[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: aubrey-de-grey.jpg (17 KB, 200x267)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
How likely are we to find the cure to old age in our lifetime? Is longevity escape velocity just a fad for them to scam us money or is there some reality behind it? I heard there are some meds that work on rats already
>>
>>13750117
50/50 either we do, or we dont
>>
>Is longevity escape velocity just a fad for them to scam us money
It's both a massive cope and a scam.
>>
>>13750121
There's a 50% chance a meteorite will fall down and kill you right now. Either it happens, or it doesn't
>>
File: telomerenigga.jpg (44 KB, 641x641)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>13750117
It'd be easy if there were an organ which made cells but since our cells make themselves from other cells we're kinda fucked.

We'd need to program in a way to reverse the decay/shortening of Telomeres when a cell reproduces to unlock age-based immortality, and then make that cell dominate in our body despite the competition of all the other cells.

We don't yet know how to do this, but it'd be a monumental task to perform on an adult or child, as opposed to onto our earliest life when we're just a couple cells, so those of us reading this are fucked.

Unless we unlock how those infamous "immortal jellyfish" turn into juveniles after each time they fuck as adults. Otherwise best thing you can do to preserve telomere length is to make as few new cells as possible, e.g. don't donate blood etc (bleeding is why women age so awfully and so fast compared to men)
>>
>>13750125
True, that's why I live in fear each day, but on the other hand I have 50/50 of winning the lottery, I'm just waiting for the price to get bigger then I will buy 2 tickets and gg 100% win
>>
Given that the race who actually innovates is dwindling and the ones that are left are stuck babysitting monkey, I'm going to say about zero.
>>
>>13750117
Zero. Aubrey is a sexual predator and used his position to abuse women. It was never about during aging for this alcoholic, only to lure young women (who are afraid of aging) into his fake company to fuck them.
>>
>>13750440
There are others in this field, like Sinclair
>>
>>13750471
Also a sexual predator
>>
>>13750491
But if you fix aging, you could have 1000 year old lolis, and that would be legal. So being sexual predators doesn't mean they won't try to fix aging
>>
>>13750440
This is actually genius. Best way to get insecure young qts sucking your dick.

Brb gonna start an anti-aging company
>>
>>13750440
>alleged
and even if he does get cancelled it will probably be a good thing, he seems like a loose cannon and is probably best he be replaced by someone more competent and talented.
>>
>>13750586
He's most likely crazy, and looks like a hobbo, but I still need him to make me immortal,so please don't cancel him
>>
>>13750602
if we're going to solve ageing it will probably be solved by some powerful AI in the 2050's so stay healthy until then I guess.
>>
File: people of light.jpg (2.78 MB, 3200x4000)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>13750617
I will be 64 by then...

I guess its over for me.
If the AI reads, this message, please bring me back from oblivion, ok?
And her as well.
>>
>>13750617
How so? AIs don't do research, I don't think they getting better is going to do much.
Besides, a powerful AI won't make clinical trials go faster.
>>
File: 1632201458318.png (2.52 MB, 1020x1016)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB PNG
>>13750630
> AI solves the protein folding
> AIs don't do research

pick one
>>
>>13750633
Solving protein folding won't make clinical trials go faster. And what the AI did is do a theoretical calculation of how proteins fold, it just happens that our methods for experimentally checking how proteins fold are so bad and unreliable that the AI's theoretical predictions are actually more accurate
>>
>>13750568
Aubrey is definitely a genius, and I'm surprised more people don't notice his approach. He's a pseud when it comes to biology, but he knows women. He just fucked up, had a few too many beers, and hit on a bitch. The young girls in the field who are obsessed with preventing their aging are ironically enough usually into older men. So it's easy to pass them off amongst one another (hey baby, we'll give you a FREE SAMPLE of our currently experimental anti aging cream, but just give me a good reason why you're qualified for it wink wink)
>>
File: unnamed.png (702 KB, 1440x1436)
702 KB
702 KB PNG
>>13750629
you'll be fine, you even with basic advancements in medicine and nutrition age 64 by then would be equivalent to a 50 year old today in terms of health.
>>13750633
this I remember most sci people said we wouldn't solve this for another few decades, even basic narrow AI's are getting really impressive.
>>
>>13750669
They also said we'd have flying cars in the 2020s, and I see them nowhere.
Just because people make inaccurate predictions, that doesn't mean we'll find a cure in time
>>
>>13750669
based.
Also, thanks anon.
>>
>>13750136
telomeres is just one facet of aging and telomeres have already been artificially lengthened in a living adult.
>>
>>13750690
Even if we don't solve aging in our lifetimes, eliminating most of the diseases of old age and increasing the average life span of a human to 100-110 that would still be a massive win in my eyes.

