[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Gerosimenko.gif (2.49 MB, 490x490)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB GIF
Previous: >>12931646

Snow in space
>>
File: ISS from Earth.gif (1002 KB, 500x500)
1002 KB
1002 KB GIF
>>12935002
>https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=998
That's pretty cool
>>
This was just used in the new solar panels that got deployed
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=998

Here's an experiment with last communication, almost certainly was used by starlink
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=840

This experiment has payed off massively in water purification, used for disaster relief and on the ISS itself.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=826

Feel free to find some yourself: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/tdemo/featured_research
>>
>>12935021
Shit on the ISS all you want but it’s not like NASA could’ve gone to the moon or Mars. There wasn’t the money or political will. Actually maybe there was money but extending an olive branch to Russia was way higher up on politicians’ totem poles. It’s not perfect but it’s better than nothing. And it gave us SpaceX. Reusable rockets operated by the government are doomed to fail because government organizations are retarded
>>
File: chrome_LmAdRlE7y5.png (23 KB, 612x368)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist2.php

A single stage system I described previously, with one crewman and five passengers seated in a capsule beneath a 30 cubic meter propellant tank, would mass 1,585 kg and carry 30,000 kg of water salted with 6LiD (mass ratio of 19.9), passing through a high neutron flux region to produce controlled thrust. With a 4,700 km/sec exhaust speed, the vehicle is capable of achieving (a delta-V of) 14,062.86 km/sec! Enough for a one gee boost of 16.6 days!!
With 4 days of boost combined with 4 days of slowing down the ship can cruise at one gee a distance of 1,171.28 million km (torchship brachistochrone trajectory). This is sufficient to fly to any celestial body out to Jupiter and back. Reducing acceleration after planetary escape to 0.416 gees increases boost time to 10 days per leg, 40 days per round trip, and increases range to 6,075.15 million km. This is sufficient to take us to all celestial bodies in the solar system, including Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris.
>>
Didn't the ISS also show the effects of micro meteorites hitting a space station?
>>
>>12935031
I was shitting on the ISS in the last thread but I completely agree with this assessment
>>
>>12935036
2 days to mars
1 week to jupiter
1 month to neptune

this is the key to the solar system why isnt anyone funding this?
>>
>>12935031
The ISS is a cool thing to have around no doubt. It's just the insistence by that one anon that everything being done on it is important and groundbreaking that I find strange. It's just a research lab at the end of the day
>>
File: Artemis.png (437 KB, 520x720)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
>
>>
>>12935058
>1 moon
NASA thought this was clever enough to put on an official poster
>>
>>12935052
I never said *everything* being done is important and groundbreaking. I was pushing back on the fiction that the *only* benefit has been the effects of micro gravity on the human body. So experiments have definitely been duds or not super useful, but they haven't been doing "high schooler experiments" like the one normalfag anon said.
>>
>>12935021
the star custer passing by is kino
>>
>>12935070
A lot of important science is done on the ISS like atmospheric studies and inflatable habitats and long-term survivability of space-based habitats.
>>
>>12935031
The only realistic option that might have been better than the ISS would have been some sort of joint US-Russian mission to the moon but even though that might have happened between 1990 and 2010 it would have been a tall fucking order because we had these big fancy space shuttles but nothing for them to shuttle to other than Mir.

Like, I'm imagining something like the Artemis mission profile only the Gateway station is a Mir core block that's pushed into TLI by some sort of TKS-based tug stage and it's used as a base for an American-built lander that resembles a better HLS built by Lockheed or Grumman that's launched in the shuttle payload bay and after a rendezvous with a previously launched American tug stage pushes itself to the Gateway station and the Astronauts ride to the station in a modified Soyuz launched on top of Proton while fuel and supplies are launched on an ESA ATV style ferry that's launched into LEO by the shuttle.
>>
>>12935031
>>12935038
its amazing how much using the exact same amount of money but in an organized way can yield much better results.

The SHUTTLE+ISS+SLS budget basically amounts to shit so far, none of it resulted in america having good access to space.

Yet if you had taken that same amount of money it would have been more than enough to fund another "exactly as is" apollo program.

The issue is that the money would have had to be used centrally.

Central planning is the real difference. Its really just like healthcare. If you pay 0.01 cents for the chance to use a complex health machine if you need it then its much more profitable for the whole, like you wouldnt have caused 1 billion dollars of wear to machines, but if the machine doesnt exist a private person without the help of a care system doesnt have much choice but paying for it EXCLUSIVELY for him which would make it insanely more expensive.

its all a matter of organization and central planning and a great argument in favour of communism. The ironic side of things is that in current capitalism this case the state is actually the one who promotes senseless disorganized spending made by many private actors (old space) and a private company (spacex) is the one who is providing a centrally planned coherent plan.

Also, during the cold war the us won by being as communistic (centrally planed) as possible, and the USSR tried to fight back by being as capitalistic (distributing power to free agents so that they achieved good results via their interaction) as possible
>>
>>12935078
>important science
>inflatable habitats
Time to stop memeing.
>>
>>12935036
>er propellant tank, would mass 1,585 kg and carry 30,000 kg of water salted with 6LiD (mass ratio of 19.9), passing through a high neutron flux region to produce controlled thrust. With a 4,700 km/sec exhaust speed, the vehicle is capable of achieving (a delta-V of) 14,062.86 km/sec! Enough for a one gee boost of 16.6 days!!
Based using the 90% enrichment version instead of the faggy 20% enrichment version.
>>
>>12935085
>Comparing late 90s and mid-00s budgets to the 60s
Commies and not understanding basic economics, name a more iconic due
>>
>>12935081
>The only realistic option that might have been better than the ISS would have been some sort of joint US-Russian mission to the moon but even though that might have happened between 1990 and 2010 it would have been a tall fucking order because we had these big fancy space shuttles but nothing for them to shuttle to other than Mir.
>Like, I'm imagining something like the Artemis mission profile only the Gateway station is a Mir core block that's pushed into TLI by some sort of TKS-based tug stage and it's used as a base for an American-built lander that resembles a better HLS built by Lockheed or Grumman that's launched in the shuttle payload bay and after a rendezvous with a previously launched American tug stage pushes itself to the Gateway station and the Astronauts ride to the station in a modified Soyuz launched on top of Proton while fuel and supplies are launched on an ESA ATV style ferry that's launched into LEO by the shuttle.
going to the moon is very easy. you just do an on orbit assembly of a lunar craft, use soyuz rockets, super reliable relatively cheap and man rated.

It would be cheap enough that it could be done if needed. Like, probably tyhe whole mission for less than one billion dollars or about that much. But its too expensive to do it "just because"
>>
>>12935058
>2 billion dollars per launch
Why do they include this figure on their advertising material as if it's something cool or admirable? They should be utterly ashamed of themselves for wasting so much money on that useless heap of shit.
>>
>>12935047
>this is the key to the solar system why isnt anyone funding this?
it requires weapons grade uranium, if anybody will build it first it'll either be russia/china or an independent space colony, not the use
>>
>>12935101
>Why do they include this figure on their advertising material as if it's something cool or admirable?
it says 0 chance of succes, its obviously a joke. Like, are you an american of average intelligence or are you considered gifted?
>>
>>12935101
Anon.....
>>
File: mspaint_hE1saO9cae.png (89 KB, 538x413)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>12935095
>>
File: Hydrologgs.jpg (1.51 MB, 3000x4511)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>12935058
>>
>>12935098
Yeah exactly, I'm imagining that an Artemis mission profile joint mission to the moon probably costs a fraction of what the ISS does and seems very doable by 2005 or so if you start from 1994.

The moon was still old hat back then and I think NASA felt legitimately mogged by the Salyuts and Mir and wanted a spess steshun of their own so that it could be US astronauts setting on-orbit endurance records again.
>>
File: ISS construction.gif (1.56 MB, 400x225)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB GIF
I just think its neat
>>
There is no scientific possibility of traveling to other planets.
>>
>>12935070
>I was pushing back on the fiction that the *only* benefit has been the effects of micro gravity on the human body.
To be fair that is the only tangible benefit as far as spaceflight is concerned. Protein growth and the like is too niche to care about and things like maintaining and repairing a space habitat would have inevitably been figured out with or without the ISS. Ultimately the ISS is a boring place where boring science is done. And there's nothing wrong with that
>>
>>12935118
The truth is that boots on the moon was something feasible, if needed since, well, since we went to the moon. "lol guys it would be so cool" just isnt a good reason to go, for that price at least. With starships levels of price then yes, just because becomes an option
>>
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=914
>The objective of the REBR flight test is to verify the use of a small, lightweight, autonomous system for recording temperatures, accelerations, and other data experienced by the host vehicle during reentry, surviving the breakup of the host vehicle, and finally “phoning home” the recorded data prior to impact of the recording device.

This is neat, wonder if SpaceX uses something like this on starlink or for the upcoming re-entry tests for starship
>>
>>12935124
>To be fair that is the only tangible benefit as far as spaceflight is concerned.
???????
Water purification?
In space construction?
Radiation shielding?
Urine processing?
Detecting loss of pressurization?

Why do so many /sfg/ anons have such a surface level understanding of space flight?
>>
>>12935118
>and I think NASA felt legitimately mogged by the Salyuts and Mir and wanted a spess steshun of their own
There also existed a culture at NASA since the 60's that were salty at Apollo because in the natural order of things building a large space station happened before going to the Moon. After Apollo 11 pretty much all future planning revolved around building a large Space Station to get manned spaceflight "back on track"
>>
>>12935132
A robust black box that can survive reentry sounds like a very useful thing to have.
>>
>>12935139
None of those things are reliant on the ISS specifically to accomplish and many of them had already been accomplished before at places like Mir
>>
>>12935139
All of that was proven before the ISS even existed. Why do so many people think it was the first space station?
>>
>>12935139
>>12935070
a little principle of science states taht you should only do experiments for those things for which you have reasonable reasons to believe they wont be different from models.

Why not do an experiment to see if rockets work in space?, how about further to the right, how about further to the left? if you havent tested rockets, radio waves, and every single law of physic in every single cubic cm of the universe how can you know it works, right?
wrong
ultra retarded, all "science benefits" are for things that we already kew 100% how it worked, and most of it worked almost exactly as predicted because theres no science going on there, thats not the main driving force behind it. The main driving force is rocket-geopolitics, and all science comes after as justification. And its all the same for them, because retards like you (90% of the populatino who believe the us flag deserves respect and that conspiracy theories are conspiracy theories) cant see the difference between the two
>>
>>12935139
why do you list things that were specifically 0% advancedc on the iss. like do you hate yourself?

do you have an intense fetish on being wrong and so stupid in a way that if it not were anonymous you could not get a girl to be in the same room with you if you were anywhere wehre the rumors of how stupid you are arrived?
>>
>>12935153
>>12935152
The ISS allowed for improvements and standardization. Also Mir did not test water purification or urine processing, the russian side of the ISS still does not have this technology. Also, Mir really didn't test radiation shielding other then noticing that more mass = less radiation
>>
>>12935064
you thought your reply was clever enough to post a second time
>>
>>12935081
This could’ve happened but why go to the moon to work with the Russians when you could do the same in LEO? That’s how politicians think. Also NASA was retarded at the time and thought that going to the moon again required 6 million shuttle flights and required a big add station in LEO check it out

>https://history.nasa.gov/90_day_study.pdf
>>
>>12935158
>Why not do an experiment to see if rockets work in space?
Uhhh, this was an experiment. Not necessarily to see if they work, but to collect modeling information on plumes and exhausts (Important when firing rockets near a space station)

This is exactly what I mean by a child's understanding of science. This isn't KSP where you just check a box then you are "done" with the science. There are always things you can do to improve your understanding, which can be leveraged during alter projects.
>>
>>12935171
Mir was gross as shit lol it was the traphouse of space stations
>>
>>12935183
>This is exactly what I mean by a child's understanding of science.
so basically project what people say about you back?

yep, you sure are childish op.

if you think experiments on rocket plumes are vital in 2020 and not and after the fact justification of why they are there, then HOLY FUCK dont consider a career in science if youre above 12 YO
>>
>>12935171
>Paying billions for people to drink purified piss when you could have done it on Earth for a few hundred with simple filters that don't require gravity.
>>
>>12935187
looked like the space equivalent of a redneck murder family lived there
>>
>>12935197
Someone post the Mir Mushroom
>>
File: astronaut smug coffee.jpg (135 KB, 904x608)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>/sfg/ arguing about ISS instead of gay politics
About time
>>
>>12935191
>if you think experiments on rocket plumes are vital in 2020
Because we already conducted them on the ISS.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=275

This not only got us modelling data, but a potential anti-sat weapon
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=399
>Artificially created plasma turbulence can disrupt military navigation and communications using radio systems.

