[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 138 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: qtg going insane.png (1.23 MB, 786x588)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>What is a quest?
An interactive story in which the QM (Quest Master, Quester Molester, Queer Masochist) writes and provides the readers with options on how to proceed. Dice may or may not be included due to on-site functionality.

Questionably Useful links:

>https://pastebin.com/Z78p8gXf
A collection of guides which may or may not still be active, but can be good for general writing advice to avoid common beginner's traps. Badly in need of renovation.

>Archive of quest reviews: http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive
Worth reading through, because the best way to figure out how a quest might go right or wrong is to see how it's been done before.

>Archiving guide:
Go to http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/requestqstinterface.html
Fill out the request form to archive a thread.
Threads are also automatically archived by other websites, such as archived.moe.

>QTG Discord:
For some reason https://discord.gg/bAnhvd83WV

>Formatting guide:
Only the thread's OP can format.
Remove the spaces between the [] brackets and the letters:
Bold: [ b ]text[ /b ]
Italics: [ i ]text[ /i ]
Red: [ red ]text[ /red ]
Blue: [ blue ]text[ /blue ]
Green: [ green ]text[ /green ]

>QM Question:
How do you typically handle write-in options, specifically ones where dialogue or action were specified in the vote?

>Player Question
What's a hot take you have for a quest you like?

>General Question
What makes you drop a quest?

>Misc. Question
Got any summer plans?

>Lurker Question
There is no question. Vote.
>>
>>5272730

Previous thread as well.
>>
2nd for /qst/ best board
>>
File: img.jpg (224 KB, 1254x1270)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>5310121
I quite like getting a good write-in from time-to-time since it keeps me on my QM toes. Spices up a quest, in my opinion.

>>Player Question
[Insert character here] is running on borrowed time.

>>General Question
It's gotta be a piss-poor quest in-and-of itself for me to drop it right off-the-bat. Most quests I stay with are already several threads off the ground, so I don't bother with the ones I know are doomed do die.

>>Misc. Question
Lost any hope of ever getting a driver's license. I will have no tales of summers of yore, just tales of fish women punching stuff.
>>
>THREE /qtg/ thrwads on the board now

But why?
>>
>>5310145
Probably 'cause the OP of the last one fucked up.
>>
File: Capture.png (113 KB, 582x268)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>QM Question:
Incorporate dialogue directly into update if not too cringe.

>General Question
Too much arguing.

>Misc. Question
Secondaries or the rope by August, possibly both.
>>
>>5310121
>How do you typically handle write-in options, specifically ones where dialogue or action were specified in the vote?
Quote it, or slightly modify it or rephrase it if needed. Sometimes, I incorporate elements from two proposed pieces of dialogue in the vote.

>What's a hot take you have for a quest you like?
I don't know that I have any. Most takes I've had about quests I like have been voiced by others to some extent.

>What makes you drop a quest?
Weak writing will do it pretty quick, or a weird-enough update schedule, but the BIGGEST one is disregarding votes (or write-ins) Which seem to have good potential. Once or twice is fine, but if it becomes a regular thing where is appears the QM is just writing their serialized fiction and not even really taking input, I check out.

>Got any summer plans?
Nah. Work is real busy through the summer. I hope someone throws a bonfire, and I'll see my family in July.
>>
File: stanbeach.png (543 KB, 800x600)
543 KB
543 KB PNG
>>5310121

>QM Question
I usually provide the players with 3-4 prompts based on the vote, but always include a write-in option at the end for the more creative types. In my experience just writing 'what do?' at the end of a post has mixed results, especially if the quest is particularly text-heavy and hasn't built-up some dedicated readers yet.

As for the write-ins themselves, it kinda depends! If someone has a specific thing they'd like to say and enough people vote for it, we usually go with that! Otherwise I sometimes like to combine a few together by taking the important bits of multiple write-ins.

>Player Question
We're gonna get betrayed. Again.

>General Question
Boredom on my part, usually. I try to hold on because there are loads of quests with dull threads (mine DEFINITELY included), but sometimes things just veer off from the original goal and never come back. I also tend to drop when QMs are dicks, but they usually drop the quests themselves so it kinda works out.

>Misc. Question
Summer School's fully-manned this Summer, so I'm just catching up on life stuff until work starts again in a few months. Probably going to the gym more, too. AndBONES QUEST! LOTS OF BONES QUEST!

Speaking of, it's a new /qtg/ so you know what that means: blatant shilling! If you like any of the following, then this quest might be for you:
>SKELETONS
>GOTHS
>WACKY HIJINKS
>THE LOST CITY OF ATLANTIS, KINDA
>DEMONS
>MERMAIDS
>A DUMB, BUT ENDEARING PROTAGONIST
>RACCOONS
>MAGIC
>SUPED-UP VANS
>RULES-LIGHT AND CREATIVE GAMEPLAY
>AND MUCH, MUCH, MORE!

Wanna catch up? Check out the archive link in the thread's OP POST!
>>5300670
>>5300670
>>5300670

And since this one's Summer Themed... pic somewhat related!
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 305x165)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>5310121
>QM Question: How do you typically handle write-in options, specifically ones where dialogue or action were specified in the vote?

I always try to incorporate any write-in options voted for by players as much as possible without writing anything that would be out of character for the MC to do.

Usually, it's a mix of a chosen prompt augmented by an anon's write-in. Those are the most interesting to write, in my opinion. Other times, a pure write-in can really help you see your quest with a fresh perspective.

I remember some of the write-ins for Kenshi Monogatari Quest were really creative and changed much of the progression of the story (mostly for the better).

>Player Question: What's a hot take you have for a quest you like?
The names for characters and places are really weird and uncanny. I'd be happy to help out, though.

>General Question: What makes you drop a quest?
Thread 1 being 300 posts of character creation, simple boredom, and unusual prose.

>Misc. Question: Got any summer plans?
Just started a new quest.
>>
File: JSQ.png (125 KB, 731x1055)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>5310185
As for this new quest... If you like The King's Avatar (全职高手), Xianxia, and Wuxia, then Jade-Sworn Quest might be something you're interested in!

Read it here:
>>5306089
>>5306089
>>5306089
>>
>>5310185
What quest are you referring to?
>>
>>5310298
This one >>5310200
>>
>>5310299
I meant the hot take, lol.
>>
File: 1.png (293 KB, 600x1560)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
To the anons that read Gnoll Quest: sorry for the bad news, but I'm going to extend the hiatus as I want to keep working on the videogame. When I finally get a demo out I'll make the 10th thread (opening with a new youtube video), but it may take a few months until then. In any case I'll keep you posted with monthly tweets. See you all eventually.

PS: Drawing tablets are awesome. goodbye mouse
>>
>>5310303
Shame to hear it, but at least it's for a good cause, man! Keep up the good work--eager to see a semi-finished product!
>>
>>
>>5310301
My bad. I'm referring to Heretic Cultivator. I followed it to thread 2; Really liked it but had to drop it after that due to real life stuff taking up my quest reading time.

I went to skim through the most recent thread and found a lot of the Chinese names weird.

For example, Palace of Natural Laws (宫殿的野生彝宪). Firstly, from a grammatical standpoint, it should be 野生彝宪的宫殿 because adjectives always come before nouns when using 的. Secondly, 野生彝宪 is not how you'd say Natural Laws. 彝宪 does mean laws / regulations, but in the everyday / political sense. 野生 means wild/feral/uncultivated, not natural. A more "correct" name would be 天法的宫殿, however, in names, we usually use 之 instead of 的 or drop the particle altogether, so it'd be 天法之宫殿 or just simply 天法宫殿.

It's not a big issue and doesn't really affect the quality of the story for the average reader. And I understand that Chinese is probably not the QM's first language, but just feels a tad strange to me.
>>
File: unknown.png (1.2 MB, 1380x1600)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>5310312
Figured it was me, lol. Sorry for making such a mess out of and butchering the language.

Makes sense it looks really weird, cause I actually don't know chinese at all , Been meaning to learn it, but presently what I'm doing is basically what Delinquents, weebs or Chuunis do and grab foreign words that sound cool and and try to fir them together to attempt to make them sound like they mean something. Gonna be completely honest, I've just been using Yellowbridge, since my knowledge of the language is 0, despite me being a cultivation junkie and avid consumer of expensive chinese teas.

I do really appreciate you explaining what I am doing wrong, especially on the grammar side since I knew I was totally wrong but had no idea how I was exactly. So that is enlightening and is going to REALLY help me out in the future!

Though, despite being pretty much entirely ignorant of the language, I do know that 野生 doesn't mean natural. It's just that Huanliuxue really doesn't like the heavens or the gods in them for in her eyes denying her her birthright by persecuting magical beasts, so I purposefully avoided using the character 天 for anything she names, as she is a proud and petty child. I just figured Wild was close enough to natural to kinda work.

Thank you for the lesson. I knew I was doing it wrong, but now I kind of understand WHAT I was doing wrong which will hopefully help me improve. Or, at least push me to start learning Chinese.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it, I really do enjoy your quests. Excited to see where the new one goes. You going the extra mile to write actual sentences in Chinese, amazed me. I thought it was awesome and a really nice touch.

Especially since its something I simply cannot do. So it impresses me even more! Like I cannot describe how cool hovering over the spoilers and see full ass sentences in Mandarin was to me. I got hype, even though I couldn't read them, lol
>>
>>5310330

Don't worry about it. I really appreciate the extra effort you do to even include Chinese in a Xianxia quest. That's some insane dedication for someone who doesn't speak the language.

As for dictionaries, I highly recommend Pleco. It has pretty much anything you'd need and helps classifies words into adjectives, nouns, verbs, etc. For some reason, not all dictionaries do this.

And even though Mandarin Chinese is my first language, I'm not a very good at it (I'm not from Taiwan or the mainland). Slowly working on it day by day, haha, so I understand how hard it can be to learn.

Glad to hear you're enjoying JSQ as well! Looking forward to catching up to Heretic Cultivator as well.
>>
>>5310343
Well that's a weight off my chest. I do it because it makes it feel more authentic and I think that makes the extra time/ effort spent on doing it. That and because I've read too many web novels where they don't even try to use Chinese names outside of cultivation things like Dantians. Nothing takes me out of a story faster than hearing how Greg will challenge the heavens, or Steven is practicing demonic cultivation. It just doesn't feel right!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out. I assume it'll be obvious when/ if I start learning proper Chinese, lol.

And yeah I really enjoy JSQ and can't wait to see where it'll go. It might've just started, but I enjoy the world building and authenticity to the MMORPG setting. Since it actually feels like its, you know, a video game. Which is just incredible.

and I really liked records of honor . Have been meaning to sit down and read all of Kenshi Monogatari one of these days.

And I'm really glad you liked Heretic cultivator, I hope the rest of its threads live up to the expectations set by the first two threads
>>
>qm
I kinda only like the write in votes, the clued votes always tend to be the bad ending, but I think maybe that isn't the best way to run
>player
I'm over the moon that westren questren is still running, though I have a year of catching up on old posts. I wish sometimes you could get a last time on post rather then just the archive link. I used to plan on making YouTube videos just running over what happened on one's I want to play, but really I want someone else to do that for me kek
>gen
Life 100%. Things get busy and I can't keep up
>>
>>5310121
>Qm question
Well if i had write-ins win id get creative with what they give even when heavily specific.
>player question
Kobold Klan adoption- to all the kobold and Anna enthusiasts there, ya MFs horny for midgets.
>General question
Wierd gut feelings while reading or me reading the op post and seeing it lied to me (ie. "Quest name is of show i like but in thread it says heavy AU")...
>Misc.
Work until my contract finishes and then get another job
>>
>>5310121
>>General Question
>What makes you drop a quest?

