[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: RoVdxsC[1].jpg (42 KB, 959x473)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>WHEN YOU GO TO SLEEP YOUR CONSIOUSNESS ENDS AND A NEW ONE STARTS WHEN YOU WAKE UP
unconsciousness =/= no consciousness, your brain doesn't cease all activity when you sleep like actual death
>>
>>12372262
how old are you anon?
>>
>>12372262
but a more interesting question is: are you still yourself after each night? or did you change?
does a part of you die every night?
>>
>>12373506
No.
>>
>>12374483
how can you be so sure?
>>
>>12374608
Because testing has shown brain activity in fact increases when you fall asleep (most of it metabolic), and personally, in my dream states, I am still self-aware and still feel like me. Even in pre-REM stages I still can 'feel' myself. If people died during their sleep and woke up with a fresh consciousness with previous memories then why would life work like that? Is it only trying to preserve the body?

I say you are even MORE alive when asleep then when you are awake.
>Lucid dreamer ftw
>>
>>12372262
Anyone who's ever been put under for surgery knows how different it feels. When you fall asleep you wake up and you wake up exactly where you expect and know roughly how much time has passed. Once you wake up from sedation your first thought is "Where the fuck am I".
>>
>>12372262
Sleep is an actual active af process in the brain, you enter stages like REM and shit. If you just "went unconscious" during sleep shit like anaesthetics would make you feel refreshed.
>>
>give scientific answer
>retard replies about philosophical issues or ambiguity
>give philosophical answer
>retard replies about scientific issues or uncertainty
i hate you op, you eternal faggot, cancer of the internet. kill yourself
>>
>>12372262
I've been thinking about this. And I think he may be right. This is the reason you sometimes feel like "a new man" when you've had a good night's rest. Your entire experience of the world changes from day to day. Like you are a different person each day. This is likely literally true. You're a completely different person each day, but with someone else's memories.
>>
I overdosed and was in a medically induced coma for 3 days. I felt absolutely NOTHING. When I sleep I have some sub-level of consciousness still rolling at least.
>>
>>12375093
Yes. When you're "under" time is perceived as going by in an instant. If that isn't proof of time being an elaborate illusion, I don't know what is.
>>
>>12372262
>free trial of being dead
Would that make dreams the afterlife?
Because then the afterlife has
>Hallways where you walk for day, and then a snake eats you
>Streets where you constantly get lost
>Gloves made out of soup that can deflect deadly lasers
>Pregnant nukes
>A centaur as my wife
>Mr Incredible singing japanese
Kind of a fucked and random afterlife.
>>
When you go to the next instant of time your consciousness ends and a new one starts
>>
File: Muhammad flys to heaven.jpg (979 KB, 1200x1848)
979 KB
979 KB JPG
>>12372262
During sleep the soul leaves the body and enters into the imaginal realm. This was the meaning of the night journey. See Ibn Arabi and Henry Corbin:
https://www.amiscorbin.com/bibliographie/mundus-imaginalis-or-the-imaginary-and-the-imaginal/
>>
File: dog reaction img (3).jpg (24 KB, 283x284)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>12372262
Nobody says that and nobody believes that.
>>
>>12375093

ive heard plenty of stories of people who had experiences while being in a coma.
>>
>>12372262
>>12374809
underageb& very obviously
>>
>>12375096
If 3 days could pass in an instant while having zero brain function, what would happen if we extended that to the time that occurs after you die? An infinite amount of time could pass in an instant before you wake back up again, possibly as a new being in a different universe
>>
>>12373506
ulises paradox:
you aren't your same shelf every second it passes, as your body cells/atoms change every time and get replaced
>>
>>12374921
That's why I prefer the aggressive opiates when being put under. Yeah I still remember parts of the surgery but all the opium makes them positive memories
>>
Im an entirely different person now than when i was 15. When did the old me die and the new me awake?
>>
>>12372262
>unconsciousness =/= no consciousness, your brain doesn't cease all activity when you sleep like actual death
And consciousness =/= any and all brain activity, rendering your point moot.
>>
>>12377023
Every dat at 2:26PM
>>
>>12374809
>personally, in my dream states, I am still self-aware and still feel like me
That is exactly what- or who-ever now inhabits the body you previously did would say, because that is exactly how it would feel to them.
>>
>>12372262
Stop browsing normalfag media.
>>
>>12376760
Hello 15 year old
>>
>>12376683
Why are you stupid enough to believe this garbage?
>>
>>12372262
The sense of self is based upon an illusion of consistent data analysis. Get fucked up on heavy drugs or develop intense mental illness and you will know what I am speaking about. the material universe is a joke.
>>
>>12377023
There was never new and old you. Its your brain desperately trying to maintain homeostasis. At all times. Plus your death and birth happened in a cosmologically insanely small timeframe. Might as well be instant. The entity you think of as yourself is an illusion stuck in a temporary
"eternal present". You can never escape it, because you are back to it when you die.
>>
>>12377005
Not every cell in your body changes. Neurons don't tend to be replaced, your teeth and bones are the same teeth and bones you've always had, etc.
>>
>>12372262
It's not consciousness if you're not consciously experiencing it.
>>
>>12379009
>>12372262

because all poo pajeets are retarded.
>>
OP this thread is a joke, nobody believes this shit and thinking you're superior makes me believe you're about 15 or retarded, stop making fun of yourself
>>
>>12379009
>but he didn't know if he was Zhuang Zhou who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was Zhuang Zhou
meditate on this passage
>>
>>12372262
I'm conscious during sleep though, it's just that I have partial amnesia. Each morning, I go through the process of waking up from a dream, during which I realize I was effectively being trolled by the dream I was having. Does this not happen to most people?
>>
>>12372262
You can have experience when you remember falling asleep with uninterupted going trough dream to wakefull state again uninterupted.

Don't judge what you don't experience.
>>
>>12373506
Bro that's like so deep bro broooo
This shit is boring. What would be the implications of this? Why should I care? What evidence whatsoever is there?
I can pose a million what ifs with no evidence or discussion of implications and each one would be just as boring and played out as the last.
>>
Why the fuck is sleep such an unknown? I feel like we need to take death row inmates and do sleep deprivation experiments until they die so that we can figure this out.
>>
>>12379037
I tried buying acid once but got scammed :(
>>
>>12377023
This is such a stupid question
There was no overnight transition
It was a slow, continuous process
You 5 minutes ago is not you right now, it's very similar but not exactly the same
You stopped being you at 15 when you turned 16
You started being you right now right now
Anything in between isn't either state, it's in the middle, usually closer to one state than the other

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.