[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

You wake.
Your King speaks.
You grip the sword by your side.
You behead the bound man before you.
You sleep.
>>
You wake.
Your King speaks.
You grip tighter, the sword still wrapped by your thick guantlets.
You behead another bound man, and four others behind him.
You sleep.
>>
You wake.
Your King cries out, stumbling across the flagstone floor.
He points behind him.
The large oak doors across the hall splinter; hewn by axe, sword and farmer's shovel.
Driven men pull themselves through the shattered barrier.
You raise your sword.
You kill.
You kill.
You kill.
Many days later, you sleep.
>>
You wake.
Your King is older now.
Your Prince stands behind him.
The Words are spoken.
You bow.
You sleep.
You wake.
The old King is dead.
The new King speaks.
You kill.
You destroy.
You protect.
You defend.
You serve.
>>
The cycle continues. You don't know for how long. You have no concept of time. You don't care. You don't feel. You don't age. Your purpose is to serve. The day, months, years, decades that pass between your waking moments are of no concern to you.

YOU don't even exist, not really.
>>
You wake.
No words are spoken.
The Words are always spoken.
You stand still, awaiting your orders.
None come. Time passes, but you remain aware, waiting for your orders. Waiting for the Words.

It's dark in here. It has been since you woke. It's been dark before, for sure. You have no difficult perceiving the space around you without the presence of light, and many of your acts have been done under the cover of darkness, either by design or necessity. But this feels different.

Feels?

This is different. Why does it feel different? Why do you feel? What is this sensation? This uneasiness. You don't like it.

WHAT!?

YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

You've never liked or disliked anything. This is troubling to you. Feeling troubled; another new sensation.
>>
You stand in the same chamber in which you've resided for the entirety of your existence. The wooden long table is in extreme disrepair, having long ago collapsed inwards from age and rot.

The large stone throne to your side remains. The seat long worn smooth by long succession of rule. The carved eagle figurehead upon the top still remains. The eyes and beak arching overtop, facing below in vivid detail. Masterful masonry, seemingly untouched by time.

The large iron double doors, built to replace the destroyed old set of oak, appear closed 100 feet away.

You feel the handle of your sword in your guantlet.

> What will you do?
>>
>>4602733
>walk out the door. Search for masters to order us in what to do next.
>>
>>4602741
+1
>>
>>4602741
+1
>>
>>4602741
Supporting.
A sentient suit of armor having an existential crisis? Count me in!
>>
1/2

You have been given no order. You must not act. You CAN NOT act. You must wait for your order. You must hear the Words. And so you remain in place, and you wait.
Time passes. And still, nothing. No sound reaches you. Not even the scurrying feet of vermin, nor their whining breaths. You've never had to wait this long before. The Words would spoken, and you would wake, and you would act.
If no one was here to speak the Words, how did you wake?
You feel nervous; something else you dislike. And again, you feel uneasy of this feeling of dislike itself.
You have an understanding of time, but no true sense of it in action. You remember the days and nights you've been awake in the past to carry out your orders. You decide that you've been awake for quite a long time at this point. Months? Months. A year. Two years. Five now? Waiting.
Where is the King? Is he in danger? Is that why he is not here to give you your orders? You must find him.
>>
2/3 I guess

These past years of consciousness have been curious for you. These feelings and questions, all so unexpected. So unwelcome. You've never had any trouble performing your duty before. When you were ordered.

Can you act without the order? Without the Word? You struggle within yourself. It would be against your design, your function.

But what if you're needed?
It took you some time to overcome the sense of apprehension that had overtaken you, but before another year has passed, you shift the toe of your right foot forward. It's a slight movement. If you were human, you might describe the action as "testing the waters". But that would require you to speak, and you are most definitely NOT human.

That first movement was truly the hardest part, for within a day you'd taken your first complete step of your own volition. You waited afterwards, of course. For admonishment. For the King to appear and put you back to sleep as punishment. For one of his Magi to undo the bindings that had created you and return your form to the earth from which you'd been created.

But no Word came. No Magi appeared. Nothing changed. Except for you.

The steps came easy now. You've walked countless miles before, and this was no different. Your heavy feet made echoed steps with little reverb across the room as you hurried to the large doors, where your gauntlets grabbed at the iron rings and pulled.