Now seethe like the normalfag you are
>>
>>12935124
>boring science
A lot of it is too obscure for people outside the specific field to understand. For example there were studies of combustion and chemical kinetics in general because in microgravity there's no convection that normally drowns out the subtle details in experiments. The results were then used to better understand and optimize the relevant processes back on Earth.
>>
File: space_myr_02.jpg (3.3 MB, 2100x2010)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>12935197
>GOD DAMN IT CLETUS YOU HIT THE SOLAR ARRAY WITH YOUR TRUCK AGAIN
>>
>>12935064
>they don't know about minmus
>>
>https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/spacexs-shotwell-no-plan-for-tiered-starlink-internet-pricing.html
Dishy used to cost 3000 to make, now it's 1500. Neat
>>
>>12935191
>if you think experiments on rocket plumes are vital in 2020 and not and after the fact justification of why they are there, then HOLY FUCK dont consider a career in science if youre above 12 YO
If you are too stupid to understand that rocket plumes can adversely effect sensitive hardware, YOU are the one who should consider a different career.
>>
>>12935021
National Team Lander is the best HLS lander. I am open for debate
>>
>>12935212
>uhh mr invanovich, where put solar array
>slap it wherever at random angle pls
>>
>>12935021
Unironically is it weird that I feel hurt watching Starships explode?
>>
>>12935287
>8
i experienced that without paying and its as good as you imagine
>>
Orbital weapons when?
It'll have to happen sometime right?
>>
File: space_cute_04.webm (2.31 MB, 640x480)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB WEBM
>>12935203
We need more space cutes.
>>
>>12935264
(you) are gay
>>
>>12935306
Why are most astronaut women ugly?
>>
File: space_cute_ana.jpg (228 KB, 1024x1317)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>12935317
They're older and nerds. Even the pretty ones are more cute then sexy.
>>
>>12935326
>Born August 24, 1949 (age 71)
>>
>>12935021
Does anyone else pretend they’re a rocket engine when they pee? Like I usually say “Raptor is in startup” when I start peeing then when I’m at full flow I say “Liftoff” then I count the seconds after. When I’m done peeing I say “MECO confirmed.” I have yet to have engine-rich combustion
>>
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2104/2104.01191.pdf

Interesting paper on long term future of the universe.
>>
>>12935265
>remove access panel
>giant beachball sized blobs of water with shit swimming in it

Imagine the smell
>>
>>12935333
Dios mio. I guess it's not too bad for 71
>>
>>12935337
>>
>>12935340
AHHHHHH IT LOOKS LIKE A MOTEL
>>
>>12935340
>”In 1998, U.S. astronauts participating in the NASA 6 and NASA 7 visits to Mir collected environmental samples from air and surfaces in Mir's control center, dining area, sleeping quarters, hygiene facilities, exercise equipment, and scientific equipment. Imagine their surprise when they opened a rarely-accessed service panel in Mir's Kvant-2 Module and discovered a large free-floating mass of water. "According to the astronauts' eyewitness reports, the globule was nearly the size of a basketball," Ott said.”
>” Nor was the water clean: two samples were brownish and a third was cloudy white. Behind the panels the temperature was toasty warm—82ºF (28ºC)—just right for growing all kinds of microbeasties. Indeed, samples extracted from the globules by syringes and returned to Earth for analysis contained several dozen species of bacteria and fungi, plus some protozoa, dust mites, and possibly spirochetes.”
>>
>>12935337
If Dark Energy continues to accelerate, then eventually the observable universe will only be empty.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc6Rh5FLjfM
Neat to see this in real-time
>>
>>12935362
>the original plan was to replace Mir in the early 90s
>kept flying it into the 2000s
>even then the Russian government was looking for ways to keep it flying until the US threatened to stop giving them funds for the ISS
Makes you wonder how long Russia would have kept the thing around were they given the opportunity
>>
>>12935367
>if you blow into a balloon really fast it will become empty
>>
>>12935383
Holy shit what was Russia thinking?
>>
>>12935395
Honestly most of the problems with Mir could have been solved with an internal "remodel" with better ventilation and more compact/organized electronics.
>>
>>12935203
>cute astronaut who did Janeway cosplay in the ISS cupola drinking coffee
A big part of why we need a permanent manned presence beyond LEO is that so much of the scifi that inspired earlier generations is now trash, because we know space does not work that way. That means we need REAL achievements to inspire the young now.
>>
>>12935337
>people still believe this stuff
>>
>>12935395
Growing shrooms in space, that was the goal all along
>>
>>12935367
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip

Dark energy seems to be constant, not accelerating, however uncertainities are still large.
>>
>>12935367
Dark energy doesn't exist.
>>
>>12935409
>pseud detected

>>>/x/
>>
File: 1603039761779.jpg (17 KB, 245x255)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>12935021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_bkuWCmO4

Do you think they'll allow comments this time?
>>
>>12935423
>Dark energy seems to be constant
Its more or less a different way of looking at it. You can say dark energy is increasing relative to others in space or that dark energy is constant but the rest of the universe is spreading apart increasingly.

IMO instead of big rip, there will be lot of little rips that will create islands of universes/galaxies/solar systems/etc which will later be absorbed into the dark energy state as the expansion of space increases/matters decay into constituent particles/etc. Like bubble wraps that get popped and flatten out.
>>
File: MzczOTYxNQ.jpg (138 KB, 1240x1130)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>12935263
The lander she told you not to worry about, her, you
>>
>>12935434
How many times have they dunked this thing already?
>>
>>12935446
ALPACA a cute
>>
>>12935441
>der is dis dark energy stoof that we made up to explain our broken models is reel trust us
>>
>>12935454
lmao this, has dark energy made even one testable prediction
>>
File: 1605333891171.png (1.17 MB, 1920x1795)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>Comments are turned off.
>>
>>12935263
Rent free
>>
>>12935457
that can't be explained by another model*
>>
Why do they do this shit, just plant the camera at the pool and let us watch the drop

god I FUCKING HATE PR SHIT
>>
-> https://youtu.be/H1_bkuWCmO4 is the most recent drop test live btw
>>
File: newsreader8.jpg (107 KB, 1200x672)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
AT NOON EASTERN TIME TOMORROW, THE NEXT STARLINK MISSION WILL TAKE FLIGHT FROM CAPE CANAVERAL SPACE FORCE STATION.

THE FIRST STAGE FALCON 9 BOOSTER IS EXPECTED TO BE RECOVERED FROM A DRONE SHIP AS USUAL.

IN THREE DAYS, A RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT SOYUZ ROCKET WILL LAUNCH THE CREWED SOYUZ MS-18 SPACECRAFT TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION WITH MEMBERS OF THE NEXT EXPEDITION CREW.

THE CAPSULE WILL REMAIN AT THE STATION FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, PROVIDING AN ESCAPE POD FOR THE RESIDENTS.

THIS NEWS UPDATE WAS PROVIDED BY THE BORING COMPANY.
TRUE AMERICAN HOLES! FOR TRUE AMERICANS!
>>
How many times have they done this now?
>>
>>12935472
Evidently, preforming an actual splashdown from space at lunar re-entry speeds wasn't enough to certify that Orion could in fact splashdown successfully
>>
What the hell is that speck
>>
>>12935497
ayy survey drones
>>
>>12935497
Plastic bag in the wind
>>
Fuck mars is kino
>>
>>12935509
>mars is called the red planet
>is actually yellow
wtf bros?
>>
splashy sploosh
>>
encore!

encore!!
>>
File: f16 bathtime.jpg (216 KB, 497x499)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>12935472
This one was just for fun.
>>
>>12935511
Percy put his sunglasses on
>>
File: pia23378-16.jpg (495 KB, 1400x788)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
>>12935511
Curiosity is over at the red place
>>
>>12935469
Why are they streaming that? It's like a parody
>>
>>12935523
because

WE

ARE

GOING
>>
>>12935528
cue the stock footage of a shuttle launch set to inspirational music followed by cg renders of orion heading to the moon
>>
>>12935504
mankind has gone too far, hasn't it?
>>
>>12935520
>>12935509
why is one red and the other yellow
>>
>>12935470
when nazis invade sfg, when people unironically defend the ISS, when people don't shill NSWR enough... at least we will always have roman news dude to put a smile in our face
>>
>>12935528
TO

THE

ISS
>>
https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1379447033900244993
>SpaceX president Shotwell says the company has roughly 1,320 of its version 1.0 Starlink satellites in orbit right now.
>We hope to have “full connectivity globally” after about 28 launches.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/spacexs-shotwell-no-plan-for-tiered-starlink-internet-pricing.html
>Shotwell said SpaceX has “made great progress on reducing the cost” of the Starlink user terminal, which originally were about $3,000 each. She said the terminals now cost less than $1,500 and SpaceX “just rolled out a new version that saved about $200 off the cost.”
>Shotwell said the company does expects its cost to come down to “the few hundred dollar range within the next year or two.”
>>
File: V2rocket.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>12935560
>nazis invade sfg
>>
>>12935446
that starship has a lot of mass pressing onto those little landing feet
won't it slowly sink into the lunar sand?
>>
>>12933064
>we wouldn’t have Starship today

You act as if Starship is some sort of guaranteed success we don't know what kind of curveballs SpaceX will have thrown at them, this is different from booster landing, you're asking a lot out of the second stage
>>
File: buran.jpg (85 KB, 727x485)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>12935560
>Hates ISS
>Loves a paper rocket day dream
Seems about right for a commie, lets real life crumble while he lives in a fantasy land.
>>
File: 1617673150675.png (22 KB, 594x357)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
What makes NSWR different from just regular NTP

To go from a possible 30 days-3 months trip to Mars to 2-4 days just blows my fucking mind

THE MOON IS 3-4 DAYS AWAY FOR US NOW ON CHEMICAL ROCKETS

Which means travel to the Moon on NSWR would take less than a day, what the fuck is this thing
>>
>>12935601
>what the fuck is this thing
A sci-fi fantasy
>>
File: lataus.jpg (10 KB, 250x201)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>12935592
You could have used a different picture anon
>>
>>12935603
Ah... so its a meme like the QI drive?
>>
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>12935604
>>
>>12935606
Not quite. It’s a meme because it’s horribly expensive and there’s no chance it’ll ever fly due to regulations. But it doesn’t violate the laws of physics.

