[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

-Will Karen in HR ever call us back? Edition
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 226x223)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>13053022
Mechanical or Mechatronics or Electrical?

Which is more fun?
Which is more future proof?
Which earns more?
>>
So I'm doing a Math degree. I want to know, what kind of jobs can I find after uni, especifically in Germany? I may go for an academic route, but I've heard I can become a data scientist, this sounds good because I quite like programming.
>>
>>13053115
>I quite like programming
Why didn't you go into CS then?
>>
I would like to work in nuclear weapons in some capacity. Do I need to go to graduate school? Should I if I don't?
>>
>>13053225
Not him but maybe he can't find a decent program. Its hard in the USA since there is little standard. If you do math with a CS minor, you're better prepared for a CS graduate degree I think. Well, it depends if your uni CS department will allow you to enroll in the good classes like ML.
>>
Currently interviewing some potential coworkers at the mid sized biotech company i work at and i swear some bio grads should get clown shoes with their degree, absolutely no professionalism, i wouldn't trust them to work a coffee machine nevermind a HPLC. And dont even get me started on how inept they are a small talk. I dont care if your the next Einstein you have to talk to others like a human.
>>
> am mech e
> over the years, I've gotten real tired of this engineering stuff, I want to study math
is fluid mechanics my escape?
>>
>>13053225
I like Math more. I really only like programming when it is Math related. I've tried webdev and I hated it
>>
File: silicon-die.jpg (111 KB, 850x850)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Which is more fun?
EE when you focus on AI/ML, CE, Robotics, Material Sci, Applied Physics, or Biomedical instead of the standard souless dilbert electronics

Which is more future proof?
EE/CE/CS

Which earns more?
Depends on the speciality, but EE in general.
>>
>>13053313
>>13053536
This tbqh. It’s not glamorous at all but it’s a bomb proof profession.
>>
>>13053022
The acronym should really be SEM.
>>
>>13053559
>>13053536
Redpill me on shit, cum, and piss management civilbros
>>
>>13053115
data scientist is an overhyped career field right now, everyone and their grandmother is trying to become a datascientist,
let me put it like this: I (math grad) did a basic machine learning course at one not very popular university in Germany and there were 450 students signed up and I believe 200+ took the final exam, and it was piss easy shit compared to any math

so basically loads of competition all over the place, I also found out that it was EXTREMELY boring
>>
>>13053795
Yes, with SEM being unemployable and T being the 6 figure tech salaries.
>>
>>13053022
OP; you forgot the link to the FAQ
https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
And it is not static as long as you contribute.
>>
>>13054380
Exactly T doesn't need a career thread they've already made it.
>>
paying to publish, yes or no?

many funded phd positions:
https://www.gssi.it/communication/news-events/item/12364
>>
How dumb would it be to become a new professor's first PhD student? I feel like this would just result in lots of lost time as the lab gets more established
>>
what do I have to study if I want to develop optical circuitry?
>>
>>13055219
EE
>>
>>13055205
if the professor already has grants/funding I'm not sure it would make a whole lot of difference since he probably already has a well-planned project.
that's what I hope I at least, I also applied for a PhD position under a new professor. it's in math though.
>>
>>13055362
That's kind of what I'm worried about. Projects can be thought out but there will always be inertia when they get going. Just hopping into a lab with ongoing research should make publishing easier, at least that's my thinking.
I'm in robotics but I get why this would not be the case in math though. Hope you get the position anon
>>
>>13055205
its going to depend on how you want to be mentored. new prof = needs to slam out papers to get tenured = constantly pushing you and doing work alongside you, whereas middle career people will be more hands off. very first student also means the lost time and also potentially bad mentorship as they figure out how to manage a student, especially if they had bad mentors previously they'll just abuse the shit out of you
>>
as an EE student, what should I say to my employer when he asks me what my career path is? I just know I like designing electronics in KiCAD and choosing components, reading datasheets. I'm interning as a firmware developer but haven't started yet... feel lost.
>>
>>13054365
Yeah it's overhyped. I sat in on two data science lectures for a masters diploma and thought the same thing. Not rigorous, just memey. It's bad that there's no good filter for this field and any chad with a communications degree can "transition" with a coding camp qualification.
>>
>>13055205
sometimes it can be good. joining an experimental physics lab, for example, and helping to set things up and get them started can be a super valuable PhD
>>
>>13054700
>>13053022
New OP anon, here is my /scg/ thread text, incase you make more /scg/ threads in the future:

Welcome to STEM Career General!
This thread exists to posit questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
> Discussion on academia based career progression
> Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
> Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

NOTE: Any useful resources relayed in this thread will be included in future /scg/ threads.
>>
>>13053115
See
>>24060941
>>
>>13053115
Shit,here
https://boards.4channel.org/adv/thread/24060614#bottom
>>
>>13053040
Mechanical is far more futureproof. Lots of escape routes if you need them.
Problem is, too many people are getting degrees for it. You need to make yourself stand out via research or damn good grades.
>>
>tfw fucked up most of my college for 3 years
>tfw by the time I get my degree done I will be like 28 at this point

Should I just give up and go to trade school?
>>
>>13056681
Or even better, should I just do co sci instead?
I kinda just want to spite the faggots on Reddit so I dont do co sci
>>
>>13056681
bro im gonna end up getting my degree at like 33-34. fuck it. better to have a late degree than none. my body is already fucked up, trades would end me early
>>
Is Condensed matter a good field??
>>
>>13056802
It's interesting, there are loads of applications and you get motivation cause you know your research can result in cool technology within your lifetime.

Of course it's still pure research. Not like you're going to do CMP in industry.
>>
>>13056894
Thx anon, i like a lot statistical meccanica so i thought It would be a good topic
>>
>>13056789
Ah fuck it youre right. Im gonna be old someday anyway, might as well be rich too.

Fuck it ill even go for that PhD thanks anon
>>
>>13056908
>>13056789
Spoiler Alert: Nobody in STEM really retires, you’ll just fall into a part time consulting gig. The great (or depressing) thing about this profession is that you can do it till your mind goes, which for many could mean into your 70’s. So for you guys bemoaning getting your degree in your 30’s, remember that you have an easy 30+ years of career ahead of you. Enjoy.
>>
>>13053022
is embedded systems field a garbage field to focus on in ECE?
>>
>>13054380
The S, E, and M of STEM are the actual fields of study. The T is the product of the other three. I don't see people working high power high demand STEM jobs with a degree in technology.
>>
File: 1619061234604.png (459 KB, 656x654)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
>>13053022
>Apply for job
>Have a bit of back and forth with HR regarding some documents
>Get told that I might be contacted for an interview and what not after they receive the documents they asked for
>Shortly after the job posting disappears from linkedin
>Check the company's internal job portal, my profile and my application are still there, nothing unchanged.
>The webpage clearly states that after the application process is done my info will be deleted so the process definitely isn't done in someone else's favour

What does this mean? Nothing? Something good? Something bad? I REALLY want this job in particular.
>>
>>13057286
>>nothing unchanged
*Nothing changed, I'm retarded.
>>
Right now I’m getting a MSEE in photonics and in the final interview process with a Silicon Valley startup that does optical transceivers and a mid-size defense company in their electro-optics division. Just how much of a payoff could be possible in the startup, considering how it’s got Big Data money written all over it? Feels like data has more money (and destruction) going for it than weapons could dream of, but the latter provides stability and a much preferable location on the Space Coast
>>
>>13056597
You would think EE would be more future proof
>>
>>13057286
Honestly the best thing to do is just forget about it for now and apply to other places in the mean time.

You'll hear from them soon enough
>>
>>13054365
what stem fields aren't overhyped
>>
File: 43435.png (1.92 MB, 1632x1224)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
anyone know what the guy in this picture is majoring in just from seeing the background? He said he's in the STEM field.
>>
is doing a PhD in the UK a retarded idea?
>>
>>13053022
Can I get into a CS Master's program with a major in math and a minor in CS (3.8x GPA)?

Or am I going to get mogged by the CS majors?
>>
>>13057711
I can't tell just from that pic but I would guess something along the lines of analytical chem, physical chem, chem engineering or an area of physics with overlap.

>>13057697
Regulatory affairs, sustainability/environmental officer, scientific equipment/product sales. Nobody thinks of those when they think STEM but they're constantly recruiting and they pay very well with only a bachelors needed to get started. Sadly I'm addicted to learning new things so I'll forever be a (relatively) poor researcher.
>>
Anyone else here working as a research scientist in industry?
Is it normal to near constantly feel like you have no idea what's going on? Every couple weeks the projects shift and I have to learn some new skills and develop analytical/test methods completely unrelated to my field. By the time I start feeling comfy with something I'm asked about something else totally new and unfamiliar.
I feel like a fraud barely managing to self-teach myself concepts to keep up with things rather than the subject matter expert I'm supposed to be.
>>
>>13057800
It isnt if you get into St Andrews and fuck ginger College girls all day
>>
>>13057894
You're a shoe-in.
>>
>>13053022
I asked about this on /g as well.