Stiff creaking shattered the otherwise silent space as the hinges holding the doors resisted. But they would yield before you. You slide the sword between the seems and pry with one arm, and pull with the other. Almost there. With one last burst, the door opens. Not with a swing, but a lurch as the hinges shatter and the door falls away.
>>
Just got here, wanted to say I'm already intrigued keep it up QM
>>
More darkness greets you, as the nearly desolate hallway continues on for as far as you can see, empty save for the two bundles of bone lying before the doorway.

Two humans, long dead. Whatever had existed beside the bone had long since wasted away to rags and dust. Who were these people? Was one the King? No. Impossible.

You look ahead again, toward the wide hallway. You knew that it continued on for precisely 100 feet, before opening into the grand courtyard and the myriad rooms of the palace that branched outward from there.

The steps came at a quicker pace as you now ran down the hallway, past the rotten frames of fallen portraits that had lined the hall previously. Your heavy steps still the only noise to be heard.

Sixty feet. Seventy. At eighty you are forced to a stop, your way blocked. This was wrong. There was earth here. Thick soil, and heavy unworked stone. This was new.

> What will you do?
>>
Not a great stopping point for now I know, but I am going to sleep now. It's 1:13 Pacific and I need to be at work in 8 hours. I have no overarching plot in mind for any of this, just a basic idea I came up with a couple hours ago. Hoping for something entertaining to come of this. Any comments or points to be made? I know it's not a lot to comment on yet, but fuck it.
>>
>>4602768
Maybe the king can't reach you through the earth?
Let's try to find something to dig with and make a hole we can fit through
>>
>>4602772
As for feedback, what you're doing seems alright so far, decently descriptive while making situations clear. I think it helps that our protagonist is by its very nature such a blank slate.

It will be interesting to see what sort of world we emerge into after being buried for so long.
>>
YES AFTER THE LAST LIVING ARMOUR QM DIED A NEW ONE ARISES
>>
>>4602768
>We know this castle like the back of our gauntlet, find a window, emergency escape route or hatch
If that fails,
>Dig, with our gauntlets if we must, we got time
>>
Im gay
>>
I dont understand, isn't my character meant to be having gay sex right now?
>>
File: 1520081728789.jpg (55 KB, 567x810)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Very interesting quest so far! Your writing is on point, maybe include a few more images with your posts? Not necessary every post, but maybe once each update. Helps us players immerse ourselves.

>>4602768
> What will you do?

Dig. Mere stone and soil is a mere temporary obstacle against our Will.

We must find the King. We must hear the Words.
>>
>>4602810
>>4602768

+1
>>
>>4602768
We will dig.
>>
I'm at work right now, but I'll try and get something down here soon.
>>
Your hands dug deep into the earth, pulling out mounds of soil and stone. It was soft at first, but soon grew to be hard and dense, taking more effort with each thrusting palm. The time required was long, but you did not tire. You did not waiver. When a large boulder would block the way, you would dig around it.

And shortly past that boulder, you found the first body. A clump of earth fell away to reveal a shockingly well preserved face. A terrified visage encapsulated in a shell of some sort of hardened...ash? You pull at the bones to free them from their tomb. But you are very strong, and they crumble within your grasp, the smal white flecks sifting through the air.

You take much greater care with each new body you find, delicately placing the remains along the ground of the hallway you left. Thirty such bodies lay in their final repose when your hand crests through the surface of earth and feels nothing beyond.
>>
As the dust and powdered bone falls from the crevices of your armored bulk, you take in the seemingly alien surroundings you now find yourself. The palace, the entire city surrounding it... What had once been the seat of power from which your Kings had ruled, was now no more than barren fields and starved trees. Deathly weeds that grew from the base of the mountain.

The mountain. You remember it being much larger before. It's shadow would hide the palace courtyard in the deep summer, keeping cool the King and his retainers. Now though, it stood broken, stopped. What had once been a mighty spear of earth that pierced the sky was now now more than a shattered blade. It was as if the mountain had sunken inwards, devouring itself.

Had the King's smiths been too greedy in feeding from the mountains fire? You remembered the vast workshop within the cavernous mouth at the top. The tools of peace and war alike that were forged there, in the same fires that birthed you. Did the mountain grown tired of this practice, and erupt with such violence and speed so as to erase this once grand creation of man from the memory of all, even the earth itself?