>>12935560
Wtf
>>
>>12935606
Not really. In this case the meme comes from the engineering requirements.
QI is a meme because it literally breaks physics.
>>
>>12935612
That one got actually restored.
>>
>>12935607
copium levels in roscosmos are dangerously high
>>
>>12935612
>10 years ago
If I had gotten into aerospace just a tiny bit earler, I would be standing on that bridge with my cock out and my bladder full. Fuck buran.
>>
>>12935607
Elon btfo yet again by Russia, when will he learn?
>>
File: Exu93-nU8AAMAiC.jpg (1.26 MB, 3840x2160)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>12935607
L O L
>>
File: 1601971595065.png (3 MB, 1720x2250)
3 MB
3 MB PNG
>>12935606
No. The biggest meme about it is the red tape, bureaucracy, and regulations. No one is going to approve of a "missile power by weapons grade plutonium that can fire for days on end while riding a constant nuclear explosion" because that's too scary.
>>
>>12935601
>What makes NSWR different from just regular NTP
NTP is heating a fluid with a nuclear reactor for thrust, NSWR is a constant nuclear explosion for thrust
>>12935603
no
>>12935618
>Not quite. It’s a meme because it’s horribly expensive and there’s no chance it’ll ever fly due to regulations.
again, it probably won't be developed by an earth power initially, but there is nothing stopping an independent space colony with access to uranium from developing it. i don't get why people always discount that possibility without even giving it a thought.
>>
>>12935607
Why is Rogozin such a lolcow
>>
>>12935640
see
>>12935643
it'll probably happen eventually, just doubtful that it'll happen in this century. maybe the next.
>>
>>12935643
>NSWR is a constant nuclear explosion for thrust
So it's Orion NPP but slightly less batshit insane, nice, definitely the best bet

If we want to actually go anywhere in the solar system at reasonable times nuclear power is really the only most logical and feasible option it seems
>>
>>12935647
Yes? How does that conflict with what I said?
>>12935648
No, it's definitely more insane than Orion.
>>
>>12935648
>So it's Orion NPP but slightly less batshit insane
its more batshit insane. Orion NPP is a series of nuclear explosions, NSWR is a constantly exploding nuclear explosion
>If we want to actually go anywhere in the solar system at reasonable times nuclear power is really the only most logical and feasible option it seems
if by "reasonable times" you mean travel times comparable to modern day earth travel times, but for centuries humans were just fine exploring earth at far slower speeds
>>
>>12935658
> How does that conflict with what I said?
You said "no one", which isn't necessarily true.
>>
>>
>>12935669
Shotwell being based again
>>
>>12935672
Why do oldspace CEOs always cope like this?
>>
>>12935666
Fair enough, I just meant no politician or regulatory body on Earth would.
>>12935669
>>12935672
Where were you when OneWeb was kill?
>>
>>12935675
>Fair enough, I just meant no politician or regulatory body on Earth would.
Fuck earth
>>
File: 1502476953637.gif (222 KB, 240x180)
222 KB
222 KB GIF
>>12935612
>gore on blue board
reported
>>
>>12935669
>Viasat’s Mark Dankberg: a satellite that has propulsion and fails is the same as one without propulsion.
???
>>
>>12935686
because like two starlink sats have died so far so people take that as evidence that they will all die or something
>>
>>12935690
2/1000 satellites died bro its over for Starlink
>>
>>12935686
>automobile that break down is just a heavy carriage - says the increasingly nervous horse merchant
>>
>>12935558
Because Mars isn't all one flat color? It's an entire planet, anon. Not all the rocks on Earth are the same color either.
>>
>>12935577
No, it will compress the soil immediately upon landing by a few inches and then no further.
>>
>>12935674
Desperately trying to keep their investors
>>
>>12935648
>slightly less batshit insane
that's debatable, instead of doing a one small nuclear explosion every couple of seconds you would be riding a CONSTANT nuclear explosion, carefully kept on the verge of being "too much" of a nuclear explosion.
>>
>>12935607
Onions-ooze, lands in the ground in Siberia

Crew Dragon, splashes down in warm American waters.
>>
>>12935696
it's funny looking at the doomer articles about it.
First it was "oh no 13% of starlink sats have failed" then more launched and it's 5%, 3%, then 2.5%, then 0.2%, and now they don't bother with the articles at all

lol
https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1321842804088279041
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2019/06/30/not-good-enough-spacex-reveals-that-5-of-its-starlink-satellites-have-failed-in-orbit/
https://futurism.com/the-byte/three-percent-spacex-starlink-satellites-died
https://wccftech.com/spacex-starlink-failure-rate-early-data/
>>
>>12935713
No different really from SRB's and chemical engines, ride that controlled explosion to your destination
>>
>>12935648
i mean, with orion drive, you acnkowledge theres a nuclear explosion and bring a shield to stand between you and your ship

with this, you have the nuclear explosion happen INSIDE YOUR SHIP and keep it as close as possible to the kind of nuclear explosion you wouldnt want to have inside your ship but without it actually reaching it
>>
>>12935672
Mommy
>>
>>12935672
so based that hse doesnt even bothers to have an internet presence herself, she just knows one of those soibois balding beta cucks will eventually reproduce what she says
>>
>>12935717
it is true that having a convential explosion of any kind or a nuclear explosion inside your ship would not have any significant difference in the end result regarding hte lives of crew
>>
>>12935717
It's very different actually, in a NSWR engine you need to manage gamma ray and neutron heating, so while you can use a curtain of water to shield your engine from direct exposure to the hot nuclear plasma, you actually also need a labyrinthine cooling system flowing water across EVERY solid part within a certain radius of the center of the nuclear fission region of the engine, because otherwise those solid bits will rapidly melt and vaporize as they're pounded by high energy ionizing radiation.
>>
>>12935717
>>12935726
>>12935729
The crazy part about NWSR is not the engine operation, it's the fuel. In an Orion drive you're powered by nukes, which as we all know don't go off unless you want them to, even if the vehicle crashes or whatever. The NSWR on the other hand is powered by uranium/plutonium salts dissolved to the point of saturation in water, which requires a tank filled with an open cell foam made of boron or some other highly neutron absorbing material, because if too much of that salty water solution collects in one place with no shielding to beat down the chain reaction, the fuel will self-detonate. This means if your NSWR develops a leak ANYWHERE in the system, there's a good chance that water will either collect into a critical mass somewhere or will continuously boil off in vacuum and leave a bigger and bigger clump of uranium salts at the point of the leak, until that mass approaches criticality also and ends up flashing into plasma at some point, blasting a hole in your vehicle in either case and likely setting off the rest of the fuel too.
It's like this: Orion drive is a vehicle powered by many small nukes which only detonate if you tell them to. NSWR is a vehicle powered by what is potentially one giant nuclear bomb, which could go off at any moment if something went wrong.
>>
>>12935696
>>12935690
weren't those two demo satellites?
>>
>>12935703
i'm talking about the sky
>>
>>12935746
Tintin 1 and 2 or whatever reentered already, I think. There were two v1.0 satellites that were dead on arrival, or soon after launch, or something. Idk.
>>
>>12935744
Anyone know if NSWRs are gonna be in KSP2? Also anyone know when KSP2 is coming out?
>>
>>12935744
Jesus.... no wonder development has been slow or even non-existent,
>>
>>12935750
Yes, the sky is colored because of light scattering off dust, so if the ground is redder or yellower and the dust is scattering that light back to the camera, you will see the color of the ground reflected in the sky.
>>
>>12935756
>Anyone know if NSWRs are gonna be in KSP2?
Maybe
>Also anyone know when KSP2 is coming out?
Q4 2025
>>
>>12935756
ksp2 has metallic hydrogen engines, so probably? I have no idea though, but if they are in the game they'd probably be very late game tech.
>>
File: Ep3pBOMW4AAP_Bg.jpg (447 KB, 2048x1365)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>12935622
Fucking vodkaniggers keep stealing tiles from it though
>captcha is a bike
kek
>>
>>12935762
>Q4 2025
No, it can't be. There's no way New Glenn and SLS will launch before KSP2.
>>12935764
>metallic hydrogen engines
First, could you elaborate on that?
Second, if they have this meme shit they better have other actual meme shit (yes I'm talking about QI drives even though that would completely break balance).
>>
>>12935764
>I have no idea though, but if they are in the game they'd probably be very late game tech.
Why would they be late game tech when the game is focused on interstellar travel? I imagine they'd be mid game tech, and that late game tech would be stuff like anti-matter propulsion.
>>
>>12935757
Non-existent.
>>
>>12935772
They'd be very late game by KSP1 standards.
>>
>>12935775
nonexistant, would be the correct term for common use.
nonnes-xistant would be if you want to impress your boss
non-existant, if youre in the uk
but "non-existent" means nothing in the english language
>>
>>12935779
By KSP1 standards yeah but again KSP2 is focused on interstellar travel, not interplanetary, and NSWRs are very low tier when it comes to interstellar propulsion technologies.
>>
File: Wernher.jpg (385 KB, 2455x1409)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
>>12935640
>>
>>12935021
SN9 and SN10 linked up. Need it or keep it?
>>
>>12935241
all of economics is witchcraft and is neither science nor math
>>
>>12935528
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npF_VHtvHpw
BACK

I SWEAR TO GOD WE'RE GOING BACK
>>
>>12935528
WE
>CGI of SLS lifting off
ARE
>CGI of Orion around the moon
GOING
>Random video of a kid in an astronaut costume smiling
TO
>Random picture of the space shuttle
THE
>Audio from Neil Armstrong plays over a time lapse of the ISS
MOON
>CGI of astronauts walking around the moon with their visors up. Zoom in on one of their faces at the end.
>>
File: Delta Clipper.jpg (94 KB, 1024x790)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>
>>12935859
Behold! A Falcon 9 first stage!
>>
>>12935856
Am I the only person who liked the Ares architecture? Imagine if Ares/Orion and SLS had been developed in parallel. "short" Ares with a smaller/lighter Orion capsule with a better launch escape system to avoid the parachute burnthrough risk, and SLS as a strictly heavy lift vehicle to avoid the extra cost of man-rating it.
>>
>>12935881
I like Ares I.
>>
>>12935883
I wish it didn't have a hydromeme upper stage but I honestly think it was the better option.
>>
>>12935856
also, make sure more than 50% of people shown are not white
make sure females are shown at least 50% of the time
the first or last person shown cannot be a white man
>>
>>12935856
Is it bad that I just now realized that the big orange upper part isn't the payload? I really thought the SRB was the only thruster it had.
>>
>>12935801
kek
>>
>>12935771
>>metallic hydrogen engines
>First, could you elaborate on that?
Metallic hydrogen engines, decomposition of metallic hydrogen into diatomic hydrogen liberates some retarded large amount of energy per mol, way higher than any conventional chemical reaction, and the density is not horrific either. Total meme at the moment because we have no way of making metallic hydrogen and it's not likely to be metastable anyway (probably impossible to store and feed through an engine). However ksp is a game so why not.
>Second, if they have this meme shit they better have other actual meme shit
They basically have a kerbalized version of all the big future propulsion concepts you can pull out of hard scifi, from what I can tell.
>>
>>12935881
It would have been neat if they developed Orion to launch on Atlas V or Delta IV Heavy and then kept Ares V for it's intended purpose to launch cargo elements. Who knows, they might have had Orion actually launching crew in a timely manner if they didn't try go out of their way to over-design it to justify Ares 1
>>
>>12935772
>>12935772
>Why would they be late game tech
Because while NSWR is not the best in terms of Isp compared to something like a matter-antimatter rocket or some other ultra high energy physics shit, NSWR has the advantage of massive THROOOST. Almost any super efficient propulsion system is physically limited to having a tiny thrust output because even at 99.99% efficiency, that remaining 0.01% of energy being absorbed by the spacecraft as waste heat becomes impossible to manage if you're trying to dial the thrust up to kilonewtons when your exhaust velocity is tens of thousands of km/s. Basically the kinetic energy of your own exhaust becomes so extreme that even being near it will melt your vehicle, so you need to only make so much mass of exhaust per unit time, and since thrust correlates more strongly to mass flow rate than exhaust velocity, the net result is that higher Isp systems can't get as much thrust force as lower Isp systems, even though they can sustain that lower thrust for a longer time, proportionally.
Blah blah. Having a rocket engine with an Isp of 80,000 and a thrust in the giganewton range makes all interplanetary travel so trivial that it wouldn't make game balancing sense to have it unlocked before you could go interstellar, which is a mission profile that requires very high Isp systems (thrust not mattering as much). For game reasons it makes sense to go from orion drives to daedalus engines and then antimatter thrusters and NSWR.
>>
>>12935894
SSTO on a shuttle SRB is possible with a Gemini-sized vehicle but it would be one hell of a ride.
>>
>>12935787
gonna cry?
>>
File: 1593265008666.jpg (183 KB, 985x734)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>already covered with dust
>>
>>12935915
>they spend some much time running checks that the machinery gets clogged with dust and is inoperable
>>
File: cap.jpg (3.03 MB, 1990x1324)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
Conceptualize the kino