Forgotten not running it

>Player Question
>What's a hot take you have for a quest you like?

Hot take, where is Sworn to Valour you lawyer fuck? (please)

>Misc. Question
>Got any summer plans?
Reading Sworn to Valour because it aint summer for a good 6 months

>Lurker Question
>There is no question. Vote.
Can't. No quest.
>>
>>5310311
This hasn't been my experience of the /qtg/ threads these last few months, which DO seem to have several QMs and routine quest-readers present and discussing (amongst all the vampire sorcery and other such shenanigans) quest events and ideas.
>>
>le quirky /qtg/ with discord link and lurker question
>>
>>5310470
Pretty much every /qtg/ has the Discord link, though I'm not certain how many people actually use it.
>>
>>5310145
Probably some shitter at this point. Watch 'em make another.
>>
>>5310480
I have changed the link to a tranny discord before and no one noticed for three months. So no one does pretty much. But we shouldn't link it anyway.
>>
>>5310121
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the reason why this thread or group must exist. The fundamental goal of this thread is to discuss about how to get better at writing right?
And to help other new QMs who might be interested in running their own show, correct?
And last but not least, to discuss about current and new quests, yes?

If that's what I've been seeing for the past few threads, then I, as a simple and normal man, would love to have a discussion thread like this...
But, the more the that this keeps running, the more I keep thinking...
"Why share knowledge about YOUR successful techniques if newfags are going to take it? You're not getting anything in return anyway. What about competition?"
"Why have a discussion thread where we can bitch about how much this QM sucks or how awesome they are? We can bully them to go our way if we do this and maybe sockpuppet votes for the lols."
"Hey, I'm just giving you feedback. No need to take it personally"
"You should do X...Cuz that's how others do"
Pointless, pointless, pointless.

I would say the only thing that this thread is useful for is advertising. It's clear that a lot of anons attend this thread and it can be an easy grab for more attendants. But otherwise, this thread is useless. If one person knows about this technique, then that means EVERYONE knows it too. And when you know the technique, it entirely depends on your creativity to execute a successful quest. And guess what? If one day a newfag rises up that might start a similar quest to yours...And they seem to be growing in popularity...You've got a challenger.

Moreover, this thread's popularity gives voters power to control which quests succeeds and which quest doesn't...Because this thread exists for such discussion. When there's drama on one quest or a particular flaw that they have, we can always go here to discuss about it. Again, how does this help a QM? I can't see improvement as a good answer because then that means the quest is not properly finished. Now, granted, if a QM makes a problem, then they should state so on their own quest. But don't drag it here that could potentially dissuade newfags of this board from joining your quest.
>>
>>5310121
>Player Question
OP is not a faggot.
>General Question
Waifufaggotry or 2-3 players being so stupid they might be actual retards.
>Misc. Question
Rope, maybe. We'll see.
>>
>>5310466
READ KNIGGA! >>5301181 READ!
>>
>>5310502
But anon, I can't read (but yeah I missed the last qtg so cheers)
>>
>>5310121
>Player Question
In sworn to Valor the Kingsmen still have merit as a faction, you could probably mount an argument that the heresy they are engaged in is them simply countering the probable monopoly the church has on the superpower reliquary that apparently exists and that the leaders are the secular route opposing a fanatical theocracy.

also if you aren't Emille you could say church doctrine is a lie and the heads are power hungry liars proping up the institution for their own ends

>General Question
Naked thirsting for smut and players really REALLY pushing their personal shit into a game be it a fetish or a take that is stupid bad.
>>
>>5310488
More good quests means more runners means more people on your quest.
>>
Gonna mention a newer quest slowly building up a character in the GURPS system over in Fiction.live since the QM’s previous, first attempt went alright enough IMO.

Evil Finds a Way
>>
>>5310121
>How do you typically handle write-in options, specifically ones where dialogue or action were specified in the vote?
I take it if it's in-character or a decent character development, and tell them why it's not an option if it's not.
>>5310520
If we're allowed to advertise fiction.live quests here, I'd like to put forward Fate/Alternative, which goes live in 5 hours.
> You fight to restore order after a Holy Grail War is started underneath the Clock Tower's nose, accompanied by the idealistic but sometimes hesitant or conflicted Phillipe, your Rider-class Servant and imprisoned body double of the Sun King.
That should give interested parties time to catch up.
>>
>>5310551
>Fate
How big is the harem over there?
>>
>>5310560
I mean, getting someone to bang her isn't Elizabeth's top priority as of yet, and both of the Aramis are fucking dead, so Rider, if you really squint.
>>
>>5310488
>I'm sorry, but I fail to see the reason why this thread or group must exist. The fundamental goal of this thread is
>TLDR
No.
There's no "must exist," there's "the site owner allows one meta discussion thread per board." The most efficient way to stuff all meta discussion into one thread is to have a recurring general. /qst/ is an exile containment board so there's plenty of times people get away with more than one meta thread here, but it's generally not encouraged.
>>
>>5310488
>"Why share knowledge about YOUR successful techniques if newfags are going to take it? You're not getting anything in return anyway. What about competition?"
What kind of ass-backwards attitude is this? QMing isn't a zero-sum game. If there was 1 good quest and 119 terrible quests on the board, it's not like the good quest would get 200 voters-- it would get 0, because everybody would leave, because the board sucks. It benefits everybody to help newbies, on top of it just being the good and decent thing to do.
>>
>>5310513
Incorrect. More good quests eventually will marginalize other long-running and popular quests. Especially if they fall within the same category.
>>5310669
I believe you do not understand what I'm arguing. The bottom line is:
>/qtg/ is a potential threat to good writers, and it could drown out other good quests due to competition, general criticism (true and false), and advice that anyone can make up.
Therefore, the "must exist" should be questioned.
>>5310724
What kind of atavistic response is this? If people come here to learn how to be a good storyteller/writer, then you're creating competition. This competition can hurt QMs. This is a problem because, as I stated above, other good quests will eventually be flushed out. Not to mention the criticism that any anon can start here, and potentially ruin a QM.

Nothing is said about a zero-sum game. It is simply the potential merits of removing /qtg/ off this board that could help existing QMs thrive better and continue pushing their content on the top of this board rather than worrying about some dipshit fucking them over or what other anons have to say here.
>>
>>5310738
Well dude, I'm glad you bust from your mothers womb ready to run jojo quests for 230 threads. Evenwithout ever having to learn from others or read any advice as the power of + ¬ imagine dragons ¬+ let's you never fail a captcha as long as you have type out your bad takes.
>>
>>5310738
>This competition can hurt QMs. This is a problem because, as I stated above, other good quests will eventually be flushed out. Not to mention the criticism that any anon can start here, and potentially ruin a QM.

I really like this bait, because it presumes that voters are a resource that QMs must fight over and monopolize. Most users keep up with multiple quests, and even a quest of minimal effort can still attract enough voters to justify existing. You also vastly overestimate the amount of influence that the meta thread holds over the rest of the board. On the contrary, drama and discussion usually originates from a quest and spills into the general, not the other way around. At most, bringing up a specific quest here will prompt a few curious anons to hop threads just to see what's happening.
>>
Ahem, so my initial Scout quest has somehow turned into Not!norse Oregon trail-esque quest where you can make a party of three to brave what lies ahead in what could be the end of the world.

I wrote down nine characters to choose from with a small overview of their capabilities and what not. We would choose three of them then another three for our second party incase the first one had died too soon. I would appreciate it if you took a quick look at the current roster.

https://pastebin.com/bVdXbqD8

Too many choices might be intimidating especially for a one shot but meh. I actually wanted to write down three more choices bumping the total number to twelve I am thinking along the lines of a giant, a druid/shaman . If you got any suggestions that will fit the theme, let me know.
>>
>>5310738
>look at this dude hating competition
You are cowardly and meek, and your arguments are typical of one who is of subpar brilliance. Do you not realize that monopolies are unhealthy? The monopoly stagnates because it does not have competition harrying it, and lowers the overall quality of the board.
Fool that you are, you do not realize that more competition means more drive to better one's own quest-writing, and sharing those tips will lead to a renaissance of questdom.

Consider also the reputation of the collective board. Your proposal would lead to a few good quests and a horde of bad ones, which would lead to few people going to /qst/ because 'it's mostly bad quests, so it means it's bad' rationale. But, if you raise the collective quality of writing, people will come because there's consistently good quests, and not just the few saturated ones. Get it? It's like Detroit vs New York.
>>
>>5310738
I came to /qst/ to read/play good quests, and even now I spend more time reading than writing most days. It helps keep me engaged and creative. The qualitu of my quest-writing (and my intersst in doing so) would probably decrease if there were fewers good quests, and less opportunity to interact with one another.
>>
>>5310920
Pretty cool. Here are three for you to consider

Boy
? An unknown youth that takes a unique appearance of a non-threatening male to each person who gazes on him.
+ Grows stronger the closer he is to the heart
+ Less vulnerable to corruption the closer he is to the heart
- Grows older the closer he is to the heart
- Extremely fragile starting off

Girl
? An unknown youth that takes a unique appearance of a non-threatening female to each person who gazes on her.
+ Has a weapon best situated for every encounter
+ Incorruptible
- Grows weaker the closer she is to the heart
- Becomes younger the closer she is to the heart

Galar
+ Dwarf chanter/banner holder, able to rally allies, provide a constant heal, demoralize foes, and give damage to spiritual enemies.
+ Constant protection against corruption
- Should banner break, corruption protection ends
- Should he lose his voice, will no longer strengthen allies, heal, demoralize foes, nor damage spiritual enemies
- - - Should he lose his voice and his banner, he will embrace the arms of oblivion
>>
>>5310920
A druid or wildman seems appropriate. I like your selection!

>>5311048
I also enjoy Galar.
>>
>>5310121
I've been out of /qst/ for like 2 years. What are quest that got popular at that time?
>>
>>5311056
Why not check out suptg and see for yourself what had been running a while and/or getting a ton of attention and votes?
>>
>>5310767
Here's your (You)
>>5310840
>>5311031
>I really like this bait
>You are cowardly and meek, and your arguments are typical of one who is of subpar brilliance.
It's unfortunate that you must resort to ad hominem tactics and deride my argument. There's no point as I could reciprocate if I wanted. But, I suppose it is up to me to enlighten your cultist and myopic views...At least try.

>You also vastly overestimate the amount of influence that the meta thread holds over the rest of the board. On the contrary, drama and discussion usually originates from a quest and spills into the general, not the other way around. At most, bringing up a specific quest here will prompt a few curious anons to hop threads just to see what's happening.
That's exactly the problem. It may or may not have the intended effect of intriguing other anons to the other thread. I could easily sockpuppet and buff some of these lousy quests here and get lots of people here. True, it is a good way for advertising, but it isn't helpful if someone were to go on a criticism spree to the point where they misuse sockpuppeting to their advantage. And when drama goes here...That would worry me as a QM because you're trying to tarnish that QM's reputation.

Here's a concrete example:
>>5311056
>I've been out of /qst/ for like 2 years. What are quest that got popular at that time?
I could go on my mobile device right now and give opinions that may sound true, but is actually false.

