[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 11qmmm.jpg (82 KB, 890x584)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
You do not feel anything at first, it is as if you were asleep. At first, a few whispers of consciousness form within your mind, you begin to regain your self-awareness. A split second later you begin to feel the ashes scorching the insides of your lungs. Then, the rest of your body's pain. That is when you remember, when you realize what has happened, when you wake up. Varanash, your home village has been attacked. You are pinned under the debris of what used to be your house and the mind begins to wonder "Who attacked us? How and why? And are those responsible still out there?"
Before any other questions are asked, you decide to try and move. It doesn't seem like your injuries are too serious so it is time to dig yourself out of the rubble. Shouldn't be too hard for a
>human
>dwarf
>elf
such as yourself.
As you push through, you are reminding yourself who your are and why you will not simply lay down and wait for death's embrace.
>a Knight of the Kingdom of Solis, stationed here as a guard
>a promising pupil of the Magus Council, who took time off his studies of the arcane
>a humble villager, nothing more than an ordinary farmer
>a Thief with a heart of gold, playing his tricks on the nobles so he may share their wealth with the poor
Your name is...
>Write-in
>>
>>5009739
>>human

>>a Knight of the Kingdom of Solis, stationed here as a guard

>Your name is...

Sir Oswin
>>
>>5009739
>Dwarf
>humble villager, nothing more than a simple miner with an ancient family pickaxe that will never break striking stone.
>Your name is Horbald Two-Stones
>>
>>5009739
>>5009751
Supporting
>>
>>5009751
>>5009838
Sir Oswin of the house of Harbold manages to free himself from the rubble. As you inspect your surroundings, you are shocked to see that the entire village has been pillaged. The houses have been seemingly bombarded, the town hall lays in ruin and even the fields have been razed. A dragon's attack would have simply burned the houses and the unlucky few who were on the streets. What caused this? What could have struck so swiftly while managing to cause such devastation. You look through the rubble and retrieve your...
>Sword and Shield
>Poleaxe
>Warhammer
>Write-In
>>
>>5010293
>>Sword and Shield
>>
>>5010379
You manage to retrieve your sword and your shield. The leather tunic you were wearing when your house was hit is shredded and your linen breeches aren't in better shape but other than some cuts and bruises you are fine. You reason that a blow to the head must have knocked you out for a couple minutes. Looking around, at the city you were sent to protect, the people you were meant to guard, buried under the devastation you are filled with sorrow and begin to wonder if this was an isolated attack or if the perpetrators attacked other nearby villages or maybe even Solis itself...
>Head into the village and look for survivors
>Leave the village and try to reach the capital of Solis (short journey)
>>
>>5010432
>>Head into the village and look for survivors

We must do our duty
>>
>>5010432
>Head into the village
Not sure about our moral code, but its better to help people than to not help them.
>>
>>5010474
>>5010509
You follow the main road deeper into the village. Your shield is sporting the Solis emblem of a stylized sun so you are not worried about potential survivors confusing you for a malevolent warrior.
"Is anybody here?! Can you hear me?!"
As you are marching along the blasted road you spot the corpses of several villagers as well as a few human remains. It seems you were lucky that you were stationed at the edge of the settlement, as those at the center felt the brunt of the attack.
"I may have been caught off-guard. But by all that is holy, I will not fail these people! There must be others alive! It's impossible! I can't be the only one left alive!" you exclaim in your thoughts.
As you are nearing town hall, you think you hear something and slow your pace.
"Hello? Who was that? I can help! Just say something if you can hear me!"
There's no mistaking it. There is a voice, it sounds like a scream, or perharps a cry, however it is not coming from the direction you were headed, it is coming from a side road to your left.
>head down the road to the left
>keep going towards the center in the hopes of finding a fellow knight or the mayor
>ask again if there is anybody alive nearby
>>
>>5010518
>>head down the road to the left
>>
>>5010518
>>head down the road to the left
>>
>>5010545
>>5010676
You head down the left path and before long, a dilapidated shack reveals itself amongst the ruins. It managed to stay intact because it was built in the shadow of a bigger house. As you are rushing towards it, the cries become clearer. Inside the shack you find a small boy. He is about 8 or 9 years old, by your assumption, and is lying on the floor in the fetal position, facing away from the door.
"It's alright!" you proclaim "I'm here to help, you're going to be fine." you say as you turn the boy over to face you.
Examining his body, you notice that debris hit his right leg and abdomen. His body is frail and skinny, no doubt he worked the fields. He has black slick hair and brown eyes, currently covered in tears. Your presence doesn't seem to inspire trust or relief as the boy continues to scream at the top of his lungs.
"Please! Help me!" he cries out.
You manage to calm the boy down. His screams finally stop, although he is still sobbing and tears are constantly flowing from his face.
"It still hurts..." the boy whimpers.
After getting him to stand up, you ask him: "Can you walk on your own?"
The boy attempt to take a step and puts weight on his injured right leg, immediately causing him to let out a yelp followed by more crying.
"It's fine. Here, grab on." you say as you pick up the boy and exit the shack.
Once outside, the boy begins to calm down. You pick up your shield, as you left it at the entrance and that is when you first hear the boy speak in his normal voice, without the shrill crying.
"My mum and pa. I want my mum and pa."
You realise that his parents were either in the main house or out on the street. Either way, it is unlikely that they survived as you haven't ran into anyone else alive on your way over to the boy.
>"They made it out just fine..." you say as you move in order to block the boy's view of the destroyed house "...in fact they are the ones who sent me here to look for you. You'll see them again once we make it out of here."
>"Young man, I am sorry, but the truth is I don't know what might have happened to your parents. I don't think you'll see them again but you must be brave and strong and hold back your sorrow for now. I will make sure you do not share their fate."
As you say this, you
>head to the outskirts of the village, it is time to leave and get the kid medical help
>go back to the main road and look for more survivors, there could be others in need
While walking you hear the boy muttering
"My name is ..."
>Write-in
>>
>>5010787
>>"Young man, I am sorry, but the truth is I don't know what might have happened to your parents. I don't think you'll see them again but you must be brave and strong and hold back your sorrow for now. I will make sure you do not share their fate."