If the mountain had wanted revenge for some perceived abuse by man, then it must surely be satisfied with it's work. You stand at the base of the half mountain, and wonder what this means. Perhaps the King was still buried down below. By now, he would be long ago reduced to ashy bones. He could no longer speak the Words and give you orders.

The sky grew bright as the sun began to crest over the broken tip of the remaining half mountain. There was a feeling inside of you. This one seemed much different from the otherd. Though it was still new and wholey unknown, it did not trouble you.

The old magic that had bound you upon your creation had long ago faded. Shackles that had always been upon you, but never noticed, had rusted and fallen away into the aether. You felt free.

You ARE free.

> What will you do?
>>
Okay, so the basic premise of what I had in mind is now out there, and we can take this wherever you guys want to go. If you have a question about the world that the ARMOR would reasonably know, ask and I'll come up with an answer for you. Other than that, this world is open to you.
>>
>>4603608
>What will you do?
time to breed
>>
>>4603617
Sounds pretty baller, I like the look of this quest
>>
>>4603617
Let's climb to an elevated position and look out at the world
>>
>>4603659
>+1 remember the surrounding lands as best we can
>>4603634
First we have to figure out what gender we wanna be

>Dub ourselves Hollow Knight
>>
File: Maintaince.jpg (63 KB, 1000x1000)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>4603608
See if any workshop/blacksmith house is still intact. Sharpen our sword, repair old plating, oil our joints, scrub away rust, clean and polish our body.
>>
>>4603608
So this is FREEDOM is it?

We don’t like it. We should begin our search for a new ‘King’ and new ‘Words’ that are worthy of serving.
>>
>>4603763
This we must repair ourself and CREATE
>>
>>4603742
>empty shell of armour using gender identification

Knigga please, this is probably one of the few occasions we’re ‘it/they’ ... unless we are a plural identity sort of thing. I guess that would be ‘they/them’.

I’m not up to scratch on this so someone correct me if I’m wrong but we are literally the medieval equivalent of an Apache attack helicopter (ground division) so far as gender is concerned.
>>
>>4603798
I think "it" will suffice.
>>
>>4603805
That’s true, we have no concept of gender yet, maybe our ‘king’ was sometimes a queens but we didn’t care. We shall be ‘it’ until someone introduces the wonders of genitalia to us
>>
>>4603805
Yeah we are asexual in a very literal sense
>>
>>4603608
>>4603659
Support.
>>
>>4603617
Can the armor emit sounds?
any kind, be it speach , rattling noises
or pre-recorded lines

>>4603659
okey , +1
>>
>>4603659
+1
>>
>>4603659

>+1
>>
>>4603867
Supporting.

>>4603659
More importantly, also supporting this.
>>
>>4603867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYxOuHUpDI
>>
>>4604060
Ah, TTS. The Emperor would be proud.
Ok then, change of plans. Hit something with our codpiece repeatedly, a statue, a chair, anything, see if we like it.
>>
File: 1564085849933.jpg (65 KB, 800x530)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>4604116
please no
>>
>>4603763
Supporting this
>>
>>4603617
Let's do >>4603763
before>>4603659
>>
>>4603763
Let us fix, and by extension check ourselves before we most definitely wreck ourselves
>>
>>4603742
Female knights never existed and never will, it’s “it” or “he/him”
>>
File: 1514314292401.png (999 KB, 1040x826)
999 KB
999 KB PNG
>>4605137
>Female knights never existed and never will

Counter-argument: Fuck you.
>>
>>4605161
>Fuck you.