>Your proposal would lead to a few good quests and a horde of bad ones, which would lead to few people going to /qst/ because 'it's mostly bad quests, so it means it's bad' rationale. But, if you raise the collective quality of writing, people will come because there's consistently good quests, and not just the few saturated ones.
Prove it then. Let's delete these threads and see what happens. I'm not taking projection as an answer.

>Do you not realize that monopolies are unhealthy? The monopoly stagnates because it does not have competition harrying it, and lowers the overall quality of the board.
Monopolies allow the QM to have full control over their quest. I mean, FULL CONTROL. You won't hear any badmouthing anywhere else nor the incentive of creating a better quest to a bad one.

>you do not realize that more competition means more drive to better one's own quest-writing, and sharing those tips will lead to a renaissance of questdom.
I believe competition should be controlled as a way to prevent other QMs from knowing your techniques, your weaknesses, and your estimation of skills. The quieter this place is the better. Selflessly sharing what you do best or what others are doing is WRONG. That's like giving away business trade secrets that no one should know about.
>>
>>5311123
>I could go on my mobile device right now and give opinions that may sound true, but is actually false.
And then someone would call you a retard? Is this supposed to prove something?
>>
>>5311129
The issue at hand is sockpuppeting. It could be useful for QM's if they prop up their quest, but it could also be useful for haters for denigrating other quests. By removing /qtg/ or any general /qst/ thread, the benefit and problem is gone.
>>
>>5310303
>gnoll quest delayed again
>>
>>5311055
Thank you anon
>>5311048
I will mull it over. I must say that I like the idea of getting stronger the closer we are to the heart. Terrible early game but has the potential to snowball if we play our cards right. Incidentally, which party composition would go for?
>>
>>5310121
>QM question
accommodate as much as possible but alter it if it seems natural. I've always been horny for write-ins, even if I'm not sure how I'd handle them if I got an annoying one honestly. It just really tickles me that someone would put a lot of thought into a vote, sometimes.

>player question
Quests should put more effort into making things flow easier for late-comers. Maybe not such a problem in /qst/, but it's annoying trying to catch up by just reading updates, and you have no clue what votes won. Please put a summary of votes or something. Maybe it'll snag more voters once the quest if the quest is less intimidating that way?

>general question
Fucking psychopath take: Sometimes if a quest is really short/just started I'll just sigh and wait for it to get longer before committing. This is highly counterproductive but I do it anyway.

>misc question
eat shit probably. wish I was still in school. How do you people manage to write quests while having jobs? I keep scribbling down ideas or quest starts but I never have time to commit.
>>
>>5311056
Fate: Paradox Reincarnator was the most popular quest of the past years.
>>
>tfw make a quest a year ago with one successful thread and completely shit the bed beginning of thread 2 and abandoned the entire thing
I wonder if I should outright reuse the premise or retool it for a new quest. Doubt anyone’s around to remember the first thread.
>>
>>5311283
As long as you change the names and tweek it a bit, you can probably get away with reusing the premise without anyone noticing.
>>
>>5311123
So you are not only averse to competition, but also criticism? No wonder you do not improve as a person, if not a writer. See, criticism may be scathing, but there's a grain of truth in each (well, except the ones with minimal info, like 'this quest is bad' sort of shit, but they can be safely disregarded and reasoned against). To ignore, even going as far to dissuade criticism, would stagnate your own growth as you see nothing wrong by your own. And to dissuade criticism would create so-called 'tumblr safe spaces' where ideas fester and rot instead of flourish.

Also, keep in mind that QMing is more of an art instead of a science, or a business for that matter. Knowing certain ways to write better doesn't automatically mean that my next quest would be a good one. It's all in the execution. It doesn't matter if another QM takes what writing tips I give and makes an excellent quest - in fact, I would be happy that they're also contributing to the overall growth of quality quests.

And if you keep thinking of quests as some sort of business, let me ask you this: why is it, despite the recipe of KFC chicken being known online for years now, KFC is still widely known as, and profiting, as a fried chicken restaurant? Yes, there's plenty of fried chicken places that took their recipe and made it tastier, but none are as big as KFC. Think about it for a second.

Besides, quests aren't profitable anyways. We do this because:
1) we love making stories up
2) we love the interactivity
3) we love the community

Now go and make your own quest - go use your own 'secret recipe', sockpuppet all you want - but I bet that you will not be good at it. You are weak in your averseness to competition and criticism, and thus you will lack creativity and drive, not to mention blind to your own faults.

Prove yon mettle in this arena of creative, collaborative storytelling, or begone, return to your hugbox to cry about it.
>>
I COULD use some advice. I feel my Great Papa vr 2.0 isn't getting as much interaction as my first run.
>>5306722

What can I do to make it more enjoyable?
>>
Coming up for shilling my thread
>>5310562
>>5310562
>>5310562

Launching a story based on a few quest I like : "the little dungeon that could" for the base building mechanics, the thread about playing a dragon hatchling last winter, and Dragonborn Antipaladin for mechanics.
I'm quite a newfag QM, so I'll do my best but I don't think the writing will be up to the level of the stuff I like. Anyway, I'll try my best, so feel free to come in
>>
>>5310466
I’m with ya anon

That lazy bastard Forgotten

YA HEAR ME CUNT!

On different topic, is the Space Monke QM projecting his love of authoritarianism..
>>
File: PotPot.png (134 KB, 700x800)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
Oh yeah i should do advertizing bs
>>5288520
>>5288520

First person perspective quest of a powerfull ancient dark lord returning to the world after being banished for an uncounted ammount of time. Written by an incompetent slav using google docs for proof reading.
If i get free time ill be drawing chars like pic related
>>
I miss Souvarine. At least his schizo rants were entertaining and he doesn't go about posting bait.
>>
Do we have an expected time for the return of fiction.live?
>>
>>5295736
This is my quest, anyone have any advice for me? I feel like it had a weak start, which I think could be a couple reasons.
1. OP image isn’t eye-catching
2. Initial updates were once a day
3. First portion had no characters, which tend to be what gets people invested
Is it these reasons, or do I just need to work on my writing? Also, is there any chance it’ll pick up? I have two players right now.
>>
>>5311418
I honestly don't have enough experience to give you good answers to this, but persistence tends to pay off. I ran a quest a while back which ran for a while and I had a small but fairly consistent band of players at that time.
>>
>>5311311
I was going to say something to the person who seemed to need this thread more than he will ever realize given his takes are as bad as being captured by sadistic cannibals, but you probably put it far better than I could.

>>5310121
Ironically I never knew this meta board existed because I'm blind apparently.

>QM Question
I usually use them more or less as they are written. Occasionally I'll slightly adapt them to work into a sentence but usually I keep them as is, sometimes I'll probably use it as a spring board for more dialog from the PC but really it's kind of a case by case basis.

>Player Question
You'll not believe this but. Actual fucking mechanics more than just 'whoever yells loudest on the discord wins'

>General Question
It dying. Like basically every quest I like has...That or me just getting caught up with other things in my life and eventually forgetting about it.

>Misc question
Not particularly I guess.
>>
File: 1584525082523.jpg (998 KB, 2600x2061)
998 KB
998 KB JPG
>>5311418
The story hook is a bit emaciated. For one, the only information that readers are given on the protagonist is their name and profession. Having a certain personal goal or motivation is critical for a quest, as it provides some direction for voters in the beginning when they're still unfamiliar with the world. Even something as straightforward as "you want the tome to cure a sick family member" or "you are a megalomaniac that wants the tome's power" helps dictate those important early choices. The macguffin, the Tome of Rok'shaman, is also a big question mark. Why do we want some musty old book, except perhaps its academic value? Is this a fun scholarly exercise, or is the protagonist willing to die trying to get the thing? Establishing things like these is important to drawing anons in.

Reading a few updates, I am of the opinion that you just need to keep writing. The experience will improve your prose with time. A post clearly detailing all of the uses and limits of alchemy will also help. More worldbuilding would also be welcome.
>>
>>5311432
>>5311484
I see, thanks guys. I was trying to avoid giving an exposition dump but seeing as I wasn’t able to convey worldbuilding well in the story, I might have to.
>>
>>5311418

I really liked your image myself.

I really like your mechanics, but there's definitely a lack of urgency to the narrative.
>>
File: Medusa.jpg (248 KB, 1024x982)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
Obligatory shilling for my quest:
>>5295239

It's in autosage at the moment, but I'm prepared to run until the wheels fall off. For those not familiar, it's this blend of cute slice of life for a young medusa growing up on the fringe of human society and her mother's more intrigue and action oriented adventures trying to make sure that her daughter can live a good life.

For those who are familiar, any notes or suggestions are welcome.
>>
I've never made a quest before but I am considering trying to run a multiplayer quest. What would be a good maximum player number?
>>
>>5311695
>>
>>5311695
I personally don't have much experience running a multiplayer quest, but having played in one or two I can say that you might wanna limit it to 3 or 4 players at the most just so that the narrative doesn't get too hard to keep track of. Knowing the usual players, you probably won't have everyone working in tandem in the same room all the time, so for your own sanity, especially if you've never run a quest before, I'd recommend keeping it small.

That said, I've seen some skirmishes that have managed a bunch of people before--I guess it really just depends on what the quest's focus is. Can you give us any more details on what it'd be like?

>>5311418
I'll echo what >>5311432 said--/qst/ is a slow board and the majority of dedicated readers are like battered housewives who are afraid of getting engaged for fear of the QM flaking or something. Having had rising and falling players since Thread 1, all I can say is that being consistent is key--you never know when you'll get more participants, but you won't get any more if you give up early, right?

>>5311283
Is the quest archived? If you didn't get that far then you might as well reuse it.
>>
>>5311744
It would be inspired by the Beings of Creation quests. Powerful players creating and fighting over land in a otherwise empty void
>>
>>5311744
The thing with skirms is that they seem to be short, planned in advance to some degree and - being all crunch and with everyone acting independently - can keep going if a few players drop out of contact along the way. Narrative multiplayer quests lack at least two of these mitigating factors, but it can be done.
>>
>>5311781
Iirc narrative multiplayer could be done in the 'tribes' format - aka dividing your reader-base in simultaneously controlling different factions. An example would be notapaladin's Skeleton Island and Knights Quest.
>>
>>5311744
It was archived yeah. In fact someone else archived the 2nd thread and immortalized my shame.
I refuse to elaborate further out of embarrassment.
>>
>>5311283
>>5311898
You wouldn't happen to be the QM of 40k AI quest, would you?
>>
>>5311908
I'll shoot you down right now and say no, because I read that one too.
>>
>>5311140
>The issue at hand is sockpuppeting.
So people samefag in quests but removing the general fixes this?
>>5311123
>prevent other QMs from knowing your techniques, your weaknesses, and your estimation of skills
This sounds like Shounen writing.
>That's like giving away business trade secrets that no one should know about.
Stephen King has a book on how to write. How many have read it and achieved the same fame and fortune as him?
>>
Hm. I don't know how long maintenance is going to last, but if it's anything like I expect, I'll have to start running here. I'd rather not split my focus, especially because the last time we closed out was on a poll, but I might have to, to keep the game alive.
To do that, I'm going to have to perform a quick recap post, or perhaps begin from someone else's perspective and move back under the MC's point of view. The alternative is, well, restarting the quest outright, which might work, but I would probably move to another MC to keep things consistent for those who played in the past.
>>
>>5311914
Then are you...
>Warhammer 40k - Alien Occupation
>Border Princes Quest
>PANOPTICON QUEST
>Your Wife Is A Supervillain
>Born Irrelevant
>Ex-Fighter Chimera Quest
>Astraplex Quest
>Zerak Rise Quest
>Witches' Mark
>Solar Era Mecha Quest
>Fallen Stars
...the QM of any of these quests?
>>
>>5311916
The book is decent too, better writers than him have recommended it in the past. The tools of writing on their own, the dozens of them, are woefully insufficient to creating a good writer, a popular writer, or a profitable writer. Anybody can learn any of the popular writing formulas and create a work using them, and anybody in this thread with a credit card can self publish an e-book, but deeper understanding and presentation aren't provided by tools or desire alone.

