[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1627609408538.jpg (204 KB, 1414x1413)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Is anti-vaxxing a coping mechanism for people too afraid of what has happened? I mean, I still get a pit in my stomach that this thing is out there. Sometimes I wish I was dumb and could pretend its a hoax or something and that evil people are evil or some weird comic book narrative.

The truth is kind of horrible on this one. Reinfection rate + exposure dictating severity + inflammation. Its pretty bad. Its hard enough to explain to kids but i expected adults to take it... better.

Sometimes I think it'd be easier to pretend this was a movie with a mustache twirling villain fooling the planet.
>>
>>14596944
>I still get a pit in my stomach that this thing is out there
Jesus fucking cringe. I've caught the thing at least once possibly 2-3 times and barely got ill and I'm an unhealthy fucking druggo. Spent the entire lockdown having illegal parties at my house, best fucking year of my life, and everyone is completely fine. Not vaxxed, not getting vaxxed. Keep coping and seething
>>
>>14596950
The fact you immediately cite anecdotal evidence shows you're not the type of person I am speaking to. I'm not even sure why we bother protecting you.
>>
>>14596961
>protecting you
lmao
>>
>>14596944
Nah, I don't like vaccine denial personally, but I understand why it exists. Some people are naturally wired to be contrarian, if everybody did and believed the same thing, well then society wouldn't be very interesting at all, now would it?

>>14596950
I was experiencing long term inflammation before I got vaccinated, imagine being unable to walk up a flight of stairs. I suppose if you can tolerate it, good for you.
>>
>>14596944

I don't think it's a coping mechanism, it's just a run-of-the-mill conspiracy theory. Mistrust of authority, easy answers to complex topics, an optimistic view of the world (humanity would be great and awesome if it weren't for these particular malevolent actors!), difficult to disprove because it's based on the innate human trait of finding patterns in things regardless whether the patterns are actually real, it ticks 100% of all the same boxes as every other bog-standard conspiracy theory.

The circumstances of the world resulted in anti-vaxxers becoming more common, sure, but they existed before the pandemic (as leftist soccer moms who don't want their children to deal with 'toxins'; it's funny in a sad way how it's hardcore right-wingers now parroting the arguments of those earlier leftists whom they'd no-doubt despise) and they'll continue to exist long after the pandemic ceases to be an issue, whenever that is.
>>
>>14596944
>>14596974
>>14596988
I am not right wing or left wing, though I do find it amusing that the politicization of this whole issue has experienced such a paradigm shift. 15 years ago if this had happened "The Left" would be the ones calling for a pause, talking about careful consideration of the implications of the vaccine, and arguing about personal liberty and choice. Most of the leftists/liberals/etc in today's society are spineless unwitting shills for big pharma. I don't like the thought of being complicit with such an obvious cashgrab. This thing is Flu+ and the US was dry tinder when it got here. Old people and fat people died, and a lot of old fat people. Shocking.
>>
>>14596944
I got two jabs. I'm in England so we've been totally free for many months now. I don't even remember when it ended... But either way, I was jabbed a long time ago. Never going to get another. Don't have sides or w.e... Basically forgot about it and just going about my life as usual.
>>
>>14596944
No idea about others but I've had all my recommended vaccinations, both for living in the US and for travel to developing countries in Africa and South America. None of the vaccinations for tropical diseases were required but I still got them anyway because the balance of risk from the vaccines and from the diseases made it a good choice.
I haven't taken the covid related injections. Covid simply isn't that much of a potential threat to me while the risk from the injections is unknown. The actions of the media and technocrats points to the strong possibility of information we're being given is skewed, making risk evaluation even more unknowable. Over time we'll get a better idea of the relative risks from both covid and the injections but right now, the weight of risk favors not getting injected.
>>
i think when more time passes, and nothing else comes along to fuck us up, we'll get some perspective and see how scary covid could've been.
>>
>>14596974
>Some people are naturally wired to be contrarian
Walk off a cliff!
If you don't do it, you're a contrarian. Better prove you're not that type of person.
>>
>>14596974
>well then society wouldn't be very interesting
Honestly, I don't feel that way anymore. I was raised on respecting differences, but the pandemic has taught me that some people's share of the pulpit should be revoked, and we should treat them more like animals for the best interest of all parties.

For the good of humanity I'm all for removing rights. Its the only chance we have to get all of our eggs out of this basket before something truly nasty happens.