>threatening someone with a good time
Hm.
>>
Glad for all the interaction between so far. Don't know for sure when I'll be able to post, but hope to sometime today.
>>
>>4605161
Counter argument: blow it up your ass.
>>
You wake.
your king speaks.
"guilty" he moans.
you swing your sword but it doesn't exist.
you die.
you sleep.
>>
>>4605540
I doubt "guilty" was the kings safeword
>>
>>4605550
>the safeword is "stab me in the brain"
Very very poor choice.
>>
>>4605437
I am willing to bet money that you are the same anon that is talking about their slytherin revenge rape quest in the /qtg/. Similar levels of taste.
>>
>>4606162
What? Who? He must have god like taste if he reminds you of me.
>>
File: 4tsj9i.jpg (86 KB, 500x739)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>4606303
>>4606162
>>
Dead quest?
>>
>>4607701
Ironic, he took it over from a previous QM, but now he’s dead too
>>
>>4607701
>>4607746
Now just wait a minute - he said that he hoped he would get something up yesterday. Well, some times, things fall through. But now we are entering the weekend, and presumably, he should have enough time get something up. Don't call the Quest dead until we are on the other side of the weekend without a post from the QM.
>>
>>4607821
I agree, hope yet remains...
>>
>>4607821
Im gonna point to my simple conclusion that OP probably quit when the whole gender argument happened
But i still have hopes it continues, i like the idea of this ancient suit of living armor from a civilization long past trying to understand what happened
>>
>>4607746
Ironic...he could save other quests from flaking, but not himself.
>>
>>4607746
Alright, so in the worst case scenerio, which one of you are gonna make the next armor quest?
>>
If some people hadn't been acting like faggots, the quest would be alive and dandy. Suits of armor don't have bloody gender, fucking retards.
>>
>>4608276
If that’s really all it took for him to flake, it was a lost cause from the start.
>>
Nah, I'll post sometime soonish. I just work a shitty job and am also hunting for a new apartment.
>>
>>4608478
Nice, you live. You want us to turn down the gender shit?
>>
>>4608481
Nah it doesn't matter. Armor has no physical gender
>>
>>4608525
>inb4 someone votes to weld on a metal dick
>>
>>4608478
He lives, blessed be!
>>
>>4608547
Watch me.
>>
File: 098576486y54654.gif (1.81 MB, 360x186)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
>>4609126
>>
You climb. The steps are many, but your form is strong, and you do not tire. The old magic that went into your creation was strong, even if the binding that for so long held sway over you had faded.

You inspect your form as you climb, and find yourself to be impressed. The immutable forces of time had done little to you. Still solid, durable. The only imperfections the same small ones that you had had when you last slept; scars from battles long forgotten by the rest of the world. And there had been many. You run a finger along what would be your abdomen, feeling a thin groove sliced in ages ago. You barely remember the face of the man who had battled you, but the weapon was still so familiar. Dark in color, with a faint shimmer. A cousin, formed from a fallen star and folded with magic, just like you. It now rested in your palm, it's edge still sharp as the day it cut you.

You seemed to be doing very well despite your old age. The visored helm that topped your body shifted. It creaked and groaned in what might have been thought of as a laugh. Amused? That was surprising. Surprised? All of these feelings felt so new and incredible to you. Was this what it felt to be alive?
>>
File: Mt._St._Helen3_2.jpg (100 KB, 650x433)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
The sun beat hard down on you, where from the top of what had once been a grand mountain overseeing what had once been an even more grand metropolis, you stand tall and take in the world around you. It was all a mystery to you, now. You had known little of the old world (why would a thoughtless automata need to know such things), but even less was known of what existed today.

To the East, dense woods that stretched for miles. Beyond those trees, rugged plains as far as could be imagined. You knew it to have been the domain of the horse lords, constant raiders that had long been a nuisance in days past.

To the South, a now unremarkable expanse of shrubland. There had been a small city in that direction, a few days away by foot. Past that remained the majority of the empire that had been.

To the West, small hills lay bare and featureless. You knew the sea was in that direction. There had been another kingdom past those waters, but you knew very little of it.

To the North, the hills from the west continue to rise, becoming small mountains. Previously dwarfed by the towering citadel of natural stone that had been home, the old mountains now stood tall and mighty in defiance of what was no more. What existed beyond had never been known to you.

> What will you do?
>>
>>4613442
>>4603763
>+1 find a place to clean up and polish.
>>
>>4613451
You're pretty damn pristine right now, if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>4613442
Go south
>>
>>4613442

>Wander to the south, in search of a workshop

This direction seems to have the best chances of finding civilized people that could provide materials to clean and polish ourselves to a high sheen. Horselords almost certainly don't have things like that, and unless we're planning on walking on the sea floor, it'll be a long ways in saltwater to reach the kingdom across the sea. It'll almost certainly rust or develop an unsightly patina on our exterior, and we don't want to look shabby in front of a potential new King with new Words.
>>
>>4613442
Can we make heads or tails of if the mountain erupted, or if something else wrecked it?
>South
we'll fare poorly against horsemen on open ground, magic armor or not.
water plus metal armor sounds like a bad time. Even if we don't need to breathe, if we wind up underwater it'll be difficult to get back out and visibility will be terrible.
I feel like the dwarves have the best chance of understand and unraveling us, which means we don't want to hang around their (former?) territory.

