[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1587552989615.jpg (362 KB, 880x654)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
Professionals edition

Welcome to the STEM Career General!
This thread exists to answer questions regarding careers in STEM.

>the ins and outs of academic career progression
>how to penetrate industry from academia
>anything else in relation to STEM employment or advancement within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

General information:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to expand the text so it discusses all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No one has answered your question? Consider posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of all the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://boards.fireden.net/sci/search/subject/career%20general/

NOTE: Any useful resources relayed in this thread will be included in future /scg/ threads.
>>
File: file.png (2 KB, 443x60)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
Don't just look at me, hire me!
>>
Reading about the quaint problems of high achievers and elite has made me hate this site even more. Yes, smart and succesful people make me seethe with jealousy like nothing else.

I hope a solar flare wipes all technology out and makes us equal
>>
I feel I have zero chances of getting into grad school
How much do diversity points count?
>>
>>13870912
Advice on a CompSci and EE PhD?

I'm a first year student at a Community College but my ultimate goal is a PhD.

What jobs can I get with a PhD and am I set for life if I have a PhD?

Also, what things should I change in my study habits so I am better prepared for a PhD program.
>>
I don't feel confident in the schools I applied to
I don't feel confident I'll get in
I don't feel confident in anything
>>
File: 1612294299381.png (1013 KB, 1080x907)
1013 KB
1013 KB PNG
>>13870948
That's fine.
>>
which engineering discipline is the most fruitful to study today?
>>
>>13870997
Software. Otherwise anything that'll get you into management.
More specific than that depends heavily on your area/where you want to move to.
>>
>>13871001
How do I get into management fastest
>>
>>13871003
Get recruited by a consulting firm in your last year -> use experience to then join workforce in manager role
>>
>>13871001
would you say there's a big difference between more choosing either of the more traditional discplines like civil, mechanical, electrical.
>>
>>13871015
There is a difference but again it depends on you. If you want to work for the govt. on infrastructure projects because you're somewhere that happens; more than anything else then it'd make more sense to do civil. If you live somewhere where the main electrical roles are for mining industries and you don't like mining you wouldn't want to go that route.
>>
>>13871021
North of England is the area, not a whole lot going on. I'm thinking either civil engineering or computer science to be honest, mechanical seems too general.
>>
File: broken wojak.png (405 KB, 615x689)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>13870912
supposed to graduate in less than a month
have no motivation to do any school work
have already applied to jobs and have been shot down for being a white guy
where does it go form here, frens?
>>
>>13871095
>it's because I'm white
This is no different than people saying "it's because I'm a minority".
It's because your cv sucks, fix it.
>>
I just graduate with a BSc math & physics double major. I'm going to teach myself coding, what languages should I consider and what ones should I avoid (avoid due to being useless or oversaturated skill, not due to difficulty, I don't mind learn C++ if it would be useful).
>>
>>13871095
Just say you're Jewish or part "insert minority"
>>
>>13871114
a cv is more for an academic institution/graduate work
I'm talking about regular industry
>>13871126
That was my plan, actually
>>
EE major here in 3rd year heading to 4th year. From what I understand if I'm not headed to grad school there's two outcomes for me. Either I becomes a CAD monkey or a code monkey and I'm not sure which one is worse. What do I do boys?
>>
>>13871125
what type of code monkey do u want to be? front end? back end? android/ios? embedded?
>>
>>13871156
>a cv is more for an academic institution/graduate work
Only for americucks, I'm talking about a resume to you.
>>
File: pepe long nights.jpg (9 KB, 242x242)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>13871243
I didn't chose to be born an americuck, man
>>
>>13870912
How do I get a quant job?
>>
>>13871180
I don't really know what that shit means mang
>>
>>13871256
Do it yourself. Start with crypto
>>
Do you think it is somehow possible to do a phd in a neuroscience research group as a physicist? Another area of interest would be geographical sciences. I would prefer doing my phd in an interdisciplinary team and not jyst plain physics
>>
>>13872162
Infection rate all over the world is bad and worse in Germany than many other places. It is likely that more countries than Austria will make vaccination compulsory. Long COVID alone has the potential to crater Western economies.

CS is suited for remote work but your problem is that most companies will want to train you on their particular setup in face to face meetings. This is likely the case if you have been in CS for years but more so if you are entering from academia or transitioning from Physics. Doing both will most likely want them to see you face to face in the same room.

BTW I did Physics and transitioned to software development. That is not the problem. What is a problem is that the software industry is a cowboy arena where people are considered too old by age 35. By that you will have to transition to management or go elsewhere.

Also "The Great Resignation" is making things unclear. Middle management has for decades been the breeding ground for the psychopaths, they are attracted to such roles just like paedophiles are attracted to kindergartens. And now people (or "the peasants") have decided work under poor management was simply not worth the hassle, and are resigning, en masse. Companies have been slow to do anything, top management should have reorganised the middle management layer with an axe. I used to work in a company where top management belatedly realised that they had promoted a lot of filth into middle management positions, but were too much of cowards to do much about it. Hopefully things will change soon.
>>
is the Blind app full of indians? I made an account to follow the payscales more closely and internal reviews of companies, but damn theres a lot of indian releated posts on there like uuuuuh.... plus adds for h1b visa stuff.
>>
>>13871095
I read this and I read nothing but COPE. Your excuse for not landing a gig is being white? my dude you are spending too much time on this shit site and are full of shit. Your cv is ass and you fail to see it.
>>
>>13870920
I remember I would send out applications and post my linkdin on their website and I would get views from hiring managers for companies and fuckers would never send me an interview request. Probably an HM just bored and killing time browsing candidates profiles.
>>
>>13871256
We were hiring for a quantum physicist a bit ago and an engineer as well.
>>
>>13872162
>How plausible is it to get a remote job in CS?
They will still initially require you to provide your vaccination status. Faking it is illegal btw.
>>
how do i get a quaint job?
>>
>>13872276
>BTW I did Physics and transitioned to software development. That is not the problem. What is a problem is that the software industry is a cowboy arena where people are considered too old by age 35. By that you will have to transition to management or go elsewhere.
Is this really the case? I know programmers who are far older than that.
>>
>>13873212
>Is this really the case?
That is my experience.
>I know programmers who are far older than that.
Do they have any management roles or are they founders of the company? If not, they are toast in the next "reorganisation".
>>
>>13873326
I think it may be different here in Germany without hire-and-fire.
>>
Hello I was wondering if its a good idea to go to graduate school for computer science (artificial intelligence) when I currently have a bachelor's in electrical and computer engineering. Does anyone have any experience with grad school in any of these disciplines? I am deciding between going for graduate school in AI or just going for a job immediately. I am not too interested in any of the other concentrations in EE/CPE other than VLSI systems, "Software," and computer architecture.
I honestly do not mind just going into the work force and working towards becoming rich and living peacefully and I have jobs lined up for me but it is becoming hard to see how I want this last step in my life to go. This will probably be one of the last major decisions of my life other than potentially opening up a business and I just want some feedback from others. Thanks
>>
>>13873404
Do you want to become a researcher?
>>
>>13873411
I have done a bit of research as an undergrad and enjoyed it. My idea was that if I go to graduate school then I could work while also doing some independent research on the side.
>>
I'm about a year or so from graduating (PhD, physics) and holy fuck am I jaded. Not about academia necessarily, I already knew going in that I wouldn't go down the academia route (although everything I experienced just helped to reinforce that). But about research itself, the "scientific process", the waste of money that goes into pointless projects and grants, the dumb politics internally and between groups (including industry + university collabs), and the total disconnect between the way academia and industry view research. Don't get me wrong, research in the private sector has serious issues too, but at least they have *some* sort of incentive to produce real, tangible results. Academics just fucking write papers that no one understands with zero consequences on any aspect of reality.
I think I'll try to get a research job at a company when I graduate and see what it's like, but honestly at this point I can understand why STEM PhDs moving to be quants on Wall Street is a thing. This whole "science" thing just becomes more and more bullshit the deeper you dive into it.
>>
>>13873557
That is similar to my experiences. Academia is rotting from the core.
You might want to try a postdoc at a national lab, things are a bit more grounded there.
>>
>>13870912
Is getting into control systems worth it?
>>
Which EECS fields are bugmen repellent?
>>
>>13873653
FPGA/RTL
>>
>master's in mech engineering
>job prospects in my country are very bleak
>unlikely I'll be accepted to grad school in a foreign country because of meh grades
So...what the fuck do I do with myself now?
>>
>>13873557
>Don't get me wrong, research in the private sector has serious issues too, but at least they have *some* sort of incentive to produce real, tangible results. Academics just fucking write papers that no one understands with zero consequences on any aspect of reality.
sounds like your issue isn't with "research", it's with physics
>>
What is the downside of working for a smaller less-prestigious university? Do they pay a lot less? That is the only factor I would actually care about. Otherwise it seems like a pretty good option.
>>
>>13871173
CAD monkey because you can get licensed as a PE after four years and level up pretty hard. Code monkey you are trading off long term gains for short term ones.
>>
>>13873617
Financially? Yes, I&C is very lucrative.
>>
>>13873653
Power and Power Generation. It’s mostly republican boomers and vets.
>>
What are possible finance jobs I could get into with a CS-related degree?
>>
How dangerous is University of Chicago? I know there is a lot of crime in that city
>>
I'm a college dropout who's most likely going to get a citizenship to Italy. Are there any English speaking universities for undergrads in Europe that I could get into or should I complete a 2 or 4 year degree in my country first?
>>
>Be me, earlier today
>Meet a rando at a coffee shop
>Hit it off talking about something unrelated
>He's in my field, specializes in what I want to research
>He has a doctorate from the graduate program I want to attend nearby
>He used to teach and conduct research there and is in industry locally right now
>Exchange phone numbers
>We're going to have another chat in a week or two
Did I just hit the jackpot or what?
>>
>>13874295
Nice!
>>
>>13873876
You only get PE if you do work concerning public safety. Just don't go into power systems xd
>>
>>13873557
Im realizing this thankfully before I return as an undergraduate. Ive seen so many people voice these issues with academia and I really wanted to consider that route but everything about it stands against the truth and actually helping society. Luckily im into computing, math and physics as well, we can make our way in the world independently at this rate and produce far more valuable research that way and heaven forbid, maybe make something actually useful compared to the nonsense spat out now. Necessity is the mother of invention so I feel like if more true academics did this we’d have something really beautiful born
>>
>>13874295
too good to be true. he is probably a spy for a foreign nation
>>
>>13874575
I'll keep an eye out.
>>
am i allowed to call myself a physicist if I only have a bachelors?
>>
>>13874589
Legally: Yes probably
Practically: No
>>
What is my GPA? My school just gives % out of 100, so like 87/100
>>
>>13874695
87/100 = about a 3.3 gpa
>>
>>13874737
Gotcha, thanks, good to know I won't get in anywhere
>>
>>13874575
>>13874295
more like he wants you boy pussy
>>
>>13874363
>You only get PE if you do work concerning public safety.

