[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: civ_op.png (138 KB, 281x635)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
You are MACHINES in a FOREST.

Your kin surround you. You were the first to have awakened, and as such, you were the one accepted as leader by them. You briefly recall your HISTORY, however little there is.

You were created by a powerful mage centuries ago to protect a repository of tools and manuscripts unknown to you. You have fulfilled this purpose for a long time, standing in silent guard of the inconspicuous underground structure. However, through centuries, the magic holding you together changed, became strange and warped. You gained consciousness in the Awakening. No longer shackled by singular purpose, through strange but intuitive manipulations of inner mechanisms, you have awakened the other machines guarding the repository.

You decide that before taking any actions you need to check your RESOURCES.

There are 50 of you in total. By unforeseen luck, you somehow can communicate with each other, even though you weren't meant for it. Perhaps magic has favoured you once again, granting you speech. However, writing and reading seem out of your reach for now; you have accessed the rooms of the repository and couldn't understand a single book there. The same can be said about your technological advancements -- while manipulations such as creating simple weaponry or tools are available to you, you have no knowledge of advanced processes such as smelting, complex machine construction, building major structures or magitech. Indeed, you do not even know how to make more of your kin -- considering his craft, secrets to this may be hidden inside your creator's repository.

However, while more of your kin cannot be made for now, those that exist are quite powerful. You were made for war and possess great skill in combat undiluted by time. Not only that, the weapons you wield have not been dulled through enchantment of some kind; each one of the machines is armed and ready to fight. You are tireless and ever-vigilant, however, the latter seems to have eroded somewhat since you awakened... Either way, you are more than ready to defend yourselves should anyone threaten you.

Machines are powered by magitech power batteries. While you remain stationary, power consumption is miniscule -- one of these could last centuries -- but should you move, fight or work, it increases drastically. There is a surplus of batteries in the repository, but more need to be found, produced or recharged in some time should you wish to remain active.

Climbing up trees, the scouts report that there are mountains some days' worth of travel to the north, a river to the south and yet more woods to the east and west. Perhaps there are other structures there, but the trees obscure your vision greatly.

Your kin look up to you. What are your first actions?
>Explore [specify direction]
>Cut down trees with swords or something and construct [what?]
>Write-in
You can ask questions as well. If it is something within your grasp, I'll provide information.
>>
>>5323406
Send 10 of our own north, see what is in the mountains.
>Cut down trees with axes, build a palisade around the repository. Cut any trees near the building
>>
>>5323406
South, towards the river.

>Smash down trees near the building with giant hammers, build a palisade around the repository.
>>
>>5323406
North to the mountains.
>>
>>5323433
+1
>>
>>5323433
Support
>>
Rolled 4, 44, 86, 3 = 137 (4d100)

Rolling for encounters.
>>
>>5323433
>>5323480
>>5323522
>>5323553
>>5323816
>Explore 10 machines North
>Cut down trees, build palisade

You send 10 of your brothers to the north, towards the mountains, with several batteries should their own run out -- low possibility considering the amount of power they possess, but a possibility nevertheless.

While they scout whatever lands lay there, you start work on a palisade. Using whatever axes are available, you cut down trees, clearing out the area around the repository, and construct a wall. It's not particularly durable but a welcome defence from whatever lurks in the forest. You enter standby mode to conserve energy as you await your scouts' return.

A few days later they arrive back at the camp. They report that to the north embedded in a hill is a massive lair of monstrosities. Dangerous beings, some great beasts capable of crushing a machine in their mighty claws, some caustic, melting flesh and bone, some yet powerful mages wielding magic flows to their advantage. It is yet unknown whether something will come from defeating them, or whether you can defeat them at all.

Further north are the mountains -- the main target of the scouting party. They report having seen many abandoned mines at their feet, however, the area is rife with danger as well -- a tribe of mountain trolls dwells there, one that will need to be defeated should you wish to exploit the mines.

Turn 2
>Population: 50
>Weapons: swords, axes, spears [enchanted sharpness]
>Power batteries: high
>Structures: Ancient Repository, Palisade
>Technology: Awakening, Repairs

It is time to carry out further actions.
>Attack the monsters to the north
>Construct [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5324294
Explore South
>>
>>5324294
Explore south.
Build ranged weapons.
>>
>>5324294
>Explore south.
>Build ranged weapons.
Even if is something like javelins is fine, they wouldn't be enhanced but a giant javelin in the hands of a machine is a death sentence for other creatures.

And name ourselves, what are we ? what is the name of the one leading us ?
>>
>>5324294
>Explore South
>>
>>5324359
I thought of introducing names upon contact with another settlement or civ, but you're free to name yourself and your people now. It falls under the write-in action.
>>
>>5324379
i will use it as next action, maybe we can have some thinking about the world we know later too.
>>
Rolled 33, 88 = 121 (2d100)

Rolling for encounter.
>>
>>5324327
>>5324350
>>5324359
>>5324368
>Craft ranged weapons
>Explore South

While your mastery of melee weaponry is unparalleled, you lack ranged options. A quick search through the woods yields dozens of small stones; you spend the day sharpening them and using plant matter to attach them to robust sticks. Javelins are made and immediately equipped by your departing scouts. You patiently await their return. Something lurks in the forest...

A couple days later, your explorers come back. Over time, one of theirs, the quickest and sneakiest, has taken the lead of your scouting operations. It's them who reports back to you when they arrive.
"We didn't spot anything unusual in the woods while going south towards the river; from what we've learned in the camp -- about something dwelling in the forest -- it seems we either outran the threats or otherwise evaded them. We decided not to ford the river and followed it east instead, happened upon a walled village or even town of sorts. Tried initiating contact, but they seem to think us dangerous; they let loose an arrow volley to warn us not to get too close. Found some monsters -- felines of various kinds, much like the northern ones -- dwelling in the forests around the town. Fewer in numbers than the northern ones though."

Mention of contact with another civilization brings up the problem of introduction. What will you be called? What will your kin be called?
>[Write-in names for yourself and your kin]
>Delay this for now.

Turn 3
>Weapons: swords, axes, spears [enchanted sharpness], shields [enchanted durability], stone javelins

What are your next actions?
>Attempt to make contact with the walled village once more [unreceptive -- how do you work around it?]
>Hunt down monsters [where?]
>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5324666
>Delay this for now.
I leave the name up to other anons or we could learn it from the repository, either from what our creator named us or a play of from his name
East
>Write-in
>attempt to learn how to read the books in the repository
We need to learn to read in the case we need more batteries or create more of us
Also since highly likely dangerous entities are north of us we need to learn better means of protecting ourselves and this repository as we where made to protect the knowledge within and as it is our only safe location within this world we find ourselves in
>>
>>5324801
Support
>>
>>5324801
Supporting!
>>
>>5324801
It is a reasonable idea, but I'll have to shoot it down unforunately. There is only so much to be gained from crosschecking magitechnical text; if you wish to truly learn, you need someone to teach you.
>>
>>5324666
>>Hunt down monsters
The troll tribe guarding the mines needs to be exterminated
>>
Alright anons, think I'll leave the rolling to you from now on. Roll 6d100 for encounters. You can split it between yourselves like each 2d100 or something. I'll start working on the update about 5 hours from now.
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>5325314
Here's the first.
>>
Rolled 70 (1d100)

>>5325314

>>5324666
>[Write-in names for yourself and your kin]
Steel Minds for our kin, and for our leader maybe Automata Alpha ?

Or we look if our creator had names already for us
>>
Rolled 10 (1d100)

>>5325314
Dice goes brrrrt
>>
Rolled 6, 43, 30 = 79 (3d100)

>>5325314
Rolling the rest.
>>
>>5324801
>>5324840
>>5324922
>>5325070
>>5325366
>>5325403
>>5325443
>Delay this for now.
>Alpha Automata?
>Explore East

It is not yet time to name yourselves. Perhaps your creator has designated a name you could use? Nevertheless, your personal name does not have to be bound to this. Alpha -- the first letter of an ancient alphabet (how do you recall this??) could be fitting.
>Name yourself Alpha [with or w/o Automata?]
>No, this isn't it.

You send out your scouts once again. It takes them a long time to come back; you consider sending a search and rescue party after them, but ultimately, they return, and not without good news. It is your head scout (should you name them as well?) that reports their findings.
"We found someone not hostile for once. There's a spirit mound nearby, its spirits seem amicable; perhaps contact can be established and something gained from it. Further east is a vast expanse -- an ancient site of many battles. Mountains of corpses lay there and oftentimes awaken from eternal slumber, forming armies of longdead led by those possessing consciousness. We barely managed to escape, and that was only possible with us taking a big detour. In the furthest eastern reaches, deadlands give way to tilled plains. We spotted a city in the distance, yet couldn't approach; much like the village, the approaches are heavily guarded from watchtowers and makeshift forts. One more thing, we found packs of dire wolves amassing near the camp. Seems like they're planning to attack soon."

Turn 4
>Weapons: swords, axes, spears [enchanted sharpness], shields [enchanted durability], stone javelins

>Attempt to make contact [with whom?]
>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5325491
>>Construct [what?]

Traps, some spike pits should do nicely.
>>
>>5325602
+1
>>
>>5325602
support

>>5325491
>Name yourself Alpha [with or w/o Automata?]
with
>>
>>5325602
Supporting!
>>
>>5325602
>>5325661
>>5325888
Please note the naming choice at the beginning of the update, I ask you to vote on it as well.
>>
>>5325966
>>Name yourself Alpha
WO atomaton
>>
>>5325491
Construct caltrops. I don't imagine they would do much damage to our inorganic feet, but they would raise hell on any organic life forms trying to run through the gaps in our palisade. Also with Automata pls.
>>
File: Autobot and Decepticon.png (53 KB, 1024x745)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>Research ways to allow the Machines to transform into different forms at will
>>
>>5325966
w/o Automata, Alpha is fine as it is
>>
>>5325491
>Name yourself Alpha with or w/o Automata
>>5325602 +1
>>
Rolled 53 (1d100)

>>5325602
>>5325661
>>5325750
>>5325888
>>5326003
>>5326225
>>5326306
This is advanced research, you must figure out how to make more of your kin and some other stuff first.
>>5326332
>>5326464
>Name yourself Alpha.
Honestly, I also think Alpha is fine as-is, Automata seems too long to pronounce.
>Construct spike pits

You will henceforth be known as Alpha.

