[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pw/ - Professional Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Give it to me straight bros. No console warring, no fanboying. Is AEW any good? Is it at least better than WWE at its worst?
>>
i dont watch wwe
>>
>>145202
It's the best western promotion ever, but it's also very inconsistent in terms of quality
>>
>>145202

Thats a low bar your setting considering WWF/E nearly went out of business in the 90s and the product is far worse in the last couple years. AEW would better just by showing up and not having David Arquette vs General Manager Horswaggle in a dildo on a pole match
>>
>>145213
>best western promotion ever
No, but it is the best western promotion of the last 10-15 years. He's right about the inconsistency though.
>>
>>145202
It's okay. Too much a variety hour for my tastes
>>
>>145202
>Is AEW any good?
In my opinion the answer is no. It's never put together a cohesive show and still bases itself on an ironic take on wrestling.

>Is it at least better than WWE at its worst?
It is much, much better than RAW, about even with Smackdown, and worse than NXT.

I skip around through the best parts of Impact and NXT and get about an hour of actually entertaining wrestling a week.
>>
>>145202
>Is AEW any good?
No
Probably? I don't realy know, they're both two different kinds of cringe
>>
wwe is a 3
aew is a 4
njpw is a 7
>>
>>145202
>Is AEW any good
Very hit or miss
Yes desu
>>
>>145202
It's better than WWE but it's far from perfect
>>
>>145202
>>145256
Its alright. Its got small guys, indie guys, lots of comedy and irony and nerdiness. Its got a variety hour feel to it like anon said. WWE at its worst for me is a really bad 3 hour RAW show. Dynamite at its average show or better is always better than a bad 3 hour RAW, because a bad 3 hour RAW is one of the worst mainstream wrestling shows that has ever aired on television.
I think its about even with Smackdown and more interesting and entertaining and shocking/strange than NXT. A really dull show of NXT these days is the pits, AEW Dynamite on average is better than a dull NXT, which again, doesn't really take much.
>>
>>145202
I have issues with some of the booking, but they do plenty of things better than WWE.

I’m more interested in the characters and I find the production better (WWE is too overproduced and slick).

Also for the most part they protect their champions and don’t have them get pinned in random tag matches (it’s happened only twice if I remember).
>>
>>145202
The difference in quality between all of these western wrestling promotions is pretty negligible.
>>
>>145202
Its good but they can’t get over that hump to make them great. Tend to fumble it. Covid halted their momentum a fuck ton.
>>
in 2019 it was undefeated. went to shit fairly quickly however.

best thing it has going is it's a wrestling show that doesn't have the ear-piercing fake crowd noise and blinding thunderdome screens
>>
>>145202
Seriously answering: yes and no.
You'll get storylines, this is where they actually do good with. A story that should characters become better. You will actually get "hardcore" matches when they say hardcore matches, which is nice to see, as opposed from WWE saying hardcore and you see like two table spots, a chair shot to the back, and thats pretty much it lol.
But honestly, that's it.

What's shitty about AEW is that, it's not worth watching at all when it comes to the lower talent. They are shitty at wrestling, and they have no storylines. And they are the reason for most of the botches every fucking week. When it comes to top talent, you will get stories. but some stories are like Jericho vs OC... where it kinda ended after OC won?? No one really benefitted from it. The problem is that, it kinda ruins the show. Because shitters have to be on the show, and it's honestly not worth watching that shit, pretty much only the main event and start of the show is what is watchable, and the coom bait too.

Non-serious answers: The women are coom worthy; they have PAWGS, and they have cringe entertainment by shitters botching.
>>
The first year was good, some of the pandemic stuff was good. Since Brodies death its just not fun to watch anymore.
Plus no real crowd AEW loses a lot of its value, it exposes how shit the product is to easily.
>>
>>145521
Nah, not with the nightmare collective and dark order. Start of 2020 to February was phenomenal.
>>
>>145202
It's better than WWE at it's best right now but the problem is TK pushes too many shitters like Top Flight and Cody does too much self-mark shit like booking himself in a storyline vs Shaq, his baby's gender reveal, etc. They also do stupid shit like Brodie Lee's son being the leader of the dark order, it is so stupid and cringe. AEW's problem is cawdy and nobody wants to admit it.
>>
>>145202
Sometimes
>>
It's extremely based and the amount of seethe it creates in the dronies is awesome
>>
The good:

- The top guys sometimes do good long-term storylines

- JR and Schiavone. Even if they aren't as good as they used to be, it's a cool callback to WCW.

- They've given air time to a lot of younger guys or unknown guys who we wouldn't see otherwise.