In my opinion, good QMs are created by a desire to share and experience an idea, the ability to act with consistency and a half-wits worth of work ethic for goals over a long period of time, a multidirectional understanding of reward and consequence. While able to communicate characters that are engaging which requires knowing how to engage other people with their own cool thing. And an inability to drop unhealthy hobbies until they have been consumed and destroyed by them for the forlorn sake of their own consistency until they're withered husks looking back on their extensive efforts while unable to type even a single word as they're crushed by expectation into the cold entropic darkness of quest memory.

In my opinion. It's not a checklist. I just play and notice whether these things are present.
>>
>>5311123
Srop projecting your own insecurities onto the board as a whole. I'm glad you aren't running a quest.
>>
>>5311937
You got me, I am, in fact, the QM for all of those quests. Curses, I’ve been found.
But in all seriousness my quest is on there, but again, I’m too ashamed to own up to which one it is. Not like I could really prove it’s me, I didn’t use a trip when running
>>
>>5311182
For A team, I would go: Wvalduur, Miesralf, and Seinri
Alt: Lokkalf , Gundirr , and Cojyorn

For B team, I would go: Yuldu, ???, and Cojyorn
Alt: Yuldu, ???, and Miesralf
>>
>>5311959
I said "any" not "all" so your joke doesn't make sense
Anyway, so it's one of these
>Warhammer 40k - Alien Occupation
>Your Wife Is A Supervillain
>Zerak Rise
>Born Irrelevant
>Astraplex Quest
>Fallen Stars
and if your interest in 40k is of any relevance then it's probably either Alien Occupation or Fallen Stars

Though honestly, the only person who really gives a shit about your dead quest right now is you so I don't get why you would feel embarassed to say what quest you ran when no one else cares about it. I could understand regret or guilt but shame? Doesn't make sense to me.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (145 KB, 768x918)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>5311959
On second thought, It’s not gonna get any easier ignoring it either. I did Born Irrelevant. I don’t recall ever sharing this in full so consider it proof.
>>
>>5311937
>tfw on this list
My Hard Drive with all my notes on it dying, combined with general life issues, killed my ability to return at a level I felt was needed.
>>
File: kek.jpg (118 KB, 584x622)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>5311980
Im trying to find out which one is yours and I keep finding more and more amusing things, all in the same vein, such as:

>QM of Your Wife Is A Supervillain saying he'll finish his quest "no matter what" then announcing that the quest is cancelled in the very next (and last) post.
>QM of PANOPTICON quest saying he's sick but he'll post an update unless he dies then never posts again.
>QM of Astaplex Quest saying he'll make an update next week, never posts again.
>QM of Witches' Mark saying he'll make an update next week and, you guessed it, never posts again.
>>
Speaking of preventing quests from dying...
>>5312017
Mostly as a backup, but if it gets steam I might run Alternative... Alter.
>>
>>5312021
>Another Fate Quest
AHAHAHAHA
I wish you luck, buddy. You're gonna need it.
>>
>>5312021
why would you summon him

WHY WOULD YOU SUMMON HIM
>>
>>5312035
>You're gonna need it.
I know.
>>5312038
Summon who?
>>
>>5312041
it begins
>>
File: I know.jpg (52 KB, 1024x576)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>5312044
>>
>>5312046
the line betwixt bravery and foolishness is straddled often by the genius and the mad
>>
>>5312005
Solar Era
>>
File: 1649736984704.png (32 KB, 215x205)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>Anonkun still isn't back yet
>>
>>5312062
Good.
>>
>>5312062
Good.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (203 KB, 893x683)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>Eats your data
>Makes you spend less time on 4chan
Well at least work is happy I'm having less "bathroom breaks."
>>
>>5311406
Kas said 'a day' but take his words with a grain of salt, the guy is supremely slow.
>>
>>5312005
Didn't the PANOPTICON guy come back for a bit, get in a shit fight with the Craigslistkiller guy, and then go to prison for unrelated felony DUI reasons?
>>
>>5312412
Actually yes he did. He made another quest, that being "Occupation Quest" and said that he was going to prison for DUI on the QTG then got into a fight with the schizo QM later.
>>
>>5312418
>Gets into a fight with a schizo before leaving to fucking prison

Godspeed, you ridiculous moron. I thought Sofia was a pretty cool Femdom waifu.
>>
File: 1654842688598.png (2.46 MB, 1536x1295)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB PNG
Rolled 2 (1d20)

Rolling to advertise Barovian Legends #3: Fortunes of Ravenloft

Help Aranuel, an amateur swordsman cleric girl who worships a fire deity, explore the cursed valley of Barovia under the shadow of Castle Ravenloft, in search of her elder sister who was abducted when she was little.

Based on a real D&D 5e campaign. Uses real tabletop rules adapted to quest format. It's already an easy system; no understanding of the rule system is required to play. Brief explanations and resources are nonetheless included for players who are interested.

A recap of major plot events so far is provided in the thread.

>>5299975
>>5299975
>>5299975
>>
I'm surprised akun is getting mentioned so much more. I thought we all hated akun here. Did I miss the memo on something?
>>5312062
>>5311406

How is questing there, anyhow?
>>
>>5312488
The site migrated to a new server, causing almost a day of downtime. What you are seeing are akun refugees.
>>
>>5312501
Maybe if we tell them about QQ they'll go there and Kas will lose traffic.
>>
>>5312418
Wait, who the fuck got into a fight with me? I don’t remember shit about anyone arguing with me
>>
>>5312062
What quests are worth reading over on Anonkun?
>>
>>5312651
None
>>
I’m going to do this quest, and not sit on ideas forever. Hopefully by posting an OP pic and premise here I’ll be more enticed to go through with it when I’m back, les I wait for another thousand posts and a new thread to show my face in /qtg/ again under a different ID.

Traveling out and back, you arrive home only to find that Tokusatsu heroes, Magical girls, Futuristic technology and the like are apparently normal. Contacted by an unknown number who knows of the mundane reality, you are urged to figure out who is the source of all these different fantasies before undisclosed consequences befall upon everything.

Name’s not final and I’m still not sure on it but I guess it’ll either grow on me before I’m able to start or I hear or think of a better one.
>>
>>5312614
They may not mean "Schizo QM", but "a QM who is a schizo". Earlier they seemed to be referring to Fae Smelter, and his colourful demeanour and unconventional quests may have provoked such an assessment.
>>
>>5312752
Seems interesting! I'd check it out.
>>
>>5312651
Depends on if you are horny
>>
>>5312762
Does it has Fate quest with Sakura as main girl?
>>
>Left a too heavyhanded clue
>Reveal that's been brewing for 4+ months ruined
>>
>>5312804
Ah, damn, sorry man. Didn't mean to accidentally expose your plans. If it helps, despite us guessing Maktana's heritage and maybe the Hegemony's increased conflict with the 'natural order', I don't think any of us have actually predicted what form this big reveal/event is going to take.
>>
File: 27836.jpg (53 KB, 572x464)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>QM Question:
Write-Ins are welcomed, and if the majority supports them, or they do not go against the offered suggestions, I try and implement them.

>Player Question:
I let other players handle the mechanics and systems.

>General Question:
Not QMs fault, but if the quest advances far above my ability to catch up.

>Misc. Question
Run my new quest! >>5309562
>>
>>5312046
>We want to coom into ALL the girls!
>We kissed and confessed to a girl! Score!
>No, we can't kiss her again and tell her we love her, even in private. Some other girl might see or hear it and get upset and then we might not be able to coom into ALL the girls! We already caught that one, let's move to the next!
>The girl we kissed and confessed to says she's fine with us cooming into other girls as long as we confirm that we love her the most? How DARE she?! This is completely unacceptable! We're gonna tell her she's not special and use all her deepest fears to make her cry instead! Damn, I hate that bitch.
>A date? What a boring waste of time. Who wants to actually spend time with the girls (plural) we have confessed to? I just wanna cooooom!
>QM, you've finally realized that we mean it when we say we want to coom into ALL the girls, all dozens of them? Why are you saying that it's not gonna work? Why are you saying it's only gonna lead to pain and heartache? I just wanna coom, not think about boring relationship stuff!
>We're gonna keep voting to coom into ALL the girls! QM, we're gonna make you change your mind with our DETERMINATION!
>QM, wdym some girl might reject us? We could erase them with a thought, how could they say no to that?
>QM, wdym you're not enjoying writing the MC as a hopelessly retarded haremfag coomer? What about our DETERMINATION?
>QM, where are you going? Why are you abandoning the quest? What about cooming into ALL the girls? How will I coom into ALL of them now?
>I regret nothing! It's all the fault of that damn namefag who kept telling us not to do the things that killed the quest! The QM would have surely been moved by our DETERMINATION if it wasn't for that one namefag!
Reminder
>>
>>5313003
worms
>>
>>5312797
>>5313003
Fuck off Sakurautist. Everyone other than you hates the wormslut.
>>
I got a question for the QMs of the general: Have you ever showed your quest to a friend or family member?
>>
>>5313393

Not by consent.
>>
>>5313396
Did your mom walk in while you were writing or something?
>>
File: img.png (927 KB, 740x900)
927 KB
927 KB PNG
>>5313399

Worse. She found the sketchbook.
>>
File: 1601373551532.gif (2.21 MB, 247x183)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB GIF
>>5313402
oh no.
>>
File: 1649346878798.gif (851 KB, 200x200)
851 KB
851 KB GIF
>>5313402
What was in the sketchbook?
>>
>>5313426

The worst, beg-tier pictures of my cast that you could ever imagine-- nothing lewd or anything of that sort, but just *bad* in the fundamental sense. Like can't-even-draw-a-head right sort of bad.

>>5310142 Here's how I draw now, albeit slightly rusty from not drawing that much for a while. As for the drawings in-question... uh, I lost them. For good.
>>
>>5313402
Oh right, I think I remember you saying something about this?
Didn't she say something about how you should stop drawing "those demonic fish creatures" or whatever?
>>
File: quest autism book.png (130 KB, 1254x824)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>5313402
>>5313426
Here you are Nelson.
>>
File: beachep.png (2.25 MB, 1600x900)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
>>5313393
Yep--have a few close friends who I've shown Bones to. Got some art out of 'em too which was great, but I'm looking into transferring the completed quest to its own website or something once it's completed so that they can have an easier time reading it and it's easier to share!

>>5313402
:c sucks because your art kicks ass. Shame she saw all the 'demonic' crap...

Follow-up SUMMER-THEMED QUESTION for PLAYERS AND QMS:
>What 3 Quest Characters (Main, Secondary, or Otherwise) would you wanna take on a SUMMER ISLAND BEACH GETAWAY and WHY? Yes, they can be from multiple quests, duh-doi
>>
File: 1619120255055.gif (255 KB, 326x326)
255 KB
255 KB GIF
>>5313435
>>5313436

You guys never forget anything, do you?