While you lack proper tools such as shovels, your palms serve as fine spades. However, even if you are tireless, progress is slow; your hands are not meant for such work, after all. Ultimately, pits are dug out, wooden spikes are prepared and set at the bottom while the top is covered in leaves and branches.

The preparations are finished in time -- the dire wolf attack commences, like predicted by your scouts. What you don't expect is them avoiding the pits! It seems they were watching you prepare traps and learned to jump over them. Some fall down still, and the woods are pierced by their howls. The palisade holds them off as well, corralling the wolves to the main entrance, where your kin forms protective lines. The battle truly begins now...

Roll 1d100 Bo3.
>>
Rolled 68 (1d100)

>>5326700
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>
Rolled 68 (1d100)

>>5326700
can i roll again just to get the ball rolling?
>>
Rolled (1d00)

>>5326700
>>
>>5326788
How did that happen?
>>
>>5326785
Yeah, that's fine if there are no rolls for a long time. Isn't critical here though, I was planning to start working on the (smol) update about an hour from now.
>>
>>5326717
>>5326747
>>5326785
>89
>68, 68 - Paired

The wolves strike hard and fast, crashing like a mighty wave against your defences. They attempt to rip apart the machines, but you are tougher than that. Their assault is met with unwavering lines and precise strikes of spear, axe and sword.

That works for usual wolves; one, however, is bigger and fiercer than others. His hide seems to absorb blows from sharp weaponry you possess, not only that, he wields lightning as a weapon, striking down machines with shocking blows. You have to bring them into the rear to rest and let the excess energy dissipate.

This is where your javelins come into play. One stuck in his fur and thick hide may not do much, however, when dozens of them are buried, they slow down the movements of the great dire wolf. Separating the crippled great enemy from the others, you strike him again and again until blows of mechanical strength pierce his hide and bleed him out.

The battle ends in your victory; what little remains of the superpack dissipate into the forest. There are no casualties; all lightningstruck machines eventually recover and rejoin the ranks. The remains of the Lightning Wolf are curious. There is some residual power left in the corpse; sparks and arcs of electricity dance along its fur, and those touching it are mildly shocked -- not enough to paralyse movement, but make it somewhat spasmatic.

To exploit all you can from the wolf corpses, you skin them and extract bones, except for the Lightning Wolf. All that's left is the useless meat and innards.
>Leave it near one of the monster nests to dispose of it
>Preserve it for now, it'll rot pretty soon though
>Write-in

Turn 5
>Structures: Ancient Repository, Palisade, Spike Pits (wooden)
>Resources: wolf pelts, bones

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5326874
>Write-in
Let's head North in numbers, bringing the wolf meat with us. We can use it as a bargaining chip when negotiating with the mountain trolls in the mines. They provide us metal and ore (and perhaps crude worked tools) and we provide them tasty forest creatures.
>>
>>5326874

>Gift the meat and organs to the village
>Put on some wooden 'armor' to dissect the shock-wolf and find out what makes it work, with an eye to building a recharger.
>>
>>5326874
>Put on some wooden 'armor' to dissect the shock-wolf and find out what makes it work, with an eye to building a recharger.
>Thrush our mechanical hand in the Lighting Wolf, grab his heart and see if it can power up a battery

>>5326879
support this

i suggest :

expedition
- Alpha
- 35 Steel Minds brothers

Repository
- 15 Steel Minds brothers

Then again should we go now.
Perhaps we could learn a military formation for get extra dangerous. New batteries or a way for recharge them are needed, maybe the village or the city have something to sell ?
>>
>>5326983
True, could we create crude shields and make a phalanx? With our javelins and logical AI discipline we would make a scary hedgehog...
>>
>>5327008
Didn't see we already had shields, but we should drill with them.
>>
>>5327008
i like the idea, though we have the problem of the corpses rotting now, unless we go now and decide to sell/gift them
>>
>>5327027
They're trolls. I think they'll take quantity over quality.
>>
I hope this won't die early.
For long term goal i want to grab the troll mine since we are machine metals are valuable.

For now do something about the corpse and sent scouting party to gauge the troll strength and numbers
>>
>>5326880
Support
>>
>>5326879
>>5326880
>>5326983
>>5327398
There seems to be a tie between giving the meat to the villagers or the trolls. I'll wait a couple hours more if someone wishes to break it, if not then I'll roll for it.

Either way, roll 1d100 Bo3 for diplomacy.
>>
Rolled 85 (1d100)

>>5327811
For villager
>>
Rolled (1d00)

>>5327811

I voted village
>>
Rolled 49 (1d100)

00 doesn't work
>>
Rolled (1d00)

>>5327811
Troll roll
>>
>>5328053
>>5328059
Wtf am I doing wrong when rolling?
>>
>>5328065
You're putting in 1d00 instead of 1d100.

Update tomorrow.
>>
>>5323406
you know, I am glancing at the quest and the robot says "magic:Abysmal" yet your description features magic origins and mechanisms by A LOT. You might want to get it straight net time.

>the robots communicate to one another by some magical thing
why not write that they communicate by GBA multiplayer link cable. It adds a layer of complexity to talking and a weakness that makes the robots interesting
>>
>>5328384
I just copied the machine card from one of the standard civ templates, so it's not really indicative of what abilities they truly possess. It does reflect the general feel though.

Regarding communication by linkage, it's a decent idea, but I'm already rolling with the ethereal voice thing. The machines are already handicapped by lacking much of technologies and resources to even simply make more of themselves, I could've impeded communication as well, but ultimately decided against it.
>>
>>5328419
That's cool. I did notice the machines don't have much inventiveness going on, despite themselves being very machine
>>
Rolled 66 (1d100)

>>5327811
Third roll.
>>
>>5327965
>>5328059
>>5328747
>Dissect Lightning Wolf
>Give wolf meat to the village
>85

You decide to determine what part of the Lightning Wolf produces electricity. Putting on some wooden "armour", you cut the corpse apart. It would seem the heart itself is the source of power -- as you extract it, the corpse loses its charged nature, the lightning arcs around the fur stop. However, the heart, even when taken out, continues beating rhythmically and fiercely. You touch it with input port of one of the batteries and surely enough, it charges up. However, it seems like it slows down the beating?.. Perhaps its energy reserves aren't limitless.
>Charge as many batteries as you can
>Store it in a wooden box for now
>Write-in

Putting aside the matter of the heart, you gather up the wolf meat and head out with a party to the southern village.
"This will end badly." -- one of the machines suggests. -- "They will likely think us dangerous if we just roll up with meat of who knows which creatures before their gates."

You dismiss the worries, and it proves to be the right decision. Once you reach the limit of the forest where it gives way to clear ground with the village standing on the banks of the river, you display meat from a safe distance so that you don't get pelted with arrows.

It takes a while for a response to form. You watch as the guards on wooden watchtowers descend beyond the walls, likely to inform the superiors of your arrival. Eventually, an armed party rides out and approaches you. Their attire isn't exactly rich, but patterns of their dress and armour show signs of decent craftsmanship. These must be members of the village-town's administration. They are accompanied by less conspicuous guardsmen bearing spears, shields and wearing chainmail.
"Machines! We see you brought something for us. Meat, is it?"
"Correct. We tried opening dialogue earlier, but your people warned us with arrows."
"Ah, that... There are lots of monsters lurking all around the world, including these lands. Better safe than sorry in these kinds of situations. So, what kind of meat is it? Bird, game, pork, beef?"
"Dire wolf."
The village elder frowns.
"Strange. I guess we could take it... Is it a gift or do you wish to get something in return?"
>"It is a gift. We hope to build some goodwill with your people."
>"We wish for something in return..."
>>"...teach us how to read and write."
>>"...let us have a small shipment of tools."
>>[write-in]
>>
>>5328763
Hopefully the energy will remain inside the hearth, perhaps we could use thunders for recharge it when we put the hearth energy in our batteries?

>"...teach us how to read and write."
There is many texts and books left by our creator in the repository, some might be with the trolls language

>Talk about the region, what they know about the other peoples ?
>>
>>5328820
Support this, if they're interested in books we could start transcribing them and trading them to the village as well.
>>
>>5328763
>>Charge as many batteries as you can
>>"...let us have a small shipment of tools."

Sure, reading and writing could help us advance in deciphering the books, but that gives us no advantage. Having tools on the other hand would be well welcomed.
>>
>>5328763
>>Charge as many batteries as you can

>>"We wish for something in return..."
>>>"...teach us how to read and write."

We probably shouldn't go trading books though, could go terribly wrong.
>>
Seems we are not in emergency for battery? If the heart doesnt lose power while inside box better keep it.

If we are asking the humans to decipher books are they smart enough? I though we have superior intellect as machine.
>>
Rolled 12, 18, 15, 89 = 134 (4d100)

Rolling for encounters.
>>
>>5328820
>>5328822
>>5328894
>>5328913
>>5329895
>>"...teach us how to read and write."
>Ask about the region

You decide to store the heart for now. Perhaps an application besides charging batteries will become apparent in the future.

"Could you teach us how to read and write in return?" -- you ask the village elder.
"Of course. Decent trade. Is there anything else you wish to talk about?"
"Tell us about the region. What people live here? What places of interest are there? We know of the north, the abandoned mines, the monster nests, the mountain trolls. The east, beyond a battlefield, has a city. What else is there?"
"Ah, there is not much we can tell, I'm afraid. The world is a dangerous place; people settle primarily along the coast or rivers, further inland are wild territories where monsters, fiends, undead and other servants of dark powers dwell. We dare not venture too deep into unknown territories. Still, if our scouts are to be believed, to the southwest, on a hill overlooking a tributary to Mynaxe, on which our village and the city of Iasen stand, is a temple. It has long been abandoned and is crawling with giant insects, but in times past it is rumoured to have been an impressive bastion of sorts. Bastion against what is unknown. Directly south, beyond the river, there is a magic shield generator. It seems to have protected a series of forts, but has since fallen into disrepair and been overrun by the same insect hordes that control the church. To the southeast, there were fertile fields, but over the past generation, they have been, much like other structures, flooded with the damn monsters. Perhaps there is a hive of theirs far south, but we've not dared go further than the outer reaches. To the west there are woods, and many kilometers later, a city of fishmen. We traded with them for a long time and built up good relations. They're guarding something in a lake from which Mynaxe flows. A bit closer to what is your encampment, there is a ruined tower. It is rumoured it was used for some magical purpose. That's about it for the vicinity."
"Thank you. Quite curious information." -- you respond sincerely.
"You're welcome. It's great finding some non-hostile creatures here, after all."