>pilot rotates the capsule in a specific orientation but won't tell the crew which
>all lights in the cabin off
>all port windows closed
>nose cone opens
>a flood of bright blue light illuminates the cabin as you look above to see nothing but pure blue ocean and clouds
>>
>>12935915
It's gonna spin out of control and crash shortly after lifting off, mark my words
>>
>>12935915
lmao how'd they manage to do that it was protected by a dust cover, and underneath the rover for so long
>>
>>12935915
seriously though why not make the rotors out of solar panels, that way not only do you eliminate the flat panel on top (which may be complicating the flow dynamics) and maybe save mass, you'd also clean your panels with every flight due to the high rpm spinning and high dynamic pressure during flights.
>>
File: cap2.jpg (3.02 MB, 1990x1324)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>12935922
>>
>>12935933
probably can't get the necessary aerodynamic shape and working solar cells in a single structure
>>
>>12935920
Nothing mechanical has ever failed due to Mars dust, you're thinking of Moon dust maybe. Also just fyi, one of the big reasons Moon dust is so bad is not actually due to being abrasive, it's due to being very hard, which means virtually all passive oxide layers will be eroded by contacting it, which means anything mechanical you send to the Moon will quickly start having lots of cold-welding related problems if you aren't careful about keeping similar alloys and base metals apart from contact with one another.
>>
>>12935943
Thin film flexible panels bonded to a carbon fiber composite backing material for the necessary tensile strength? Doesn't seem unrealistic to me, idk.
>>
>>12935937
>going all the way to orbit just to look at Earth like 300 km away
lol, lmao
>>
>>12935152
>moon landing has already happaned so there is no need for it anymore
the absolute state of sfg these days
>>
File: aaaaa.jpg (2.81 MB, 4096x2725)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>12935959
but anon.... Earth is all I can see...
>>
>>12935922
>The passengers begin taking turns excitedly floating up into the cupola to take pictures
>Suddenly a small pop is heard, followed by a quiet hissing
>The Saudi oligarch in the cupola begins gurgling and spurting blood from a tiny hole in his neck
>a retrograde paint chip has penetrated the monolithic polycarbonate dome creating a 2mm hole in both the dome and the Saudi's neck
>The crew quickly perform an emergency reentry
>vibration during reentry causes the dome to explode at 130,000 ft
>shards of plexiglass sever cables in the nosecone, disabling the parachutes
>5 billionaires and two spacex employees die on impact

oop
>>
>>12935973
pretty sure their orientation will be such that the nose cone will take any impacts first, kinda like how the Orbiter never flew windows first in the direction of orbit
>>
>>12935957
How do you plan on getting the power from the solar panels to the batteries? You'd have to design electrical connections that can withstand spinning at 3000 RPM in an environment full of somewhat conductive dust.
>>
>>12935943
Try harder then.
>>
>>12935326
cute af ngl
>>
>>12935968
Intentional false equivalency or just genuinely bad reading comprehension?
>>
>>12935345
Ah, so we can slack for another 100 Gy or so.
>>
>>12935424
"We don't know what it is" is probably what you meant to say.
>>
File: psyche-scale.jpg (44 KB, 600x543)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Oh neat, the Psyche probe will have Hall thrusters, which are pretty badass as far as ion propulsion goes. Also, damn those are some big solar panels.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04/nasas-most-metal-mission-will-test-new-higher-power-electric-thrusters/

>>12936008
Dark matter/energy literally don't exist. They're fake concepts like epicycles.
>>
File: 56654654654654.jpg (405 KB, 2853x1587)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
Silently, Boing!'s OFT test has slipped a month from May into June. Still no actual date picked for the launch.

At this rate, SpaceX will be launching Crew 3 and the 4th manned flight overal before Boing even launches its second OFT. For reference, SpaceX did its equivelant (Demo 1) more then 2 years ago (March 2nd, 2019).
>>
>>12936027
The absolute state of oldspace
>>
>>12936018

Dark matter and Dark energy are just place holder names for types of matter and energy that we cannot explain with the current level of understanding of physics.
>>
Spane planes = useless and shit
ISS = useless and shit
>>
>>12936027
Does Starliner work, at all, on Vulcan or any rocket besides the Atlas V? Isn't there a finite supply of imported RD-180s?
>>
>>12936027
Fuck Tardliner
>>
>>12935994
you are like the school kid who doesn't want to learn basic maths and wants to go straight to blowing stuff up in physics class
>>
File: 1594010216064.gif (240 KB, 55x55)
240 KB
240 KB GIF
>>12936027
>>
>>12935910
yes, because of the sorry state of the youth'ss educations
>>
>>12936039
It's designed to work with Atlas V, Delta IV, Falcon 9 and Vulcan
>>
>>12935933
>why not make something as fragile and break prone as an electrical cable conection conected to something that will rotate on its own axis around 100.000 and 10 million times on a good day

retard
>>
>the ISS is just great and usefull because... because... It just ISS okay
>>
>>12936018
>Dark matter/energy literally don't exist.
Ah yes, I'm sure you know for certain how the universe really works. I'm sure you have a better model posted on viXra.
>>
>>12935968
the moon landing as it was done? literally yes theres no need to do it anymore, and youre literally 0.0001 smart on a scale from 1 to infinity if you dont instantly understand why
>>
>>12936039

Well in theory it is designed to be launched from the Vulcan, Delta-IV, Atlas-V and Falcon 9 rockets.

Fun fact: Boing never did a midflight abort test with Starliner so we dont know what will happen should one of the various types of rockets underneath the capsule pull a Soyuz MS10.
>>
>>12935973
Any debris that hits the vehicle will be vaporized by the impact before it traveled its own diameter. Not only would a thin layer of foam be sufficient to stop any tiny impactors like that, anything big enough to actually poke a hole in the capsule would have the effect of blowing up a tiny amount of high explosive on the inside wall of the vehicle (that is to say, the occupants would be sprayed by high velocity gas and dust, and apart from hearing damage would be fine).
>>
>>12936018
>Dark matter/energy literally don't exist. They're fake concepts like epicycles.
You are literally retarded. It's like seeing a car, you don't know what it is or how it works, but you just call it 'rac' or whatever. And then some retard (you) comes around and says 'racs don't exist!!!' even though they are clearly observable objects.
>>
File: cappac.jpg (1.34 MB, 1990x1324)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
Here's your capsule bro
>>
>>12936070
>Well in theory it is designed to be launched from the Vulcan
not ready yet
>Delta-IV
retired
>Atlas-V
on life support
>Falcon 9
lmao
>>
>>12935326
>>12935317
you guys must be low test or something if those are girls you wouldnt impregnate, dont worry, in the dichotomic world of male/female, youll find your female place, you clearly lean more towards that side
>>
File: adam sandler gun.jpg (31 KB, 400x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>12936037
You shut your whore mouth
>>
>>12935121
It was good and taught us a lot but it represents our capitulation to stagnant policy
>>
>>12936070
>>12936079
imagine if the orion capsule launches after starship reaches orbit, on a falcon 9 rocket?
>>
File: sn15.jpg (3.47 MB, 4225x4391)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
they are taking the scaffolding down. sn15 will go out soon
>>
>>12936027
The City of Boing
>>
>>12935973
The toilet is in the nose. You can't poop and sight see at the same time.

Or

Close the privacy curtains. Get zero g blow job from woman on toilet. While you star gaze.
>>
>>12935988
Commutators are a widespread and well understood kind of electrical connection with a long history in engineering. They are electrical components that spin along with a rotator and conduct current via a physical connection to a non-rotating object called a brush. These can be actual metal brushes, solid blocks of metal, or most commonly spring-loaded blocks of conductive graphite. The lattermost option is self lubricating and due to the softness of graphite is almost guaranteed to always make a strong electrical connection to the rotor. If I were designing a Mars helicopter with rotor solar panels I'd use two slip rings and several brushes per slip ring to maximize the contact area and guarantee a long mechanical lifetime from the connections.
>>
>>12936093
is that like a really fat dude or just the shadow?
i imagine its some large black man who only knows how to do one single task extremely well.

>ahh, you have to do a tsaichokovsky counter clockwise weld? i'll wake up big joe
>>
>>12936059
>Starliner on top of Falcon 9
deliciously cursed
>>
>>12936072
Spall tho. Dragon dome is made of monolithic polycarbonate. Traditional spacecraft windows are multiple layers of bonded plastic and quartz.
>>
>>12935973
>>5 billionaires and two spacex employees die on impact
insanely efficient class warfare, elon musk confirmed a secret communist, the spacex employees knew what they were signing on to do
>>
>>12936090
I think that would actually disqualify Boing! from receiving any further Commercial Crew funds until Vulcan was ready because the whole point of multiple contractors was full stack redundancy. If they're just launching on Falcon anyways for more money and less capability than crew Dragon, they failed.
>>
>>12936059
>>12936070
>Starliner on F9
would be the honk timeline
>>
>>12936076
>clearly observable objects
>Dark matter
The anon above fucked up but clearly you're in no place to talk either.
>>
>>12936018
>Dark matter/energy literally don't exist. They're fake concepts like epicycles.
We can see the universe's expansion accelerating and we can see patches of space which appear empty and yet gravitationally lens the light of galaxies behind them. Ergo something is driving the universe to expand and something within the universe is capable of exerting gravity yet not capable of interacting with the electromagnetic force. We call these things dark energy and dark matter only because scientist are fags.
>>
>>12936105
>is that like a really fat dude or just the shadow?
Probably both.
>i imagine its some large black man
Probably a Mexican because Texas.
>>
File: space_cute_ana_03.jpg (59 KB, 500x710)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>12936082
Where did I ever say I wouldn't smash this to saturn and back?
>>
>>12936061
Go look up how the electromagnetic rotors inside power station generators work sometime, hun.
>>
File: gse-min.jpg (1.93 MB, 6736x3600)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>
>>12936127
>Probably a Mexican because Texas.
isnt texas home of the waspiest of wasps pure bred white nazi saxon americosaxon bleached 100% european deescent prouded proud boys?

>>12936129
ok then you get a pass
>>
>>12936134
Texas is less than 45% white and the Proud Boys are hyper-mutt controlled opposition led by federal agents.
>>
>>12936104
>design custom commutator and bonded solar panel rotors to save approximately zero weight and gain a few milliwatts at most

or

>don't

why make something more complicated than it needs to be? It's a technology demonstrator that was designed and built on a shoestring budget at the last minute. A little solar panel hat works just fine and has a lower risk of failure.
>>
>>12935334
Kek wtf is this autism
>>
>>12936123
>>12936126
>>
>>12936130
>go look up how a notoriously complex mechanism inside a machine so complex it takes up an entire building works and tha twill be a good argument as to why it should be included in an ultra complex first of its kind experimental machine that will conduct a weird unprecedented test with no possibility of mantaince at all of any kind.

yeah shure
>>
>>12935021
https://youtube.com/watch?v=M-TOB9XT4tY&list=PLyHwsN1Rg4Ip6SLcNQU5PQSObcQmoXsyc&index=16
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8GZRjkPAnk8&list=PLyHwsN1Rg4IqaayvqHqKmTh3zOYDMh8Xh&index=8
>>
>>12935470
Basd
>>
File: 1605340625846.png (274 KB, 608x608)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>12935334
>I have yet to have engine-rich combustion
>>
>>12935592
if you dont hate iss you are automatically not worth talking too, and the only action left to be done is to inform others so that they dont talk to you either and also inform others
>>
File: MonkaS.jpg (7 KB, 239x229)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>12936133
>Elon is building a goat tower
>>
>>12936113
The dome is likely the most sensitive bit of that spacecraft for impacts, yes. As for spall, I dunno. I feel like polycarbonate is soft enough that rather than spalling like a plate of strong metal would, the poly would at more like ballistics gel and have a blobby crater blown in it without transferring much force to the interior surface. This is one area in which a plastic dome makes a lot of sense for this 'mission'. That and also the reduced crack propagation tendency due to not being as hard as plastic, which likely overcomes the need for laminations. Oh also, the fact that this thing isn't gonna stay up for years means that any concerns about the effects of ionizing radiation cooking that plastic aren't an issue.
>>
>>12936155
What if I hate ISS because I think they should've remodeled and expanded Mir instead? Woulda been cheaper.
>>
>>12935601
some day
>>
>>12936155
Yeah but who?
>>
>>12935497
It's just the birds
>>
Splish splash I was taking a bath
>>
>>12936148
I think the biggest flaw in these beliefs is the whole fraud thing has to:
1) encompass the entirety of the world's governments and scientific institutions
2) for the past ~65 years
3) and zero whistleblowers have come forth

like brah
>>
>>12936157
Yeah fair enough. For all we know it's actually multiple nested layers of bonded poly anyways. It just makes me nervous to see such a large piece of unshielded glass/plastic I guess.
>>
>>12936129
literally SS+ tier space waifu, would marry and run a Mars homestead with. Farming in enclosed greenhouses and managing the ecosystems inside high density seafood gardens, of course. Plus a few pretty flowers to surprise her with
>>
>>12936158
>Remodeling a space station
Has this ever been done? How would you even do it?
>>
>>12935908
>SSTO on a shuttle SRB is possible with a Gemini-sized vehicle but it would be one hell of a ride

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOOODDD I'MMMM THROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSTIIINNNNNGGGGGG
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14HESLWM-EI
Another failed bellyflop manoeuvre, for shame.
>>
>>12936165
>that angle of splash
ngmi. NASA needs to run at least 3 more splashdown tests before we can feel safe about launching brave Americans on Orion
>>
>>12936158
Those station modules aren't design for perpetual mantainence. Even in some of the relatively young iss modules the wear and tear starts to show. If they had tried to keep a "continuous" not they would have eventually had to replace the whole thing module by module or suffered a major catastrophe
>>
>>12935886
>I wish it didn't have a hydromeme upper stage
Given the engines that existed even on paper at the time the J-2X was the best choice.
>>
>>12936174
In case of the Mir station, use several bottles of mold remover
>>
File: bubb.jpg (2.84 MB, 1900x1264)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>12936077
budget version
>>
>>12936141
>It's a technology demonstrator
I know, but in the future if they're gonna go anywhere with this technology it would be nice to not have to fuck around with dusty solar panels and accidentally have the probe freeze and die because it happened to land in an especially dusty area and couldn't get its battery charged enough in time for the freezing night. Again it's not about saving weight, it's about minimizing panel effectiveness losses.