Any anons working in developing research software, particularly Computational Fluid Dynamics?
What's the best way to start learning it and which programming language to use?
I have applied for a Master's program im Applied Math.
>>
File: 1607735697771.jpg (48 KB, 704x120)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>13058673
>Every couple weeks the projects shift and I have to learn some new skills and develop analytical/test methods completely unrelated to my field.
holy shit bros i want to be an industry researcher so badly
what do i have to do, just tell me and ill fuckin do it, im half way through undergrad, EE
>>
>>13053310
Yes
>>
>>13058766
Get some experience. Any experience anywhere as long as it's somehow research/industry related. Experience is the first thing we look for in industry. You could be the top PhD in the world but you're going to be overshadowed by the guy with a master's who has 6 months industry experience.
Before he semi-retired we had a research engineer in my (chemistry) team who was originally trained as an EE but had spent so long in various forms of research (both in industry and academia) that he was qualified to work on chemistry stuff with us. He was a fucking goldmine of information and anecdotes, like one of those stereotypes of "scientists" you see on TV. A oldschool Doc Brown, Feynman type character. Suffice to say he did NOT get on well with the manager(s) or HR and eventually "retired" and went to work for another company.
>>
>>13058677
>fuck ginger College girls all day
what's the pay for that?
>>
>>13058835
Depends if you film it :—-)

But seriously when it comes to engineering PhDs often make less money than people with BSes. You dont need more than a Bachelors if you are in it for the money
>>
File: f35.jpg (621 KB, 2290x1199)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
>Reposting here
Started off as Computer Engineering, but then switched to MechE after freshman year.

Now I've noticed literally every pleb and midwit at my college is studying MechE, and I'm starting to rethink my decision.
It is the largest engineering field at my university, and many others. I'm starting to feel like I'm walking into an oversaturated market.

Should I switch? I hear electrical engineering is always in demand and is filled with nothing but stinky pajeets.
>>
File: darkness.jpg (145 KB, 633x758)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>13057697
>what stem fields aren't overhyped
Stem fields aren't overhyped. The world just sucks, and stem fields comparatively suck a little less, but still suck a lot.

Used to be able to make a decent living in manufacturing back when the US made stuff.
Now everyone is climbing and crawling over each other to find a tiny little niche that doesn't pay dirt in the hopes that they might be able to stop renting before they die.

The Western World shit its pants, and life is simply too competitive now, but America's boot straps attitude has convinced them that this is acceptable. You shouldn't have to be an overachieving mini genius with a workhorse mentality just to carve a tiny slice of life.
>>
File: 1619752259572.png (63 KB, 205x190)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>13053022
Confused and lost ECE fag here, just got done with the first semester completely online from a decent college in a 3rd world shithole country. What is a good and in-demand field of electronics to specialize in? I plan on pursuing a masters from abroad afterwards, what things can I do to improve my chances.
>>
>>13057355
Go defense. More stable and there's limitless money in war. You just have to convince the government that whatever you're doing can kill people and you'll have a blank check.
>>
>>13059203
/thread
>>
>>13058755
Applied Math is indeed what you should do but, the field is very niche and you will get paid less than a web developer. It's not a good career to aim for.
>>
>>13059203
>Stem fields aren't overhyped.
Wrong. STEM is definitely overhyped right now, on many basis:

1. there are lots of jobs: this is not true for most STEM fields, where you either do a Ph.d and try to get an academic position, for which of course there are more applicants than places, or you have to pivot to something very different and get a career in industry, which is now harder to do because university education is becoming more specialized

2. it is meritocratic: kek, you work your ass off, the workload is often comparable to that of med school or law school, but the pay is shit in comparison, this is probably the biggest bullshit of any STEM job, except IT, which is easy and pays well, if you are pulling all nighters and 60 hour work weeks, then the pay should reflect that, but it does not, the pay is shit

3. you do what you love: honestly most people lose their passions after a short while, like you like physics at 16? there's almost no guarantee you will actually enjoy doing real physics when you are 30 and want to start a family, from my perspective as a physics grad, I have seen more people lose their passion by the end of undergrad and even many postgrads who are only there cause it was the only thing they knew how to do

4. it's a respectable career: I guess a lot of us grew up looking up at the greats of the 20th century and we somehow believe that being a mathematician or a physicist or a chemist is like being one of them, but no, not really, in the real world, being a scientist in itself is only mildly interesting, it's not really a career that carries a lot of status with it
>>
>>13059483
This
>>
>>13059483
Might as well add this one too:

5. I will be a genius scientist and change the world: yeah well, the chances of accomplishing that are quite small actually, but you don't have the perspective to know how hard it is until you try it, like, you think you are smart and talented, if you go to a good school, you will meet people who are so smart they leave you in awe and these people still struggle to leave a mark, and still end up being nobodies, science in the 21st century is very hard, there are no easy pickings anymore, your career will be more akin to that of an accountant carefully going over the book of laws of nature and very carefully and very tediously checking every tiny tidbit of theory.

For example look at Ed Witten or Terrance Tao, both geniuses, but even they barely did shit compared to say Dirac or Erdös.
>>
>>13059425
Oh damn. That what should I aim for?

I'll like simulations and modelling and will get my Bachelors in Mech E.
>>
>>13053022
Physics undergrad in Australia. What are my options? Should I just get my degree then try find a job? What jobs? Or go back for honors and PhDyear (grad school for Americans I think?)
>>
>>13059542
modelling and simulation is very niche, it used to be that each company needed their own team and built their own software, but today all that work is done and there isn't a lot of that kind of work anymore

I am not sure what you are trying to do, plain mechanical engineering is way more employable and probably pays the same or better
>>
>>13059510
Fuck Anon you've killed me. The rest of your points I don't care about but this is what I always keep in mind. Maybe I won't be the one who defeats ageing but I'll die trying if that's what it takes. At least I can be a citation in a citation in a citation of one of the world-changing articles.
>>
>>13059553
>Physics undergrad in Australia.
>What are my options?
>Physics
>Australia
>options
Fellow Ausbro I'm sorry, you have no options. If you want to keep doing physics either go overseas or go into academia. Otherwise you could go into one of the STEM-tangential fields which accept any almost STEM degree like teaching, data science, statistics etc.
Even chemistry sucks here if you're not going into analytical/physical (mining/construction) or chembio (research).
>>
>>13059878
Electronics and communication engineering undergrad in India. Want to get out of this wretched shithole asap. What are my options?
>>
>>13059897
Don't come to Australia.
But from what I hear NZ is the easiest pathway. Not sure if they tightened things up but it's traditionally been (supposedly) easier to get NZ citizenship and then since NZers are instant permanent residents in Australia coming over that way. 1/4-1/3rd of the STEM workers in my workplace are Indians, the rest are Asians, Arabs and whites (they're the minority, I'm the only non-Eastern European white scientist).
Are you in India now? I hear shit is fucked, stay safe Anon.
>>
>>13059897
Dont come to Australia.
Also no jobs
>>
>>13059878
How attainable is staying in academia? Do I need to be getting full marks in everything?
>>
>>13059953
No idea to be honest. I'm a biochemist, analytical/physical chemists are the closest I ever come to physicists at uni.

>>13059950
>no jobs
I didn't believe you because I hear the EEs are doing fine so I double checked on seek and found this job ad https://www.seek.com.au/job/52146287
>Please apply with your:
>CV/resume (doesn’t need to be traditional – just sell yourself)
>Like our Facebook and Instagram page.
tfw you have neither facebook nor instagram and can't apply for a job. Of course it's in the pozzed capital of Australia.
>>
>>13059556
I was thinking of working in R&D roles in engineering companies for my career.
I have already received admit for applied math at a prestigious uni, might do a PhD after Masters. Maybe that will help.
What did you suggest anon?
>>
>>13059897
US
>>
>>13060034
>R&D roles in engineering companies for my career
yeah those jobs are disappearing, that's what I'm saying, nowadays they just partner with a university and get a Ph.d or postdoc to do the work for much less, so make sure you actually know of companies willing to hire you before you embark on this path

I'm already doing applied math at a good uni and what I see is that if I just become a normal SWE programmer, I will have a higher salary and 10000x the job market. Whereas jobs that actually use applied math are scarce and they pay as good as a web developer.
>>
Highschooler here. Are there any garbage "STEM" degrees that I need to stay away from? Like whats the STEM version of gender studies?
>>
>>13060390
computer science
>>
>>13060390
almost all STEM is garbage-tier in comparison to CS and engineering degrees, but it depends on your local job market
>>
>>13060390
biology, unless you have a nichè career ambition or intend on GPA maxing for medical school/ any other professional school
>>
File: 1619118694192.png (26 KB, 1153x945)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
Are there any services or professionals that can help you set up your cv, your linkedin profile, etc. And help you find suitable jobs to apply to?
Like some sort of job hunting coach that'll guide you through everything.
I really need one I am complete dogshit at this job hunting shit.
>>
>>13060503
any university has a department for that shit, they also help alumni
>>
>>13060462
Are there any engineering degrees to avoid?
>>
>>13060503
This >>13060507. I emailed the 'Science career advisory' girl at my university a copy of resume and she returned an edited version with better formating.
>>
>>13060507
>>13060569
Is this an american thing? My uni definitely does not have that.
>>
>>13060051
Thanks anon, you gave me lot to think about
>>
>>13060607
Maybe, I am Canadian and just assumed that you weren't a 3rd worlder.
>>
>>13060512
Chemical and Electrical.