Lets face facts; Some of us are cattle and some of us are farmers.
>>
>>14597069

You first.
>>
File: ICL Sucks.png (306 KB, 1711x975)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>14597068
>how scary covid could've been.
Why were we so wrong?
>>
>>14597071
My cliff walk only works if you cliff walk first.
>>
>>14597068
>and nothing else comes along to fuck us up
With our ultra-dense population centers, incursion into the wild, and continental travel habits, there's a fantastic chance of something else coming along to fuck us up funtime.
>>
>>14597078

No it doesn't.
>>
>>14596944
>Is anti-vaxxing a coping mechanism for people too afraid of what has happened?
What has happened?

>Reinfection rate + exposure dictating severity + inflammation
So...like every other viral respiratory illness?
>>
>>14596944
You used the term anti-vax. Are you implying everyone against the mRNA injections is against all vaccine types?
>>
I have avoided the vaccine because I didn’t want to catch a case of SADs.
>>
I like the dead virus vaccines. I don’t like vaccines that instruct my cells to make new proteins. Save that for cancer therapy, which is what mRNA was originally designed for.
>>
>>14596944
covid doesn't exist you retard. are you still living in 2020 or something?
>>
File: file.png (481 KB, 720x528)
481 KB
481 KB PNG
>>14596944
they're hyper paranoid schizos
>>
File: 1638073843641.jpg (59 KB, 413x434)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>14596944
>pretend this was a movie with a mustache twirling villain fooling the planet
there IS a mustache twirling villain, it's a group of people who take tax dollars from you and use it to create diseases that are then released, which means another group of people take more tax dollars from you and create injections that you are basically forced to get, and another group of people gets paid to lie to you about all this and make you think the bad guys are the ones who don't want the injections and who think maybe they shouldn't be creating these diseases in the first place.

It's just like that actual bad guys in Ukraine are the ones who make the bombs and missiles, who need people to get blown apart to make money. You can do other things for money, but these people all choose to hurt others for their money. Have they fooled you too?
>>
don't forget they planned this monkeypox thing, which was released only days away from the plan they thought up last year, shown here:
https://www.nti.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/NTI_Paper_BIO-TTX_Final.pdf
>>
>>14597018
"The left" WERE the ones calling for skepticism when it was the "trump vaccine" and "operation warp speed." Then the political pendulum swung the other way and suddenly anyone urging for skepticism is a right-wing nut job who's ignorance is killing grandma, and COVID is the next Black Death. I considered myself pretty liberal before all of this, but the "flip-on-a-dime when it's politically advantageous" mentality has made me distance myself from the current state of the partisan politics.
>>
File: 1655771653123.webm (2.05 MB, 480x480)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB WEBM
>>14596944
>I mean, I still get a pit in my stomach that this thing is out there
t.
>>
File: 1642424198569.jpg (80 KB, 750x734)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>14596944
I never cared about it from day 1
>>
>>14596944
>I wish I was dumb and could pretend its a hoax or something and that evil people are evil or some weird comic book narrative
If you're willing to denounce healthy skepticism of the government's TRUE interests as 'stupid' or 'crazy,' you're no better than the people you're mocking. The idea that we should be subservient to 'medical experts' and government entities simply because they overwhelm the masses with jargon or that they're "experts" is a foolish one. In the very beginning, it was "two weeks" to slow the spread. Then they started shifting the goal posts every other week and politicizing the matter as a D&C tactic for the 2020 election. When these supposed crazy conspiracy theorists were asking questions about the Wuhan Lab of Virology's role in the epidemic back in March / April of 2020, pseudo-intellects like you laughed at them for refuting the divine wisdom of WHO, NIAID, and the CDC.

When the supposed "good guys" are threatening people with the ultimatum of taking the vaccine or losing their jobs being ostracized, they're not the good guys.
>>
bumping OP's hilariously sad pharma shill thread
did you think everyone here was dumb or something?
>>
Nigger thread
>>
>>14597078
This nigger does not get your reply kek
>>
>>14597524
>did you think everyone here was dumb or something?
Of course. I knew there was some flotsam to talk past. Like I stated prior, I'm speaking to people, not you. Seeing as more than a couple chimed in, I'm relieved some minds haven't entirely given up on this place.

You think you're party to a debate, but you're more akin to the kid's table attempting to chime-in on the card game the adults are playing. Its to my regret that the kids table has become so populous as of late.

