[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Welcome /Qst/ers, to a quest of exploration and colonization in the universe of Mass Effect! You have been chosen to make a mark upon the galaxy by being the leader of a colonization effort led by 1 or more species, depending upon what you choose. But first, let us choose our world!
Choose 1 world phenotype:
[] Arid
[] Desert
[] Savanna
[] Alpine
[] Arctic
[] Temperal
[] Tropical
[] Ocean
[] Archipelago
[] Supercontinent

Special phenotypes(requires picking either 2 complications and/or anomalies):
[] Gaia (life grows without concern for restrictions. A perfect jewel in space.)
[] Tomb (dead and lifeless, this place has seen a fate known to few other places.)
[] Barren (a place that never had a chance, but maybe once had a past?)

You may all choose 1 free boon to place upon you world and thereafter have to choose 1 bane/complication/anomoly to gain another boon.

Boons (No downside, only good things):
[] Verdant paradise (This world grows food in exceptional quantities and qualities.)
[] Exotic minerals (A great many rare and useful elements can be found in the crust of this planet.)
[] Exotic gases (A variety of gas deposits lies upon this world, containing useful and rare gases.)
[] Stable seasons (a rarity for many worlds, this place has a stable and well known cycle of winter and summer.)
[] Eezo deposits (the mysterious and always useful element zero, located in easy to reach veins around the planet.)
[] Hyperfertile valleys (small gardens of eden where there grows an abundance of novel species and plants.)
[] Subterranean caverns (a great network of tunnels and caverns crisscross the world.)
[] Titanic organisms (everything on this world is big! plants, insects, herbivores…. carnivores.)
[] write-in: (If you can think of it, you can have it… so long as it isn’t insane. No stable and harvestable microsingularities!)
>>
>>5265947

Banes(Bad, but with potential for narrative growth)
[] Hostile lifeforms (everything on this world either wnts to eat, fuck or kill. Not necessarily in that order.)
[] Weak magnetosphere (the magnetic field around this world is weaker than it should be, allowing for solar rays to cook the surface.)
[] Incompatible atmosphere (there is no oxygen in this atmosphere, instead life has evolved to breath a different gas. (you can choose which one))
[] Hostile Titanic lifeforms (There isn’t just dinosaurs on this planet, there is actively hostile dinosaurs on it. (acts like 2 banes))
[] Erratic weather (there is no rhyme nor reason for the weather and it frequently leads to storms or worse.)
[] Low mineral density (minerals on this world are spread out instead of being concentrated in veins, leading to difficulty in their exploitation.)
[] Killer plants (there are no animals on this planet…. Because the plants ate them all.)
[] Write-in: (if its terrible, you can have it!)

Complications(a problem that may lead to a useful solution)
[] No prefabs (the company that supplied this colonization effort didn’t bring any prefabricated… anything! Only refined ressources and food. You will have to build things yourself.)
[] Where is the rum? (The colony lacks any amenities to entertain itself with. This may lead to boredom.)
[] Does anyone know how.. (it seems there is a lack of veteran or expert colonists on this mission. Expect to have no good advice for your starting troubles.)
[] Cheap as dirt, old as shit (the equipment that you were given is not the most recent of creations. Expect having to repair and maintain it often.)
[] Women and children first! (Why are there no men in this colony?....)
[] Pure brainpower (All of the colonists are experts in their field. Science is their bread and butter and they know of the mysteries of the universe!.... Now how do you set up a tent?)
[] Old and infirm (They are the toughest there ever was and has seen more shit than you could think up in a story and they are the best in the galaxy!.... About 50 years ago that is.)
[] Droids before people (A majority of the colony are filled with robotic help. They are strong and enduring but not very smart, needing constant attention to not fuck up. Or, a lot of programming.)
[] Write-in: (If it makes the colonization a bit complicated, then whatever you suggest is fine.)
>>
>>5265949
Anomalies(A mystery)
[] The iron crust (The entirety of this planet seems to have a very metal rich crust under the soil. Wonder why that is?)
[] A golden city upon a hill (There is a spot on the planet that is built like a city, but there is no occupants and explorers who ventured near feel like they are observed. What is going on?)
[] The adamant tower (a great superstructure rests upon this planet, spiraling upon and touching the outer edge of the atmosphere. How is it even standing?)
[] Gate of Hades (A great door of metal rests upon the side of a black mountain, opening it leads to a black and deep tunnel. What rests in the depths?)
[] Leviathan (A great object of unimaginable size has been located in the crust of the planet. A great deposit of metal or something else?)
[] Maw in time (a section of the planet is unscannable, giving contradicting or illogical information when dissected. What could there be?)

QM note:
Hello fellow /Qst/ers! I have lurked upon /qst/ now for a very long time and thought that i might give a shot at this QM thing. I hope that you will take part in it and enjoy yourselves :D
This will be a mix of narrative decision making and rolling dice (Bo3 1d100) and will be greatly affected in what you choose to do. To this, your choices in how to handle situations will have a great impact on the way you can handle problems. (ie. if you focus on making a lot of food but no industry, you could easily solve a famine, but not a tool shortage.)

Hope you have fun!
>>
>>5265947
>[]Ocean
Land worlds are for pussies, Ocean worlds are for real men.

>Boon(s)
>[] Titanic organisms (everything on this world is big! plants, insects, herbivores…. carnivores.)
Use the free boon to get Subnautica type creatures, should be scary but also beautiful.