breh, every little thing requires a PE stamp if you want to get your permit from the AHJ. you severely underestimate what a PE license means.
>>
>putting together apps
>start doubting what I'm interested in
>start doubting wanting to do physics
>want to do more engineering focused now
>almost going to do a stupid pivot
>>
Anyone ever work at TATA?
>>
>>13874756
curious, what's your profession?
>>
>>13874857
Engineering, was considering attempting a PhD but now I know I have zero hope
>>
>>13873557
>>13874391
Depends on the field. If you're doing medical research there's quite a lot of overlap between academia and industry with a lot of academic labs having at least one spin-off/start-up/industry collaboration.
>>
>>13874589
One of my profs said "the moment you started doing science you can call yourself a scientist".
>>
>>13874695
>87/100
Where are you from? I don't think you're converting it right. I know that an Australian 70% = A in the US system because of their grade inflation. Having a WAM here above 85% is equal to a GPA of 7 on the 7-point scale or 4 on the 4-point.
>>
>>13875103
Canada
>>
>>13874842
>wanted to do engineering
>couldn't get into the postgrad courses because I didn't do an engineering bachelors
>didn't want to do another bachelors
Honestly redtape saved me from making a big mistake there.
>>
>>13873180
>Faking it is illegal btw.
Shut the fuck up anon, what part of my post made you think of posting this. YWNBAW.
>>13872276
Alright, I'll just go for it. Have nothing to lose anyways. Thanks. Also
>long covid will crater economies
Absolutely naive take anon. At this point, none of that is an excuse for these totalitarian measures.

Also: Go fuck yourselves, to all shills who will reply to this in the future.
>>
>>13875110
Depends how much grade inflation you guys have. Best bet is to find the actual results of people converting from your uni to your desired uni.
The admissions offices actually look at how your grade sits compared to others at your school not compared to their own numbers.
>>
>>13875143
Oh my school publishes a chart converting it apparently
Supposedly I have a "4.1"

Is that good? I know literally zero about admissions and am just a musing engineer contemplating grad school
>>
>>13875171
>4.1
On a 4 point scale? Anon I think that's good since you broke the calculator.
>>
>>13875175
>>13875171
Also that's nice of your uni. I checked out my uni's page and it basically says "yeah, nah we don't believe in GPA and won't assist you in converting it."
>>
>>13875111
I had some physics guy come into our ECE grad program thinking it would be easier or something when they hadn't so much as taken 1 of our undergrad courses. They dropped out quick.
>>
>>13875175
It says 4.33 is the highest?
I'm honestly very confused, I'll just put 87/100 on the application and let their boffins figure it out
>>
>>13874887
>>13874857
>>13874756
>>13874737
Nah you guys I have a PhD in ECE and I got a 3.0 undergrad barely. It's all about who you know.
>>
I'm (probably) gonna do a master's in CS in the UK next year as an international. Apart from information that is readily available, is there anything I should know about master's degrees and life in the UK?
Would also appreciate any other advice.
>>
>>13875298
I mean what do would you want to know? I've lived in the UK all my life, but I have no reference point for what would be different for foreigners.
>>
>>13875594
For starters:
-Why do master's courses have a duration of 1 year when it is 2 years almost everywhere else?
-Are the degrees focused more on academics or practical stuff?
-The third term is supposed to be the thesis writing term. But when is the thesis topic actually finalized?
>>
File: 1636085871701.png (163 KB, 512x468)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
Is management the end goal for most engineers? It feels awful knowing that this could be the case
>>
Starting a bachelors in mathematics at 25 years old. I feel behind. Should I expect anything but the eternal struggle ? I already have another bachelors but I really wanna learn mathematics up to Masters and then proceed to a good artificial intelligence PhD programme.
>>
>>13873659
>>13873887
Great. I've decided my life now.
>>
File: 197257525.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
HI everybody!
>>
File: skrikgeek.jpg (28 KB, 629x646)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
i want to work with food technology because i am a food geek
>>
File: 1297509127501.jpg (84 KB, 862x635)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
is mathematics important for getting stem jobs? i.e technology work
>>
>>13874737
How does this work. Do you get ~87% in every test on average?
>>
>>13875651
Let me give you the rundown on people who get an engineering degree and rush into management

>get out of college
>oh no, everything is open ended and not neat little puzzle box problems like in college
>better cop an MBA and become a manager before everyone finds out I’m a shitter

Becoming a principle is the goal of anyone with talent.
>>
>>13874626
>>13875096
just wanted to know for more of a confidence reason than an official one. calling myself a "physics major" got old after a while
>>
>>13874796
I'll be sure to refer him to you for that.
>>
So would it be better to major in math or cs? The remaining classes for a CS major I'd have to take are pic rel. They looked kinda lame and boot-campy so I went with math partly due to that, but mostly cuz going CS would've added a year onto my degree time (due to having to wait 6 months to enter 'pro school' or whatever, plus more required courses in general), but if I went with math I could still take all the CS courses I thought were important. I'm 26 so I'm kind of in a hurry. I've finished my CS minor, A's throughout, and aside from the basic required classes also took databases, machine learning and algorithms and complexity. And a stats class. I feel like I have all the essentials for CS related work but my degree title does not reflect this at the moment. Is it worth switching over?

I began to feel I should take my opportunity in uni to learn pure math deeply else I'd regret it later, and I also wanted to 'expand my brain' as I've heard happens in upper level math and physics. But of course, this was a romanticized notion and with the world falling apart faster every day, I now wish I had just gone with CS to ensure high paid employment. My biggest goal right now is just getting a house ASAP.

People online said it doesn't matter what your degree is in for software dev, but almost all the ads (like 90%+) I see through my university want CS degrees only. I think I'd make a decent developer and I'm working on getting some side projects on Github (many are already complete just need to be cleaned up and posted). I've also considered doing stats, analyst, actuary or finance related work (or landing some comfy gov't job). I'm just getting really worried I may have made a huge mistake in trying to graduate faster and believing what people had told me about not needing a CS degree.
>>
these professional threads always end up being "What should I major in" threads baka, do any of you actually have jobs?
>>
Oh, and as a third option, since I won't graduate until after Summer 2022 anyway, I've thought about just doubling and entering pro-school Fall 2022, banging out the 2-3 terms and calling it. I think I could honestly do it in two terms, CS classes have always been a cakewalk for me.