We already know humans are capable of living to 120 with the right genes so it is not out of the realms of possibility.
>>
>>13750117
https://akarlin.substack.com/p/grey-skies-ahead-for-life-extension

> Moreover, as I pointed out to them on Twitter, investors will now be warier of investing long-term into something that folds so quickly to mob pressure. Personally speaking, $VITA is my one coin where I’m unironically “in it for the tech.” Said tech involves not dying this century. It doesn’t listening to Dr. Robin DiAngelo’s future lectures on how life extension will immortalize white supremacy and perpetuate systems of oppression against women and POC. To the extent that DAOs are meant to guard against this, it is not the most auspicious start.
>>
>>13750117
As soon as we can begin growing human organs in factories life expectancy is going to skyrocket
>>
>>13750117
How likely are we to find the cure to old age in our lifetime?
Its atleast 100 years away. Dont get fooled by pop sci freaks. We barely know every important growth factor, how you going to solve aging when your organs will fail without regeneration capability?
>>
>>13750117
In my opinion, they've already found several routes to reach biologic immortality. And genetic therapies is one of the most promising ones, I'm only waiting for the price to go down enough in a decade or so and I take it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhCysAEa4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPbQQ2Hsws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjk-lIXFf0
>>13755319
>Its atleast 100 years away.
The same shit was told about the goal of Human Genome Project. Why do you useless faggots have to have opinions about things you don't even follow
>>
>>13755405
>I'm only waiting for the price to go down enough in a decade or so and I take it.
Rich people can't have it yet, even though they can afford it
>The same shit was told about the goal of Human Genome Project
That was a technology that already existed and was perfectly escalable, that's why governments invested in that but won't invest in this
>>
File: Cost_per_Genome.png (202 KB, 3200x1801)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>13755448
>Rich people can't have it yet, even though they can afford it
They cannot get it in the USA, maybe they should go South before they go south.
Integrated Health System is the name of the medical tourism company.
> That was a technology that already existed and was perfectly escalable
Oh, really? You decided to speak out of your ass again? What technology was that and why the picrelated?
> that's why governments invested in that but won't invest in this
They invested in that to take it under their control and to curb it. They planned to steal the budgets for twenty years on that project, but Craig Venter whom they ousted, found private funds and made it in nine months.
The same trick they played on Aubrey, the CEO who planned and played the takeover (in which those chicks were only pawns) is also some government official.
>>
>>13755503
>Integrated Health System
Cant find it, link?
>>
>>13755530
>Integrated Health SystemS
>>
>>13755567
All I get is a definition of healthcare systems, not an actual company. At least where is it located?
>>
>>13755591
https://www.integrated-health-systems.com
>>
>>13755405
>The same shit was told about the goal of Human Genome Project
Because sequencing dna is the same as mapping a 100+ pathways.
>Why do you useless faggots have to have opinions about things you don't even follow
Actual research as opposed to linking quack scammers on youtube.
Your genome isnt going to fix scar tissue or degeneration of regenetative capability by itself.
>>
>>13750117
>How likely are we to find the cure to old age in our lifetime
0. Anyone getting close will just get #metoo-ed
>>
File: 1445730190773.jpg (1.86 MB, 6083x7920)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>13755612
>https://www.integrated-health-systems.com