>go back to the main road and look for more survivors, there could be others in need
>>
>>5011294
Support
>>
>>5011294
>>5011331
(Since nobody suggested a name for the kid, we'll go with Jack.)

As you head back to the main road, Jack is sobbing uncontrollably, he is keeping his voice down, as per your request, but knowing he lost his parents makes him unconsolable.
"How are you holding up, Jack?" you ask as softly as you can, but the boy doesn't answer. Before long, you reach the small square at the center of the village. Town Hall is blasted to smithereens. You let Jack down in order to investigate the devastated site. Strangely, you discover that a crater has formed so whatever hit you, must have hit here at full power, but based on what you saw, it seems like, as the blast spread, it targeted people and buildings, some being demolished by sheer force of impact, others burned. You begin to suspect this may be dark magic at work.
>"Damn it! This was no ordinary attack! No mortal weapon could have caused this..." you say as you turn back to Jack "You hear, child? It's a miracle we were left mostly unharmed. Lucky us..."
>"Hey! Can anybody hear me?! Anyone here survived?! Anyone still alive?!" you shout as you dig through the wreckage as a last attempt to find anyone else alive.
>>
>>5011548
>>"Hey! Can anybody hear me?! Anyone here survived?! Anyone still alive?!" you shout as you dig through the wreckage as a last attempt to find anyone else alive.
>>
>>5011548
>"Hey! Can anybody hear me?! Anyone here survived?! Anyone still alive?!" you shout as you dig through the wreckage as a last attempt to find anyone else alive.

Let's not add to the kids trauma now.
>>
>>5011548
>>"Hey! Can anybody hear me?! Anyone here survived?! Anyone still alive?!" you shout as you dig through the wreckage as a last attempt to find anyone else alive.

Fucking sorcerers
>>
>>5011558
>>5011689
>>5011783
You remove brick after brick, burnt piece of wood after another until you discover Captain Murdoch, your superior, under the rubble. He seems fine at first glance, leaning over him you even hear faint breathing.
"Captain! Wake up, captain! Can you hear me?!" you ask as you softly slap his face.
You try to budge the pine support beam that has Murdoch pinned so you can pull him out of there, however in doing so you discover that the only thing left of your captain is his upper body. He was essentially severed in half. You feel every ounce of strength you had left leave your body and you are just abou to collapse at such a dsiheartening sight when suddenly, Captain Murdoch springs to life and grabs your arm. His grip is bone crushing and his sudden awakening sends chills down your spine.
"Lad.." the weakened man whispers, his face pale and exhausted.
"Captain..." you think to tell him that you will help or that he can still be saved but such empty promises would only sour his final moments "...what happened here? Did you see anything?"
"Dark flames...surrounded us *coughs blood* tore us asunder... all of us hmmm...except for her--" He said, with his voice fading away. Now, he is dead.
His hand is still tightly gripping your forearm. You close the captain's eyes and unclench his hand.
>Cry
>Rise above his corpse and swear vengeance on your life, swear to bring those responsible to justice
>Place a makeshift cross at the site and leave silently

(Sorry for being so inactive, real life is a mess right now, how do you guys prefer your combat encounters? More video game style or more like a tabletop game?)
>>
>>5012173
>>Rise above his corpse and swear vengeance on your life, swear to bring those responsible to justice
>>
>>5012173
>>Place a makeshift cross at the site and leave silently
>>
>>5012173
>>Place a makeshift cross at the site and leave silently
No making vows of vengence under the influence.