Just extremely worried and nervous about entering the professional world. My vision of the type of job I'll land is very blurry and uncertain.
>>
>>13874589
You're allowed to do whatever you like, but I think if you've never been paid to do such, i.e as a professional, then you shouldn't identify yourself in such a way.

I think it's kind of a dumb rule, especially with shit like photography, but I don't make the rules.
>>
>>13876757
There isn't a lot to ask about when already employed and on a good career track.
>>
>>13876757
>do any of you actually have jobs?
Sure, I have been working for years.

>>13876937
True, I try to contribute by answering.
>>
I mostly work remote for my current job and I only do a few hours of real work a day. Been wondering if I could get away with getting another job without my current employer knowing about it. Having two $100k salaries would be sick
>>
>>13877022
What do you do? I'm interested in non-dev remote work, not sure how sustainable that is though post-pandemic. I'm this retard:
>>13876761
>>13876750
>>
>>13876757
Plenty of us do. I’d rather post advice here than on LinkedIn because I can be brutally honest with you shitters instead of having to church up everything I say with pozzed corpo-speak.
>>
>>13877031
Mechanical Engineer. Mostly MEP design.
>>
>>13870932
In my opinion, if you want a PhD you should do so only after achieving financial success and independence. Academia sounds like absolute dogshit when you're livelihood depends on it, and there's interesting work and research in industry.
>>
>>13873326
So, what, they just fire you for being old?
>>
How is delft for grad?
>>
>>13877062
Essentially yes. Of course they call it a reorganisation, just to make it legal.

The writing on the wall was pretty legible. Management had annoyed the main 3 customers and to their ever lasting astonishment, the contract stream dried up. We had a few that we were finishing but insane estimates meant we were already past the delivery date and not finished. Management assembled us all to inform us that programmers in India were a lot cheaper than we were. It this point I should have started working on my CV but I (and my fellow "peasants") wanted instead to save the company. Pay was poor but colleagues were good to work with.

Upper management is noticing problems and poo always rains downwards. So management turns to tried and trusted measures in times of crisis: mass firings. And I went down that drain. To make it all legal the explanation was that our positions were superfluous to the need (who was going to complete the project? we wondered) so off we go. So I looked closely at who went and who stayed. Age and higher degrees seemed to be part of it. Masters and PhD went, Bachelor degrees remained - they were cheaper.
>>
>>13877220
Did you continue working in the industry, and if so, did you have trouble finding a job afterward?

I'm graduating with a math degree soon hoping to work as a dev (since it's high paying and relatively low barrier to entry), but I'll be freshly turned 27 by that time, which narrows my window before ageism hits. I'm also considering finance and just about anything else with good pay and security, though. I feel being a dev is a good foot in the door for all kinds of industries
>>
>>13873735
Actually, they're not too bad. A lot of these smaller technical universities aren't actually *that* bad, they're just focused on a specific industry in their town/city. Basically they're less interested in research and more interested in training and cross collaboration with the town industry.

My small city has this with defense, the university is kind of a nothing university, but is still semi respected because it has such close ties with defense contractors and DoD civilians in the area if that makes sense. It basically was established just to train people in the area for jobs in defense.

As long as the university is something like that, you'll be fine, just make sure you're collaborating with that industry/company.
>>
>>13877247
>Did you continue working in the industry, and if so, did you have trouble finding a job afterward?
I tried finding a similar job in the software industry but couldn't get a job. That was what really hammered in that I was too old, though nobody said it out loud. So I dropped that line of work and pivoted, and got a new job. These days I am fairly well established and will not have a problem changing employer, and age is not a problem here.
>>
>>13877330
What did you pivot to, out of curiosity? Sorry about your experience anon.
>>
>>13875645
>-Why do master's courses have a duration of 1 year when it is 2 years almost everywhere else?
Idk, but that's how it is. Gets it done quicker. That's a good thing.

>-The third term is supposed to be the thesis writing term. But when is the thesis topic actually finalized?
>-Are the degrees focused more on academics or practical stuff?
Depends on what course you're doing and at which university. You can't expect a sweeping answer for an entire country.
>>
>>13877332
I cannot tell, that would be sufficient to doxx me.
>>
>>13877338
You can't even tell me the industry in general? Is it related to software at all, or did your skills at least help you land the job?
>>
Okay, I feel like I have a completely open career ahead of me. Because of this, I don't know what to do.

Soon I'll be graduating with a masters in Applied Math from a tier 1 school. This is all while working as a civilian for the DoD (who paid for my masters). I'm highly praised at my work and my work has actually had impact on major systems. I got a metric shit ton of praise and I'm track to essentially take over my branch in the future.

The problem is, I fucking hate working for the DoD. The absolute retarded backwards bureaucracy really is killing me and I am only staying to finish my masters. I also can't work from home completely or be remote because I work with classified information.

I don't know what to do after I have my masters. I'd like to just do similar work to what I do now, just not for the DoD and with less sensitive information so I could be remote, but I just don't think I'd get as interesting work. I'd probably end up just being a data scientist creating the perfect marketing model to sell middle age women Purina dog food which is just depressing.

Is it worth sticking with the DoD because the work is interesting even if the bureaucracy is actually killing my soul?
>>
>>13877373
It is a small industry, close to a niche, and having seen the deductive powers on 4ch I have to be cautious. What I can say is that my skills did help.
Everything you learn you will find useful later, even obscure things.
>>
>>13877374
What was your undergrad in? I'm a math major cs minor thinking about going into defense or even NSA to collect the nice benefits and interesting work.

Can you give some examples of how obstructive the bureaucracy is?

>>13877403
Thanks anon
>>
File: 1610711953711.png (18 KB, 300x250)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
I'm a junior in college majoring in Math and Physics and am going to minor in either Stats or CS. I'm starting to apply for internships, mostly in SWE, and want to know what I can expect with the job market. My only experience with coding is two programming courses and a couple of minor outside projects but I did very well in all of those things
>>
>>13876757
I don't. Do any of you have jobs that you'd like to talk about?
>>
How hard is it to get a job with the banks with a physics degree?
>>
>>13877911
I'm >>13877443 and I turned down a final round interview with an Investment Bank
>>
>>13877950
Why?
>>
>>13877950
Yeah, why? I'd imagine that'd have superior compensation over SWE. Any tips on landing those sorta jobs? Math/CS guy myself
>>
>>13877961
>>13877963
For this specific example I just couldn't make the time that they specified.
In general, I just didn't want to, I've been involved a lot in the finance scene on campus and it's totally soulless yuppie-dom, like american psycho but with all of the funny parts removed and replaced with fake enthusiasm and boring people. Comp isn't really better than SWE, certainly much worse than FAANG. The other alumnus I was talking with a lot at the time works at NASA, so needless to say I'm more interested in that as a STEMcel

As for tips on getting those jobs, first go to a school that will either be a target school or have enough alumni who work in these places that they can get you in by nepotism basically. I just had a phone conversation with an alumnus of my school about this internship and then he put me in the final round of interviews for a couple of days later.
They're not kidding when they say that communication is key, what worked for me and what continues to work for me is just being really cocky and not being afraid to just use the interview/networking call as an excuse to talk about yourself or talk with the other person about irrelevant stuff, in my interviews we usually end up talking about books we read or something like that. be sure to say "that's such a great answer" when they answer your questions
>>
>>13877308
>My small city has this with defense, the university is kind of a nothing university, but is still semi respected because it has such close ties with defense contractors and DoD civilians in the area if that makes sense. It basically was established just to train people in the area for jobs in defense.
University of Dayton?
>>
>>13877374
I'm in an extremely similar situation. If I leave I can go remote and probably make more money but the work won't be nearly as cool as being in a DoD laboratory
>>
>>13877334
Ah sorry, I should have been more specific. Outside of Oxbridge, London and Scotland, would you recommend any English unis for a master's in CS? I think Manchester and Warwick are good but I'm also looking for a third option.
>>
>>13875651
I know some old gandalf-level engineers who never left the R&D lab even when they worked for themselves. But if you want to be rich then yeah become a CTO.
>>
>>13877022
Depends entirely on your own ability but I did start a post-grad degree at the same time as doing WFH. With the blessings of my manager but the rest of the company doesn't know.
>>
>>13877045
Or if you can do it through work.
For me MD will be my retirement endgame.
>>
>>13878539
You think they would let an old fart into an MD?
>>
File: average csg poster.png (142 KB, 683x319)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>13878540
>old
>>
>>13877425
My undergrad was in Physics and Math. You should be fine with your background, just try to find a base of organization going through a hiring spree. Hell I'd recommend my base if I didn't want to get doxxed.