>>12936147
>obviously didn't look it up
It's the same tech as is inside any electric power tool you've ever used or seen, you have a stationary conducting 'brush' making contact with a rotating conducting 'slip ring', and you design both to minimize friction and maximize contact area/conductivity. These things are used literally everywhere. The alternator inside of your car uses this technology. It's not complex or difficult. It just requires smart materials choices. Again, graphite brushes are king in this application for the most part because they are self lubricating and also have zero risk of galling or cold welding or anything like that. In fact Ingenuity itself may be using a motor with brushes, because it eliminates the need for any permanent magnets, which would act as a trap for any magnetite dust and could fail very quickly (also permanent magnets are more massive per the field they produce than electromagnets)

didn't realize the thing had such a nice camera btw
>>
>>12936174
With Mir it would've involved removing and replacing experiment racks and some of the life support system. Mir's biggest problems were storage and ventilation. Both of which could've been solved with updates. As far as I understand, the actual modules were healthy.

I'm also a big fan of the "station of Theseus" idea where you just continually add new modules and deorbit old ones.
>>
>>12936223
>I'm also a big fan of the "station of Theseus" idea where you just continually add new modules and deorbit old ones.
This but with rotating hab sections attached to each other along the central axis.
>>
>>12936077
>>12936202
Is this real?
>>
>>12936221
Fitty bucks says the vibration from the flight cleans all the dust off the solar panels. If it becomes a problem they can probably just spin the blades up once every few days to shake the dust off.
>>
>>12936169
https://www.antarctica.gov.au/news/2010/33rd-antarctic-treaty-consultative-meeting/
Interesting design.
I mean you can think, whatever you want. The point is space was militarized from the start. And the nations aren’t really opposed. At least not the big ones. They know each other. If you look closely all the footage is either inclusive or CGI. Many people for example think they build the Saturn 5 rocket, when in reality they didn’t and nasa just contracted an insane amount of companies. Why did they do it? Because they wanted people to think it has to be real, since everybody knew somebody, who knew somebody, who worked on the program. Same goes for the people in the control room they admitted on camera they couldn’t tell a difference from the training. We caught them with harnesses, we caught them dropping things in zero g. We caught the ends of the zero g plane flights. We caught the CGI glitches. We have somebody, who manufactured globe images on record admitting it. Few people have to know it. It’s all compartmentalized and most just know a little piece. Also look at Werner von Brauns grave. Interesting last words he chose.
>>
>>12936223
Break old modules down for parts. Old modules stripped and then refurbished into probe chassis.
>>
>>12936202
D R A G O N O G A R D
D R A G A R D
D R A R D
D R D
D D
>>
>>12936018
>This will allow the spacecraft to reach the Psyche asteroid, located in the main belt, in January 2026, after a 3.5-year journey.
Cool. I forgot about this probe. Anybody remembers when New Horizons launched? I was all excited about Pluto, because the blurry monochrome pictures were so mysterious, it took a decade to get there. Feels like yesterday. I feel like the recent space sector developments have me a lot more impatient.
>>
>>12936228
Nope.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nGoJEOaa5jQ&list=PLyHwsN1Rg4Ip6SLcNQU5PQSObcQmoXsyc&index=2
>>
>>12936192
>>12936174
Yeah remodeling either ISS or MIR would basically be impossible and also not worth it.
However, next gen space stations don't need to be so limited by mass optimization autism, which means we could have a chance to build a new station that could actually be practically maintained for a few decades before needing any major work.
I'm talking about launching station modules that consist of dome-and-barrel tanks made of inch thick steel, with a docking adapter at either end and exterior hardpoints in a consistent pattern across the exterior and interior surfaces. Once in orbit the modules are joined together both by the docking adapters and by simple metal bar struts connecting hardpoints across the docking interface. External services are installed outside on hard points (electrical generation, waste heat radiators etc), internal services are installed on hard points inside (power supply ports passing through the docking adapters keep the life support and so forth running). The exterior is wrapped in insulating blankets and the inside is padded with foam sheets where applicable.
You now have a space station built like a hybrid between a submarine and an antarctic research station, you can add modules at will and you can gut old hardware out of existing modules to replace it at any time.
The main hulls of each module are made of thick steel in order to ensure any loads are so far under the fatigue limit of the material that cracks will never form even after centuries of hot-cold load cycling. Also you can easily weld with steel and with such thick material you have no risk of accidentally popping one of the modules while welding something onto the outside.
>>
File: 1550086067385.jpg (21 KB, 456x247)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Piezoelectric Solar Panels

They can vibrate themselves clean on minimal energy.
>>
>>12935973
>plexiglass
They make windows out of ALON, aka sapphire.
>>
>>12935907
What about the big ship from Avatar's engines that were magnetically confined matter-antimatter torch drives that could vary the matter/antimatter ratio by adding hydrogen to the combustion chamber to add reaction mass and slow down the exhaust velocity and add THROOOOOOOOSSST

Basically an NSWR but with antimatter instead of plutonium and hydrogen instead of water. James Cameron is such a sperg.
>>
>>12936233
We will see if the air flow and vibrations are good enough to clean the panel. Hopefully they are but who knows. Future designs with bigger vehicles and different rotor arrangements may need to figure out their own solutions anyway.
>>
>>12936133
Starship really was a water tower this whole time...
>>
File: BOOOSTER.png (378 KB, 1759x1815)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
>>12936177
i'm BOOOOOOOOSTING
>>
>>12936272
piezoelectric fleshlight, clenches with the same frequency as the AC in your wall outlet
>>
>yeah bro like just lets spend a lot of fucking money to a fucking space station when all they did we could do with vacumm boxes or probes
>>
>>12936284
effects of zero g on human body for 1 year
>>
>>12936287
Send a rockets to orbit with rats and bring It back after a year
>>
>>12936284
Lab vacuums aren't anywhere near as vacuum as space
>>
>>12936284
I dunno bro I think having a central hub for experiments, power and life support is better then building a new probe each time.
>>
>>12936277
In any kind of even halfway realistic design that thing would vaporize itself before it even reached full thrust, due to the gamma ray flux coming out of those matter antimatter reaction chambers at those thrust levels (I think those ships were capable of pulling more than 1G or something insane like that). If the design was meant to accelerate for years then flip and decelerate for arrival, and therefore had orders of magnitude less thrust and gamma ray flux, then they'd work fine. I think anything similar (annihilation torch) in Ksp2 is gonna be of the low thrust for a long time variety, like the current ion drive is except bigger and way more efficient. One of the things they're adding is time acceleration while burning, so it's not like the low thrust will hurt gameplay THAT much.
>>
>>12936293
HUMAN
>>
File: Orion-Spacecraft[1].jpg (378 KB, 800x500)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
>>12936165
why are they doing splashdown tests for a spacecraft that is already built?
>>
>>12935021
>New Glenn can fly a max of 12 times a year, and 3 times a month
DID WE GET TOO COCKY BLUE ORIGINBROS?
>>
>>12936298
see >>12936293
Make a science lab Starship, actually make 6 and lease them to NASA to fly for 6 months to 2 years at a time with, and do whatever experiments they want. After the mission they can actually refurbish and repair the vehicles as necessary before the next launch, getting them totally fresh and ready to go. 6 fully bought and paid for SpaceLab Starships would cost less than a single ISS module.
>>
>>12936284
Nah there is some neat work being done on the ISS. Whether or not that justifies its exorbitant price tag is up for debate but it's nice to have a destination in LEO for spacecraft to go to
>>
>>12936308
BO has been nothing but cocky for decades and they've accomplished basically nothing. All the sterile styrofoam PR in the world can't match male south african white flight autism I guess.
>>
>>12936310
Wow why didn't they think of that in the 80s when they were designing it.
>>
I don't care what you fags say
Space station is a waste of time and money
Until space station become a refuelling station and trading spot they are useless
>>
>>12936328
>I don't care what the evidence says it's still flat
>>
>>12936328
>trading spot
>>
>>12936317
Bezos is a heretek.
>>
>>12936308
>only one flight a month for the entire fleet
Jeff Iguanabreath is going to fire so many people when he gets over there later this year.
>>
>>12935497
Is this real WHATS the source
>>
>>12936236
All models are wrong, but the current one we are using is better than the flat-earth one.
If you can predict trajectories better with the flat-earth model, then everyone will believe you.
>>
>>12935618
Laws of physics are literally made up
>>
>>12936328
>actually had an interesting conversation earlier about the merits of the ISS
>argument is now reduced to aggressive shitposting for (you)s
Good ol' /sfg/
>>
I like blue origin kinda great that we have one private company for the moon and one for mars
Slowly we getting to the expanse
>>
File: 1616471359280.jpg (3.73 MB, 5880x3136)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>12936018
pretty cool how they used more commercial parts for this one. NASA finally breaking away from the notion that everything must be 200% razor's edge and made of stir-welded cashmoney

>>12936027
I AM ANGRY
>>
>>12936354
>mirror dice
Now it just needs a FRESH license plate painted on the aft between the thrusters.
>>
>>12936341
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/
It's clearly dust on the lens if you look at other pictures.
>>
How do we heat mars up for getting the water back?
How do we cold Venus?
>>
>>12936037
based
>>
>>12936380
>How do we heat mars up for getting the water back?
Bury all the planetary protection people on Mars and let the heat from their butthurt seep out into the crust.
>>
>>12936380
combine venus and mars. We'd get the ideal super-earth
>>
>>12936093
>roll out in a few days
>multiple weeks pass
>still no raptors installed
>>
>>12936353
So you mean we have one private company that can't land and one that can't even take off?
>>
File: PIA08118.jpg (40 KB, 516x387)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>12935021
Been away last 4 days whats new?
>>
Literally there is no difference between Starship test flight and DCX
>>
>>12936396
Good article on Psyche posted earlier. More Boing! schedule slips.
>>
>>12936388
Yeah better than nasa that doesn't even try
>>
>>12936370
1 month in and the lens and wheels are already full of dust and rogs?? This $2.5B rover isnt gonna last 3 miles
>>
File: SLSpatch_web.jpg (209 KB, 450x450)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>12936312
>it's nice to have a destination in LEO for spacecraft to go to
This, in a time when NASA funding was under real threat, having a mutli-decade project to not only make sure russian rocket experts don't go looking to iran for work, but as a source for future funding to sustain a certain level of funding for NASA. Private space without CRS and Commercial crew would be much much harder and low profile. Demo-2 on it's own was priceless.
>>
>>12936406
4ASS rover with windshield wipers when?
>>
File: Falcon 9.jpg (57 KB, 960x480)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>12936398
True. Musk is a hack fraud who wants to claim to have invented flyback rockets. It's good that many enlightened deboonkers like Thunderf00t are BUSTING this little frauds scams!
>>
>>12936018
Talking of psyche didnt some Japanese spacecraft bring some asteroid samples back? What happened to that?
>>
File: dm-2 trump flag.webm (824 KB, 1167x602)
824 KB
824 KB WEBM
>>12936409
>Demo-2 on it's own was priceless.
This moment alone made heads explode all over the planet. It was great.

