Do we actually only use 30% of our brains? Why is that? Do all organisms do this? What's the point of having a large brain if you don't use most of it?
>>12371615different parts of the brain do different things. you're not gonna use the speech center of the brain to maintain balance, are you?
>>12371615a thread died for this...No, saying that someone uses <arbitrary fraction> of their brain is just a figure of speech that someone is lazy.>>>/r/eddit
We use all of it, just not 100% all the time.Just like we use 100% of your muscles, but not at the same time.
Nature isn't that inefficient.
>>12372007>psychic abilities>telekinesis>absolute photographic memory>Instantaneous calculation of long equations>Advanced creativity>Complete emotional control/suppressionHumans hardly use their brain at all. But then again, there's no need to.
>>12372056That was in response to the proposed 70% brain inefficiency.Still, those things could be outliers, if they exist at all. Not all brains are created equal. Not everyone has the freakish musical ability of Bach. That Bach exists does not imply everyone else is indolent. The overwhelming majority of brains simply aren't capable of that shit.
say you have 100 memories which are stored in the brain somehow. you may be calling up a dozen in rapid succession but you're not calling up all. the brain isn't like a powerlevel or something it's actual stuff, physical stuff. if you don't call up all those memories they will weaken, merge, drift, be forgotten, etc.that said modern lifestyles are probably making us retarded
>>12371615how rich to have a gf that tier if youre a 6.5/10?
skinny white girl assno thanks
>>12372412enough to be her hookup for coke/speed/E
>>12371615If I write a sentence on a chalkboard, and the amount of white chalk on the board is, say, 15% of its total area, would you then say that you're only using 15% of the total capacity of the chalkboard?Saying we only use 30% (or whatever the claimed number is) at any given time is like saying computer memory only uses 50% of its capacity when half of its bits are 0 and half are 1. Even if all of those 0's and 1's are capturing important information.To have all of our neurons firing at once would not be some kind of intellectual superpower capable of complex calculations. It would be a seizure. And you would die.
if you use 100% of your brain at the same time you're having a seizure
>>12371615>Do we actually only use 30% of our brains?coomers actually use 100% and that's 10% of a non-coomer brain
>>12371615We use 100% of our brains but not simultaneously. If you're using 100% of your brain at the same time then congratulations, you're having a seizure.
>>12371615Know it alls say we use 100% of the brain to look smarter than people that say 30%, but they are too stupid to recognise that their point does not invalidate whomever says 30%, BECAUSE THE 30% WE SAY WE USE, MEANS "COUNSCIOUSLY USE". IT'S OBVIOUS WE USE ALL OUR BRAIN CAPACITY TO LIVE BUT DO WE ACTIVELY CHOOSE DIRECLY WHEN AND HOW FAST OUR HEART BEATS? NO!!! THAT THE JOB OF THE OTHER 70%.
>>12371615Likely the consequence of evollution. Our hemispheres grew large, but some other part, likely the cerebellum, haven't had the time to catch up. (You can see in other big brained animals it basically forms a third hemisphere how big it is.) Which means it is too weak to control both hemispheres, and the connection to one of the hemispheres is severed and only one is wired directly, and the other one is wired after it. (Cerebellum-left hemisphere-right hemisphere)
>>12371615The closest you can get to using 100% of your brain would be to have an epileptic seizure.
>>12371615You only use 25%-30% (estimated) for ACTIVE thought/memory/etc, basically, the things that make up YOU as a person only require about a quarter of your actual brain power and mass.The entire rest of your brain is used for non-active maintenance like breathing, heart beat, organ regulation, hormone release, sensation, etc; all the shit you have zero control over that just happens because it's essential that you live. Sensory input is a HUGE part of that because your brain is in a constant feedback loop with every nerve in your body, which is why people who loose a limb often still "feel" the limb there. Your coordination and motor skills also take up a lot of processing power because humans muscles require ridiculous amounts of precision and fine tuning. Hand control is a significant portion of your brain power all by itself.tl;dr, you use 100% of your brain, your intelligence/memory/critical thinking is like 25% of that roughly.
>>12375905I wanted to add to this, humans absolutely MOG most other animals in brain size as well, comparatively. Humans heads are near the effective limit on how large a head can be before it causes serious birthing/weight issues (this is why child birth is potentially lethal in humans but most animals barely even register it). There are other animals with larger brains physically (dolphins are often used as example), but no animal really compares with humans in the "head-body" ratio. Most animals commit 90% of their brain power to those non-active control systems and such, humans probably have nearly as much brain power JUST for critical thinking and intelligence as many animals do just for day to day operations.So comparatively, humans are using far more brain power for the "self" than almost any other species.
>>12371615It's 10%. Haven't you seen the movie Lucy?