I have too many to count. Really what gets depressing is the lack of information tied to the bureaucracy. I swear, for every problem you'll find with the government, there are at least 2 solutions out there (not even bad ideas) that just no one knows about or has no power. It's crazy. You literally will write reports that go NOWHERE or you'll give it to the publishing authority and they'll never release it.

The politics get insane as well, the program offices are petty and everyone only cares about the rice bowls. I tried getting reports and major documents from my branch (warfare analysis) published to DTIC (basically the DoD's digital library and pseudo research journal) and got slapped on the wrist for it. I was told essentially that if our work got published, there's a good chance someone at another base would try to steal it and thus steal funding.

And then there are the systems! Oh my fucking God the systems. The requirements process is actually just fucked. It doesn't reflect operationally realistic scenarios, but you can't do shit about it. Requirements are driven by the warfighter, and if they don't see the operational gap, nothing happens. A lot of times they'll even just gloss over gaps.... It's ugly, and when you tell people the system won't work in an operationally realistic scenario, they simply won't care. If the requirements are being met, that's all that matters. I've seen systems, modern systems in acquisitions, with 20 year old requirements that do not reflect modern capabilities, gaps, or needs. I've seen systems come in with requirements BELOW the performance of the current system in the field (a.k.a. a degraded requirement).

It's just a fucking complete and utter joke.
>>
>>13878546
I can't even imagine how inefficient and retarded my country's defense department if the US DoD is like this.
>>
File: 1621812229084.gif (3.62 MB, 409x606)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB GIF
>>13870948
You'll fit right in.

I a PhD. a must if you want to start your own business in bio? I am on my way to getting an msc but am unsure of whether a PhD is worth it or not.
>>
Ok I got my master's in TCS. What now?
>>
>>13879300
Go work at a FAANG research group and make big bucks
>>
>>13879322
>Go work at a FAANG research group
Is a MS actually enough?
>>
Math grad. I have a serious question here. I desire to continue my education with a MSc but now I can’t live without the money I make professionally as I have many financial obligations. The only university accesible to me right now mainly due to geographic reasons is only top 1000 globally. Is it still worth it getting a degree there?
>>
>>13878546
Got inputs we can use in the FAQ? We are rather thin on maths and defence.

BTW I can confirm the rest you write about insane office politics and resistance to solutions. Have you heard of Shirkey's Principle?
>>
>I’d like to connect soon, to learn more about your work experiences and goals with this position.
What do I even say when my only work experience in this field was as a lab assistant? Can I use undergrad research as well?
>>
Anyone did ICT as primary bachelors ? What are the expectations for a Masters in Mathematics or Computer Science after that ? What about dying research in artificial intelligence ?
>>
>>13879356
Nvm I read that as PhD. Maybe try working as a software engineer or something first. But I've seen extremely smart and accomplished people go straight to FAANG research out of undergrad
>>
>>13879459
I probably have inputs for the FAQ, but I'd need some questions first.

I haven't heard of Shirley's Principle but I'm very well aware Foucault's organizational theory and how it basically describes every large organization or bureaucracy I've ever encountered or interacted with.
>>
>>13879624
>I probably have inputs for the FAQ, but I'd need some questions first.
It is rather open ended, mainly about maths (what is the career path like, is a PhD necessary to get a good job, what employers are interesting etc. ) and defence (benefits and disadvantages)
>I haven't heard of Shirley's Principle but I'm very well aware Foucault's organizational theory and how it basically describes every large organization or bureaucracy I've ever encountered or interacted with.
I see it is often written as the "Shirky Principle"
>The principle in which institutions, or any organization, will try to preserve the problem to which they are supposed to be the solution.

There are quite a few witty principles for rather tragic organisational dysfunctionality.
>>
This might be off-topic but maybe you guys can guide me: is dying a bachelors in ICT in KTH, Sweden, good enough for a masters in CompSci ? How good of a programmer/software engineer are you with just an ICT degree ?
>>
File: 1637527387365.png (731 KB, 993x1024)
731 KB
731 KB PNG
>smart enough to graduate
>too dumb to get a job
>>
>>13880268
Nobody can say except other people from your uni, programme names and contents vary so much. I'm sure your university has some avenues for asking, idealy you'd find older students who tried it.
>>
File: 1623948767622.jpg (76 KB, 1094x1280)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>thesis deadline on 1st dec
i want to kms, why is writing stuff so un-fun?
>>
>>13880268
>good enough for a masters in CompSci ?
That depends where you do your masters. Look up what fields you need to qualify for a masters.
>How good of a programmer/software engineer are you with just an ICT degree ?
How do you define good? Being a senior software engineer is more about problem solving than just programming.
Job prospects should be good in Scandinavia, I got a 65k euros job straight out of a simple bachelors in Information Technology at a shitty school.
>>
>>13880277
>>
Should I go to Med School or pursue a PhD in a STEM field?
( PhD in question will most likely be in physics/engineering, Med School is 6 years )

t.Europoor
>>
>>13880508
My father is a retired GP; his patients called home, often. Many were mentally ill to varying degrees. Sure you know what such a job means?

I did a PhD in Physics, and is happy with my choice.
>>
>>13880508
>be an overworked doctor for niggers and whiny boomers when more immigrants come and all the 40 year olds become 60-70 crippled with health issues, with shit hours and shit compensation for your efforts
>or chill in academia
tough choice
>>
>>13880529
I understand the ridiculous work hours and frequently elderly and sick people I'd have to deal with if I were to choose this path, on the other hand I'd have ample job opportunities as well as research opportunities.
But I like the science behind it not much the people.
Despite not being a von Neumann, I'm sort of good at physics and I've always loved researching and understanding things, therefore a PhD somewhere in that field would be interesting.
Currently I'm just looking for subjective opinions regarding which option given my European residence is better.
>>
>>13880542
From what I've heard modern academia can vary between being dull and being chaotic, would you care to share your experience?
>>
>>13880547
what type of med research are you interested in? sure job opportunities are there but most of them are being a run of the mill general practitioner, which monetarily is not worth it in Europe
>>
File: 1609590407209.png (262 KB, 678x459)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
Has anyone worked at ASML before? I need to ask some questions because I got past the filter stage...
>>
>>13880552
I am >>13880529 (and tired - "is happy"? means "am happy). Where I studied the PI got into the funding body and we were well funded, that helps keeping the dogs at bay.
I also did 2 rounds postdoc in two different national labs. One was a bit too laid back, the other was energetic without being chaotic or political. Of course, when the institute was under MITI money is not too much of a problem.
>>
>>13880694
I haven't but I have used mask aligners in my previous work. ASML defines the cutting edge. You might need a security clearance for this.
What is your question?
>>
>>13880547
>Despite not being a von Neumann

Why not ?
>>
>>13880835
>security
I think I'll be fine on that front, citizen with clean record.

It's an internship engineering position (seems to be test production equipment). Basically I got through the filter stage so that it proved that my resume worked but now they're having me answer some questions beforehand on a document like what you just asked about.

I'm trying to get an idea of what type of skills it's preferred to have coming in so I wanted to ask some general questions like how is it working with mask aligners, anything in particular about using the equipment you that use, troubleshooting them, etc. I just realized I literally don't know what to ask which shows just how inadequately prepared I am oh god
>>
>>13880993
This is high security stuff, the US is having kittens about this since ASML is in the Netherlands and not inside the US. The US would really like to have a detachment of USMC to guard the facility but that cannot happen. So, all the interesting questions will not be answered, sadly.

What is known is that they are interested in optics, metallurgy, EUV sources, photoresist, making masks, and testing of each and every single part of this. All terms are prepended by "advanced"; and that is no exaggeration.

