[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ezgif-7-40dfd90d172d.gif (2.65 MB, 240x240)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB GIF
Normies are braindead

How do we promote critical thinking
>>
File: 1444465152621.jpg (142 KB, 422x422)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>13642519
Disable safeguards that enable people to live without critical thinking skills.
>>
>>13642519
>How do we promote critical thinking
delete your facebook and twitter accounts
>>
>>13642519
abolish public education, yes its that simple
>>
>>13642564
NIGGER
safeguard disabled now you can only respond as an NPC outing yourself or reveal you're an actual human being.
>>13642519
impossible too many jew golems
>>13642758
>abolish jew programming 101
never gonna happen, it'll fix the world too much.
>>
>>13642519
Friendly reminder only normalfags use the word "normie."
>>
>>13642771
UNfrenly reminder only normalniggers use the world "normalfags"
>>
>>13642777
Why is it friendly to the UN? We hate the antichrist.
>>
Learning the names of the classical rhetorical fallacies was probably the biggest leap in the advancement of my own critical thinking. I was always a good critical thinker, but learning those fallacies felt like a big eye opener for me. It was only part of few weeks in a 1000-level philosophy class but it was one of the best things I learned in college, and one of the most useful given my propensity for argument.
>>
File: Untitled presentation.jpg (58 KB, 960x540)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>13642788
there is still hope
>>
>>13642806
Same, when you can put a name on something it becomes easier to identify it.
>>
>>13642519
Even the phrase "critical thinking" has been partially subverted.
>>
>>13642806
>Learning the names of the classical rhetorical fallacies was probably the biggest leap in the advancement of my own critical thinking
You are precisely the kind of person who should not have been taught how to read or write. Anyone with an IQ over 115 can see just how profoundly worthless these thought-terminating cliches your ""'thinking""" revolves around, are.
>>
>>13642866
>t. dumb label thinker
The true seed of midwittery.
>>
>>13642806
Some of them are stupid though. While logically fallacious, the reasoning and conclusion are still valid taking into account aspects besides logic, e.g. human nature and emotional responses. A good example is the slippery slope fallacy: while a logical fallacy, it is actually a very reasonable argument as proved time and time again.
>>
>>13642881
I don't think of them as defining terms they're just a useful entryway to understanding common manipulations. Getting too caught up in labels leaves you vulnerable to only think within the bounds of said labels.
>>
>>13642882
> A good example is the slippery slope fallacy: while a logical fallacy, it is actually a very reasonable argument as proved time and time again.
It's not a logical fallacy. All """logical fallacies""" are strawmen.
>>
>>13642891
What's the use in memorizing the names of a bunch of strawmen by construction? Name one common "logical fallacy" that isn't just a strawman.
>>
Flawed promotion of endless critical thinking is what got us to a place where a worryingly large part of the population refuses to listen to any experts and instead "does their own research" on Google and Facebook.

Maybe it's time to promote a bit less critical thinking and a bit more respect towards authority
>>
>>13642897
But I don't remember the names other than maybe ad hominem? It's a useful introduction to understanding how to properly present and argue ideas in debates.
>>
>>13642901
We're in a similar circumstance to the invention of the printing press and the spread of literacy.
So called "authorities" were shown to be hollow.
>>
>>13642906
"Ad hominem" is the most putrid example. Why is it a "logical fallacy" to call you a retard?
>>
>>13642901
At least you and your drones are starting to admit that it's not about criticla thinking, but about bootlicking.
>>
>>13642922
If a fool speaks truth is the truth somehow less true?
>>
>>13642927
When they taught you "critical thinking" in school, they didn't mean "become the sole arbiter of truth by looking up poorly-researched blogposts online that reinforce your previously held beliefs" and they really should've made that more clear. Many such cases.
>>
>>13642882
That class also taught me about the three sides of the rhetorical triangle. You can circumvent logos with pathos and ethos but knowing the names of the fallacies for calling out such strategies has a lot of pathos and/or ethos on its own, aside from the basis in logos.
>>
>>13642564
Correct.
>>13642762
Meds.
>>
Why have a discussion with someone to challenge not only their position but your own as well, when you can have a semantic competition that you can win by memorizing a long list of Latin words that you can try to shoehorn in to discredit your opponent?
>>
File: S4u2l61.png (310 KB, 1000x570)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>13642519
by ai-powered extra-neocortex
SOON
>>
>>13642932
>If a fool speaks truth is the truth somehow less true?
If I call you a retard, am I actually making that strawman argument?
>>
>>13642937
Nobody taught me "critical thinking" at school, because public school is desgined to produce cattle like you.
>>
>>13642937
>taught you "critical thinking"
You can't teach critical thinking to anyone. You either have it and it flourishes as you grow up or you don't and end up a pathetic bootlicker like you.
>>
>>13643002
we'll still need to wait ~50 years for this to happen
but yeah, if blacks are gradually modified to such an extent that they become white / asian... why not?
>>
>>13643111
>we'll still need to wait ~50 years for this to happen
It is already happening. I expect the price to go down fast enough so I can modify myself in 20 years (or even ten, if I'm lucky) and in 50 years it will be just dirt cheap that every nigger will be able to modify himself into a mozart or newton the same way internet made every apartment potentially what the best libraries couldn't be in the same few decades.
>>
>>13643026
But being a retard does not make you wrong.
>>
>>13643140
But then they won't be a nigger at all?
>>
>>13643156
You're a moron and you're wrong. Where's the logical fallacy? Where did I imply that your moronic predicament is proof that you're wrong?
>>
>>13643161
You will be able to turn yourself into a nigger if you find that fit. I think all sorts of abominations will be observed. It's some interesting timeline we're in.
>>
>>13643177
It's a logical fallacy because it attacks the person instead of the idea to imply that the idea is wrong because of who said it.
>>
>>13643199
What's the logical fallacy, exactly? Put it as a syllogism.
>>
>>13643217
That you can invalidate the logic of someone's argument by calling the a moron.

