[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
T-shirt ideas
> Apply for a postdoc position in the UK.
> Get automatic HR email at 2 am saying I got rejected and no feedback can be provided at this early stage
> A couple of days later receive an email from HR encouraging me to apply for another open position at the same University
> Apply for said position
> Rejected
> Reply mentioning the previous HR email the with the name of the person encouraging me to apply.
> Ghosted

Wtf? How ward it is to be a lab monkey?

I'm going to graduate in a few months. The corporate job market has been hell too. I have applied to 50+ jobs and landed one job interview where, of course, I was rejected without feedback.

I have a broad set of skills (experimental and numerical simulation), I have papers, conferences, collaborative work (to show I am not "autistic" and I can work with others), I have job experience. They dont even allow me to wage slave! How low do they want me to go before giving me the opportunity to slave my soul away for Mr. Shekelberg?

Not even with Boris cucking away for wind energy I have been able to get into the job market.

Anyway... we share our miseries in this thread.
>>
Literally the only degree worth getting is CS, you'll be working as a codemonkey whatever you do, there is no escaping it.
>>
whats your field?
>>
>>12557360
I did a phd in civil engineering. I am questioning it so much
>>
>>12557408
Civil engineering. My research area combines fluid and structural engineering. I consider it quite versatile so I though that I was going to get at least some interviews... how naive of me
>>
>>12557411
In a country where building a new railway takes a decade (or more)? Where we have almost no manufacturing? Where all the big construction companies are owned by surly foreigners?

learn to code pal hate to break it to you
>>
>>12557352
Just show up in person, they cant ghost you like that.
I have faced several ghosters and they die inside, they treat you nice and hope you wont mention it.
>>
>Apply to Google
>Coding challenge
>Pass
>Do technical phone interviews
>Pass
>Get thrown into something called "Host matching" which is where teams contact you in order to see if youre a good fit
>If you don't match you're out, better luck next time
>3 host matching interviews later, no response
>COVID hits and Google says they are finished hiring and all my potential matches are null and void
>Whole process took 6 months

Never again.
>>
>>12557420

Apply to multinational corps or overseas
>>
>>12557494
Sounds like you didn't pass the autism test. Chin up though, if you can get to that stage with google, it's just a numbers game for you. Keep applying!
>>
>>12557360
Bullshit, there are hundreds of professions and most equally important, in the sense that the world would stop without any of them. Do you thik you can rank your internal organs by order of importance? Is your brain more important than your lungs? Are the wheels more important than the spark plugs? Same concept
>>
File: lvk9vzldkkqx.jpg (313 KB, 1140x1128)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>12557512
BUT I DID!
>>
>>12557505
That's what I have been doing. Unfortunately I heard that there are a massive number of applications for junior positions
>>
>>12557533
Apply to small and medium sized companies. Almost everyone works at no-name companies. Apply means physically knock on the door.
>>
>>12557512

Thanks anon. I signed with Amazon so it worked out in the end. I just like pissing on host matching because the process is IMO, pretty shit. I heard its easier though if you have a team lined up beforehand though.
>>
>>12557352

I hate the whole culture of no feedback/ghosting. I understand there are a lot of candidates to get to but this whole black box everyone is thrown into gets really tiring after awhile
>>
>>12557597
Just show up.
>>
>>12557352
>get PhD
>live in a country with literally no industry or academia
>go back to washing dishes for a living
>>
>>12557609
Damn.
>>
>be me 6 months before graduating BSc CS
>set myself as searching for job on LinkedIn
>get call from headhunter within 12 hours
>you want to work at this it-consultancy?
>ok
>2 weeks later do interview
>receive offer next day
>100k starting

tell me again why CS is a meme?
>>
File: NzDPf09.jpg (87 KB, 736x960)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>12557609
Start an industry. Your country depends on you.
>>
>>12557440
I don't know man. I just wanna wage slave
>>
Bump with another story

> a recruiter from a big engineering company contacted me through Linkedin
> Get excited because this is the first time someone contacted me for a job
> Talk with him and sell myself like a starving whore with drug abstinence.
> The recruiter is pleased with my shamelessness and monkey dancing abilities.
> he asked me the earliest time I can be available for working
> Tell him that I am almost finished with my thesis and I need a couple of months. Say that we can talk more in the future about when I can be the best fit or something.
> oh....
> Ghosted
>>
>>12557637
Me too but we live in a 2nd world country with pretentions of first world status. Its over, were cooked.
>>
>>12557352
do a postdoc with your phd supervisor

and the purpose of a phd is to build network to already have a postdoc before the phd is officially over
>>
>>12557352
>How low do they want me to go before giving me the opportunity to slave my soul away for Mr. Shekelberg?