5 other boons, so I think these would be good for water world:
>[] Subterranean caverns (a great network of tunnels and caverns crisscross the world.)
WATER CAVES.
>[] Eezo deposits (the mysterious and always useful element zero, located in easy to reach veins around the planet.)
>[] Exotic minerals (A great many rare and useful elements can be found in the crust of this planet.)
>[] Verdant paradise (This world grows food in exceptional quantities and qualities.)
Water plants, very juicy.
[] Exotic gases (A variety of gas deposits lies upon this world, containing useful and rare gases.)

>Bane(s)
>[] Erratic weather (there is no rhyme nor reason for the weather and it frequently leads to storms or worse.)
Plays into the ocean planet style, I like it.

>Complication(s)
>[] Where is the rum? (The colony lacks any amenities to entertain itself with. This may lead to boredom.)

>Anomalies(s)
>[] A golden city upon a hill (There is a spot on the planet that is built like a city, but there is no occupants and explorers who ventured near feel like they are observed. What is going on?)
ATLANTIS MOTHERFUCKER
>[] Leviathan (A great object of unimaginable size has been located in the crust of the planet. A great deposit of metal or something else?)
WATER PLANET RULES
>[] Maw in time (a section of the planet is unscannable, giving contradicting or illogical information when dissected. What could there be?)
WATER PLANET ABYSS

If anyone wants water planet, vote with me. I think I got everything formatted correctly, if not feel free to correct me.
>>
>>5265977
I forgot to make exotic gases boon green, fuck. There's always something I miss..
>>
>>5265977
You have my vote
>>
>>5265947
Was gonna try to craft my own world but I think this anon's enthusiasm won me over

Maybe swap "Where's the Rum" for Gate of Hades or Droids Before People
>>
>>5265947
[] Temperal
[] Tomb (dead and lifeless, this place has seen a fate known to few other places.)
[] Stable seasons (a rarity for many worlds, this place has a stable and well known cycle of winter and summer.)

[] Hostile lifeforms (everything on this world either wnts to eat, fuck or kill. Not necessarily in that order.)

[] Where is the rum? (The colony lacks any amenities to entertain itself with. This may lead to boredom.)

[] The adamant tower (a great superstructure rests upon this planet, spiraling upon and touching the outer edge of the atmosphere. How is it even standing?)
>>
>>5266005
>>5265977
Meant to link the posts
>>
>>5266007
Hej anon, you have chosen enough banes/others to get another boon, if you would like that.
>>
>>5265977

Support
>>
>>5265977
>Supporting for Atlantis
>>
>>5266005
I like the way you think anon-kun. A giant underwater door sounds ominous and another interesting plot hook. I'm gonna swap out the rum for that one.
>>
>>5265977
ATTENTION QM AND OTHERS, I AM CHAINGING WATER WORLD SLIGHTLY, THE COMPLICATION "[] Where is the rum?" WILL BE EXCHANGED FOR:

>[] Gate of Hades (A great door of metal rests upon the side of a black mountain, opening it leads to a black and deep tunnel. What rests in the depths?)
BECAUSE I LIKE OMINIOUS DOORS AND I LIKE PEOPLE BECOMING DRUNK PIRATES WITH RUM. NOTHING ELSE WILL BE CHANGED. LONG LIVE WATER WORLD.
>>
>>5266010
>>5266007
[] Verdant paradise (This world grows food in exceptional quantities and qualities.)
>>
>>5266029
The change has been observed and accepted, godspeed space pirate!
>>
>>5266029
This change also has my vote
>>
Glory to water world!
>>
Allright, i think waterworld is the winner, but i will wait another 30 min before continuing
>>
File: Hanar.png (607 KB, 1000x500)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>5266094
Ooh, water world.

This one desires that we take a bypass from bipeds and play with the most reverent and Illuminated of galactic powers to make the most of our chosen biome.
>>
allright, vote is up and waterworld is the winner. I am going to write the next update, so see you guys in a bit!
>>
>>5266117
ENKINDLE THIS!!
ONE WHO FUCKS MOTHER!
>>
It seems that Waterworld has won and is the planet that we will be landing on. Now, we must choose a name for our new home:

[] Waterworld
[] Atlantis
[] write-in: (what do you guys want to call it?)

Now that we have a planet, certain mechanics about colony management and exploration will be explained. First up, your people will be ruled by three major aspects:

Morale: Which is how happy your people is. The more happy they are the more suffering they can handle, the less happy they are the less suffering they can handle.
Discipline: How tough mentally and physically your people are. A disciplined people could look an eldritch god in the eye and spit in it, a un-disciplined people would breakdown and suffer a great deal.
Loyalty: How loyal your people are to you. Loyal people would go to hell and back for you, unloyal people would sell you for some bread if the need was there.

Next up, are the 4 major modifiers for exploration:

Sociology: Concerns sociological understanding and application. Think political science and understanding aliens.
Biology: Biology relates to all organic matters. Want to research and make a new medicine? Biology! Want to know what this alien creature is and what you can use its gallbladder for? Biology!
Engineering: When you want to build something new and untested, you get an engineer. When that alien structure you are exploring has some weird metals you don’t understand, but you want to replicate it? You send it down to engineering!
Physics: Out exploring and you find a hole in time and space where the whispers of a thousand dead gods echo out into the eternal void of space and mind? You go to the physics department and tell them to solve it.

