[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1601948685258.png (233 KB, 440x400)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>4.0 GPA so far from a top uni
>already got a R&D job lined up the second I graduate
>Just need to get 30% on my thesis to graduate
>set aside 3 entire months to do nothing but work on it
>11 weeks later
>dissertation due in 2 weeks time
>already got an extension
>have done absolutely nothing but my introduction and literature review
>have no fucking clue what I'm doing
>don't even know how to set up my experiment
>literally just stared at my screen with no fucking clue what I'm doing for 11 weeks in a row.

anyone else incapable of independent thought? I think smoking 50 cigarettes and drinking 2 litre of coffee a day has ruined my mind.
>>
>>13075435
Just go into industry where you belong
>>
>>13075435
Lmao
>>
>>
>>13075459
The chadest of chads have 4.0 GPA and a good social life. Thinking that chads aren't smart is cope.
>>
>>13075599
and now look at op
>>
>>13075599
>not having 4.0 implies not smart
A 4.0 shows you're a work cuck willing to do whatever anyone asks you to. It is solely a measure of how much you're willing to do arbitrary tasks and a measure for fitting in with the wage slave life.
>>
The number one cause of shitty GPAs is people slam jamming 18+ credits a semester in order to meet a completely arbitrary time table. Nobody cares if you took an extra 6 months to graduate.
>>
>>13075615
this.
>>
>>13075615
This. Sacrifices must be made, but GPA is only to get you to the next step anyway
>>
>>13075615
>Nobody cares if you took an extra 6 months to graduate.
Except loan money is capped and if it is exhausted you'll have no means of paying for school.
>>
>>13075435
>thesis
what is it about? maybe you burned out and need to take a week off or something?
>>
>>13075435
>I think smoking 50 cigarettes and drinking 2 litre of coffee a day has ruined my mind.
yeah, you'll never recover.
sorry, bud.
Drinking caffeine degenerated my mind too, expect I did it on purpose.
>>
>>13075599
I work in industry and we throw away resumes with 4.0 GPAs. It almost always indicates social isolation and poor group work skills.
>>
>>13075435
cum in pussy, dont disapoint your parents
>>
>>13076017
What do you do about GPA's lower than 3.0?
>>
>>13076309
Also into the trash.
>>
>>13076017
is this true for resumes with actual work on them as well?
i have a 4.0 but also have publications, presentations, software dev projects, etc. should I just list those and leave my GPA out?
>>
>>13076515
He’s larping don’t think about it
>>
File: 1581193630495.png (444 KB, 419x610)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>tfw already did my thesis 3 years ago
>passed with distinction, which only 2 or 3 students will achieve per graduating class
>3.84 GPA
Now I'm a neet loser living in a basement with a bed, a computer, and no decorations.
Chin up op, you already took care of the hard part (post graduation)
>>
File: xyet278nq0l61.jpg (62 KB, 679x376)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>13075606
you are right, my brother with down syndrom could go get a 4.0 GPA in pure maths if he worked hard enough.
>>
>>13075615
>18+credits a semester
in germany we have 30 credits per semester for bachelor and masters
a credit point is a unit for 40hours of work. Meaning a 6 credit course requieres 240 hours of work.
same in the US?
>>
>>13075599
Can confirm, my brother is a chad physicist with popping muscles. It's funny people would assume he's dumb. I'm kinda the opposite, virgin mathematics postgrad (ok not actually virgin, but might as well be), and significantly dumber.
>>
>>13075435
HAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Study fags like should end it. If you can't use your initiative when it really matters kys.
>>
>>13076515
No, if you have actual accomplishments then you're fine. But if you have publications on your resume, then no one gives two shits about your GPA as long as it's above 3.25.
>>
>>13077345
Total time investment isnt calculated, its classeroom or lab time only. 1 credit = 1 hour of class or lab time per week.
>>
>>13075435
How the fuck did you get a 4.0 the whole time and then choke right at the last second?

