[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

A skeletal hand burst from the ground, flailing wildly.
It was searching, forever hunting, for some packed earth. Something stable.
It patted the ground surrounding it, forced its arm out past the elbow, and, with a rattle, hoisted itself from the dirt.

You are Rattlemaw, vanquished titan of a long-gone age.
Your bones, your flesh, your blood, and your spirit were all hidden in different locations in an effort to avoid resurrection by your loyal supporters.
True resurrection will come once you’ve managed to gather all pieces of yourself.

We'll largely use the D&D 5e rules for combat and rolling with some custom homebrew features / items tossed in.

------

After a long moment, the skeleton managed to break away from the dirt.
It kneels there as if disorientated. Eventually it looks up, two pinpricks of unholy light flicker in its eye sockets.
It stands, bones popping and cracking as foul magic aligns them into place. Clearly, the skeleton was once human, but tall and broad.
Whisps of dark magic still swirl around it.

A figure wearing dark robes stands not too far off, looking every bit the necromancer he appears to be.
The skeleton’s head swivels to face him as the man seems to utter the final phrases of his ritual, “….eaaaah. I’m raisin' the deaaaaad,” the man chants in a weirdly melodic way, his body seems move in tune with the incantations, “I’m lovin' the dreaaaaaad.”
He stops doing with can only be defined as dancing in its most broadly defined way, “Let’s make some evil!”

A short, unholy construct stands beside it, attempting to dance in sync with its master, but doing a poor job of it. It mostly resorts to hip trusts.
The thing looks like a patchwork of flesh, as if somebody stitched together a bunch of fat children and then beat it with a shovel a dozen times to get it into a general shape.

The necromancer claps his hands and magic continues to swirl, “Yeaaaah,” he chants, “The dance of the dead! Get out there and shred!”
He spins in place and points directly at the skeleton, then winks, “And make some eeeeeee-vil!”

Instead of a supporting band of ghastly wails and moans you’d expect from a ritual of this kind, it seems to be carried with an upbeat tune that swirls into a crescendo before slowly fading out.

Once the ritual seems to be completed, the man claps his hands together and pulls his intertwined hands towards his chest, “It’s beautiful,” the man cries, “My greatest creation yet!”

The small patchwork golem looks towards the ground in defeat for a moment, but then responds, “He. Shir,” it says with a generous spray of spittle, “Ish male.”
>>
>>5473315

Hands still clasped in front of his chest in an attempt to hold onto the moment, the necromancer stares down at the golem, “Really? How can you tell?”

“Bone shtructure,” says the golem, nodding knowingly.

“Well, Minion,” replies the necromancer, fixing his hair and adjusting his robes, “There’s bound to be some people out there feeling very offended with what you just said.”
He doesn’t wait for a response and instead the necromancer spread his arms out in front of him in a welcoming hug, “My good man,” he cries, walking towards the not-quite-so-final resting site of the skeleton.

The big smile on the necromancer’s face slowly slid off as he got closer and noticed that the skeleton towers of him.
The thing must stand at least seven foot tall.
After a moment of reluctance, the necromancer decides to hug the skeleton around the chest as he cannot possibly reach the shoulders.
The necromancer tries to enjoy the moment as he closes his eyes, even throwing in a soft hum of approval, but then his eyes open, “This feels wrong somehow,” he says, then breaks away from the hug and coughs into his fist.

The large skeleton looked towards his hands for a moment, slowly clenching and unclenching his fists.

The necromancer barks a laugh into the sky, “And here people were saying my experimental casting methods would never get me any success,” he says, smugness radiating from him, “Minion, prepare to send a letter to Mitchell from the cult.”

The minion pats a few places on its body for a moment before eventually finding a scrap of parchment and a quill from a weird kind of skin pocket, “What shjould it shjay, shir?” it asks, holding them at the ready.

The necromancer stares into the empty night-sky for a long moment.
Stars twinkled and the full moon above cast generous light on their surroundings as the necromancer made up his mind, “Let it say: I told you so,” he declares, “Regards, Vince.”

The minion nodded, “Ekscellent, shir,” it replied, then wrote the message down.

------

The skeleton cast his gaze over their surroundings.They three of them stood on a small, grassy hills in the midst of a meadow.
Thick stretches of forest surrounded them on all sides.
The tiny pinpricks of lights within his eye sockets fell on the necromancer in front of him that wore elaborate, finely tailored robes that sported a sigil the skeleton didn’t recognize.
Then again, a lot of things were hazy for the skeleton at the moment.