These 4 focuses will be used when out exploring or when researching new technology.
>>
>>5266151
Lastly, we have colony ressources:

Food
Amenities
Raw ressources
Refined ressources
Gas
Consumer goods

These are what govern your colony and what it can do. Of these ressources only 2 of them are vital for survival; Food(for feeding your people) and Amenities(For keeping them happy). The rest are used to build and expand the colony in various ways or are good things to sell or trade (Consumer goods). So long as you have a surplus of food and amenities, your colony will go along fine, if you run a deficit then morale/discipline/loyalty will affect how people handle it and what happens.
Now that we have that in place, let’s talk about your people:

[] Human (average at everything, independent)
[] Asari (+5 to sociology, unchanging)
[] Krogan (+10 to discipline, -5 to morale, unruly)
[] Salarian (+5 to engineering/sociology/biology/physics, -5 loyalty, short lifespan)
[] Volus (+2 consumer goods, -1 refined resources, economic savants)
[] Turians (+5 to discipline, stoic, uncaring)
[] Raloi (+5 to sociology, space parrots, who?)
[] Vorcha (+5 to morale(for them), -5 to morale (everyone else), adaptable, savants, tribal)
[] Drell (+10 loyalty, -1 food, fanatics, depressed)
[] Hanar (+5 to biology/physics, +5 morale, preachers, weak (exceptionally suited to certain depths(100-7000 meters)))
[] Elcor (+5 to sociology, +5 discipline, slow, big)

These are all different and have their own unique modifiers. Very important to know, you may choose as many as you want, but not all of them will have the same living areas and needs, potentially leading to a conflict.

Now, to the most important part, you:

What is you name?
[] Write-in

What is your species?
[] Write-in

And what kind of person are you? (1 free boon, after which 1 bane = 1 boon)
Trait(s)

Boon
[] Experienced (+5 morale/discipline)
[] Charismatic (+10 morale)
[] Profession (+5 to either one of the 4 major research focusses)
[] Disciplined (+10 discipline)
[] Badass (+10 loyalty)
[] Cybernetics (+10 survivability, +5 morale)
[] Write-in

Bane
[] Newbie (-5 morale)
[] not a public speaker (can not raise morale through speeches)
[] Ugly (-5 loyalty, can not seduce others)
[] Coward (-5 loyalty, +15 survivability, will not stay and fight a losing battle)
[] Bastard (-5 morale, +2 customer goods, Is an asshole)
[] Sociopath (+5 engineering/sociology/biology/physics, will not help others to their own detriment, -empathy)
[] Write-in
>>
>>5266153
You start out with:

50 Morale
50 Discipline
50 Loyalty
(1-100 where 1 is very bad and 100 is the best)

All other modifiers will be chosen after you have chose the people you will have in the colony and where you settel(will be chosen when we have a name and people).
>>
>>5266183
Oh, i think i might have made a mistake.
There is no need to specify how many of the different people you take (as in, you don't have to say 10 drell and such). I will simply roll a 2d100 for each choice you take (unless you take more than 3, then i will roll 2d50 instead.)
>>
>>5266153
People:
>10 of [] Drell (+10 loyalty, -1 food, fanatics, depressed)
since we live on a water planet they would be best suited, also could lead to interesting shenanigans
>20 of [] Hanar (+5 to biology/physics, +5 morale, preachers, weak (exceptionally suited to certain depths(100-7000 meters)))
They are also used to literal water planets, since they are best suited it makes sense to have more of them.
>5 of [] Krogan (+10 to discipline, -5 to morale, unruly)
> 5 of [] Turians (+5 to discipline, stoic, uncaring)
I was thinking we could create a system where the krogan act as a security force, using them to guard sensitive areas, while we use the turians as a contrasting police force since they are a culture that basically worships the law and rules in general. Maybe even pit the two species against each other in terms of securing the colony so that it encourages them to outdo each other so more gets done. Since krogans love competition, I think their natural impulses would compel them to "compete" with the turians, even subconsciously.
>15 of [] Volus (+2 consumer goods, -1 refined resources, economic savants)
A thriving economy will be needed to grow our colony. Shit, I just realized, that rhymes. lol
>10 of [] Salarian (+5 to engineering/sociology/biology/physics, -5 loyalty, short lifespan)
These guys are great at pretty much everything, good all arounders if shit hits the fan and we need some cannon fodder for a project or fight.
>10 of [] Asari (+5 to sociology, unchanging)
The asari are great at making other species more comfortable, they could help us jell the other species more.

>What is you name?
Isaac Newhorn

>What is your species?
Human

Boon:
>[] Badass (+10 loyalty)
>[] Cybernetics (+10 survivability, +5 morale)
>[] Disciplined (+10 discipline)

Bane:
>[] Bastard (-5 morale, +2 customer goods, Is an asshole)
>[] Sociopath (+5 engineering/sociology/biology/physics, will not help others to their own detriment, -empathy)

I like this build. A badass cybernetic, sociopath. Reminds me of Grand Admiral Thrawn from star wars.
>>
>>5266185
Ah, I see. Well anyway, you know the species I want so just ignore the numbers please.
>>
>>5266151
[] Atlantis

[] Calico Jack
[] Human (average at everything, independent)
[] Badass (+10 loyalty)
[] Disciplined (+10 discipline)
[] Newbie (-5 morale)
>>
>>5266151
I FORGOT TO PUT THE NAME.
I think we should name this planet something ironic, like how Earth is named after dirt, we should name this planet some thing similar...