- Unlike WWE, I think they could maybe change, but they probably won't.

- It's cool to see some of the international talent

The bad:

- They don't treat things seriously and often make a joke of wrestling.

- They have the worst fanbase ever, who is impossible to have a normal discussion with.

- They have a knack for finding the wimpiest and smallest looking people in the US, who have no business in wrestling.

- The majority of the roster has no idea what they are doing including people like Omega and The Bucks

- The promotion is filled to the brim with nepotism.

- They do too much in almost every match.

- Dave Meltzer

- Cody Rhodes' ego is getting really bad

- They love to make giants and hosses lose. It has to be intentional at this point.
>>
>>145730
I said no console war faggotry, faggot.
>>
>>145202
Honestly? No. It's terrible. It's another "sports entertainment" show where the promos and backstage segments last longer than the matches.
>>
>>145759
>JR
literally the worst thing about Dynamite week in and out. 3 man calling crews are horrid and JR slows the booth down to a crawl. Taz and Excalibur shitposting during Dark every tuesday is miles better
>>
>>145202
It’s better than wwe but it’s still shit
>>
>>145202
It is just as bad as WWE. And its cultists pretty much assure wrestling will never be good or watchable again by keeping the bar lowered to the floor.
>>
>>145202
nxt is pretty good
raw is pretty bad
smackdown is unwatchable
aew is awful
>>
>>145202
its way better then eslop
>>
>>145202
Watch and decide for yourself.
>>
>>146111
Based trip god.
>>
>>146105
i will also add njpw is just wrestling so if you only want wrestling watch that, they don't really do storylines and treat it like a sport
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (80 KB, 900x900)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Make the switch
>>
>>145547
AEW's biggest problem is that it's run by 'the boys' and not by bookers. The one's making decisions are either in the ring like Jericho, Young Cucks, and CAWdy, or Tony who wants to be 'one of the boys', so you have a lot of these terrible workers like Marko Stunt or Joey Janella who nobody wants to tell them 'hey you're kind of terrible, you need to fix your shit'. WWE/Vince essentially is too controlling so AEW is too lenient and that's almost as bad.
>>
>>145202
Yes, but it's got its own set of issues.
>>
>>145202
Is a fat dick worse or better to take in ur ear and nose than a long one?
>>
>>145213
Shut the fuck up faggot. Jesus fucking Christ. Redditor motherfucker. There's only one best and thats Attitude era of course. Go get in ur furry suit and slap ur joshilovesleeve
>>
>>145221
Wrong motherfucker thats exactly what they should do. The people love swoggle. Arquette has atoned for his sins. The people love dildos. Swaggle on your pole match. Two men are locked in a cage with Hornswoggle for three weeks. First one to fuck swagger in the ass is declared an official midgetfuckingfagget and given a pedigree by Triple H
>>
>>145547
my main problem that keeps me from watching is that the show is 90% shitters and the amount of work it would take to see 10% of the show is too high. I love NXT, and a big part of that is how easy it is just to skip around to see my boys but skip Karen Gross because the Network has little timestamps everywhere. I like like a third of that show, though. I'd just feel weird sitting down to watch 1/3 out of the 1/10 of the show that isn't comically green shitters
>>
>>145202
Depends, do you like to watch your childhood era wrestlers Matt Hardy and Chris Jericho disintegrate into fat, pathetic, diaper wearing retards, smashing their heads into concrete for wetbacks and losing an alcoholic orange juice in a pool match ?
>>
>>146119
they do have storylines, just not told in a way where you need to follow promo segments very much if at all. Definitely THE promotion if you don't give a fuck about weird soap opera shit but I do so I prefer NXT
>>
>>145202
Yes and yes it's better.
>>
>>145202
when it first started it was very much a mixed bag. now? its awful. its indy level garbage with comedy that is somehow worse than wwe. aew fanboys will sell it to you so hard on things that it isnt. the matches dont make sense, the rules are never clear, and the booking is horrendous.
>>
>>145838
All wrestling is sports entertainment and you're retarded if you think AEW spends more time in segments than wrestling.
>>
>>146153
yea this is true.
Tony needs to gain some fucking balls because this ruins AEW. I literally only watch whatever Team Taz vs Darby and Sting will go, Britt and Tony Schiavone because they actually work well lol, and Kenny vs Mox, and whatever will happen to the inner circle. Other than that, yea, everyone else is so fucking shitty. I don't mind Cody (despite his ego) but I don't care much about Shaq and I legitimately like basketball, Cody literally shined only with Lee, and I don't care about the young bucks and they are feuding with absolute shitters right now which makes them even worse.