Civil is the best followed by industrial
>>
>>13053022
Ok so I'm in a sort of bizarre situation

My professor said he had no choice but to report me for academic dishonesty because I cited a source incorrectly. This affected a very minor part of the minor assignment.

Despite his claim that he reported me, I never heard from the Office of Academic Integrity at my university. No email or anything like that, no "hearing."

Is it safe for me to assume that this isn't going to show up on a record for grad school, and I don't have to disclose any of this?

As far as I can tell the only repercussion was that I lost 2 points on that assignment from the professor, but I still got an A in his class. And like I said, no communication whatsoever from the dean or whatever. I just don't know what could be on my "record."
>>
>>13060987
It's BS lol there are zero repurcussions from citing incorrectly, at most he can tell you to change it and mark you down. He wants to scare you because he's a faggot.
>>
>>13060390
Biology
Chemistry
Any “technology” degree
>>
>>13060512
Aerospace, biomedical, or anything else that’s super niche. The competition is bonkers and there are only a handful of companies you can work at. The holy trinity is electrical, mechanical, and civil. Do one of those, get your PE and you’ll never worry about employment.
>>
>>13060995
The thing is though, I took a look at the form that Profs have to fill out to report academic integrity infractions, and exactly what I did is listed on the form as a checkbox category.

So he probably really did report me, but I guess I'm just wondering whether it's safe to assume this isn't going on a "record" because I never got any kind of letter or official notice from anyone about it.

In the policy, they say that students accused of violating the policy are entitled to email notice from the dean. And I never got one. The policy also says that "minor instances" can be "resolved in the academic setting" or some shit, but the prof is still "required to report."

So I guess I'm just being paranoid, and I guess the point deduction was the "resolution in the academic setting."

I'm paranoid as fuck this will show up later but I guess it would be in violation of their own policies.

I hate this leftist hellscape where we have to be morally scrupulous and politically correct about everything.
>>
In “It’s a Wonderful Life” Jimmy Stewart’s character dreams of being a Civil Engineer but ends up having to “settle” for owning a bank. Crazy times huh?
>>
>>13059203
>You shouldn't have to be an overachieving mini genius with a workhorse mentality just to carve a tiny slice of life.

>WAAAAA! Whaddya mean I need to have TALENT?
>>
How To Spot A Shitter Engineer In Undergrad

-Bro, I still don’t have a job even though I sent out, like, 6 applications.

-Bro, I gotta take this 18 credit semester so I can graduate “on time”. Hope it doesn’t hurt my GPA

-Scholarships? Man I’m never going to get one of those, not gonna bother applying

-Nah no internship this summer, I’m gonna see some concerts and play video games

-My dad said engineering would be a safe pick

-Dude, that engineering association membership is $20! Oh hey let’s go get a 12 pack

-I’m only applying to fortune 20 companies, fuck working anywhere else

-What’s a portfolio?

-Why should I take the FE? I’m never going to need a license

-Nah it’s only the beginning of senior year, I’m not going to start looking till it’s almost graduation time

-Fuck man, I can’t get a job. Guess I’ll apply to grad school to buy me some more time.
>>
>>13061032
>I'm paranoid as fuck this will show up later but I guess it would be in violation of their own policies.
Nah it won't. If you think that there is a list or a databank or something there isn't.
>>
>>13057154
which side are you interested in, the software or hardware side? I work in embedded, more on the software side but there is a pretty big divide between the 2, at least in my industry, I'm sure at smaller companies you can wear more hats and do both but generally you don't. Anyways no I don't think it's garbage, I mean ECE is basically destined for embedded, sort of the point?
>>
>>13059733
The end of ageing would be the worst thing that ever happened to humanity. Imagine slaving away for the soros's and rothschild's of this world FOREVER. The very fact that you think this is desirable is proof you will never do anything of merit, you are so blind you cannot even see what is infront of you.
>>
>>13061052
You should need talent to live a dignified life? What are you a fucking moron? Kill yourself retard and never post in one of these threads again.
>>
>>13057711
machine looks analytical, similar shape to Renishaws, so some form of chem or physics overlap
>>
>>13061039
I thought it was a mortgage house or something rather than a bank per se?
>>
File: misattributed quote.png (210 KB, 683x319)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>13062040
No.
If you're too much of a retard to reach FI/RE before middle age you have no one to blame but yourself.
>>
File: chin man.jpg (62 KB, 1200x800)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>13062540
>>
>>13055205
Do you want an all-knowing grandpappy to babysit your work, or a former grad student under a lot of stress who might actually remember your name?
>>
>>13062043
>You should need talent to live a dignified life?
>>
According to my advisor, I will be able to take a ton of extra classes during my degree to get a minor in mathematics along with EE. Problem is, I'm not confident I can do the higher level math classes for the math minor. What is another minor I can choose to go with EE?
>>
>>13060975
W-what's the problem with electrical
>>
>>13063006
No jobs
>>
>>13061377
>>13061032
To be clear; if you don't see it printed on your transcript (you should be able to download this from your student portal at any time) then you will never see it again. Universities only look at your transcript.
>>
>>13063766
>>13060975
Plenty of ChemE and EE jobs in Australia. These things are pretty region dependent.
>>
>>13063766
This is absolutely bullshit in every Western country
>>
>>13063766
Maybe if you want pure EE that's only about electronics hardware. EE overlaps nicely with SWE, CE, or any analytical technical field. Giving you way more doors.
>>
>>13063807
Yes.
>>13063822
No, it is worst in America.
>>13063826
SWE and CE used to be what kept EE afloat 20 years ago, but now there are so many SWE and CE graduates that you can't get hired with an EE degree anymore.

A lot of EEs will reply to my post saying they can transition because they took two progranning class PLUS and embedded systems class or whatever, but it's all cope. Those posters are unemployed.
>>
>>13063849
This is all bullshit, really.
EE is still the primary education for electronics, and there really are tons of jobs. I don't know which world you are living in. The best CE courses are the ones that most closely mimic electronics, and EE is pretty much always a safe bet
>>
>>13062945
do CS, why the fuck would you minor in math, lol
>>
>>13062540
Lol if you imagine they would let you ever retire if they knew they could work you indefinitely then you are in for a rude awakening.

Also I for sure earn more than you, I'm not worried about my own retirement, what about people less fortunate than me. You selfish fucking bastard grow a heart and then grow a brain faggot.
>>
>>13062607
Well then I hope you never suffer any misfortunes in your life that affect your earning potential you stupid fucking dickhead
>>
>>13061118
Well, what is a portfolio?
>>
>>13063849
well i for one dont think much of this post is true at all
>>
File: 1572929326480.jpg (10 KB, 251x201)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Is risk analysis/management a good career path? How can I transition into this field from pure maths?
>>
>>13060987
Did you post this on academia stackechange too?
https://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/167038/should-i-report-this-infraction-on-masters-applications
>>
>>13056802
Yes. Industry needs people with solid state physics (such as fabs), and that means academia cannot be too feudal since then everyone would just leave.
>>
>>13057355
Go for a startup while you are young and can take the risk, you will regret not trying it if you don't. Later on you can go for big defence.
There is a lot of money circulating in defence but salaries and profits are not great since the overheads are insanely huge.
>>
>>13057711
The strange warning sign suggests strong magnetic fields are involved, I guess NMR of some form.
>>
Why major in Computer Engineering over Electrical Engineering? Or Aerospace over Mechanical? And so on.

