[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: vegan protein.png (322 KB, 600x600)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
Is it possible for a human being to live a truly healthy life on a vegan diet?
>>
it doesn't matter what you fucking eat. as long as you get the essential stuff and you don't get a lot of the bad stuff it's good. simple as
>>
Yes. It’s not particularly difficult.

The only reason it’s viewed as being challenging is that most restaurants have little vegan options, if you lack the time or ability to cook for yourself several days a week and rely for the majority of your food on lower priced restaurants it can be a challenge; this isn’t an issue at all if you can cook dinner for yourself 3-5x a week even if you’re eating out otherwise.

Of course, western culture has been completely overtaken by a degenerate value system of pure hedonism. The idea of giving up temporary pleasure and sensory indulgence is considered a great offense. Many of the degenerate creatures this society has produced will blindly attack anyone who points out how their hedonistic lifestyle is both undeniably cruel and immoral and destructive to the planet while not even resulting in any improvement in health.

In this very thread you’ll no doubt see numerous helpless animals, unable to control or put any limits on their most base, primitive, animal urges, coming up with all sorts of excuses that are factually and scientifically false to justify their complete lack of willpower.

Well, the arguments are there, if you want to use lies as an excuse for behaving like a degenerate animal. It’s up to you - are you capable of being a man? Or a self indulgent beast ruled by the flesh?
>>
absolutely not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnkWjmvMOA
>>
>>11853877
A life without bacon isn't a life I'd want to live.
>>
vitamin b12?
>>
>vegan
No need to go that far. The Nazi's were planning to ban all meat consumption after ww2 and they already had a diet which wait for it... was heavy on S O Y... Also other things but it would have also been far cheaper at that time.
>>
>>11853877
Yes, only obese hambeasts say that it's unhealthy.
>>11854013
You can get it from enriched food and/or supplements.
>>
File: ERGJ070UwAApqNb.jpg (291 KB, 1080x1080)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>11853877
/thread
>>
>>11854054
That proves nothing.
>>
https://carnivoreaurelius.com/vegan-diet-debunked/
Yes, but it's highly impractical.
>>11854045
Ok gas chamber
>>
>>11853960
then keep the bacon and cut the other crap, if 1 thing stops you from eating a better diet then keep just that 1 thing
>>
>>11853877
I don't know if it's ideal, but I bet it's healthier to eat a well-balanced vegan diet than to eat the standard American diet.
>>
>>11853877
I think it's possible if you eat a lot of fermented foods and are prepared to shit all day and possibly eat your shit
>>
>>11854204
healthy omnivore diet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> vegan diet >>>> american diet
>>
>>11854013
Possibly non essential if you get enough cobalt.
>>
>>11854236
It honestly might go trash >>>>>> SAD >>>>>> starvation.
>>
>>11853877
Yes, if they pay a lot of attention to nutrition. Limiting your diet makes it harder to achieve proper nutrition. But vegetables are nutritionally diverse enough that it's certainly not impossible.

>>11853931
>Everybody who doesn't restrict their diet in a way I want is a base hedonist, who cannot give up their lust for food

>>11854204
>It's healthier to eat a healthy diet of vegetables, than an unhealthy diet of vegetables and meat
Well, that's insightful. /s
>>
>>11853877
Animal protein != plant protein
>>
>>11853898
Fpbp
>>
frugivore with occasional meat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything, prove me wrong faggots
>>
>>11854271
>It's healthier to eat a healthy diet of vegetables, than an unhealthy diet of vegetables and meat
I don't consider meat intrinsically unhealthy, in fact a diet of meat and vegetables sounds like a great diet. A diet of junk food (chips, pretzels, ice cream, soda, dessert coffees, frozen dinners, fast food) is a different matter.
>>
>>11854283
I've tried a high fruit diet since I love fruit, and I felt like complete shit on it. Not to mention it's only practical year-round in tropical countries.
>>
Only theoretically.
Practically, the IQ needed to meal plan successfully is scarce within population.
>>
>>11854294
but what did the rest of your diet look like? whas it actually a proper balanced diet with fats and protein in there or just 80% fruit and 20% raw veggies like those youtubers? i am currently eating about 30% fruits 30% veggies 20% nuts 20% bread/meat etcetera and i feel as close to perfection as i can probably get
>>
>>11854290
You didn't understand my post.

>A diet of junk food (chips, pretzels, ice cream, soda, dessert coffees, frozen dinners, fast food) is a different matter.
You realize that those are entirely made out of vegetables, dairy and meat, right?
>>
>>11854324
I guess I still don't get your point.

>You realize that those are entirely made out of vegetables, dairy and meat, right?
And? Are you suggesting that meat and vegetables are the same as those foods because some of the starting ingredients were the same? Do you believe a vegan diet consisting only of processed food is the same as eating fresh fruit and vegetables?
>>
>>11854317
I was going for the extreme youtube version where a meal might be half a watermelon. It sucked, I realized I need some starch and dietary fat. Your diet sounds nice and balanced.
>>
>>11854338
You originally said

>I don't know if it's ideal, but I bet it's healthier to eat a well-balanced vegan diet than to eat the standard American diet.
Which isn't much of a contribution. The Standard American Diet is notoriously unhealthy and unbalanced.