Mr. Shekelberg only hires the best of the best. And, I'm sorry to tell you this, but Postdoc does not scream 'best of the best'. It screams failed academic. Now I am saying this but I'd still put more blame on the current economy than on you. You are fighting an uphill battle so unless you are the perfect candidate you are probably not getting very far through the interview process.
>>
>>12557719
Companies dont hire the best because the best is not needed in most situations.
>>
>>12557633
Well, unfortunately my country doesn't have investments. It all goes into landlording so businesses are dead in the water right now and have been for a long time.
Since this faggot country does everything it can to get rid of its young people I'm either trying to move far out into the bush and stop contributing to this society or I'm just leaving. Not supporting a system that won't support us in return.
>>
>>12557731
If the economy is shit and unemployment is through the roof then yes. These companies are getting seasoned veterans applying for even mid-level positions.

Corporate america is feasting right now.
>>
>>12557912
I dont think the HR roasties know the difference, and small and medium companies dont get that many applicants. Its only Fortune 500 companies being buried in CVs.
>>
>>12557841
Can you do some sort of scientific research that could lead to manufacture?
Can you do a normie business like logistics/wholesale trade/retail/transport to fund your research or its just a peasant/lord economy?
>>
>>12557919
>I dont think the HR roasties know the difference
They don't know the difference but they know how to read CV bullet points.

>and small and medium companies dont get that many applicants. Its only Fortune 500 companies being buried in CVs.

No, fortune 500 companies always get buried in CVs. The difference is that most of CVs came from already employed people. But now many of those are unemployed and therefore desperate. Thus they are now applying to everything they can. I've seen some of my close friends who did not have a job pre-covid cycle through literally who companies despite having a good resume and plenty of experience.
>>
>>12557352
>UK

There's your problem Your economy is deep in the loo, mate

Get into freelancing or move
>>
>>12557924
yeah I don't mean to be a total doomer but there isn't investment in this country because landlording is heads and shoulders above everything else in terms of reliable profit, so it's just about feudalism
>can you do some sort of scientific research
i unironically asked about this lol, and every single company here doesn't actually have an R&D department, they just wait until the research is done in the US, Europe, or China, and then let it come over here by itself
the thing is i'm realising more and more that there's no incentive for this to change, because of the huge percentage of population growth coming from migration, it literally doesn't matter what this generation says since we get flooded with overseas people ready to buy us all out and keep the system in place
i'm sort of rambling rather than posting anything /sci/ now but fuck it
>>
>>12557926
Literally who companies are almost all companies. All my life i have worked in literally who companies, we do some background work for the famous companies
>>
>>12557494
I had a friend who had this happen to them (minus the covid part, it was a few years ago). The feedback he got was he didn't have any "professional" coding experience despite having 6 years of theoretical modeling work under his belt. Apparently they don't trust you can code even if you have written entire modeling packages. Sometimes people are retarded because they don't understand what a Phd does so they assume they don't know any "real world" skills. At least not as well as some undergrad with a comp sci degree and an internship at some shit software company in nebraska.
>>
>>12557352
>Share your misery. Job hunting experiences
I'm a straight white male. It doesn't matter how much better I am than the other applicants, the job goes to the diversity candidate.
>>
>>12558540
I feel this so much
>>
>>12558540
I'm not even white nor straight an I'm getting rejected everywhere. I even make sure to put both for those extra brownie points lol
>>
File: banner.jpg (40 KB, 780x200)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>12558640
You ok?
>>
>>12558640
Are you a woman tho?
>>
>>12558579
Theres a 2:1 bias for females in academia. Makes you wonder what it is in the workforce.

