[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 9 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1608023334038.jpg (1019 KB, 1006x1363)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
LAST TIME, ON DRAGON SLAYER QUEST
Your name is Noah Lee - straight C+ student, scrawny runt, and lover of old ballroom dance vinyls. After a chance encounter during detention, you discovered that you possess the mystical "Type O-alpha" blood-type, which marks you as...

Monster bait. No cool powers. No "chosen one" status. But apparently, if you bleed around the wrong people, they will explode into gigantic, reality-warping monsters known as "Dragons" and immediately try to kill you. Silver lining! Surviving a Dragon attack gave you magic powers - "Alchemy", the ability to enforce your intent on the world and reshape matter and energy.

After a fraught encounter with your teacher, who burst into a Dragon and attempted to kill you, you were saved by Kendra Shields (call her Ken), a gruff, battle-worn two-star Slayer for the Fraternal Order Of Dragon Slayers (FOODS), and became her apprentice in order to learn enough so that you could defend yourself from Dragons.

After stopping and sealing a homunculus created by rogue, amateur Alchemists at your school, and having your Uber ride home turned into a hellish nightmare when not one but two Dragons began chasing your driver's car, you wanted very little more than to try and return to some sense of normalcy.

Your brain, however, seemed to have different plans.
>>
>>4732266
Sleep came rarely throughout the night, if at all, and when you did finally manage to pass out, you came upon an uncomfortably real-feeling dream that seemed to contain replicas of everything you've ever performed Alchemy on or with - including one of the rogue Alchemists you healed with forbidden techniques. Slightly disturbed by the fact that you have, apparently, a second person in your brain, you were eventually drawn into an immense dream-sun of unknown symbolism (if any), meeting a mysterious figure in your own head that seemed oddly familiar.

But then again, isn't that what dreams are all about?

When you woke up, finally, and basically stumbled your way to school, you discovered the place crawling with FOODS officers, apparently on high-alert after a tip-off the night before about an imminent Dragon attack. While you were certainly made aware of the presence of a Dragon - Mr. White, the Track & Field coach for your school, who the rogue Alchemists were attempting to assassinate via forbidden Homunculus - neither you nor, to your knowledge, Ken, had any idea of any sort of imminent attack.

There was only really one other person who could've provided such a tip to FOODS: Jimmy, a senior FOODS operative who you called on in the dead of the night to assist with capturing the Homunculus, on Ken's recommendation. You don't know enough about him to know if he gave the tip or not, or if there's something stranger going on here, but either way, security was tight with field agents that only you could see.

Only you, and any Dragons around, actually.
>>
File: 1616379271032.jpg (135 KB, 850x715)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>4732270
In the middle of a school assembly occupying the back half of the day, the principal revealed to the students that someone had severely vandalized the woman's locker room (you, accidentally), and that someone had left a death threat for Mr. White (not you), neither would be tolerated, and both would be investigated. Mr. White was present, clearly nervous from the attention, but attempted to slip away mid-assembly, only to run into the assembled FOODS agents.

A tense situation occurred without anyone being the wiser, with Mr. White turning into his draconic form and holding a student hostage in order to attempt to force the FOODS officers to surrender and let him escape. With some quick thinking on your part, you interrupted the assembly by shouting about the coach abusing the track & field team, drawing Mr. White's ire - he abandoned his previous hostage to focus on you, and an errant scratch from his talons conveniently dosed you with the right amount of Dragon venom to make you vanish before the tizzy you stirred up focused back on you.

The FOODS agents took advantage of the distracted Mr. White to begin the operation, quickly manipulating the auditorium to cage him in, advancing with weapons at the ready. When he tried to get away, his back turned to you, you took control of the carpet to pin him down, and in his panic to escape, he ripped his body in half, fleeing to the rafters.

