[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 88699.jpg (585 KB, 1200x1200)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
Has anyone used a paper cutting plotter? Are they worth it?
>>
NTA seconding this.
>>
>>604949
>Are they worth it?

This
>>
>>604949
Only for really big, simple stuff. Not for any kind of advanced papercraft figures or anything at all. But for kids stuff and for really lazy people that don't know how to use scissors or knives. I bet you 10000 bucks that I cut stuff out more precise and faster than any of these overrated machines. Hate them really
>>
>>605001
>I cut stuff out more precise and faste

Sure anon. But have you tried cutting the same piece over 100 times for, say, selling your work? I bet you'll try killing yourself after a while.
>>
>>605006
True. But then again, why buy a machine that cuts out these simple pieces and makes it look crappy. Can you sell your work then if the cuts are wonky as hell? I still don't see any benefit to this really. And if you are an indutrial business, you got other means of cutting stuff, not with these lame-ass machines. Again, my oppinion. But it's the same as, for instance, banana cutters - people actually buy those useless knive molds that you put your peeled banana in so it cuts it to smaller even pieces, while I can do the same with my kinfe, as much as any 8-year-old can. For me personally, these are a waste of space, money and resources and make lazy people even lazier.
>>
>>604949
aren't these things super slow at cutting?
>>
>>604949
Mine has definitely been worth it. I typically use it to cut stencils for spray paint, but also use it for decals, cutting iron on designs for shirts, pop-up cards, writing calligraphy, and kirigami. You can also use it to apply gold foil, or to cut perforations/make creases.
>>
>>605001
Anon you must not have much experience with them, because you would lose that bet. Could you cut this as symmetrical in less than 30 seconds? And it gets more precise than this, this is just the example file they cut for you to show you how it works.
>>
File: Screenshot_.jpg (470 KB, 1079x1406)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
Not bad for a hobby
>>
>>604949
>>
>>605015
They are much faster than a skilled human attempting the same thing and more precise if you know how to read a manual to set them up right. Hell, laser cutters are "slow" for similar reasons of the electric motors having to move the head around the axis of the gantry. They do make an ungodly noise while working though, so don't try running one while anyone in the house is trying to sleep. One thing you will need to do is figure out how to keep your cutting mat at the right level of tack to not have your sheet move about. Initially a new sheet will be so sticky that you can't remove the sheet without tearing. I like to stick an old T-shirt to it and remove it about a half dozen times to temper the adhesive. After using it for a while you can clean it and then hit it with a can of spray adhesive and repeat the T-shirt thing until it is where you want it to be.
>>
Any recommendations on brand or model for an entry level machine?
>>
why not just buy a cheap laser cutter/engraver, you can pick up them up for like $100
>>
I own a silhouette portrait to make stickers and cut vinyl. Best purchase I've done.
>>
Silhouette sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look.

What's a good laser cutter?
>>
I think they're worth every penny. I use it to make anime / hentai stickers.
>>
>>605407
That's wonderfully dainty and intricate. Good job
>>
File: plant.jpg (2.81 MB, 1687x3000)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
Wife uses Cricut Maker all the time. Software is shit.

>>605495
Great advice on the spray glue and T-shirt. Great money saver thanks anon
>>
>>606557
Do you have the files for the plant guy?
>>
>>606585
Try this m8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcqd4j7j1fn0mbw/Monster%20Plant.zip?dl=0
>>
>>606625
Cheers!
>>
>>605743
Where the hell are you getting laser cutters for 100?

The only cheaper paper cutting machine I know is $100 used which is cricut joy. I think it's worth it though.
>why buy a machine that cuts out these simple pieces and makes it look crappy.
Anon has never used one of these machines before. They don't make crappy cuts nor does it have any issue cutting intricate shapes.
>banana cutters - people actually buy those useless knive molds...while I can do the same with my kinfe
This is not a good comparison. It's more equivalent to a whisk, and an electric hand mixer lmao.

I use the cricut, and while it does have a lot of flaws, none of the above are it. The biggest issue is the initial start up cost. The machines start at $200 with a decent useable surface area of 12 x 12. So if you aren't super into papercraft it's a fairly expensive investment. If you want to cut a lot of material you have to buy overpriced knives and the software is shit. But software con can be solved if u just create in .ai and export it as .svg.

Be creative with it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.