[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gyvjJoe.png (635 KB, 888x888)
635 KB
635 KB PNG
Personality classifications in general are pretty stupid, but MBTI is so unscientific to the point that it's basically astrology. Why do so many people still take MBTI seriously?

This video analyses MBTI and concludes that it's basically astrology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONnY6mdncw
>>
>implying astrology isn't true
>>
>>13872452
This is literally a science board.
>>
>>13872432
The DEBOONKER has logged on
>>
>>13872432
My mom used to get paid to administer MBTI tests for companies and called it "the easiest bullshit job" of her life.
>Why do so many people still take MBTI seriously?
BC companies want objective metrics to gauge something as amorphous as "personality." Lacking anything good they turn to something not so great.
>>
>>13872463
but the Big 5 exists, which *does* actually have some level of predictive power.

and isn't hiring based on personality tests literally illegal?
>>
>>13872432
Yes, and so are psychiatric diagnoses, but people get slapped with those all the time because people disagree with one another on the internet and IRL. What's your point here?
>>
>>13872463
>objective metrics
It's literally a subjective self-reporting test
>>
>>13872467
>and isn't hiring based on personality tests literally illegal?
Not in the USA
>but the Big 5 exists, which *does* actually have some level of predictive power.
The issue with all of these tests is they're fairly dependent on an individual's mood when the test is administered. Additionally, the questions are pretty easy to "clock" in to what they're actually indicating, meaning anyone with half a brain can game them. Customer Service Job? Of course I don't get angry easily. Janitorial Job? I like things to be tidy. Etc.
Nearly impossible to eliminate people from answering in a way which suits them.
>>
>>13872484
That's pretty funny. So basically it's a way for companies to weed out retards who don't realize what their job entails.
>>
>>13872488
Or those that would happen to be too honest.
>>
>>13872474
OP should make a video about psychiatric diagnoses.
>>
>>13872432
Decent video. Kinda boring but you had a good case.
>>
>>13872432
You sound like a pseud
>>
>>13872432
I remember you shilling your simulation theory video here a while back.

Glad to see you're still making stuff.
>>
>the comparing mbti to astrology meme again
Get new content
>>
>>13872569
the memes that persist are profoundly true
>>
>>13872454
Astrology is literally a foundational science. Ask the Egyptians and the Mayans.
>>
>>13872432
This video is actually pretty solid. Good editing.
>>
>>13872630
Yeah the people that created the Copernican Revolution were literally all astrologers (Galileo, Copernicus, etc)
>>
>>13872474
At least astrology and MBTI don't get used to justify giving people chemical lobotomies.
>>
Based video and good take
>>
>>13872432
>posting a debunking video on the antivax pseudo/sci/ence board
>>
It may be mostly BS but it doesn't measure nothing: see the dramatically differing distributions of MBTI types between 4chan and the general population.
>>
>>13872822
It relies on self-reporting, so obviously people on 4chan have different opinions about themselves compared to the general population's opinions about themselves.

That doesn't imply it measures anything about personality (which is what it claims to do).
>>
this video is actually retarded. it just rejects all psychology it doesn't like as "not concrete science
>>
>>13873020
So people should just tacitly accept all psychology?
>>
>>13872641
Preach, brother.
>>
>>13873047
of course not. like everything else scientific and unscientific it is full of charlatans. but the "mbti useless but big five useful" take is really dumb. which the video maker probably realizes because he then launches into some cope about "well what is personality really anyway"
>>
>>13872432
It's measuring your actual response to certain things. Being analytical vs like, hanging mf'ing dreamcatchers round your room. Unlike astrology it's asking you questions directly related to what it is trying to gauge.

I have always tested I_TP. I would never be a planner, extrovert, or heart over head person.