Bafflingly, the officers let him get away. You asked one of them what was up with that, and they gave you awkward, stilted responses about having a tracker on him, and pulling in officers from everywhere they could, including l'Ordine (The Order), the Vatican's personal Dragon-hunting unit - apparently, a thing they have!
>>
>>4732272
You sit by the long, concrete stairs leading up to the school's entrance, shielded from the grey weather by several overhangs of brick, extensions of the school building that gave the second floor more classroom floor space to work with. You nearly jump out of your skin when someone slaps you on the back, fully prepared to skewer them with your honing steel, before you remember that it is in your backpack and not in your hand.

Thankfully, it's just Josh - Josh Masters, basically your only... Well, until recently, your only friend. You think you would consider Ken and Rebecca also friends, if you thought about it enough. "Hey, man, were you at the assembly? I was looking all over for you, it was fucking crazy, dude!"

>"Nah, I knew they wouldn't stop me so I just left so I could chill out here."
>"Oh man, I was taking a shit the entire time, what happened?"
>"Yeah, with the fucking death threat and everything? What was up with that?"
>Free Option.
>>
File: sharqmonke.png (58 KB, 551x551)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>4732274
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
https://pastebin.com/ipHuwpgL

CHARACTER LISTING
https://pastebin.com/imUJCpNe

LISTING ON SUPTG
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Dragon%20Slayer%20Quest

PREVIOUS THREAD
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/4688819/

If you're enjoying the quest, your upvotes are greatly appreciated
>>
>>4732274
>"Nah, I knew they wouldn't stop me so I just left so I could chill out here."
>>
>>4732274
>"Yeah, with the fucking death threat and everything? What was up with that?"
>>
>>4732274
>>"Oh man, I was taking a shit the entire time, what happened?"
Fish for what the normies experienced given our disappearance.
>>
>>4732274
>"Oh man, I was taking a shit the entire time, what happened?"
I think mentioning the death threat would be tipping our hands too much. Also, did we seriously get away with everyone not being able to remember who shouted in the assembly? neat.
>>
>>4732767
>>4732713
"Oh man, I was taking a shit the entire time, what happened?" You ask, not wanting to tip your hand too much or too early. The fact that, apparently, you got away with it entirely because of Mr. White's venom strikes you as a little too awesome to be true, so you might as well pry - if anyone would recognize your voice shouting something out, it would be Josh.

"It was just fucking nuts, man, some kid shouted out, like--" He starts, and then puts on a voice that sounds like a really bad imitation of you, ""So when are we gonna talk about how one of the coaches is a pedophile", right? And like... Who does that? Who has the fucking balls, right, dude?"

"Yeah, right?" You ask rhetorically right back. The fact that your friend is describing you unknowingly as "someone who has balls" does provide you with a little shot of placid amusement. "Then what happened?"

"Well obviously everyone went fucking crazy, the teachers had to try to calm us down for like fifteen minutes and then they just gave up and dismissed everyone." Josh said, waving behind him as a flood of students rushing for their busses started to slowly pour out of the school and sort themselves into their designated school transportation vehicles. "This is just fucking crazy, dude, I heard somebody say they're gonna tell a journalist about it or some shit."

"Do we know who the pedophile is?" You ask. Josh's eyes glaze over for a fraction of a second and you immediately know that the answer is no, we don't - because you pointed out that it was specifically the track & field coach, and that person is currently a half-dead Dragon, no longer in the perception of anyone who hasn't been inoculated like you have.

"Huh?" Josh asked, and you wave your hand a little dismissively. Students with busses that haven't arrived yet begin to coagulate into groups on the stone stairs, socializing, chattering, filling the air with noise. No static on your neck, that's a good thing.

"Don't worry about it. Still, fucking crazy. Wonder what's gonna happen with it." You muse, and Josh pops a squat next to you, his ass quickly hitting the concrete.

"Yeah, I wonder." He replies.