>The expression of this gene (mainly in the kidneys) results in the production of Klotho protein, which protects our vascular system (arteries and veins) from mineral deposits. Such deposits are harmful because they lead to what is known as “calcification” of our vascular system, a major reason for death in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease or CKD.
This is healing crystal tier retardation
>>
>>13755168
>We could do it today
>The reasons we don't are almost entirely political
>>
>>13750117
Just solving some present damage and buying time to fix future problems ignores diminishing returns and the accumulation of harder to repair damage.
It's good marketing but nowhere near Full self driving will turn your tesla into an appreciating asset.
>>
everyone in this thread will die within a normal human lifespan
>>
>>13750440
Those female mediocrities hope to take over from Aubrey and receive funding for their worthless resveratrol on dogs studies. The old weirdo sent one email and they took away his career. The propanda that claims that without sexual harrasment science would be more advanced is more harmful than anythings Aubrey ever did. So much effort and resources will be wasted for these mediocre grifting careerists.
>>
>>13757564
Yes because it will become normal for human lifespan to exceed 100.
>>
File: david sinclair bruce.png (754 KB, 900x600)
754 KB
754 KB PNG
>>13750117
Very. It's real. Correct.
>>
File: Y tu mamá también.png (243 KB, 680x709)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>13757470
We should learn to embrace it.
>>
>>13757474
Mind to explain?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klotho_(biology)
>>
>>13757466
>Your genome isn't going to fix scar tissue
You don't know that.
>Your genome isn't going to fix degeneration of regenerative capability
Boy you're clueless. That is exactly what telomerase is for.
Either way, as I said, "they've already found SEVERAL routes to reach biologic immortality." so if gene therapy cannot fix everything, somewhere somebody probably has already figured out how to fix it otherwise.
>>
>>13757638
>You don't know that.
I do know that, and if you had even a basic clue about biology you would as well.
>That is exactly what telomerase is for.
You really are helpless.
>they've already found SEVERAL routes to reach biologic immortality
They haven't. Maybe conceptual, but nothing close to concrete.
>>13757626
Care to explain how "calcification" is a major reason for death in CKD patients. When its such a childish missrepresentation of whats really happening. And why aren't they capable of replacing the kidney without dialysis when they'fe found the way to reach immortality?
>>
>>13758005
>I do know that, and if you had even a basic clue about biology you would as well.
So why don't you tell us how exactly you know that? (inb4 "you're too stupid for me to even try, but I still have time for another insult")
> You really are helpless.
And your replies are oh so helpful! By giving me shit you only make yourself an asshole.
> They haven't. Maybe conceptual, but nothing close to concrete.
Maybe, yep. You know fuck all.
> Care to explain how "calcification" is a major reason for death in CKD patients.
let me google it for you..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_kidney_disease
ctrfF calcification
>>
If we had colonized africa, we would have 2x the intellectual output per capita that we have right now. Imagine having another america.
In this alternate timeline we would already be on mars, and likely cured aging years ago. 2020 is a late future that many people were hypothsizing about being this fantastic place. But we never reached that level
>>
>>13750136
apparently telomeres don't apply to miosis right? like when my cells give birth to new life, the new life isn't having shortened telomeres. So the idea that telomeres are some unsolvable problem is probably not true at all
>>
>>13758141
People who are obsessed with telomeres have never followed a basic cell course.
The Hayflick limit is a valuable thing to stop cancers.
>>
>>13750117
>How likely are we to find the cure to old age in our lifetime?