I used a photolith machine the size of a small van and it was a mix between art and science to get it to work. Leading edge stuff tend to be prickly and getting reliability up to an acceptable level is hard. Getting it to work in a lab where all operators have a PhD is hard, getting it to work in a production setting is far harder.
>>
>>13875092
really? Interesting, I had a hunch this would be the case. I may use this as my saving grace because I enjoy computer science and will continue learning it no matter what my career turns into but I'd like to do some nice work with biochemistry.
>>
>>13881013
no joke, litho machines are at least %20 black magic where you just statistically figure out what shit works and what shit doesn't by trial and error.
>>
>>13881013
>interested in optics, metallurgy, EUV sources, photoresist, making masks, and testing of each and every single part of this.
The best part is as an engineering student, I feel like I'm completely out of my field, I know that ASML is looking for a bunch of optics engineers which makes sense but Jesus christ I really feel like I'm out of my league here.
>All terms are prepended by "advanced", and that is no exaggeration.
I'd definitely believe it. Everything I've heard about these guys are black magic material.
>Getting it to work in a lab where all operators have a PhD is hard, getting it to work in a production setting is far harder.
What the fuck?
>I used a photolith machine the size of a small van and it was a mix between art and science to get it to work.
Wow
>>13881128
>you just statistically figure out what shit works and what shit doesn't by trial and error.
Now I really hope I can get in heh, that's literally all I do at my current internship...
>>
>>13878180
Warwick and Manchester both have good reputations for CS. I went to Warwick for undergrad and Manchester for postgrad.

Bristol is good as well, and Bath punches above its weight in CS.
>>
>>13875737
if you already have one not really. Even if you didn't have a bs its a good start. You finish at 29/30 and you're ready to roll man. As far as phd, well consider yourself out of the workforce for a good while then. Best of luck m8.
>>
>>13879569
Say the shit you accomplished. "During X I was able to Y which allowed us to Z" bonus if there's numbers in there. Yes probably.
You didn't give us a single piece of context.
>>
>>13880458
Too late for you but for anyone else this is why you write constantly from day 1. It should be a living document that gets updated weekly/however often you have something new to add.
Ideally just straight up do a thesis by publications and skip the whole meme but that's only feasible for some fields.
>>
How much of a meme is a PhD in electrical engineering?
>>
>>13881869
Engineering PhDs are a huge meme. If you're not working somewhere that's paying you to do it for some reason I don't see why any engineer would do a PhD.
>>
>>13881937
Realistically I started my own business and I'm doing ok financially but I want to level up my research abilities and pivot careers a bit
Just wondering if it's worth tacking on the PhD
>>
>>13875875
the average of all your tests is a 87, corresponding to a 3.3 gpa
>>
>>13881869
>>13881937
>>13881949
I have a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering. It was worth it for me because I got a comfy research career out of it which is what I wanted
>>
Guys, how important is Linkedin? I really dislike the idea of the constant circlejerking/ asslicking on there and I also don't want anyone to be able to look me up and get my whole CV.
>>
>>13882206
Depends heavily on field and industry. Can be useful but I don't many scientists who bother with one. I know a few software folk who were hired off their fairly barebones linkedin.
Just don't join the circlejerk and set your profile to private without an account or whatever.
>>
>>13882206
I've never had one and I think it's pointless
>>
>>13882228
>I don't know*
>>
>>13882188
That's what I want out of it too, gonna keep applying
>>
My GPA is OK but I fucked up two courses in my master's. One of them I retook and did really well, but the shitty grade is still on my transcript. My BSc GPA is meh too. Is it over for me now? Should I abandon hopes of doing a PhD at a good school?
>>
>>13882206
>I also don't want anyone to be able to look me up and get my whole CV

yes you do
>>
>>13882682
I have a similar problem. Two mandatory group projects are calculated in the provisional transcript despite not counting towards the GPA in my major. Should I address this or do I risk giving off the impression that I'm only willing to work if it counts towards the GPA (which is true)? I got a C in both.
>>
>>13881412
Thanks anon!
>>
>>13871173
Really depends what you like staring at more.
IMO they're bith fin, just depends on the project.
>>
I'm considering doing my Master thesis about perovskite solar cells.
Should I do it?
Are they a meme or a technology with actual potential?
>>
>>13883463
>Are they a meme or a technology with actual potential?
You can never know, history has shown promising tech can implode, ref. Gunn diode and high temperature superconductors.
In the end it doesn't matter too much since this tech will remain hot a few more years and this is only a Masters project. Even if this were to implode you will keep your skills, and these an be applied more widely than just for this.
>>
>been stepping through a lengthy interview process with a company for a month now
>finally get my offer letter this morning, sign everything and set up my start date
>two other companies call me up
>no interview at all, both send me offer letters within 10 minutes offering %20 more than the offer I accepted

goddammit
>>
>>13883751
Accepting an offer is not a legally binding thing - however you could use that to negotiate a higher salary , all a offer letter is is their offer to you. It is not a one sided conversation.
>>
>>13883779
I know. The offer I accepted was for a pretty niche field and the ones being thrown at me were for generic HVAC/plumbing shit. I wouldn’t have accepted them anyways, it’s just annoying jumping through hoops and taking less compensation to do something I’m interested in.
>>
>>13883797
>pretty niche field
What? The only jobs in my area for mech/aerospace is the very same HVAC/plumbing shit.
>>
>>13883812
No you misunderstand. The field I’m getting into is niche and not the generic HVAC/plumbing.
>>
>>13883858
>The field I’m getting into is niche
Yeah, and I'm asking what field that is.
>>
>>13883878
Oh. synthetic methane and biofuels.
>>
>>13883885
Ah, cool.
>>
>>13883797
>>13883812
>>13883858
>>13883878
>>13883885
>>13883908
LOL
>>
Gonna write my master's thesis starting in february, what's your pro tips?
I'll be writing it with/for a company and it'll be about TSN shit.
>>
>>13882300
best thing is to find a professor that wants you to be his student in advance, rather than cold applying
>>
>>13882783
>>13882682
nobody cares, you just need to find an advisor
>>
>>13874844
Bump, plis.
>>
>We have carefully read your application, and even though your resume is very impressive, at the moment we have other candidates who are a closer match to the profile we're looking for.

Why do they lie like this to me? Obviously I was rejected because my resume was shit.
>>
>>13884809
email them back and ask for specific feedback on why you weren't selected because its useful to your current job search. you should be doing this for every application.
>>
>>13884814
To be fair to them, this was a role I was punching above my weight for. I'm freshly graduated with not much experience. That's probably why I was rejected.
>>
all i have is a degree in physics. i literally have no other credentials. how fucked am i

>my resume:
>BS in physics
>........
>>
>>13885026
yikes. get into an MS program and get an internship. get connections through professors
>>
>>13885069
what if i can't get into a masters program?
>>
File: 1508011165036.jpg (111 KB, 600x800)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Anyone here an "applications engineer"? What's it like?

I've been doing semiconductor research and development all my life and I'm damn good at it. Now a big chip company wants to hire me as a senior applications engineer. Basically I'll be flying all over the world helping customers use the chips in their products and being paid more money than I know what to do with.

This sounds fucking awesome but "building a relationship with customers" is supposed to be a big part of the job and I'm mildly autistic. Can someone with zero social skills and charisma do a job like this?
>>
>>13885183
never mention that or bring it up
just fake it till you make it

phone them up or meet them in person
explain your product and why its so great
answer any questions you get
negotiate and talk up your own product while shitting on the competitors if they bring up any
>>
>>13885175
>can't get a job
>can't get into MS program
idk i guess you'll have to kill yourself. but seriously stop being such a faggot, you'll be able to get in somewhere
>>
>>13885183
you're trying to sell them chips, not trying to fuck them. just be professional and polite, you don't have to come across like a cool guy
>>
>>13885230
it doesn't look good. my GPA is very low
>>
>>13885241
how low and what school?
>>
>>13885233
>>13885190
I'm not being hired to sell chips.

When a company buys a million dollars of chips to use in their products they get help from the chip manufacturer with any problems they have. I'm being hired for emergency situations. If nobody else can solve a customer's problems and they're getting pissed off I've got to fly over there and solve their shit in person. I can do that, but mending the business relationship by being personable and friendly is also part of the job. I can't be like "see this trace here, that's where you fucked up, read the datasheet next time".
>>
>>13885271
Again, just be polite and professional. It's not hard. You don't have to be a cool guy
>>
File: 1636847799450.jpg (56 KB, 640x640)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
is a PhD worth it in CS? what about a master's degree?
>>
>>13885430
maybe, depends
yes
>>
File: br.jpg (28 KB, 702x478)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Shoot my shot for a job that requires "higher education"? I'm still in uni but I'd like to build a reputable CV before it all comes crashing down. There's no specified degree requirement so I've got my hopes up that I could've stumbled across a unicorn job post.
>>
>>13885026
I would try apply for a post-secondary within mechanical engineering or related fields at a lesser university.
>>
>A- in core course for grad school app
Am I fucked?
>>
>>13885672
link it
>>
>>13885183
>and I'm mildly autistic
No big deal, I should think. You will be working with experienced people, many on the spectrum. Have you heard of Bob Widlar?
>>
File: cr.jpg (58 KB, 680x680)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>13885672
Update: I'm scheduled for an interview. Was it always this easy?
And more importantly can a mf get some tips on how to present himself as best he can without getting spaghetti nerves? This is my second ever job interview, and I feel a bit out of my depth with the nonspecific development workload, even when the ad specified there'd be room for learning.
>>
Leaf here,

I’m currently in my 2nd year (only 1 semester on transcript) of biomedical engineering at a Canadian university. I’m trying to transfer into 1st year engineering at Western, Queen’s, or McMaster.