>>12936412
The samples have been retrieved and are being tested. I don't know what if any useful science has come out of them.
>>
>>12936402
or Blue Origami with their paper roggeds
>>
>>12936406
Keep talking shit and see what happens.
>>
>>12936380
>heat mars up
CFCs
>cold venus
sun shades at L1
>>
>>12936411
thank god, i thought all the smart ppl in /sfg/ had gone
>>
File: ISV_Venture_Star_3_HD.jpg (1.02 MB, 1934x1088)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>12936300
IIRC James Cameron actually considered the problem of gamma ray flux and explained it away as being that the engines were built from exotic materials building off of human experience with commercial fusion reactors since it was like the year 2200 and fusion was pretty commonplace by then. I think that Cameron also estimated that each of the Interstellar Vessels would have cost over a trillion dollars in 2009 money to build apiece.

But yeah the official line was that the big ship accelerated at 1.5G for months on end to reach a double digit percentage of C. I think it also used orbital laser arrays and a hyper-efficient reflective sail for the departure and return burns out of and back into our solar system, only using the antimatter drive on the Alpha Centauri end of the trip. Like something out of a Larry Niven novel, I'm amazed that it made it on screen.

Speaking of Niven, I really really really hope that the sequels explore the Kzinti implications of a 100,000 ton spacecraft that can accelerate itself to a double digit percentage of C. Even the laser array that could do that is some IRL death star shit.

Apparently the accompanying materials stated that the ship was supposed to throw out an exhaust plume that was brighter than a welding arc and over 100 miles long and described as "the most spectacular occurrence either natural or artificial that had ever been witnessed by human eyes" and that the colonists on Pandora looked for the exhaust plume of an incoming ISV in the night sky like a man-made comet. I think the film was actually supposed to show that in a scene that ended up getting cut. Maybe they'll show one being used as an RKV in the sequels.
>>
>>12936422
>air pressure, what's that?
>>
>>12936416
>I don't know what if any useful science has come out of them.
Absolute state of asteroid missions. We could have had a Titan boat for the price of one of these, or maybe they found diamonds in the asteroid and dont wanna tell anyone hmmm
>>
>>12936423
Good to hear my fellow sceptic. It's good to have a moment of enlightenment among those spacex stan muskrats
>>
Absolutely embarrassing
>>
>>12936421
cold-blooded stare of $100 million in lenses
>>
File: preview-logo.png (199 KB, 1193x305)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>12936421
Photos brought to you by Teledyne DALSA
Everywhere You Look®
>>
>>12936423
Didnt Musk say that chemical rockets are faster in longer mission compared to chemical
>>
File: doritoship.jpg (1.52 MB, 2500x1648)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>
Almost every sci fi makes space seem like the ocean
I don't know how to explain this but after seeing the expanse and planetes I realize that the most unrealistic space representations are the ones that treat the space like an ocean
>>
>>12936455
huh?
>>
>>12936460
Why's that?
>>
File: 03.jpg (1.97 MB, 1928x2688)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>12936396
>whats new?
HELICOPTER ON MARS
>>
>>12935922
There is no pilot on dragon.
>>
>>12936428
It was 0.7c.
>>
File: 03.png (3.15 MB, 1296x976)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB PNG
>>12936468
fak, wrong pic
>>
>>12936456
Thought this was venturestar art at first
>>
>>12936468
Based
>>
>>12936474
no, it was the right one
>>
>>12936468
>>12936474
Thumbnails look pretty similar so Ill let it pass
>>
>>12936474
>>12936468
Lol
>>
>>12936470
>0.7C

Hahahahahaha what would even happen if you sent a ship the size of a small aircraft carrier into a planet at that speed???

That shit would make Chixulub look like a shooting star lolololol
>>
>>12936462
I don't know if I watch star Trek/wars they kinda make space feel just like the ocean from the figths to the planets being island idk how to explain
But then some more accurate you really feel like space is something new and different
Maybe I am just crazy
>>
>>12936428
>an exhaust plume that was brighter than a welding arc and over 100 miles long and described as "the most spectacular occurrence either natural or artificial that had ever been witnessed by human eyes"
>yfw you signed up to be the crew
>>
>>12936480
>Thumbnails look pretty similar
I use caja as my file browser in list view at 4k, so thumbnails are worthless. I named them both 03 for some damn reason, and the 'copter is a png, but I accidentally clicked the jpg.
>>
>>12936487
>Hahahahahaha what would even happen if you sent a ship the size of a small aircraft carrier into a planet at that speed???
You wouldn't have much of either left behind.
>>
File: Nuclear_plant.svg.png (18 KB, 480x480)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
Soon...
>>
File: asfjsggadg.jpg (890 KB, 1967x1400)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
shootle
>>
Mars Molar, or Mars asshole?
>>
File: aerobur3.jpg (14 KB, 322x267)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>12936512
Cute. Have an Aero Buran
>>
File: 1616446478583.jpg (12 KB, 655x676)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Opinion on this little text?
>The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
>>
>>12936526
Learn the thruth go crazy yeah pretty accurate
But he is Also a anti progress fag fuck him
>>
>>12936460
it's more like a train track
>>
>>12936509
I figured it would be somewhere between the suspected Permian Extinction impact and the impact that created the moon.
>>
>>12936526
It's basically Lovecraft predicting Tay's Law. The minute you give an AI enough data to really solve a problem you run the risk of it flatly declaring the rules of your society incorrect, whether that's the claim that races are equal or the rules of celestial mechanics. So far the people running the AIs have chosen the dark age option by deliberately crippling them - Google couldn't stop its image tagging AI from classifying blacks as gorillas so it just stopped the AI from labeling anything as a gorilla at all.
>>
>>12936536
Yeah that too
>>
>>12936551
>Google couldn't stop its image tagging AI from classifying blacks as gorillas so it just stopped the AI from labeling anything as a gorilla at all.
Oh God I remember that, good times lol
>>
File: Nix_best_view.jpg (46 KB, 336x336)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>12936526
The concept of our simple mind being overcome with the vast, limitless, overwhelming forbidden, unknown knowledge is an appealing, repeating notion through history and fiction. I like it. In reality, I wonder if something is amiss in our perception, limiting our depiction of the laws that dictate all that exists.
>>
>>12936428
There are a dozen of those ships. Each one coming to pandora every so often.

In 12 or so years. The entire fleet will have returned to earth and been loaded with marines. Then they'll arrive to panties in a couple more years.

The Smurfs and traitors have 2 decades before their moon is under military occupation
>>
File: 1597629328990.png (1.49 MB, 1200x1275)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
F
>>
>>12936440
it's japan, let them be japanese in their methods
>>
>>12936551
>whether that's the claim that races are equal or the rules
could be
> or the rules of celestial mechanics
disagree
>>
>>12936583
Why?
>>
>>12936562
source
>>
>>12936595
>https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/12/16882408/google-racist-gorillas-photo-recognition-algorithm-ai
>>
>>12936594
they're giving up on catching the fairings with nets so the boats are redundant.
>>
>>12936583
what a garbage ship
>>
>>12936612
Ah damn makes sense though. Thank you Ms Tree
>>
File: 1586908356635.png (433 KB, 1507x877)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
>>12936594
I guess the whole fairing catching thing didn't work out. So they're trading in two boats for one bigger one that just scoops them out of the water. Pic related
>>
File: mystery.png (10 KB, 694x306)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>12936594
>>
File: 1599458242232.jpg (165 KB, 1400x1050)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>12936583
>>
>>12936509
>>12936538
>>12936577

Bummer, I just ran the calculations and apparently a 100000000kg spacecraft traveling at 0.7C is only about half the kinetic energy of the Chixulub impact, which was estimated to be an asteroid with a mass of ~1.8x10^26 kgs travelling at 20 km/s.

So not a planet killer, just a dinosaur killer.
>>
File: 1600518569126.png (314 KB, 1023x540)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>12936615
I'm reading some claims that pic related isn't permanent. We'll see.
>>
File: fairing caught.webm (2.66 MB, 640x360)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB WEBM
>>
Is space sex better than regular sex?
>>
So Ive been doing some math and this is pretty much the best way to make superfast spaceships.
>get spacecraft and counterweight with ion thrusters to orbit
>connect them with several km long tether
>tether also has a small tube for gas
> fire up spaceship and counterweight ion engines
>keep pumping gas for ion thrusters through a hub at center of rotation
>cut tether precisely when speed is enough
>profit?
>>
>>12936642
Nobody has described it to my knowledge, although I'm sure it's happened at least once. Probably awkward in null-G, but who knows, the uniqueness might make up for it. Certainly at least you don't have to worry about crushing your partner in any circumstance, since neither of you will have significant weight.
>>
>>12936648
Why not just use drop tanks though? Whether you spend a week accelerating in LEO or a week accelerating after leaving LEO, you can still spend the same week accelerating and you don't have to complexify your spacecraft or add the extra mass of a counterweight that will necessarily weight quite a lot all on it's own.
>>
File: 1614999785112.jpg (233 KB, 1666x903)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
new rs-25 nozzle
>>
>>12935367
Dark energy is a meme scientists created to explain their shitty research because the idea that they made a mistake in their models never passed them so they created an entire theory purely to cope.
>>
File: many_doors_yes.png (129 KB, 500x363)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>12936526
Only a problem if you're a little bitch
>Am I an insignificant speck within a seemingly boundless and uncaring universe that is governed by consistent and predictable rules? >AAAAAAAAHHHH HELP ME MY MIND IS BEING TORN ASUNDER
>>
>>12936657
You can almost see the money radiating off of it.
>>
File: space_RD-25 (2).jpg (1.88 MB, 2775x3450)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>12936657
Ooooo shiny. Wonder if that means it won't have the big external plumbing anymore.
>>
>>12936670
I fucking hope they're going with a modern regenerative cooling solution instead of braised pipe hell
>>
>>12936667
That's just LH2 boiloff.
>>
>>12936639
I'm curious about the story here. They had some early successes but recently seemed to struggle- having a net collapse and later coming back with broken fairings.
>>
>>12936683
They've been pushing the flight profiles harder and harder for Starlink launches, which led to the recent booster loss. That's probably related.
>>
>>12935907
>Because while NSWR is not the best in terms of Isp compared to something like a matter-antimatter rocket or some other ultra high energy physics shit, NSWR has the advantage of massive THROOOST.
An antimatter rocket could have far higher thrust (and ISP) then an NSWR, it all depends on the design of the antimatter rocket
>>
>>12936526
The same argument people once had against powered vehicles, like
>nooooooo humans aren't supposed to go that fast, you'll go crazy above 50 kmh or something
And then people went and gone up to 25000 kmh and are still with us.
It's just weak minds fearing anything new and unknown. Step out of your comfy boundaries and adapt or perish, simple as
>>
>>12936657
Looks like something turned out of solid chunk of stainless steel. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it really is. And it's not just steel but some super fancy alloy costing its weight in gold
>>
>>12936639
>this will never happen again
it hurts bros...
>>
>>12936690
I think they learned that pushing your vehicle too hard will eventually kill it. The one they lost recently apparently didn’t replace the “boot” on the engine bay to see what would happen but it failed
>>
>>12936728
The best one is still "Nuclear bombs will set the atmosphere on fire!"
>>
>>12936790
>The best one is still "Nuclear bombs will set the atmosphere on fire!"
>lol let's do it anyway
>>
>>12936657
Kino. Raptors, powerful though they are, are not this kino.
>>
>>12936018
Woah psyche is larger than I thought. That's a big unit
>>12936076
It's literally the opposite of this you dingus
>>
>>12935454
>>12936659
Yup, dark energy (and matter) are literally just pic rel
>>
File: 1608250666077.jpg (141 KB, 1242x712)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>12936808
the vacrap is close
>>
>>12936790
This was like... a legitimate concern at one time though.
>>
>>12936790
Wasn't it detonate the oceans?
At least this one had some sort of reasoning behind it, and then there's literal autistic screeching just because people don't want to get out of their comfort zone
>>
>This whole thread was just hating on the ISS
BASED
>>
>>12936657
Woah wait is this the final thing? Holy shit
>>
>>12936308
>>12936317
>>12936335
Benzos is going to turn BO around when he takes the helm. New Glenn launching in Q1 2022
>>
File: 1612541540610.jpg (78 KB, 879x485)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>12936354
CUTE!
>>
>>12936838
It stemmed from concerns by Heisenberg and later Oppenheimer that due to the inherently unstable nature of Hydrogen and Nitrogen in the air and water, the temperatures and pressures of an atomically catalyzed explosion might be sufficient to give rise to a self-sustaining fusion chain reaction.
I think in hindsight though, it should have been obvious to everyone involved that the concentrations of hydrogen in our atmosphere or oceans, and the fact that most all of it is paired up into water, and furthermore just how efficient fluids are at absorbing and dispersing energy through much larger volumes, would make it impossible to ignite spontaneous fusion in the open air on Earth.