So obviously, it's better to eat a "well-balanced vegan diet" than an unhealthy diet. That doesn't tell us much about veganism. That was my point.
>>
>>11854346
>a meal might be half a watermelon
lel

Another meme victim.
>>
File: 1589327996858.png (526 KB, 748x561)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>11854236
SAD doesn't kill babies tho
>>
>>11854392
If you think that mother's-obesity-related illnesses haven't ever killed children, you're wrong.
>>
>>11854376
Okay, I get your point, and I see your confusion. My comment about the SAD was tongue-in-cheek, but most Americans are negative about veganism even though it would probably be much better than what most people eat in the USA, and most other countries at this point. What confused me is your statement about "an unhealthy diet of vegetables and meat," which made it sound like you were saying meat and vegetables are unhealthy, when I consider the SAD to be a meat-heavy diet with a bunch of other unhealthy, processed crap.

>>11854378
To be fair, I'll eat quarter of a watermelon as a snack in the summer, and I eat bananas by the bunch, so it didn't seem that extreme to go all-in.
I gave it a go for a few weeks one summer when there was plenty of fresh fruit, found out it wasn't for me and went back to my typical eating.
>>
>>11854059
it proves everthing. Eat your cow man.
>>
File: chimp.jpg (29 KB, 681x392)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>11853877
If by "truly healthy" you mean just as healthy as any other diet, then no.
Idiots try to say chimps are vegan or whatever but they are unequivocally omnivores. So there's no evolutionary argument for veganism right off the bat.
Then they try to argue about vitamins, but don't realize a vitamin is a category of chemicals (so the plant-derived version is often insufficient), and further don't realize a list of daily recommendations cannot possibly cover the complex range of animal nutrients we evolved to utilize over millions of years.
Imagine thinking you get all the benefits of entire food groups by taking some pills.
Now, can you survive pretty long as an adult vegan? Sure, almost anybody can do that in the West. You may not have the best genetics for it, but humans only got this far because they are so tolerant of variations in diet.
>>
>>11855545
>Idiots try to say chimps are vegan or whatever but they are unequivocally omnivores. So there's no evolutionary argument for veganism right off the bat.
Humans didn't evolve from chimps and even if they did, your argument is pointless because chimps don't have the ability to get any food and use any diet they want.
>Then they try to argue about vitamins, but don't realize a vitamin is a category of chemicals (so the plant-derived version is often insufficient)
No idea what you're trying to get across by saying "they're chemicals". Most people know that and the plant variant of vitamins is often times better, such as ascorbic acid.
>Imagine thinking you get all the benefits of entire food groups by taking some pills.
You do. They're also so cheap and easy to get, there's no reason not to use them, even as an omnivore (who often have deficiencies as well).
>inb4 b-but B12
Most of it comes from fortified food anyway.
>>11855181
I'm not a vegan, brainlet.
>>
>>11854061
>carnivoreaurelius
lmao ok peterson
>>
A well-balanced vegan diet is perfectly healthy, the same way any other well-balanced diet is perfectly healthy. The only reason boomers seethe at veganism is because it goes beyond dieting into activism which righties hate more than anything. Personally I'd love to see the death of factory farms & continuous rage of boomers so I support the cause. Any rational person knows it's not the end of meat, in fact it would be an upgrade for meat both ethically and taste-wise.
>>
>>11855814
>Humans didn't evolve from chimps and even if they did, your argument is pointless because chimps don't have the ability to get any food and use any diet they want.
It's the vegans who use the chimp argument. The point is even if you take it seriously it's a non-starter.
>Most people know that and the plant variant of vitamins is often times better, such as ascorbic acid.
You didn't know that plants and animals synthesize and utilize the exact same molecule in this case? That's a terrible deflection from the real and well-documented problem of provitamin conversion.
>They're also so cheap and easy to get, there's no reason not to use them, even as an omnivore (who often have deficiencies as well).
I didn't say not to use them--again not sure if you even understand the arguments here.
>inb4 b-but B12
>Most of it comes from fortified food anyway.
Everyone should supplement B-12, not just vegans--they simply have a much higher incidence of problems without doing so.
>>
>>11854276
All animal protein comes from plant protein.
>>11854294
>>11854346
>>11854563

It's a problem to eat enough, because there isn't that much calories and the body is eager to burn sugar, so your BMR dramatically increases.
>>
There is literally no research stating that a balance or [math] healthy [/math] diet let you live more years.
If you want to eat grasses/meat all the time then go for it to be honest, because living happily should get your more life time.
Don't listen to the balance meme.
Of course you should avoid obviously cancerous shit like fast food.
>>
>>11855545
>Idiots try to say chimps are vegan or whatever but they are unequivocally omnivores
They are omnivores to the degree of cheating vegans, they may eat meat several times a year.
And the diet of chimps in nature is rather one sided, most of their diets are figs.
>vitamin is a category of chemicals
It's a random assortment of chemicals that the body needs. Most vitamins are not chemically alike.
>Now, can you survive pretty long as an adult vegan? Sure, almost anybody can do that in the West.
People in Africa are often near vegan, probably more by necessity, than choice, but it's absurd to think that eating so much meat is natural.
>>11855814
There can be no doubt that people and chimps are very closely related.
>>11855885
>>11855814
Most likely the problem with B12 is ultimately the lack of cobalt in soil and it would be no problem otherwise.
>>
>>11853877
No
>>
>>11853877
The studies say that overall there is no major difference between in health and longevity between vegans, vegetarians and omnivores.