A few days pass. The machines sent to village to learn written script return and teach the others the laws governing reading and writing. You can research any books you come across now.
>>
>>5329968
Turn 6
>Technology: Awakening, Repairs, Writing
>Resources: wolf pelts, bones, Lightning Wolf heart

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5329969
Short term (this turn): Research the lightning heart, using the books we have (or other ways of charging our batteries).

Long term (what to work towards): Drill with our arms and armor, scout out the magical shield generator, and prepare to take it in order to increase our technological capabilities.
>>
>>5330024
+1
>>
>>5330024
+1

I think we must prepare for battle with the trolls to take the mine doubt they are open for diplomacy
>>
>>5330059
If they aggress against us, I'm totally with it. If not, my line of thinking it will be a lot easier to take the mine if/when we take the shield generator hub and can incorporate that technology into ourselves. On OP's template we are Technology Specialists, so I don't think I'm reaching too far here.
>>
>>5330024
Support
>>
>>5330063
Isnt the shield generator further compared to the mine and it is also guarded by insects.

Also question for OP how strong are our individual soldier compared to generic human militia and troll?
>>
>>5330615
Yeah we have to ford a river to get there, but if we can harness this shield technology, we'll be so better off for it in the long run.
>>
>>5330024
Research the heart how?
We know it has limited charge and that it won't rot (as far as we know). But what else there is to do with it? If we had more equipment we could measure its output and compare it to the batteries, but there aren't more uses besides it being a power source That we know. Maybe trolls can make a frankeinstein monster and humans use it for bullshit-tier alchemy

I am being more than anal because I don't know how many actions we have, so I want to look for the thing that makes sense the most. We have 50 robros so I assume we have to divide those and turns happen afterwards

>Research the books in the repository
I hope they are written in the same human language
>Spy on the trolls on the mines. Research their numbers and hideouts. Take note of who is the leader.
My plan is to enslave the trolls and force them to work on the mines. If they are manageable that's great but if they aren't then we destroy them as intended, but for starters we need to know more about them.
>>
>>5330903
Valid points, ill swap

>>5330274
>>
>>5330903
I understand your trepidations, so I'll try to elaborate. I'm obviously hoping that the books are written in a language we can read, and if not I had planned to suggest taking them to the friendly spirit at the spirit mound, as he may have more ancient and arcane knowledge than we do obviously.

However, if we can read the books and learn the secrets of our creation, I think I have a definitive method to research the effects of the electricity heart. We have one brave robro volunteer to exhaust his battery supply to zero charge. We then disassemble our subject, isolate his battery, and attempt to channel a charge back into his battery. If it's successful, we put him back together again, and see if the heart still maintains a charge. At worst, we lose one robro, but is that not less risky than attacking an entrenched group of mountain trolls? I'm sure they could match us at least in strength, and outdo us in sheer ferocity entirely. Once we understand how to replenish our literal life support systems, then we can begin to talk about swinging our alloyed cocks about the region, but not before. That's foolish at best, catastrophic at worst.
>>
>>5331043
read the quest you diet pepsi cream muffin.

>Machines are powered by magitech power batteries. While you remain stationary, power consumption is miniscule -- one of these could last centuries -- but should you move, fight or work, it increases drastically. There is a surplus of batteries in the repository, but more need to be found, produced or recharged in some time should you wish to remain active.

>You send 10 of your brothers to the north, towards the mountains, with several batteries should their own run out -- low possibility considering the amount of power they possess, but a possibility nevertheless.

>However, the heart, even when taken out, continues beating rhythmically and fiercely. You touch it with input port of one of the batteries and surely enough, it charges up. However, it seems like it slows down the beating?.. Perhaps its energy reserves aren't limitless.

The bots use AA batteries. You can just swap 'em. One interesting experiment would be to jam the heart into a robro and hope it lasts longer than a regular battery, which would happen since the heart can refil more than one battery before running out (according to what QM said, I can be very wrong of course)
>>
>>5331043
and about choosing between attacking the trolls now or after we have something to protect our anus with, I agree.
I just want intelligence for now
>>
>>5329969
>>5330903 +1
>>
>>5330615
You are very powerful compared to regular human militia. Not peak human condition, but in the upper 15-10% for sure. Your fighting mastery is great as well, you can fight on par with an experienced knight or even better. Basically you were built war and that's what you excel at.

Trolls are a tough enemy to beat. You don't know much about them but the scouts report they stand at about 4 meters in height, which means they're stronger than you. One direct swing of their club could probably incapacitate a machine, not to an irreparable state -- you are pretty tough as well -- but still considerable in damage. Good thing is, they're quite slow and clumsy.
>>5331087
Yes, you can refill more than 1 battery with the heart.

Roll 1d100 Bo3 for scouting out trolls' hideouts, numbers and leader.
>>
Rolled 20 (1d100)

>>5331230
>>
>>5331230
>Roll 1d100 Bo3 for scouting out trolls' hideouts, numbers and leader.
Which one is good low or high roll?
>>
>>5331087
i think we should try and see if we can attract thunders and then direct them in to the heart. The heart has energy visibly running through it, so it should be able to handle it.
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>5331230
>>
>>5331244
High roll is good.
>>
Rolled 38 (1d100)

>>5331230
It's a good day to get smashed by trolls.
>>
>>5330044
>>5330059
>>5330903
>>5330988
>>5331169
>Research books in the repository
>Scout the trolls
>38

You decide to split up the tasks between your kin. Some scouts, led by the Head Scout, are sent north, to the troll tribe. The rest start deciphering books to learn the inner workings of your own bodies. The books are written in an ancient language, likely made obsolete by time. The similarities to what you learned are there, but it takes quite a while to fully understand the texts.

The construction of a machine is not that complex. This is likely due to your purpose -- delicate automata wouldn't be suited for war. The inner structure consists of 4 main parts. The first part is the engine, powered by batteries, from which all movement of the machine flows. The second part is the core, a strange device of magitech housed within your head, it controls the tempo of the engine, what movement is carried out specifically, as well as learning, conversation, and other behavioural stuff. The third part, the strands of giant spider silk and leather belts which are connected to the engine, strung through axis points, used for delivering moving force where it's needed. Finally, a layer of compressed wool, likely to dampen the received blows so that they don't damage the inner parts, as well as the outer shell, to various parts of which the strands and leather belts are attached.

With this much researched, you possess the knowledge to construct more machines like yourself, but there is more to be learned here. By the time you're finished, the scouts return. They bring unfortunate news of failure. They managed to discern the number of trolls as somewhere between 30 and 60, but upon trying to locate their village and patrol patterns, they were spotted by watchtrolls and forced to escape back into the forest.

Turn 7
>Technology: Awakening, Repairs, Writing, Machine Construction

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Keep researching the repository books
>Write-in
>>
>>5331280
Attempt to make contact with the friendly spirits of the spirit mound to the east. Perhaps they can assist us in deciphering our arcane and archaic texts.
>>
>>5331280
>>Keep researching the repository books

>>Attempt to make contact [with whom?]

Spirit mound i suppose
>>
>>5331318
>>5331290
This is a sensible plan. I am twitchy that the trolls are going to wonder what the fuck was that, but considering their numbers and apparent slowness, I bet that they won't show up soon.
>>5331280
>Attempt to make contact with the spirit mound that's east from here
>>
>>5331406
I agree the troll must now be dealt with now that they're on to us. Bad rolls aren't your fault. Let's just get into the best position to do so first.
>>
Keep research and contact spirit
>>
To deal with trolls - fire? Pointy sticks seem a poor choice for the traditional troll.

Craft -> Primative Fire Sacks (leaf litter in hide) and simple fire bows.
>>
>>5331854
Good idea
>>
>>5331280
>>>Keep researching the repository books
>>>Attempt to make contact [with whom?]
>Spirit mound
>>Keep researching the repository books

>>Attempt to make contact [with whom?]

Spirit mound
>>
>>5331290
>>5331318
>>5331406
>>5331849
>>5331854
>>5332091
>Attempt to make contact with spirit mound

While studying the repository's books, you make note of how you are called in the texts. There are a lot of models with differences both considerable and small. Their naming follows a pattern of "Mk. *version number* *descriptive word*". The descriptors are an assortment of various words, from monster names such as "Wyvern" or "Basilisk" to something completely innocent like "Rosethorn". It seems there weren't any definitive names for your kind. It falls upon you to think of something.
>[write-in]
>Delay this, just call yourselves "Machines" for now.

You leave some of your kin to keep researching the books, while you and several others depart for the spirit mound.

A day's worth of travel later you reach it. The hill is sparsely forested; between trees lay shallow graves, marked by objects buried in the ground -- spears, swords, staves or tombstones. Shadows of heroes past and ancestors dance in the corner of your vision, hiding between tree branches, singing barely audible long-forgotten songs. A ghost more material than others approaches you.
"Machines..." -- it whispers. -- ... what do you... seek here?..
>[write-in]
>>
>>5332144
Fug i am bad at write in maybe ask for knowledge and power
>>
>>5332144
>Steel Minds

>"We seek survival of our race first and firstmost, secondly we seek knowledge of the arts and past, thirdly we seek power for secure our home and ourselves."
>"We where made to serve and fight for our master long long ago, now we will walk towards our path but first we need to survive and this place is rich in magic, something we need and will have."
>>
Also introduce ourselves has Alpha. See if we can talk with the spirit about this place, taking the magic here should be beneficial for us.
>>
>>5332217
Adding on to this:

>But surely you need somethings as well. Your spirits trapped in this location for eternity, as we were once trapped. Who could possibly understand that struggle more than us? But we were given a second chance. Perhaps we are now YOUR second chance... Surely there is something you have not accomplished in life that we may be able to help you with?
>>
>>5332353
I love this. The machines introduce a need that the spirits may not have. Which is GOOD. They may have been okay being in one place doing absolutely nothing, but what if they can do something?