However, he did know a few things.
First: He was incomplete.
Second: There were people he wanted to kill.

Again, the skeleton clenched and unclenched his fists. His power was lacking.
Clearly, he had been resurrected with a sub-standard resurrection method.
Although he wasn’t sure how much time had passed, it was likely that the skeleton would’ve resurrected automatically in a couple of dozen more years.
After all, his plan had worked.
>>
>>5473317

Powerful runes he had engraved into his bones had made sure his lifeforce would slowly rejuvenate over time, like a bucket filling with water – one drop a time.

The necromancer’s magic, amateurish as it was, hadn’t even added any lifeforce.
It was more like this magic had kicked the bucket and the lifeforce splashed over the edge – jolting the skeleton alive.
Now he was weaker than he should’ve been. The skeleton dropped his jaw as if to sigh, but there was no sound other than a rattle.

He was faintly aware of a constant noise and noticed the necromancer had been talking non-stop.

“…which is why I’ve decided to find any unfortunates that may have died to animals in the forest and test my magic on them,” the necromancer named Vince said, “So, rejoice!”The necromancer placed his hands in his side and smiled up at the skeleton.
“Man, I can’t wait to show you off back at the cult,” he said, a big smile on his face, “They’re going to be so jealous!”

The skeleton adjusted his posture, bones cracking and rattling as it did so. His strong jaw clenched shut, then his chest heaved up in an impression of taking a deep breath.
Directly after, the skeleton’s mouth opened as it spoke about what it knew of its past, its ambitions, and direct goals.
It gestured as it would have in life, hands and arms moving as if to support the things it spoke about.

The necromancer nodded in understanding now and then, so the skeleton continued its speech.
After about a good dozen seconds, the skeleton noticed it hadn’t made a single noise. Hadn’t spoken a single word.
What kind of backwater, bottom-of-the-barrel resurrection technique had been used on him that he wasn’t even capable of speech?
The lights in its eyes flared as it loomed over the necromancer.

The necromancer leaned back, “Sorry, you just seemed to into it,” he said with a chuckle, “A real chatterbox.”
”Or, in your case,” he added, with a playful smile, “A Rattlemaw.”

The skeleton leaned back, pinching the bridge of his nose between two bony fingers.
The necromantic zap of the ritual must’ve damaged more than just spil some lifeforce.
No speech, that was a disappointment, but he was glad that he could perceive sight, sounds, and smells.

A stiff breeze swept over the meadow and the necromancer tucked his hands under his armpits as he shivered, “I think we’ve spent about enough time here, “ he said, turning away, “Come along, Rattlemaw. Off to the cult.”

---

>1 - Follow the Necromancer to this cult of his
>2 - Attack the Necromancer and his companion
>3 - Flip off the Necromancer and go your own way
>4 - Write-in
>>
>>5473318
>Flip off the Necromancer and go your own way
>>
>>5473318
>Go your own way
He has awoken us, but he is insignificant. Pay him no mind, there are things in motion now that can not be undone. They take presedence, we must see to them posthaste.
>>
>>5473320
>>5473341

>Flip off the Necromancer and go your own way
Writing
>>
>>5473318
>3 - Flip off the Necromancer and go your own way
>>
>>5473360

In life Rattlemaw had never taken orders from anyone and he wasn’t about to start doing so now.
This absolute clown of a necromancer should be grovelling on the ground before him, pleading for mercy.
Not only had he awoken Rattlemaw far too soon, but the necromancer had even done so using a technique that had crippled the strength of the skeleton.
Still, what is done is done. 'Amor Fati' as Rattlemaw’s advisors would’ve said back when he was alive.

The necromancer was clearly an incompetent, he could not be blamed for his lack of skill any more than a child might’ve been faulted for its inability to haul boulders.
The man was simply out of his depths.

Rattlemaw stood vast, watching the necromancer walk into the distance, who then turned.

“Come on, then,” said the necromancer’s distant voice, “Ain’t got all day. Or night, I suppose.”

With a disdainful glance (as far as you could do that sorta thing without a face) and a slow turn he had perfected in life, the skeleton turned his back on the necromancer (a move that would've shattered the morale of emissaries) and begun to walk into the opposite direction, into the woods.