>how do you guys prefer your combat encounters?
No prefrence from me. I defult to 3d20's but I'm always up for something new.
>>
>>5012322
>>5012372
After turning your back on the man's remains, the smoke clears and the ash clouds are parted by the first ray of sun you see today, shining over your improvised cross. At the sight of this, you can't help but feel a sliver of hope in your heart. Soon enough it will be dusk, however, so you grab Jack and head out.
>Follow the road to the capital, Solis
>Traverse the woods to the nearby village of Reds'hill
>>
>>5013167
>>Traverse the woods to the nearby village of Reds'hill
>>
>>5013167
>>Traverse the woods to the nearby village of Reds'hill

We should first see if any of the neighbouring villages have been attacked as well.
>>
>>5013278
Oh boy are you in for a surprise
>>
>>5013233
>>5013278
You begin the uphill journey to Reds'hill, following a small stream of water. You've never been there before but heard it was a small settlement that was known for a few farms and above all else, its beautiful gardens which feature gorgeous red roses, often used by nobility to adorn their properties. After a few minutes of walking, you begin to feel your exhaustion catching up to you. Luckily, the feeling of tiredness quickly goes away as you spot someone laying on the ground in front of you. Rushing over to that person's aid you discover it is a dwarf. He's not in great shape but you can tell he is definently alive. He is visibly and audibly breathing. Suddenly, you recall one of your fellow guards mentioning a "dwarf blacksmith" back in Varanash. Could he have been blasted all the way here and survived?
>"Pfft! Typical dwarf! He must have gotten good and drunk and wandered here to safety before passing out."
>Attempt to wake him up
>>
>>5013297
>>Attempt to wake him up
>>
>>5013297
>>Attempt to wake him up

Sleeping outside's not good for your health.
>>
>>5013297
>>Attempt to wake him up
>>
>>5013671
>>5013324
>>5013317
The dwarf opens his eyes and lets out a moan as if he was in pain.
"Oi, oi, oi, lad. Thanks fer tha help but me head feels like after two days and two nigh's at tha tavern. Wha happun 'ere?"
As he stands up, you notice he is surprisingly well dressed, although his fine clothes are now torn and in some places even burnt. His face doesn't look too old by your standards, but you are aware that a dwarf's lifespan can even reach over 200 years so you are unsure of his age. His long beard and moustache are light blonde and his hair is short and spiky, looking almost white in the setting sun. You introduce yourself and Jack. The dwarf announces with pride that his name is Girbek Flatstone. After you are done explaining to him what happened, his expression turns sour.
"Cursed lands these be!" he mutters in a frustrated tone.
He recounts you his tale and explains that he's somewhat of a travelling blacksmith. He knows how to work a forge but could never settle somewhere. He knows Solis well, as he spent the last 2 years there, and only moved to the small village about a week ago.
"I'll be ahnest with ya'. I didn't had time ta grow too close ta me fellow humans, but to see such destruction... It's harsh. I guess tis' a testament of me stoutness. Instead o' bein' blasted on tha spot I got blown away 'ere!"
>Ask Girbek to take Jack and head back to Solis as you head to Reds'hill to check on the people there
>Ask Girbek to join you on your way to Reds'hill
>"Very convenient that you were blasted so far out. You sure you didn't have anything to do with this?!"
>>
>>5014050
>>Ask Girbek to join you on your way to Reds'hill