Are there benefits to specializing in a field so early?
>>
>>13064483
Not really
>>
>>13063849
Power. It’s not glamorous, but you’ll always have a job.
>>
>>13063976
>t. schizo tranny
>>
File: 1529129681575.jpg (54 KB, 793x786)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>13060924
>And just assumed you weren't a third worlder
>>
>>13064718
I work as a power engineer and I absolutely hate it.
Really looking to get into signals and systems right now, any tips?
>>
>>13063943
idk thats what my advisor said. a minor in CS sounds way better. great idea.
>>
>>13053236
100% you need to go to graduate school to get noticed by the government to research nuclear weapons
>>
>>13064794
why do you hate it? im aiming for power. havent started any classes. I live in a town with a nuclear reactor and thought i could easily find a job.
>>
>>13064810
I work in an engineering procurement and construction company and most of what I do is involving industrial plants.
I'm in the electrical studies team (load flow, oof, fault analysis, etc) and it's just so damn fucking boring I hate it.
I really want to do signal processing, I Love programming and I have extensive education in math, much more so than your tipical EE.
>>
>>13053040
EE/CS
EE cause its interesting.
CS so you can actually get a job.
>>
>>13064823
Signal processing takes a good knowledge of math? do you do any coding with your power engineering courses? Ive done some coding and generally enjoy it. I didnt want to go 100% for it because i didnt want to sit at a computer ALL day.
>>
>>13059483
>which is now harder to do because university education is becoming more specialized
In that case a PhD is the optimal approach.
>>
>>13059510
Once we defeat ageing and we all get basic pay, we can go back to Greek style studies where we are dully dedicated to our studies and need not concern ourselves with trivialities such as student loans, debpt etc.
I didn't expect I would get rich from my PhD or as postdoc but I must admit the dire pay surprised me. As a postdoc I was quite unable to service my debt from the student loans, and went to industry.

These days I have a comfortable salary, no debt, job security etc. With basic pay I would still be a researcher.
>>
>>13064851
Im not a power engineering major I just had to take a bunch of power related classes during my undergrad.
Yeah signal processing takes very deep knowledge of math and statistics.
It's probably the most beautiful and fascinating discipline in engineering.
>>
>>13064025
A collection of large projects that can stand in for employment experience. It also gives you something to talk about in the CV and interview, bonus points for being memorable.
>>
>>13065184
I'm deep into HDL's and always wanted to do more signal processing but one project implementing modulation was enough to turn me off.
>>
>>13055849
>I like designing electronics in KiCAD, choosing components, reading datasheets

Just tell them that. They have more knowledge than you, they know where those skills are applicable better than you do
>>
>>13064947
I don't think you understood what he was saying.

In the past you could do any STEM degree and then bail into a career that requires logical thinking like programming or corporate management. And that was easily done because there were enough jobs.
Nowadays there are so many CS graduates and so many business graduates that you really cannot do that anymore, at least not easily.

So in the past it was not a bad career path to do STEM as you had good options if you wanted to drop out of academia but today you don't.

A PhD only makes it worse honestly. There are so many PhDs seeking jobs in industry right now. You'd be better off doing a CS conversion masters.
>>
>>13065184
I didn't mean to say power engineering courses, I meant to ask if you do any coding with your job. When I get started on my courses I should be given a sample of all the subfields. Ill have to keep signal processing in mind because my uni offers a specialization in that if I want. Im not a math whiz though, which is why I was thinking about power.
>>
>>13059897
USA, specifically the DC suburbs
>>
>>13064794
Start learning software defined radio. Cheap, intuitive, and you learn Tx/Rx design
>>
>>13065559
I do some simulations with ETAP, I also sometimes use MATLAB for some minor bullshit but because I feel like it not because I need it.
My advice would be not going into something because some dude in the internet told you, go into what you consider best, if you like power then that's awesome, an always remember that in EE you'll always have work, specially in Germany (I assume you're in germany as you mentioned a nuclear plant, maybe france?)
>>
>>13065617
Thanks I'll look into it
>>
>>13055863
There are real data science roles that are not memes, but they're at elite boutique firms and tech conglomerates and require respectable pedigree.
>>
>>13062555
Also the opportunity to make a name for yourself
>>
>>13057472
>>13057286
If it's been more than a week since your last correspondence then it totally fine to reach out to HR and ask about your status. Doing so will not hurt your chances and may help them by showing increased interest.
>>
>>13064100
Passing the intro actuarial exams will give you instant street cred and interview time

Pay ~$100 for a service like Actex that will guarantee you pass; the math isn't very complicated at all but you're expected to know certain time value of money formulas off the top of your head for the FM exam.
>>
>>13064810
Power is the EE equivalent of HVAC or Waste Water

It’s the most mundane, excel driven subject that is essentially cookbook engineering.
>>
>>13065655
Oh yea, I keep that in mind, that everyones abilities and preferences differ but i like to ask about and read about EEs experience in the field and school. Its kind of hard to get a feel of what people actually do in their jobs to guess if I can see myself doing it. Tried looking at videos on youtube of what a power engineer does but there werent many all i got out of it was that they walk around a plant and check knobs and readouts. Descriptions are also kinda broad.
I actually live in the US so being where im at i think im i have a good opportunity if im interested in power. the local uni here specifically gears students to work at the power plant and laboratory.

>>13065777
just a dream but i thought maybe i could work on smart power stuff. automating power usage. I am really interested to start my classes and see what everything is about.
>>
>>13065813
If you absolutely want to, I can give you my discord handle and we can have a call about it, you could ask any questions you may have. But keep in mind I'm only an entry level power engineer.
>>
>>13065711
Awesome, they did say to not hesitate to ask any questions so I did ask them if they wanted a recommendation letter my signals prof sent me, which I really want to send since it's probably the nicest thing someone has ever said about me.
>>
Wow real is the academic circlejerk meme?
If I get a PhD from a school ranked, lets say, 100th in its field, will I not be able to get a position at a good uni? Is this just a university thing and I would be able to get a good position at a research lab or corp, provided I have a good amount/quality of publications?
>>
File: tinkerdeeznuts.jpg (71 KB, 642x362)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
If I think breadboard projects, discrete electronics, RC cars, robot competitions (exclude Boston Dynamics), and other hobby / tinkering electronics shit are absolute dilbert-tier mundane boring garbage dooming anyone interested to prolonged involuntary celibacy, should I even bother with EECS? Physics, Math, and Chemistry are all stupendous however. Software's cool but want to not be fucking useless when a computer's absent.
>>
>>13065771
Thanks anon. I've done two courses on life insurance maths and that shit's pretty easy. I'm not sure I want to be just an actuary though, it seems like a pretty formulaic job.
>>
Dudes but unironically how do I get past the HR phase of interviews? They always ask me what I do on the weekends and what type of work environment I one but really I don't do jack shit on weekends and just want a job.
>>
>>13066249
>seems like a pretty formulaic job
Without a doubt, this is what turned me away from it as well.

Actuaries have great pay, great hours, and great vertical mobility. The work can be stimulating but it's standard for entry level employees to do review work for several years. You will literally just double check the work of a more senior actuary. All in all it's one of the best "office" jobs you can get.

"Data Science" is not a meme at large personal insurance companies and banks like All State, State Farm, Bank of America, or Capital One. In lieu of actuaries they employ a large number of higher educated statisticians to build risk models that are far more complicated and technologically relevant compared to a lot of the excel plug and chug you'll find at an actuarial firm.
>>
>>13053250
I am in the US and this is true.
Most CS programs do not prepare you for graduate studies. Even ABET accredited programs. Applied or computational math with one class of programming experience an one course on algorithms will leave you better prepared and you will immediately meet all pre reqs. If you aren't a shitbag and actually fill your electives with CS core courses, you will destroy CS students unless they went to a program that actually asks them to go beyond calc II.
There are too many fluff and useless courses in CS programs these days that actually belong in an IT degree. Maybe over time the terms are just changing, and in 20 years a CS degree will be what today is an IT degree, with computational mathematics becoming what CS was in the 80s.
>>
>>13066095
Yea I have a general curiosity about the work though I realize it will be different than what I would end up doing at a nuclear facility. Like what do you figure out, or what are your tasks? How do you use what you learned about electricity for your job? If you want to drop your discord thats fine. I might message you some questions. Thanks.
>>
File: wojak_empty.jpg (106 KB, 600x600)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>tfw civil grad
>>
>>13066584
chin-up brother, take up architecture and sculpting
>>
>>13053022
Just got a bachelor's degree in math but wtf am I actually going to do with it?
>>
>>13064790
never post in one of these threads again faggot
>>
>>13066555
smichelena#7629
>>
>>13066608
become a quant or SWE
>>
Math BSc chads. What do with this useless degree? I'm almost done
>>
>>13066584
Get a job with the government and enjoy having a career for life.
>>
>>13060390
SEM is all garbage. Tech is employable, but you only need community college for that. Only degree worth getting is computer science or software engineering, but community colleges now have web dev and database diplomas now.
>>
>>13066799
Finance is so dreadfully dull for me, so I guess swe it is
>>
>>13066825
Could pivot into a lot of things if you're not a sperg without extracurriculars
>>
Anons, I'm an Indian currently in my last year of CS degree. Officially graduating in a week or two. I had applied to many master's programmes in the US, Canada and UK but didn't get in any good ones. Here's some more info about me:
-Good grades
-Good research experience
-Zero industrial experience
I'm very depressed right now. Will apply to master's programmes again this year. But in the meantime I don't have any job offer. Should I try to get research internships in foreign universities or organisations until next year? Is this possible?
>>
Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask but anyone can give me some overview in what kind of paths I can do to develop my career if I'm good enough at Internet Network and Customer Service? Is getting into Cloud Industry as an 'architect' (I'm guessing this is just a fancy term for someone who set up databases/business softwares/servers etc using online data center such as AWS/GCP etc) a profitable job / business? I don't care if it's killing my soul as long as I don't have to work 50+hour work weeks