>[] write-in: (what do you guys want to call it?)
Aqua

The planet shall be called Aqua because earth is named after dirt!!
>>
>>5266196
Genius!
>>
File: giga-desk.jpg (149 KB, 1500x1742)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>5266198
>Me irl
>>
>>5266187
I support. Though, unless we get more humans, the only chance of us passing on our legacy is taking an Asari as a lover. Which I am in no way against!
>>
>>5266192
>Supporting
>>
>>5266192
Do you want to vote on the composition of the people in the colony?
>>
>>5266202
>breeding with an asari
>>
>>5266202
I'm sure that once the colony expands more species will come including humans, and trust me, if the MC acts like I think he will, he will have MANY bastard children
>>
>>5266187
Drell are not suited for life on aquatic worlds at all though. They are originally from a desert planet, and the hanar world they currently live on has led to the spread of the disease thane has
>>
>>5266214
WELL! The hannar need their slaves, or they may get uppity
>>
>>5266218
meant to reply to >>5266215
>>
File: jhx6uL1B_400x400.jpg (13 KB, 203x203)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>5266215
Oh no it is a great idea! there is now way that putting hydrophobic people in the ocean could have any negative consequences.

Trust me, i am the QM after all. I wouldn't be cruel enough to punish someone for choosing a people that suffers a life threatening disease entirely revolved around moisture. No! No way!
>>
>>5266215
Oh shit you right, in fact, they actively die from humid environments. uh maybe we can get the salrians to whip up a reverse water diving device?
Like a skinsuit that sucks and vents out unnecessary moisture?
I can't believe I mis-remembered they lived in a desert planet before. I'm such a dumbass.
>>
allright my fellows, in about 2 hours i will count the vote and we will then move on to colony placement.
>>
>>5266187
This, but replace the Drell with humans.
>>
>>5266187
>>5266244
YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REPLACE THE DRELL WITH HUMANS, I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE
>>
>>5266248
THE HANAR NEED THEIR SERVANTS!
>>
>>5266250
ANON THEY COME FROM A DESERT PLANET, THATS THE EQUIVELENT OF ME PLACING YOU IN THE SAHARRA DESERT, YOU WOULD NOT LAST A WEEK. THEY WILL DIE
>>
>>5266252
Sure they'd suffer, but why would we give a shit? They already suffer on the Hanar's world, and they're pretty much a package deal now
>>
>>5266255
And I should point out, I'm saying this because sociopath is one of the banes in the Isaac package
>>
>>5266257
That's actually a really good point...
I'm not against taking them now since we are a sociopath in that build.
>>
>>5266206
All human.
>>
Also, who else thinks a cool name for this planet would be "aqua"?
>>
>>5266264
>>5266257
So do you guys want to keep the drell? or switch it to humans?
>>
>>5266273
Keep drell pls
>>
File: troll-face.gif (554 KB, 640x562)
554 KB
554 KB GIF
>>5266285
>>
>>5266273
Switch to humans. Sociopath means efficient use of resources, not being evil for evil's sake, and putting the drell there will not be efficient at all. Just imagine their medical bills!
>>
>>5266273
Keep the drell to keep the hannar happy
>>
>>5266301
>Implying we will pay drell slaves medical bills.
No uppity drell in my colony.
>>
>>5266308
>No uppity drell in my colony.
But you're the one who wants them there!
>>
>>5266324
I was making a slavery joke anon, lol. think about it a bit more, what other race of people were slaves and also frequently described as "uppity"?
>>
>>5266336
I don't remember my xenohistory lessons very well, but I think it was a subspecies of humans, which you don't want to have in our colony/space sea plantation.
>>
allright my fellows, voting is up and it seems that >>5266187 is the winner. There has been some discussion on the topic of drell and it seems that by 1 vote more, the choice to keep the drell is what wins. Also, there is not decisive win for the name of the planet, but >>5266196 tickled my funnybone so that is what it is going to be called, unless people are against it.

Anyway, i am going to write the next update. see ya in a bit!
>>
The world below you was a great blue marble in a black sea of nothingness, simply hanging in the middle of nothing, independent from all things. This was to be your new home, your Aqua, so named because you thought it was funny and why not? If your homeworld can call itself dirt then you can call a colony “water”, doesn’t matter what its called so long as it is distinctive! right?

While standing upon the deck, you reminisce of the events that took you here, that made you the leader of a colony expedition. How you lost most of your limbs in an explosion that occurred right after you had made a trade deal with the Systems alliance military. An eco-terrorist group, if you remember correctly, were the ones behind the attack, apparantly miffed that you were selling batarian made weapons to the navy. You honestly didn’t care for them or where the weapons had come from, but them having the gall to attack you made you so very… irritated. And you remember that, just a week after having the final cybernetic placed in your body, you went and hunted down those idiots until there were none left of them.
Not literally of course, no no, although there was that one person… but no, you did not go out and literally hunt them down, rather, you pointed the systems alliance navy in the right direction and, well, “watched the fireworks”. You think it made the news somewhere…. Hmm, where was that now?