Probably best we stick together
>>
>>5014050
>>Ask Girbek to join you on your way to Reds'hill
>>
>>5014066
>>5014489
The sun has almost completely set. Darkness has begun to engulf your group. As you approach the village, you notice the ground is somewhat muddy and moist. As you approach the village, you feel a chill.
"Perhaps the chill of night?" you think to yourself.
This mere cold weather isn't enough to stop you three. In the distance, you spot a few shimmering lights. The glittering of candles and lanterns, perhaps? Could this mean that Reds'hill is safe? Maybe they even know more about the attack? Before you reach the village however, it is getting colder and colder and an unnatural darkness seems to creep up from every crack and shadow along the path. Suddenly, you hear footsteps in front of you. Fast ones. And you feel something moving, creeping in the night. Before you can react to that however, a terrifying growl is heard...
>Ask Girbek if he saw anything, assuming dwarves are better at seeing in the dark
>Ask Girbek to watch Jack as you unsheath your sword and equip your shield, leading the way
>"Hey! Who goes there?! Who are you?!" you shout.
>>
>>5014560
>>Ask Girbek to watch Jack as you unsheath your sword and equip your shield, leading the way
>>
>>5014560
>>Ask Girbek to watch Jack as you unsheath your sword and equip your shield, leading the way
>>
File: worgenwei.jpg (33 KB, 580x307)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>5014643
>>5014751
You lead the way for the group, bravely charging forward. As you leave the shadows provided by the trees and enter a clearing lit by the fresh moonlight, you spot the black shade jumping in your path. It appears to be... a wolf of some sort. It is considerably bigger than any wolf you've ever seen before and it's posture is also off. You and the creature lock eyes and the beast immediately begins to snarl and growl menacingly.
>Yell at Girbek to run away as fast as he can.
>Retreat.
>Fight.
>Lower your sword slightly and attempt to soothe the beast

(How do you guys feel about combat rolls for attacks being expressed as percentages to determine the effectiveness of an attack? So for example rolling a 3 on a d100, means 3% which is bad, but rolling a 3 on a d4, would mean 75% which is pretty good. You start off with big dice and get smaller as the story unfolds and you get stronger? Is that a good idea or is it too convoluted?)kkwmd
>>
>>5016617
>Lower your sword slightly and attempt to soothe the beast
>>
>>5016617
>>Fight.
>>
>>5016617
>>Fight
>>
>>5016681
>>5016855
You attack the beast with courage. At first you don't really commit your strikes, and hope to scare the beast into retreating, however the wolf doesn't run away, instead carefully avoiding your attacks, never giving an inch more than needed. You throw a few more vertical cuts before feeling unease. Fear is creeping up on you as you realise that the hunter has become the hunted. The wolf has been luring you closer only because he now gained the high ground. For a moment, you lose your balance, and in the split second it takes you to regain your footing, the beast launches into the air, its claws and teeth aimed at your throat.
"That proves it!" you think to yourself "He's no ordinary wild wolf. He planned his attack and used the terrain against me! I have never seen such a cunning display from an animal!"
You only have your reflexes and your will to survive to relie on in this moment.
>Shield Bash (use your shield to block the attack, stunning the beast as it slams against the hardened steel, roll 1d20)
>Side Step (you outspeed the wolf, dodging out of the way, and positioning yourself for a perfect counter offensive, roll 1d20)
>Heroic Strike (slash at your opponent for maximum damage with all your might, roll 1d40)
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>5016874
>>Shield Bash (use your shield to block the attack, stunning the beast as it slams against the hardened steel, roll 1d20)
>>
>>5016874
>>Shield Bash (use your shield to block the attack, stunning the beast as it slams against the hardened steel, roll 1d20)
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>5016874
>>
>>5017116
I can tell we'll have fun on this journey :))
>>
>>5016950
You raise your shield high to meet the beast's fangs. In an ironic twist of fate, your shield is sporting an emblem of the sun, yet you are under the full power and influence of the night now. The shield manages to stop the beast, however your posture was still imperfect and you underestimated the canine's speed and agility. Using the momentum and forces at contact with the shield, the wolf moves his relentless claws, and manages to scratch your left eye before it is repelled. Girbek would jump to your aid, but you both sense that this beast is just waiting for an opportunity to snatch the young boy. You are momentarily kneeling and panting from the pain. Your visibility is hindered and you are now bleeding.
>Attempt to retreat
>Stand your ground. Keep fighting.
>>
>>5017181
>>Stand your ground. Keep fighting.

Deus vult?
>>
>>5017181
>>Stand your ground. Keep fighting.

We are a knight.
>>
>>5017186
>>5017595
You scream in agony as you cover your wound. There is no time to assess the damage done, however. The beast seems ready for another bout. This time you decide to initiate the attack.
>Shield Bash (Charge at the foul creature with your shield at the front, slamming it for little damage, but stunning your opponent; roll 1d20)
>Position (Position yourself for the perfect attack or counterattack and assume the perfect posture, ensuring your next move will deal crippling damage; roll 1d10; disadvantage for currently being blind in one eye)
>Heroic Strike (Charge at the foul creature with your sword ready for a devastating diagonal slice; roll 1d40)
>>
Rolled 19 (1d40)

