[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pw/ - Professional Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1529622445476.gif (2.34 MB, 270x216)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB GIF
so uh... did people (adults) back in the 80s and early 90s actually believe pro wrestling was unscripted, real fighting?

How is that possible?

I know when I was a kid, I did sure as fuck believe it was real. But I don't know. I don't know how my mind connected real fighting sports like boxing to wrestling.

Did I think there was magical power in the Stone Cold Stunner or the Rock Bottom that knocked people out? What about the fucking leg drop from Hogan in the 80s. Did people think that when Hogan did the leg drop, it was more than just a few pounds of soft meat dropping on someone's face? What about fighting professionals, like boxers. What did boxers of that era think of pro wrestling?
>>
>>146784
Not really, most people knew.
>>
>>146784
I don't think adults bought into kayfabe but it was much easier, with a combination of beer, the crowd, and much stiffer workers, to suspend disbelief.
>>
>>146784
>Did adults in the 80s believe pro wrestling was real?
no, but they believed the coked out wrestlers who cut good promos and got into all sorts of legal trouble were real
>>
my dad threw a snow cone at some wrestler who was beating up his favorite, Gory Guerrero
>>
>>146808
obviously this wasn't the 80's though
>>
>>146812
it was the 50's, everyone thought it was real
>>
>>146784
Mostly no but they allowed themselves to believe it was real and treated it as such.
>>
>>146794
More or less this, it had been well established literally decades before the 80s that wrasslin is fake, but at this time kayfabe was still strong. It was easier to accept the facade.
>>
>>146784
>>old guy here

When I was but a child, I attended my first house show in the early 80's.

Two guys in their late 20's who were in the seats in front of me ... about halfway through the event one turns to the other and says
"you know this stuff really isn't real?"
"Oh yeah, you can't take a beating like that week after week.", replied the other.

So, yeah, people knew.

>>boxers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YalhAclq9y4
>>
>>146920
I'll add that the newspapers always had full sections for the big 4 sports - football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. But wrestling was relegated to a small , infrequently column written by a guy with an obvious pseudonym.
>>
>>146881
Cornette pretty much says that too
>>
>>146794
>stiffer workers

Ah yes the Rock 'n' Wrestling Era was renowned for being stiff
>>
>>146784
No. The first time I watched wrestling was at a friend's house in 1988. His mum said "it's not real". I went home and told my parents I'd just watched wrestling and they said "it's not real". I believed in the kayfabe for all of 10 minutes, I guess.
>>
>>146784
No one has believed wrestling was real since the 30s. But it's always been relatively easy to suspend your disbelief and enjoy it except for the last 10 or so years when the cooperation has been pushed in the audiences face.
>>
sports are all fixed anon, do you really think america wins all those gold medals in the olympics because they have better athletes? its 330 million ppl vs 7 billion, but america takes home like 50% of the mdeals. cmon kid.
>>
File: Papa Shango.gif (909 KB, 320x240)
909 KB
909 KB GIF
>>146784
you're asking if people thought the voodoo priest who could curse people was real?
>>
>>146784
No, everyone knew it was fake, here's Al Snow explaining this magical kayfabe thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FJnecatdI
>>
>>146784
>in the 80s
Plenty still do, retards on here do too.
>le matt hardy is dead bros omg how could aew let him do something so dangerous waaaaah
>>
>>146784
people have been calling Wrestling fake since the 1940s
>>
>>147975
Al Snow is a faggot
>>
>>147988
Judging by the way he speaks he definitely has brain damage. Whether that happened in that match or is a build up over his career I don't know.
>>
>>146784
boooo
>>
>>146784
It's been common knowledge that wrestling is fake for over half a century now but it's easy to imagine people kind of semi-thinking it's real. Obviously you'd need to be a shoot retard too fully believe wrestling is legit but it's very possible that a lot of marks had a kind of muddled cognitive dissonance when it came to their belief in wrestling. Like someone might say to them "you know it's fake right". And they'd say "yeah of course" while still kind of believing it's real. Maybe they thought the finishes were predetermined but the rest of the fight was a shoot or they though the storylines were fake but the in ring action was legit. A lot of people can be like this, even when it has nothing to do with wrestling. Look at Donald Trump's cultists and Qanon believers and the like. It's the same confused, whismsical attitude where they believe a bunch of contradictory things all at once and it comes down, in the end of the day, to them just wanting to believe it because they like it better that way.
>>
80s kid here. We knew it wasn't real but we still saw the wrestlers as tough men who would occasionally be stiff and beat the hell outta each other. Kinda like watching an old Vader or Stan Hansen match.