>Pester him more directly about Coach White to see what'd happen.
>Look to see if you can find Rebecca to say hello.
>Make small talk with Josh, how was your weekend? Shit like that.
>Ask Josh if he wants to hop on your bus and hang out today.
>Free Option.
>>
>>4734066
>>Look to see if you can find Rebecca to say hello.
we still don't know who the book lender is targeting. They gave US a copy, so where are they getting their intel?
>>
>>4734066
>Look to see if you can find Rebecca to say hello.
>>
>>4734066
>>Look to see if you can find Rebecca to say hello.
>>
>>4734066
>Make small talk with Josh, how was your weekend? Shit like that.
It's been a while since we've hung out with him, let's talk.
>>
File: Rebecca George.jpg (316 KB, 919x1280)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
Apologies for the delay, was at the dentist getting teeth drilled and that fucked my entire yesterday. Good news, though - my tinnitus is a jaw problem, not a nerve problem, so I'm not going deaf, AND it's fixable with a night guard for my mouth.
>>4734103
>>4734077
>>4734137
You look towards the mass of swarming students exiting the school building proper and call out when you see her - "Rebecca!" you shout, just loud enough to be heard. She turns her head towards you two, tilts it with a little coy smile, and walks her way over.

"What's up?" She asks, wandering to the two of you. Josh gives her an idle, knowing wave, and she waves right back, plopping down on the concrete steps next to you, her knee against yours.

"What did you think of that, uh, assembly?" You ask, laughing nervously about it. She looks at you funny and then laughs harder than you did, but with much less nervousness.

"Ballistic. I mean, not surprised, I think we've all heard stories, but, insane that someone had the balls to just say it out loud like that." She says, giggling quietly. "Wish I could give whoever said that a high five, really. Or, like, a beer."

>"Jokingly" imply that it was you.
>Just straight up say that you did it.
>Say nothing about it, continue the conversation as if it was, in fact, someone else.
>Free Option.
>>
>>4737575
Glad your health got better!
>Say nothing about it, continue the conversation as if it was, in fact, someone else.
OPSEC is paramount.
>>
>>4737575
that's remarkably good news

>>
>>4737575
>>
>>4737575
Glad to hear your tinnitus is fixable, Richard.

>>
>>4737575
>>Say nothing about it, continue the conversation as if it was, in fact, someone else.
>>
>>4738912
>>4738156
>>4737811
>>4737582
>>4737609
There might be a time and place for confessions, sarcastic and otherwise. Now is not the time for either of those, considering the circumstances, especially since you know that there is a half-dead Dragon who wants you dead specifically. Even if he is being tracked down by people who have been killing his kind for ages, you get the feeling it's not something you want to fuck around with if you have the opportunity to not fuck around with it.

"You have beer with you?" You ask instead, taking the opportunity to completely miss the forest for the trees.

"No, I just... have access to it." She replies, laughing at your strange takeaway from her idle comment.

"You have access to beer?" You ask, half-joking, keeping the playful incredulousness played up for the sake of making her laugh more - it works, thankfully.

"You don't?" She asks, eyebrow piqued.

You shake your head. "My mom doesn't drink."

"Yeah, but you've got this big lug and I'm pretty sure he had a few beers at his place." Rebecca says, gently thumping Josh on the back. He turns to her, startled slightly, evidently having been lost in his own thoughts (or just Tinder on his phone).

"Oh? Huh. Yeah. Yeah, I've gotchu hooked up if you need it." Josh says, face lighting up with a supportive smile.

