[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Selios_2020-09-05-11-34.png (853 KB, 1536x722)
853 KB
853 KB PNG
A thread for the discussion of rulesets and GM tips for builders.

>What is a Builder?
Builders are a type of homebrewed tabletop game where players take on the role of cultures rather than single individual. These games involve a blend of collaborative world building and PvP activity. The easiest way to think of a builder is as a tabletop Civilization game, with more room for freedom and experimentation and less focus on strict adherence to real-world historical development that would be difficult to marry with fantastic settings.

>Useful Map tools
https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
https://www.gimp.org/

>Example Rulesets
Some rulesets for various builders I have played in over the years.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nWlVOoCDvr29Ap54LkpGEGKVZnpXKAUYumTaxG37u6U/edit?usp=sharing
https://pastebin.com/3tvrmBpL (embed)
https://pastebin.com/LURnekuf (embed)

>Questions for GMs
What are some issues you've run into while running long-term games?
How do you resolve growing power differences between different players?
Do you prefer short updates with individualized side-missions or longer updates with fewer side-missions?

>Questions for Players
What are some pet peeves you have?
Are there particular settings or rules that turn you off from wanting to play?
Do you prefer crunchy systems or ones with more freeform structure?

>Rules feedback
An idea I've been toying around with is the addition of milestones that after a certain number have been reached provide a win condition or can be traded in for additional actions. I'm not sure if that would be annoying for players or if it would provide a good means of determining an actual end point for the game which can just drag on forever otherwise.
>>
nobody plays civs
>>
Civ Games are interesting enough, but the GMs always end up abandoning them, which sucks
>>
>>4663404
I think that GMs could really make use of excel sheets and even assistance from other players to make the update schedule more consistent and easier on the GM. It may help with the issue of attrition.
>>
>>4663362
I miss gods civ games.
>>
>>4663404
this, so much this, I love civ quest, I really do, but it's so hard to get invested when the QM just drops it after 6 or 9 turns.
>>
GM is the bottleneck. How about introducing a rule about attacker having narrative control and writing the encounter as report? Defender would only react passively. This way the battle round can be managed entirely by attacker.
>>
>>4663554
It doesn't do much to solve a major issue which is the GM being around for the turns themselves. Most of the games don't rule into issues with conflict management as much as they run into problems with GM workload.
>>
I'd consider co-GMing with someone else.
>>
>>4664061
Would like too
>>
>>4664594
What kind of game are you considering? Do you have any ideas or rules you'd want to implement?
>>
>>4665083
https://pastebin.com/3tvrmBpL
I was a player from that thread (kingdom of stonia)
And I liked it.
>>
>>4665137
It's a pretty simple system and I imagine that a map could be made in paint or using the azgaar region feature that reflected the rules of developing territories for stats.
>>
>>4665137
Seems like neat system. How did the game go? What went wrong? What went right? What could be improved?
>>
File: space builder.pdf (2.1 MB, PDF)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PDF
I discovered a truly ancient ruleset squirreled away at the back of my files. This baby is from 2013.
>>
>>4665323
god damn this is some truly old fag lore thank you
>>
>>4665323
got any good maps that might go well with it
>>
File: SBT0.png (2.42 MB, 3400x2800)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB PNG
>>4665351
This is the map that originally came with it.
>>
>>4665354
noice, thanks man
>>
I make no promises, but, keep an eye out because I love space and I love civ games, so....we will see what happens
>>
the real redpill lads is that a lot of games are on discord now for the ease of use of them, but by all means host games on the board and spread the word, they're hard to host for sure, but its doable with practice, and more importantly fun!
>>
>>4665543
The only problem with discords is that they're hard to find so they don't tend to bring in as much new blood. Otherwise they're really good for hosting these I agree. If you've got a good discord feel free to share it.
>>
>>4665543
Discords are almost always a group of friends (using the term loosely) who have played together before and are just continuing. The few discords I've managed to even find, which is a challenge in itself, have been very cliquey and not particularly welcoming.
>>
>>4665609
I feel that had a QM try to ban/push me out but the other two blocked him dude has an ego problem
>>
>>4665600
>>4665609
yes this is a big issue, but at the same rate the best way to have a game continue is to have a central discord to
>>
>>4663472
same, shame it was ditched like a cumrag
>>
discords are good and bad, good because you can get a lot of active people,bad because if you fuck up , fuckers will prevent you from joining any others discords/civs games that require you to join the discord
>>
Honestly, Builders are mostly dead, sadly. NRP's are kinda the only thing that's left. Ideally in time that'll change. But, probably not for a while.
>>
>>4666229
nah man you have it wrong like the embers of a dying fire the NRPs are the last gasps of a dying quest format, one day those final embers will die out and be lost forever and /qst/ will be worse for it. This is the end anon, not the beginning
>>
>>4666234
Considering there's a very major discord where NRP's are organized, and how usually there's always at least one running, I'd say it's more than just embers. I do agree though that if they were to die, /qst/ would be worse off.
>>
>>4666229
Builders pop up from time to time but they don't tend to last forever. NRPs have the advantage of a large playerbase and 0 barrier to entry because you don't even have to be able to understand game concepts to play in them you just have to be mildly literate.
>>
Yeah what all game types need arguably is a central chat to have all ooc and shitposting in, while the game stuff is either in a discord (bad for aforementioned reasons of no new players that you don't invite) or on the board. That is at least how it use to be in the days before the exile from /tg/
>>
ah yeah here is ye old guide from ages ago, since someone posted bobski's rule set

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NZFX--5Hchy7wwVliYA8E8t5oNyec4zSC4yNStw4Oy0/edit?pli=1
>>
>>4668592
Cool shame the 8 chan links are dead
>>
>15 IPs
there's enough people here for two whole games wtf
>>
>>4668603
yeah well that's to be expected since 8 chank is fucked
>>
>>4668643
assume half are phone posters we have about 7 people really. Also that relies on one of us having the time, balls, and skill to run a game
>>
>>4665609
I am a part of that clique and I 100% agree.

Personally I'm glad there are more than one group on discord running builders that arent at all related to that particular group.

Most of them are great. But they suffer from what happens when you are stuck in the same clique for years on end.
>>
>>4666229
There is only one actual Nation Builder running right now and it's not even actually associated with the most populous group who call themselves the "builder community"

Its very kino though
>>
>>4665323
>>4665340
Yeah that went by Bobski iirc. He was great. The dude is still alive and well, but man how the time flies.
>>
>>4670050
I played in the OG Bobski games the only one I missed most of was Space. My schedule just didn't jive with his posting schedule anymore. If he returned to the chins I'd come back for another go. It's been some eight years since then though.
>>
>>4670102
I am thinking about running that space one desu, I have been reading over the rules and it looks lit, sadly my life isn't stable enough for that
>>
I made a draft for microbuilder played over discord https://pastebin.com/ATsYinQn
pls tell me why it sucks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.