You were still in the mists of memory when your second in command called out to you, “Commander, are you ready to pick the place for our colony to drop?”. Turning towards your second, you looked over the options that were presented to you.
>>
File: Smokers.jpg (210 KB, 700x394)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>5266392
Smokers (1200 meters deep):
[] Eezo rich (a source of replenishable eezo which does not require much processing. +1 eezo when exploited)
[] Easy gas extraction (easily accessible source of rare gas, which does not run out +5 gas)
[] Abundant thermal energy (increase to raw- and refined resource extraction as well as hydroponics. +2 to raw/refined resource extraction when exploited, +1 food in hydroponics)
>>
File: Shallows.jpg (45 KB, 680x340)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>5266392
Shallows (50 meters deep):
[] Abundant food (a veritable smörgasbord of fish, greens and other ocean foodstuffs are swimming in these areas. +5 food passively and another +10 food when exploited. Can run out.)
[] Mineral veins (a certain amount of resources can be easily reached in this area. +1 raw resources. Can run out.)
[] Safe (Most megafauna on the planet seem to avoid going into the shallows, either because of their size or lack of depth pressure.)
>>
File: Canyon.jpg (271 KB, 1600x899)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>5266392
Canyon (750-? meters deep)
[] Easy expansion (It will be much easier to build the colony in this area. Removes chance of catastrophic failure when building and add 1 raw resource when building.)
[] Greater research opportunities (The canyon is the perfect place to test any engineering projects that is made. +5 engineering passively and another +5 when a dedicated lab is build.)
[] Abundant minerals (a great amount of minerals can be seen lining the great walls of the canyon. +10 raw resources when exploited. Can be upgraded.)
>>
File: Depths.jpg (62 KB, 936x518)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>5266392
Depths (6000 meters deep)
[] Eezo rich sands (The great sand plains are filled with eezo and other materials. +3 eezo and +5 raw resources when exploited. Does not run out.)
[] Titanoform observation (Great beasts roam the bottom of this place and swim in the great darkness above, allowing for great opportunities to learn their behaviors. +5 sociology/biology passively and can gain +10 biology when a dead creature falls to the depths.)
[] In the Shadows (Colony is in the depths of the oceans…. It is not going to be raided by anyone sane.)
>>
So here it is, where do you want to settle your colony?

The shallows which offer safety but less industrial and technological opportunities?

The canyon which might become a grand base of science and progress, but lacks readily available food?

The smokers, which gives great opportunities with experimenting with science and industry but may offer a hard chance to develop in conventionel ways?

Or maybe The depths, where the titans of the sea roam around and where the opportunity for grand discovories and massive eezo eploitation lies?

It is all up to you!
>>
>>5266403
So many good options...

Hmm, I would be absolutely fine with any of the options but I think
>Depths (6000 meters deep)
Would be the best for now. Might as well jump right in to the whole water planet thing and go in as far into the planet as we can, and also enzo rich sands being so massive and infinite would be a really good way to earn some good cash money. Also I like the image that one day we are getting out of our bed to see a massive space fish just looking at us through the window. Also while the space fish are great for biology, maybe we could use the parts of the fish we don't need to create our own underwater farms? Like grind them up and use them as fertilizer?
>>
>>5266409
The depths.
>>
Also I recommend listening to this while reading, it vastly improves reading the quest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXVXYl3_8c
>>
>>5266403
Depths. We can build outposts and get the resources of the other locations later.
>>
>>5266433
You very well could do that if you had a hydroponics farm and was running low on nutrients to feed it with. My thoughts on this quest is "if you could do it in real life or it makes sense in the universe we're in, then why shouldn't you be able to do it?".

If you have an idea for something and it makes sense in the universe, then i will allow it. Want to make a submarine that uses eezo as a propulsion method and keeps out the pressure? sure, it'll be expensive, but you can do it. Wanna make a diving suit that can beat a tank in duribility? you'll need to get a way to create supersolids, but else go on right ahead!
>>
File: roll.png (35 KB, 346x394)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Here is the crew manifest by the way:
[0] Human
[68] Asari
[53] Krogan
[20] Salarian
[57] Volus
[46] Turians
[0] Raloi
[0] Vorcha
[41] Drell
[13] Hanar
[0] Elcor

Morale: 50 (base) -+0 (char trait) -5 (krogan) +5 (hanar) = 50 (not great, not terrible)
Loyalty: 50 (base) +10 (char trait) -5 (salarian) +10 (drell) = 65 (as loyal as is expected)
Discipline: 50 (base) +10 (char trait) +10 (krogan) +5 (turians) = 75 (can kick ass and take names)

The rolls were not great, but they also weren't incrediably bad.
>>
>>5266403
The depths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJiMHDIrqE
>>
>>5266454
That is a very good to hear! I'm sure myself and others can come up with a few interesting ideas to make this even more interesting...

Once we get enough enzo who knows what's gonna happen, Super soldier genetics programs and all kinds of crazy shit.
>>
>>5266468
Oh shit anon, that's a banger, definitely suites the whole bottomless ocean kinda vibe we seem to have going on.
>>
>>5266459
Hm, those rolls aren't too bad, I was hoping for more Hanar and Salarians but otherwise I think we can work with this. I'm pretty happy that we at least have a decent number of Volus and Asari though.
>>
Vote closing in 30 min, then i will post another update and that will be it for today. Will post more tomorrow!
>>
>>5266409
hey, it's been a while since we had a good scifi civ quest, and ME too.
>The Depths
As a geologist, I am nonetheless very disappointed the smokers have the least mundane resource potential of all of them
>>
>>5266504
fucking racist piece of shit
>>
>>5266560
Oh, it technically has a greater potential amount of resources than any of the other options, the problem simply lies in the amount of it can accessed at one time. The smokers would give a steady 2 raw/refined resources without doing much, other than collecting the smoke that they spew. The only reason that the depths has that much raw resources is because of the special quality the planet has, since it is rich in rare minerals. The canyon is a fault line that allows easy access to raw resources, but requires infrastructure to mine it and the refine it, if you want refined resources, which isn't needed with the smokers since they passively spew refined resources.
>>
Allright, vote closed and it seems the depths won with unanimous voting

Looking over the options, you think of where the best place would be and quickly find an answer. The depths is where you will begin your great adventure.