>>5313439
Does that sort of thing require any webdev talent? Or is it as easy as making a wordpress.com?
>>
>>5313467
Haven't really decided yet--I've got a shitty wordpress/wix thing set up, but haven't gotten too far into it yet since it's essentially copy+pasting each and every post/image into a site. In short, still up in the air!

>>5312752
Give it a shot, man--eager to see how it goes.
>>
>>5313393
Yes. Told two friends about it. One decided to troll me a bit, the other I have given the honor of naming a specific line of aircraft. I'll give anyone who actually plays my quest a guess as to which one. I also think I briefly mentioned it to one of my family members but I don't recall if that was just some dream or just while I was exhausted.
>>
File: Pepe Roblox.jpg (87 KB, 1234x1070)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>5313393
My roommate is my captive audience. He doesn't have a car so every time I drive him somewhere he is forced to listen to me go on and on about the philosophical and moral quandaries posed by my quest, and I love to delectably reveal my long term plans and plot points to him in advance; knowing he is powerless to even spoil them as I would know it is him and he'd have to deal with the consequences as he is my tenant.
>>
File: images2.jpg (6 KB, 224x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>5313502

Undeniably and irrevocably based.
>>
>>5313393
No, but it's in a 'shared universe' to another solo game I'm running with a friend.
Obviously, the two games are noncanon to each other.
>>
>>5313436
The bad part is that it was hidden inside another book. Sure freaky drawings are one thing, but if it's just in a normal sketch book then you can sort of own it.
>>
File: 390893828235.png (329 KB, 772x1196)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
>>5313393
My quest is a collaborative effort between me writing and my buddy offering a second opinion on my ideas and drawing muties with fat asses on my behalf. (Design not final, WIP). I would have given up after the first thread if it weren't for him.

Also, if everything goes well and nothing comes up July 7th motherfuckers. I have a nice little worldbuilding piece coming up soon. Nothing huge, but a little something to give a brief glimpse as to what's going on in the wider world outside of where the plot of OSQ is currently taking place.
>>
>Wong still not back over a year later

Can someone please run a quest based on samurai chanbara films so I can finally die?

Or maybe just tell me that you will so I can die while believing a comforting lie?
>>
>>5313393
Never showed a family member -- just described it vaguely as a a "collaborative creative writing exercise". A few of my friends, especially online friends, have been linked... But I don't think any of them has much interested.
>>
>>5313630
What about a Ronin who dancefights?
>>
>>5313559

It was a book disguised as a normal-people book, actually. If I'm being frank, Murphy's Law had that thing doomed from the get-go.
>>
>>5312062
>>5312488
>>5312651
Shills for Akun, the furry porn quest site, cousin to Questden
>>
>>5313502
Based beyond belief
>>
>>5313642
It's a shame, cause your writing is damn good and explicitly made me don the QM-mantle
Although I can understand not wanting to share the fact you're writing heavily sexualized content online/spoiler]
>>
>>5313826
Your quest is off to a solid start and I'm enjoying it.

I'd honestly consider my content less sexualized than, like, some widely-respected Neil Gaiman stuff. The Infiltrator's inhuman moral upbringing and player input rendered her a rapey racist, though, so she's a bit awkward.

I'm very amused that her huge, chadly son is a late-blooming and sort of awkward virgin.
>>
>>5313831
>IGNORE THOTS
>ACQUIRE TREASURE
>>
>>5313831
>Your quest is off to a solid start and I'm enjoying it.
This is worth gold to read. Thanks.
Your leveling and game system is genius. The more the skill is used, the stronger it gets, until it trivialize and autowin simple stuff;
I definitely see why you're doing the rolls yourself though.
>>
>>5313835
I think I overleveled the MC in Thread 1 of the new quest, but between slowing down leveling and what I have planned, it should be fine. Besides, the first DAQ went by about three times faster than RIQ.
>>
>>5313622
your friend absolutely butchered that arm but thats still a nice bumm
>>
Here's a question for experienced QMs. Let's say you have a quest whose player population died out, but it's not finished yet. What is the most efficient way to onboard fresh players without forcing them to catch up on the entire quest?
>>
>>5313883
if your player population hits zero you should cut your losses
>>
File: IMG_20220623_174038.jpg (720 KB, 1080x2153)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
Anybody read Sufficient velocity? What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>5313886
Meh I prefer this site to the other.

Also anyone have that ASOIF quest on there thats like 5000 pages long?
>>
File: Charles de Valois.png (540 KB, 721x765)
540 KB
540 KB PNG
Coupez Cordes ! Hurlez Bataille ! The next local lord quest is back and every heralds of arms of the realm must advertise it.

It puts a glorious French feudal lord of the XIIIth century in a strange universe where small cagots live near men and pointy eared Guelphs wage war with green skinned and abnormally small Ghibellines. And were witches and wizards are not burned at the stake but honoured ! Christ preserve us from this devilry !

>>5314154
>>5314154
>>5314154
>>
>>5313883

You might want to cut to the perspective of a newcomer, even going so far as to frame it as a new quest or side story. If you can re-establish in this new perspective that might give new readers the background to follow the older characters.

It's definitely important to reflect on why the pop died out though.
>>
>>5313883
When you say 'died out', do you mean it's completely abandoned? Like no votes for a few days? If that's the case you'd probably wanna do what >>5313884 said and let it go. Making a quick announcement along with a request for feedback might be good too so that you can maybe figure out why it was abandoned in the first place.

If you still have 1 or 2 voters, though, the best thing is to keep going--/qst/'s players come and go and you never know when you'll get some new readers. Just gotta keep at it so that people know you're committed to it.

That all said, writing a quest should be FUN--if you aren't digging it anymore, there's no need to force yourself to write, like, eighteen more threads and give it a forced ending.
>>
>>5314165
Nice! Welcome back. I'll catch up and vote ASAP. Love this quest.
>>
File: h0ksr0o1tx881.jpg (51 KB, 750x613)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
What is your opinion on writing in quests that is outside the player perspective? I've been thinking about adding at least once a thread something of an outside PoV from different characters depending on what's going on. My main hesitation is that quests are naturally more collaborative, and I'm wary of writing from the PoV of someone who isn't the main character, and thus my player has no control of their actions. I also worry about the obvious aspect of the player now being a bit more aware of certain character's motivations that the PC wouldn't be.

On the other hand, it seems like it would be a useful tool for occasional world building and fleshing out of characters. How do you feel when you see something like this appear in a quest?
>>
quick rundown on the primarch quests currently running ? which is the best ?
>>
>>5314245
Speaking from experience it's okay... in bursts. If you do it too often and too early you risk your players missing out on bonding with the protagonist--keeping them from becoming too attached is fine, of course, but if you change perspectives too often you won't develop that desire to see the character grow and survive.

That said, if you don't jump into several perspectives all the time and do it sparingly it can help develop the story and world a little bit. That said, if your protagonist is a fish out of water, the players can fill in the world's blanks themselves by asking questions in-character.

Tl;dr: do it, but do it sparingly
>>
>>5314245

If you mean writing the perspective of an enemy or opponent, sure. Go for it. Just be sure that it's the right time. Personally I think it's also partially dependent on the quest in question. Something like mine where you are overseeing a group, organization, army, ect is honestly perfect for doing it. Though, as the above, don't do it constantly. Do it when it's fitting.
>>
File: The Island.jpg (1.68 MB, 1640x2101)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>5310121
Nationquest Chapter III is going on break for a few days. During that time I'll be answering questions and taking feedback and suggestions on the quest and setting.
I welcome any current or former players of Nationquest/Captainquest, or any new players curious about it, to jump in and check it out.

>>5314258

Thanks to all the players, but also everyone who gave advice and insight on running quests. I wouldn't be here without you.
>>
>>5314245
I prefer to do this as bonus content, to get additional context from someone who the players would probably want to learn more about but won't see as much in the future. A "Where are they now" or "What did X mean by this" makes sense, at least to me. Only one per character in question seems about right, unless you've already done the rounds.
The best time to do this, IMO, is right after the character has died, for the purposes of a sort of obituary.
>>
>>5314245
I like interludes that show us scenes the protagonist couldn't be in. It is difficult to flesh out side characters when the camera always follows a single person, especially in this quest format. Interludes can work great in that regard, if carefully used.
>>
>>5314103
Yeah I read 3 million words before giving up. It went on for 2.5 more million words before ending.

>>5314245
I like the occasional interlewds in my porn quests where we get to see things from the perspective of the one getting fucked.
>>
>>5314206
Yes, as in completely abandoned. Mine isn't abandoned, there is still a few regulars who come and go, but I ask for the sake of contingency because it seems like a useful topic for QM wisdom. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>5314103
Been checking out SB and SV both have some long running quests. Plenty of fanfiction and Worm.
>>
>>5311055
>>5311048
It is finally up!

>>5314371
>>5314371
>>5314371
>>
>>5314245
I think it is a good tool to highlight the actions of the PC. Giving an insight into what others think or witness.
>>
>>5314245
I've used it in both my quests semi-frequently, both as a way to flesh out side characters and also to flesh out the MC as they think about him/it from an outside perspective, as well as to grant a look at the wider world. Of course, since there is no choice to be made other than which interlude to go with based on a vague prompt, I find it's best to use sparingly, so that each one has some bite and meaning and the players won't get sick of seeing the perspective of someone who may only be tangentially related to the story.
>>
Weird question maybe, but I've always wanted to try running a quest and I guess I'm sort of curious if you guys are the best game in town for that still, or if there's some place else more active these days?

What I've got in mind, very loosely speaking, is a text heavy semi-free form Stalker zone-exploration type thing, but between this place and the other various quest enclaves still existent on the internet I don't know who is most suitable. 4chan at least is very familiar to me, which is both the appeal of doing it here and also why I don't entirely trust doing it here. Honestly I'm worried I guess that if I try to do anything socially nuanced I'll just get shitposters or else people wanting to side with whatever faction I set up as being the most oppressive and xenophobic. Realistically that stuff has the potential to be a problem anywhere I go, but if I wanted that outcome I could just run a game for my shithead friends instead since that'd be much simpler.

Well, I'll probably lurk a bit and get a better idea about the culture here regardless of answers, but yeah appreciate if anyone responds.
>>
>>5314848

Go wild! I'd love to see a STALKER quest myself!

Also, unless you very deliberately do a piss-poor job of running your quest (which I doubt from the sound of your text) you will incur a good amount of votes. Shitposter raids were only common to a) really, really bad quests b) TG era quests.

Plus, people love Fallout/post-apocalyptic vidya quests! Good luck!
>>
>>5314848
Personally I've written on /qst/, Akun, and QQ. I would say Akun requires you to set aside time for lives but it's the most active if you stick with it and attract an audience. That second part is going to be easier if you're open to writing smut, but I wouldn't say smut is strictly required. QQ is slower paced and less inclined to discussion than /qst/ in my humble opinion. One must write smut to attract an audience on QQ, but you can fit plenty of plot in there with the screwing.

I would say that where you find success is probably most determined by your intended update schedule. /qst/ seems best suited for daily or multiple daily but not continuous/live updates. Anything slower paced might have more luck on QQ/SV/SB and anything faster on Akun.
>>
>>5314849
Well, I'm using Stalker as a shorthand here to avoid needing to overelaborate, so I'm not literally planning to run Stalker I'm afraid, but something that will end up with a very similar vibe hopefully!

