[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dumb wheel design.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Mars rovers keep getting stuck in the super soft and loose dirt. I have a solution that may not be obvious to an engineer or scientist. They keep designing wheels with basically no depth to their tread for some reason, yet if you look at vehicles on earth designed specifically to deal with soft and loose surfaces, the treads are either really deep and designed to dig, or sand paddles which basically swim on top of loose sand.

Also the wheel to rover size ratio looks way too small for anything intended to drive off road.
>>
File: index.jpg (15 KB, 243x207)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3HwvFWlFk
silly NASA, The CLAW technology has been available for decades
>>
File: mars.jpg (134 KB, 990x935)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>
File: Tyco Rebound 1995.jpg (21 KB, 400x300)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>14095674
What they need is some large displacement with large open paddle like tread to scoop the soft dirt without collecting the dirt. Its this collecting of dirt that causes the wheels to basically go bald and stop gaining traction.

To be honest, them nasa scientists could learn a thing or two from good ol fashioned redneck engineering. They should really consider making a monster truck rover with big fat balloon tyres. They keep talking about how they want to make a rover that can driver over any terrain, and they're even considering legged robot designs, which sounds neat, but legs have a lot of mechanical parts, and a single failure would cripple the whole thing, while a if one wheel stops working, its still a wheel that can help support the weight of the rest of the vehicle.

They should base a rover around one of those rc cars with the big wheels that can drive upside down, so then they could add even more equipment, and to use it, they just need to drive into a cliff to flip the vehicle over.
>>
>>14095674
>>14095737

The main issue is that the wheels are too small. Sure, the gravity isn't as strong on mars as on earth, but they still need to spread the weight distribution outwards. Because the wheels are so small, the weight gets focused onto a small area, which causes the small wheels to dig into the ground rather than roll over the surface.
>>
>>14095687
>>14095737
Funny that we both thought of 90's rc car tech. If you combined these two designs, it would actually be unstoppable.
>>
>>14095674
You retards think you know better than NASA, the wheels are not designed to be super functional, they are designed for energy efficiency.
>>
>>14095674
>I have a solution that may not be obvious to an engineer or scientist.
>>
wheels are to small for the weight of the device.
>>
>>14095674
>>sand paddles
those are called grousers.
>> no depth to their tread for some reason
they aren't a panacea and don't do well on rocks. Curiosity's main problem with its wheels is rock damage not slipping
>>
>>14096997
The better solution would just be larger wheels. It seems pretty obvious, but I figure there's a pretty good reason why they couldn't use that. My guess is weight or packaging constraints.
>>
>>14095674
thanks, pedo guy
>>
>>14097031
Ship the wheels seperately and attach them after landing.
>>
>>14096061
Thats stupid. You don't drive a prius when you want to go off road.
>>
>mars rovers keep getting bogged
poomp it
>>
>>14097957
you do if you can only charge your prius via solar panels and there are no refueling stations or power plants on the entire fucking planet.
you also drive it at 1/3rd of a mile per hour.
>>
>>14095674
I HAVE A QUESTION: What cool discoveries did Curiosity and other mars rovers accomplish for the Past 10 Years? I have heard NOTHING on this only stupid Covid news
>>
>>14095737
fat paddles will need a lot more torque or speed. They're designed to dynamically fuck the dirt out of its way. It won't work well for very slow crawling
>>
>>14099985
They found out that you should wear a mask and get the jab
>>
>>14095674
>the treads are either really deep and designed to dig, or sand paddles which basically swim on top of loose sand.
Rednecks always have it right when it comes to tires and trucks. NASA is full of incel geeks and dikes.
>>
>>14099985
>>14100020
based in space
>>
>>14100122
>>14100020
>>14099985
PLEASEEEE :(((( I want to know the truthh i don't knowww
>>
>>14099985
This Aussie dickhead did a series of videos about Opportunity. I'm pretty sure he made some about Curiosity, too, but you can find that yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsMb2RBxq4o
>>
>>14100185
bruv watch a video? I want the bullet points. Are alien on marss??
>>
>>14100178
Literally nothing. It's like a child playing with a remote control car on a beach and they get bored almost instantly, long before the batteries run out.

It's the same with NASA. All of the best bits were shown off on day one and engineers and scientists couldn't be more bored to death if they tried. "wow, colors, sounds. A shitty drone. Dust.". It's exactly Curiosity all over again. They spend their days thinking up tangible plants to get themselves under the engine of a rocket launch. It's a fucking miracle they aren't doing it in the dozens.

It's mundane nothing from here on out. Women and the other diversity hires can help write the whatever generic papers to affirm and bolster their scientistness.

It's dust. Wgaf
>>
File: ScrewMars.jpg (30 KB, 448x336)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>14095674
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw-propelled_vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NsmZcLAdM
>>
>>14100419
>what is drivetrain efficiency
>>
We should start a campaign to send rc buggies to mars to host the first ever racing on mars.

They don't have to be very big, just a couple of high quality professional grade racing cars off the shelf, which would only run you a couple hundred bucks each, with mounted cameras and stuff, and make the lander with a massive solar array and have it act as a fuel station for the buggies to park on and little arms reach out and plug into charging sockets on the cars, as well as being the main relay unit for the interplanetary control signals.
>>
>>14100829
>We should start a campaign to send rc buggies to mars to host the first ever racing on mars.

I want to see unmanned F1 racing. Why is a lot of our technology capped to the limits of a meatbag?

>high quality professional grade racing cars off the shelf
>flips upside down on the first turn blocks your path
>>
>>14100829
Today the one-way light time to Mars is almost 19 minutes. You'd either need some kind of AI controlling the buggies or be willing to accept blind driving.
>>
>>14095699
it's Canadian island for sure.
>>
>>14100829
that's retarded. As Anon said>>14102585
light travel time is long. BUT, light travel time to the Moon is 1 second, which is merely annoying.
>> just a couple of high quality professional grade racing cars off the shelf, which would only run you a couple hundred bucks each
mars get fucking cold. The electronics will have their solder joints broken by the cold. So no, you can't just use off the shelf crap.
>>
>>14096061
>energy efficiency
>get stuck
>power down
>max efficiency
NASA logic

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.