Though it will be more difficult to acquire resources from the ocean surface and growing food is a challenge in itself, the opportunity to reach a source of eezo greater than most places could dream of is too good a bargain to dismiss. Signaling to your second in command, you point to a suitable location on the map where the colonies' prefab settlements can be dropped and slowly submerged into the sea. The coming hours are going to be difficult ones and you know in your mind that if there is even one failure during this, you may risk the lives of several of your assets.

>Roll 1d100 (Bo3)

(Don’t worry, the placement of the colony is going to be fine, this roll is for something entirely different.)
>>
>>5266574
Whoops, forgot my tag!
>>
Rolled 8 (1d100)

>>5266574
>>
File: Spoiler Image (726 KB, 760x1020)
726 KB
726 KB PNG
>>5266574
Mystery rollz you say?
>>
Rolled 5 (1d100)

>>5266574
is it under or over
>>
Rolled 1 (1d100)

>>5266577
and I forgot to do my mystery roll like a pillock
>>
>>5266578
Higher is better.... though in this case lower is more intriguing
>>
>>5266579
>>5266574

please by god say under
>>
>>5266577
>8, 5 and 1
.....I reiterate pic related
>>
File: Spoiler Image (22 KB, 274x320)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>5266576
>>5266578
>>5266579

Oh, wow.

I.... wow... well then, things are going to be intriguing!
>>
File: IMG_8066.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>5266580
everyone ded
>>
>>5266584
I bet it was the fucking drell. They'll get half rations for this!
>>
>>5266579

The submerging of the colony goes better than you expected! The weather on the planet was unusually calm and there were no uncontrollable water pressure or water currents dragging at the prefabs. All in all, you would rate this as being one of the best operations that you have ever performed in your lifetime. This is to be celebrated!

“Liliana, go fetch us some of that krogan drink, ryncol i believe it’s called? We are going to celebrate this!”, smiling, your second in command goes out to fetch your drinks while you take a seat and relax in your chair, content in a job well done.

Wait, are you in that unscannable sector?

And so, the colony has arrived in the depths.... the depths of the Maw in Time that is. Things are going to be interesting!

But! this is all for tonight, i will continue the quest after i have had some sleep and am once more fresh
>>
>>5266594
Hey, extra protection! Raiders, smugglers and battarian supremacists won't even know we're here
>>
>>5266598

Ithink what i wrote in>>5266151 is very prophetic for what you are now about to face.

>Physics: Out exploring and you find a hole in time and space where the whispers of a thousand dead gods echo out into the eternal void of space and mind? You go to the physics department and tell them to solve it.
>>
>>5266600
the song I linked earlier is suddenly much more applicable
>>
>>5266602
It is almost like it was all predestined...
>>
>>5266594
Does that mean no fancy scifithingymabobwidget scanners? Time to break out the ol' SONAR beacon methinks.
>>
>>5266611
leviathan tiem
>>
>>5266615
ping ping motherfucker
>>
>>5266594
You sit in your chair and stare out on to the holographic map of Aqua in front of you, praying that what it is showing you is just a glitch and not reality.
….
….
The map has not changed and Liliana has now returned with your drinks, still smiling and unknown of the potential danger that you all might be in. “Here commander, i found your requested alcohol, though i will have to decline it myself. As you know, most things don’t agree with my people.” she says all this, in her sweet saccharine voice, telling you what you already know. Of course she can’t drink it, she is quarian, but it had become a bit of a joke between you that you would drink ryncol whenever a good thing happened. To have some bad with the good, even though now, you very much need all the good you can get.

“Liliana,” you say, finally looking away from the map “We have a problem.”

*20 min later*

“So we have no way of knowing where in the unscannable zone we have landed?”
“No commander, none of our equipment is able to detect anything. Not the volumetric scanners, the gravitaic scanners, not even our cameras are able to detect anything, though that maybe because we are so deep in the ocean” Liliana says, nervousness now tinting her every word.
“Do we atleast have any good news?” you ask and to this, she peps up.
“Yes commander! We are still able to hear sounds beyond the prefabs, so it seems like that any sonic equipment we have might be able to scan our surroundings” You are happy to hear this, but immediately see a flaw “But we don’t have any sound scanning” and immediately, Liliana once more loses her pep, “No commander, we don’t.”.

Well then, it seems that there is only one thing for you to do.

[] Ignore the situation for now, insuring that the colony can survive is our top priority.
[] Make some dedicated SONAR and see how the landscape is, maybe you will find something?
[] Write-in: (Any ideas?)
>>
>>5266626

I couldn't fall asleep on this kind of a cliffhanger so i wrote a bit more..... aaaaahhhhh, i should stop.
>>
>>5266626
>[] Make some dedicated SONAR and see how the landscape is, maybe you will find something?
Begin operation ping chillin
>>
>>5266626
[] Make some dedicated SONAR and see how the landscape is, maybe you will find something?
Otherwise we're blind, and that puts the survival of the colony at unacceptable risk. Quarians can get on it.
Side note, when are we in the ME timeline out of curiosity?
>>
>>5266657
far enough to engage in hij.. I mean envirosuit coitus
>>
>>5266626
>Make some dedicated SONAR and see how the landscape is, maybe you will find something?
>>
>>5266626
>[] Make some dedicated SONAR and see how the landscape is, maybe you will find something?