The cards it spits out might be inaccurate but at least it can give you three solid types of behavior. The S/N is a bit ethereal.
>>
>>13873097
OP kinda shit on big five in his video. All these personality type systems are retarded.
>>
File: 1505926548465.jpg (48 KB, 530x665)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>13872432
>7:34-7:42
>there are more neural connections in your brain than there are subatomic particles in the universe
Wat?
Are the components of a neural connection not themselves comprised of subatomic particles?
>>
>>13873200
I have no idea if that's true or not but obviously a single neuron can be a part of many connections
>>
>>13872606
>something anyone with half a neuron can come up with is true
You don't say
>>
>>13873219
I've heard this stat before. it's true but the way he phrased it is misleading

the guy who made this video is probably talking about the total amount of possible connections between neurons, which is an enormous number.
>>
>>13872432
>assessing personality by asking a hundred fucking questions directly about your personality is the same as assessing personality by the date you were born on
I’m not a fan of myers brighs but you pretentious faggots are so disingenuous it’s embarrassing. Yeah it’s stupid how obsessed women and internet normies are with it but you just hate it because it’s popular.
>>
>>13872484
When hiring what mbti do they look for.
>>
>>13873420
Watch the video. It's a hack premise but you're oversimplifying the argument and getting pissy / self righteous with the assumption that " they just hate it because its popular"

The similarity with astrology is due to the forer effect, which is absolutely a factor in what MAKES mbti so popular.
>>
>>13872432
it basically is yes

but if you test you will find that you are INTP
>>
>>13872432
Cringe video
>MBTI is bullshit, it's just astrology
>Take it with a grain of salt
Jesus what cop out. Typical INTP pseud video, scathing but non-committal.
>>
>>13872457
>anti-truth defense mechanism engaged
>>
>>13872432
>>13872452
>>13872454
Reminder, Psychology is a psudoscience.
>>
>>13872432
Pseudoscience sure, but it's a nifty shorthand for people to self-describe how they perceive themselves. It has its practical use.
>>
>>13872432
>MBTI is basically astrology

>Literally got one of its dimensions right before it was empirically verified by the five factor model
>Other three dimensions have significant correlations with those of the five factor model

Typical INTJ pseud video, committing to a personally held notion while touting it as an objective line of reasoning.
>>
>>13873200
>>13873219
You only use 10% of your brain. If we can tap into those deeper neural connection we may achieve metaphysical ESP
>>
File: LGBTtest.png (40 KB, 474x891)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>13873109
Look at this shit, and tell me that getting *any* of the personality archetypes it assigns me could possibly be accurate based on their system.
>>
>>13872432
MBTI plus that stability add on is literally the same as OCEAN.
>>
>>13875355
Yeah that looks like some bullshit
>>
File: a1321783893_2.jpg (58 KB, 350x350)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>13873200
>there are more things in your brain than the entire expanse of the universe
Please God deliver us
>>
File: 1597971580921.jpg (177 KB, 641x836)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>13872432
MBTI is a false expression of a true theory
>>
>>13872432
Astrology isn't bullshit. 70% of 4chan users are scorpio, that's gotta mean something
>>
>>13872432
Isn't MBTI just statistical trends? I dont recall ever hearing anyone call it "science"
>>
>>13872490
This
>>
File: 1613555559267.jpg (94 KB, 976x850)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>have had 2 long term relationships
>both of them are very good matches for my sign in astrology

how does science explain this?
>>
>LITERALLY ME!! omg i'm like.. SHAKING RN... these vague 3 paragraphs describe my personality COMPLETEY... are you like, literally me?
Why did all MBTI threads get people like this? I thought it was a twatter or trannycord raid at first, the way people were so obsessed about belonging to a certain "personality trait."
>>
File: 1637547175771.jpg (321 KB, 1146x1146)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>13878604
I think we tend to assume we're among friends (people who know what we know and have it in common with us) more than is actually the case, here.

There should be more discussions of breaking things down to first principles.
Things that are axiomatic.
What do we know to be true?

So many threads in which we fling shit instead of trying to reach a true consensus.