https://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360
>>
>>12557352
Graduate school isn't about your work its about your NETWORK.
If you don't make contacts during grad school or have a professor that can link you into a company or group, you did it wrong.
>>
>>12557352
>Sent an open candidacy mid december for a postdoc position
>I will receive the formal offer for the position next week
I feel great right now
>>
>>12557951
What are the earnings like/ what do you do?
>>
>>12558746
So true. Do the absolute minimum required to pass your courses, use your spare time to start a company that specializes in whatever you do your thesis on. Get contracts from the companies that you worked with in grad school.
>>
File: SAqObA0.png (155 KB, 1230x248)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>apply to prestigious school for research scientist position after i finish phd
>they're worried i'm overqualified (despite saying they want a phd) and i'm going to be bored and don't want to offer me the job
i just want to make beer money and live alone dammit
>>
>>12558789
Its a research lab in optics, we have contracts with military contractors whos names come up on newspapers. Pay seems below average for this field but thats because of the city i live plus my own personal low social status.
Before i worked at a factory, they too had important customers, no one ever reads about that factory on newspapers. I heard many small companies are functionally B2B contractors for the big companies like Boeing.
>>
>>12559090
Many coworkers use the experience to jump to the big name company that trades in the stock market. A way to be hired by the big defense contractor is just to work at one of their suppliers, then you may actually get to see their employees and executives as they visit us to tour and make orders, make contracts, you wont be a full stranger.
>>
it is hard to get to postdoc position?
>>
>>12557440
>all the big construction companies are owned by surly foreigners
you've just described a country which is slated for colonization
>>
>>12557477
people who ghost should be exposed
>>
>>12559117
Don't I know it buddy.
>>
>>12557619

Copium is a hell of a drug
>>
>>12559106

Quite hard if you don't have a pre-existing contact. My field is chemistry and I get the impression that many people find their postdocs by networking with PIs at conferences, etc. It's a lot harder if you're applying with no pre-existing connection.

Quite often there will already be a candidate lined up internally for a postdoc position, and the university is only advertising the job to comply with requirements for "fairness", even though they never intend to give any external candidates a chance.
>>
How can I get a job with a phd?
>>
>>12559833
You can't.
>>
>>12557352
Here goes a sad one:

> Apply for engineering job on random chemical industry
> Get accepted the next day
> became chief operating officer
> now making shit tons of money by rejecting applications
>>
>>12557706
Smooth move passing up income for that degree. Hope that vellum is worth it.
>>
>>12557477
>I have faced several ghosters and they die inside, they treat you nice and hope you wont mention it.
Based
>>
>>12558540
>I'm a straight white male. It doesn't matter how much better I am than the other applicants, the job goes to the diversity candidate.
I notice my female peers in CS getting jobs much quicker than the men
>>
>>12560254
here's a question
if you're a hapa, when these job applications ask for race is it better to check off white or asian?
or check off "would rather not say"
>>
>>12560276
Decline to state, but they'll just find out when/if they interview you, or look you up.
>>
>>12557706
Nigga ain't nobody gonna keep a position open for two months just to wait for your ass. That was the moment for you to be a MAN and accept that you would have to juggle a job and your thesis for a few months. That's what I did.

Jesus... /sci/ really needed the /scg/. Half of you people are socially retarded.
>>
>>12560353
was this a masters or doctorate thesis
>>
>>12560383
It was my undergrad thesis but still I don't see why you would not do it even if it was for a master's thesis. A starving whore with drug abstinence would have done it. You must not have wanted the money that much.

I'd say there are probably very few cases where it is justified to say no to money. Even still, while the recruitment process was going on all you had to do was do crunch time on your thesis. Even beyond that the first few weeks are usually induction i.e. not a full workload which means your job would have a light mental weight so that you could use most of your energy finishing up that thesis.

Well, I hope it was worth it.
>>
>>12558540
Are you sure it's not because you just suck?
>>
>>12560563
i'm not even that guy you retarded faggot
>>
bachelors degree in biology

pour liquid from one vial to another for 8 hours for 25/hr
>>
>>12558728
this
just become a tranny
>>
>>12560276
>>12560300
Would rather not say means it gets thrown in the bin
>>
>>12557352
>be me at aps march meeting 2020.
>been hauling ass on a lone wolf experiment for over five years. Burnt out and in terrible situation with advisor (plays politics over science, regularly threatens to fire me, etc)
>meeting cancelled but have to go to some funding review
>get there early and talk to the program manager
>tell him I am looking to get the fuck out
>he tells me to apply to the place he works at
>apply, do the interview/give a seminar in may (virtual)
>two weeks later get offer, 150k/year staff scientist position, moving benefits, 15k signing bonus
>tell my advisor I am graduating October he says december, negotiate to november.
It's easy to get a job if you sell out, have a good track record of solid work, etc.
>>
>>12560889
A good advisor seems to be the make or break factor in how enjoyable the grad school experience is. Also highlights the importance of networking. Good effort and congratulations. What's your field?
>>
>>12557946
lol this is Australia no doubt. Property is king, fuck all innovation or research.
>>
>Ask dad for job
>Get job
Why is this hard for some people?
>>
>>12559833
Don't mention you have a PhD.
>>
>started working directly after bachelors (still took 6 months to find a position though)
>in a fairly stable R&D industry job
>still feel pretty self-conscious about being only a BS pleb
>company has an education support policy and manager himself is pretty keen on me doing a postgrad
>contact some potential supervisors in October
>only one replies
>have a bit of a discussion start planning a potential project
>holiday period comes and goes radio-silent
>no new replies yet in the new year