Still, glad to get some thoughts from a few minds.
>>
>>14596944
Still talking about vaxing.

You one big giant dull boring cunt.
>>
>>14597791
I was more interested in the cognitive bias. Its interesting to me that its easier to drum-up a cartoon scenario to comfort oneself in the face of natural brutality. Its like, I dunno, "protective" skepticism?
>>
>>14597798
>drum-up a cartoon scenario
you mean like pic related?
>>
im not getting vaxxed...got covid and was sick for an afternoon and never got it or at least ever experienced symptoms again if i did. i never got a flu shot before either..and every few years I got the flu and it was always 48 hours of being sick...so even worse than covid. Why would I get vaccinated...literally no reason....and these kike pieces of nigger shit shut down the world for a nothingburger.
>>
also old enough to remember sars...swine flu...bird flu...weve had many nothingburgers before...this time they power flexxed
>>
>>14596944
im only anti vaxxing because i predicted everything that happened. i also knew the vaxx had the potential to cause damage as it was rushed. the prediction that 'the vaxx causes damage' is still debatable, but if i was right about literally every single other prediction about the whole corona thing, im afraid that i am right about the covid vaccine as well. also multiple people have suddenly died in my fathers workplace. they were vaccinated. they were relatively young people too (30-50). i would never denounce something without hard facts in my favor, but sadly my health is not something i wouls bet on. i was called to military duty when covid first reached my country. i was a medic monitoring patients in a corona motel. we had only 1 death in 800~ patients, which is a 0.00125% mortality rate as opposed to the 6% claimes by the news back then. 800 people is a small sample, but since a lot of them were elderly and it was the only true/objective data i had, it was deemed good enough.
>>
>>14598418
and that is why i felt covid was 'just a flu' and would rather get infected than gamble with a needle. also sorry for the typos, i am, unfortunately, phoneposting.
>>
>>14596944
I bet you still believe covid isn't from the lab
>>
who is the one really coping?

im not ok with human rights abuses, government overreach, corporatocracy, media brainwashing and politicised science

im not injecting chemicals in my body just because the government said so
>>
>>14597070
Imagine believing this and also believing that you are somehow a farmer. In your vision of the world, if you don’t have multiple passports and the ability to travel privately cross borders, you will be treated as cattle.
>>
>>14596944
Literally and unironically yes. People hate the idea that random shit they have no control over can happen and fuck them. So much easier if the actual evil is the vaxx and the actual cause a conspiracy by people, because you can ascribe agency to it and consciously avoid it.
>>
>>14597214
the most hilarious thing about this post is that the poster genuinely believes it
>>
File: 1539657540798.gif (885 KB, 400x300)
885 KB
885 KB GIF
>OP and his friends
>>
>>14596944
Vaccine destroyed me, I really don't think people will allergies should take the MRNA vaccine. Your body will overreact and destroy the cells spitting out spike proteins, which can sometimes include your heart.
>>
>>14596944
Its the perfect storm of arsefuckery, which has been building for years.
Lets consider the various facets of arsefuckery. In no particular order of importance.
1) The decline of science's credibility. At one stage, perhaps up until the 1960's, science was greatly respected by the general public. But then the corporations and marketing arsefucks caught onto this and used bad science to promote products, for financial gain. Unsurprisingly some of these products turned out to be very bad and science got tarred with the brush. Asbestos. Thalidomide.
2) Bad science under the spotlight. Basically the general public do not understand what science actually means. They do not appreciate there will be incompetent practitioners as well as the genius ones. Media highlighting the errors of bad science, or worse, giving undeserved attention to pseudo science, undermines the public perception of all science. Being too ignorant or incapable of doing their own analysis the general public's trust in science decreases.
3) The politicization of science. Much like the corporations and marketing companies. Politicians using science to justify their policies has two effects. Guilty by association, people will distrust the science when associated with a party they dislike. Guilty by result, people will distrust both party and the science when errors are made, often by the misinterpretation of science by the politicians.
4), 5), 6), Other shit I cant be arsed writing out. Especially when some fucking mong will just pick an argument with what I am saying becasue they are an argumentative mong.
All this shit adds up to create a situation where a general population contains a significant number of people who simple have little faith in their governments and in science in general. Meanwhile most real scientists keep going with their heads in the clouds because they are doing science that actually matters and care little for the screeching of the chimps.
>>
>>14596974
>I was experiencing long term inflammation before I got vaccinated, imagine being unable to walk up a flight of stairs.
Lose some fucking weight. All 'long covid' sufferers I've seen were tubby pieces of shit.
>>
>>14597152
Sorry chud, you're antivax now.
>>
>>14596944
(You) have no access to objective information. You can only rely on whatever the government and the media tell you, like the rest of us.
(You) don't seem to care about Pfizer's opacity concerning adverse events.
(You) are espousing whatever narrative seems like a better bromide to assuage your fears, and thus (You) decided to put your trust in the "government" and in """science""".