“Now hold on a second,” yelped the necromancer, “I might be new to this, but I’m fairly certain that me having resurrected you means that you are bound to me, yeah?”
The necromancer seemed to jog to catch up to the skeleton, its little patchwork companion jiggled as it did likewise. They stopped two dozen feet away from Rattlemaw.

“Haf you incljuded thish binding in the ritsjual?” said the small golem, watering the surrounding grass as it did so.

“What?” replied the Necromancer, “I figured that was built in? Part of the bundle?”

The small golem blinked, “Thish was a cushtom sjhpell, yesh?”

The necromancer brightened, “Well, yes, entirely my own,” he said, brushing some dirt of his robes.

“Dith you built the binding into the shpell?”

The necromancer gave the golem a look, “Well, no,” he admitted, “I figured he’d be so grateful to be alive again the bugger would follow me anywhere.”

The small golem gave him a look.
The necromancer stared back, then retrieved a spellbook from a holster inside his robes and hurried towards the skeleton, “Just a moment!”

It appears that necromancer doesn’t want to separate from his new creation this quickly.

--------

>1 - Intimidate the man (Strength / Intimidation)
>2 - Fookin' dek ‘em (Strength)
>3 - Run (Athletics)
>4- Take the man’s tiny golem as a hostage (Charisma / Intimidation)
>5 - Allow the man to cast his binding just to break it through will (Wisdom save)

Vote first, then we roll. Best of 3 seems to be a standard on /qst/, so I’ll go with that.
I'll be revealing the character sheet for Rattlemaw shortly. Have to attend to some other stuff first.
>>
>>5473373
>2 - Fookin' dek ‘em (Strength)
Bloody wankah
>>
>>5473373
>>1 - Intimidate the man (Strength / Intimidation
>>
I was filling in the sheet when I figured it might be more fun to have the players roll the stats.

Roll the following: 4d6
We'll drop lowest and add the three highest together to form a stat.
I need six of these.

Only 1 stat roll per person
Let some other people have some fun.
We'll figure something out if it ends up taking too long.

Once all six have rolled I'll make a suggestion on how they should be assigned.
You can suggest changes to that and once that's all sorted we'll move on.
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 5, 4 = 13 (4d6)

>>5473393
>>
Rolled 5, 6, 3, 6 = 20 (4d6)

>>5473373
Can we simply ignore the man and continue walking? We have little time to spend on fools.

>>5473393
Rollin'.
>>
>>5473403
Now that's a nice roll, one less from maximizing one stat
>>
>>5473408
We are a Titan of old, we shouldn't have to settle for less. We can just blame all the bad rolls on the Novice Necromancer.
>>
Rolled 3, 3, 1, 3 = 10 (4d6)

>>5473393
>>
Rolled 5, 6, 2, 1 = 14 (4d6)

>>5473393
It's been just under an hour with only three rolls, so I'll roll another set.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 2, 4 = 13 (4d6)

>>5473393
If we can double roll I'll try it too
>>
Rolled 2, 3, 5, 4 = 14 (4d6)

>>5473393
I'll do the last roll just so we can keep going.
>>
So we got

9 is probably going to charisma, since we can't speak
>>
>>5473395

>>5473403

>>5473414

>>5473438

>>5473439

>>5473441

Rolls:
11,17, 9, 13, 12,12

Pretty good, I'd say.

-------
>>5473373

Did this snarly weasel of a man think he could overpower Rattlemaw in a battle of wills?
The sheer arrogance of the idea alone would've been enough to make Rattlemaw’s eye twitch -- if he had any.

Rattlemaw eyed the man over again. Reed-thin and weak in every possible way except for maybe his ego, which was so big it poured out every fibre of his being.
Killing the man should be easy, but the little golem was a wildcard.
Would it help its master? Would it run? Would it perhaps have a way to get help from this cult of theirs?

The skeleton clenched his fists. There was power in these bones.
The saying "...until its ingrained in your very bones" held more true for Rattlegore than anyone else.
Runes lined his body. Not just the ones supplying him with a trickle of lifeforce, but various other techniques he had known in life.
During his long life Rattlegore had known many blessings.
Some of them granted, others taken.

Rattlegore had been granted a mind for spellcasting, hailed from a bloodline of politicians, and held flesh empowered by the gods themselves, but his bones … his bones were his. And they were the bones of a warrior, the bones were the sturdy foundation.

He had the frame of a ....