>>5018473
>>Heroic Strike (Charge at the foul creature with your sword ready for a devastating diagonal slice; roll 1d40)
>>
>>5018483
Your attack manages to slice off the wolf's right leg. The creature instantly whimpers and collapses. It begins to shiver and you notice that despite being wounded it is not losing blood. Instead, what appears to be a yellow, fluorescent fluid is pouring out of its wounds. The beast's body begins to contort in strange ways and produces howls unlike any you've ever heard before. You begin to question your sanity as you decide to strike down the monster before it has a chance to recover. This time, you are close enough to aim a clean head strike.
>roll 1d100 (you're still blind in one eye)
>>
Rolled 62 (1d100)

>>5019536
>>
>>5019675
A split second after you raise your sword, the beast's body begins to rapidly expand, like a blister of evil. You feel your soul leave your body...
"For Solis!" you exclaim, as you put your whole heart into the strike.
Suddenly, the fall of a nearby leaf grinds to a halt. The fiend's yellow blood that has been squirting chaotically, freezes mid air. Even the moon light itself seems to perform a bizzare and slow, winding dance. In the rush of the moment, adrenaline coursed through your body. Do or die, live or perish, your survival instincts take over. Using your chance while time is slowed, you perform a vicious blow, rending the canine in half.
And so, you find yourself standing in the darkened field. Sword in hand, behind you the remains of a corrupted body, decaying.
"I feel dizzy and tired. My body is weakened. I probably lost more blood than I thought and I can't feel the left side of my face, the side that was wounded." you think to yourself, however the words that come out of your mouth are different.
"It's over! We're safe." you growl.
Girbek rushes to your aid, holding Jack just as you fall to your knees from exhaustion.
"Easy, lad. I be no healer. This is not tha kind o' work I usually do."
The dwarf and the boy stand over you. Not too long ago, you reached out to save them and now it seems they will have to return the favor. You close your eyes. As you do that, your ears pick up a sound. It's distant, but getting closer.
>Try to get up. Call upon the Gods to give you strength and fight your own limits to just turn towards whatever is approaching you.
>Between your tired gasps you say "Alright Girbek, now you handle this while I watch over Jack."
>>
>>5020025
>>Try to get up. Call upon the Gods to give you strength and fight your own limits to just turn towards whatever is approaching you.
>>
>>5020027
You feel the strain of this most herculean task. You were already in a weakened state, but after such an intense fight and sustaining an inury, minor as it may be, even standing up feels like a mighty testament to your will. You feel as if you are rising higher than ever before, as if you are even soaring above the ground, flying even. In reality, you are so weakened that you barely manage to raise your head. Girbek notices your efforts and decides to protect your pride. The cunning dwarf discreetly props you upward, without even you noticing. As you "get up" you see riders approaching you. And not just any riders. The Holy Royal Vanguard of Solis is here. In other words, your superiors have come to the rescue.
"Better late than never..." you think to yourself.
The men brought medics with them however they are staring at you like they've just seen a ghost.
"I can't believe we actually found survivors!" one of them says.
The men quickly divide their efforts and give aid to you and Jack. They seem to care less about Girbek the dwarf. Not that he'd care, anyways. From his point of view, this is no worse than a bad hangover. You explain to a guard what you've been through. The man reassures you that everything is fine and that you will live. They put your group on horses and prepare to return to the kingdom.
>"Wait! Sirs, we were on our way to Reds'hill. It's not far and we should make sure the people there are safe."
>"Please get us to Solis as fast as possible."
>Write-In
>>
>>5021126
>>"Wait! Sirs, we were on our way to Reds'hill. It's not far and we should make sure the people there are safe."
>>
>>5021246
"Didja think we were sent to patrol the woods, boy?" one of the knights replies.
"If you ask me, you're lucky you didn't make it there at all..." he continued.
As you ride off, you catch a glimpse of Reds'hill in the distance. There are more guards stationed there. It's like a small army is marching around the small town. Your vision is blurry, the city seems enveloped in darkness and soon enough, you pass out.
>Think of protecting the people that are still alive before passing out
>Think of avenging those that died before you pass out
>>
>>5022514
>>Think of protecting the people that are still alive before passing out
>>
>>5022867
Eventually everything fades to black. Quiet sets in. When you wake up, there is only darkness. You feel yourself being conscious and you feel your body, however there is only darkness and silence when you come to. You try to move around and discover you are on a small bed of sorts. You figure out that your face is wrapped in bandages hence why you couldn't see.
>attempt to take off bandages
>call out for anyone nearby
>>
>>5023883
>>call out for anyone nearby
>>
>>5024057
"Anybody there?" you ask, firmly.
The response comes as loud bashing noises followed by a feminine "Oh, my goodness!"
You then hear the sound of quick, clumsy footsteps. Your bandages are removed and you take notice of the dark room you are in. To your right is your physician, she shies away from you initially. She looks surprisingly young so you assume she is a nurse. You can make out some of her features. She has long, blonde hair, hazel eyes, a round face that you find cute in a way and seems to be about your height.
>flirt
>ask about your health
>>
>>5026342
>>ask about your health
>>
>>5026459
"My face feels numb, what happened?" you ask.
The young lady responds: "You should be careful, you were in a weakened state when you arrived here and you had trouble breathing. His Majesty ordered the best healers of the court to work on you. Most of your injuries have been healed, but you should still take it slow until you feel like you've fully recovered."
Her voice sounded firm and precise, in stark contrast to her earlier shy reaction.
"MOST of my injuries...?" You ask as you begin softly tapping your face. As you speak the words you come across a scar across the left side of your face and take notice of the fact that you still see the room in a blur.
>ask what the injury is
>ask for a mirror
>>
>>5027654
>ask what the injury is
>>
>>5027875
"What is this? What happened to me?"
"Your left eye sustained injuries. The healers told me vile corruption was involved. We actually kept you in this dark room so that light wouldn't hurt your eyes but we don't actually know if you would lose sight in that eye or not."
You get up from your bed and stretch, letting out a sigh. Your wounds are now mere bruises and scars.
"General MacTanner asked me to let him know when you regain consciousness. He wants to speak with you at once." the young lady informs you.
"Well then, you should go tell him, but first--"
>ask for how long you were in a coma
>ask where your companions, Girbek and Jack are
>ask to see the sunlight
>ask for better clothes
>ask for food
>write in...
>>
>>5028781
>>ask for how long you were in a coma
>>
>>5028800
"You were out for only 2 days" the girl replies as she walks off.
As you are left alone, you approach one of the windows and try to catch a glimpse of the world outside.
>open the window wide open, letting light and fresh air in
>patiently wait in the dark room
>>
>>5030025
>>open the window wide open, letting light and fresh air in
>>
>>5030038
The light burns at first. Your eyes eventually adjust to the brightness. The warm sunlight and cool breeze make you feel refreshed. You wake up your tired muscles by stretching for a bit. You figure out that your sight is still decent in your left eye, if a bit miopic, and shouldn't affect you too much. You think that it's not so bad and if you should ever need better sight, you can always sacrifice depth perception for it.
>look at yourself in the mirror
>stretch some more
>>
>>5030804
>>look at yourself in the mirror
>>
>>5030821
You find a large mirror and look at yourself. Your body is lean and it seems you lost some muscle mass. Your beard has also grown in the 2 days you were out cold. The sunlight shines on your
>pale
>tan
>dark
skin and it highlights your
>black
>brown
>blond
>red
hair. Taking a closer look, you notice a rather chilling scar where the beast struck your eye. It's not a big mark, but the attack seems to have drained the
>black
>blue
>green
>hazel
>amber
>blue-gray
of your left eye, leaving behind a
>gray
>light pink
>light gray
iris.
>write-in other features if you want
>>
>>5032353
>pale
>brown
>blue
>gray