>>146368
and i agree, I don't watch NXT all that much, but fuck if I wanted to watch some actual good wrestling here and there and someone I actually like, I know I can actually skip to see it too. AEW suffers from having shitters be part of most of the show. Sure it's good new guys are getting the opportunity but they are so green. They have dark for a reason and don't put people that actually need it on it.
>>
>>145202
If you enjoy indie wrestling, you'll probably enjoy it.
You can notice a lot of problems, probably because of lack of experience of the ones booking everything, but you can see they're usually trying to improve.
There's a few things that you either love or hate, like the comedy or the flips, so keep that in mind.

The worst things are their hardcore fans and the pace of their storylines/shows (sometimes they put multiple spotfests one after another or those moments whene thay have a PPV in just a few weeks but haven't spend any time building enough matches), but it's usually enjoyable if it's your thing.
>>
>>146412
>aew fanboys will sell it to you so hard on things that it isnt.
This whole thread essentially makes your post irrelevant considering the responses.

>>146383
Money matt has been a revival for him. His broken gimmick only works with a crowd. Jericho should be on commentary honestly soon. Had a great 2018-2019 run but now is in a tag team to cover up his age problems.
>>
>>145202
Way better than WWE, but still has a shit ton of work to do. For being less then 2 years old... they’re pretty great.
>>
>>146548
I wouldn't really blame his age, I blame his weight. Anyone will suffer from being a fatass at any age. Sure you have KO and Keith Lee, but if they are fat in a few years, it's just only to get worse. their age will affect them if they don't lose weight. Plus, Vince does think Keith is a major shitter anyway lol so.
>>
>>145202
Its not worth your time. It is a disgrace to the legacy of pro wrestling
>>
>>146567
Only so much you can do to mask age. Rock started gassing early in his wwe return and had to be carried by punk and cena. Ken shamrock stumbles around like he just got done binge drinking even when in a tag match. Those dudes have zero fat as well.
>>
>>145202
A wrestling promotion is as good as it's booking. If you dont believe that then you're a mark. You can see promotions take seemingly lesser talent and book them like stars. This isnt to say you dont need talent but it is to say that even if you have that talent, and misuse it, it's worse. AEW has some guys with potential and it has some steady vets, but the booking is atrocious and more nonsensical than WWE. And that's saying alot when youre talking about a company where a burn victim heals in one week. But AEW is so much worse. Its basically Khan playing with real life toys. His booking decisions are him literally recreating scenarios from the past with guys. And still fucking it up. Angles arrive from no where and go nowhere. They legit seem to get forgotten. There is no build or payoff to these arcs either. People switch between heel and face and it doesnt feel natural. Worse it doesnt add anything to the matches. The matches end up just being matches for the sake of matches. When it isnt confusing because they assumed you watched Dark, or Impact, its just uninteresting. People flipping around in 6 man tags with no rules. Or "hardcore" no rules matches that are just the regular matches they have with weapons. Theyre constantly battling outside for so long or having run ins and interference that it doesnt seem any normal match has a strict set of rules. Instead its what the wrestlers want to obey at the time being to do a spot. And that's it. You might like it for a bit because its new and maybe they have a familiar face or new person you find interesting. But ultimately it gets stale. It feels like youre watching a Twitch stream of someone's 2k19 fed.
>>
File: _79e43baa_1280.jpg (176 KB, 1024x730)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>145202
i've given it a try multiple times but it's just so carney. sometimes you'll get 3-4 tag matches in a row and they're all the same flip to the outside shit

just because wwe is shit it doesn't automatically mean AEW is good too. it's probably more watchable than raw, but the oversaturation of the same-y tag matches and characters makes it hard to get invested. it's why the ratings are constantly ay 700k, only the hardcore fans can really enjoy this shit
>>
>>145213
>best western promotion
I don't necessarily know about that, but--
>ever
Holy fucking retard alert.
>>
Was better pre covid. Don't give it a watch till crowds are back, they got lazy once the lockdowns happened.
>>
>>146764
They take the new japan approach where you will get tag matches instead of a standard one on one to save the latter matches for ppvs or special dynamites. Thing is, new japan isn't a weekly show. This could be remedied by giving the women two matches per card or implementing a young lion system with the dark talent that have potential being shown on dynamite. And i don't mean brandon cutler, joey janela, ryan nemeth or peter avalon either.
>>
>>145202
Yes.
>everyone on the card is entertaining (except Cody lol), not just the main event of the show
>moves are athletic
>storytelling is good
>lots of fresh faces are over
>every week unexpected stuff happens
>they promote next week's card to let you know what matches will be worth your time
>they take the best of what worked in the past and have thrown away the cringey stuff in wrestling WWE has done over the last 20 years that no one liked
>gimmick matches are kept special instead of stuff like Hell in a Cell being just another match type. There's only been one steel cage match to date if I recall. Maybe two.
>you can tell everyone involved in the company is having fun
>Hangman fucks