>>12557841
>>12557946
This sounds like you're talking about Australia (especially saying bush). What is your PhD in? There's a decent amount of research here but only in a few companies, either biotech/med devices (CSL, Cochlear, Nanosonics, Saluda, Teva, etc etc) or building materials (James Hardie especially). There's also a lot of defence research done here (to avoid some shitty US laws) but that's for engineers.
I'm a biochem chad so I'm able to both play up my chemistry skills and go for the chem/analytical jobs and play up my bio skills and go for the biotech companies.
>>
OP here.
I have been applying for entry level job positions with a PhD in civil engineering. Lately, I have been thinking that competing against 21-22 yo with BSc is not a good idea. I'm 30.

Maybe consulting jobs are more suitable for me. Although most of them require several years of job experience (I only have one year + teaching exp). Unfortunately, this field is highly skewed towards practical experience. Maybe I can move to another sector? Any ideas?
>>
>>12557440
>learn to code pal hate to break it to you
all coding will be outsourced in India very soon tho
>>
>>12561136
>decent amount of research here
>but only in a few companies

bruh

but yeah medtech is one of the only industries here with a focus on innovation.

>self-conscious about being only a BS pleb

yeah I feel that. employers here do seem pretty supportive of employee development so that's one good thing. are you going for an MS or PhD?
>>
>>12561136
>This sounds like you're talking about Australia
Nah, the shithouse next door. As I understand it Australia has options to make a living outside of landlording, but over here it's really fucking bad right now. Tried applying to the telecom companies since I had relevant skills but they just said oh nah, we don't do R&D here since NZ is too small, but the reality is all the money goes to buying up land.
>>
>>12561245
Just move then bro. Broaden your horizons and all that shit
>>
>>12557706
Bruh recruitment doesn’t want to know they have you. People who’re competent can probably get more money or work somewhere else. If anything you act too good and over confident not desperate and poor. It’s like trying to get fucked, you need to neg the interview people
>>
>>12561245
NZ? I thought you were like the king of the hill lately with your low COVID cases and all.
>>
>>12557352
I have a cs degree and after quitting my salaried job in IT i got a job in a factory now i program CNC(program is not the right word to use but whatever lmao)

If you're halfway intelligent at all you can make a fucking killing in skilled trades as a diemaker or electrician, kind of comfy but 95% of people I interact with are supreme brainlets
>>
>>12562044
Why did you quit your job?

t. quit my software engineer position, living on savings now
>>
>>12559040
Literally just dumb your resume down and send it back. All HR does is read your resume and check boxes if you score high enough you get to move on if you don't; try again.

You could probably get through almost any job with like 20 minutes of explanation and common sense so getting hired is more about how much hot air you can blow up the HR/hiring managers ass with as many buzzwords as humanly possible.
>>
>>12562059
Low tolerance for pain and stupidity makes me ache. Everyday I woke up the debate was go hang myself in the garage or go to work.

Honestly was probably just boredom because I'm pretty much in the same situation now that I'm at the end of a 4 year apprenticeship.