>"Wanna hop on Josh's bus and go down a couple at his place, while you're offering?"
>"Thanks, but I think I'm good being beer free for the moment. What's everyone's plans this afternoon?"
>Free Option.
>>
>>4740036
>"Thanks, but I think I'm good being beer free for the moment. What's everyone's plans this afternoon?"
should we ask if they know the brother and sister?
>>
>>4740036
>>
>>4740036

Friends don't drink and transmute, and with a dragon around you never know when you're going to need to whip out some alchemy.
>>
>>4740036
>>"Thanks, but I think I'm good being beer free for the moment. What's everyone's plans this afternoon?"
>>
Too tired to write today, update tomorrow, going to be going back on my ADHD medication so hopefully I am actually able to do it in the afternoon for once.
>>
>>4742151
Well, that didn't work. Maybe 4/13 was a bad day to try that on. Haha. Moving on.
>>4740042
>>4740061
>>4740540
>>4741848
"Thanks, but I think I'm good being beer free for the moment. What's everyone's plans this afternoon?" You ask, leaning back on your elbows, watching as the busses pull in from their line like little soldiers in a row, loading up on students, departing down the road.

"I was going to go give myself worse tinnitus." Rebecca jokes. "And maybe do homework, if I felt like it."

You nod knowingly. "Good answer."

Josh intercedes. "I was going to go run some laps... and then do homework. Probably."

You nod again, rubbing your chin in thought. They both seem amused by the gesture, and that makes you feel a strange little peal of dopamine for reasons you're unsure of. Your two friends seem to be getting along, which feels strange for reasons you can't articulate in English quite yet. "I was probably going to listen to Frank Sinatra. And then maybe do some homework. If I felt like it."

Rebecca pitches the question before you can. "I mean, if we're all doing homework, we might as well do it at the same place, right?" She says, tilting her head with a light smile and a luminescent, cheek-filling blush - or maybe that's just the light.

>"Oh, sure! You have to promise to not break our eardrums first though."
>Think about the fact that there are Dragons afoot, and get semi-cold feet. "As long as you guys don't mind cramming into my place?"
>The option directly above, but make up a bullshit excuse instead of just proposing it bald-faced. (Free Option)
>Free Option.
>>
>>4744216
I don't think going somewhere secluded would be good anyway.
>>
>>4744216
>>
>>4744216
>>
>>4744216
>>"Oh, sure! You have to promise to not break our eardrums first though."
>>
Apologies slightly for quality - I got in a stupid autistic debate with someone and that ate all my allotted evening time but I don't want to leave you all updateless again.
>>4744229
>>4744285
>>4745080
>>4746458
"Oh, sure! You have to promise to not break our eardrums first, though." You joke, lightening the mood.

"I promise nothing." She says, as the three of you get up and begin filing into one of the busses, following Rebecca's lead. The trip is short and unmemorable, with the three of you occupying somewhere around the middle of the bus. As you all know, the front of the bus is reserved for freshman, while the few seniors that do not drive take up the very back, as is the natural hierarchy of high school. You make light small talk, and for a couple of minutes, everything feels like it's normal, like you are just a high schooler and there's not Dragons around or Anti-Dragon cops. The fact that that sentence makes sense to you makes you feel slightly unnerved.

Rebecca lives in a house a little bit closer to the center of the city, where the rowhouses begin turning into high-rises and the suburbs are only a distant memory. Rebecca's isn't a high rise, still in that strange in-between, an apartment on the first floor of a six-apartment building, one bedroom (hers) and what looks like a severely disused common area with an unfurled futon.

The smell of cigarette smoke is extant but faded. Bluetooth speakers quickly are hooked up to a phone and quiet, murmuring noise pipes through. Textbooks and binders are removed from backpacks, the futon turned into a lounging platform for performing work. Rebecca, thankfully, does not break your eardrums - she keeps it light and occasionally gives you or Josh control of the speakers.

The sun goes down. The hairs on the back of your head slowly begin to rise, but your brain can't distinguish them from the normal kind of goosebumps. You stare at your homework, slight moonlight filtering through half-open windows, trying to focus.

>Ask for some ibuprofen, you probably just have nerves. Ignore it and move on with your evening.
>Your gut has never failed you yet. At the very least take a little stretch-your-legs and look around out the windows.
>You haven't forgotten that Rebecca has a relative that got Dragon'd. Go to the bathroom, snoop.
>Free Phrase.
>Free Option.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.