[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: cody.jpg (222 KB, 1280x720)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
This is how you debut a main eventer coming in from another company. A big flashy entrance after some anticipation so even the fans who don't recognise them can instantly tell that they're a big deal. Not have them trot out in their street clothes with zero pomp
>>
>>6151386
Didn't you hear Excalibur exclaim "OH MY GOD" and Jim Ross point out that his name is Okada?
>>
>>6151386
You couldn't find a higher-resolution image to start your shitty console wars thread with?
>>
>>6151386
Ya seethe?
>>
>>6151392
No pomp?
>>
>>6151386
>Not have them trot out in their street clothes with zero pomp
that is the shit that gets me kek'ing

aew is clueless about presentation or maybe more accurately, nuJapan doesn't know how to build anticipation
but what you don't do is stumble out like some geek off the street
>>
>>6151386
By putting him into a 3 PPV long, boring ass feud with an midcarder on a losing streak.
>>
File: 1655784214723.jpg (127 KB, 1184x1188)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>6151386
codester, the codeman, the american nightmare, love the bleached blonde bleacher of brandi rhodes, love his dog pharoah, love the whole brand, to include brandi.
>>
>>6151386
Actually the best way to debut someone is to have them come out in their street clothes and then instead of letting the moment sink in, immediately cut to a backstage women's promo
>>
>>6151386
>>
cody is so cool
>>
>>6151386
Nooo you debut him on a throwaway Dynamite with Adam Cole and Jay White
>>
>>6151528
I agree, but having the lghts go out is right up there
>>
File: InShot_20220623_211229502.jpg (2.27 MB, 1920x1920)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
>>
>>6151386
>main eventer
Cody wasn't a main eventer in AEW.
>>
>>6153980
Except the times he did main event... And they drew huge ratings.
>>
>>6153980
That says more about Tony's low IQ. It's undeniable that Cody had alot of buzz when he debuted and before he got injured.
>>
>>6151386
Unironically yes, AEW only copy the bad things wwe does tho
>>
>>6151386
This. I fucking love Okada, but this "debut" was just embarrassing. It looks like a complete joke even compared to something like Nakamura's NXT debut.
Never giving the tranny fed a shot again.
>>
>>6151390
And that was enough for you? A real promoter wouldn't have Okada debut in fucking Milwaukee on a random Wednesday you fucking mark.
>>
>>6151386
It is so disappointing. Have read aewtists say what an epic monumental moment it will be when the coin drops. And then it happens in the worst possible way and is not special at all. Why does this company this have to be this way? It's frustrating.
>>
>>6151407
lol it actually worked. Nice.
>>
>>6151386
They made Okada sound like a entity this entire time some kind of wrestling being that isn’t human. Then debuts him on a throwaway debut when they could’ve just saved it for when Kenny comes back.
>>
File: 1649129183274.png (2.28 MB, 1920x1080)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB PNG
This is how you debut a main eventer coming in from another company. A big flashy entrance after some anticipation so even the fans who don't recognise them can instantly tell that they're a big deal. Not have them trot out in their street clothes with zero pomp
>>
>>6154962
That's what I was expecting but that's Tiny Khan's booking style, he always likes to do the exact opposite of what's expected and it backfires every single time.
>>
>>6154962
Facing Kenny wont change anything, they want the guy coming in to feel larger than life, the casual viewers this debut would be people who also don't know Kenny or don't see him as larger than life, so it wouldn't change anything. The whole point is presentation of the guy, not what match he's in, although yeah, facing a jobber wouldn't help but anyome upper-midcard or above is fine if they do thw debut properly.
>>
>>6154786
>A real promoter wouldn't have Okada debut in fucking Milwaukee on a random Wednesday you fucking mark.
lmfao, what choice does AEW have? the PPV is Sunday.
>>
>>6154786
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic my man.
>>
>>6155428
>what choice does AEW have
That was already answered in the op
>>
Only in AEW can Okada feel like just another guy. It's actually impressive.
>>
>>6151386
The pop AJ Styles got debuting at the Rumble in 2016 was actually nuts, I was there live in Orlando. No better city, it's filled with kino fans
>>
>>6155801
That was also the year roman was the indestructible face getting booed from the arena only for Trips to come back and bury his bitch ass for the title and a HUGE pop, that was a fun night and in AJ's case shows you don't need a huge intro to get over quick
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAXCjqBzLg
Still the GOAT debut
>>
File: 1649954855010.jpg (145 KB, 1200x1200)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>6151386
The best thing about Cody's return is the fact that, in the rarest of instances, the commentary is dead silent. It lets the people at home soak it all in that he's actually back despite everything that's happened. Like Edge's return, his theme also feels like it has much more meaning this time around, like a prince exiled from his kingdom only to return to take back his rightful place on the throne. Cody may not be my favorite, but he is the most fascinating wrestler in the industry today and this entrance was an all-time moment.
>>
>>6155661
>WTF why didn't Okada wrestle a 1 hour stadium main event match on Dynamite?
>>
>>6156156
You gotta respect him.
>>
>>6156197
Ya just gotta.
>>
>>6156156
What, you didn't like Excalibur talking over JR as Okada came out?
>>
>>6156197
>>6156216
The CODEMAN
>>
>>6156170
Nobody here is asking for that, they were asking to see a debut appearance that wasn't dogshit.
>>
Codybros. I met this smoking hot honey on tinder last week who looked like Dakota Fanning with shitty tattoos and had "loves prowrestling" in her deets.