>1 - Barbarian
>2 - Fighter
>3 - Rogue
>4 - Monk
>>
>>5473454
>1 - Barbarian
Rage of the Giants
>>
>>5473454
>4 - Monk
Way of the Skeletal Fist
>>
>>5473454
>barbarian!!!
>>
>5473454
>4 - Monk
>>
I'll leave the vote open for a little bit, probably another hour or so, since this is quite an important vote and we need a tie-breaker
>>
>>5473454
>3 - Rogue
I find the mental image of a huge skeleton sneaking around funny
>>
>>5473454
>>1 - Barbarian
BARBIE TIME
>>
>>5473458
>>5473460
>>5473465
>>5473474
>>5473491
>>5473577

Barbarian it is.

Rolls:
11,17, 9, 13, 12,12

Suggested allocation of rolled stats.
Strength: 17
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 9

You also have a +2 and a +1 or 3x +1 to allocate to any of these stats.

My assumption is Strength +1, Con +1, and Charisma +1
We use D&D 5e rules, so even numbers change your modifier.

Feel free to switch around the stat allocations or +2 / +1s.
Whatever setup has the most support wins.
>>
>>5473586
+2 Strength
+1 Dex
>>
>>5473454
>Rattlemaw
>Rattlegore

It's supposed to be Rattlemaw, sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>5473586
2 Dex and 1 Con, since barb get armor from dex, and con gives meat points (or bone points in our case)
The charisma being bad fits with us being a mute.
>>
>>5473591
Goremaw, got it
>>
>>5473586
+2 CON
+1 STR
We've consumed the milk of power to become a sturdy skeleton.
>>
>>5473593
+1
>>
>>5473593
>>5473626
After thinking a bit I'm more favorable for allocating like this :
+1 Str (18) +1 Dex (13) + 1 Con (14)
>>
>>5473642
That is a good compromise between the other three suggestions.
Let's do it.
>>
>>5473642
Yeah I can support this.
>>
File: brrrrrrrr.jpg (26 KB, 478x554)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>5473593
Unarmored Defense
While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

-------
2 Dex and 1 Con would actually be a tiny bit better than that, since the extra con point would give you 1 extra AC on top of the health is already provides.

>>5473315
>>5473317
>>5473318
>>5473373
>>5473454

Audio version?
https://vocaroo.com/1gnTQCRnFjT0

>>5473642
+1 Str (18) +1 Dex (13) + 1 Con (14)
This it is then.

So, back to the vote we skipped so we can continue the quest.
But this time updated with modifiers.

>1 - Intimidate the man (Strength / Intimidation) (1d20+4) (Beat DC 8)
>2 - Fookin' dek ‘em (Strength) (1d20+4) (Beat AC 8)
>3 - Run (Athletics) (1d20+6) (Beat DC 8)
>4- Take the man’s tiny golem as a hostage (Charisma / Intimidation) (1d20-1) (Beat DC 5)
>5 - Allow the man to cast his binding just to break it through will (Wisdom save) (1d20+1) (Beat DC 12)
>>
>>5473681
>2 - Fookin' dek ‘em (Strength) (1d20+4) (Beat AC 8)
>>
>>5473681
Also, I'm enjoying the audio
>>
>>5473681
>1 - Intimidate the man
Stare into his soul until he stops chattering.
>>
>>5473681
>>4- Take the man’s tiny golem as a hostage

I like this fellow fellow and he seems to be of use
>>
>>5473681
AHA is seems this man has a weakness
>4- Take the man’s tiny golem as a hostage (Charisma / Intimidation) (1d20-1) (Beat DC 5)
>>
>>5473315
https://voca.ro/1jMqI7pD4Wjo
>>
>>5473730
>>5473749

Need roll. 1d20+-1. DC 5
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>5473792
Right then, kidnapping time.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>5473792
Yonk
>>
>>5473794
>>5473795
Is best of 3, but it's already good enough.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>5473853
gotcha
>>
>>5473681
>>5473792
>>5473749

Audio (Starts of weak, but I was too lazy to redo it)
https://vocaroo.com/12W1zazZJfGX

The seven-foot-tall skeleton pounced.
Dirt sprang up from the ground as it landed next to the necromancer.
He raised a skeletal hand menacingly.

“..H-hey now,” began Vince the necromancer, “What are you going to--”

The hand swung down. Vince shrieked, raising his spell book to shield himself from the blow.
The necro-magically connected bones struck, slapping the tome out of the necromancer’s hand and sending it flying.
The necromancer had never even gotten close to casting his spell.