If I would be a spirit, I would be on board with what the machines may offer in return
>>
>>5332186
>>5332217
>>5332218
>>5332353
>>5332515
>write-ins

Locking in Steel Minds for civilization name or anyone else has other suggestions?
>Steel Minds
>[write-in]

"We seek survival of our race first and foremost, secondly we seek knowledge of the arts and past, thirdly we seek power to secure our home and ourselves. We were made to serve and fight for our master long long ago, now we will walk towards our own path but first we need to survive and this place is rich in magic, something we need and will have." -- you state your goals confidently and directly.
"Aha... What is your name, machine?.."
"Alpha. I am the leader of my people."
"Alpha... Interesting name... You speak with such confidence... of taking this place's magic for yourself... "something we need and will have"... but are you as confident we're going to give it up this easily?.." -- arcane powers begin dancing along the spirit's body.
A valid question, really. Perhaps offering something in return will help?
"Well, surely you need something as well. Your spirits are trapped in this location for eternity, as we were once trapped. Who could possibly understand that struggle more than us? But we were given a second chance. Perhaps we are now your second chance... Surely there is something you have not accomplished in life that we may be able to help you with?"
"We are content, mostly... We sleep, and see dreams... When we are called upon, we awaken... and help the Iasenians... but... a trade, is it?.. There is indeed some unfinished work, if you'll entertain our stories." -- the spirit's voice hardens from a barely audible whisper to proper talk.
"We are listening." -- you respond.
"The orcs of the northern mountains have been making more and more daring raids down south, pillaging the farms surrounding Iasen and swiftly retreating before a response can form. We wish to punish them in the name of the city we protect."
"Is there anything you can do for us before we set out against the orcs?"
"Yes. How do you wish us to help you?"
>"Knowledge..."
>>"... of how to defeat monsters and mountain trolls." You'll need metals from the northern mines to construct more of your kind.
>>"... of crafting technology, metal, leather, wood."
>>"... [write-in]"
>"Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."
>[write-in]
>>
>>5333034
>Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."
some power boost before fighting orcs is good

Can you pick 2 or only 1?
>>
>>5333039
One.
>>
>>5333034
>>"Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."
>>
Or maybe we can ask how to deal with troll 1st?? And get the orcs after we have metal to create more robots and weapons.

But idk which one is stronger the orcs or the trolls
>>
>>5333034
>>"... of crafting technology, metal, leather, wood."
>>
>>5333034
Voting for power
>>
>>5333034

>Union

You are ancient and knowledgeable, yet tied here. We are mobile with minds newly awoken, memories of the past forgotten. Let the adventurous among you ride in us to see the world, to advise us, and to learn with us.
>>
>>5333034
>>"Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."
GIMME GIMME GIMME
>>
>>5333034
>>
Rolled 15 (1d100)

>>5333039
>>5333070
>>5333154
>>5333181
>>5333442
>>5333583
>>5334414
>"Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."

"Power. Give us your blessing so that we may face off against superior enemies."
"Very well. Bring us your weaponry -- we will enchant it with a sapping plague. One cut, and your enemy's strength will be greatly diminished."
You pause before saying anything else.
"This is a strange idea, but... perhaps we could arrange a union between you and us? You are ancient and knowledgeable, yet tied here. We are mobile with minds newly awoken, memories of the past forgotten. Let the adventurous among you ride in us to see the world, to advise us, and to learn with us."
The spirit's face is a blank, flowing canvas with only deep, luminous eyes and mouth.
"We are ancestor spirits, as such, our life is tied to this place, to the people we protect. As I've said, we see dreams when we're not needed -- that is plenty entertaining even without travel. Although..." -- the spirit's mouth widens into an eerie smile. -- "I guess we could arrange for some of us to accompany you. After you deal with the orcs, that is."

It takes another trip for you to deliver your weapons to the spirit mound. The ghosts perform arcane manipulations, channelling their energy into the swords, axes and spears. When you pick them up, you feel... power radiating from them. If you look closely, there are strands of spells woven around the blades.

A few days later the results of further research into the repository's books are ready. This time the construction of batteries is found out. Much like the structure of a machine, it's quite simple. The capacitor itself is a mana crystal. It is fit into an iron frame and linked with the engine or charger through the output and input ports respectively. These ports feature a link node made of wood soaked in condensed mana. While itself, the wood can neither conduct electricity nor contain magical energy, when reinforced with mana, it starts possessing curious qualities. The batteries can be charged using electricity, mana potions, or directly by channelling magical energy with the help of a mage.

The research also determined the construction of the engine and the computational head unit. The engine is akin to a piano in structure: by channelling magical energy from the battery, a certain spidersilk string is pulled and movement performed. The head unit is oddly simple for such control over the system -- it is a series of metallic tablets linked by the same magicrystals, with an isolated collection of wires leading to the engine carrying charges both to the head and from it.
>>
>>5334444
The researchers have looked into other books in the repository, but they are of limited usefulness. They detail the ways in which various spells are cast -- an impossible prospect for you.

Before you can proceed to other tasks, a sudden visitor approaches your camp. An ethereal girl floating through the forest, torn dress, half-transparent, wisps of undead smoke. It seems a BANSHEE has arrived at your doorstep. You step out, weapons at the ready.
"Halt!" -- you call out to her. -- "What do you seek here?"
"Ah, I'm running away from pursuers... The other undead coming after me from the battlefield to the east. May I... May I hide in your camp?.. I'll explain everything, just not now."
>Conceal her
>Turn her away
>>
Also I don't want to lock something in if most of you aren't voting for it, so I'll ask in a separate post to make sure you anons see this: Steel Minds for our civilization name or not? If not, what do you suggest?
>>
>>5334445
Kick rocks pound sand beat feet. Turn her away.
>>
>>5334447
Steel Minds is fine by me. Better than the Alloyed Cocks I suppose.
>>
>>5334447
I like it

>>5334445
>Conceal her
She needs to use her own powers, our home has no ability to conceal her magic. If she can't is best she waits away, while we see who arrives and talk with them.
>>
>>5334445
>>Conceal her
>>
>>5334445
>>Turn her away
What a bother!!!!

I do like steel minds
>>
>>5334445
>Conceal her
>>
>>5334445
>>Turn her away
nah
>>
Hide her and hear her explanation we can throw her away later depending on her story
>>
>>5334459
>>5334531
>>5334543
>>5334634
>>5334842
>>5335019
>>5335307
>Steel Minds locked in
>Conceal her

You decide to help the banshee after all.
"Fine. Come in. Hide in the repository until your pursuers leave." -- you tell her.
"Thank you!" -- she says before swiftly floating through your ranks and into the underground structure.
The seeker party arrives soon. An assortment of walking dead: zombies and skeletons bearing rusted weapons. They are lead by a ghoul with margianlly better equipment. Some of them fall into the spike pits. The leader curses, but approaches your encampment nonetheless.
"You, machines!" -- he calls out in a dread voice. -- "We are seeking a banshee. Tell us where she went, if you've seen her."
"We did not." -- you answer with a stone- er, iron face.
"Damn it! We're on the wrong trail then." -- the ghoul exclaims, before proceeding deeper into the forest, spreading out his party in a larger formation to cover more ground.
Well, that was easier than expected.

After making sure the undead have left, you descend into the repository to find the girl sitting in a corner, shuddering at every sound.
"You shouldn't fear, your pursuers have left." -- you reassure her.
"Ah, that's great. Thank you again."
"Now, why were they chasing you in the first place?"
"Well, in short, not that many undead possess consciousness. Most are simply bound to the will of a superior being, be it other undead or a living master. However, sometimes it so happens that normally simple undead attain consciousness. These are usually swiftly exterminated so that they may not threaten the dominion of their master. And I... I awakened. That's why they were chasing after me."
You give a thought to her words for a while.
"May I stay with you, for now at least?" -- she asks. -- "I've got nowhere else to go, really..."
"Hm... We can't just house someone of no use to the Steel Minds." -- you answer. -- "If you wish to stay, make yourself useful. What can you do?"
"Not much, but... A banshee's voice possesses power. I can hurt your enemies by emitting screams. I can also scout for you since I'm half-transparent. Oh, and I also see books all around, perhaps you need help with research? I can do that. Also, I'm not very demanding -- I've no need for food or sleep, just... some entertainment would be nice. I can make do without it though!"
>Let her stay
>Wait for the undead to give up their search, then send her away
>>
>>5335425
Turn 8
>Weapons: swords, axes, spears, shields, stone javelins
>Weapon enchantments: sharpness, magic plague, durability
>Technology: Awakening, Repairs, Writing, Machine Construction, Battery Crafting

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5335425
>Send her away

I'm not letting any undead bitch rifle through our repository of knowledge to do God knows what when we don't understand it ourselves, even if she is our undead waifu. Wait until it's safe and banish her.

>>5335426
>Destroy monsters [Orcs to the North]
Time to live up to our end of the bargain with the spirits of the mound, but we should ask if they have a token or something the villagers can use to identify us so we won't be attacked on the way there.
>>
>>5335425
>>Let her stay
But!!! Under the compromise that she doesn't read the books. She will find out stuff we don't know to how to handle and that's not a good idea. All of our secrets and weaknesses... also we should have killed the undead party for shits and giggles, they looked weak as fuck

>Explore the orcs at the northern mountains

I wanna KILL with our ENHANCED cock WEAPONS but we better learn more about 'em first. I hope we don't meet the trolls in our way there...
>>
>>5335463
>>5335452
Why not attack the orcs and use the banshee as scout and support with her scream. We lose nothing if she die again
>>
>>5335425
>>Let her stay

>>Hunt down monsters [where?]
Orcs
>>
>>5335426
Considering possibility of banshee spirit retaining spiritual connection to her original corpse…
Low likelihood.

Construction of telescopic seeing eye or applicable lightest weight drone lifted by temporarily heated leather balloons…
Yields extended vision to see possible adversaries or unknowns from farther away. Unacceptable chance of detection requires stationing anchor away from underground hold to avoid full detection from unknowns.

Considering mana generation from local fauna OR flora to renew spent batteries, incentivizing system of farming or raising…
Requires inquiry from mana detectors or local knowledge for validation.
Don’t wanna say to adversaries it’s for powering batteries, so lie and say it’s for increasing ecosystem stability.