I'm experienced in ISP and Contact Center Industry as a helldesk agent and I think it's time for me to move on because I pretty much already mastered most technical stuffs in my job. I don't want to get into academia though, thanks in advance
>>
>>13060512
Anything with the word technology attached to it.
>>
Doing a math degree.
Is a 15 credit CS cognate enough to get into the field, as well as graduate studies?
>>
>>13067500
Do whatever it takes to get onto US soil. Once your here, you can make it very difficult to get sent back.
>>
>>13053022
I'm studying pharmaceutical chem, am I doomed to work at a pharmacy?
>>
>>13067843
Yeah but that’s not a bad thing
>>
>>13066584
Just manage poop bro
>>
>>13061032
you will get expelled, it happens all the time, its normal, get over it
i had a friend that went through the same
he cited a source incorrectly
the teacher reported him as part of his duty, brushed it off and told him it was going to be ok, but a month or so later he got an email letting him know he was expelled
>>
Are any fields in biology worth it? Specifically molecular biology
>>
>>13067838
How? Doesn't getting into a crap college for Master's degree decrease the chances of getting an H1B visa? Or were you implying that I should become a refugee?
>>
>>13067973
Both, either. Get here and hustle. If you are actually worth a shit you won’t go back. The American Dream is real.
>>
>>13068049
Well you are right about that. It is certainly possible to be successful. One could work a lower tier job and eventually progress to a higher tier. I could even apply to community college.
But these things take time and my parents are growing old and will retire soon. So I'll really need to get my shit together by the time I'm 28
>>
>>13067500
Stay out of Canada, Rajesh.
>>
>>13068178
Nope. I shall consider all options
>>
>>13067622
>>13068214
cant wait to start killing you shitskins that come invade white countries
>>
>>13060607
I just checked the sites of the 3 unis I went to and they all had it. Some where were better than others and had 1 on 1 meetings while one was just online submissions or online workshops.
>>
>>13066211
My understanding is that being at a better uni = better opportunities, more likely to have higher IF publications and high ranking co-authors = better CV for being hired at a good uni.
Being at a lower ranked uni doesn't preclude you from doing those things but you'll have to make up for the difference yourself.
>>
>>13067500
Is it from an Indian university?
If I see a degree from an indian/chinese university I weight it down to the equivalent of someone else having completed high school. The uni education in those countries is awful you have to hand-hold them for years before they can even remotely start working for themselves and most never even become as a good as a fresh grad from a western uni.
>>
>>13067843
>pharmaceutical chem
Is that just what your uni calls medicinal chem or is that what they call their pharmacy course?
I studied medicinal chem and got a job in the R&D department of a medical devices manufacturer. One coworkers is an organometallic chemist and another is a polymer chemist. There's roles where they don't really care what your specialisation is so much as that you have chemistry knowledge because you're going to be doing novel generalist shit anyway.
>>
>>13067908
Yes if you're going into bio molecular biology is the best option. Feels like every job I see posted is for a molecular biologist, biochemist and sometimes microbiologist. An organic chemist friend of mine mentioned the same thing during his jobsearch so I'm not the only one who noticed.
This is Australia so might differ where you are, check the job boards.

In terms of future positions I feel that biotech is going to be the next big employer. Pharma is mature which means efficient which means they only need to employ a minimal number. Biotech is still in the early stages of ramping up, lots of new products only coming onto market within the last 5 years.
>>
>>13059173
where i am almost all the pajeets bombed out of EE in 3rd year and switched to CS/software dev.
>>
>>13068870
Yes. But is it seriously considered that bad? I know it's nowhere near Western level but it's not high school level either
>>
>>13060503
>a bunch of straw men
Nice straw men!
>>
>>13068958
I'm probably particularly harsh about it because I value critical thinking above other things in a professional position and despite working with a lot of people from both countries I've never met anyone with the slightest critical thinking skills. If I wanted someone who can only follow instructions I'd rather hire some local person at minimum wage and train them up.
>>
>>13067875
>the teacher reported him as part of his duty, brushed it off and told him it was going to be ok, but a month or so later he got an email letting him know he was expelled
no chance, they don't expel you for citing a source in correctly lol, the WORST that happens is you get a failing grade for the assignment. What will probably happen is you will have points deducted.

You get expelled for multiple minor infractions like getting caught copying your friends hw or something grossly fraudulent like presenting portions of something already published as your own. They're not going to expel someone for attempting to show due credit lol
>>
>>13069947
i wish that reality were as benign as you depict it to be
>>
>>13069949
Even if the prof had a hardon and wanted to fuck you over, you would be sent to a university tribunal outside of the department's control who undoubtedly give you a warning and say do not let it happen again
>>
>>13068848
If your school is namebrand they're going to have a career department that will help you out. Even shit tier universities have decent career departments
>>
>>13068958
I think I know what the other anon meant, while the actual school quality can vary over there, the graduates they produce are shit across the board.

I'm not trying to discredit anything about India, but I will say as an American working in American companies with American clients, working with Indians fucking sucks. There's something about the professional culture that makes them act strange, they're hard to communicate with. Working with them on anything is like pulling teeth. That goes for the younger ones, older ones are bros. I'm also not familiar enough with the geography, could be a difference in regional cultures as well.
>>
>>13067500
Damn bro. I have a similar profile (although I'm from LatAm). Did you go to a good uni (IITs), what was your ranking and did your reserach yielded a paper?
>>
Is a PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences worth it?

What would I work on if I get it? Not even Google has any info.
>>
Are recommendation letters good for getting jobs?
I got a professor to write me a recommendation letter for this job in applying to and God damnit it's probably the best thing someone's ever said about me
>>
>>13068668
I only ask for opinions to get better job anon and also don't worry I never want to invade white countries because being born from my country already mean I'm banned from most developed world lol, even an Indian/African has better chances to invade your country than me
>>
>>13068668
Based.
>>
>>13053040
I know a guy who dual majored in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It's tough as shit but if you pull it off you'll be a literal god.
>>
>>13056681
You have two options:
1. Turn 28 and get your degree.
2. Turn 28 and don't get your degree.

You'll be 28 either way. If you want to do a degree, then do one.
>>
>>13059897
Get a Master's degree (or PhD, if you REALLY want to) in the US in one of the following fields:
> Electrical Engineering
> Computer Engineering
> Computer Science

Bust your ass, get good grades, and make an asston of money.

Pic related: salary info (EE/CPE - not separated by major or region of the country) from the school I went to. Note that it's a state school and not MIT, Stanford, etc.
>>
>>13065617
>>13065657
Recommendation from >>>/diy/ham:
https://www.analog.com/en/education/education-library/software-defined-radio-for-engineers.html
>>
>>13070900
>I know a guy who dual majored in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It's tough as shit but if you pull it off you'll be a literal god.
Why do people in this board say the dumbest shit? There's little to no purpose in getting a double major and a double major won't make you into a "god"
>t. Math/EE double major
>>
>>13071056
This. Dual majors are a meme. The only acceptable exceptions are dual majoring in business or a foreign language. You are better off taking masters level courses instead.
>>
>>13071129
>You are better off taking masters level courses instead.
Exactly, doing this is more useful, way more.
>>
I just got a interview opportunity for ConEd, I have never done any interviews before, what the fuck do I do anons pls
>>
>>13071554
Just be yourself
>>
>>13067212
Study Machine Learning friend, it's a fantastic mix of math and software eng. while being a filter for webshits and standard programming faggots
>>
>>13070251
If you need to ask whether a PhD is worth it it's probably not for you. Don't just do it because it seems like the next thing to do. You should be doing a PhD because you either have something that drives you and that's what you want to do no matter what even if it means being forever poor to pursue your interests (but you should be top tier and working with a well regarded group so that that won't be your future). Or you already have a path you're planning to head down and they need you to have a PhD qualification (i.e. you're already working in Pharma and to get the next promotion a BS/MS isn't enough).
If neither of those apply to you don't waste your time. I'd also suggest something closer to biochem rather than pharma since biotech is growing while pharma is shrinking.
>>
Should I go with a cs/math or a data science/AI bachelor If I want to work as a data *scientist* ?
>>
How are jobs for Micro Biologist or any Biologist job, I'm interested in lab/Genetics
Interested in starting college in a year or so and I'll have a Associates in general studies.
>>
Physics undergrad at a big public research Canadian uni. I like doing it but wanted to know what my options are in industry bros
>>
>>13072008
Dont do this. You are not on a date although that still wouldnt work on a date. Make them realise that you meet all the requirements they want. The hiring managers dont want to stick around to interview everyone.
>>
>>13053022
I should not have dropped from chemistry faculty in favor of CS.