I'd be interested to find out more about the rumour that the transition of East Asian people from diets low in animal fats to a more western diet could explain the rise in male pattern baldness there.
>>
>>11853877
this is why the left push veganism. the left heavily invest in weight watchers jenny craig and various supliments like the "magic berries"

all the plant based protein sources are fat rich pretty much and spinach doesnt have shit in it. you would need to eat pounds of it a day to get anything and nobody does that. any one saying its rich in iron needs to understand its a trace amount

eating lean meat is better for you than pounds of seeds and beans
>>
>>11856168
Huh? Plant based diets will be something like 12% fat unless you specifically add more.
>>
>>11853898
What bad stuff? Unless you eat inorganic substances like glass, nails, or paint, then what you eat has zero (0%) "bad" stuff.

You do know your body has defensive systems? Retard.

t. chemist
>>
>>11855980
>Most likely the problem with B12 is ultimately the lack of cobalt in soil and it would be no problem otherwise.
Yes and animals get cobalt supplements. If soil was rich in cobalt we might as well get B12 from plants.
>>
>>11856316
If only someone invented some technique to add missing nutrients to soils...
>>
>>11853931
>cook dinner for yourself 3-5x a week
my time is better spent doing other things, meat in oven go brr
>>
>>11853877
Undoubtedly, but it's not so simple if you have food sensitivities or a gut microbiome that doesn't work well with most of what's in pic related.
>>
>>11854013
It comes from bacteriae not meat. Only wild animal contains b12, the meat you get at the store has been fed with supplements, so you might as well directly consume the supplements.
>>
>>11853877
No. Veganism implies mental illness.
>>
>>11857229
Yes, a diet that is healthy, avoids a lot of animal harm and is better for the environment is mentally ill.
>>
I just eat a bunch of raw organic vegetables every once in a while just in case. "Eat your medicine"
>>
>>11853877
I know a few people that are vegan not by choice. They have a drawer full of supplements.
I do not have a vendetta against vegan food in fact i kinda like it. However you need to eat meat at some point. And I am not talking about McDonalds of course.
I think in general what the average person needs to do to get healthier is find a good diet that fits him, exercise and cut out junk food.
>>
>>11853877
Sure, you might need some vitamin or mineral supplements but its possible.

By the way "truly healthy life" should not be the concern of us, while the overwhelming majority of people dont even live mildly healthy lives.
>>
>>11854392
the hairline tho
>>
>>11856214
>t. chemist
dont flatter yourself anon, you are just another retard
>>
>>11855980
not that guy but
>People in Africa are often near vegan, probably more by necessity, than choice, but it's absurd to think that eating so much meat is natural.
yes people in africa ,as in people that have barely any had any animals domesticated.
People that lived on the north had way more domesticated animals. Especially in places like russia most plants barely had any calories.
Should man eat as much meat as the american? maybe not, maybe yes.
There are diets that are pretty much meat based and the people doing them are (so far) fine. Both carnivorous diets and vegan diets became popular only because people in the west are so rich they can afford to buy niche products.
>>
>>11854324
>McDonalds
> Real meat
There is a reason why the CEOs of such companies do not allow their children to eat it.
>>
File: Fig5_lead.gif (33 KB, 763x559)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
>>11856214
>What bad stuff
trans fats, too much sugar, too much saturated fats, too much xenohormones, carcinogens, cyanide, too much fat soluble vitamins, too much minerals, alcohol, almost all drugs, lead, radon from cigarettes, mercury. i can go on forever and not be finished with the bad stuff that can be found in diets.
the bad stuff are things that interact with the body in a bad way. glass just goes to the shitter because it can't be dissolved and it doesn't interact with anything in the body (i'm ignoring the fact that it cuts and looking at it from a pure bio perspective). lead causes damage because it interacts with the body or the body interacts with it. if the immune system was so perfect no one would die.
>>
>>11857327
You speak like an AI.
>>
>>11853898
this is the fundamental truth.

the other stuff is cultural or social.
american/vegan/keto/paleo/etc...

the average human has a surplus of cheap low-quality food, with a bunch of sugar...

normal humans in that situation become sugar addicts, straining their insulin response, and their system can't handle sugar or saturated fats well...

lot of fat people, and then u turn on your 'device' or your television, and everyone has filters/camera-motion/hair&makeup/cosmetic surgeries/PEDs/money/environment/etc...

so there is market incentive to cultivate different meme diets

hit your essentials, avoid stupidity, mind your fiber, get a test done every 6m-yr... and you've got diet nailed.
>>
File: tenor.gif (22 KB, 220x220)
22 KB
22 KB GIF
>>11857449
>>
>>11857500
What test?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.