[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 0_SOgHCtr_E5kaXpbq.jpg (68 KB, 800x450)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
The recent /g/ thread on HFT inspired me to take a closer look at the finance industry. I know EEs, while they make a good wage, barely crack the 6 figure threshold. Meanwhile those in finance easily make at least half a million. This disparity in pay is why I want to pivot into finance.

Anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this such as projects I should make for my resume, interview prep, etc.? I know college prestige is very important for these positions but my college is pretty highly ranked so I should be fine on that front.
>>
[math]\text{bump}[/math]
>>
Im physics bsc and worked as a quant now for a year. Just do small projects like trading bots and learn other programming languages and get a good final result

most of my day is just optimizing other peoples code don't worry about finance stuff they will teach you that on the job just get very good at optimizing
>>
>>13070437
>do small projects like trading bots
In python or C++?
>just get very good at optimizing
Do you recommend taking Applied Maths courses on optimization?
>>
>>13070452
>in python or C++
honestly both if you want that half a mil pay check
> Do you recommend Taking Applied maths courses on optimization?
I don't know enough to tell you yes or no
>>
What facet of HFT do you want to work in because some of it is more hardware, more software, more math, etc.
>>
>>13070437
what is a good course on code optimization?

I'm fairly good with data structures / algorithms / complexity etc, but have very little knowledge of low level code optimization (e.g. optimizing cache use etc)
>>
>>13070473
Honestly I have interest in all of the fields. In hardware, I have a bit of FPGA experience but I'm taking more comp arch courses next semester which should only augment my knowledge. In software, I know Python, C, and Java and a bit of C++ (I dislike the language so I never really invested a lot of time into learning it but I probably should).
>>
>>13070481
Whats the best way to learn algorithms? Any good books you recommend or should I just grind leetcode?
>>
>>13070437
Is the salary really that high? How was the Job interview?
>>
>>13070481
just google coding optimization examples, sadly i have no actual website to link because i just googled and messed about and applied them to old college programming projects

>>13070858
i live in europe and dont work for a major financial institution so mine is much less but the salary is still very high for somebody straight out of college.

Just a reminder being a quant is no easy job, i have to learn alot in a short time and work until very late to keep up with my colleagues thus the high salary
>>
>>13070542
I'm a different guy but read the Stanford book on algorithms, watch a few lectures on it, and then start grinding Leetcode
>>
>>13070468
what's the workload & hours like
>>
bump
>>
Bump for interest
>>
How can a CS guy get into this?
>>
>>13070452
ApplIed mathematics for optimization is not what they're talking about in the computer programming and performance space. They mean things like threading, timing, small compact and speedy code.
>>
dual phase simplex calculations are driving me crazy. They can go so wrong so fucking easily.
>>
>>13070437
How much would you say the uni prestige matters? In other words, if my resume has a podunk state uni on it, am I immediately going into the waste bin?
>>
File: 1309038819383.jpg (31 KB, 640x640)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Very few people in finance make that much money, entry level CS is the best way for a young person to make a lot of money.
>>
>>13073095
Of course. Anyone who's capable of writing algorithms and making mathematical models is greatly valuable in finance.
>>
>>13070452

Most funds use both. They process data during the day or the night, dump them as csv. It is done in Python. Furthermore the research is also done in Python. When you have a promising strategy, it will be implemented in C++.
But most of the time you will not be alone to implement the strat in Cpp, you will need the help of a skilled IT.
>>
>>13070323
How tf... the most retarded people I've ever came across majored in Finance, I was in high school with a dumb thot who cheated on 11th grade math tests cause she couldn't understand simple algebra and she majored in Finance.

How do those retards even get any job whatsoever?
>>
>>13075937
CS is too saturated, if income is your primary concern is money than finance seems like it would be a better route, or even accounting. I know two different dudes with CS/math backgrounds who went into accounting, and now they're partners at mid-sized accounting firms, and they make well into the 6 figure range. I don't know the exact numbers, but they both go to this really expensive local country club, and they hang out with like corporate lawyers and surgeons who work at Johns Hopkins, so I assume they're very well off, better than most people I know who work in CS or software engineering.
>>
>>13076533
People have been saying CS is too saturated for years yet the demand still seems sufficient and stable. Also, it's probably much easier for a math/cs student to transition to accounting than vice versa.
>>
>>13070323
>EE
as an EE you have to be good at FPGA, C++, and network code (ethernet, udp/tcp, ip, etc) because EEs specifically get brought into HFT to make custom hardware

if you have lots of experience with FPGAs and a connection you might be brought in, but i think more people get in through the CS or math side, though
>>
>>13070323
some quant headhunter messaged me on linkedin but i'm too awkward to respond since i went to a no name college and i think he misread my work history
>>
>>13076616
>FPGA, make custom hardware
Man EEs get to do cool stuff, I often wish I went down that path instead of math/cs.
>>
>>13076621
you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
>>
>>13076670
i feel the same way and i'm trying to pivot my career into compiler dev so i can get to have some impact on hardware. compiler devs are much less in demand than web devs though

in the end every job is a job. it's cool until it seems pointless. people in EE and CE come to CS all the time for a reason
>>
>>13076616
OP here. I forgot to mention I'm actually double majoring in EE and CS.
>>
>>13076711
based, do you like hardware or software more? it's always about where you work rather than what you do when it comes to money i think
>>
File: 10f.jpg (139 KB, 907x680)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>13070323
I just wanted to post this
>>
>>13076505
networking with frats
>>
>>13071397
what do you think of the work? do you think you're building experience that would help in the future if you ever feel like working on a system outside of finance?

>>13076674
i might talk to him tomorrow. it's too late tonight

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.