Holy shit I go to bed for a few hours and when I come back I see some of the shittiest rolls known to man lmao. Oh well, at least this makes things more interesting!!
>>
>>5266626
If the resources are too much to do so I would rather put it off for a while and focus more on survival
>>
>>5266626
>[] Ignore the situation for now, insuring that the colony can survive is our top priority.
>>
>>5266657
You are in 2165 CE
>>
Telling Liliana to get the engineers you have to build the strongest SONAR they can, you begin to make plans for the future. There will be confusion and probably panic among the crew, but once you have the lay of the ground… well, ocean. Then things should hopefully stabilise and make sure that your crew doesn’t do anything stupid, like independently exploring a new and dangerous planet… oh, this is going to be a challenge.

(Where in the world is carmen sandiego? = -5 morale until your location has been explored)

Returning back to matters that are more important than your errant thoughts, you look over the different kind of vehicles that you can construct with the assets that you have.

Current units:

3 Builder suit(s) (small)
2 Builder submarine(s) (medium)

Unit schematics:

Submarine explorer(small)
Build cost= 5 refined
Depth= 0-6500 meters

Harvester(small)
Build cost= 10 refined
Depth= 0-6500 meters

Eezo harvester(large)
Build cost= 50 refined
Depth= 0-8500 meters

Builder suit(small)
Build cost= 2 refined
Depth= 0-9000 meters (WARNING: may be unsafe at 5000 meters or more)

Builder submarine(medium)
Build cost= 40 refined
Depth= 0-8000 meters

Mobile Observatory, Bio-Institute and University; Submersible ((M.O.B.I.U.S)titanic)
Produces= +5 biology/sociology + unique events/opportunities
Build cost= 200 refined, 40 gas, 10 eezo
Depth= 0-12000 meters (technically capable of space travel, it lacks a dedicated FTL core)

Seeing the unit manifest and what schematics you have currently, you also look at the notes you have on the amount of resources you have stockpiled for this:

Stock:
Food= 100
Ammenities= 20
Refined resources= 200
Gas= 50
Eezo= 10

Wincing, you can’t help but feel that some cruel god is having fun at your situation, forcing you to use resources that should have been used to make your colony self-reliant, but it is what it is. You must simply make sure that after all this is doen, you build up your infrastructure as best you can with the means that you have.

[] what do you do?

and so the quest for knowledge of where the fuck you are, begins!
>>
>>5266849
Important to note: a (small) builder can build (small) or (medium) units/buildings, while a (medium) builder can build (medium), (large) and (titanic). The last type of builder (large), which you currently lack, can build (large), (titanic) and (proto) size units/buildings.

Later on when we get to building infrastructure and such, there will be buildings that can make even grander size units, but that is still some time in the future.

Oh and FYI, the income mechanic will be prevelant after you have solved this crisis, right now you can assume that everyone as decided to hunker down and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. Also, if you run out of material in your stockpile, you can send units out to scavenge for materials. it won't be much, but it will be something.
>>
>>5266849
>build
4 Sub Explorers
4 harvesters
5 suits
1 builder submarine

remember the timezone problem
>>
>>5266849
I'm assuming each builder can build one thing per turn?
>Build: 2x submarine explorer
They'll be on headlamps and cameras only so no expeditions, but they can get the lie of the immediate vicinity of the base to make sure we aren't about to tip over a cliff or something and be ready for when we have the pinger to hand. Also oof, that's close to crush depth, we'll need something better if we want to go into the trenches or any deep abyssal caves or tunnels.
>Build: 1x Builder Submarine
>Build: 2x Harvester
To get a supply of Stuff, not sure of how much they actually produce and what extra kit is needed to refine it.
I also have a couple of other ideas - either for now or later - a mobile seismic reflectivity array and a number of light-posts. Since our gravimetric and fancier sensors don't work in this Aqua Triangle, we're going to need to keep going back to basics to see what's underground, especially if we want to find gas reservoirs or caves, which SR can do. And light-posts that we can scatter around the vicinity of the base to illuminate the area, since I think it would be healthy for morale if people look out the window and see lights, rocks and sand instead of just the inky void.
By the way, how do we get more schematics? Do we have to RnD them ourselves? Buy them? Something else?
>>
>>5266882
>By the way, how do we get more schematics? Do we have to RnD them ourselves? Buy them? Something else?

You get schematics by basically telling me what you would like to have, for example an actual u-boat with torpedoes or a functioning surface to orbit ship, and then i will add a cost to it and you can build it. also, when you ask to buid something, assume that it is build as quickly as you can do it (ie. there are not "true" turns, so shit gets built as would be narratively appropriate), the same goes for income and resource gathering/production, all of it is more hinged in the narrative world than any form of turn-based system. The reason behind this is i think it would be weird if it would take you a single turn (a day or something like it) to build something that, in all fairness, you could do in an hour or which would take you a week to do.