Go to school and learn all the techniques and skills you can, they will never be able to teach you passion. Boredom is the real killer
>>
>>12562065
i wasn't talking to hr people, i was talking to the people i was replacing or would be working with
>>
File: 1570465905236.jpg (15 KB, 248x244)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>12557352
>Graduate with a 2:2 BSc in Physics in the UK
>Apply for a handful of graduate positions with no luck
>One company website had the Submit button disappear for graduates without a 2:1 or higher
>Remain a shut-in for three years before moving abroad and retraining as a code monkey
I don't remember to whom I applied, but really no one was interested because it wasn't a 2:1 or first.
>>
>>12559040
Show up and annoy the HR roasties, tell them they you are qualified. Its easier to give you a 5 minute interview than calling the cops.
Regardless dont apply at megacorps with HR, go to medium sized companies
>>
im on application 93 after graduating. might tie a rope instead of filling out 94
>>
>>12561191
This meme is outdated. Indians have fucked up so badly before that Western countries would rather pay white programmers.
>>
>>12557352
broaden your horizons. Everyone is applying to the same places. You have to really dig for the gem positions that aren't blasted all over the place. I just finished my PhD and got a job right out the gate.
>look around for internship
>find a startup company that had some intern positions in the summer, non listed now
>email them with my resume- was 50/50 bench work and stats/image analysis/machine learning
>they give me internship immediately, work hard for a month, given a position contract to start the second I graduate
Really good company too, pays decent (about median of my area for the job), good 401k matching, nearly 1 month vacation time, etc (USA here)
Meanwhile another colleague spent 6 months applying to the top hits when you google "company X hiring", all massive companies or hot-shot startups. Look for places your skills would be beneficial. Where I work is barely tangential to what I did my PhD in (I did cell bio, this place is quant-chemisty) but I spun my skills and can apply them in this setting fairly easily, and they benefit from having someone who can code/do ML and has lab experience with cell work, something they wanted but didn't get because only chemists were applying to a chemistry company
Poke around, look broader- don't look for a company X, look for a position X in any company (Hell, food labs/grocery store companies hire scientists all the time for shit). Look outside the box.
>>
>>12562701
>This meme is outdated. Indians have fucked up so badly before that Western countries would rather pay white programmers.
This is more or less true; Coders are VERY badly needed still. I don't have a degree near CS, but I can code, and It was really easy for me to get hired. People who know how to code need to stop applying to google/facebook/places full of the top tier coders where its competitive as hell and apply literally any other company on earth that needs coders to start with. Great pay and easy to find work.
>>
>>12560567
you go gurl
>>
>>12562709
But then they won't get the Silicon Valley experience (i.e. getting fucked in the ass on some toilet in a gay bar)
>>
>>12560934
Quantum memeology.
>>
>>12562367
Should work on your interpersonal skills then anon, consider dumbing yourself down so the brainlets you are talking to don't feel too inadequate. Alternatively just do what everyone else does during any kind of interview and straight up just lie between your teeth and figure out after a week or two if its something you can/want to do.
>>
>>12557352
Apply for a job as a high school teacher out in the middle of the nowhere, I’m sure they’d hire you in a second. Then just keep applying for better work elsewhere.
>>
>>12561176
>Although most of them require several years of job experience (I only have one year + teaching exp).
Just fucking lie Lmao. This is why you’re failing. You don’t understand the game.
>>
>>12562969
if that's what its all about then "the game" is broken and so are we as a species.
when people who can't lie effectively can't get a job it does not bode well for humanity's long term future
>>
>>12562999
I agree.
>>
>>12562457
How did you get a 2:2? What did you do throughout the degree?
>>
>>12562705
How did you juggle an internship towards the end of your PhD? Did you just accept it and then tell your PI to get fucked when they bitched that you weren't writing?
>>
>>12562705
OP here. Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I need to look deeper into medium size companies that maybe they don't even have an application process but they might be willing to hire someone that matches their interests.

How different can I get and how can I adapt my skills to sell myself in different areas away or related to civil eng
>>
lol nothing beats how pathetic i am

>BSc Mathematics
>4 years analytics experience from coop/internship
>graduate
>send out hundreds, thousands of applications, only get a few interviews
>get ghosted after every interview
>cant find job
>do manual labour to survive since its the only decent paying job that doesn't require experience
>start drinking to cope
>now living paycheck to paycheck after studying advanced mathematics and analytics for most of young adult life

gonna kill myself soon.
>>
>>12562003
No dude, it's embarrassing to see the praise NZ gets overseas through our PR queen when we have so many problems. We have a fucking 1% homeless rate right now.
>>
>OMG I CAN'T GET A JOB????
You are a white male.

Are you literally fucking retarded or are you still clinging to your puppy dog phase 5-10 years after it should be over?
You are systematically discriminated against in every aspect of society.
There are explicit directives to exclude you as much as possible that come from the highest authorities.

Do you not understand what 'affirmative action' is? Do you not know about 'disparate impact' legal doctrine?
Do you not understand what outsourcing and immigration are?
Literally the #1 goal of society is to replace you (while hoping enough idiots like in this thread keep working to prevent a total collapse before automation can truly take over).

You either need to get out of the way (kill yourself - best option for most of you) or be ready to follow the leaders who will correct the situation (arm yourself and be prepared for constant warfare).
Obviously no one here has the capacity for leadership, so just forget about that.
>>
>>12558640
bot/shill
>>
>>12563250
Send mesaages to highee ups of companies in Linkedin. I am praying for you
>>
>>12563250
bro, please stop drinking or reduce it to a healthy level

being down on your luck and struggling to make a living is more common than you would think in the US, but drinking will fuck up your health in the long run
>>
>>12563348
shut up nerd
beer is good for you
>>
>>12557946
Agriculture and aquaponics or aeroponics? Hydroponics requires massive investment, but not all *ponics are so expensive.
>>
>>12563250
>he fell for the math degree meme
>>
To everyone who complains about not getting feedback on rejected applications. Getting feedback on your application is exceptionally rare, because it possibly gives the rejected application to contest their rejection in court, which is a huge liability. You can imagine, who you can thank for that.