Can we see with our left eye now or is it permanently blind?
>>
>>5032413
(Your left eye is just very sensitive to sunlight and is slightly more short-sighted. You're basically a bit myopic. It's not too serious, the only significant drawback being that staring directly into the sun or bright lights would probably not be a good idea. I'll make sure to add an option later down the line to get an eyepatch or fully heal it. Having a face scar like that adds to your intimidation tho, so we'll see which one is more useful.)
>>
>>5032413
As you admire yourself in the mirror, the physician returns with a tall, imposing man clad in mail armor. The man's head is shaved and his features make him seem more like a golem than man. General Bartholomew MacTanner, no doubt. Although this is the first time you see him in person, you've heard tales of his bravery before. Legends, even. Being a knight yourself, you've heard stories of him repelling a hoard of goblin raiders with only a handful of men, when he was only 17. He is an accomplished military leader, and standing in front of him, it's easy to see why: this man is as big as a bear and makes his armor look like a blouse!
"Glad to see you're awake, soldier!" the general's voice thundered. "We have much to discuss..."
Soon enough, you find yourself in the barracks, being questioned about what happened in Varanash. You recount your tale, how you woke up from the attack, rescued the people you could and tried to make it to the closest village only to be intercepted. The people in the room all have grim expressions on their faces...
>ask about Jack and Girbek, the people you rescued
>ask about your family
>ask about your partner
>ask about the state of the kingdom
>>
>>5033196
>>ask about the state of the kingdom
>>
>>5033204
After you are finished with your tale, you ask the question that's been on your mind since this whole ordeal started:
"Do any of you know what actually happened beyond that? I suppose the capital of the kingdom wasn't hit during all of this. Who attacked us? Why? How did it even happen?"
After a moment of silence an old voice answers from the back of the room:
"We know....very little."
The voice is coming from an old man, wearing ornate clothes and a dark blue hooded robe. He is frail and uses a cane to support himself. This is no knight. His voice echoes once again:
"Brave lad... Solis hasn't many spell weavers, so there is only so much we could do. Some of the Royal Seers analyzed the area with me and there is no doubt about one thing: this is the work of a powerful, nefarious, dark sorcerer. A warlock, practioner of dark arts has made his move. Demonic magic has been used to burn your village to a crisp and to decimate Reds'hill. It is a miracle that there are any survivors. However, we do not know whom he may be. Nor do we have a clue as to why he would attack. The area has been tainted by demonic magic...corrupting all living things, twisting them into monsters. I believe...you encountered one such creature in the woods. Have you not?"
>"This is insanity! It cannot be!"
>Lower your head as you sigh and wait a moment to take in the information
>>
>>5033711
>>Lower your head as you sigh and wait a moment to take in the information
>>
>>5033711
>Lower your head as you sigh and wait a moment to take in the information
>>
>>5034034
>>5034216
As you take the information in, you feel like you are sinking. You rub your eyes and sigh as if you were waking from a terrible nightmare. You think to yourself:
"How is this possible? They say this is the work of some magician? I cannot believe that! Magic cannot accomplish much beyond cheap tricks, illusions! To wipe out an entire village, it would take a God's might to accomplish!"