>>5314863
Thank you, that's actually super helpful.
>>
>>5314848
Sometimes, 4chan quests with social complexities have a heavy lean towards race-purists, traditionalists, nationalists, and authoritarians... But not always, and not overwhelmingly. Kobolt Klan Adoption has a lot of forgiveness and tolerance for weird monster people, even the ones the players don't want to have sex with and who have done questionable things, seemingly because of an empathy for social outcasts, underdogs etcetera. I saw the same thing in my last quest which LITERALLY had a racial purist snake-racist, dedicated to her own people to the end, still willingly ally with an repeatedly show mercy to or even SIDE with furries, mixed-race prostitutes, etcetera, despite committing gruesome medical experiments and assassinations. They could never bring themselves to go full Nazi, culminating in showing great sympathy to the heavily Jewish-coded, hereditarily-wealthy human antagonists when they finally had to kill them, and sparing the youngest because they could not and would not kill a baby.

tl;dr, 4chan can be edgy, but /qst/ is mostly edgy-with-nuance, and in weird ways that have room for characters who can be surprisingly kind to groups you might not expect them to be tolerant of.
>>
>>5314848
You get the culture you set out to get in your presentation.

If you present the character as a shithead, players will be that. For the early quest if there are not many divergent options players will often choose to not rock the characterization boat until directly prompted to. I'd advise you do so because it's basic GMing to provide that early attachment. It's the first time they're seeing the world and their character, how you show the players their world will largely determine their morality. If the character has a past, and they should, you'll benefit from highlighting minor but changeable personality traits alongside one or two staples(ones you want to write) in the general action of their behavior and the frame of mind that character has should be existing within the prompts.

Generalizing greatly, people on /qst/ take unambiguously evil mcs and double down, take ambiguous mcs towards something good, and choose generally whatever they believe will reward their sense of progress. Which depends on what you've presented to them in the nature of the characters' perception to be progress. (Their mission, goal, desires and aims, down to nitty gritty stuff like with contextual shit in whether they believe people are to be believed or just used and discarded)

Those on the fence or inbetween will be rooted out by nature of the given prompts and which faction gives the players the most apparent freedom. An easy trick is to have an inoffensive but direct character talk the MC into being helpful to them for small rewards, and every step of the idea should characterize the world and offer moments for the players to choose who they are. That's where you decide the usefulness of the players input, and where they decide whether the freedom matters to them by coming to situations where they must choose a building conclusion to what they believe their character is or a constructive disintegration of realizing what they're not. Mostly, QMs here are abject cowards who play nice and only do the former because they want the quest to last.

If the players dislike all the factions you can be open to running them as a shady lone wolf, or provide that option very close to the start, with all the potential drama and danger that entails.

If you present a character in a way in which they cannot perceive any benefit to being a shithead the players will not choose to be one. But remember, in RPGs spite has always been a good enough reward and murder is just XP.

The other poster is correct on all accounts to my experiences with the questing websites and the personal scheduling. The only thing I can add is that /qst/ has archiving on suptg so people can remember when you dropped your quest much easier.
>>
>>5314900
How do you feel about the current reptilian MC being much less of “purist” than his literal half human mother? Though it’s still early.
>>
>>5314903
>Generalizing greatly, people on /qst/ take unambiguously evil mcs and double down, take ambiguous mcs towards something good, and choose generally whatever they believe will reward their sense of progress.
This is a good post overall but I'll particularly +1 this from personal experience.
>>
File: neutral.jpg (10 KB, 200x154)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>5314904
I'd have run it either way
>>
>>5314903
> If the character has a past, and they should
And I took that personally
>>
>>5314993
Heritage is also a past, and having the players choose it themselves is a fine idea.
>>
>>5314848
My current quest literally had the first post be a black gangbanger MC the players could choose, and while they didn't pick him, nobody has said anything weird or racist about it being an option. For the most part I've found that the average /pol/ stuff you'd see on every other popular board on 4chin is mostly absent from /qst/, to it's great benefit in my opinion.

A nuanced story dealing with heavy social issues should face no problems on /qst/ assuming you write it well and like the other anon said, present the MC as a character who wouldn't naturally want to be a dickhead to people who look different than him or whatever, if that's what you're going for.

>>5314903
>Generalizing greatly, people on /qst/ take unambiguously evil mcs and double down, take ambiguous mcs towards something good, and choose generally whatever they believe will reward their sense of progress.
>If you present a character in a way in which they cannot perceive any benefit to being a shithead the players will not choose to be one.

Very nicely said, this has pretty much been my experience on /qst/ as well.
>>
>>5311356
>On different topic, is the Space Monke QM projecting his love of authoritarianism?
I do not *love* authoritarianism. Quite the contrary. However, I recognize it as the inevitability of the human species. That's partially what the quest is about; finding meaning even when all other forces conspire against you.
>>
>>5313873
It's a WIP concept sketch, the arm isn't finished.

>>5313883
I may not be a very experienced QM with a lot of threads under my belt but I'm actually dealing with a somewhat similar situation right now. If I had more than a lot of threads worth of past events to deal with the approach I would use would still be mostly the same as the one I'm going to be using soon. Start by getting the reader into the action of the quest as fast as humanly possible, engross them in what you believe is the quest's primary appeal quickly and try to do it in a way that doesn't rely on past events. Once you've gotten their attention gradually begin to include small recollections of past events. When something happens that requires previous context just treat it as if it was part of that character's backstory. An example would be "You come face to face with [Antagonist Name] once more the memories of the [insert atrocity] at [select location] still fresh in your mind."

If events are truly crucial to the story and the events that are coming up than slow things down with a small amount of filler content to space things out and give yourself time to re-establish that critical plot point. The goal should be to naturally create intrigue around the important events that occurred earlier in the quest to organically encourage readers to read the past threads. If you have a truly massive quest and there are a lot of plot points in play than dedicated exposition may be required.

How smoothly these techniques work depend on a lot of factors, the length of the quest, the type of story, the significance of past events etc. But even if a quest has been gone a long time it's worth continuing that continuity. If you don't believe me Beastfolk Quest fucking murdered it's player engagement by doing a soft reboot after a hiatus, undoing all the progress previous players made while simultaneously dumping new players into an opening that progressed more slowly than the original.

I 100% guarantee that people who have never read it before would have been down with starting off while there's a mutagen wine cult already halfway built. Just take a little time to reintroduce characters and it would have worked. In the less than 0.0001% the QM of that quest is even still here, let alone reading the shithole that is /qtg/, bring back the original continuity and refuse to elaborate, starting off with more assets gives players more schemes they can do.
>>
Damn Reptoid the guy blowing a fusible in your thread is acting as an asshole, this is a really low blow.
>>
File: called it.png (71 KB, 1877x418)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>5315286
Eh, it is what it is. It's 4chan. Besides, from the moment the Game of Distortion included silkworm anatomy and haughty novice cloaca, I knew this was one possible path.
>>
>>5315301
That's why MCs should always be either female, a whore or both.
>>
>>5315130

>Is it an inevitability?
>Or is it a persistent and endless fight against entropic political forces, which must be continually strived against to overcome?
>>
File: duwang.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>5315286
>>5315301
Am I wrong to be afraid of something like this happening? My quest has been very tame so far despite my expectations, the last thing I want is for anons to start fighting over a controversial choice about who to couple with.
>>
>>5315404
If they fight with each other it's okay. Just don't pick a side yourself.
>>
>>5315404
I don't know about other QMs, but personally watching the players squabble among themselves fills me with nothing but glee. Unless one side is making a dumb argument that might lead the plot in a direction I'm uninterested in writing, that's not as fun.
>>
>>5315432
I prefer player discussion to player conflict. If there's anyone the players should be angry at, it's me, preferably for making them feel bad for a character, rather than not handing them their fantasy on a silver platter.
>>
>>5315404
Retarded pointless fight and arguments in a quest is great. In my opinion, it is the lifeblood of some of the best quests to ever be made, it means anons are extremely invested in your quest to the point they will get genuinely upset if things don't go their way. It's not something to be feared, but savored. Although there is a limit to everything, and you as a QM will have to know when to step in so your quest won't implode, but if your quest is engaging enough to spawn arguments then you should be well equipped to handle it anyway.

In my mind, discussion of any kind is a million times better than copy paste votes with nothing else said.
>>
>>5315450
>It's not something to be feared, but savored.
Until your quest becomes a toxic cesspool of constant seethe, your mc starts behaving like a schizo as different factions of monkeys (no offense Bananas) fight to take the wheel and you start bleeding players. These arguments are only fine up to a certain extent, and at some point it's your responsibility as the QM to put your foot down and end them.
>>
>>5315466
>Although there is a limit to everything, and you as a QM will have to know when to step in so your quest won't implode
That's why I said this.
>>
>>5315470
I was agreeing with you.
>>
>>5315475
Oh okay, my mistake. Yeah, arguments in quests are fun until they suddenly aren't, knowing how to make choices that are divisive enough start them and how to step in to end them when they go too far is just a part of being a QM.
>>
>>5315348
Yeah, but who wants to just retread Reptilian Infiltrator Quest? Not me.
>>
>>5314245
>QM shows up
>Drops lore bombs from other people's perspectives just before the thread falls off
>Refuses to elaborate
>Leaves
I've always really enjoyed interludes in the quests I've read. It helps flesh out the world and the supporting cast and sometimes there's things the main character just doesn't know. The only hitch is when players start trying to act on information they shouldn't have but I don't think that should preemptively discourage you from trying it since that's heavily dependent on your playerbase in the first place. Depending on how you run your quest the kind of things you get out of an interlude might change as well, because one of the quests I'm following effectively follows an unreliable narrator regarding certain things so when we get a glimpse of things from the outside it's interesting to see how our actions are reframed.
>>
>>5315754
>one of the quests I'm following effectively follows an unreliable narrator
Based. Which quest?
>>
>>5315762
Valen.
>>
>>5315770
Any examples?
>>
>>5315856
Irue(The MC?) keeps "Forgetting" things and so we have to scour the Archived threads and come up with, and write in an internally consistent answer; to a not always obvious question.

For example the most recent one was a character lamenting that they would fall out of contact if we had to split up to better cover / manage "our" shared responsibilities, and Irue remembering that we had "liberated" a magical telephone, so sourcing a 2nd (or more) set would let us communicate the same way the "bad guys" have been, though with an unknown level of security.

One of the more recent ones though was much harder where we had to string 3 sequential "Forgetting's" together to do the big thing and finally get "what we wanted"), we got two of three and I "lucked" into the last one somehow Though it was probably given due to it in retrospect not being obvious what was asked and some arguments being "pretty close"

If I'm being honest, we don't have a great track record and if Riz ever gets around to further updating the list of answers (up to thread 74 of 81 as of writing) I'm sure more things are going to be revealed, by proxy.
>>
File: Untitled.png (490 KB, 1044x756)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
Whatcha' playing, /qst/?
>>
File: leaves.jpg (87 KB, 493x750)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>5316120
I'm the only one reading Student of Magic. Quite well written, and I'm interested to see how the setting develops.

The Dead Don't Dream - A Vampire Hunter Quest is also highly recommended.
>>
>>5315150
>Beastfolk Quest fucking murdered it's player engagement
Oof, true.