I could tell she wanted to fuck me right away (I'm a white alpha like Cody). But then she said something stupid like,
>"Cody Rhodes is a geek and his finisher sucks"
to my reply,
>"...but you respect him right?"

I won't tell ya what she said, my lawyers told me not to, but let's just say I had to break a beer bottle over her head and cut off her dick. I hate aewtists!
>>
>>6154786
>Okada
>big deal
He's not a pimple on the ass of American wrestling you dweeb. No one outside of tiny number of marks has any clue who that is. He's a jobber over here.
>>
>>6156846
Agreed. Nobody gives two shits about these gooks.
>>
>>6151386
I always pictured Okada’s AEW debut as something way more. Lights going out, he shows up with big pyro, wears the robe. I don’t know what they were thinking. I showed it to someone and they asked why they were all wearing street clothes
>>
>>6156884
>I showed it to someone and they asked why they were all wearing street clothes
Are you actually this autistic?
>>
>>6156890
Yes. They asked why they weren’t wearing costumes. The street clothes are low effort. I tried explaining it’s just a promo, it’s all a work.
>>
>>6151386
Agreed. AEW debuts are so flat because they just walk out like normal people
>>
>>6156766
I hate this photo, bros. I can tell it’s dated and not recent, for one thing. I can tell that the blonde would go for me while deep down I’m really desiring that goddess next to her and she’d never go for me so I just settle and be a creep toward her best friend and think about her while I have sex with the blonde and live vicariously through whoever she’s dating
>>
>>6151386
They could've had a kino segment had he debuted at a PPV but as usual, Tony just wants to play with his shiny new toy as quickly as possible.
>>
>>6151386
Cody Rhodes is an enormously, globally marketable reality TV star and a natural smooth talking baby face, the heir apparent to a massively prestigious wrestling family legacy, drew the biggest gate in US independent wrestling history with his face front and centre on all promotional material (Okada's likeness nowhere to be found despite appearing on that show), and was a founding executive of a major wrestling promotion that does extremely well on TV in several countries outside of its origin. Kazuchika Okada is an autistic former blue chip prospect who is already in horrible shape at 34 whose American TV legacy is playing a racial stereotype comedy character.
>>
>>6156940
Bro, she said that she "didn't respect The Codeman". And you'd still fuck her??

You're a bigger man than me, fren.
>>
When was the last time Okada wore a t-shirt and sweatpants on a new Japan show? These guys don't respect Tony khan at all lol
>>
>>6157012
Dressed like that he still looked better than every AEW champion as of writing this
>>
>>6151386
Based. Love the Codeman. American Nightmare, baby. How did aew manage to fuck this guy up? Is Tony Khan the worst booker ever?
>>
>>6151390
Excalibur getting excited for something probably makes normalfags think if they pop for it they'll no longer be normalfags and it's cringe
>>
>>6151528
That and coming out a box, with a 4 week lead in of Bobby Heenan hyping up said box
>>
>>6154170
Not knowing too much about AEW id say Cody vs Dustin was there best match
>>
>No commentary
>Lights dim
>Spotlight
>Coin drop
>Okada walks out wearing something cool
>Still no commentary

Why could they not even do this? That would communicate that Okada is special better than whatever happened and easy to pull off
>>
>>6157585
It was by far the best and a sign that Cody should be booker, but alas... that didn't happen and we have the underwhelming shit now where they bring in an entire company full of guys and it means shit
>>
>>6156846
ALL of AEW's fans are where they are because they heard about this wrestler Kenny Omega in Japan having 7 star matches. They can be complete posers but to them Okada is a bog deal because he was Kennys opponent and they got back into wresting because 7 stars and "Fear of missing out" Now their AEW fans because its a safe space for weak leftists. Okada brings it full circle for them, wouldn't be surprised if a couple guys in the crowd cried, while others screamed to the heavens in a low test excitement
>>
>>6151386
bows down
>>
>>6154031
Like once or twice at the beginning of AEW. Cody isn't a draw. The brand is the draw.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.