I don’t believe you. No way a 4.0 student would blow it this hard when it really matters.
>>
>>13075444
CS?
>>
>>13075435
Holy shit OP you are literally me.
I landed a job and now I can't even read words, get me out of the hell that is education
>>
>>13075599
The most intelligent people are almost always extremely good looking
>>
>>13075435
i think that's just burnout, anon

>>13077740
last semester trying to do any projects at all was insane. i'd read shit that i'd breeze through my second year and it just didn't click at all
i also had regular mental breakdowns on my floor. the final semester of college is some shit man

i graduated over a year ago and i don't think that burnout even ever went away. life after college is fucking strange
>>
>>13077511
You'd be surprised. There are bug people who have an inordinate capacity for grinding out work and memorizing facts but are totally incapable of original thought. OP is probably one of them.
>>
>>13075435
I know how you feel OP. I’m on the second semester of my Master degree and can’t, for the life of me, write more than 2 paragraphs in a 6 hour span.
>>
>>13075435
Just do enough of an experiment that you get a rough idea of where it's going, fake the data, then get out
Either that or hospitalize yourself
>>
>>13077328
Unironically yes.
>>
>>13075435
you can do it lad i believe in you
>>
>>13075435
not doing my thesis yet but this is very relatable wrt other courseworks
end up pulling through by the end of it tho every time
>>
>>13075606
holy mother of cope
>>
>>13075435
This is why I feel grades and etc and GPAs are a complete scam. Exactly because of this type of situation.
>>
>>13075615
No the number one cause of shitty GPAs is video games and cooming.
>>
>>13075435
>literally just stared at my screen with no fucking clue what I'm doing for 11 weeks in a row.
holy shit, are you me
i need to get a paper done by next monday and all i have is the introduction and review
>>
>>13075435
The entire system you were born into discourages independent thought or action. There is always a hoop presented for you to jump through and people become little more than trick ponies incapable of doing anything but jumping through these hoops.
>>
>>13075435
>smoking 50 cigarettes
You're smoking some wrong herb.
>>
>>13075435
>>13077740
>>13078834
>>13081312
burnout bros...
I’ve spent like 2 weeks writing a presentation that should be done in a day. Currently procrastinating on it rn because every bullet point I write is like pulling teeth
>>
>>13077511
Based. Not worth the extremely diminishing returns to go from 3.8 to 4.0 for 4x the work.
>>
>>13075615
image being "behind" and going to lectures with people way younger than you. I'd rather kms
>>
>>13075435
im the complete opposite, terrible marks and no motivation but put me on a project and i can get going and come up with ideas. absorbed enough key information from my modules, so dont think its a problem.
>>
>>13077345
wtf in the UK its 120 credits/year and 1 credit = 10 hours of either lectures/work/labs
>>
>>13075435
Is this an american thing where you're all by yourself? Here if you're having so much trouble you can always get guidance from the professors. They won't do your job obviously but theyll put you on the right track.
>>
Whatever happened to that anon that was supposed to do a research for a senior thesis and autistically made threads about it all the time? I think he was in engineering, but his research had to do with math or physics.
>>
>>13075435
Sounds like me when I had to write essays in high school. I hope I don't blow everything up next year when I finally have to write mine
>>
>>13075435
I had a really hard time figuring out what to do when I started my thesis. My problem was that two decades on the Internet all day has fucked my attention span so hard that it's very difficult for me to focus long enough to start doing original work. Creativity is hard and glacially slow, you can't do it while tabbing out to refresh a thread every 45 seconds. I have to lock myself in an empty room in order to get anything serious done.
>>
>>13075655
I always forget burgers have to actually take money off their pockets for their uni
>>
>>13077345
>>13084717
One ects credit point is supposed to be 25 to 30 hours, not 40. But in my experience most of the time the actual required effort is barely reflected by the amount of credit points. It heavily depends on the university, the degree, the course itself and the professor.
>>
>>13077367
>mathematics postgrad
Can you please explain what a tensor product is?
>>
>>13076515
If you have actual work experience you shouldn’t be putting your GPA on there anyway
>>
>>13075435
lmfao im a potheaded alcoholic and my mind is as free as it gets you were born that way champ
>>
>>13075435
im 24 trying to finish my general education that i havent even started. u are doing great op!
>>
>>13082546
is there a cure for this curse?
>>
>>13084819
you fags do too, it'd just through taxes and further cucking
>>
>>13086476
death
>>
>>13075444
trips of truth
>>
>>13075435
>>set aside 3 entire months to do nothing but work on it
>>11 weeks later
>>dissertation due in 2 weeks time
>>already got an extension
>>have done absolutely nothing but my introduction and literature review
I did that too anon. I wrote my shitty thesis in less than a week and got full marks on it. The last day I was still editing and adding stuff to it. Wrote a lot of bullshit on a subject I have never known. I was fully convinced I would fail but I guess I got lucky with my prof.
I had like 6 months due to corona only to do one thing. There is nothing that can help us best way to get yourself to stop procrastinating is to shut off the internet, lock yourself into a room without anything else in there but material for the thesis and write on a paper/typewriter and then scan the document. There are some apps/sites that can convert handwritten equations to latex.