We knew in real life these guys could pass as mean S.o.b.s .

Now days you got 120 lbs guys acting like legit tough badasses cause they can do flips for 20 mins, then they go on twitter wearing TMNT pajamas playing with star wars toys making the sòy face.
>>
>>146784
This is like asking does anyone believe the Marvel series of movies are real in any way? Yes in the sense they are actual actors on a stage. No to everything they do on the stage and on the shows. Same thing. Everyone here suggesting "people kinda sorta", no stfu. If you sort of believed it, it was for the short time you a were a kid watching it.
>>
>>147860
We’re not talking about gay ass wwf faggot
>>
>>148679
Reminder that the guy who played Joffrey in GoT was such a convincing chickeshit heel that he got hate mail and death threats from retards who couldn't discern fantasy from reality. This mindset is more common than you think.
>>
>>146784
I used to think the main event/upper midcard matches were rigged but that the lower card stuff was a shoot
>>
>>148700
>Reminder that the guy who played Joffrey in GoT was such a convincing chickeshit heel that he got hate mail and death threats
> retards
There are retards, but assuming a vocal minority is a majority or bigger than they actually are because they do exponentially stupid shit is the mentality that has us in our current state of BLM and cancel culture. The vast vast vast vast vast vast majority of people watching wrestling in the 80's knew it was fake.
>>
>>146784
There was actually a time when people had fun
>>
>>146784
No
Everyones known Its a work since like the 30s
>>
>>146784
Wrestling's always kinda been like Santa Claus. Sure everyone knows it's fake, but you still play along with it for fun.
>>
>>146784
Pro wrestling is real. Saying pro wrestling isn't real is like saying a theater play isn't real. Of course it's real, you're looking right at it. It's happening in reality.
The word you're looking for is staged.
>>
File: Godzilla.jpg (76 KB, 640x960)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>149082
Godzilla is real. Saying Godzilla isn't real is like saying a theater play isn't real. Of course it's real, you're looking right at a recording of it. It was happening in reality.
The word you're looking for is staged.
>>
>>148275
How do you know, did he fucked you?
>>
>>149101
Based Godzilla working the jap flippy midgets
>>
People believed in the validity of the fighting to different degrees, and nearly everyone knew that the magic and shit was of course fake.
There were some people who really bought in to the characters and stories though, not helped by wrestlers having to keep kayfabe in public. Something that I've always found retarded.
>>
>>150469
>keep kayfabe in public. Something that I've always found retarded.
Its called method acting, helps immensely in acting especially if you suck at it (which is all wrestlers), besides why would wrestlers interact with fans in any other way, they're not friends they don't know them might as well fuck with them a little by pretending to be a character.
>>
>>148645
Trump called to see if Vince was ok after the limo explosion angle years ago
>>
>>146784
most people even now think it is real
>NOOOO I WAS BULLIED AS A KID FOR WATCHING IT SO THAT CAN'T BE TRUE
>>
>>146784
>did people (adults) back in the 80s and early 90s actually believe pro wrestling was unscripted, real fighting?
No.
99% of adults knew it was fake.
But the way it was faked was not as well understood as today.
>>
>>150677
He could have been calling because he thought Vince was killed off of the show because something was actually wrong with him like cancer.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.