Protip: if you have the slightest interest in anything besides IT shiet - switch to this thing.
>>
>>13073716
weather forecasting is always an option fren, and quite a big one

you wouldn't believe many of my friends moved to germany/swiss to forecast earthquakes and floods
>>
I hope this is the right place to ask but what happens with the majority of ppl who have majored in CS/IT and start working as developers when they get older? Statistically speaking only a small number will become managers or team leads. What happens with a regular developer with a CS degree when he enters his 40s or 50s?
>>
>>13053261
Got any stories?
>>
>stem UG
>work for a bit teaching because no jobs
>stem PG
>work for year at university now because no jobs

>mfw this is a fucking meme

>run into old childhood friend
>dropped out at 15
>he is in his 30s and just learned how to use excel
>he has a 6 figure job at a tech startup

These fuckers wont even let me get past the CV screen stage what the hell

also:

>first round phone interview
>its a woman
>she has no idea about anything stem
>somehow she rejects you based on stuff that cannot possibly be related to the job because she has no idea about any of it

>tfw english majors out earning your 0 salary

>tfw a guy who started work at 16 at mc donalds probably owns multiple homes, has 3 children a wife and a car meanwhile you're unemployed living with your parents spent 25+ years in education no children no wife or gf

I think the only plus side is that the mc dicks guy is paying for my degrees with his taxes

uprising when
>>
>>13071016
this is literally just not true

What you're looking at is a self selected high iq group of males who were intent on trying to get rich,

they incidentally have STEM post graduate degrees

also the majority of phds are done in fields with no expectation of earnings like history etc

if you look closer at say a specific subject, you will find phd out earning masters by a long shot

Starting salary for msc in machine learning is 30-60k, but for a phd its 400,000-25,000,000 with equity when in industry,

for academia the msc salary is almost the same as the phd at about 20k
>>
What does everyone think of a degree in Bioengineering?
>Consistently rated as worst engineering degree
>Companies prefer ChemEs to BioEs 90% of the time
>Jack of all trades, master of none. Could just hire a ChemE or a Doctor instead

Surely there is something to salvage this degree?
>>
>>13073432
What is the best path into the Biotech industry? That is basically what I am in it for.

I was thinking either Biochem, ChemE, or BioE
>>
>>13075671
Bioinformatics can
>>
>>13075500
You're bad at interviews
>>
>>13060390
Chemistry, biology, zoology, marine biology, physics, math, biochemistry, chemical engineering, and so on.
As someone who went for chemistry. It's not worth the measly pay.
>>
>>13075686
For the love of god, don't do ChE.
You'll want to die.
>>
It's been almost two years since I decided CS isn't for me anons. It's too difficult to find an entry-level job in Linux or OS. Everything else is banal. I fucked up my interview with a major firm for Linux Systems Engineer and I feel awful. Since then I've got my EMT and I've been working on an ambulance. Shit pay but anons it's actually fulfilling. I'm going to be a police officer. Still want to go back to school for a Masters in CE or EE, or maybe something else. Wish me luck.
>>
>>13075851
for some phds any others when they give feedback they said I shone at the interview

I am naturally charismatic and have presented at the university of oxford in the theoretical physics building. I also taught for 5 years or so because no jobs after 4k+ applications,

when you teach you do nothing but talk and talk to strangers and people all day, and explain stuff
>>
Mathfag here. Just got my bachelors but unfortunately am not in the position to pursue an advanced degree at this time.
If there are any statsfags or datascifags reading this, would a basic understanding of descriptive and inferential statistics, along with having taken a course in regression analysis and some programming (two intro to comp sci courses + data structures and algorithms) be enough to get a job as a data analyst or data scientist, if I have a few programming and data analysis projects to showcase my knowledge / skills? I also have a bachelor's in biology, if that helps. It just seems that everywhere I look is requiring a master's degree for data science jobs.
>>
>>13076518
analyst is minimum 5 years experience, data science is 15+ years and phd from a tier one

and no one cares about your undergrad lmao

>few programming courses

You need either a CS post grad or self taught from child with actual commercial projects

a 15 year old in rural india can do those certs and courses you've done
>>
>>13059425
can you expand upon this? applied math is my dream career but it seems limited.
>>
>>13075094
Sure.
Essentially you have to get out of programming before you are 35, and the only way is management of some form or switch fields completely.
the SW industry is beholden to some strange views on fashion, where you fire the old people rather than retrain them for whatever new languages top management heard about this week. Attrition rate is huge.
>>
>>13075500
Bad HR is not new, I had a bad experience with one that had no idea about the difference between BSc and PhD. How they got hired is hard to understand.

Anyways, considered doing your own startup?
>>
File: 8c6.gif (443 KB, 480x238)
443 KB
443 KB GIF
>>13076546
Either shitty bait or reading comprehension, either way
<=
>>
>>13076893
I hope this isn't the case. I just quit my job to finish my CS degree in a year and will be 34 when finished.
>>
File: 4Go30.jpg (48 KB, 620x281)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>13076902
>PhD. How they got hired is hard to understand.

>interviewing for data sci job
>hr woman sounds 25 and is possibly 22
>asks me about models, convergence, fitting

>explain traversing the surface of hyperbolic surfaces toward local minima, illustrate parameter searches for momentum and width dimensionality of neurobiologically constrained neural network architectures

>she mumbles b...but you un...under stand w..www.what convergence is right?

>look her email name up on linkedin
>generic shit iter qs 2000 school
>arts degree
>coffee shop
>hr intern
>hr internal
>coursera in ML
>hr interal

>>13075094
its over for boomers, they are monkies to the guys born into computers

the guy born in the darkness at 40 is going to be a literal god if not billionaire

The reason programming is over for 50 year olds is because they were too late. in there day they were ahead because no one computer.

>>13077438
its too late for you and consider suicide/prostitution,
to be CS you need to train from child, like languages your brain is plastic. by 14 is already over and you have closed off. at 30 you're competing against high schoolers with more experience than you, its literally over.
>>
File: 1619676628258.gif (933 KB, 240x135)
933 KB
933 KB GIF
>EE undergrad, CS minor, burger, shitty state school, 3.19 overall gpa, 3.51 major, will have 3.49/3.7 if straight As and if I did the math right
>was planning on graduating spring of 2023
>looked at the numbers again, realize i could manage spring 2022
>want to go to grad school
>trying to do research with prof who agreed to hire me but he's been waiting on grant for fucking ever
>no previous research, no internships
does it make sense to just take an extra year for undergrad to try and get as much research experience as possible?
babying my gpa isn't an issue, ive taken 18 hours of major classes while working as a lab instructor and managed a 4.0, i can do it
>>
>>13077458
What are your qualifications and experiences in life and industry?
Honestly, this read post reads as the thoughts of a deeply troubled mind.
>>
>>13077471
Stem tier two almost one, Stem PG tier one program tier two inst, tier one supervisor

experience just in academia

cannot into industry because dumb whores in hr screening

A classmate of mine NANA 40BN project leader phd at 21 two decades ago in satellite, tier one uni space program experience for 10 years

>applies for same job as me, entry in AI
>hr screen him
>dumb blonde slut 25 years old english major at tier two calls him
>she flags him fails competency, doesn't even second round

I watched this guy compute DEs on deep ML models for bio neural network models by sounding the mathematics aloud and reading from his head, even the German comp neuro scholar who set the problems was dumbfounded

>dumb slut calls me
>charm her
>mention absolutely nothing about ml or comp neuro, not a single architecture or model
>passes me to next round
>

inb4 cheaper
these faggots have literally unlimited budget and I suspect this slut was getting mid 6 and sucking off one of the ceos
>>
>>13077466
Going to grad school the same place you went to undergrad is cringe. Nail the 3.5+ GPA, crush the GRE and apply to someplace better than your attending now. You don’t want to be intellectually inbred.
>>
>>13073663
Would help if you mentioned region. It's pretty ok where I am in Australia, more jobs than chemistry or physics. But microbiologist work is kind of lame (for me) I'm not into spending my day looking at cell colonies and repeatedly running the same tests over and over again.
>>
>>13077515
>Going to grad school the same place you went to undergrad is cringe.
thanks for the advice but i wasnt planning to
>>
>>13075686
Biochem/molecular bio. Usually the job ads I see for ChemE they'll also take a scientist as long as they have bioreactor setup experience. If you want to be in R&D go biochem, if you want to be in NPI/scale-up go ChemE. BioE I don't see any point to, you'll be more niche and still competing against ChemEs anyway.
>>
>>13077515
but on the subject of the GRE, does crushing it significantly help my application? i felt that some schools were moving away from it, which sucks because i am a phenomenal test taker, im sure i could get 98 percentile after a couple tries
>>
>>13077521
If you are going to take an extra year you might as well do grad school. You could be like halfway done.
>>
>>13077466
>does it make sense to just take an extra year for undergrad to try and get as much research experience as possible?
I'm not American so not familiar with your system. Can't you still get the research experience after graduating? When we hired our research assistant she was still finishing up research with her old group for about a year and a half after joining us.
>>
>>13077539
Some schools are but much like applying for undergrad your gonna pick 3 and at least two of those schools are going to want you to take the GRE.
>>
>>13075535
(1/2)
>this is literally just not true
You haven't read through my comment.