It's a double edged sword that everyone's anonymous. Communities like reddit with usernames / upboats become too agreeable, which is detrimental to truth.
The anonymity of this site makes it subject to things like slide threads from interest groups.
But it's more likely just retards being dismissed as trolls instead of people putting forth the effort to explain things.
>>
>>13874383
>Large numbers of people (between 39% and 76% of respondents) obtain different type classifications when retaking the indicator after only five weeks
I would say its pretty useless for self-describing yourself since the results change willy-nilly
>>
>>13879076
You don't think people are capable of giving an objective analysis of how they'd act in a given hypothetical situation that is based on average, and not mood at the time of the test?
>>
File: function circle.png (96 KB, 853x426)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>13876744
This. MBTI butchered Jung's stuff so hard it's not funny.
Basically the only good part left is the dominant/inferior functions, but then they have different definitions too.
>>
>>13872432
I mean the tests were designed to be some kind of universal key to any personality, they were just for assigning women factory jobs during ww2, no?
Its just that 21st century people are narcissists are like things that talk about them, so these kinds of things catch on.
>>
>>13872638
>yfw all of the minds typically adored by atheists as champions of secularism were all occultists
>>
>>13872813
>Watching videos
>for education
lmao at ur life
>>
>>13873200
THIS IS THE POWER OF MATH PEOPLE
FUCKING SCIENCE YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
Stop paying attention to the test and read the functions or you'll never understand MBTI.
I've been posting this over and over since like 2014 in pretty much every board and seems like people just never stop refusing to read.
>>
>>13881874
Yes but don't just read them around the web since most people are misunderstanding them.
The original source is Psychological Types by Jung
>>
>>13872641
But really, INFJs should be lobotomized. Put them out of their misery.
>>
>>13872432
>Why do so many people still take MBTI seriously?
In our day and age people seek an identity. MBTI, fandoms, etc provide that sense of identity
>>
File: 1634349753264.png (1.76 MB, 2518x1173)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>13872432
>unscientific
Don't care. I will never stop noticing how every Sensing type is a NPC, nor how INTPs like yourself are all midwits
>>
>>13884600
god damn it
i tested intj and then intp
>>
>>13875126
>10% brain meme
I am tired of this shit
https://www.brainfacts.org/Thinking-Sensing-and-Behaving/Thinking-and-Awareness/2019/Debunked-The-10-Percent-Brain-Myth-061719
>>
>>13872454
Didn't stop the hundreds of retards frequenting every other thread from posting.
>>
>>13884745
dont do tests read the functions
>>
>>13885283
>https://www.brainfacts.org/Thinking-Sensing-and-Behaving/Thinking-and-Awareness/2019/Debunked-The-10-Percent-Brain-Myth-061719
IT GOT DEBOONKED BEEATCH
>>
>>13885432
You forgot to onions me anon.
>>
>>13876744
>>13880154
based
>>
All I have to say is I fucking love how everyone 4chan thinks they're some kind of INTJ/INTP mega-genius triple-9er.
>>
>>13872432

Can anyone detect what cognitive functions based on words they put in the internet?

Some anon said that if someone took something that is personally offending to them, like a snowflake is a big sign of inferior Te(extroverted thinking), is this true?
>>
>>13887147

I think most 4channers are really mostly INTP, ISTP, ENTP with somewhat significant presence of INTJ, ENTJ, ISTJ, INFP, ISFP and ENFP

There are almost no ESFJ or ESFP here that's for sure.
>>
>>13872432
yes, fake and pseudogay
>>
>>13885432
How can it be debunked if it is true? Therefore it wasn't. Therefore it is true.
>>
File: 1636365605220.png (660 KB, 1106x1012)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>>13872432
>DUDE IT'S LIKE ASTROLOGY LOL I'M SO SMART AND ORIGINAL
I knew this comparison was going to be made before I opened the thread. Where do you faggots get these identical shitty opinions to regurgitate? Plebbit?
Fuck you. Neck yourself. I'm sick of midwit retards like you that regurgitate the same NPC opinions as every other pseud and think it's profound. Nobody would notice if you're gone, so make it happen. Stop polluting the internet and wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>13880197
Magic and science belong together like peanut butter and jelly.
>>
>>13887147
Had they applied themselves, some of them probably would be.
>>
>>13872432
Im currently watching it. While I agree the forer effect is real, I, for instance, dont have to agree with the generalization presented in the video at 5:25. I can find 2 instances of events in my life that are reflected in the example. However, Im also capable of making my own generalizations about my life, and Im also able to graduate how closely those two generalizations actually are. Hence Im making a conclustion: this particular generalization doesnt really sit with me too well, as I have a tendency to be a social recluse.