There is little advice I can give, except to write a specific opening letter demonstrating that you have actually red the job advertisement. Plus points if you show that you can read between the lines of the ad and mention what they themselves may have missed in the ad, but ofc keep it very brief.

If your resume looks bad to HR, maybe invest some time to find the actual hiring manager/technical expert and mail them your application directly. The technical guys are usually much more forgiving of your anime porn addiction than the HR thots, as long as you convince them you have at least a vague idea of the technical stuff. Once you have their attentation, you have a foot in the door and HR will usually just buckle.
>>
>>12563399
none of this is true
the hiring manager will never bother with you directly
>>
File: 1416540788033.gif (1.85 MB, 620x349)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB GIF
>>12563399
>You can imagine, who you can thank for that.
is it black people
>>
>>12563436
yeah people saying this are the ones who believe in stories about their parents walking into a job and giving the hiring manager a firm handshake to get the job.
>>
>>12563449
jews wielding retard subhumans (nonwhites and/or women) as a weapon against the people who are stupid enough to give a shit about them

women are for three things, and in this order: beating, making babies, doing chores
>>
>>12563460
that only works if you look him square in the eye
>>
>>12557637
you dont understand how fucked the work market is.

A lot of jobs that used to be enough for a comfy existence are now done by people who do will work for the bare minimum, some prefer to lose money while they work or even work for free just to get some resumé, some angsty bored kids even pay to do some jobs as a "life experience" and for every of this jobs you compete with literal millions of people who are desperate to the point of madness to get it, they will do anything they will get up at 4 am, work extra hours, accept pay reduction accept any kind of intromision into their lives, change their whole personality and mindset, accept humillation and sexual abuse, all for the chance to make the mere minimum needed for substenance.

This is true now of any traditional job, even professionals and high paying ones went to shit. As other anon pointed out, the only hope is to aim at relatively new jobs that are in high demand and still havent been converted to a form of slavery by the system.

Im sorry anon this is the new truth, we all grew up thinking a middle class standard of living was the norm, that we could always more or less rely on having a roof, living more or less near the interesting parts of our society and having more or less roof, cars videogames, vacations, education, healthcare, etc... and more importantly, being sure youd be able to keep that the next month and having some free time to exist and think.

im sorry but that is a thing of the past. The amount of population has increased exponentially and the amount of goods produced linearly, on top of that the top richets people are much less willing to share, so kiss "normal living" goodbye, this whole corona business is just an introduction to the cyberpunk grave we have dug for ourselves.

The new normality is that there is no job security, and theres no guaranteed standard of living for anyone except the filthy rich, if you live like middle class this month, you might not next month...
>>
>>12557411
>getting a PhD without already having a job locked in

Literally priced yourself out of the market. Nobody can afford you and no one will hire you to take a lower tier job because they know you’ll bolt as soon as something at your level comes along.

Don’t get a PhD unless you have connections already.
>>
>>12557637
so you just want to lay back and have someone else make sure you get a nice fat paycheck while you just do some mechanical work without worry like if it were your human right to live nicely?

please explain to me why your employer shouldnt just pay you enough to keep you alive while he reaps the benefits for being the master thinker and the master risk taker

anyone who even talks about what they deserve as workers are literal commies. you always get exactly what you deserves in any situation, complaining about that its like complaining about the laws of gravity, either change the initial conditions or shut up but dont poison the air with your pathetic whines about fairness
>>
>>12563277
>affirmative action

Protects veterans, the disabled, and the elderly as well.
>>
>>12563277
this is irrelevant, the truth is there are very few jobs to go around, affirmative action doesnt change that much.
>>
>get math degree
>apply for entry level finance jobs
>first one calls me back in under 2 hours and ask for interview
>get offered job
I feel insanely lucky
>>
>>12562705
You are american you fool, the situation is completely different in shit hole britain
>>
>>12563436
That is mostly true, unless the hiring manager is desperate, has deadlines to keep and the HR department is overzealous in their application screening. In a normal functioning company the last part should not happen as much as people here would probably want people to believe.
>>
>>12564700
What is the rank of your uni? Top 10?
>>
The job market is insane. Any tips?
>>
>>12564236
Sending manufacturing jobs to the third world was just a global affirmative action scheme
>>
>>12559105
Oh nice. I've been thinking of applying to Bae systems, rolls royce and the like but not sure I can be asked with workload etc so maybe something like this is the way to go.
>>
Unemployed for over 3 years with a math degree

I hide my graduation date, but when I have screening interviews, the interview is immediately cut short when the lady from HR realizes I graduated a while ago.