It is valid to call into question the history and motives motives of a person when attempting to gauge their reliability, say you were to find that a person has a habit of lying and manipulating data to present their arguments but that would not change whether a statement were true or not.
>>
>>13642519
stop getting mad when normies begin to enjoy science
>>
>>13643199
moron confirmed
>>
>>13643256
There's more to knowledge than just materia, it's interpretations of materia which normies see one-sidedly and uncritically
>>
>>13643241
Still waiting for that syllogism, so that we could analyze it instead of this waffling.
>>
Just reintroduce logic as a requirement in elementary school before any other subject is learned. Just like in the medieval school system.
>>
>>13643506
Formal logic is borderline useless when it comes to reasoning about the real world.
>>
>>13643518
No it isn't. If people are able to recognise bad reasoning in others then they can do it in themselves as well.

People would easily be able to know something is wrong and why it is wrong. Instead of just having a feeling something is wrong, but not able to know what or why.
>>
>>13643506
I think logic is too big a subject to have to understand before doing anything else. While it should be compulsory at every level until the end of highschool I don't think requiring it before you can learn to read or do simple math would be a good thing.
>>
>>13643755
It isn't too big. All school children in the medieval era managed to do it before learning anything else. How much dumber than medieval children are children today?
>>
>>13643767
My point is how much less did they have to learn then? These days you need a lot more knowledge just to get by than you did then. When you exit school to enter the workforce at 6 you aren't going to be that educated are you?
>>
>>13643547
Most good reasoning is not formally valid.
>>
>>13643755
>>13643767
>>13643796
>midwit autists arguing about muh importance of logic, despite none of their practical day-to-day reasoning being deductively valid
>>
>>13643803
When a see a news artical with only "part" of the headline in quotations I instantly wonder why they have chosen to make the headline defination claim proof. This combined with media literacy has proven extremely useful in my daily life and how I filter information.
Then lets step away from the daily and look at the most important thing an individual does to influence their society, vote. Being able to apply logic to all the arguments being made is extremely important and I believe neo-liberalism can't survive a well educated population.
>>
>>13643798
You mean "I am right because you're a fat faggot"?

>>13643796
They still knew a lot more logic than 99% of the population today.

>>13643803
All my reasoning is logically valid.
>>
>>13643855
>All my reasoning is logically valid.
Almost none of it is logically valid, if by "logically valid" you mean "deductively valid". The overwhelming majority of the time, we all reason inductively about the world. The fact that you don't understand this, is a testament to your utter lack of understand of what logic even means, yet you vomit your pseudery about how we should all study logic.
>>
>>13643824
That whole line of reasoning is invalid, as far as formal logic is concerned.
>>
>>13643871
I just mean that my reasoning is not fallacious like your reasoning.
>>
>>13643943
Define "fallacious reasoning".
>>
>>13642519
>t. normie
>>
>>13642893
what about the strawman fallacy?
>>
>>13643026
If you state something of the form
>you're wrong because you're a retard
yes.
>>
>>13644157
But I didn't even say "you're wrong because you're a retard". I said "you're a retard and you're wrong". One way or another, both statements are logically different from "you're a retard, therefore you are wrong".
>>
>>13644154
>what about the strawman fallacy?
Also a strawman 99% of the time.
>>
>>13644167
kekked and based
>>
>>13644167
>13644157 BTFO'd
>>
>>13643030
You actually sound fucking retarded
>>
>>13647890
Why are you seething, though? How is he wrong?
>>
>>13642519
>How do we promote critical thinking
That's easy. Don't promote critical thinking.
Give up. It's a pipe dream.
I found the language of the MCU's Gilgamesh and nobody cared or tried to help decode it!
Screw em...
>>
>>13642519
better living conditions
better education
u don't develop anything if u don't have the free time + resources let alone critical thinking
>>
>>13642519
This is what you get, when people who can't apply the pythagorean theorem, are allowed access to the internet.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.