[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are there no big earth shattering revelations and discoveries that turn everything we know on its head like the heliocentric model or newton's law of gravity or germ theory in our era? Do we basically know all there is to know about the world?

If there actually are such things going on in our era then what are the cutting edge theories of today?
>>
>>14104910

U = E / S
>>
>>14104910
The next great mental shift will be understanding humans can and will go extinct.

This is a hard concept to understand and believe without killing yourself, but it's possible. Everything is possible.
>>
>>14104914
>U = E / S
>universe = energy / entropy
>>14104917
>The next great mental shift will be understanding humans can and will go extinct.

>This is a hard concept to understand and believe without killing yourself, but it's possible. >Everything is possible.

The schizo zeitgeist is real.
>>
>>14104921

UNIVERSE = ENERGYMATTER / SPACETIME

Entropy is fake. Universe is 1) not a closed system, 2) not an absolute number system.

I.e. entropy only applies to absolute heat systems which are only emergent from fundamental reality.

Optimum shit obviously
>>
File: 1628326958821.gif (316 KB, 500x290)
316 KB
316 KB GIF
>>
>>14104934

That egocentric model is essentially the Standard Model of Paricle physics - it's that retarded. That's what happens when you let cattle decided canonical science.
>>
>>14104939

I meant geocentric... it autocorrected... but also, yeah.
>>
>>14104934

The Optimum model is left, the cow and sheep model is right. The difference is that pronounced in particle physics.

Fyi, the word that elite such as myself use is "elegant"... not sure if you all know that.
>>
File: 1642130402966.png (313 KB, 855x824)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>14104910
>Why are there no big earth shattering revelations and discoveries that turn everything we know on its head
picrel
>>
Gary comes here drunk and talks mad shit that is also absolute brutal facts. SHHHH SHHHH SHHHHHHHHH

Don't tell anyone
>>
This is a real video with a fake laser added into it.
>>
>>14104949

Bro imagine if that was real. Gd bless you Took.
>>
>>14104910
Next shift is consciousness forcing us to abandon meteorism. Then we'll solve all sorts of stuff like origin of the universe and meaning of life.
>>
>>14104965
>meteorism
materialism
>>
>>14104974
We have already moved past materialism. Materialism gave us useful common definitions that allow for productive information exchange. I see no reason to abandon them. Materialism works much better as a linguistic foundation than the older interpreting your favorite sage model.
>>
>>14104910
The only breakthrough I need is to be able to recreate Mina and have sex with her at will
>>
>>14104949
What is this?
>>
Because our understanding of the universe at its lowest observable level (quantum mechanics) remains very vague and speculative, and arguably eluding measurement. The universe may as well just be undecipherable.
>>
>>14104910
Mostly.

The big unknowns are what the QM mean. Whether the QM represents reality or whether its just math/fake/gay.
>>
>Why are there no big earth shattering revelations and discoveries that turn everything we know on its head like the heliocentric model or newton's law of gravity or germ theory in our era?
>he post this statement using technology that's capable of forwarding information to billions of people at the same time in multiple languages throughout the planet in a matter of seconds
>>
>>14107387
>the technology to send information to billions of people in seconds was discovered or revealed
>>
>>14104934
If motion is relative, aren't both of these correct desu?
>>
>>14104942
they are both the same model shown with respect to different rest frames. your attempt to differentiate them is an emotional reaction to the high school popsci fan tier aristotle vs galileo debate which was settled at trial like 500 years ago. galileo lost.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (68 KB, 1200x667)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>14104910
Just carved a heart out of a pig and put it in a human.

Just found a fifth fundamental force

Just flew instruments in the sun and mine asteroids

Just scattered molecules nearing the size of typical viruses, as in virus gun

Just imaged a black hole and modeled quantum extremal surfaces, using that black hole to emit electrons out of empty space