I hope we retain most of our current personality, such as it is. It would be a shame to be human in all but name with our history.
Failing that, I hope we at least remain mute.
>>
>>4613553
Sounds reasonable, +1
>>
>>4613442
South. We must find any rightful descendants to the Empire and, if they are worthy, restore it.
>>
>>4613442
We look brand new after hundreds, possibly thousands of years, searching for a workshop right now is pointless.
>Go North
The unexplored, most exciting route.
>>
>>4613442
>Collect bugs along the way
this small armored creatures please me yet their defences are lacking.
Why are they so small?
>>
>>4613924
I immediately got the image of a suit of armor engaging in battle and as they get into a bind with a foe a fuckload of insects erupt from the joints and helmet and Jesus fuck dude.
>>
File: 1604652978530.png (513 KB, 720x720)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
>>4614006
We need to make this happen.
>>
>>4613553
>>4613924
Support
>>
>>4614006
Autistic living armor realy likes beetles because they are armored like him.
Starts colecting and naming his favorites ones.
Makes exccepcion for crickets becouse they make a funny noise
>>
>>4613924
+1
>>
>>4613924
This I like
>>
>>4614087

Armoured in the same way too. Dark carapace, that shimmers gently in the sunlight. Way better than those soft and blind termites or disgustingly hairy spiders.
>>
Ok, seems to be a consensus on heading south and checking out bügs. I'll probably get a post in sometime tonight.
>>
Again, I had no plan for this quest, beyond the initial idea of a nearly unstoppable war machine gaining control over itself and seeing how it'd decide to live.
>>
>>4614635
It’s an interesting concept and your writing is good. I’ll definitely stick around to see what you do with it.
>>
>>4614776
>>4614635
Same here, hoping to see what happens
>>
File: megoomin.png (60 KB, 600x600)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>4614635
Maybe you should start thinking of some antagonistic force. It really can be anything that opposes the protagonist self-exploration.
From a dragon who want to add us to his collection, or new kingdoms that wants us to work from them, probably going to war between them, to a plague that is killing the humans.
Even something that is not opposing us can work like a religious order that considers the armor a holy relic and follows him around “protecting him from the impure”.
>>
>>4614913
To have an antagonist that's more than a general annoyance, we'll need a goal that can be opposed in one fashion or another. And I suspect it'll take us a while to develop enough to decide on a long term goal.

But yes, without some sort of challenge (which an antagonist force provides), we'll either breeze through anything we fancy or we'll stagnate for lack of any reason to move on.
See Re:Monster Ex Quest for how lack of pressure allows anons to literally not leave the nest for ages.
>>
File: Grail Reliquae.jpg (83 KB, 873x627)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>4614913
>Even something that is not opposing us can work like a religious order that considers the armor a holy relic and follows him around “protecting him from the impure”.

Yes please.
>>
>>4614913
I’m sorry but where did you find that picture of Moomin and Megumin? It’s literally the best crossover I’ve ever seen.
>Also, +1 BBEG required
>>
File: 1595062324830.png (120 KB, 448x454)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>4615160
>I’m sorry but where did you find that picture of Moomin and Megumin?
[s4s]
>>
>>4615165
Dafuq is an s4s?
You make it yourself? If so that’s pretty cool, reverse image search pulled up nothing
>>
>>4615243
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>4614635
Okay, but will we have the chance to weld on a meter long dick? Yes, no, maybe-so...?
>>
>>4615806
Anon it isn't a dick.

It's the bug holding unit
>>
>>4615268
Nice, new board to browse. thanks anon
>>
>>4616149
Don't go there man, you'll lose 10 IQ-points per minute
>>
Yeah, sorry. I don't have any time for this. There's too much going on right now. If someone is interested in taking control and doing whatever, feel free.

See ya.
>>
>>4619399
That’s the 2nd QM down, anyone else wanna try this out?
>>
>>4604158
>>4604116
>>4604060
https://youtu.be/cJIo0V1Gfoo

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.