[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Be me, writing a science fiction story
>Know that 4th dimensional faster than light is too much for mass market
>Story skims over the explanation to give the functional details
>ie this thing is approaching us, help will arrive in 4 weeks
>Go over my story with my father
>He gets annoyed that the FTL explanation is unclear
>I explain to him verbally how FTL works, because I do actually have a fleshed out explanation
>He gets annoyed that he can't understand it (it's a hair's breadth different from basic wormholes)
>I do the pencil-through-paper wormhole explanation
>He still doesn't get it, also doesn't undrstand relativistic mechanics
>He now can't enjoy the book because he doesn't understand a few technical details
>mfw the perspective character never even uses FTL, they just hang around the one star fighting

Am I wrong to think the average sci-fi reader knows what a wormhole is? I thought the average person, let alone the average person with a college degree, had at some point been told what a wormhole was.

An Alcubierre drive is one thing to not understand, and I'm sure there are even more esoteric ideas on how to circumvent the speed limit.
>>
>>13634386
The average reader would probably know but the average person knows only that you enter a wormhole and come out of the other end. That's it.
>>
Sorry your dad is so dumb anon.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
File: 1599975880500.jpg (364 KB, 1079x1081)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>13634496
exactly wrong
only stupid sois waste brainpower thinking about sci fi fantasy bullshit like time travel and wormholes
>>
File: 200.gif (1.82 MB, 460x200)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB GIF
>>13634386
>I do actually have a fleshed out explanation
Well go on then.
>>
>>13634386
You sound like a massive asshole.
>>
>>13634386
>>Know that 4th dimensional faster than light is too much for mass market

You're implying people who would find this too much would even read a book these days.
>>
>>13635612
Painful

>>13635348
Possibly

>>13635343
If you're expecting math, you'll be disappointed.

The FTL was basically built to create the situations I wanted, since I didn't want things like private cruisers able to blow up planets

Ships in my universe can expel refined exotic matter (which can only be harvested in some places like oil drilling) to twist their velocity vector into 4th dimensional space. The normal 3 dimensions are essentially coiled around, so the analogy is use is getting to the other side of the world by digging a tunnel, although the gain factor is something like 50:1 plus time dilation (so it would take 1 year to go 50 light years, but you on the ship wouldn't experience a full year)

The catch is that you can't do it anywhere, because your speed isn't determined by your ship, but by the amount of gravity affecting you, like a sling shot effect. For material science reasons, gas giants are typically used, but they have much less mass (therefore less "speed" to give) than say, diving at a neutron star or a black hole, although humans are engineering solutions to protect ships and people doing just that, those will always be the realm of an interesting set piece for a story.

So you can go anywhere, you just can't come back if you aren't next to something worthwhile. Sort of like pre-built warp beacons in Mass Effect, except without a precursor race and also it turns the arms of the Milky Way into distinct regions akin to valleys with mountain ranges between them

You can however use a black hole to shoot a relatavistic speed rock at someone's planet and give them a very, very bad day, which is why black holes are military assets akin to nuclear weapons of today

This all achieves the kind of space setting I think is best for stories.
>>
>le sci-fi "physics"
probably the most brainlet shit in the whole damn world to care or write about. """hard""" sci fi has got to be the worst genre of fiction.
>>
>>13634386
>Am I wrong to think the average sci-fi reader knows what a wormhole is?
not even scientists know what a wormhole is, some cant wrap their brain around the idea of a singularity connecting distant points, since its highly hypothetical, and only exists in math. maybe all black holes of similar size are connected to each other with no way through or out, since there is no exit point, since you end up in the "center" of the same singularity, which has event horizons scattered all over the universe like a tumor
>>
>>13636008
yeah, how would such a wormhole singularity even happen in nature? folding space is nothing a single event localized in one spot could even create. not even if you get 2 black holes form simultaneously light years away from each other. it would have to be an artificial created thing with an impossible energy requirement. fuck star gate.. their plot armor runs on zero point energy
>>
>>13634657
>David Icke
>Info Wars
>Intelligent
Ahem* (inhales) AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>13634386
Don't bother writing to the average reader. Write to whatever level makes you feel satisfied with your story. The people who actually share your mind will greatly appreciate not treating them like children.
I think /sffg/ on /lit/ would probably be a better place to ask about this as it's more about the writing aspect than the technical aspect.
>>13635756
Sounds pretty interesting, anon.
>>
>>13636209
/lit/ has never struck me as a useful board

I came here because what got my goat about the whole thing was I thougth the idea of using a higher dimension shortcut was well known, enough at least that I could give it some lip service and move on with the plot

I think you'll notice that I intentionally have parallels to modern day, ie the fuel is how we care about oil, and black holes are just the escalation up from nukes

Science can certainly create strange things but it's human behavior that makes a story good.

Related to all this, most people get their fucking panties in a twist because I call the enemies "the alliance" and everyone complains about not knowing whether this is human vs human or human vs alien, even though it literally has no impact on anything.
>>
>>13636255
combing bad physics with bad writing makes for a poor novel
>>
>>13634386
FTL implies time travel irrespective of the method.
>>
>>13634386
They should be comfortable with worm holes. Also, you don't owe an explanation of how things work with impossible physics. That's the fiction part. You can't go to a bank and demand the inside workings of their software. You're a customer and don't need those details to enjoy the product
>>
>>13638682
Okay, retard.
>>
>>13640188
He's right. It violates causality.

It's funny you are so arrogant but you fail to grapple with this basic problem of FTL travel. Total pseud.
>>
>>13640227
If you wanna follow the popsci meme, be my guest.
>>
>>13640188
>>13640227
It's a difference in perspective. If you say it doesn't because wormholes, then you're taking speed as average speed, not instantaneous.
>>
>>13640229
FTL and wormholes are *literally* popsci
>>
>>13640239
>t. thinks reddit loves Musk
>>
>In 2398, scientists discovered [insert plot exotic matter here] which had negative mass thus antigravitational properties (if this sounds like a Mass Effect ripoff don't worry, Mass Effect ripped it off too)
>In 2486 the first stable man-made wormhole is created and stabilized using this plot-matter, allowing mankind to traverse the stars for the first time in its history
>[Insert whatever additional rules of these plot wormholes that you want here]

Wasn't so hard now was it? Just have whatever you need for the "fiction" part of your sci-fi story be "discovered in the future" and 99% of readers will just suspend their disbelief then and there. After all, who knows what we will discover in the future. amirite?
>>
>>13640522
The more I talk to people about this, the more it seems I need to stop discussing my writing with my father.
>>
>>13640188
looking through a portal would be x-lightyear years ahead of through a telescope, maybe with a different rate of time?
>>
>>13634386
You should go with the Futurama explanation.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.