I think they let the anxiety they must surely have been feeling about the very real capabilities and potential of the bomb drive them to irrational conclusions about worst case scenarios.
>>
File: 1617213448041.png (1.66 MB, 1200x1318)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
well? Don't you want to work on rockets, /sfg/?
>>
>>12936917
mmmm, garbon roggets :D
>>
>>12936917
>studied something as inane as computer science
>when I could've just went into a trade and applied for one of the rocket companies
I feel cheated.
>>
>>
>>12936947
what kind of idiots would evolve with silicon instead of carbon lmao
>>
>>12936917
>5 years experience
Soon, bros
>>
>>12936974
The ones that drink liquid methane and live under -150°
>>
>>12936941
>Didn't get a trade

Ngmi, enjoy your expensive piece of paper. You will never go to Mars.
>>
File: 1589518876024.jpg (205 KB, 1263x856)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>12937002
I can still work on Systems Engineering. At least being a generalist might pay off!
>>
>>12936917
how easy it is for a chinese agent to steal an industrial secret from one of these autist virgins? like, do they even have to send a hot female over or can they do it with a fake profile pic?
>>
>>12937018
just save up, and not 200k like elon says. shoot for at least 10 million. im close to 15% there. by the time im 50 should be able to afford it
>>
>>12937049
>shoot for at least 10 million
why?
>>
>>12937048
https://spacenews.com/tory-bruno-reveals-chinese-company-tried-to-infiltrate-ulas-supply-chain/
>>
File: Girl.jpg (48 KB, 800x800)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>12937056

>Going trough your stuff? anon you're so silly why would i want to do that, im just a dumb girl, and you do soooo much important stuff, oh my gosh youre such a hotshot doing all that rocket stuff. Could you please leave me alone in this room where you have your personal computer for a while so i can get ready to ride your rocket heheheh, and then please tell me all about your work, your intelligence turns me on so much.

That's why elon almost wants to make shit open source, how do you even avoid infiltration when your work force is a bunch as vulnerable to femoids as computer scientists
>>
>>12936947
forget about round jaw, you can't even make it out, silicon confirmed for omega beta
>>
>>12937053
nobody wants to hang out with poorfags
>>
>>12937053
because it wont be that cheap in your lifetime, no matter how you fudge the numbers. and you should prepare for the worst case, not the best
>>
>>12937084
>how do you even avoid infiltration when your work force is a bunch as vulnerable to femoids as computer scientists
Provide them with ITAR-certified gfs.
>>
>>12936307
Busy work so their contract doesn't look stupid to the taxpayers
>>
File: 1587866653948.jpg (45 KB, 511x768)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
holy shit this article is gold.
https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/francis-rocard-astrophysicien-mars-est-la-nouvelle-frontiere

>Let's be clear: the interest of a manned expedition to Mars is not scientific... Nor is it Plan B, i.e., once Earth becomes uninhabitable, we would go to this planet as a refuge. Finally, it is not that robots do less well than humans

>What about Europe? Do we have any projects, public or private, that could compete with those of the United States?
>Not at all... The Europeans are realistic, they have no ambition to compete with the United States.

>There is especially Elon Musk with SpaceX, and a little bit Jeff Bezos. But Jeff Bezos is more reasonable.
>Elon Musk, on the other hand, is a complete mess.
>...But his long-term approach is extremely questionable from an ethical point of view, since he wants to colonize Mars.
>Mars is for him the plan B. And I find that extremely questionable.
>...And what he announces in a thundering way in the high audience congresses, his Big Fucking Rocket (BFR), his Raptor, all that is science fiction, let's say it.
>...He would like Nasa to fund his BFR, his huge 100% reusable launcher, he claims - but Elon Musk is not shy.
>I don't really believe in it because NASA has already invested billions of dollars on a launcher called the Space Launch System, the SLS. And NASA has no interest in shooting itself in the foot by financing the BFR. And SpaceX alone will not be able to finance the BFR and the Raptor... In the very long term, Elon Musk's approach is a bluff.
>>
>>12937151
>Not at all... The Europeans are realistic
topkek
>>
>>12937128
it's not only money, girls are naturally drawn to SJW bullshit. no matter how patriotic a girl is, shell always find a way to like some sort of sympathy for anyone claiming to be opressed, particularly if it upsets her husband
>>
>>12937113
If the entry price is 10 million dollars then Elon can just fucking forget about it. It has to be a mil or less for any real numbers of skilled people to go.
>>
>>12937160
The only solution for that is GTKRWN so there are no (((SJWs))) setting the media agenda anymore.
>>
>>12937151
>extremely questionable from an ethical point of view
these quotes are pretty depressing d e s u
the euro spirit has been completely squashed by defeatism, it’s the same shit we heard from the Ariane CEO about reusability not being viable because he couldn’t sustain his jobs program if they were able to reuse boosters
>>
>>12936941
I worked as a technician for almost ten years after high school. Worked for both Tesla and Spacex. Trust me, you made the right choice. Working under engineers dumber than you sucks.
>>
>>12937222
>Working under engineers dumber than you
Did all of your tradie coworkers feel this way or only you?
>>
>>12937192
Europe is spiritually dead. Let the brown hordes take them.
>>
>>12937234
A lot of us did. I feel that most engineers have a terrible understanding of assembly ergonomics, and tend to treat technicians like robot slaves instead of experienced professionals with valuable ideas/insights.

I was the only one who cared enough to go get an engineering degree though.
>>
>>12937151
>Finally, it is not that robots do less well than humans
Literally one guy with a shovel could do more geology on one EVA than every Mars rover combined. What a fag.
>>
>>12936941

>study an extremely complex field for a decade graduate with honours and your phd is ground breaking
end up doing quality control on an SLS bolt for 3 years. "yeah i know its not as exciting as you want, but the money is good, and yes i need you to be here, it doesnt look good if you dont even come, if you want to play videogames close the office door"

>illegal mexican dropout offers good drugs to a fellow mexican at a party, he repays the favor by getting him a job as a welder for this mad gringo
Gets to work on the first interplanetary ship. "Hey Esteban, you seem to know your welds what do you think would be the best way to join this two parts together" "well i..." bam you just contributed to the design of the most advanced rocket

>college AND elementary school dropout makes a video that goes viral in youtube
Gets noticed by the japanese guy, gets to go to the moon, and probably mars too. "that video you made which is just 5 hours of a clear sky filmed was so deep i want your art to travel with me"

we DO NOT live in a meritocracy fellow people, a lot of it is decided by luck so dont sweat it so much.

"man is what he makes of what was made of him" Jean Paul Sartre
>>
>>12937249
>>12937234
Tesla was especially egregious. Almost none of their engineers have any previous automotive experience and they have zero concept of serviceability. OG Roadster and Model S are fucking service disasters for technicians.
>>
>>12937250
>Literally one guy with a shovel could do more geology on one EVA than every Mars rover combined.
could you imagine the joy for a guy who really likes the field of doing that ? the geologist who was sent to the moon must have needed his space diaper reinforced so that it wouldnt be punctured by the sheer pressure of the cum exiting his urethra.

Like, the sheer uniqueness the sheer first of first, if you know what to look for, you can answer millenia old question by just moving some rocks around
>>
>>12937267
>Almost none of their engineers have any previous automotive experience
From a high level business perspective that's desirable to avoid bulk-importing the culture of the businesses Tesla is trying to disrupt. Making that mistake ruined Blue Waffle. I'd bet newer Teslas are more serviceable as the designs evolve.
>>
>>12936824
You just posted algebra, moron... 1+1+x=3
>>
>>12937249
Based. If you’re working as an engineer now, have you grown to become the thing you hate yet?

>>12937277
Quality post. Many “disruptive” companies (particularly in software) hire mostly new college grads for this reason
>>
>>12937277
Fair enough. And you are correct. Model 3 is actually a very serviceable vehicle for the most part. What I meant though is that most of their engineers are freshly graduated and have ME/aerospace experience. There's a lot of institutional knowledge about how automotive systems should be designed that aren't based around corporate culture.
>>
File: GILMOU_625.jpg (73 KB, 625x390)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
News about Australia's space industry. Any other Ausfags around here?
https://www.spatialsource.com.au/remote-sensing/gilmour-space-to-launch-fleet-space-nanosats
>The six Fleet Space Centauri spacecraft will be lofted into orbit aboard Gilmour’s Eris rockets in 2023.
>“This launch is going to involve an Australian-built payload in an Australian-built satellite, on an Australian-built rocket,” added Flavia Tata Nardini, CEO of Fleet Space.
>According to Nardini, Fleet Space plans to eventually have a constellation of 140 satellites.
>>
>>12937287
Not yet! I really try to treat my techs as peers. I make a point to let them teach me things and I encourage them to ask questions about my end of things. I think it works pretty well.
>>
>>12937151
HOW CAN ONE MAN BE SO WRONG. And this isn't just a random twitter mook. He's a high-ranking director at the French Space Agency.

On getting to Mars:
> That's the Curiosity pattern (high-energy transfer -> aerobrake), but men wouldn't be able to handle it.
>The vehicle that will have to land men on Mars will have to brake before it even gets to the planet, which requires more fuel to carry.

>If you have seen the movie Alone on Mars (The Martian), the problem of the return trip is perfectly accurate in this movie
>The return is done in a year and a half and you are obliged to make a flight over Venus. The problem is that during a flight over Venus, it is hot: you expose the men to important temperatures
what the fuck?

>If you listen to the president of the Mars Society, Robert Zubrin, he has been saying for twenty years that we should do "Mars Direct". That is, send men directly.
>This is totally utopian.