>In the less than 0.0001% the QM of that quest is even still here, let alone reading the shithole that is /qtg/, bring back the original continuity
Strongly support. Reptilian Infiltrator Quest wouldn't have EXISTED without that quest and Shopkeeper Quest.
>>
>>5316130
>Student of Magic
Intriguing. Reading up right now! So far, so, good. Thanks for the recommendation!
>>
>>5316171
this one >>5311845 is probably up your alley as well
>>
>>5316176
I'll take a look, but I never got huge into Final Fantasy. Got time to kill tomorrow between chores and posts, though!
>>
I've been stricken with the urge to write more than 1 update per day, but my quest gets votes at a slow rate, only 2 or 3 votes every 24 hours, which bottlenecks me. I'm considering starting a second quest to run alongside it. Any advice from fellow QMs about running multiple quests at the same time? Is it just a shitty idea?
>>
>>5316210
Hello. 2 quests runner here. If you have only a few votes, running several quests is alright.

I have about 1-2 updates per day, but still get 2-3 voters. This really depends on the pace and length of your quest, though.

For me, each update I write about 4-6 posts. If your quest relies more on small decisions quickly, it might not as well.
>>
>>5316210
In short: Yes.

In long: Yes--there are some QMs who can pull it off, of course, and they deserve a pat on the back, but /qst/ and quests in general have nasty habits of ebbing and flowing. If neither quest is too drawing/writing heavy then it might be easier, but if one or both pick up again then you're stuck running two quests and potentially burning yourself out way ahead of schedule.

2-3 votes every 24 hours is, unfortunately, pretty normal around here especially if you're updating at odd hours since players don't always live in the same time zones. If you've just started out my advice is to keep at it and build up a dedicated playerbase--I've had spells where I've had one regular player since Thread 1 and all I can say is that if you keep at it and write the quest out of enjoyment, not obligation, you'll eventually get the attention of more players.

If you lose ALL voters for a day or so, however, you might want to consider shelving the quest for now and ending the thread asking for feedback for the next one. As much as we all hate to admit it, sometimes it's not the quest keeping folks from playing, but the writing or gameplay itself.

I know I sound like I'm repeating myself here, but running another quest will just make writing the original trickier.
>>
>>5316091
pretty interesting
>>5316120
>quest has two updates
>playing
>>
>>5313886
100x time better then /qst/, very kind and friendly user base. Better quests, better players, better moderation. NO draw quests.
>>
>>5313886
SJW police state.
>>
>>5316220
>>5316221
Thanks for the advice frens, I think I'll hold off and focus on the 1 quest for now. My new ideas will still be there when my current quest is over.
>>
File: SV traps.png (70 KB, 1231x667)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>5316320
>>5316331
How do you feel about it's bussy situation?
>>
>>5316343
>>5316331
It IS nice to be able to play around with inhuman morality and politically-incorrwct conspiracy theories as plot elements here, without worrying about someone taking the quest fown for discussing such themes.
>>
>>5316355
One of the Warhammer quests had a mod upset over its anti alien memeing. Sometimes heavy modding is bad.
>>
>>5316367
Someone got banned for making an attack helicopter joke in a quest ABOUT DESIGNING PLANES. Total joke of a site.
>>
>>5313886
>rainbow logo
call me schizo, but that's a red flag
>>5316331
>>5316343
SJVV
>>
>>5316120
It's amazing that you aren't reading the most well written quest on /qst/, The Graverobber's Daughter.
>>
>it's a "QM uses current events to increase player retention episode"
>>
>>5316380
Pretty sure there's nothing that is out of the ordinary for the hegemony when it comes to recent events. They literally have breeding licenses.
>>
>>5316380
Famine arc soon?
>>
>>5316387
No, but (((Hwat))) wants to depopulate the Jaxtians while making more Hazaar.
>>
>Another Fate Quest
>It's not very good.
If only you fuckers hadn't ruined Shinji Quest with your retarded antics.
>>
>>5316373
There's a couple quests I've been meaning to check out, that and Bones being among them, but I'm reticent to join those quests so many threads in. I may just read them as narratives when they're done.

>>5316400
Didn't his compromise with Agori's descendant, the Supremacist faction leader, put a stop to that?
>>
>>5316414
We have no idea how the treaty actually looks like in it's finished version.
>>
File: EvoSplash.png (199 KB, 547x265)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
Hey Kids! Do you like Evo quests?
Do you like skirmishes, but always though they looked too complicated?

Play Evo skirmish! It's super simple, if you have the intelligence of the 13 year olds I suspect you all are you'll probably be able to get your heads around this game.

>>5316452
>>
>>5316433
Or what version of said treaty Cijan would actually be willing to sign off on when he returns home.
>>
>>5316414
Thanks for your interest! This old tin soldier's got at least a few more threads left in him, so I dunno what the best time would be to jump into Bones... that said, we'd love to have you!

Haven't gone forward with the website plan yet, but all the threads are archived if you ever feel like checking them out. Archive link's always posted in the second/third post of a new thread!

>>5316380
Ooooh those crazy Jaxtians! What wacky hijinks will they get into next?

>>5316130
Just started reading Student too. It'd better be good, punk, or I'm comin' after you.

>>5316341
Atta' boy. Even better, you'll be able to use what you learned from your current quest in your next one! Practice, practice, practice!
>>
>>5316503
Yeah, i reckon Cijan's not going to be a very big fan of Hazaar after being forced to sacrifice a friend to the fucking xenos
>>
trippin
>>
>>5316411
Well, at least you read it, so I appreciate the honesty.
>>
>>5316411
It was the QM's own fault for letting them ruin his quest.
>>
>>5316130
Thanks for the recommendation fren, glad people are enjoying it, and major props for sticking with my extremely inconsistent posting schedule. I do think that will be improving in the near future and I'll be able to make at least one post a day consistently after some family and health drama calms down.
>>
>>5310121

>QM Question:
Generally I will tweak it if needed, if it involves the character saying something or using knowledge they wouldn't have. Beyond that I dont mind using write-ins

>Misc. Question
I want to get my own quest moving faster then it has this year, since i shouls have more time
>>
>>5316343
every online community is controlled by trannies/furries/people who cant survive in the real world, even 4chan. The only reason you can get away with it here because there is not enough jannies to control it all.
>>
>>5316894
>even 4chan
Kek. ESPECIALLY 4chan. Forget trans people or furries, the specific and infamous brandy of edgy contranianism here helped BUILD the culture of the Aughties internet, and weird online cults and spree shooters famously crop up among our ranks because so many users of this site can't cope with the world.
>>
File: two more!.png (71 KB, 360x354)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>5316120
A couple more! Student of Magic is indeed great, and Hedge Quest has some solid characterization and I have a soft spot for hookers with a heart of gold after my first successful quest
>>
>>5317136
Agent of the Magisterium has been neat so far. Getting noirish vibes in sci-fi magic Rome.
>>
>>5316120
>Hedge Quest
Nice side story/one shot so far, can’t wait for Tomoko to come around to Natsumi and for the latter to realize the truth. QM took the idea of doing paper doll style art from Tomboy GF, which probably lessened the workload by a considerable amount.
>Heretic Cultivator
Tournament arc has gone in a bit long, though it near the end. Really like the world and Huan is pretty interesting as a giant cat demon with an inflated ego
>Drunkard and the Alien
Liked the QM’s last quest, so curious to see where this one goes.
>FF: Heaven’s Cataract
I just think it’s neat.
>Mahou Shoujo Academia
QM has put in way too much effort into something that could have coasted off of being fapbait, and that fascinates me. Post-disaster magitech magical girls (and boys that look like girls) with an MC that has several contrasting traits is a nice combo.

Also a couple quests I want to catch up to like Bones or Shinigami Schemer.
>>
>>5312651
Soma ran a quest on Anonkun once that was good called The Life of a Magister, It had a pretty interesting magic system
>>
>>5316120

>Violent Masquerade
>Drowned Quest Redux
>Bones Quest
>Schizo hero

It's a rather small, humble list imo, but, now that I have enough time to run my own quest, I spend way more time running said quest than reading other ones if I'm being frank.

I will now proceed to blatantly shill said quest, since I didn't do that in my actual /qtg/ post, and also because I can :-)

>>5307214
>>5307214
>>5307214
>>
>>5316120

Bones and Little Dungeon are my vices at the moment. I want to catch up to a lot of quests but I'm pretty sure dragonborn is updating faster than I read it.

I'm pretty obsessed with Little Dungeon, to the point I'm drafting a dungeon quest together, although with a pretty different style.
>>
>>5317551
>dragonborn is updating faster than I read it
If you want to catch up, now's a good time. It's a pivotal vote, so I'm leaving it until tomorrow morning before my next update.
>>
File: Quests.png (273 KB, 808x835)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
>>5316120
playin' dis
>>
File: Quest Hopes.png (227 KB, 732x1016)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>5317779
and here's the quests i'm catching up with, and the quests i hope will pick up
>>
File: Watching.png (16 KB, 253x268)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>
To all drawfags: Which drawing tablet are you using?
>>
>>5317839
Huion H610 Pro

It was and is extremely cheap but I really haven't had any problems with it. The stylus is a little gay I will admit.
>>
File: Untitled36_20220220163221.png (200 KB, 1378x1378)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>5317839
I've been using my phone, a shitty paint app, and my godforsaken fingers. Tis a retard's life for me. Buying a tablet and a stylus soon.

The current method makes drawing for updates an absolute hell so i havent ran anything in a while. Hoping to change that soon
>>
>>5317792
YOOO thanks man. Im about to finishing my update in a few mins. Thanks for reading mine!
>>
>>5317811
I'm honored to be in the list.
To be fair, for now people are way more engaged in what I'm doing than I could had dreamed, I will try to keep the player interested in the quest
>>
>>5317839
>>5317847
I also.use a huion. Cheap Chinese shit.
>>
File: 6H4vMNG.png (328 KB, 1600x1199)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>5317839

Wacom Intuos. The small, cheap kind-- it's very puny. I'd only consider it worth it if you have the patience for small tablets. Haven't touched that thing in over six months though. It's unfortunate that there's so much stuff on digital that can't be accomplished with paper and pencil.

Anyone got any recs for larger ones?
>>
>>5318207
I never got used to intuos could be skill issue, idk and wacom's support can eat shit and die.
>>
>>5318207
A tablet is a tool like any other, you have to get used to it. Its like complaining about how using a brush is too hard all the while the old masters are pointing and laughing at you.
>>
>>5317839
Intuos Pro PTH 651
It's pretty good, you don't really need much. Just use what you're comfortable with, and make sure it has pressure sensitivity, though really what doesn't have that these days.
>>
Probably should have done this earlier since this is basically free advertising the thread but...
>>5285615

Do you like trench warfare? Do you like the rise of flight? Aircraft made of canvas and wood? Do you want to be a commander of a wing of these aircraft and lead your country to victory? Well, you are a bit late to really do too much of that but you sure as hell can read about other anon's doing just that! A new thread will be starting once the old one falls off, and I'd like some criticism on the game later, so for those who want to read up on it, give it a go. Tis my first quest all by myself, as I usually have been a player, or once a CoQM, but I believe I've done at least an alright job with it.
>>
how am i going to start my quest when i have the detriment that is the inability to write
>>
>>5318528
It hasn't stopped plenty of other QMs, why should it stop you?
>>
>>5318529
like who
>>
>>5318528
If you're talking about writer's block, then it's good to expose yourself to new and interesting things that can stimulate your imagination. If you're just talking about writing skills in general, then the only way to work past that is to start writing.