Soon enough, you share your thoughts with the room:
"Are you certain? Maybe we were attacked by some devilspawned monster, or this could be some declaration of war, or a group of magicians. How could ONE person do this?"

MacTanner swiflty replies, his voice unusually calm:
"Keep in mind that Varanash wasn't the only place hit. Reds'hill was nearby and despite your attempt to reach it... It would've been for naught. Both villages were hit and although we were late in our response, we scoured those forests. Left no rock and no leaf unturned. Our Seers tell us that if this was a group effort, they would have been there in order to conjure the spell on-site. The presence of magic traces... and the precision and lack of evidence or leads... It suggests that this attack was conducted by one person. We do not know why or how he specifically pulled it off, however...That is troubling."
>ask about what exactly happened to Reds'hill
>ask about what will happen to the kingdom
>ask what the Knights of Solis will do about this
>>
>>5035054
>>ask about what exactly happened to Reds'hill
>>
>>5035054
>ask about what exactly happened to Reds'hill
Sounds like what happened there was even worse than just being wiped out.
>>
>>5035086
>>5035088
You turn towards MacTanner and ask him what happened to Reds'hill and if they were attacked the same way.
"They suffered an even more brutal attack. No survivors. All dead. However, they perished in a completely different way. No traces of hellfire there. No signs of explosions, but the ground was plastered with a black tar like substance. The plants, crops and animals were twisted, some being disfigured and dying immediately. Others...well, turned into abominations before succumbing to their corruption. Much like the monster you encountered. The people had it the worst though." The general takes a short break and coughs lightly before resuming: "They were impaled on spikes made of ice. Every man, woman and child. No matter where they were, frozen spikes sprouted from the ground. In their homes, on the streets. We even found some encased in these formations. The attack was brutal. Not one was spared. None could escape."

A grim silence permiates through the room. You don't know what to make of this. Are you lucky to have survived? Or damned for having lived through this?

Suddenly, there is movement at the head of the table. An old man rises from his seat. He is unlike the wizard that spoke earlier. Despite his age, he seems fit, strong, agile. His armor is light and simple, yet it features a royal golden finish. He is around 1.85m (6.07ft) tall and has a full head of silver hair complimented by a full beard. Despite having signs of old age like his skin wrinkles, there is fire in his amber eyes. Highlord Lionis speaks to you:
"You've done well, sir Oswin. I know of your name. Though I've never met him in person, I hear your father was a good man, known for his kindness and determination. You showed bravery in this situation, and you shall be rewarded for it. Your insight is appreciated, and following such a traumatic experience, I will see to it myself that you would be settled for retirement, should you choose to leave the order. However, right now the kingdom is all but sealed. We have tripled the guard patrols and prepared a team to investigate and respond to this attack. We must show the people that we have not abandoned them! We must avenge them! If you wish to remain a knight however, your bravery, spirit and will to survive would be far more appreciated on our team. For now, we have both said enough. I want you to know that there is always a place for you at our table and to consider my offer!"