My point is, while MBTI is a pseudo-science, if you look at it with enough of honesty it will actually start to make some good points. Obviously you cannot be a brainlet to use it, also trying to treat it as hard science is retarded
>>
>>13872432
Four dichotomies:

Introvert/Extravert
Sensor/Intuitive
Feeler/Thinker
Perception/Judging

It just classify people according to those four dichotomies. That's science. But please don't confuse what people do with that tool and what that tool really is.
>>
>>13889618
>It just classify people according to those four dichotomies.
>That's science.
>There's no need to scientifically establish the validity of the categories
>There's no need to scientifically establish the validity of the categorization procedure
>>
>>13889631
Do you think that anyone of these dichotomies means nothing?
>>
>>13889637
>b-b-but these dichotomies seem subjectively meaningful to me!!
That's literally not science, retard.
>>
>>13889640
There are people that are taller than 180cm, and those who aren't. That's a scientific classification. The main issue is if I deduce incorrect conclusion from that classification. It's the same for the four dichotomies found by Jung.
>>
>>13889646
>There are people that are taller than 180cm, and those who aren't. That's a scientific classification.
No, it isn't, you fucking moron.
>>
>>13889651
Ok, you absolutely don't know what is science.
>>
>>13889657
What makes a completely arbitrary classification "scientific", you drooling pseud? Your example isn't even a valid analogy. Not only is it not a scientific category -- it's not even a pseudoscientific category. Trying to attribute establish its scientific status is, ironically, a category error.
>>
>>13889666
Baka.
>>
>>13889668
Just admit it: you're too much of a midwit pseud to figure out the difference between objective categories and scientific categories.
>>
>>13889670
Baka.
>>
It's corresponds greatly with the accepted OCEAN personality theory.

Openness maps to N-S
Conscientiousness maps to J-P
Extraversion maps to E-I
Agreebleness maps to F-T
Neuroticism can be added to complete it.

I like both.
>>
>>13889676
I accept your concession. For a category to be scientifically valid, there needs to be a empirically demonstrable relationships between the properties it specifies, and the phenomena being studied.
>>
File: 1636176104434.jpg (226 KB, 563x651)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>13872569
what about blood types?
how about Chinese animals instead?
could we do something on eye color next?
maybe hair..
Oh I know, your favorite color of work shirt!

Or MRI monkey brain reaction testing
>>
>>13872432
Comparing it to astrology is an insult to astrology. The comparison you seek is horoscopes. The problem with MBTI is the problem that everyone knows but it underplays, the fact that its only taking a VERY shaky snapshot of yourself at the time and its automatically assuming you're in a healthy mindset and not affected by external factors. It doesnt matter if you're tested by the most astute examiner its hard to shake this due to the nature of people in general especially if the person wants to know more about themselves they likely dont know how to understand their emotions to begin with. Adding to this, the problem is that these tests always understand personality from the angle of what is is currently rather than what it really is which is fluid. Its good at identifying a VERY rough outline of your basic parameters but if you made improvements or need to make improvements it's accuracy goes to nothing immediately and the opposite of helpful. For example I and many other people here get results as INTP, how valid that is is debatable but the problem is that when you get that result it's likely to tell you how scatterbrained you are and on some sites will outright claim it as a feature of who you are. It's making you identify with these traits instead of understanding them properly so you can have better methods of approaching the world. tldr its flaw is taking the approach of, "this is who you are man like dude isnt htat cool?" instead of " This is how you see the world, this is how it conflicts or harmonizes with the external world and how you can change your thinking angles to make understand easier". But yeah its pseudoscience, I think it's getting popular because of single family households.
>>
>>13889722
If you don't think human behavior is an empirical observation then you discard psychology, sociology, etc.
>>
>>13890017
Your reply is completely incongruent with that post. Did you forget to take your meds once again?
>>
>>13872490
Which is ideal when looking for, say, a salesman or lawyer
>>
>>13878240
scientifically speaking it's because you're a faggot
>>
>>13890025
This thread is about the MBTI. Consider the context and try again
>>
>>13889722
>there needs to be a empirically demonstrable relationships between the properties
there is an empirically demonstrable relationship between certain behaviors (e.g spending all day in your room, spending all day at a party) and belonging to a member of these medically considered personality traits (introvert, extrovert)

this is through the psychology and psychiatry communities attempting to reach a consensus by sharing case studies in medical journals amongst each other

your stance that rules of psychology are pseudoscience due to subjectivity is actively ignoring trends that doctors are recording

the attempt to make generalizations in behavioral trait probability is under peer scrutiny

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.