The crowds when they were allowed to have full crowds before Covid were also as lively as 90s wrestling. It was insane. After NJPW, it's the best promotion out there.
>>
>>145296
Agreed
>>
>>145202
It's a lot better than WWE but not as good as NJPW is now and nowhere near as good as NJPW was before the elite left which is what we all wanted it to be. But yeah if you watch WWE over AEW you have brain problems.
>>
>>147707
NJPW was great after the elite left, it just struggled in 2020.
AEW is pretty good though even if they have their problems. The Elite have finally come into their own now and living up to the potential.
>>
File: 1603120284452.jpg (1.03 MB, 1439x1461)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>145202
>Is AEW any good?
Meh sometimes, usually OK, can be really good once in a while. It's very inconsistent. I will say that as far as I'm concerned, I don't think there's a terrible episode ever since there's at least 1 match per episode that manages to capture my full attention.
I'll give them credit though, sometimes a card that looks meh sometimes can give a pretty good show.

100% yes. I like the in-ring action a bit more even though they're spot monkeys and generally the scripts, promos, and what not doesn't feel completely forced and robotic.
>>
>>145202
it's garbage
>>
>>145296
>It's never put together a cohesive show and still bases itself on an ironic take on wrestling.

These are just empty buzzwords
>>
>>145213
This. When it's good it's really based and when it's bad its really annoying.
Probably depends on what you expect and like but for me the positive way outweighs the negatve
>>
>>145202
It's ok, Impact is better.
>>
The only thing I can say is, watch a few shows and see if it's your thing. If I had to recommend a show, it would be last year's revolution, but having live crowds is almost cheating
>>
With WWE you have no idea what's going to happen because they have no idea what's going to happen. With AEW some angles are telegraphed months and months in advance. AEW feels more like WCW in late 95 and early 96. Its a solid show, but its missing that spark often.
>>
>>148395
Impact desperately needs a crowd. Wrestling without even a small crowd is horrid
>>
>>145202
Very good around a year ago. Slowly going downhill ever since but hopefully picks up steam when crowds are back. Last but not least, even at its worst its way way way better than WWE.
I was a lapsed fan and right around the time Dynamite debuted, I took the opportunity to watch both promotions to give it an honest to god chance without any prejudices. I was unironically disgusted by RAW and Smackdown. The camera work were horrible, the stories very very bad, the wrestling was boring and it felt like they insulted my intelligence or maybe it was aimed towards kids or something.
>>
I never thought i would see a reasonable discussion on this shithole. I guess /asp/ really is dead.
>>
File: 1607293840887.png (52 KB, 643x191)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>145202
When it's good it's really and good and when it's bad it's really, really bad
I remember watching the episode with the first round of the eliminator tournament last year and going to sleep with a asmile on my face, it had great matchups with actual competent talent, the problem is that right now we haven't had a good all around card since Winter Is Coming which was almost three months ago. One of AEW's biggest problems is that when they have to book filler matches they go with the most boring and bottom of the barrel talent and book them against the better part of the roster hoping it will cancel out, for example: Cody Vs Peter Avalon or Pockets Vs Luther, this gets even worse when you remember people like Team Taz haven't had a match on Dynamite since forever, meanwhile we're getting Jake Hager Vs Brandon Cutler next week for some reason
>>
>>146868
>Giving women two matches per card
This
Reminder that Britt Vs Anna Jay was supposed to happen on yt
>>
>>145202
As someone who hasn't watched WWE since 2008, I enjoy the show. It feels like WCW done right
>>
>>145202
if you like watching a bunch of pointless matches, then its good
>>
>>145202
It's fine. It's the only western promotion I watch, but I haven't sat down weekly in the last few weeks, but I enjoy what I see. I miss Mox as champ though. The time to watch AEW was from January 1st of 2020 till the end of Revolution.
>>
File: 1388455593798.jpg (30 KB, 599x337)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>147844
This anon gets it
>>
>>145202
AEW is far from perfect and despite being an AEWtist I know it's got some glaring issues. But to me at least it's more entertaining than WWE.
>>
>>147844
All of these points are true, it’s the consistency and the goofiness and bad booking are the biggest problems that AEW have. But they’re also full of surprises. Jungle boy vs Dax Harwood sounds bad on paper but was a massive surprise. And then you get crap like what Kenny is up to. AEW as currently is still better than the worst E offers from time to time.
>>
>>148420
Impact literally feels like a ring in a void and it hurts to look at. I’m glad they’ve kept on rolling just to survive but they deserve a crowd just for pops and to bring some life back to it
>>
>>148438
The big problem I find with E is that they’re content to offer crap over a 3 hour format as they know they’re getting fat off the sponsor and TV money. Why do they need to improve as there’s no incentive to. I can’t watch a full 3 hour show anymore. From a production standpoint they need to be razed to the ground, the Vince hangers-on need to be executed on air, as do creative who are literal window-licking retarded, and a fresh start with a professional crew would give E a shine back to it.
>>
>>148516
I honestly would prefer a leaner card if it meant better quality wrestling was on offer. E would massively improve if it wasn’t such a long hard slog to watch through. The best of AEW and the worst is such a massive gap in terms of talent
>>
>>148551
I’m hoping they lean into the WCW nostalgia more, I grew up watching it
>>
>>145202
>Give it to me straight
Said no AEW fan ever.
>>
>>148622
You’ve not missed out. Now feels the right time to take the belt back off Kenny as he’s done little with it other than harm his image
>>
>>148725
Curved dick syndrome is a thing Bill Clinton had
>>
>>148730
Was afraid that was gonna happen.
I'd kinda wish AEW would stick to it's guns a bit more, it's very.. adaptive. I don't imagine Kenny's reign was gonna be so Impact/tag team focused, but it feels like they got a partnership and now the storyline revolves around that. They don't good job at listening to the fans and knowing something isn't good, but sometimes I feel like they don't have a sharp vision as to what they want to do. It kinda feels like a "cool we'll add that" mentality
>>
>>148720
They were gonna do WarGames pre-COVID