Sometimes they have to ask the manager of my role if it's okay to let me further into the interview process, but they're actually helpful and give me a chance, usually it's some form of test.

I'm not even applying for graduate schemes or roles at competitive/prestigious places. I'm just mad that nobody really wants to give you a chance if you messed up in the past.
>>
>>12566233
But I thought math gets you starting 300k?
Did you get a BS or was it a PhD?
What field of math?
How did you mess up?
>>
>>12566260
>But I thought math gets you starting 300k?
There are people who make some very good money depending if you go to IBs or HFTs or big tech company.

>How did you mess up?
I had terrible depression during my final year and the years after. I still graduated with something decent (2:1), but I can't undo the years wasted.
>>
>>12563254
Boo Hoo. You do realize we are one of the only legit first world countries right?
>>
>>12557411
Get a work at Autodesk.
>>
>>12564236
>JOBS ARE SCARCE
>DOUBLING OR TRIPLING THE HIRING POOL DOESN'T EFFECT THAT
you are beyond retardation, kill yourself immediately
>>
File: wastewater.jpg (215 KB, 1024x768)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>12557411
>phd
>civil engineering
You fucked up. You should've just gotten a B.Eng and taken the wastewater management pill.
>>
>>12562701
Yep, turns out writing code is the easy part. The real moneymaker is talking with your customers, deciphering their schizo requirements, and giving them what they didn't even know they actually wanted.

Can't do that 5 time zones away with some 3rd world codemonkey barely fluent in english.

Also, pity the poor fool with a degree in management who can't code but thinks he can just clean up the schizo requirements a bit, send it overseas, and get working software back. Turns out cleaning up the requirements IS the essence of coding, which this manager can't do. Catch-22
>>
>>12559195
I'm dying, best shit i've read all day
>>
>ex CS student
>work for 1 year then got fucked by health problem
>covid happened and i have no job for a whole 1 year
>100+ applications and nothing
>got multiple interviews but always failed
i'm going to have interview again next week but i honestly not feeling confident what should i answer when they asked why i have no job for 1 year and what i've been doing
>>
>>12557352
Be mindful of the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" questions
Got PhD in algebraic topology but quit academia because it was really taxing on my mental health, I just couldn't do it. HRs in firms tend to get the impression that I would get back to academia at some point due to overqualification, and they don't want to waste resources to only lose the employee in several years. Basically you have to convince them (and yourself) that it's not a temporary position for you (at least in some industries, I applied for positions where I would have to go through some certification/licence bullshit so it would not be cheap for the firm to set everything up).
>>
>>12563250
Find an excel sheet job and slave away, you'll be faster than 90% of the staff, that's the most practical job for your skillset if you don't know programming. Otherwise do economics/actuarial.
My job is dumb as hell but i learned 10 fields of math during downtime
>>
>BS, ChemE
>Graduate, no job
>Some random internship I snagged at the last minute that has nothing to do with engineering lasts me the first 3 months
>Unemployed 5-6 months
>Get hourly temp lab monkey job, hate it, work it for 9 months, apply for other jobs, get finance job
>Work finance job for a while, covid hits, go 100% remote, be hit by intense anxiety and depression
>Get fired for doing bad job during 'rona
>Have sent out ~100 apps
>Gonna accept a shitty lab monkey job again
The trick is to 1) always call after two weeks using whatever random number is on their contact us page and 2) do so many interviews that you have to put more energy into not looking impatient and pissed off than into not looking nervous.