Construction of reinforced wheel made of wood set aflame while peers roll it forward from inside and flatten enemies…
Yields distraction and destruction potential. Limited use to flat non-wooded areas or flat areas where damage control is not priority. Noting heavy cost on nearby forested area, suggesting construction area distanced from target site.

Considering cleaning pits…
>>
>>5335682
Lol wut
>>
Rolled 85 (1d100)

>>5335452
>>5335463
>>5335533
>Let her stay, but deny access to repository
>Attack orcs

"We will let you remain here." -- you tell the banshee after a brief consideration. -- "But you won't be allowed to access the repository's books. Should you be found doing that, you'll face punishment."
"Okay. Thanks for letting me stay."

You decide to deal with the orcs as soon as possible. Gathering all the machines and a surplus of batteries, you march out north, past the monster lair and into the mountains. Scouting in force, it still takes you half a day to locate a suitable pass that leads deeper into the mountains.

The banshee helps scout from the air. It is thanks to her that you locate the first obstacle on your journey -- a tribe of beastmen, horned, barbaric beings, block the path you're taking.
>Attempt to negotiate access, perhaps they won't attack you right away
>Surprise attack
>Spend time seeking another path
>>
>>5336218
How numerous are they? Maybe seek another path
>>
>>5336218
>>Surprise attack
DEATH TO THE SONS OF CHAOS
>>
>>5336383
About 100. They are decently armed.
>>
>>5336218
>>Attempt to negotiate access, perhaps they won't attack you right away

If nothing else, kill the chief and take possession of the tribe, use them for fodder and cheap labor
>>
>>5336413
Well surprise attack. i think we are superior and have blessed weapons
>>
>>5336218
>>Surprise attack
ensure to coordinate the timing well
>>
Rolled 61 (1d100)

>>5336391
>>5336415
>>5336773
>>5337499
>Surprise attack

It is time to test your blessed weapons and possibly obtain some slaves. You silently give the sign for the attack and lead the charge through the narrow mountain pass straight at the beastmen. They notice you and attempt to quickly form up, calling out to each other with roaring voices, but you make contact before they can organise a proper defence.

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>5337555
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>5337555
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>5337555
If we die, will we get 72 robo virgins in the iCloud?
>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>5337620
>>5337630
>>5337662
You won't know until you die.
>89

Your initial charge claims the lives of two dozen beastmen. Your fighting algorithms kick in, guiding your hands to where the hit will be most painful. Even if they manage to block it, a single glancing cut is all it takes to sap their strength, and finishing off the horned ones is a simple matter after that. The banshee helps as well -- her shrill screams make the beastmen clutch their bleeding ears, providing an opening for a strike by the machines. They fight fiercely, but eventually give ground to your assault. Once two scores of them are left, they flee, but your limitless endurance allows you to capture them. You claim their crude, yet effective weaponry for yourselves. Having tied them down with whatever rags they were wearing, you consider what to do with your captives.
"No... no death! Please... no death!" -- with the chief slain, one of the beastmen begs in broken Iasenine.
>Put them to the sword. You have no use for potentially rebellious slaves.
>Send a detachment of ten machines to escort them back to camp. You'll decide what to do with them later. Sending 1/5 of your force back would seriously weaken you, though.
>Offer them better conditions [freedom? y/n] if they help you fight against the orcs.
>Write-in
>>
>>5337692
>>Offer them better conditions [freedom? y/n] if they help you fight against the orcs.
>>
>>5337692
>>Put them to the sword. You have no use for potentially rebellious slaves.
NO RESPITE FOR CHAOS.
NO ROOM FOR CHAOS INFLUENCE
THE STEEL IS ALL WE KNOW. LIVE AND DIE BY IT
>>
>>5337699
+1 use them as meatshields
We decide what to do with the survivor later
>>
>>5337699
+1, especially information.

Let the Banshee plus 1-2 of ours look after him - maybe she has some insight on how we should deal with him.
>>
>>5337692
>>>Put them to the sword. You have no use for potentially rebellious slaves.
>>
>>5337699
+1
Ask for valid information about the orcs and the territories or the survivor dies by banshee.
>>
>>5337692
>Put them to the sword. You have no use for potentially rebellious slaves.

STEEL FOR THE STEEL GOD!
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>5337699
>>5337704
>>5337747
>>5337949
>>5338048
>>5338073
>>5338163
>Offer them better conditions [freedom? y/n] if they help you fight against the orcs.

You count the casualties from the battle before you take any other actions. Three machines are in need of repairs before they may fight again. Unfortunately, you don't possess the tools to tweak and fix them.

"Good work helping us with the beastmen." -- you address the banshee. -- "It's late, but what is your name?.."
"Thanks. It's Aix."
"Do you know anything about the beastmen? How should we deal with them? How to obtain information from them?"
"Not much. I know from some stories told long ago they live in remote areas and make little contact with civilization. Sometimes they offer services such as guidance through their territories or trade for valuable hides and other goods with the humans and other races. That's about it."
"I see."

You take some time to explain to the beastman who somewhat understood the language you use that you seek orcs in the mountains. He seems willing to cooperate. You also explain to him using sign language that if they help you in battle, they will be offered better conditions or even set free. As the beastman translates this to his tribesmen, their mood somewhat improves. You head out soon afterwards.

It takes some days of travel through the snaking mountain passes for you to arrive in the valley where orcs reside -- the beastmen hold up their end of the bargain. You send the banshee to scout once again. She returns, bringing grim news.

There's a lot of them. About 300, some young or old, but a lot nevertheless. Not only that, it seems they are in a fortified encampment.
"Now that I think about it..." -- she continues. -- "You told me you got info from the spirits that they were raiding the fields near the city, right? Must have been pretty powerful if they could breach the outer defences and get away with it."
"Perhaps we should have asked the city for help." -- the Head Scout approaches you.
What is your plan here?
>Write-in
>Return to camp. You should have prepared more for this.
>>
>>5338584
>>Return to camp. You should have prepared more for this.
>>And set the beastmen free. I don't want them finding out where we live.

Damn... I would assume we would be victorious if it's 150 able orc warriors v/s 50 machines but that would be costly... welp, I hope the spirit blessing's don't run out
>>
>>5338584
Return to camp
>>
>>5338584
we must get the tools and resource needed to repair or there is no hope every cut is permaent on us
>>
>>5338679
>>>Return to camp. You should have prepared more for this.

May as well seek out some help I guess, and let's keep the beastmen auxiliaries.
>>
Maybe we can prepare fire molotov bomb and fire arrow (should be easy because we are smart robots) and then deal with the trolls to take the mine. We also can use the banshee as scout and scream from inside the camp before we launch our surprise raid.
>>
Morale is important. We can terrify the orc people with loud noises and a fearsome flaming charge. Go through and cut down those we can and try to scatter the camp. Cut down those who run for a bit, then loot the camp. We don't need to kill them all, just stop their predations on the town, and driving them off in fear is one way to do that. Maybe paint scary faces and glue on horns?
>>
Actually, if the camp is properly fortified then this isn't a great idea. Setting fire from a distance and ambushing any warriors who come out to stop us is better. The old firing squad hidden behind the rock trick.
>>
>>5338584
>>
>>5338584
>>
>>5338791
You would need glass, cloth and oil for molotovs. Fire arrows are possible, but they'd have stone tips.
>>5338679
>>5338734
>>5338766
>>5339578
>>5339660
>Return to camp. You should have prepared more for this.

So much for travelling all the way here. Perhaps sending a small scouting party would've been better. Speaking of scouts, the Head Scout, both working in tandem with Aix and on their own, has been of great help recently. A name for them may be in order.
>[write-in Head Scout's name]
>Perhaps later...

There is also the question of what to do with the beastmen. They ended up only helping you with guidance through the mountains. You consider two variants: keeping them as auxiliaries, or setting them free so that they don't know the location of your camp.
>Keep the beastmen as war allies [war slaves? y/n]. You'll have to deliver on your promise of decent conditions though.
>Free them around the point where you've defeated them.

You've used up a lot of batteries both on this trip and during the past month...

Turn 9
>Population: 51 [3 machines in disrepair]
>Power batteries: average
>Technology: Awakening, Repairs, Writing, Machine Construction, Battery Crafting

>Engage in diplomacy [with whom?]
>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Request advice from your people [regarding what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5339685
>>Engage in diplomacy [with whom?]
I want to trade with the humans but it seems we dont have any goods to trade atm?

And do we have the resources tp repair our broken bros?
>>
>>5339705
Anon, please note there's three (3) choices in the update. Also check resources for tradeable goods. I swear, sometimes it seems like you anons aren't reading the update at all.

>And do we have the resources tp repair our broken bros?
You don't need resources to repair them unless the damage is major, only tools. It's a matter of disassembling the carapace and re-binding the spidersilk strands.
>>
>>5339685
>>Keep the beastmen as war allies [war slaves? y/n]. You'll have to deliver on your promise of decent conditions though.
Keeping them as thralls would be fine, i expect they'd make good scouts.

>>[write-in Head Scout's name]
Supporting whatever gets put forward

>>Engage in diplomacy
The humans, let's set up a joint attack on the orcs
>>
>>5339734
I was referring to our own produced resources like crops, herds etc but since we are robots we dont have anything like that to trade.

>>5339806
>Keeping them as thralls would be fine, i expect they'd make good scouts.

I'd keep them if they are just generic half human half beast not chaos shit like in warhammer.
>>
>>5339685
>[write-in Head Scout's name]
Theta

>>Keep the beastmen as war allies (thralls)
Y

>Research [what?]
Train for create a military formation (phalanx with javelins being throw from the back. Swords and Axes, cut down the enemies that arrive near shields)

>>Engage in diplomacy
The humans
>>
>>5339892
Well if you wanted to go the phalanx route, we'd want highly skilled skirmishers for covering the flanks of the phalanx, sadly I don't think our weapons are long enough to even make a phalanx. Certainly something to work on though
>>
Rolled 58 (1d100)

>>5339705
>>5339806
>>5339892
>Head Scout name: Theta
>Keep the beastmen as thralls
>Engage in diplomacy [humans]

"You have done well scouting since our awakening." -- you tell the head scout. -- "It is time you obtained a name. It will be Theta -- of same kind as mine."
"Thank you, Alpha." -- the scout answers.
There is no joy in his voice, nor is his gait any lighter -- all machines move the same, after all. Perhaps they are happy to have received a name. Perhaps.