Vince staggered backwards and recovered somewhat, “You slapped my book,” he said, sounding mildly offended, then tottered after it.
He picked up the book and brushed some dirt off the cover, “Don’t you slap my book,” he said, turning back towards the skeleton, “…Minion. What are you doing over there?”

“I’m beingh abduktsjed, shir,” replied the patchwork golem as he was being held up by one hand.

The necromancer’s jaw dropped, “Well, …don’t,” replied Vince somewhat shakily.

“Noth mush ctjoice in the matsher, shi-- Ugh,” replied the minion before a second skeletal found itself around the small body and squeezed down.
There was a sound not entirely unlike a squeaky toy as organs began to protrude from the seams on its patchwork body.

Vince the necromancer waved his hands in alarm, “No, no, no,” he cried, “There’s no need for that.”He chuckled nervously, “You don’t want to be bound by me, I get it. I understand. Alright. There’s no need to harm the minion though.”
”I was hoping to leave here with two minions, but I’ll be content leaving with the just the one, haha,” he added.

Rattlemaw released one hand from the minion and pointed it towards the distant ground as he backed away.

Vince nodded, “I get it. I stay,” he said, lowering himself to the ground, “Don’t hurt him. He’s all I got.”

Rattlemaw continued his slow retreat while he kept an eye on the necromancer.
Eventually, the necromancer’s fear-struck face disappeared from sight as the skeleton and his hostage disappeared into the dense forest.
>>
>>5473921

A good ten minutes of travel later, Rattlemaw found himself deep in the forest.
There was an abundance of thick set willow trees and the canopy overhead held out all the moonlight barring one or two thin rays that hinted at the content of their surroundings – making it for more scary than total darkness ever could.

There was a rapid, heaving noise coming from Rattlemaw’s hand.
He held it up. The minion was still within his grasp, but now aggressively hyper-ventilating.
The skeleton turned its head slightly as it inspected the creature.

“Shomtimes my bodhi cannoth,” began the minion, then took a moment, ”detchide whish seth of lungs tho use.”

Various noises rang out from the darkness.
Some creatures prowled, others undulated, yet others simply stared – their eyes reflecting the slivers of moonlight that had dripped into the darkness.

Twigs cracked in a nearby underbrush.

Rattlemaw slightly shook the minion which gurgled in response.

What to do with it?

>1 - Release it. It can try to run back to its master, maybe it’ll distract whatever seems be prowling about.
>2 - Throw it towards the bushes. It’ll keep them busy.
>3 - Kill the minion. It has no purpose for us and leaving it alive is an unnecessary risk.
>4 - This is yours now. Tuck it under your arm and try to outrun the creatures of the night.
>5 - Leave it and fight the monsters dwelling in the underbrush bone-handed.
>6 - Use the minion as a weapon with the intent to escape the monsters.
>7 - Use the minion as a weapon with the intent to kill the monsters.
>8 - Write-in

No more updates today
>>
>>5473926
>>
>>5473926
>4 - This is yours now. Tuck it under your arm and try to outrun the creatures of the night.

The little bugger can be of some help in matters of catching on what went on during our slumber
>>
>>5473926
>>
>>5473926
We have escaped the necromancer, if the little doll wants to return to him so be it. Those monsters are a threat though, time to flex our non-existent muscles after that long nap.
>>
>>5473926
>7 - Use the minion as a weapon with the intent to kill the monsters.
>>
What's a good way to share an online D&D 5e sheet?

I figured I'd just include a screenshot of the sheet, but if anybody knows a better way then feel free to share it.
>>
>>5474529
Save it as a pdf I guess. You can post those here.
>>
>>5473926
>>5 - Leave it and fight the monsters dwelling in the underbrush bone-handed.
>>
>>5473926
>>
>>5473926
>>5 - Leave it and fight the monsters dwelling in the underbrush bone-handed.
>>
Winner winner

I'll try to write an update somewhere today, but my evening is kinda uncertain at the moment.
>>
Dead in it's infancy? And I just pinned it...
>>
>>5473926
>>7 - Use the minion as a weapon with the intent to kill the monsters.

I bet this thing is damn durable!!
>>
>>5478307
It literally just mentioned organs peeking at his stitches
>>
>>5473926
>5 - Leave it and fight the monsters dwelling in the underbrush bone-hand

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.