So, if I actually want to be an engineer, do I gotta get an M.S.? Because I'm not social enough to have the recommendation letters I'd need to get into grad school and not smart enough to get through it. I suppose being a wage slave in our neofeudal society is what's in store for my future.
>>
>>12559040
turns out they weren't looking for a phd holder
i don't know why the kid who posted the ad said they were looking for a phd
met with the PI and he said he has to talk to HR about creating a new job ad so hopefully that's not just a polite way of telling me to fuck off
>>
>>12574887
>not smart enough to get through it
everyone basically gets passed along in grad school as long as you put in effort
>>
I (temporarily, it turned out) left office-cuckery after 10 years or so after being invited to some friends' small biz - which didn't work out. It took a while to another job back in IT. To be fair, it was just general IT app support and I just wanted to get paid in those years. After 6 interviews I finally got another job that per hour I worked out paid less (with inflation included) than my weekend factory job I had when I was 17.
Got let go from that office job early this year, first time I've been fired from a full time 'normal' job.
>>
>>12566260
>But I thought math gets you starting 300k?
I guess that's USA? It's been a while, but a typical grad starting salary in the UK is around 25 up to maybe £40k at the upper end. Maybe at investments banks in central London you might get slightly higher. I could be out of the loop on these figures now tho. $300k for some guy whose never had a "proper" job or proven ways to make money for a company sounds mental.
>>
Finished a master's in CS in spring 2020. No job, can't pass these stupid leetcode interviews. Even literally who companies are doing them. I hate this shit so much.
>>
>>12566591
Are you fucking nuts? NZ is absolutely fucked beyond belief when it comes to our future. Just look at what's happening to our economy.
>>
>>12575697
Literally just grind leetcode every day
>>
>>12566289
I had the same thing. Maybe save up and do a master or something, it's a bit of a reset button.
>>
>>12557352
Are you a male?
>>
>>12558746
>grad school has been over distance due to the coof so the only networking done was the first semester
fuck one of my buddies dropped out and went back to truck driving cause he couldnt stand this online school bullshit, I should have done the same.
>>
File: 1608609680454.png (608 KB, 1920x1090)
608 KB
608 KB PNG
>mfw graduated last Spring
>Just did an interview Monday for a job I'm 100% qualified for and think the interview went well
>I've been rejected and ghosted so much I can't even imagine what getting a job offer is like and assume I'll never get one
>>
File: agony.jpg (633 KB, 1915x1007)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
Post your spreadsheets
>Semi-regular thoughts of suicide
>>
>>12578395
>that organization of job applications though
I just check emails. 1 or 0, interview/no interview. Job/no job.
>>
>>12578395
OCD will never get you a job, fix that problem first
>>
>thinks web application job-offers will land him a job
guys, online job platforms are a filter, a trap to keep socialy inept applicants out of the bussiness. Go outside, meet other people, build a network and eventually a job offer will rise through social interaction, that's how life works and how things always had been and will always be. Stop being a pussy and man up, no matter how many technological advances there exist you can't evade the truth: STOP EVADING REALITY, you dumb losers.
>>
>>12557841
> Describe any south european state
>>
Go to a bar with the aim of doing coke with some alpha looking yuppie dudes and soon a job shall ye have.
>>
File: ikacy9dlzvi51.jpg (34 KB, 640x427)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>12563250
Should have got a Ph.D., faggot.
>>
>>12563399
>because it possibly gives the rejected application to contest their rejection in court
FAAAAAAARK, I was literally writing advice resume/career advice on the rejection emails for undergrad interns yesterday. You know, like paying it forward. I was a fucktard during the early years of my undergrad so I really would've appreciated someone slapping the shit out of me and sorting me out.
>>
>>12557528
>Is your brain more important than your lungs?
The function of your lungs can be artificially replaced
Your brain, not so much
>>
>>12578395
good idea anon, gonna use this down the road
>>12578438
fuck you neurotypical
>>
Remembering about this one story still makes me feel like I want to cry if I give it more than a passing thought. Basically I applied to a company that I did an internship in as a Business Intelligence, which was my field as an intern anyway. I aced the test and did like two or three interviews and generally each one went pretty well. It came up to the point that I was even asked "When can I start?" "Expected salary", security questions and background and what not, all generally good signs that I am going to make it. However...one week after I submitted those, they simply sent me an email saying that they are changing their mind and I was deemed not what they wanted. I spent the whole day mostly unresponsive and depressed there while the HR officer who was my liaison, who seemed surprised himself, could only tell me those as the team's cited reasons while an insider at said company that I knew through a relative could only also tell me that same reason as well. Its not as if my security questions or background checks could have turned up anything weird, I didnt do anything suspicious, illegal or super bad or anything. Yeah, I have to hold back my tears when I recount about it even now...is it really just some shit luck I wonder? I also dont want to ever ponder that some of my former managers, who generally are friendly, could have said some nasty things behind my back, its a horrifying thought.

Not helping matters is how today I woke up from a dream where I was given a job offer by one of my old managers but man I felt depressed when I woke up.
>>
>be me
>larping as a full time software engineer on a Finnish frog image board
>still beat out by bootcamping college students on winter break

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.