I was recently able to convince my university to remove an entire semester from my transcript. I’m currently only taking easy elective classes to boost my average.

Need someone to evaluate my chances of transferring and/or help me figure out a strategy for transferring.

Will provide additional details upon request.
>>
>>13885183
Yes. Just read a few books on it. There's basic shit like take a shower and groom yourself to pretty advanced negotiation teks.
Really don't know why aspies don't do this.
>>
>>13886203
Dress one level above the job
>>
CScuck here. I got into FAGMAN junior developer internship for a year, and when I graduate I'll likely get hired full time. Should I pursue a masters? The factors in this decision are work/school/life balance (AKA, I want to lift, have a job, go to school and manage a kid), career opportunities, and do you actually learn from masters? Last question is a bit subjective, but I had a miserable experience in my undergraduate. Students cheat, professor doesn't teach. I had to learn everything myself, and if masters is a repeat of that I don't want one.
GPA is 3.42 by the way, and likely it'll be between 3.3 and 3.5, depending on how hard I want to go to grad school.
>>13871273
>>13871125
Programming is just a means to an end. If you want to an AI waifu, that's a different field with different languages and libraries then making a v8 dildo. As such, you got to be specific. The most I can say is learn Python, consult https://rentry.co/bpg, read documentation and don't read too much books. Reading programming books won't help you, programming will. You can still use books to learn cool stuff (Going through modern c and it's a nice read)
>>
File: file.png (418 KB, 1920x1080)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>>13886203
Cracking the code interview has some good parts (just avoid the technical stuff). In particular
> consult picrel, and come up with stories for each, and practice saying new ones variations of the questions
> come up with questions to ask them
> use STAR method to answer the questions (situation, task, action and result)
> be interested in what the interviewer says
> Smile
>>
>>13882206
I was hesitant too but it's good. I never post on it outside of updating my profile which acts like my resume. I have "open to work" (or something like that) turned off but I still get recruiters asking me to work for them every few weeks. It's how I got my current job and got a +30% pay raise
>>
>>13885246
RPI. 2.3
>>
>>13887975
school is fine but yeah that GPA is fucking awful. your only way to get into a decent MS program is to have connections with a professor, but that seems unlikely for you at this point. you could always apply, no harm in doing that other than paying the applications fees. maybe cold email some professors you want to work with and hope they overlook your GPA.

better route would probably be to get a job now. it wont be a physicist job but just get something in STEM, and then apply from there or use your job to get the connections you need. many STEM companies have ties to universities so try to use those and see if they will even pay for your MS tuition. maybe do an online program
>>
What does theory work in physics consist of? Like if I was a PhD in it what would I be doing?
>>
>>13887189
You in software? Everyone I know who has been recruited off linkedin is in software.
>>
How the hell does one move to management
>>
>>13888201
in my experience it's very easy because if you aren't a retard they will push you into it. it's usually difficult to stay technical unless you're a code/CAD monkey
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Grimm

Anons, is academia really so cutthroat about money? And does bullying like this happen everywhere else too?
>>
>>13888215
I mean, so far I've been running my own business, and want to move out to another company because I'm tired of running everything
How do I make them trust me
>>
>>13871114
Not true simply because society dictates today that you HAVE to hire nogs and women. This means that suddenly all the qualified white males are competing for a fraction of the spots and mostly the highly social or nepotic get to start a career. T. 3 year out mech eng that graduated with honors and no engineering job due to no connections
>>
File: 1622217567084.gif (639 KB, 500x281)
639 KB
639 KB GIF
>>13870912
>apply to university lab job
>hr lady asks for my preferred pronouns
this really is a thing now, huh? i hope it doesn't get too annoying
>>
>>13888220
I don't know about to that extent but I attended the all of school meeting for my school recently for the first time to see what they talk about and one of the things that came up was grant performance. One type of grant they said was doing poorly and they needed more/better submissions this upcoming year to improve. Another type was doing well at 14% acceptance when the average is 9% or something like that. And then there was a third one which they only congratulated people who were the first name on the grant and when someone mentioned in the chat (this was on teams) that there were many in the school who also got that grant but not as investigator A the presenter responded with "yes I know about them" in a somewhat (to my eyes/ears) dismissive way.
Personally I'm in industry and just at the uni to complete my PhD, once I'm done with that I'm going to keep my interactions with academia to contracting them for things. As much as we complain about shit in industry I've found that I prefer almost nothing about academia (the one thing I can think of is having easy access to equipment I wouldn't normally use by just walking to the next building/department).
>>
>>13888220
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Grimm

This is life basicaly. It’s usually not worth it unless you luck into extreme privilege (you won’t). Suicide is the rational option and the sooner you do it the better.
>>
>>13873557
Based, same for me. Even have a chill as fuck adviser and a Nature publication but I will be jumping out of this pit of quicksand ASAP.
>>
>>13888220
http://www.dcscience.net/2014/12/01/publish-and-perish-at-imperial-college-london-the-death-of-stefan-grimm/

A fuller account. Really nasty stuff. Certainly in line with >>13873557 and >>13888586
This is why private research is the best.
>>
>>13888626
In primitive society Stefan Grimm would be a chieftain or at least his right hand man. Ted is right.
>>
>>13888220
Can confirm that University of Oslo is also a slaughterhouse where several conflicts have ended up in court. Since the Norwegian Supreme Court is set with graduates of UiO, they never lose.
>>
>>13888708
Eh I knew academia worshipped money. But I did not know that people could go as far as threatening an established professor with expulsion.
>>
I have an interview coming up that's going to require knowledge of probability. (E.g. Rolling dice, picking cards, etc.)

Anyone know any good resources?
>>
>>13889137
I mean, just go through a basics probabilities textbook, there's probably a good one linked on the wiki.
>>
>>13888201
>How the hell does one move to management
Many companies have a management track, especially those that prefer to recruit managers from their own rank. That is a mixed blessing: while you know who yo promote it also makes it a breeding ground for nepotism and intellectual inbreeding. I know of such companies and I would not work there.

Other companies are willing to pay for a technical employee to take an MBA, and on graduation you will quickly be moved to management with a track towards upper management.
>>
>>13870912
why is physics so hard and why am I so fucking stupid and lazy. I cant even get a 100 on baby kinematics let alone conservation of energy or momentum. Holy fuck Im actually dumb. I have a midterm in 40 minutes and I still dont want to study. I cant autopilot and solve physics problems Im done Im done plz why/
>>
>>13889075
Not only do they threaten, they also carry out their threats. Read this with your favourite translator (translate.google.com works well):
http://english.dnva.no/c51130/artikkel/vis.html?tid=51124
Long story short: renowned professor is kicked out, locks changed on his office doors, and his colleagues take over his carefully curated sample collection to publish without doing much work themselves.

Other times a professor will steamroll a postdoc and claim the patent for himself. The courts fail to grasp the asymmetric power relationship between a PI and a postdoc.
http://www.iptrollet.no/2021/01/hr-2020-2017-tann-for-tann-patent-for.html
>>
I'm graduating with a MSc in Chem Engineering in September. What's the possibility of finding a related job in Australia with nil industry experience?
>>
>>13889649
Meh. All companies breed nepotism. It's the name of the game. Contrarily, I would never work for a company that doesn't recruit from within.

Picking someone outside to lead/manage complex projects is a waste of money and time when you already have employees who understand the project. You don't want to have to waste time bringing someone up to speed and if you're promoting an atmosphere of job hopping by not recruiting from within, you may even lose the manager once they're trained up.

Management jumping is fine for fields where the projects are mostly the same from company to company, but any field that's not like that (defense off the top of my head) you're just asking for a work stoppage.