>What you're looking at is a self selected high iq group of males who were intent on trying to get rich,
1. You are right, STEM grad students a pretty selective group of people.
2. They aren't necessarily "intent on trying to get rich". Graduate school in America is a valid way to get rich, but that's not the only reason you do it.
3. About 40-45% of these graduate students are female actually, at least at my school. The gender balance for Indian engineering students is very different than for American engineering students (I'm not sure why to be honest). MS students are almost all Indian. PhD students are pretty mixed (Chinese, Indian, American, etc. but it varies heavily by lab).

>they incidentally have STEM post graduate degrees
This isn't incidental. My comment ***only*** considers such people. The poster I replied to has an undergraduate engineering degree and wants to leave India. He is the exact sort of person who might like to do a graduate degree abroad.

>also the majority of phds are done in fields with no expectation of earnings like history etc
Your statement is correct, but it doesn't apply to this conversation. My comment only addressed people getting degrees in computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering.

>if you look closer at say a specific subject, you will find phd out earning masters by a long shot
That depends on the industry and the person's career path. Looking at the statistics for my school, I see a difference but not a huge one.
You also have to consider the opportunity cost - a Master's student is done in 1.5 years, while a PhD will take 5 or more years. During those 3.5+ years, the person with a Master's degree is making wads of cash.
>>
>>13075535
>>13077575
(2/2)
>Starting salary for msc in machine learning is 30-60k, but for a phd its 400,000-25,000,000 with equity when in industry,
I've never heard of anyone with an MS (in any EE/CPE/CS field) making that little in an industry job. $60k is something a BS graduate might start at in the deep South or somewhere like that.
If you have a PhD, $400k starting requires a really solid publication record and a job at a top company (from what I understand). Nobody is getting $25MM unless they get lucky at a startup or they get into a VERY high up position at a tech company.

>for academia the msc salary is almost the same as the phd at about 20k
Do you mean PhD stipends or postdoc salaries? For PhD stipends that sounds about right, maybe a bit low.
Master's students don't get salaries or stipends like PhD students do. They typically do summer internships (avg. $36/hr at my school) or have the degree paid for by their employer while taking courses part-time.
>>
>>13077575
>a Master's student is done in 1.5 years, while a PhD will take 5 or more years
What the fuck America? Here a master's is 1-2 years depending on if it's babby coursework or research and a PhD is 3 (up to 6 years if you go part-time like me). Why do your PhDs take so long?
>>
>>13077547
but i dont want to go to the same school as undergrad, cant i just take some 5000 classes? plus im pretty sure paying for your masters is lame
>>13077550
any american want to confirm or deny this? does it depend? i can ask the prof i guess
>>
>>13077587
In the US, an MS (in EE/CPE/CS at least, I don't know about other fields) requires ~10 courses and possibly a thesis. 1.5 years without thesis, and 2 years if you do a thesis.

Also, in the US, you can go into a PhD program straight out of undergrad. So, you'll take the ~10 required courses and also do research, teaching, etc. You will typically receive the MS once you finish your courses, while you are still a PhD student. Then you'll do research and possibly teaching until you complete your dissertation. This is the sort of program that takes 5+ years.

If you enter a PhD program and you already have an MS, then it will not take as long since you won't need to take any additional courses.

Since you need to complete a dissertation to get a PhD (requiring original research), your degree will take longer if your research doesn't go well for whatever reason. But 5 years MS/PhD is pretty standard as far as I know.
>>
>>13077587
>rs depending on if it's babby coursework or research and a PhD is 3 (up to 6 years if you go part-time like me). Why do your PhDs take so long?

The us phd and us college system is stupid and for babies and produces retards

its more like highschool 2.0 where you take lots of general courses etc

in europe a phd is specialised, the US phd produces a guy who has two years in history, 1.5 in math, 2 in english, 3 in art design all in one.

The Euro phd gives you a guy who has done statistics for three years and nothing else. No bullshit gender studies, american history, etc
>>
>>13077595
If I were you I would: Graduate -> apply for postgrad while doing the research -> if postgrad rejected apply for jobs -> earn money and do research to pad CV and bank account -> reapply for postgrad at the next intake
Pretty much what I did, after my BS I kept doing some research and part-time lab demonstration with the group I did my capstone project with while I applied for post-grad. I was rejected from post-grad because here in Australia they want you to have an honours (an extra research year on-top of the our normal 3 year bachelors) but my uni had stopped doing honours the year before me since they're not recognised overseas and they could then shill doing a 2 year masters (1 year coursework, 1 year research) instead and make themselves more money (all coursework costs $, research is govt. funded). I said fuck that and got a job in industry R&D. After two years of that I had enough research experience to reapply for post-grad this time applying to go directly into a PhD programme. The only negative is that I got used to money so I didn't want to entirely quit my job but luckily they've got an educational support policy so I could do my PhD part-time while still working "full-time" (I'm salary so actually working 3-4 days/week but keeping on-top of my duties).

Pros: Significantly more money than I'd have if I had gone straight for a full-time research student stipend, industry contacts, CV looks better for future industry roles (we often skip resumes with PhD-only experience), industry contacts AND academic contacts from work we contract out to academic labs
Cons: If doing a part-time degree some limitations in research project (i.e. I can't do week-long organic synthesis when I've only got 1-2 days at the uni)
>>
>>13077634
>>13077646
I thought the US general courses only happen in the first year of the Bachelors (which is why it's 4 instead of 3 years)? Same shit in Korea, I think they copied the US system.
So that >~10 courses
is more general shit? How horrifying.
>>
>>13077595
That’s what I’m saying. Go to grad school somewhere else. Stalling for just a little bit of research XP seems like a waste.
>>
>>13077655
imagine being 25+ and taking exams on tibetan feminist philosophy during your 16k a year phd on quantum computing engineering whilst trying not to be deported by your super who is having you curate his porn collection
>>
>>13077655
No. General education courses are only required for undergrad degrees. In STEM, people typically spread them out over 4 years so that they have an easy class each semester.

They aren't required for graduate school.
>>
>>13077647
>If I were you I would: Graduate
in one year or two? (my original question)
>CV looks better for future industry roles (we often skip resumes with PhD-only experience)
i want to go industry so this good to know. what field are you in anon? finding a job might be rough if i have no internships, and i definitely wont if im graduating in a year
>>13077661
couldnt afford it, i dont think. the only reason im sweating the research experience is because i thought it was absolutely crucial for phd programs, and im pretty sure it is
>>
>>13077694
One year. I'm in medical R&D.
>finding a job might be rough if i have no internships, and i definitely wont if im graduating in a year
Why? You can have a month's experience helping out some lab techs or something, that'll put you ahead of all the other bachelor's applicants. It shouldn't take over a year to find something like that.
Also I can't speak to where you are but here it's easier to get into industry at bachelors level than masters which is again easier than PhD. Lab tech/research assistant positions are much more accepting of someone with no experience. If we have a position for someone with a PhD it means it's also a senior role so they need to be experienced. There's also a lot more lab techs/RA positions than research scientist ones (and a lot of them get filled up by promoting RAs too).