t. physicist for some stupid reason. I still can't solve undergrad problems from the first semester. Still a NEET.
>>
>>13086602
Not saying we don't pay, but we don't feel it at all. I even doubt if you have take all the taxes I pay through my entire life and compare to what I'd pay if I had private healthcare + decent private college it would be anything close, considering everyone is paying that shit and not everyone uses it, so it's not distributed 1:1.
>>
>>13081496
>Dude weed is for smart people lmao
>>
>>13084738
Lots of professors here are too lazy to even do the bare minimum of their required work.
>>
>>13087512
It is for everybody. Psychedelics are for smart people, retards shouldn't take them.
>>
>>13081389
oh wow, and I suppose people like you who talk about "the system" are the most critical thinking, independent thinkers around right? Get off your high horse, your brain has limited capacity just like everybody else's, and spouting crap about "the system" doesnt make you any smarter. Had you been born 4000 years ago, youd trade your life for living in the system, chugging down 50 litres of cum every day.
>>
>>13084705
Usually people like that think they have good ideas because they arent autistic enough to understand the limitations of their ideas. Smartish midwits lack "creativity" because they understand when some idea is shit. On the other hand "doers" tend to not realize when their ideas are not so great, and so they just do...not sure what the end product is.
>>
>>13086476
ending capitalism
>>
>>13076514
kek
>>
>>13090085
Well a lot of good ideas that have helped our civilization (the internet, reusable rockets) were considered impossible by pessimist dorks like you.
>>
>>13090765
the "NEVER EVER" children have infested /sci/ for its entire existence
there's one that has been shrieking that everything Musk has ever touched is a fraud and scam for 6 straight years now
>>
File: 1620264769650.gif (1012 KB, 740x900)
1012 KB
1012 KB GIF
>>13086767
undergrad who just finished my first semester. did good on 2/3 of the final

the last 1/3 was on rotational physics and shit.

the problem i had was that it was significantly more difficult than the previous topics.

i would have likely done fine on the section but the entire last 1/3 of the class i didn't learn anything because i couldn't figure it out through the TA like i had been doing on the previous sections.

the professor has a heavy Greek accent and i couldn't understand a single concept he tried to tell us in the last 3rd.