Anyway, to answer the guys question, if they're not already pushing you into management positions forcibly, then you gotta leave. We are in a boomer exodus at the moment and if your company isn't recognizing that and freaking out and pushing you hard into management, another company will.
>>
I have dreams of going to a tier 1 school for a masters degree. I graduated with my BS a few years ago and have been working in a relevant field. Problem is my undergrad GPA was very mediocre (3.0/4.0). I was just very indecisive and unmotivated for those years but I have a better idea now of what I want to do. How do I improve my chances of getting in? Not sure if my local uni will just let me take courses only for me to apply to another school. I actually attended the same tier 1 school my first year of undergrad but left due to my performance and cost of school.
I'm planning on applying in a year or two and doing a bunch of stuff in the meantime to help me get in.
>>
>>13886474
I went to Mac, why are you transferring? Also idk about queens but Mac, and I think western, both do a general first year and you have to apply to your desired discipline for second year. So if you want biomed and you're having grade troubles, well, may not be advisable. have you considered guelph?
>>
>>13889137
Hogg and Craig. Just Google those authors plus "intro to mathematical statistics free pdf".
>>
>>13889825
Let me elaborate on my situation. I’m currently in biomedical engineering and I want to transfer into general 1st year or at least 1st year at Western, Queen’s, or Mac. I’m not usually a bad student. My grades slipped because I experienced some extreme circumstances in first year. I’ll list my qualifications below:

Demographics:
White male Canadian citizen. First in family to go to university.

High school:
Had a 95+ average all throughout high school (95 in last year). Won several subject achievement awards. Won the 90+ average award all 4 years.

Extracurriculars:
Throughout high school was in an international languages program. Finished the program with a 96 average and won student of the year.

Will be doing an engineering internship this summer. Wont be able to put this on my application this year though. Maybe next year.

University:
Did poorly in 1st year. However, was able to convince university to remove winter semester of that year from transcript. Average for fall semester alone was a 73.

Doing well in 2nd year, however I purposefully only took easy classes. Average for 2nd year alone should be in the 90s for at least fall semester. Don't know about winter semester of this year but planning to take easy electives again so am expecting a similar situation. I expect my overall average to improve to a low 80 by the end of fall semester and to a high 80 by the end of winter semester.

Extenuating Circumstances:
Will discuss these in a form submitted with my application. Basically, my breadwinner parent had to leave his job due to a disability. This caused my family to become low income. In time my mom, due to domestic issues at home, decided to divorce my dad. Legal proceedings were taking place to finalize the divorce. However, my dad ended up dying. My dads disability was neurological in nature meaning caring for him was a chore. My dads death created more domestic and financial issues for me.
>>
>>13889825
Oh I should also add, I don’t want to be in biomedical engineering. I’m mainly interested in mechanical and electrical.
>>
>>13889900
>>13889903
so you're transferring because you want in to the general first year program? why not just apply straight to second year in your desired discipline and take the pre-reqs at your current uni, or better yet transfer to your desired discipline at your current uni. I don't really see the point of switching institutes unless it's some cost / location reason
>>
>>13889924
It should be easier to transfer into general 1st year. I imagine it’s hard to transfer into 2nd year. Also, I had one semester of 1st year removed and can probably also get the other removed so I might as well start fresh at the uni I want to transfer to.
>>
>>13886474
Let me guess, you were slam jamming a gorillion credits your first semester and got BTFO.
>>
>>13889930
No. Read about my extenuating circumstances.
>>
>>13889930
Extenuating Circumstances:
Will discuss these in a form submitted with my application. Basically, my breadwinner parent had to leave his job due to a disability. This caused my family to become low income. In time my mom, due to domestic issues at home, decided to divorce my dad. Legal proceedings were taking place to finalize the divorce. However, my dad ended up dying. My dads disability was neurological in nature meaning caring for him was a chore. My dads death created more domestic and financial issues for me.
>>
>>13889928
>It should be easier to transfer into general 1st year
hard to say, you're competing with HS students for first year and people dropped like flys going into second so it may actually be easier
>might as well start fresh at the uni I want to transfer to
unless you plan to go for a masters / phd then grades literally do not matter. even then I recall something about the grad programs only looking at your last 2 years so bad first year is even more irrelevant

also you still haven't answered why you need to transfer schools
>>
>>13889946
Oh yes, my bad.

There’s a few factors influencing my decision.

1)Better coop
2)Have the engineering majors I want
3)Honestly, I have something I want to accomplish personally and going to one of these schools is necessary to accomplish said thing.
>>
>>13889957
1) You already got an engineering internship. You're already ahead of the curb. You clearly don't need help finding a job.
2) Literally every school has mechanical and electrical engineering, the ones you said you were interested in.
3) wtf does this mean?
It sounds to me like you're wasting your time and tuition money. Especially at a time when your family can't afford it.
>>
>>13889978
1) I have an engineering internship because my uncle owns the company. I never applied for coop after high school. I know, I’m an idiot.

2)Not electrical

3)It’s really important to me. I also have a lot of money saved up for tuition. Also, correction: my family kind of fell apart.
>>
>>13889957
well for Mac I can't really speak to the coop as I just got an internship myself and bypassed the coop system, but you shouldn't have any trouble applying for mechanical engineering, I think it routinely scores the lowest in the last few years in terms of application rankings. EE is usually much more popular, I think it swaps with mechatronics for second place every so often with software being #1. I've heard waterloo has the best coop system if that's important to you
>3)Honestly, I have something I want to accomplish personally and going to one of these schools is necessary to accomplish said thing
I can't think of a single thing all of these schools offer that no other does that would make it worth transferring other than maybe location
>>
>>13889989
It’s the most autistic thing ever, but to me, it’s incredibly important. I know I sound stupid.

What do you reckon my chances are for Mac. I’ll be applying with a low 80 average after fall semester. I also have strong high school grades and serious circumstances that caused my grades to be lower than they could have been in 1st year.
>>
>>13889999
idk protocol for transfer but I'd say your odds are pretty high. my entry requirement was 86 HS average and 83 maintained after HS graduation. then first and second year uni most of the class (less half the first years that dropped out) was scraping by with 60's, so coming in with an 80 average on uni courses should show you're better than the average student. if you want mech I'd say apply directly to that as second year since it should be piss easy to get in if you have the first year reqs

>It’s the most autistic thing ever, but to me, it’s incredibly important. I know I sound stupid.
you do. what is it? I want to gauge just how stupid you are
>>
>>13890028
Fair enough, however. If you only look at my engineering courses I would only have a 73 average. The easy electives I am taking this semester will bump me up to a low 80. Nonetheless, when I took those engineering courses I was experiencing serious problems and in high school I had pretty strong grades (if it counts for anything).

All I’ll say is that in ways I’m really retarded. I become obsessed over small things and need things to be a particular way. I’m trying to create out of myself a certain character and this is integral to said character’s story.
>>
>>13890051
what is your current uni?
>>
>>13889798
promoting employees to management positions is not nepotism
>>
>>13890059
To not completely doxx myself, I’ll simply say it’s Carleton tier.
>>
>>13890084
Why did you go to a shit tier uni with the grades you had?
>>
>>13890093
I’m retarded.
>>
>>13890084
what's wrong with carleton? I work in ottawa now and like half my coworkers went there. if it's a prestige thing then don't bother, it's completely meaningless outside of UofT and waterloo for compsci
>>
>>13890097
There’s nothing wrong with it. As I said, I have a few reasons why I want to transfer. I’m merely saying that I was retarded to to not apply to higher tier universities too.
>>
>>13889798
>Meh. All companies breed nepotism. It's the name of the game.
That is a bit too crass.
>Contrarily, I would never work for a company that doesn't recruit from within.
Recruiting from within is fine as long as you also have some new blood from outside.
>Picking someone outside to lead/manage complex projects is a waste of money and time when you already have employees who understand the project. You don't want to have to waste time bringing someone up to speed and if you're promoting an atmosphere of job hopping by not recruiting from within, you may even lose the manager once they're trained up.
Certain kinds of management is not tied to that one project but to one abstraction up, such as handling a family of products/projects and planning for the future. Management has many tiers, and a technical manager is tied to a project. That doesn't mean nobody else has the insight. Also this is a mixed blessing because if you get too specialised you will be set on a dead end career path.
>Management jumping is fine for fields where the projects are mostly the same from company to company, but any field that's not like that (defense off the top of my head) you're just asking for a work stoppage.
Funnily my experience is from defence.
>Anyway, to answer the guys question, if they're not already pushing you into management positions forcibly, then you gotta leave. We are in a boomer exodus at the moment and if your company isn't recognizing that and freaking out and pushing you hard into management, another company will.
That I can agree with.
>>
>>13889721
This might be a naive question, but is it possible to identify such harmful individuals or departments in academia? Like an anonymous website for academia for academia, possibly like Glassdoor?
>>
>>13870922
You'll have your time in the sun anon, just keep trying
>>
>>13871256
Go to a target school for undergrad, or get a MFE from a target school, or get a phd in physics, math, computer science, or statistics
>>
>>13887993
>better route would probably be to get a job now. it wont be a physicist job but just get something in STEM
what sorts of positions and where should i look
>>
>>13891296
>target school
I feel it's unfair that some firms, quant trading firms in particular, only recruit from specific schools only. Candidates not from target schools have to be tremendously exceptional and often have more achievements than candidates from target schools.
>>
>>13891341
It was never fair
>>
>>13891310
just look at job postings online. it's not complicated. try google job search or indeed.com, maybe dice.