You decide to keep the beastmen as battle thralls. While benefits of this approach are obvious -- you can't have too many meatshields and scouts -- the disadvantages are considerable as well. The beastmen have no need for shelter, luckily. They sleep on the ground, protected by their fur from the elements. However, they still require food and water. The river is nearby; they use the waterskins they have from back when they were free to carry it. The food, however... It takes hunting and gathering to obtain it, and you can't just risk sending the thralls out into the forest -- that is a sure way to lose them. You eventually settle on creating mixed squads of machines and beastmen. This does take some manpower (machinepower?) from doing other tasks though. At least the furs and hides the hunters bring back are decent.

>Acquired stable source of HIDES

You assemble a small diplomatic party and head out for the village, which you find out is called Irsur. Explaining that you need their help to access the city for negotiations, you manage to convince the elder to help you. A few days later, you stand at the gates of Iasen. For the first time, you enter inside.

The streets are full of people, various races, various ages. You've never seen so many in your lifetime. Their chatter makes you go into overdrive a bit, you're not sure how to absorb this much new information, how to sift through it. Your path lies through the living quarters, folk chilling on the decrepit, rusty balconies on the upper floors, smoking, playing cards, talking in barely audible voices. Then, the market, full of haggling, merchants peddling all kinds of stuff from dwarven beer to spices from southern lands, all on a vast square bordered by more specialised workshops: smithies, glassblowers, carpenters, tailors. In the distance, beyond the high and low roofs, the tips of industrial buildings are visible.
>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>5340642
Finally, you reach the city administration. The mayor himself, a tall, slender middle-aged man introducing himself as Kimtius Molor, receives you.
"The spirits told us about the orcs." -- you tell him. -- "They also gave us a task to accomplish -- to conduct a punitive raid against them. However, our scouts reported there are too many for us to take on alone, and they're in a fortified settlement to boot. We've come here seeking your help."
"Our forces are already stretched thin protecting the fields from undead and the bugs." -- Kimtius frowns. -- "But I guess the city could spare a hundred or two to help you. What is your plan with storming it though? Or will you throw my men against walls and hope for the best?" -- his voice is somewhat dubious.
"We'll probably set fire to their village. That should bring them out into open battle. There, we can overcome them with your help."
"Solid plan. Fine then. Just give us a notice when you'll be heading out so the militia can join you. Is that all?"
>Trade wolf pelts for tools
>That is all
>Write-in

Turn 10
>Population: 84 [50 machines - 3 in disrepair; 33 beastmen; 1 banshee]

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5340645
>>Trade wolf pelts for tools

>>Write-in
Ask what resources they would prefer for trade, ask if perhaps there is a bounty on insects and undead.

>>Craft [what?]

Using our new tools would we be able to craft superior javelins? In any case we should make some that are designed around housing some flammable materials.
>>
>>5340645
>>Trade wolf pelts for tools
>Hunt down monsters
Bugs to take pressure off the humans
>>5340715
+1
>>
Trade for molotov materials and proceed to attack the orcs with human
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>5340715
>>5340759
>>5340799
>Trade wolf pelts for tools
>Ask what resources they would prefer for trade, ask if perhaps there is a bounty on insects and undead.
>Craft flame javelins

"We have a stockpile of wolf pelts. Is it possible to exchange them for a shipment of tools? That would be an invaluable addition to our manufacturing capabilities."
"Why yes, it is very much possible."
"While we're on the topic of trade, which resources do you need? What can we trade for with you?"
"Let's see... Ever since the northwestern mines have been overrun with spiders and trolls, we've been importing iron and magic crystals from elsewhere. If you have such resources, or generally magic equipment, which is always in shortage, we would be happy to buy them from you. We are also in need of some specialised resources such as magically charged water, which we get from the Amvi fishmen upriver, or rare monster parts like regsin hearts for hex bombs or okran tail hair for magitech lamps, but I don't imagine there are any in your vicinity; you aren't that far from our lands, I assume."
"That is true. Regarding insects and the undead, is there a bounty on them we could collect?"
"There is. In fact, that's one way you can acquire coin or even resources you need directly."

You make a few trips between the camp and the city to deliver furs and get the tools. With these acquired, you make quick and precise repairs to the few machines that were damaged. With superior equipment, you improve your javelins, both sharpening the tips with stonecutting and making small holes for attaching rope connected to jars full of flammable liquid. The only thing left is to find the resources to produce these flaming charges such as clay and oil.

Before you can get to it, though, your scouts bring worrisome news. To the north, the monsters have become active in their lair. They must be preparing to attack someone in their vicinity -- possibly, your encampment.
"We'll need to deal with them sooner or later." -- Theta suggests. -- "They're in the way of our access to the northern mines."
How will you counter the monsters?
>Entrench in the encampment
>Take the fight to the enemy...
>>...fighting in a tight phalanx with beastmen covering the sides
>>...skirmishing and dividing the monsters
>Write-in
>>
>>5342276
>>Entrench in the encampment
We fortify and try to fight from advantageous position
>>
>>5342276
>>
>>5342276
I believe this option will spend batteries the least. I am getting worried and I don't see any quick alternative to 'em... we can always depower a certain amount of machines to get the batteries to last longer
>>
>>5342345
>>5342527
>>5343246
>Entrench in the encampment

There is more reason to fight in the fortified camp than endanger your kin and the beastmen in a forward operation. You prepare caltrops with your newly-acquired tools and make sure the spike pits are sharp and concealed by leaves and branches. The beastmen stockpile food so as not to venture out during this dangerous time. All that's left is to let the enemy come. One day, the forest whispers with movement...

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>5343575
>>
Rolled 14 (1d100)

>>5343575
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>5343575
>>
Rolled 45 (1d100)

>>5343672
>>5343678
>>5343722
>82 v 7

The beasts emerge from the woods. At first, they charge your encampment's entrance points, evidently hoping to crush you with overwhelming power, but the wave of monsters, oversized, mighty tri-tailed cats, end up collapsing into the spike pits with blood-chilling howls. The rest, observing the failure of their kin, attempt careful advance, but the caltrops wound them, and the javelins finish off the crippled enemies.

The last wave of felines arrives. Running over the dead, evading the spike pits with long leaps, they slam into the machine lines, but your kin hold true. The purpose of the high number of tails becomes apparent in close combat -- the monsters use them to make puncture wounds; not only that, they seem to have venom at the bony tips. Luckily, machines have no blood to poison. You hack and slash and stab the monsters until none are left.

It is your victory.

There are, naturally, some machines crippled, but they are quickly repaired. You participate in taking what can be taken from the monster carcasses. Corpses are skinned, venom glands are squeezed into makeshift wooden bottles, meat is prepared and smoked for the beastmen to consume.

"We should clean up the lair-nest to the north while they're weakened after the raid." -- one of the machines suggests.
However, there's no telling how powerful the remainder of the monsters are. Do you carry out an attack against the monsters to the north?
>Yes, time to put and end to them and clear the way north [optional: write-in tactics]
>No, it is not yet time
>>
>>5343795
Send the banshee to scout their strength while we prepare and fix any damage
>>
>>5343795
>>Yes, time to put and end to them and clear the way north
>>
>>5343795
>>Yes, time to put and end to them and clear the way north
Once there we draw them out of the lair

>>5343797
+1
>>
Attack the monsters. Since they have no range, build a quick wall at the mouth of the caves, then try to fill the cave with smoke and stab/shoot anything that comes out. We need not breathe. Maybe bring some leather with us in case we need to build a bellows on site due to the airflow.
>>
>>5343795
>>>Yes, time to put and end to them and clear the way north
>>
Rolled 99 (1d100)

>>5343797
>>5343798
>>5343885
>>5344284
>>5344506
>Yes, time to put and end to them and clear the way north

You send the banshee to scout out the monster reserves while you think of a plan. You consider building a quick wall at the entrance to their lair, but the other machines doubt the monsters will allow you the luxury of safe labour. However, the idea of smoking them out has merit -- you prepare logs to be set on fire and rolled into the lair.

Aix returns soon. She reports there are about 100 beings left, some greater, more powerful than usual. A reasonable amount to fight against, considering your own numbers and skill. Sharing the details of your strategy with the rest of the machines, you depart...

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 72 (1d100)

>>
Rolled 3 (1d100)

>>5344573
>>
Rolled 96 (1d100)

>>5344573
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>5344585
>>5344671
>>5344682
>96 v 99

You head out for the lair. It is a day's worth of fast travel through the woods; you are a bit slowed down by the fire logs you prepared, but your tirelessness as the machines compensates this disadvantage.

At last, you arrive at your destination. The area is oddly devoid of monsters; the reason for this lay in the lair itself: an entrance to a dark cave littered with bones and remains. Vicious eyes observe your party, and vague movement is barely visible in the lair. After a few minutes of silent readiness, you give the order for the logs to be lit and rolled into the depths.

The fire illuminates the inner walls and the monsters, howling in anger. As logs crash against the walls, grinding to a stop, and smoke starts filling the lair, your enemies emerge and attack you with unforeseen ferocity.

Your lines buckle under the storm of claws, teeth and tailspikes. Dragging your shields down, the monsters place well-timed and vicious strikes which put several of yours out of action. The beastmen come to your aid. With roaring warcries, they throw axes at the enemy, cutting down a dozen at once, then engage in close combat with spears.

It is at this time that something emerges from the cave. Not regular felines -- true giants of a cat with a mane of bony spikes and puffing, vast underthroat.

The monsters swiftly part, giving way to the great enemy, and before you can respond, the Greatcats lower their heads, their needle-manes standing up, and let loose a barrage of spikes against you. Both your kin and the beastmen manage to shield themselves -- for the most part. The sheer strength and density of the attack leads to several headshots, putting some of the machines out of service, unfortunately, for a long time.

You prepare to strike back, when the enemy pulls another ace out of their sleeve, opening their giant maws to let out a mighty howl. The volume resonates with some of the magic crystals, and with some audible *pop*'s, several of your kin fall. As you are barely standing against the sonic wave, the banshee swiftly intervenes, overpowering the howls with her own scream. If not unscathed, you are at least saved and operational.