I'm not saying the anti-vaxxers are right, by the way. Many of them are idiots who believe in God and in flat-earth theory. I'm just saying nobody except a few elites have the information necessary to reach a conclusion concerning covid's severity and vaccines' effectiveness, and those elites have mostly decided to keep that information to themselves so the rest of us are left here speculating one way or another. The fact that Anthony Fauci tried so hard to hide his links to the Wuhan lab and the gain-of-function research should ring a few alarm bells anyway, regardless of whether or not you believe the lab-leak theory.
>>
>>14596944
Nothing bad happened except you were born. What's the point of being alive if you never have a single thought of your own?
>>
>>14597079
Imagine believing that covid has anything to do with nature as if it wasn't created in a lab, you ultra-dense faggot. Go back to plebbit and stop littering this board with your retard takes.
>>
>>14597078
lmao good one
>>
>>14598530
Yes. Fairly gnarly outcome. There must always be a bad guy. Something to blame that isn't simple circumstance.

>>14598629
And the anti-vaxx are going to swallow up your very valid complaint and lump it in with conspiratorial horseshit. They actually do you a disservice.

>>14598739
I used to make threads about where exactly the trust broke down. Maybe it was the equality push. Maybe it was lying to people about biological realities of subspecies and gender. Humanities was a mistake.

>>14598433
I honestly don't know. Lab theory has plenty going for it.
>>
>>14597214
Nah the scariest thing about COVID-19 is that while definitely manmade, it was released 100% on accident. Chances are the Wuhan lab left the cap off of their bat and penguin flavor enhancing virus and surprise suprise we're all here.
Also reminder that operation warp speed was pushed hard by Trump, and liberals were worried about it being made too quickly like the Russian one. Until all of the sudden it's being released by Biden and then it was magically safe for liberals and evil for conservatives.
>>
>>14598876
Not fat. Nice try though.
>>
File: A scamm.jpg (370 KB, 2742x1791)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>14596944
>Is anti-vaxxing a coping mechanism

No, it's simply saying "No" to unnecessary experimental injections of big-pharma shit.
>>
File: Leftists are sheep.jpg (96 KB, 907x1024)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>14597018
meme is relevant

Leftists are and always have been the "weak", the "sheeple", the "brainwashed", the "easily led". That is why they are so susceptible to fast changing political propaganda that creates cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>14599990
>>14599998
>leftists are sheep
>let me post the same images I didn't make a thousand times over to prove it
>>
File: ShitshowJoeandtheHo.jpg (84 KB, 971x726)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>14600073
>Uses same old alphabet that didn't invent himself, on a computer that didn't make himself, to repeat same old tired weak shit that didn't come up with himself.
>>
>>14599367
>where exactly the trust broke down.
I blame the marketing departments who misused science. Have you ever met marketers? They are a strange breed. They live in world where to be good at their jobs they have to believe their own bullshit. Yet many are high functioning and intelligent people in their own right. Its a bit like how some flat earthers can be highly skilled and have no problem living in a modern technological society.
>>
There are some legitimate concerns about the COVID vaccine and the mandates surrounding it, but the continuing storm of retarded schizo shit serves only to discredit these valid concerns.
>>
>>14600425
found the mouthbreather. all the vaccines are safe and effective. the constant ads tell me what to believe. anything against this narrative is schizo shit.

all good citizens will take as many boosters as the government deems necessary. your dissension is evidence of being a science denier.

repeat after me: SAFE AND EFFECTIVE.
>>
>>14600432
okay, the vaccines have proven safe and effective.
voters know this, and will vote a Democrat Senate in November. Enjoy your January 2024 Supreme Court homie
>>
>>14596944
We just don't see a reason to fear this specific disease.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.