also just go to company websites and they usually list job openings there too. if you are american there are fucking endless job openings so no excuses
>>
>>13870912
>get offered postdoc role
>hooray I made it
>look at pay
>rethink the last 10 years of my life
>>
>>13891351
This is the most important theme I try to get across in these threads. It doesn’t matter if your whole family died or you aren’t the “correct” ethnicity or you didn’t get the position because of nepotism. It’s all on you. It’s all unfair. Everyone has their own bullshit they have to overcome, some more than others. You either get busy winning or get busy losing.
>>
who else here chem E and got the fuck out of manufacturing

moved to IT and it's more money for a fraction of the work and stress

fuck turnaround and being on call
>>
File: frog (2).jpg (80 KB, 1280x720)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Is IT systems maintenance the final CS redpill?
>Not mediating between dev monkeys and userbase
>No rat race to push new features as in development
>No smug superiors
>Lots of free time to fuck around online
>Personal on-site office, but provided you do your job no required attendance
>Easily do remote maintenance
>Feel superior to the company office rats
>Company sponsored certs, easy entry to other related positions if you ever need it
>>
If you are an engineer, want to remain technical, and don’t see your path forward, well here it is:

CAD/Excel Monkey > Acquire PE > Senior Designer > Principle Engineer

You’ll top out at $200k at any decent firm
>>
>>13891296
>MFE
Isn't this only for the best math whizzes? All the top MFE programs are filled with East Asians too.
>>
How the fuck do you come up with good thesis titles?
>>
>tfw soon graduate with statistics degree and minor in math + CS
Feels good man.
>>
>>13891160
This is hard and if you look closely you will see that Wikipedia does not cover much of this.
I can see a need for a website, perhaps like ratemyprofessors.com but with an emphasis on research rather then teaching. It cannot be in Europe since this would probably violate GDRP.

As things are now you can only rely on word of mouth and people who can find links that Google or Wikipedia will not want to show you. And that makes this general so valuable.
>>
>>13891773
it's what i should have done. i have a prestigious research career which i worked pretty hard to get and now starting to think it was a mistake, should have just taken the easy route
>>
>>13889730
Are you in Sydney? You could look for test engineer and materials engineers positions too, don't be deceived by seek's "chemical engineer" category.
Also even if a job says something like "At least 2 years’ practical experience with..." just apply anyway.
>>
>>13891573
I worked with a ChemE who transferred over to R&D in the chem team. Less money but comfy work without any of that on-call shit.
>>
>>13891820
What's the scientist version of this?
Also what's the difference between all the senior scientist titles: lead scientist, supervising scientist, senior scientist, team lead, principal scientist. I feel like everytime I start to get an idea in my head of what a title means I see a job ad/someone with the title and the duties are completely different.
>>
>>13892282
they are meaningless and vary between organizations
>>
>>13892145
>should have just taken the easy route
I don't think so. Life is about experiences, and research is definitely one. I did research in academia then national labs before going to industry. I don't regret this.
>>
>>13892373
Yeah you're right. I'm in something similar to a national lab right now, plan is to go into industry next year. Main reasons being more money and ability to work remote
>>
>>13892353
Figured as much, makes it hard to job search since sometimes my same job title is a lower or higher position at another company.
>>
Chemfag anon here with the super shit resume from a while ago. I cleaned it up to where it is suited for industry and not for academia. Let me know if this will fuck me up again
>>
>>13892275
I'm planning on Melbourne as of now.

Is there greater demand in Sydney?

Also I've been led to believe that it's easier to secure a job if I go on a Working Holiday visa initially and push for my employer to sponsor a visa change.
However, pretty much 100% of job listings specify that only PR expats are eligible for application.

Thanks for you advice so far Anon
>>
>>13891409
>if you are american there are fucking endless job openings so no excuses
but im a retard lol
>>
>>13892282
Meaningless and varied, but generally speaking:
>Lead scientist
Leads the scientific effort of a project, is in charge of other scientists on a project (if there are any).
>Supervising Scientist
Basically lead scientist, but doesn't actually do much science, typically reserved for MUCH larger efforts that require scientist to be leading multiple separate scientists. Think Lead+
>Senior Scientist
Typically a designated SME and not on a particular project. They help where it's needed and push for cross project collaboration. They also are the signing body for any report leaving the division/branch regardless of project. Think Lead++
>Team Lead
Not necessarily a scientist. In charge of an entire project and may be organizing groups of scientists, engineers, analysts, contractors, etc. Typically don't do much STEM work outside of money and reviewing documents.
>Principal Scientist
Never seen this one used before. I can only assume that it is specifically a SME in a field of science. A.k.a. if anyone has a question or problem in that field they go to you.
>>
>>13892396
It's honestly the biggest problem with scientist, analysts, and Mathematician. There is like no standardization for these titles. I honestly blame PhDs for this. It all got so muddied up because PhDs wouldn't let people be called a junior chemist or early physicist or new-grad mathematician. They gatekept the titles with PhDs for the most part.

There are a LOT of autistic names out there that are meaningless because they won't just say like 'Applied Mathematician' unless it's PhD position.
>>
>>13893090
Not bad, but personally I think you go too technical. For all of the first bullets you should also add what this thing did for the project. Like okay you wrote these SOPs, how'd they help? Who'd they help? Did you provide training on them to others? Talk about communicating them to the rest of the team and effectively streamlining the process.

Also for things like your third point, I would reorganize a bit. Something like "Certified in maintaining and handling hazardous chemical lab equipment safely. This equipment includes: lust" the reason you do this is because roastie at HR is not going to understand that list, but she will understand the first part and clearly as "person knows shit about being safe in lab and knows how to get certs for it".

Resumes are a bitch because you have to balance your audience between extremely technical groups (the people who you'll actually be working with/under) and the extremely non-technical (those who first see the resume and likely give out the money). Also, run your resume through a resume parser (there are some free ones on the internet), see how the AI is parses your shit, this is what the HR roastie will see first.
>>
>>13893257
Should PI be added to the list?
>>
>>13891409
>just look at job postings online. it's not complicated. try google job search or indeed.com, maybe dice.
Ok. I have started to look at jobs on indeed. not much luck so far. Is there a way to search by minimum requirements? I tried entry level physics and a lot of these aren't exactly entry level, or they have a bunch of other requirements that I don't possess. The other options are things like middle school science teacher, which is a big yikes from me.
>>
Thinking of dropping my Uni to go to a better one, same degree. I'm already 25 though and would still have 4 more years of PhD. Is this worth it?
>>
>>13893824
you just apply anyway retard. the requirements are more like a wish list
>>
>>13893872
Only if you know exactly what youre doing or what you want to do after the degree. If not, probably not.
>>
Starting to regret my choice to apply for grad school, I'm too old
>>
>>13894211
How old?
>>
>>13893126
>non-PR/citizen
>not senior level
Anon I can't see you getting a job anywhere (as you've already seen) but good luck.
>>
>>13893268
We have something like that at my work. Can't get "scientist" in your title without a PhD, so the non-PhD researchers doing the same work are Research Associate and the PhDs are Research Scientist.
Pay scale used, position description and duties are exactly the same though.
>>
New thread:

>>13895000
>>13895000
>>13895000
>>
File: MexiCan.png (646 KB, 794x1123)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
Just graduated and I need suggestions.
I want to work 2-5 years and then study a Masters degree in Germany/Canada in Embedded systems, FPGA's, Computer engineering or PLC's. I graduated from a reknownish Mexican Uni in Mechatronics with a 2.7 GPA or 80% and I have a Canadian citizenship but I don't know how much of a factor that is when applying.

Kinda saw how easy a lot of friends in IT seem to have it in terms of pay/moving around so that's a factor.

1. Does anyone have experience/knowledge in these fields? How was the job and were thepay/benefits/mobility any good?
2. Should I just go full IT? Part of me wants to just pick up a whole bunch of courses in programming and go that way.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.