>the one [problem] that we don't know how to solve well today is the precision of the landing. If you look at the time of the Viking mission, in 1976, the ellipse inside which one can land with a probability of 99% is 400 kilometers

>When do you think a departure [to Mars] is likely?
>the simplest, which could happen in less than ten years: men will fly over Mars without stopping and return to Earth
>the second will consist in putting men in Martian orbit, it will take about twenty years
>and only then, by the 2050s, can we consider putting men on the surface of Mars

MARS 2050 BOIS

>>12937192
it's way worse than I thought. He's completely unwilling to examine his outdated boomer priors. There's no adventurous soul either, just "this is how things are". Such arrogance. If all of Europe is like this they're going third-world ASAP.
>>
>>12937344
>>The return is done in a year and a half and you are obliged to make a flight over Venus. The problem is that during a flight over Venus, it is hot: you expose the men to important temperatures
this cant be serious
>>
>>12937364
I did a double-take too. I tried multiple translators but all of them said the same thing. Here's the French in case anyone here speaks it:
>Le retour se fait en un an et demi et vous êtes obligé de faire un survol de Vénus. Le problème, c’est que lors d’un survol de Vénus, ça chauffe : vous exposez les hommes à des températures importantes.
>>
>>12937222
ah, it's like the West Point grad who gets put in charge of grizzled veterans and it doesn't work out because he's a shitfaced kid with a fancy piece of paper and no experience
>>
>>12937344
>>the simplest, which could happen in less than ten years: men will fly over Mars without stopping and return to Earth
>>the second will consist in putting men in Martian orbit, it will take about twenty years
>>and only then, by the 2050s, can we consider putting men on the surface of Mars
this is far less pessimistic than the tone of the rest of his quotes led me to expect
flyby in 10 years? nigger the only serious proposal even remotely close to that goal is Starship

>this is how things are
par for the course in a society led by descendants of the peasants who didn’t get on a boat when they had the chance
>>
>>12937344
>>The return is done in a year and a half and you are obliged to make a flight over Venus. The problem is that during a flight over Venus, it is hot: you expose the men to important temperatures
The blue FUCK kind of return trajectory are they using?
>>
>>12937151
This man lacks ambition. Instead of simply disagreeing with someone else's ambition, he had to attack it with emotionally charged statements. I bet had his grandfather not been a famous (for the French) physicist, and his father not a successful politician, he wouldn't have even made it into a university
>>
>>12937344
We got too cocky spacex bros
>>
While we’re on the topic, throwback to Ariane CFO Pierre Godart in 2017 on why they’re not targeting reusability:
>We aim to have cadences of 11 a year with Ariane 6. If you reuse 10 times, then you need to produce one rocket a year and I am not sure whether the industrial base can survive on manufacturing one or two launchers a year.
>>
>>12937402
from Mars? That would probably be the "we can't stay there more than a week" trajectory.
I mean you do end up back on earth a few months earlier, but most of your time is spent in transit.
>>
>>12937151
>>12937344
so to summarize, the French Space Agency thinks that...
>Sending humans to Mars is not for science. You'd only do it for glory
>Using Mars to guarantee the existence of human consciousness is dumb
>Humans don't do better than robots
>ESA has zero ambition to compete with the rest of the world
>Musk is a "complete mess"
>colonizing Mars is unethical
>BFR and the Raptor will never happen because Musk NEEDS NASA to cover the bill (???)
>to land people on Mars you can't just aerobrake
>To return you need to fly past Venus which is bad because it's hot (?????????)
>Zubrin's Mars idea is full of shit
>we can't land accurately on Mars
>Humans on Mars in the 2050s

>>12937407
brutal but probably true
>>
>>12937444
It's ESA so they have lower radiation limits than NASA and aren't willing to send people on one way colony boats like SpaceX.
>>
File: 1613770792267.jpg (77 KB, 407x464)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>12937296
We can build rockets?
>>
>>12937296
I didn't know we had our own rocket startup here.
>it's yet another smallsat launcher
It won't see past 2025, will it?

Fucking dumb cunts in Canberra should loosen up aerospace testing regulations and offer massive tax incentives for SpaceX to open up a Starship manufacturing plant here. They could build them using steel from Whyalla or Port Kembla, and then launch Starships from either Woomera or somewhere off the east coast.

If SpaceX are wanting to build 1000 of the bastards and have a million people on Mars, then they'll need to expand. This could be a massive opportunity to help boost the Australian economy. But of course, the Australian federal government sees banking and housing as the only industries worth protecting while they sell us out to the chinks. Bunch of cunts.
>>
>>12937435
SWITCH YOUR PEOPLE OVER TO REFURBISHMENT
IF YOU INCREASE CADENCE ENOUGH YOU COULD HIRE EVEN *MORE* PEOPLE
JFC

also he has a lot of confidence in reusability if you're only making 1 booster a year. They blow up from time to time
>>
>>12937151
>>12937344
>>12937454
Suddenly even Artemis looks bold and revolutionary by comparison. This is abhorrent. No wonder his type wants the Great Rebunga, they couldn't innovate their way out of a paper bag and can tell they're losing power.
>>
File: 1597450319490.jpg (735 KB, 1812x1358)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>12937470
I'm suddenly feeling a lot better about the SLS.
>>
File: 1600010107152.jpg (79 KB, 279x2222)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>12937296
>>12937461
>https://www.gspacetech.com/launch
Another smallsat. Due next year.
>https://youtu.be/M4fIrbpqTow
oh cool they're using hybrid engines.
>>
https://youtu.be/DY7dLvb99gs
pretty wholesome. These people really fucking like rockets
>>
>>12937470
>>12937475
No wonder people who worked on SLS never thought about how things could be better when all the other "big" space projects of the world are carried with the same enthusiasm as a bored middle schooler who just wants to play vidya, and probably same level of intelligence too
>>
File: feelsgoodman.jpg (15 KB, 200x217)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>12937518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBjkkSe4oU
>>
File: 1548878591524.jpg (60 KB, 758x711)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>12937151
>>12937344
Goddammit, why are these retarded boomers with unchangeable mindsets everywhere? I keep getting motherfuckers just like this as reviewers for my papers and I keep having to call them out on their retarded out of date ideas. Day of the retirement house when.
>>
>>12936456
What a piece of shit
>>
>>12937548
>Goddammit, why are these retarded boomers with unchangeable mindsets everywhere?
The Boomers were an enormous generation and then all started using birth control. Classic civilization killer.
>>
>>12936512
>>12936521
Fucking piece of trash, stop spamming it you dumb nigger
>>
>>12937555
The future is Amish, Mormon, and Muslim. Ain’t so bad
>>
File: MiG105.jpg (350 KB, 3000x1539)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
>>12936512
shoetle
>>
File: 1614275400673.jpg (266 KB, 1250x1417)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>12937555
We talking about birth rates?
>>
>>12937575
Cute space duck.
>>
>>12937565
Unironically get help anon
>>
File: IMG_0733.jpg (193 KB, 662x1000)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
Post rare Burans
>>
>>12937598
>uncensored upskirt shot
enjoy the ban
>>
File: 1615778650878.jpg (3.3 MB, 4920x6120)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>12937594
it's a mess but fuck me does it look cool
>>
File: 1612454257075.jpg (2.05 MB, 3091x3840)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>12937604
yolo
>>
>>12937579
Damn. Even Hispanics are below replacement rate.
>>
>>12937617
Keep in mind these projections are from before 2020 so they don't take the lockdown into account.
>>
File: sn11 tresspass.png (2.4 MB, 1612x1082)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB PNG
>>12937614
Recent

>>12937617
I never understood the reusable welder meme
>>
>>12937174
shame
>>
File: Birthrates.png (168 KB, 670x699)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>12937617
>>12937623
As someone who makes a hobby out of census and population data, I look forward to the full results on the affect of covid.
>>
File: 1592614130246.webm (1.6 MB, 1280x720)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB WEBM
>>12937545
Phenomenal. It's like humans have a natural love of space. It was always there, just dormant. SpaceX simply rekindled the fire that oldspace had smothered.
>>
>>12937594
in retrospect it’s wild that they were able to drop that brick on the landing strip every time
>>
>>12937639
or rather congress and politicians had smothered. Places like ULA were trying but kept getting shut down.
>>12936421
I wonder if they deliberately tried to make it look a bit like R2-D2. For normie appeal.
>>
>>12937617
Its almost like its expensive as fuck to live here, expensive as fuck to give birth here, and nothing is being done to alleviate these issues. When the bulk of the population struggles to keep themselves alive, how the fuck do you think they're going to scrounge up the money to support another?
>>
>>12937617
>>12937660
US-born Hispanics have been under replacement rate for decades. That's why they fought Trump on the wall so hard.
>>
>>12937660
>Its almost like its expensive as fuck to live here, expensive as fuck to give birth here
It isn’t tho as long as you avoid the mega cities
>>
File: 1610475530572.png (658 KB, 1166x1216)
658 KB
658 KB PNG
>>12937296
If Australia goes from nothing to launching payload I will seethe to eternity. It just isn't fair... Brazil has been trying for a literal half century...
>>
>>12937713
>Brazil
so what's their space program like? Have they ever seriously tried to build a rocket?
>>
>>12937713
/pol/ is always right
>>
>>12937468
his whole argument is built on top of the assumption that Ariane will never again be a commercially viable launch provider
>step 1: declare defeat
now you’re thinking like a euro
>>
File: 1611282412214.jpg (402 KB, 1000x656)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
>>12937720
Yes. It got killed when pic related killed 21 people on the launchpad 3 days before launch.
Since then, they handed over the project to the Germans who have done nothing but wank over it and produce a smallsat version that never got off the pad. We have our own Aerojew Shekeldyne (Avibras), who makes sure to delay the project as much as possible to keep on government payroll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLS-1_V03
>>
>>12937703
The only really cheap places to live are out the middle of bumfuck nowhere. I live in a town of 18k people right now, and even though costs of living are lower than where I lived last (Hampton Roads area, Virginia), there's also FUCK ALL out here in this town. There are few jobs (most are with one flavor of megacorp or another), and the house I'm renting is $700 a month, just for rent. Most of the small businesses out here are either full up or folded when the pandemic hit.

Assuming a min-wage job making about a thousand a month after taxes (if that), in one of the cheapest places around here that was available thats ~70% of the paycheck gone, just for a roof. Then there's power, gas, vehicle fuel, internet, phone, and food that all have to be paid for. If you're careful about it, you MIGHT be able to break even. God fucking forbid something goes wrong with your vehicle, or you have a medical emergency, or any number of sudden expenses come up.
>>
>>12937344
>>12937151
french. 'ate 'em
>>
>>12935604
imagine a Shuttle Buran joint mission
>>
>>12937654
For as much hate as they get for being "oldspace", ULA truly is the Master Splinter in the "Ninja Turtles growing up" meme. They were fighting the good fight long before Spacex and Rocket Lab even existed
>>
>>12936880
Gross
>>
>>12937794
Is this a pasta or something
>>
>>12937813
it is now
>>
File: 1591390107959.jpg (449 KB, 1502x881)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
>>12937813
not that anon, but ULA was about as ambitious as you could get using oldspace disposable rockets

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/ula-laying-foundations-econosphere-cislunar-space/
>>
>>12937151
The French have been wrong quite a bit in recent generations. Lets not forget that their generals didn't believe in mechanization or a modern air force right before WWII
>>
>>12937834
>giant lightning bolt striking Boca Chica
oh, Tory
>>
>>12937847
looks closer to Houston or Dallas if you ask me
>>
>>12937834
ULA is based(relatively compared to the rest of oldspace) if you could jettison the tumor that is Boeing straight into a neutron star, or Arkansas whichever is denser at the time.
>>
I fucking hate you spaceplane faggots but I'll be nice and share the new SNC video.
>https://vimeo.com/530507911/4d375e144b
>>
>>12935239
>Dishy
die redditor
>>
File: 1592087591078.jpg (359 KB, 1200x630)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>12937797
>>
>>12935239
kill yourself
>>
File: EZYHT26XkAEW6f4.jpg (203 KB, 675x715)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>12937918
Spaceplanes are a dead end anon i'm sorry in the short term capsules like the dragon are cheaper and already available and in the long term we have starship and future propulsive vehicles.
>>
>>12937113
if the price isn't less then a million its never happening
>>
>>12937943
The difference between a spaceplane and tail-sitter propulsive landing from orbit is the last thirty seconds of flight. The TPS belly flop takes it transonic so you either add wheels and aerodynamic controls to slow down on a runway, or you flip vertical and suicide burn.
>>
For as much hate as they get for being "oldspace", Blue Origin truly is the turtle in the "tortoise and the hare" meme. They were fighting the good fight long before Spacex and Rocket Lab even existed.
>>
>>12937980
No lol.
>>
>>12937548
Just curious anon, what are your papers on?
>>
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/04/02/sources-spacex-facility-planned-near-tesla-plant.html
New SpaceX facility planned in Austin. Might be new headquarters.
>>
File: OIP.jpg (7 KB, 474x355)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>12937979
And? suicide burns are the future.
>>
somebody make a new thread
>>
File: EZc839yXYAA9bvW.jpg (439 KB, 1892x2048)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>12937980
Yeah the problem with that is the tortoise actually did something. Blue Origin does not. But here is a picture of a rocket that has already accomplished things and is actually real.
>>
>>12937977
well, elon's never been wrong before
>>
>>12937980
Kek
>>
>>12938045
i don't think you understand 99% of the funding for the program anyways will come from starlink, not tickets
>>
>>12935021
Why don’t we just move mars into orbit around the earth?
>>
>>12938037
Staging: >>12938050
>>
File: Torbernite.png (3.81 MB, 2081x1557)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PNG
>>12938011
Not spaceflight per se but uranium chemistry
>>
New thread Staging... Ignition!!!
>>12938064
>>12938064
>>12938064
>>
>>12938065
>>12938054
That's ksp-tier staging all right
>>
>>12938083
The only real way to do it
>>
>>12938061
Very cool. Mineralogy is for chads

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.