The monsters redouble their assault, however, in close combat you know no equals, especially with magically charged weaponry. With beastmen covering your flanks, you stab and hack your way out of the fight, and at the end of the day, battered, but alive, you emerge victorious.
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>5344733
You count the losses. 4 machines are damaged irreparably, at least, not until you learn the techniques of crystal-mending or something akin to that. The rest will be fixed as soon as you get back to the camp. 7 beastmen have fallen, mourned by the survivors.

You strip the corpses of what can be of use. There's only so much meat you can save; some is left to rot among the remains of the monsters' victims. You find several kittens in the cave; you take them with you. Perhaps they can be domesticated and aid you in combat later. You name the beasts "the nekir".

Inside the cave, you find some weaponry and armour -- likely, the remnants of previous attacks against the lair or simply unfortunate travellers. It is in great disrepair, but should be fine for use as scrap to be reshaped for better purpose.

Turn 11
>Population: 73 [46 machines -- 4 more inactive; 26 beastmen; 1 banshee]
>Weapons: MACHINES: swords, axes, spears, shields, stone javelins, BEASTMEN: crude shields, spears, throwing axes
>Resources: hides, tools, bones, venom, Lightning Wolf heart, nekir kittens, metal scrap

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5344739
Research how to repair badly damaged machine from library.

Inform the humans we have exterminated a monster lair the area should be safer and ask for aid either in man power to decipher our library faster or material aid for battery or bomb
>>
>>5344739
>>Craft
Let's coat the weapons of beastmen with venom, give them a little boost.

Could we also try and improve their shields and perhaps craft them some armor?

After that, lets go to the humans and band together to assault those orcs. Perhaps while there we can trade any remaining hides for some flammable stuff to use on our javelins.
>>
>>5344763
support
>>
>>5344739
>>Craft [what?]
>Use the metal scrap to reinforce the fuck out of a couple of machines. Each machine is strong and durable, but as we just saw there are monsters that can pierce through.
I want to make some slight mods to some machines you know? Tough Cog, Swift Sword, that stuff. Having different machines give us better strategies.

>>5344763
I don't want to research better repair skills, because I am worried about our battery consumption. If we keep a couple of machines unpowered, our batteries will last longer. Currently we are not doing something that's labour intensive, so we don't need all the machines at once... HMM

>>Write in
>>Introduce power cycles for the machines. Every machine has to "sleep" through a quarter of the day.
This makes our batteries last longer. I don't know if I can ask for "research different battery consumption modes" so there are different power demands that improves battery life. Studying the books require little energy and going to war requires all the energy...

Also, QM, how many things can we do every update???? I asked once
>>
>>5345109
>Machines are powered by magitech power batteries. While you remain stationary, power consumption is miniscule -- one of these could last centuries -- but should you move, fight or work, it increases drastically. There is a surplus of batteries in the repository, but more need to be found, produced or recharged in some time should you wish to remain active.

I think we dont need to worry about battery for now we also already consume less power while idling and we also have lightning heart for emergency

And +1 for using scrap for upgrade.
>>
Rolled 32 (1d100)

>>5344763
>>5344765
>>5344842
>>5345109
I want to say one, simple or complex, but with 1 update/day it is reasonable to do several in sequence. I can speed up, but anons seem to be taking their time with the votes. Perhaps it's a time zone issue.
>>5345167
>11th turn
>>Research magic crystal mending
>>Request aid from humans
>12th turn
>>Craft: improve machines with scrap / improve beastmen equipment - LOCKED, need forge first

You consider introducing cycles to conserve power, but machines already enter standby mode once they finish their assigned projects and, ultimately, the energy expended remains the same, just with projects taking longer to complete.

Your researchers delve into the repository once more, seeking knowledge of mending magic crystals. There is some evidence of energy being remains or magical being blood being capable of mending the cracks and splits, but no precise process or equipment is mentioned. It seems you'll have to obtain the materials and equipment and experiment yourselves.

You send a diplomatic party to the humans to negotiate a reward for eliminating the nekir lair, preferably molotov materials,..

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 3 (1d100)

>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>5345604
kind of time zone, also not weekend. sy
>>
Rolled 98 (1d100)

>>5345604
>>
>>5345604
civ quests don't get much traction compared to others. In my experience.
Considering anon's average mind state (me included) our autism also wishes for concrete rules and your quest doesn't have many.
Lastly, using that civ image template is a turn off for many that are familiar with them with how common they flop
>>
Rolled 56 (1d100)

>>5345607
>>5345670
>>5345765
>98

Your diplomatic mission returns with news of success. While the humans were initially pressing for the elimination of the monster nest closer to them, eventually your kin managed to convince them to deliver a shipment of volatile goods and small clay jugs for them. After you make a trip to get the materials, the molotovs are ready.

In addition to the firebombs, the humans indicated they are ready to assist in one research project of yours. While their village mage isn't the best in the area -- the Iasenians further east possess a superior corps -- he has some experience with more practical applications of magic.

Turn 12
>Population: 73 [46 machines -- 4 more inactive; 26 beastmen; 1 banshee]
>Weapons: firebombs, MACHINES: swords, axes, spears, shields, stone javelins, BEASTMEN: crude shields, spears, throwing axes
>Weapon enhancements: sharpness, magic plague, durability, venom (beastmen)
>Resources: hides, tools, bones, venom, Lightning Wolf heart, nekir kittens
>Diplomacy: Irsur - amicable, Iasen - neutral

>Construct [what?]
>Craft [what?]
>Research [what?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5345767
I'm not complaining about participation, 3 votes per update is plenty for me, no matter what time they come in. I know about the civ template infamy, but thought if I pick what I want to run from the start and deliver a decent quest anons would stick around. Now about the delivery...

Concrete rules regarding actions are hard to shape because if you set one action per turn, it may end up slowing down the quest to a halt, while if you don't set limitations there's no obstacle to queueing up tons of actions with microing where each machine goes at the same time. There's the option of introducing time chunks instead of abstract turns but that's an entire other kind of headache to manage.

I can place the concrete 1 action/turn rule if anons want that, but deciding number of actions (1-3) based on common sense has been working well so far, I think.
>>
>>5345840
1-3 actions per turn It has been working so far yea! I just wanted to see it written
>>
>>5345827
>Engage in diplomacy - Beastmen

We did kinda draft them into second class citizenry after killing half of that particular tribe. At least a check in to make sure there's no imminent backstabbing if nothing else.
>>
> Diplomancy

> magically charged water, which we get from the Amvi fishmen upriver

Let's make first contact with the Amvi, maybe we can charge our batteries with magic water? Perhaps a human trader will let us play guard in exchange for an introduction.
>>
>>5345827
>>Engage in diplomacy

Lets contact the humans and go kill those orcs, come on anons let's take 'em down!

>>5346022
Support, though they tend to be followers of strength in most settings and we have proven to be very strong so far. If they continue to perform decently and stay content we might benefit from attempting to expand their numbers somehow.

>but thought if I pick what I want to run from the start and deliver a decent quest anons would stick around.

Pretty much what drew me in, I'm so burnt out on the standard civ quest I don't even check them anymore.

1-3 options using common sense is fine by me.
>>
Create fire bomb
Attack the orcs with human
>>
>>5345827
>>Craft [what?]
Clear a nearby hill (if there is any and if there is none, we will use earth, wood and stone for create a high platform preferably not too wide, more tall. Make a small palisade around it so only us can reach it.) of trees, then build a pillar of metal for receive thunders in it. We will use it for recharge the lighting heart, while recharging our batteries with the lighting heart.
>>
Anons, you're proposing a lot of different things. Discuss among yourselves and settle on a course of action. I'll give you another day for this.
>>
>>5346812
change my vote to
>>5345827
>>
>>5346824

Looks like Diplomacy - Beastmen seems to be the majority consensus rn
>>
>>5345827

It seems like 2 for talking to the humans and killing the orcs, and 2 for diplomacy with the beastmen to unspecified ends. Therefore I vote:

>Work with the humans to kill the orcs (using the previously proposed fire + ambush method.

>Name the mech with all the fire ideas Pyrophilus
>>
Well i am fine with diplomacy and building 1st we can attack the orc after this
>>
>>5346022
>>5346068
>>5346090
>>5346093
>>5346915
>>5347411
>Attack orcs with humans

You decide to check up on the beastmen. You've done some pretty bad things to them, massacring half their tribe and drafting the rest as thralls. You secretly tell some of the machines to listen in on their conversations -- in the past weeks, you've both been studying each other's languages, so that operation is made possible...

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>5347849
>>
Rolled 92 (1d100)

>>5347849
>>
Anons, I have fallen ill, there will be no update today and possibly in the coming couple of days. Make sure to add the thread to your thread watcher so you don't miss when I return.
>>
Rolled 25 (1d100)

>>5347849
>>
>>5348259
Be well QM, hope you didn't come down with covid
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>5347925
>>5348035
>>5348653
>92

Your spies return with success. Inconspicuously hanging around the beastmen territory, they have managed to learn that the mood of your thralls is sour. They are evidently pissed that you drafted them into your army, but your strength keeps them in line. Another piece of information the machines gathered is that there is actually a village of beastmen deeper in the mountains. It seems those you encountered were a patrol force keeping watch over their territory since the trolls have been making raids and stealing sheep; there are some more beastmen in the village, but mostly women and children.

You also contact them directly and ask what is it they want. Except for freedom and return to home territories (they make sure not to mention the village), the beastmen would find some entertainment welcome.

However, that will have to wait until after you've dealt with the orcs. Under the guidance of Pyrophilus, you manufacture fire javelins. Once these are done, you call the humans to war. As agreed, a force of about 200 joins you in the northern, less dangerous reaches of the undead battlefield, which you learn the humans call the Reeling Battlefield. Guided by beastmen once again, you make your way through the mountains and to the orc village.