Read more books, maybe get into audiobooks if that's more your speed, and try to absorb knowledge about grammar, vocabulary and sentence structure as you go along. Just start writing and you'll improve as you go. It's sort of like learning how to draw, but its less easy to show off.

If you find a story that you like or a writer that you respect, you'll often find yourself thinking things like "Damn, I love how they described that!" or "Ooh, I can use something like that for my story!"
>>
>>5318532
Look at the catalog and throw a dart. Most everyone here is an amateur writer, and while I'll never discourage anyone from doing it, I'm also not going to say the results are pretty. Some people are just more talented, more experienced, and make more interesting things, but by and large, most people QMs are just bad at writing. I'd argue they're bad at QMing in general, with writing falling under an umbrella of other categories of aptitudes which go along with being a QM.

And that's fine, honestly. There's a ceaseless tide of people who can and will enjoy scarfing down absolute garbage, and the only way anyone can improve is to suck at something repeatedly. So it's fine if people suck, you'll still find an audience, and after a while you might even start sucking less.
>>
>>5316380
Actually kinda devo we won’t be able to play Hwat’s daughter as the Supreme…
>>
Replying to >>5317786
>Clone Wars Quest
>A Bizarre Journey (WorstJojo pls...)
>Christian Cultist in 40k
>Stand Quest Requiem
>HMQ
>House Malroy
>Small-Titty Tomboy Girlfriend
>Big-Titty Goth Girlfriend Sidestory
>Human Fighter Quest (second thread didn't even get archived, which was shit)
>Imperial Citizen
>>
>>5318528

Just go for it. My first quest failed pretty badly, but you've got to get in there to learn. It's just like drawing, you have to pump out hundreds of bad drawings/pages to get good.
>>
>>5318598
Won't we? We shall see...
Or maybe her super-child with Hwat will be female, and have chances she never did because her gene score, and performance, is just TOO GREAT to deny?

We'll see, but don't despair yet.
>>
>>5318598
>>5318655
Some things just aren't meant to happen.
>>
>>5318528
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOmkrwQdFc
>>
>>5318655
>Or maybe her super-child with Hwat will be female
Every single one of them? I mean, the entire point of the AI's manipulation was that Cijan would have an super-son.
>>
>>5318598
Did you actually think that was going to happen?

Even if it wasn't illegal, it was literally never going to happen because of the timing. Unless both Cijan AND Hwat died, it would literally be impossible. She's way too old.
>>
>>5318528
Practice makes perfect, anon, and I can say from experience that nothing has given me more writing practice than writing and constantly updating a quest!

Moreover, if you and your readers are having fun playing/writing it, the rest will come naturally!
>>
When does quest “discussion” / arguments become blatant autism. What is the line?
>>
>>5318553
>most people QMs are just bad at writing.
: ()
>>5318683
There's no set line, you'll just know it when you see it.
>>
>>5318683
There is no line it’s 4chan, the only thing that will truly derail the quest is if the QM let’s it get to them.
>>
>>5318679
You never know. How many kids will she have? Will any be male? Will the males be the right age to become Supreme? We'll see.

>>5318681
>Unless both Cijan AND Hwat died
Very possible, since Cijan was almost killed by the Aristocrat AND was on a dangerous space crusade, and Hwat is presiding over a time of political turmoil and almost WAS assassinated.
>>
Hey, fellow QMs, have any of you got some advice on how to thread a particular needle? I posted an update wherein I wanted the implications and indirect effects of the choice to be something players could speculate on an realize for themselves, but they all took it quite literally. Is it better to just be very direct with "if you choose this, then it will mean [X] happens", or is there room for vaguer votes? If there is room, is there a way you've found to make it clear that players should consider more than just the immediate effects of a decision, but instead the branching possible outcomes which emerge from it?
>>
>>5318839
It depends on whether you want to punish them for being stupid or not. If so, then let them take it however.
>>
>>5318839
Majority of /qst/ is retarded
>>
>>5318839

Some /qst/ players tend to be more obtuse than others (myself included. I was almost going to Google needle-threading methods until I read the rest of your post.).

Mind you, unlike politics/fitness/whatever topics are on this Mongolian cheese-making forum, /qst/-ers don't have a direct lens into the QM's mind nor their internal logic system, so, unless you spell out what you're going to do directly or plan on doing >>5318847, they probably won't catch onto your intentions. I've seen it happen in a couple of quests, one of them actually being Violent Masquerade-- no one noticed the handcuff button until the QM pointed it out himself.

So yeah, depends on whether you like punishing stupidity or not.
>>
File: 1656275774014.png (59 KB, 1717x1193)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>5318859
>that deep sense of shame when you, too, totally forgot that we had a button to remove our bracelet the whole time
>>
>>5318839
Maybe in the future have an NPC or two try speculating to start with? It might get /qst/ players in the mood or clue them in that they need to think further.
I can confirm most /qst/ players, and quest players in general, are obtuse, but I assume it's just because people are in the mood to unwind.
>>
>>5318927
Hm, that's good thinking... Not sure it would have worked in this instance because the players are being so secretive, but I THINK I know how I could have thrown in a line or two that would have made sense in context AND maybe got them thinking along those lines without an author aside. Thank you!
>>
>>5318859
I mean, I brought it up but thats way more lame of a solution than getting ourselves struck by lightning to short circuit the thing.
>>
>>5318839
Players are at the same time
A: extremely disinterested in the quest and will not be able to solve any problem you throw at them in the context with the story or remember anything you tell them
B: extremely invested enough to have huge meltdowns over one of their votes losing and keep a grudge forever if you upset them.
>>
>>5318839
When dealing with vague answers to something that'll happen if they do X, just...be vague. It can work, just make sure it's clear that they have no clue what the fuck they are getting into. If you use too much flowery prose you'll potentially get them to take it literally. It's not exactly an easy thing to describe but it's probably just best to try and read what you wrote and try and think how other people might interpret it. Though, sometimes making them think it means exactly what they perceive on the tin is a good idea. Just make sure it doesn't come out of no where and has some build up to it or at least a foundation for why you don't know what you are really doing. But I guess that last part goes without saying.

Regardless, while 4chan is full of extremely observant autists who can tell you where something is just by a still black and white photograph, they tend to not be on QST. And if they are, they usually are the QM.

Hope this helps.
>>
Speaking of /qst/ obtuseness, I haven't noticed any basic template civ quests on the board. What happened?
I'm almost tempted to run one...
>>
>>5319042
People stopped responding to them since everyone knows it will be abandoned before it even hits 50 replies.
>>
>>5319042
Templates work better if they are more unique and related to the quest, that generalized standard is boring and most of the time is now associated with laziness. Good qm s (not the ones that abandon their quests immediately) can still create something decent out of the choices present in the template, but people don't like it anymore or just avoid the quests that use it when they see them.
>>
>>5318839
You should probably nudge your players with the MC’s internal monologue, just a little. Otherwise, they will take it literally. Same thing keeps happening in Space Monke Quest, anons either don’t think about the implications and little hints or miss out on literal puzzles right in front of them. It gets really depressing when you think about the many missed opportunities for optimization or the puzzle that we solve an update late, really make me think that we’ll never take advantage of these hidden opportunities.
>>
>>5318837
>How many kids will she have?
Probably multiple, given the AI's gigantic effort
>Will any be male?
Why wouldn't they be? The entire point of the gene is that it could be used for an supreme candidate - the AI was the one that found it so.
>>5318837
>Very possible, since Cijan
Cijan was at risk, maybe, but hardly an obvious death.
>and Hwat is presiding over a time of political turmoil
Not *that* much turmoil. He wasn't going to die, unless Kerjak did it, IN WHICH CASE, she wouldn't have been supreme AT ALL, Because Kerjak would have taken over the Hegemony.
>>
>>5319042
/qtg has been through this before. Template Civ quests are a really bad idea because the mental load on the QM just sky rockets. The potential fun of picking an guiding a civ is eventually replaced with the tedium of number crunching.

The best civ quests usually avoid numbers and funnel their decisions heavily through a PoV leader character.
>>
>>5317839
I got myself a 'One by Wacom',Not to be confused with the 'Wacom One'. which was a cheap and easy way to give drawfagging a go.
>>
>>5319011
Thanks, that does help quiet a bit!
>>
>>5319107
Yeeaaah... But Bananas does a great job of weaving stuff back in, so at least there's that. And we guessed the Akule twist and solved that puzzle to deactivate the defences on Andoen, right?
>>
>>5319118
>Why wouldn't they be?
Random luck of the draw? Or maybe she has one or two children, then she or Cijan dies? Who can say?

>unless Kerjak did it, IN WHICH CASE, she wouldn't have been supreme AT ALL, Because Kerjak would have taken over the Hegemony

Unless the resultant turmoil from THAT, and from Yuan's other machinations, got Kerjak killed.
>>
File: The Dead Don't Dream.jpg (117 KB, 656x927)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
Since I haven't done my obligatory shill post in this thread yet, here it is. So far in the story Roland has gotten the first real lead on his daughters killer in months, and has a meeting set up with a underground nightclub owner who supposedly has the information he needs. Along the way, Roland did a case for a hooker with a missing friend, which ended up getting much deeper and darker into the underworld than anyone expected, and after beating the shit out of three crackheads who tried to steal his tacos, he's deciding on which woman in his life he wants to piss off the least.

Come join in, we're still only just getting started!

>>5319108
>>5319108
>>5319108
>>
File: GAOL simplesplash.png (28 KB, 500x500)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
So this quest just ended.

What did I think of it?
>>
>>5319225
The Female MC was too attractive.
>>
>>5319225
I dig the artstyle, the setting is neat, nd the QM seems really cool. I couldn't get into it, though, I think mostly because of the sidekick/waifu. She pulled a lot of focus early on, and I found the fact that she was a constantly-horny child molester too distracting. I gather she got redemption and development later, though? Either way, whenever I peaked in later, I still found it difficult to get invested in the characters.
>>
>>5319225
I respect any quest and QM that actually reaches a definitive ending for their quest, and not just abandoning it due to whatever happened in their life that made them stop posting. It's so rare and hard to achieve that I give major props to IG, despite the fact that I never read much of it. Maybe I will now that it's finally finished.
>>
>>5316331
Even QQ bans people for questioning the 3Mil. Wonder who runs that site? It would be cool if there was someplace decent to run a lewd quest.
>>
>>5319225
It was great, kinda sad how little people appreciated it when it was running
>>
>>5319202
You were counting on the death of THREE Supremes? In a ROW?

Truth is, Kima was never going to be supreme due to the bad timing of her birth.
>>
>>5317839
I have a Wacom Intuos 5, but the entirety of Gaol Quest was done with my fingers in ibisPaint X.

That said, Gaol Quest has officially concluded, the very last thread of it is here:
>>5319064

Also if you want to binge it from start to finish:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Gaol%20Quest

I might turn the entire thing into a more easily readable pdf (with spelling fixes and additional stuff) sometime soon.
>>
You can tell it's summer by the number of half arsed and trollish threads recently created on the board.
>>
>>5319348
Two Supremes, one actuvely on a dangerous mission, and a failure to fill the power vacuum. But yeah, a third could easy die in such circumstances, qhen times get volatile.
>>
>>5319591
Hey, if some of 'em find they like it here and they improve over time, or even just become players, that'll be good. We need new blood. It's how I got started!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.