The other people in the room seem surprised by the Highlord's words.
>accept on the spot, kneeling in front of Highlord Lionis and swearing loyalty to him (Righteous Knight path)
>say that you will consider joining the Knights, but for now you need time to heal your wounds and mourn the people who passed (Lone Warrior path)
>>
For some extra information:
The Righteous Knight path sees you teaming up with other knights and going on an adventure to protect the kingdom, find the evil warlock and deliver justice.

The Lone Warrior path sees you going off on your own, working more independently of the knightly order and seeking revenge.

This is the first big divergence in the story with more significant impact and differences.
>>
>>5035131
>>accept on the spot, kneeling in front of Highlord Lionis and swearing loyalty to him (Righteous Knight path)
>>
>>5035131
>>5035134
This is still me btw, I think my ID was changed because of using different internet IP. Should be back now.
>>
>>5035131
>accept on the spot, kneeling in front of Highlord Lionis and swearing loyalty to him (Righteous Knight path)
Fighting such a threat all alone seems quite difficult, we'll need all the support we can get.
>>
>>5035135
>>5035842
And so, the journey begind. Solis is under lockdown. Strict curfews are imposed on the people and magic is only allowed at the request of the King, Highlord Lionis or Archmage Cosmyn. It is a time of panic and fear in the kingdom. The ruins of Varanash and Reds'hill are turned into military outposts.
Meanwhile, there remain three neighboring villages under Solis: Blackstone, Trot and the port town Bluntsport where knights were not yet deployed.
The peasantry grows restless as the king focused on protecting the noble courts during the first week following the attack, but that is about to change. Brave heroes are deployed to protect the people and investigate this case.
>Wake up in a modest home
>Wake up in a palace room
>>
>>5036329
>>Wake up in a palace room
>>
>>5036329
>Wake up in a modest home
>>
>>5036531
>>5036586
You wake up in a middle-class home. This empty house once belonged to a prideful baron with horrible spending habits and a gambling addiction. It has been repurposed to accomodate for people of interest to the crown such as yourself, if need be. The place is cold and empty. It is obvious nobody lived here in a very long time. In this empty place, your thoughts drift towards the people you lost in the attack and the only people you know to be left alive.
>think of Girbek and Jack
>think of Girbek, Jack and your sister who lives in the lower end of town
>think of Girbek, Jack, your poor sister and your former lover, a young noblewoman
In any case, there is no time to lament, you have received a letter from General MacTanner telling you to present to a training camp outside Solis.
>>
>>5038551
>>think of Girbek, Jack and your sister who lives in the lower end of town
>>
>>5038551
>think of Girbek, Jack and your sister who lives in the lower end of town
Cool quest so far OP, I hope more people pick it up too.
>>
>>5038705
Glad you like it. Means a lot to me and hopefully it gets even better. One of the things I want to add is more pics for better immersion and visualization.
>>
>>5038663
>>5038705
You have a quick breakfast consisting of bacon and eggs, pack the little things you own in a sack and put on your shiny new brigandine, courtesy of the Knights' Order. Soon after, you head out.

Walking the streets of the kingdom, you feel the people eyeing you up. You aren't wearing the heavy plate of a patrol guard but people can clearly tell you're not an ordinary peasant. Are they looking at you with frustration and high expectations for you to solve all their problems? Or are they doubting you could be the one to help, fearing that the worst is yet to come? Either way, you don't let these thoughts weigh on you. You are determined to try your best.

Once you arrive at the meeting you see a surprisingly low number of fellow men There must be no more than 30 men here. Apparently, their forces are spread thin and every corner of the kingdom is currently kept under watch. Furthermore, you are informed that the order has employed the aid of a number of spies and mercenaries in order to bolster their numbers and security. The remaining men are to be divided in 3 groups, each under the command of general MacTanner, general Mason and general Lyndon tasked with investigating Blackstone, Trot and Bluntsport respectively in order to flush out the perpetrators and gather intel. The men present here today are the best of the best, and this promises to be a grandiose witch hunt. You are meeting here again tomorrow to depart with your group.

After the meeting general MacTanner approaches you.
"Sir Oswin, glad you could make it. You seem determined as ever! Considering your involvement in the first attack, I wanted to ask what you thought of all this. What is your gut telling you? If this wasn't an isolated case, then where may we find a lead?"

>Blackstone
>Trot
>Bluntsport
>"I really have no idea..."
>write-in
>>
>>5038739
>>"I really have no idea..."

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.