what the risk analysis told me to do, and it was a success.

Integrals aren't used by people in real life, because people have been conditioned to believe you don't use integrals in real life. But the more I try to break the conditioning the more I realize that if I look for chances to use them, i probably will.
>>
https://bookstore.ams.org/text-63/
this book looks fine
>The focus is on problems suggested by the news of the day and topics that matter to students, like inflation, credit card debt, and loans. We use search engines, calculators, and spreadsheet programs as tools to reduce drudgery, explore patterns, and get information.
I will add
>basic geometry : triangles, squares, volumen area formulas for basic shape
>pythagoras theorem and trigonometry
>mental arithmetic tricks
>cartesian coordimates, graphs
>>
>>14732795
Linear Optimization
>>
>>14732864
probability, stats
>>
>>14732795
Godel's incompleteness theorems
Morley's theorem
Constructible Universe
Forcing
>>
>>14736119
>Turns out I has a +90% of success, and I was letting a very unlikely outcome distract me from the fact that when all the possible outcomes had been accounted for, it wasn't nearly as bad.
>I did what the risk analysis told me to do, and it was a success.
>
>Integrals aren't used by people in real life, because people have been conditioned to believe you don't use integrals in real life. But the more I try to break the conditioning the more I realize that if I look for chances to use them, i probably will.
this is where it´s at
>>
>>14732907
Based Plumber Anon
>>
bump
>>
Well, I think probability is really useful irl
But I'm not sure about integrals and differential equations. One thing is knowing HOW those things work, that's important. Understanding the concepts and what they represent.
But if I want to integrate something, I just do it numerically with the computer.
>>
>>14736259
optimization theory is underrated as fuck, nobel prizes in economics in auction theory and allocation theory are all combinatorial optimization results.
>>
>>14737840
>claim opti is underrated
>also opti won nobel prizes
so why you say is underrated?
>>
You need to understand parametric vector fields and statistical modeling if you want to know how to fly a kite or whistle really well.

t. good at whistling.
>>
13-50 and statistics
>>
>>14736130
Common Sense Mathematics is free in
http://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=E881ABB846313A649D0CC75A027764DA

Error: Maximum file size allowed is 4 MB
>>
>>14737845
it's a part of maths that has many direct applications and some results are very simple, but is not taught nearly enough, I think a brief introduction to it is comparable to basic statistics or systems of linear equations. ffs a linear program is exactly a system of linear equations with an objective function to maximize
>>
Simple addition is pretty useful. I use addition pretty often in my daily life. For example, sometimes I have one of something, but then I get another one, and I need to figure out how many I have now.
>>
>>14732864
stochastic differential equations
>>
>>14732795
I'd say learning some Machine Learning is good for you because then you can see through the incredulous bullshit that Machine Learning vendors are pushing on everybody.
>>
>>14732864
I do equity research and it's pretty darn difficult to get right.
Firstly you need to be able to correctly make calculations from the reports, the calculations themselves aren't difficult (just basic addition and multiplication), but figuring what values and measurements to be included for a company to make for meaningful comparisons to competitors in the same market gets incredibly complex quickly.
You have to know how to filter out what is relevant and what is not.

Then it becomes a question of information, you have to be updated and know how literally ANY piece of information will affect your industries/stocks. This requires you to constantly be checking the news and being ready for taking opportunities or avoiding loses (and of course have a broad understanding of the world and it's resources).

Thirdly it is a question of time, you have to do all this in a timely manner for it to be worthwhile. As an average person it is just not possible. You don't have enough capital to truly make enough for it to be worth your time.

And then finally, let's say you have done all of the above. You analyze an entire industry and find a company that you truly believe in, and think is undervalued and buy the shit out of. Everything you have done might still be correct, and the stock will go down for some reason, and never recover to its intrinsic price. You need to be extremely confident in your abilities, but also know when to cut your loses.

tldr: unless you truly enjoy it, stock analysis isn't worth your time. If you enjoy it and are good at it, just go work as an analyst.
>>
the better you get at math, the more ways you find applications to it irl
>>
>>14732795
Statistical analysis is the #1. Pattern recognition is basically the definition of IQ at this point.
>>
>>14738266
this lol
>>
>>14732907
i am astounded when people say vocations don't need to learn math, especially something like plumbing which is inherently so physical and geometric
>>
>>14737822
At least try it symbolically, say with wxmaxima's integrate.
>>
>>14732795
Modular arithmetic.

Say you work in a factory and got a shipment of boxes and arranged them in rows of 6 (until the last row, where it could be less). There are supposed to be 381 of them, but you want to make sure.
Counting them would take a long time. But you can use modular arithmetic to quickly find out if you're missing some. 381 mod 6 = 3 (i.e. the remainder of dividing 381 by 6). But there are 4 boxes in the last row. This tells you you're missing at least 5 boxes. (and possibly an additional multiple of 6, so 5, 11, 17, etc.)

From there you could just count how many complete rows there are, multiply by 6, then add 4 to find how many there are.
>>
>>14739635
>381 mod 6 = 3 (i.e. the remainder of dividing 381 by 6)
why "mod" instead of "rem"?
>>
>>14739743
mod comes from modulo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation
>>
>>14732795
The entire field of mathematical optimization is dedicated to this
lots of applications in business and industry and plenty of good stuff for the purists too
>>
field theory
>>
>>14732795
The naturals

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.