This might make things a bit different than other quests, but it should also make it more interesting narratively. As an example, if you were running a deficit in food, then there wouldn't simply instantly be a famine "next turn", rather your crew would act as according to your morale/discipline/loyalty and go about their day. If they had a high morale and loyalty, but low discipline, then they might institute a ration program, but fail to maintain it, while if they had high loyalty and discipline, they could maintain it, but would be unhappy about it and suffer in their capabilities to work.
>>
Actually, here is the log for your income situation right now:

Food production= fulfills needs
Amenities= fulfills needs
raw resource extraction= N/A
refined resource production= minimal
gas extraction= N/A
Consumer goods production= Halted (in crisis)
Manpower= Abundant
>>
>>5266897
PS, the only reason why the units now have a specific cost to them (40 refined, insted of just refined) is just to make it easier for you guys to make a plan on what you want to immediately build and use. After this, the cost wil be more abstract and say "requires refined resources, gas and eezo" and when you want to build it, it will be started by the builders who can work on it.
>>
>>5266900
Also, here is a small explanation for what the various things mean:

Minimal = near no production

Crisis= -10 or less
Great need= -5 to -9
A moderate need= -2 to -4
A lack= -1
Fulfills needs= 0
A small surplus= +1
A great surplus= +2 to +4
A overwhelming surplus= +5 to +9
Abundant= +10 or more

When you build something, be that hydroponics or something else related to your income, i will see what size the building is and then calculate a number on that and then put it into your income. So, a (small)hydroponics might make you have a small surplus of food, while a (large)hydroponics would give you a overwhelming surplus. Do note, that the bigger you build things, the more narrative time it will take to complete, but they will also be able to produce much more than smaller ones. Economies of scale and all that.

This isn't the only way you could improve your income of course, just building dedicated transit systems for your industry could help increase your income. You could also mandate it to be common practice among your workers to link every relevant industry together to speed up their production or their output capability.

If you can think it and it would make sense, then it can be done and implemented.
>>
>>5266897
In that case, I'll amend >>5266882 to queue up an additional 1 of each specified. In regards to the extra items, what am I looking at with those? A seismic reflectivity array is basically a long string of acoustic receivers on the ground or sea surface plus a device to produce a small shockwave, basically ground-penetrating sonar.
While I'm a it, in terms of facilities, what do we have right now? I presume we have some living quarters, a reactor, some storerooms and a submarine hangar of some kind at least.
>>
>>5266914
Currently, your colony has 1 prefab arcology that is capable of fulfilling the food and amenity needs of 1000 people (though it cant make a surplus, only fulfill) so there should be no worry in the immediate future, when it comes to your required needs. In this arcology is also a automated alloying and forging complex that can supply you with and overwhelming surplus of refined resources and can help construct (small) and (medium) units, so long as there are builders nearby building things. When it comes to storage of resources, then that is a non-issue for you, since most of the arcology is not filled and building warehouses under the sea is not an issue. Power is a bit different as it is currently a decentralized system, but you can generally ignore it and simply assume that everything gets power from their own dedicated reactors. If you want, you can make a centralized energy grid that feeds off of a dedicated reactor complex, which would have some benefits but also some downsides. If there is any other thing that a self contained and self-sufficient arcology would logically have, then simply assume it is there when making plans for it (ie. an arcology in a water world would have a submarine hangar, but one in a desert wouldn't.).
>>
>>5266576
>>5266578
>>5266579
I'm actually impressed with how shit these rolls are.
>>
>>5266849
BUILD
>2 Submarine Explorer
>2 Harvester
>1 Eezo Harvesters
>>
>>5266882
+1 to this plan of action.
>>
Just to keep everyone updated, the vote will close in 2 days and then i will write as much as i can.

Also, would you guys like to immediately explore the area if you build some explorer submarine(s)?
>>
>>5268321
Yeah, sounds fun!
>>
>>5268321
Yes, so long as we don't roll another 1 and get eaten by the Kraken.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (168 KB, 1920x1080)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>5268347
Don't worry, the krakens aren't the most dangerous thing on this planet.
>>
>>5268321
Yes exploring would be good.
>>
allright, vote is now closed and it seems that >>5266882 is the winner with 2 votes.

Now then, roll 1d100!!

(Bo3 = Higher is better)
>>
Rolled 93 (1d100)

>>5270984
Im exited for this quest
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>5270984
inb4 another 1
>>
File: Spoiler Image (3 KB, 318x159)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>5271007
Exited huh? well here you go:

Nice roll btw.
>>
File: Nice.jpg (1004 KB, 2048x1536)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
>>5271007
>>5271087
>>5271089

Well, we din't get a 1, which is a shame but i think a 93 i okay too!
>>
Allright, so i am going to write the update as quickly as i possibly can, though i can't guarantee that it will be out to day.
>>
>>5271143
I'll be honest, rolling a 1 isn't so bad if the QM can make critical failures interesting, like being presented with a new and unique challenge instead of "everything explodes", which is a pet peeve I have with quests in general. Same with critical successes.
>>
okay, so this isn't the greatest feeling in the world, but i think i will have to stope the quest in its infancy. Basically, some shit happened in my real life that i have to focus on, so i am sorry, but i don't think i will have the time QM'ing.
>>
>>5272068
That's fine, if shit happens, it happens. You can always decide to pick up the quest again or restart it whenever you are ready to.
>>
>>5272068
the Curse strikes again. Sucks for all involved, but thanks for letting us know instead of just disappearing. We'll still be around if you do a redux version at a later date or something.
>>
>>5272068
Aww dang. I hoped this would go somewhere after just finding this quest.

Maybe write everything down as a Save State archive it and when you have time again pick the Quest back up again.

I hope everything works out for you
>>
boo, hiss, etc.
>>
>>5272068
Thanks for running.
>>
>>5272068
Good luck with the unexpected, time-consuming events in your life, QM.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.