>>148730 >>148743
It's been literally one feud
>>
>>148743
If anything Kenny’s reign feels directionless other than the nods and winks and he’s more of a champion for smarks than anyone. I do give them credit where if they see something that isn’t working they’ll drop it as soon as feasible but yeah narratively they need a stronger more direct voice. What’s going on between Team Taz and Sting? Or the Inner Circle crap. The problem I hind is find is that an angle is prolonged longer than it needed to be and Jericho vs MJF should’ve been on the cards by now
>>
>>148768
It was on a card last year
>>
>>148767
The one feud really feels like it’s been going on forever. And who’s Kenny defended against? Jelly Nutella? I’d have liked to have seen him doing more actual wrestling and less of the smark heel thing he’s doing
>>
>>145202
Is it better then WWE. but its not really good overall. there are stuff thats good, but less and less as time goes on. It mainly feels like its running at total stand still. How many moths ago that Impact invasion happened and jack shit has happened.
>>
>>145202
It's like the Attitude Era if the guys were better workers and the storylines made sense.
>>
>>148779
>I’d have liked to have seen him doing more actual wrestling and less of the smark heel thing he’s doing

Anon you're unironically being worked
>>
I love AEW but without crowds the show is really starting to wear on me
>>
>>145202
Too much of AEW feel like one storyline. X going heel or y going babyface. It is really strange from comppany that dosent belive in babyfaces or heels.
>>
>>148704
>as do creative who are literal window-licking retarded
You can only put so much blame on creative when Vince is well known to shitcan scripts like an hour before the show and rewrite everything himself. Makes you wonder why they even bother having a creative team.
>>
>>145759
>No console wars
>Being an idiotic "console wars" mark

Stupid idiot, you had one job
>>
>>148824
t. slopbrain
>>
>>145202
>Its good?

Yes

>Better than WWE

Better than NXT
Better than IMPACT
Much better than SD
Incredible better than RAW

Period.
>>
>>148850
>Inner circle storyline
>Bucks, kenny and good brothers
Both main event feuds are literally who will turn against who. These followed that adam page storyline and that strange bucks storyline where they beat people up in backstage. Its just too much when week after week its teasing of heel or babyface turn.
>>
>>148890
>dosent belive in babyfaces or heels.

your brain is fucking runny
>>
>>145202
if you like a soibitch show for tranny redditors, you'll enjoy AEW.
>>
>>148846
I agree with a lot of that post and AEW do have a fanbase that doesn’t take criticism very well or are unable to have banter. I think if AEW fans were less aggressive and elitist then AEW would be more popular
>>
>>149320
>Another 'console wars' basement dweller creep
>>
>>145202
it's fun until they bring literal kids out to wrestle
>>
>>149320
wwe sucks
>>
>>149487
Not every post disagreeing with AEW is console warring.
>>
>>149320
This. They can get very annoying
>>
>>145202
Worst pro wrestling on earth.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.