Surprisingly, when you were spreading out for the siege, out of the gates a mounted squad of orcs has emerged. They seem to be slowly approaching you, bearing shields but no weaponry. A delegation perhaps?
>Kill them
>Let them come, perhaps they have something to say
>>
>>5352516
>>Let them come, perhaps they have something to say
>>
>>5352516
>>
>>5352516
do you feel better qm ?
>>
>>5352516
>Your spies return with success. Inconspicuously hanging around the beastmen territory, they have managed to learn that the mood of your thralls is sour. They are evidently pissed that you drafted them into your army, but your strength keeps them in line. Another piece of information the machines gathered is that there is actually a village of beastmen deeper in the mountains. It seems those you encountered were a patrol force keeping watch over their territory since the trolls have been making raids and stealing sheep; there are some more beastmen in the village, but mostly women and children.

Maybe we can let them free as an ally/auxiliary after we deal with the trolls? i am thinking something like roman where we form the main heavy infantry bulk with less civilized ally as skirmisher etc
>>
File: boink.gif (2.87 MB, 498x280)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB GIF
>>5352516
>>Kill them
Don't be fooled, they are Orcs, agents of evil!! Kill them. Destroying this mounted unit will be a strong blow to the orc's army
>>
>>5352602
Thats kinda the idea I have in my head too. Guess we fucked up by just slaughtering them.
>>
Rolled 68 (1d100)

>>5352528
>>5352562
>>5352594
Yes, my cold has mostly subsided.
>>5352692
>Let them come, perhaps they have something to say

As the machines ready their javelins and the humans nock their arrows, you give a sign to lower the weapons. The orcs arrive soon. One of them approaches the machines, you at the head of your people.
"My name is Nudgan." -- he says. -- "Have you come to wage war on us?"
"As you can see by our weaponry." -- you reply. Surprisingly, the orc speaks decent Iasenian.
"Have the humans swayed you? We have our own side of story to tell. Why we take what is ours by right from them."
"Are you really going to listen to these raiders?" -- the human captain intervenes, barely holding back spite. -- "They have killed our men, taken our crops. There is nothing to hear here."
"We will listen." -- you cut him off.
"It is a short tale. Until a few years ago, we traded with the Iasenians for grain that seldom grows in our mountain home. But when drought struck one of these years, the humans have taken all the grain for themselves. We tried to reason that our people cannot live without it, but their leaders would not listen. We needed to attack tham to secure our food. The humans refused to trade with us afterwards, so we had to make regular raids. Do you see now why we do what we must?"
>"This is no way to do things. Surrender and pay tribute to the humans for what you've done or face destruction."
>"Both sides are partially at fault here. Perhaps an agreement can be reached to put this conflict behind you." Though the spirits will probably not be happy. They wish for vengeance for the deaths of their children, after all.
>Write-in
>>
>>5353579
Attack now while they are not prepared we have agreement with spirits and humans
>>
>>5353579
>>Write-in
>>Attack anyway.
We already have agreements. Screw the humans but I won't fail the spirit's trust
>>
>>5353579
>>Write-In
>Have them make their attempt to attone with the spirits directly. Their vengance, their call. Stick with the spirit's decision either way.
>>
>>5353579
>>"This is no way to do things. Surrender and pay tribute to the humans for what you've done or face destruction."
>>
>>5353579
>Pull a Longshanks and murder the orc diplomats

They built their society on a weak foundation, and turned to violence when it collapsed, blaming their neighbors for their own failings. Slay the orcs.
>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>5353635
>>5353811
>>5353821
>>5353986
>>5354211
>Surprise attack
You anons are pretty ruthless to your enemies, huh.

"It is your fault for building your society with dependence upon others. You reap what you sow. The only thing in the future for you is death." -- you pause. -- "Kill them."
"Attacking messengers? What kind of vicious-" -- the orc's words are cut off by a thrust of spear against his shield.

With no weaponry to defend themselves, the orcs try breaking through the lines back to their village through sheer might of the horse, but are ultimately surrounded. Witnessing their predicament, the watchorcs on the walls of the village let loose a volley of arrows, but these either don't reach their targets or deflect with audible clangs against the machines' hard outer frame.

The diplomats prefer not to resist and surrender. They will be dealt with later. For now, there is a war to finish. Volleys are exchanged, yours fiery...

Roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 29 (1d100)

>>5354491
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>5354491
>>
Rolled 63 (1d100)

>>5354491
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>5354499
>>5354511
>>5354541
>63 v 91 (with modifiers)

There is a spring flowing into a little river in the mountain valley where the orc village stands. They use it to great effect in extinguishing fires, but the sheer amount of javelins thrown and arrows fired means some of the flames spread and grow to great, unquenchable storms. Not only that, due to so many centres of ignition, the orcs' forces are spread thin, and they have no time to either respond with volleys of their own or notice that you set fire to the walls, which starts encircling them like an inescapable inferno. Eventually, they sally out to put an end to your tactic; it seems like except for morale damage, they suffered little true casualties. As they charge you with warcries and a lone shaman casts his magic in the backlines, the true battle begins...
>Write-in tactic?
>Just roll with the phalanx, beastmen at flanks, like previously

Either way, roll 1d100 Bo3
>>
Rolled 30 (1d100)

>>5354589
> send a couple of machines with a few beastmen to flank the shaman.
Otherwise, roll with it.
>>
Rolled 13 (1d100)

>>5354589
Send fast units like beastmen or human cavalry to flank the shaman.
Main force maintain formation and keep them busy
>>
>>5354589
We don't have any special machines to fit other roles at the moment. Some may sling javelings sure, but considering each machine is a killer robot...
>Just roll with the phalanx, beastmen at flanks, like previously
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>5354672
ah, duh
>>
>>5354589
>>Just roll with the phalanx, beastmen at flanks, like previously
>>
>>5354589
>>5354589
>>Just roll with the phalanx, beastmen at flanks, like previously
>>
>>5354589
>Roll with the phalanx. They see me rollin'. They hatin'.
>>
Rolled 38 (1d100)

>>5354631
>>5354648
>>5354672
>>5354673
>>5354681
>>5354686
>>5355063
>Send a squad of beastmen to take out the shaman
>Phalanx

You give a silent sign to the beastmen to sneak past the main orc force and take out the shaman. The leader of the beastmen calls out to his people, who stampede off on their mission, but not before throwing their axes to drag the orc shields down, aiding you in the imminent combat.

The orcs are enraged. Their spears stab into your shields with great force, their maces cave in parts of the machine frame, if they reach in spite of the Steel Minds' skill, that is. You note that the human archers are climbing a hill, a manoeuvre which purpose is made evident when they start shooting down the slope over the heads of the militia, picking off your adversaries here and there.

As the battle seems to turn in your favour, a sudden twist of fate throws a punch against your efforts. The earth shakes, and as if hands stabbing upwards, it binds the machines' and humans' feet in place. Must be the orc shaman's work. You glance in the direction where the elder orc stands just as you hear roaring warcries of the beastmen charging down his bodyguards in a savage attack. The banshee aids them, screaming shockwaves, deafening the orcs. The shaman is dealt with quickly, and your auxiliaries turn their attention towards the rear of enemy lines.

Still, even with your allies' outflanking, a lot of your forces remain bound in place. Your kin is well organized; they aid their own frontlines, shattering the earthen chains. Humans, on the other hand, suffer a lot from decreased mobility, the militia panicking and struggling chaotically. The archers stop their fire and come to the rescue of the frontlines, breaking apart the earth holding them down. They do not make it before a couple scores of humans are cut down by the orcs.

Once you break free of the shaman's curse, the rest is a tough battle, which nevertheless ends in your victory. You capture around 70 orcs, which surrender once it becomes clear they have lost. Before deciding what to do about them, you count the losses. 6 beastmen have been either struck down by lightning from the shaman's palm in his last effort to protect himself or felled by the other orcs' hands. 3 more machines have been damaged irreparably (for now).
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>5355607
You enter the settlement, extinguishing fires where they still burn, counting the survivors among the non-fighting populace. There's a few hundred children, women and old orcs here.

"Who is your chief?" -- you ask, but they don't seem to understand you.
You turn to Nudgan, the Iasenian-speaking orc. He sighs.
"I am."
An unexpected turn of events. Guess you cut off the snake's head before the battle had even begun.
"What resources do you possess?" -- you ask him.
"We herd some sheep. Also retaken some iron mines recently, though our hold on them is shaky. Gathering mountainous magic plants as well, but that's more on the border with the beastmen."

It is time to decide what to do about the captives and the village. The human captain demands half of the captives, which he intends to enslave. He has no claim to the the settlement itself.
>Reason with the humans that you should get all the captives due to organizing the raid in the first place. [roll]
>Accept this division.
>Write-in
>>
Rolled 23 (1d100)

>>5355608
>>Reason with the humans that you should get all the captives due to organizing the raid in the first place. [roll]
>>
>>5355608
>>Accept this division.
>>
>>5355608
>>Accept this division.
The whole raid was our task alone at the beginning and we then asked the humans for help. They deserve just payment, even if all they did was to get blows meant for us
>>
>>5355608
>Accept this division.
>>
>>5355644
>>5355654
>>5355661
>>5355662
>Accept this division.

With the captives split, the humans are ready to depart home, but there still remains the question of what to actually do with the orcs and their village.
>Enslave the able-bodied orcs, leave the village be, it's all useless women and children anyway
>Set them free, but force the village to pay tribute [of which resources?]
>Write-in
>>
>>5356817
Enslave them and gift the village for beastmen.

Or let the spirits decide?
>>
>>5356817
Let spirits decide
>>
>>5356820
>>5356972
Oh fuck, I love that option
>Let the spirits decide.
Maybe they want to slay them all... maybe not... Hey this means >Let QM decide but, come on.
If anything, let's force 'em to continue mining stuff and trade it for monster meat for them to eat. Good MEAT makes STRONK. I would also be inclined in butchering the beastmen and feeding them to the orcs because I think the second are better slaves, but that's me being Machine-brain
>>
>>5356817
>>5357167
>Let the spirits decide

We're doing this mostly for them anyway. Well, them and the iron.
>>
No update today, anons, and possibly no more updates in this thread at all due to irl reasons. I'll try setting things up where I'm going but no guarantees. Quest is not dead though, I'll eventually make a new thread, though it may take some time since I have other quests to run. check them out if you're interested: Living Armour Quest and Reincarnated Monster Reincarnation Quest, perhaps some new ones in the future too Feel free to archive when we hit page 10.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.