>>13077694
>couldnt afford it, i dont think. the only reason im sweating the research experience is because i thought it was absolutely crucial for phd programs, and im pretty sure it is
Start contacting labs you're interested in working with and see what they say. Double check entry requirements for the uni itself on the website first, then ask what they'd like to see from you to consider taking you on for a PhD. I'd almost guarantee actually being proactive and contacting them a year ahead of time would already be enough to get them considering you and then they can tell you exactly what skills/experience/course/whatever they want to see from you in the next year.
>>
>>13077712
thanks anon
>I'd almost guarantee actually being proactive and contacting them a year ahead of time would already be enough to get them considering you and then they can tell you exactly what skills/experience/course/whatever they want to see from you in the next year.
sounds like something a boomer would say, but ill look into it
>>
>>13077508
Your attitude is shit bro.
Try socializing with others and you'll get a fucking good job.
>>
>>13077755
>socialise your way into a phd tier high dimension applied mathematics on AI

>nice weather huh
>say have you read the latest on hybrid multi modal nlp models?
>>
>>13053022
I got a job bro’s I actually posted a while ago about interview shit. I’m about to graduate and go straight into working there. I accomplished the dream.
>>
>>13077959
Grats bro. We’re all gonna make it.
>>
>>13077750
It's 50-50 that you'll get no reply. If you actually get a reply then that's the most likely outcome. Don't forget these people are big nerds who are into whatever niche academia thing their lab covers. That someone is approaching them about it is a great feeling.
Boomer shit is when they say you should walk into an office ask for the manager and give them a firm handjob. The modern way is to contact the person on linkedin/work email, express your interest and ask them (before you actually need the job) which skills they value/what you can do to make yourself a good candidate. If someone contacted me for that I would push HR to give them an internship (we normally only do them for engineers not scientists) as long as they seemed capable. And again that only works in certain fields where it makes sense, not for jo blow looking for a job as an office administrator.
>>
>>13067500
Do not come to UK.
>>
Can anyone give me an opinion on engineering technology? I have a link to an article, that I found on the subject, below for anybody who, like me, has never heard the term before.
t. guidance counselor
>https://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/september-2017/profession-x
>>
>>13076006
Good on you anon. Become the philosopher-king with intelligence and strength.
>>
>>13073744
>Protip: if you have the slightest interest in anything besides IT shiet - switch to this thing.
Switch to chemistry, or CS? What are you trying to say anon?
>>
>>13073553
Buddy network your ass off and mingle with people with industry connections. That major combo is solid but autistically studying will not get in as easily.
>>
>>13073553
>If I want to work as a data *scientist*
that's jsut he new blue collar, so if you want a job in this, you only need a network of alumni
>>
>>13053022
Classics student here. That’s Greek, Latin and history and shit, fyi

I’m doing a math course part time, and I hope to do data science afterwards while I do my PhD. My math is OK. Do you any of you have any caveats? Thank
>>
I may have lucked into a second paid research position even though I'm an overcooked undergrad. I'm way out of my depth because my fundamentals are weak and haven't cared about learning anything in two years. I almost want to quit before I start but it'll be paid.
>>
>>13078751
tfw the new blue collar earns 1.5x what I earn as a scientist
>>
>>13075535
>Starting salary for msc in machine learning is 30-60k, but for a phd its 400,000-25,000,000 with equity when in industry,
In the USA I presume.
>>
>>13078813
don't quit retard. if you have any interest in the job you're far ahead of all the other employees. you'll learn skills on the job, you can always say "I haven't done this in a while, can you show me?" or some shit.
>>
Doing a physics degree in australia. What is my best bet to get a job? Can I get a job with just my degree? Are there jobs for me if I get a PhD? What PhD in physics is the most employable? How easy can a physics degree become an actuary?
>>
>>13077646
what the fuck are you talking about? a US phd will exclusively cover your subject material like a phd anywhere else in the world, unless you want to take an off-hand class in something else.
>>
>>13053040
I did mechatronics as my undergrad which is technically a type of ME program in my country.
>Which is more fun?
Depends on your interests. If you like variety, mechatronics.
>Which is more future proof?
They're all fairly future proof at the undergrad level, you only specialize more deeply in industry/grad school. In any case you will have a decent education even if tech moves on.
>Which earns more?
Pure ME and pure EE grads have an easier time getting a job because there are more jobs that demand specialization than ones that require generalism. But I know guys who landed EE, ME and SE jobs from my class so you can go in any direction. I don't think your undergrad matters after a couple of years in industry.

Overall wouldn't recommend any of these, learn a trade or become a code monkey instead.
>>
I'm an Ausfag about to finish an undergrad biomed degree with a major in biotech. Do I continue down the Biotech path? I've heard it's a good path to go, plus everything in that field just seems to click in my head really well. Especially nano-scale stuff, but I feel like that's getting way too niche
Thoughts on where to go from here?
>>
>>13079810
Food stamps
>>
File: 1598469409116.gif (507 KB, 500x500)
507 KB
507 KB GIF
I find it super hard to look at the zoom screen while doing interviews, is there any workaround? Maybe it's because I'm new to interviews but it's hard as hell to see two guys stare at you with no expression while you ramble on.
Please anons, and just some general interview tips if you can...
>>
>>13080150
Look into the webcam, not the screen
>>
>trying my best in first year motorsport engineering after barely passing foundation year
>Can barely concentrate on the foreign lecturers reading off slides in monotonous voices on zoom
>Get put with a bitch and a retard for a group work who called me a misogynist and left our group because I left them to do some work, lecturer said it's my problem and had to do all the group work alone
>constantly burn myself out if I study more than an hour or two, but still try to study everyday regardless
>Still get my ass handed to me and basically get my ass handed to me by my younger colleagues who just get shit and can somehow study 3+ hours a day with no mental burnout
>Would've failed easily right now if it wasn't for COVID

My god I piss all over everyone with the CAD work but I hate not being able to keep up with the actual maths and physics no matter how hard I've been trying, it's so hard bros

I feel so trapped because sunk time and fears that the gov won't fund me switching course, let alone not knowing what I would want to switch to

I'm having a rough day
>>
>>13075934
>Fell for the biology meme
Is it over for me bros? I genuinely love biology
>>
I shitted my pants during the final.
I couldn't leave though because I would fail.
This Asian guy next to me kept loudly gagging, like really hard to where drool was dripping out of his mouth and he was turning red.
>>
>>13080338
You did your finals but at what cost anon
>>
>>13080438
The cost was probably a letter grade off his final.
A price I was willing to pay.
I even laughed a few times because I couldn't help it he looked so funny and the gags were so loud that people kept looking back at us. He probably thought I was insane. It really did stink bad though.
>>
>>13080448
I hope you don't develop a scat fetish from this anon-chan. You're awfully close.
>>
>>13080448
Oh and I meant to say, it was diffy Q
>>
>>13078751
You know the data science is actually science when they want you to have a graduate degree. Even at prestigious companies data science is fake
>>
>>13080448
>He probably thought I was insane
Not without cause, mind
>>
File: cRCN2r7-_400x400.jpg (54 KB, 400x400)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Anons, especially UK ones, how can I find funding or studentships for an astrophysics PhD this late in the year? Long story short I'm in a position where I intend to start a PhD in September/October but I no longer have a funding source. Most deadlines were months ago and all funded studentships have almost entirely dried up. I'm seeing on postgrad forums and stuff that this is fairly common as lots of people seem to be in this position every year but no one is actually helpful.
/scg/ please help an anon out
>>
File: 1586236395183.png (330 KB, 1014x1086)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>13080448
>He probably thought I was insane.
>>
>>13073744
become c*mputational
>>
Should I include projects done by myself in my CV for PhD? I made a fairly complex trading algo a while back and I'm pretty proud of it. Will admissions look at it as a demonstration of my programming and mathematical skill and my ability to actually apply this skill or will it make me look like an idiot trying to larp as Jim Simons?
>>
>>13077458
>The reason programming is over for 50 year olds is because they were too late. in there day they were ahead because no one computer.
People who are 50+ now were born in the 60's and learned programming on C64, BBC etc. There were plenty of computers before the IBM PC appeared.
>>
>>13081629
Include it bro, you have no idea how many unmotivated no skill fuckers they get, if anything it will show you're not a larper
>>
>>13080692
The best I can do for you is to inform you that the job market after that PhD is practically non-existent.
>>
>>13081816
How do you mean?
>>
>>13080338
>This Asian guy next to me kept loudly gagging, like really hard to where drool was dripping out of his mouth and he was turning red.
Thanks for mogging chinks in two different ways anon
>>
>>13077518
US/Michigan
looking to get into bio in general and experiment with human dna/cloning mainly
>>
>>13079810
Biotech is good but biomed is kind of meh. You're more niche than but still stuck competing with biologists and biochemists. Which city are you in/where do you want to live?
Biotech and medical devices are one of the few science related areas where we actually have some decent Australian companies.
>>
>>13084876
Do they not have a genetics major? Or at least molecular biology or cell biology?
>>
File: file.png (34 KB, 644x556)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>get job offer
>find pic related as most recent review on glassdoor
Would you work for this company?
>>
>>13085059
No, not worth stressing in a job full of people with unrealistic expectations.
>>
My first interview soon, it's for a dream company but I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm coming in with the expectation that I'm going to fail so that I'll be as calm as possible...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.