i don't understand how people like him are even allowed to teach the basic concepts if they cant fluidly describe them in clear English. academia is a huge waste of money and people like him are the reason
>>
>>13076515
Dude he was joking
>>
>>13077511
Yup 4.0 means that OP was had his shit together from the start. Someone that motivated was never going to let something slide
>>
>>13081389
Dude what and this thesis isn't just another hoop?
>>
>>13086476
Been like this my whole, my cure was that I record myself shooting the shit about the subject, like pretend I was put on the spot and I had to bullshit my way out. Then use auto-dictation software to turn it into words and edit.
>>
>>13077345
in Germany and all of the EU
>>
>>13092049
that sounds like something that could work.
>>
>>13075599
>>13075606
It shows tenacity.
>>
>>13092189
1200 hours of labor per semester? so 2400 hours of labor for the average school year, more if you go to summer school?
that seems like a lot, 2000 hours is a full year of work at 40 hours a week, if you're doing 40 hours per credit then the semesters should last 30 weeks at least.
are you sure that you aren't being tortured/brainwashed into being industrious slaves?
>>
whole thread is full of pseuds who were told that it's Smart to do this STUPID monkey gear turner shit in life
>>
>>13092632
This.
>>
>>13076515
retard. maybe that guy was right.
>>
>>13080969
Are you referring to the pic?
>>
If you're not aiming for a 4.0, you're basically saying that you don't care to understand the material. In which case, go kys
>>
>>13095299
This would be true if 4.0 indicated thorough understanding of the course content, however, in most courses this isn't actually the case. Having a 3.5-3.8 indicates strong grasp of course material, whilst >3.8 is a pretty good indicator of being socially inept or cheating.
>>
>>13095387
inferior GPA cope
>>
>>13095495
Maybe, but I know that I performed quite well and only lose marks on insignificant subjectivity in grading from time-to-time and have a 3.7 GPA. To have a 4.0 I would need to have perfect luck in including all details in my question that the subjective answer key possesses for the brainlet TA to attribute full marks to my work in every question. This probably isn't relevant in subjects like mathematics but in chemistry and neuroscience the questions have nuance and interpretation.
>>
>>13075599
2.9GPA here. How long and what material should the rope be made of?
>>
>>13095299
All it means is you rightly don't care to waste your time on superfluous work.
>>
>>13075606
This is such a negative view. If somebody genuinely loves what they are learning, are gifted in it, and try their best, and get perfect grades, that is something amazing. Stop approaching everything with this poopy weltanschauung.
>>
>>13075435
phd diss or ms somehow?
>>
Graduated HS 2 years early, won a partial scholarship, went to LSU for 2 years then dropped out when I figured out it was a complete scam. They didn’t teach anything real, all social theology as I call it, and simply assigned “tasks,” or “hoops” as someone accurately labeled. I enrolled for a trade school, it was cheap, invested a fraction of the time, 10 years later I own my own business as an electrician, putting away a high 6 figure salary a year with zero debt. It’s a scam unless you’re going to college to be a Medical Doctor or Scientist, but scientist barely get paid shit anymore, and Medical Doctors spend 30 years paying off student loans, so there you go.

Congratulations on being a sheeple. The system thanks you.
>>
>>13077893
It really is weird... I can only speak for myself here, but the smartest people I know are also among the most athletic and attractive people I know. And none of them are assholes or socially inactive. The (presumably) most stupid people I know however...
>>
>>13077345
About the sameish at my university. I remember our unofficial "rule" was for the amount of credits you're taking, multiply it by 3 and that's the amount of hours approximately you need to work on it a week.
>>
>>13075615
is 18 credits 18 hours of lectures/classes per week in a US uni? That's pretty low, I'm from Argentina and here the standard workload is 27 hours of classes per week, and degrees last five years instead of two.

US unis in general, from what I've been reading, are too lax. I have a friend at Columbia and he told me the final project of his first analog electronics course was building and measuring a common emitter. Seriously? In my first analog electronics course I had to build a ficking discrete 741 op amp. What a bunch of lazy people some of you are
>>
>>13075599
You're right but those people are actual unicorns.
Like 0.1% personality type.
So slightly lower tier chads tend to be generalists I think, good social life and good grades, neither perfect.
I have a good social life and average grades so I'm not talking about myself.
>>
>>13095607
what major? i'm at like a 1.5 or something (barely above being forced to drop out for a year) but i'm still able to find research experience becuase of soft skills, i can help you
>>
>>13076017
>larping this hard

>>13076515
A 4.0 GPA can also indicate someone who works well with others, e.g. he got info & help from other people who already passed the course.
Also probably is someone who carries their weight in groups
Remember that 2.5 GPA retards are always looking for some way to claim they're as smart as the guys who work hard
>>
>>13101591
I guess shitty US universities like Columbia just can't compete with Argentina man.
Go easy on us.
>>
>>13075444
what do you mean, can you please explain I am like OP

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.