I would say we are very near to generating galaxies of our own, that we created out of nothing, and traveling there and fighting wars over there.
>>
>>14104914
>>14104933
>U = E / S
>Universe = Energymatter / Spacetime
Uhhhh, elaborate?
>>
>>14109081
>Just found a fifth fundamental force
with the exception of this those are just technological advancements not new discoveries
>>
>>14104910
2001 ruined our future.
>>
>>14107757
Yes, in your lifetime they learned how to apply the discoveries of packet switching networking and layered communication, well after the heliocentric model, newton's laws, or germ theory as OP implied.
>>
>>14104910
Its because a lot of the big unanswered questions in physics are still pretty elusive
>>
>>14109214
Physics will never get "solved". They'll keep stumbling upon errors in their models and keep inventing new concepts to fill the holes for eternity.
>>
>>14104910
There haven't been any major mainstream developments recently because physics got stuck in a local maximum by explaining things with incorrect theories and resolving the discrepancies by making up tunable parameters. One cutting edge theory that could actually turn things upside down if verified is Quantized Inertia, but you can see how petty scientists are about new ideas by the fact that its wikipedia page got deleted when they couldn't refute it.
>>
>>14110300
interesting, any good articles on quantum inertia?
>>
>>14108941
motion is relative to reference frames, and any reference frame is valid *as long as it is not accelerating* and being in orbit is accelerating
>>
>>14110748
So then neither model is correct since the sun would technically be in an orbit with the planets too?
>>
>>14110700
Not sure about specific articles, but the main resource would probably be the main physicist's blog and books https://physicsfromtheedge.blogspot.com/
>>
>>14110300
>i learn physics from wikipedia
Also the evidence is mounting that dark matter seems to be real instead of something like MoND, most notably the bullet cluster galaxies.
>>
>>14110300
>its wikipedia page got deleted
Interdasting. Here's an archived link: https://web.archive.org/web/20210225214741/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantized_inertia
>>
>>14104910
how 2 live as humans properly
>>
File: dS_AO.gif (876 KB, 320x180)
876 KB
876 KB GIF
>>14104933
>entropy only applies to absolute heat systems
Wrong
There is an error of being
To be destroyed is our destiny
>>
>>14104910
im mostly shooting in the dark so dont take me too seriously but I have a hunch it has to do with:
A) the average individual isnt very mentally sound at the moment, many people fall victim to very neurotic behavior and its been going on so long its effectively seen as normal especially in certain countries. STEM workers are clearly no exception, I doubt theres a shortage of scientists that are sound in mind and body and its hard to make progress if thats the case.
B) The means of fiddling with instruments or tools has been tampered with, not saying its a good or bad thing but things like chemicals, tools, machines, and others are safeguarded or put behind massive paywalls. Only exception is things like mathematics but its hard to work on cutting edge things when cutting edge requires a lot of setup the average person or even student can easily acquire.
C) This is the biggest assumption Im making so feel free to shoot me down but its based on what I hear from being a wallflower here mainly and what I notice, I don't have proficiency enough to tell myself with most subjects. I hypothesize that a significant portion of the modern work we have is probably founded on some degree of bullshit. We know its true for modern liberal arts and soft sciences, I dont think its too much of a stretch to imagine some sciences have been doing this especially with the ivory towers and destruction of how experimentation and everything is supposed to go and replaced with nonsense paperwork, corruption, and systems that not only never worked to begin with but are horribly out of date.
>>
>>14111469
Wikipedia represents the consensus of mainstream academia, so incidents like that show you what shit state it's in.
Also the bullet cluster is apparently a problem for dark matter, as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qJptwikRc . I don't know if QI is right, but it does supposedly handling the bullet cluster's gravitational lensing just fine.
>>
>>14111784
>I hypothesize that a significant portion of the modern work we have is probably founded on some degree of bullshit.
It basically is, yes. Quantum Mechanics is difficult to understand, conceptually. In fact, it's so difficult that it took a vast array of the brightest minds in the field to nail it down the first time. Then they all died without passing the knowledge on properly so now the situation that we have is that people who call themselves physicists treat it as a physical reality instead of a mathematical model because it "works" and they lack the accompanying natural philosophy of science to understand how wrong they are. Rather than "the world is this way, how do we model it?" they ask "the model is this way, so why not the world?"

It's fundamentally broken and has been for about 40-50 years but they've been stuck looking like retards for so long that people are beginning to wise up to it and we might finally be getting back into the swing of things and dispelling with quantum memery.
>>
>>14113055
>physicists treat it as a physical reality instead of a mathematical model
Perhaps there is no physical reality underlying QM? But that would just mean that reality ultimately can't be known.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.