100% by 2040
wouldnt it matter how old you are anon'chan??
>>
Ysk if you cure old age you fuck up everything else.
>>
>>13758083
>So why don't you tell us how exactly you know that?
Because scar formation isn't solved at all. Or if you actually want to be a smart ass: Nothing in the human genome is capable of removing liver cirrhosis.
>let me google it for you..
Wow who would have guessed! Calsification is a risk factor and not a cause of death, dayum! Out of all death causes that accompany CKD they went with one that doesn't directly cause it. They should have said hypertension.
Rest of your post is pure copium. If you wanted to be taught something you shouldn't pretend to be somesort of expert.
>>
>>13758304
>Nothing in the human genome is capable of removing liver cirrhosis.
A large statement. Meanwhile.. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10759218/
>>
>>13758354
You're actually retarded right? Or do you think gene treatement is something inherent to the human genome?
>>
> Nothing in the human genome
You don't get the idea. Now we can turn our genome as unhuman as we wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqo3yR109wE
>>
Please fuck off to >>>/x/ if basic biology is beyond your grasp
>>
>>13758382
>inherent
whatever you wanted to say
>human genome
Once again, you're not gettin it at all.
>>
>>
>>13758389
What basic biology are you speaking of? Please be specific, or fuck off yourself.
>>
>>13758397
> militant schizophrenia
fear is the foremost motivator of the retarded scum and crooks of all sorts resort to it all the time, what else is new?
>>
>>13758405
>>13758396
You claim the body is capable of reversing liver cirrhoses by itself yet so far the only evidence is a literal scam bait website and a paper that claims the complete opposite of what you state
>>
>>13758466
>You claim the body is capable of reversing liver cirrhoses by itself
Do I? Not that I would object it knowing what miracles it is capable of being treated with high doses of thc, but did I claim what you say I have?
>a paper that claims the complete opposite of what you state
Once again, be more specific, don't be affraid of copyright infringements, use the copy-paste, kudasai.
>>
>>13758418
If you don't have a black belt in jiu jitsu, I don't know you and you're just some worm that tried to attach itself to me.
>>
>>13758496
> militant schizophrenia intesifies
find some benevolent therapist and take some lsd in his or her presence
>>
>>13758476
>>Your genome isn't going to fix scar tissue
>You don't know that.
>https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10759218/
>Liver cirrhosis is the irreversible outcome of fibrous scarring and hepatocellular regeneration.
By now its obvious you dont even have paper access.
>>
>>13758552
>>>Your genome isn't going to fix scar tissue
>>You don't know that.
"isn't going" was the key phrase in the discussed context. It quite maybe is, if we tweak it a little bit.
>>
>>13758552
>>Liver cirrhosis is the irreversible outcome of fibrous scarring and hepatocellular regeneration.
So what stopped you from reading past the first sentence?
>By now its obvious you dont even have paper access.
I know sci-hub, so I do:
> Repeated in vivo transfection using HVJ–liposomes is simple and safe and can be done without causing sub-stantial inflammation or activation of cellular and humoral immunity. Another new approach, infusion of naked plasmid DNA via the hepatic artery, is also safe and can be done without eliciting a strong host immune response. Using these newly developed methods, HGF gene therapy may eventually be applied clinically for the treatment of patients with liver cirrhosis, which is otherwise fatal and unresponsive to conventional therapy.
>>
>>13758564
Semantics isn't going to save you.
You cannot tweak your genome to regenerate and undo scar tissue.
>>13758602
Ah so injecting exogene DNA that stops expression from endogene genes is now part of the genome. Very cool.
>>
>>13758641
>Ah so injecting exogene DNA that stops expression from endogene genes is now part of the genome. Very cool.
That is just one step beyond of what that "literal scam" offers. And you would get it if you wasn't so painfully clueless.
>>
>>13758662
The paper is almost 20 years old and liver cirrhosis still isnt treatable, so no the therapy option didn;t work.
Meanwhile you have some sort of B-tier website selling pure quackery without even a single refrence.
Your goal post moving is retarded.
>>
File: mban165h3.jpg (312 KB, 1570x1800)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>13758683
>The paper is almost 20 years old
And that is why they are doing it in mice.
Rejuvenating gene therapies were published 20 years ago, and it's been only about 5 years since somebody dared to apply it to humans (evading the harmful regulations by making it off-shore)
>>
>>13750602
Aubrey is just a frontman that collects money from investors.

The real progress is being made in labs by random PhDs that publish boring articles all day long which nobody reads. After that it's just a matter of commercializing whatever breakthroughs they find in the lab. Aging is just cells accumulating damage over time and it can be reversed by either restoring the cells to their original state or replacing them with new ones. There are many different cells in the body which can malfunction in many different ways, which means there will never be one universal cure for aging. Longevity escape velocity is real but misunderstood. It's not about delaying aging as a whole but about curing malfunctions individually so that by the time you get Alzheimer's, there's already a cure available that will keep you alive long enough for scientists to find a cure for the prostate cancer that you get 10 years after you fixed your Alzheimer's. Lots of promising treatments are in clinical trials right now, but the whole process takes about 15 years from lab to market. It's a slow, gradual process, and just because some people alive today will live to 200 doesn't mean that you will be one of those people.
>>
File: NETS[1].jpg (439 KB, 1600x1064)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>13758708
>>
>>13758757
What was the goal? What is it now?
>>
File: 2srecr.jpg (117 KB, 1044x1078)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>13758135
>>
>>13750117
SCIENTIST SAY WE WILL BE IMMORTAL BY 2045
https://youtu.be/DCvUUycZjYA
>>
>>13758709
looks like my ex with a roboarm
>>
Already happening OP

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.