[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I need to buy a new printer and it must be an inkjet. I’ve shopped around but I can’t make a decision on which one to get. Right now I’m looking seriously at the Epson EcoTank line of printers just because I tend to print a ton of stuff for my projects and the tank makes it easy to refill.

I’m not sure about the print quality, though. Any recommendations anons could make would be appreciated. My budget is ~$350.
>>
no one needs a printer
>>
>>601036
My recommendation is to ask this question on
https://www.printerforums.net/
>>
>>601038
Fair enough. I just thought considering this is paper craft it’s as good a place as any.

>>601037
How would you recommend I print onto paper then?
>>
>>601039
Gutenberg Press, or just practice calligraphy/drawing
>>
>>601041

Could be really quirky and make your own linoleum stamps too if you want a simplistic design you can constantly apply to paper. Though it would also require good paint that doesn't mess up during folds, including some tough paper as well.

Not gonna lie I'd like to see that, with how pretty linoleum designs look, anyone got anything to share?
>>
>>601050
That sounds pretty sweet desu. How would one go about getting started stamp making?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>601058

Man there's a whole lot to linoleum printing, if you want me to go on about the whole thing then I'll happily share but, I'll just share how I was taught in my middle school art class.

For the design of stamps, we made really shitty designs of these animals from a book we copied from. My first one I made was a deer with mountains in the background, sadly I do not have any pictures for my shitty deer. There are ALL kinds of designs you can honestly do, I would look up some nice ones online that'll let you copy it, or even if you have one you want to make that works too, just have fun with it at first but don't go all out, it'll look shitty at first but, hey that's what art is all about, practice makes perfect.

After said design we would sand the block down, then transfer the design to the block, and start carving away having the block in place.

There are at least two things to keep in mind, that the stamp will obviously be reversed of the original image and that you can do layers as well, we did layers to separate line work from color work, though honestly that should come later, people primarily just use one layer in their designs.

After you've carved away your design, you take any high quality acrylic paint, apply it to a brayer, and then use the brayer on the stamp to apply the paint, but don't use too much. Then you can finally apply the stamp to the paper you're using. You can leave it with a border to be able to number it/name it which is typical in old fashioned printing or just to have a nice border. And then you're pretty much done! Just let it dry and don't forget to stamp your designs onto other papers as well just so you can have copies, and of course you can keep your stamp if you want, that's what is amazing about it.

In my next post here I'll give you resources on tools and whatnot, if you'd like I can also hunt for some really good online tutorials, because I don't think what I've displayed in text is really good enough.
>>
>>601072
>>601058

A Deluxe Kit from Speedball which includes all basic needs - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027AGDWK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZJRYAS0ZM4YE9GYDHVZ1

This will make applying the stamp onto the paper much easier all throughout - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IG27OK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BCSZWGB0BWDYBCAB8RGF

This is a company I use all the time for my own art stuff, I find it to be personally quite HQ, but this is the paper I would recommend - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPD0OHO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MBA91P9WESTKPRT4PBNK

Carbon paper! We used grids to transfer our designs but, to make it easier I suggest using Carbon Transfer Paper - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YR1G30/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VY7TA4BM7XJYCZG9RJV8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would use Speedball in terms of tools because it's what these guys do the best, plus I'm pretty sure they're the only ones that really do printing without being cheap. Though in terms of the ink, I would use something as high quality as possible, especially if you want to make papercraft out of it.

I also forgot to mention that you can do the same thing on clothes as well! Just make sure you use Speedball's ink that allows you to use it on clothes as well so you don't wash away the ink.

It's been about 4 years since I've done printing myself, and all those prints I made were tossed or else I'd share those too. But if you have anymore questions or want a good tutorial just let me know and I'll happily share to the best of my ability. Cheers!
>>
>>601072
>>601073
Based and thank you, anon. I genuinely appreciate your response. This is definitely something I will try!
>>
>>601036
I have this exact model. I only use it once every 2 weeks or so and it needs the print heads cleaned every time. If you're using it every day this shouldn't be an issue
>>
I have a Brother MFC-j4410dw wide format printer (11x17)... It'll handle 110# cardstock, and ink is fairly cheap... You can find them on ebay for well under your limit... When my 7 year old one finaly started wearing out, I got a nearly new one for just under $100 on ebay.
>>
File: 71aG7Q07DYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (115 KB, 1500x1230)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
I took the plunge and purchased a Canon Pixma G6020. Honestly it's one of the best purchases I have made. I've had it for months and the tanks are only about halfway empty. The quality is great, though this is from experience with only old HP Photosmart printers that I kept running well past their date. The only thing I wish it could do is wide format prints so I could more easily make my own posters.
>>
>>601036
Why do epson represent cyan as pale blue? What in the actual fuck.
>>
>>601036
I recommend and HP printer that has an instant ink subscription if you like to do lots of papercraft projects. Its a subscription service based on the number of pages you want to print a month and HP will send you high yield ink cartridges. You if you run out of ink before you use what ever page limit is HP will send you more cartridges for free.So its good for people who like to print books, paper craft,school worksheets and photos. They have 10 page, 50 page, 100 page, 300 page and 700 page a month subscription services. Which ranges from a dollar for the 10 pages a month to 25 dollars for the 700 page a month subscription service.
>>
>>601036
any flatbed.
>>
zamn good thread
>>
>>601072
I loved doing lino in HS and macrame in primary school. Why did I stop?
>>
I find it odd that expensive printers do not have space for A3 paper .anytime I have to send pics to email_ go to the library and print them off at 30pence for b &w £1 for colour .But like you said it's great for posters and bigger schematic that can be carbon traced onto tissue paper
>>
>>603294
What kind of paper do you use
>>
>>601036
cannon
>>
>>601036
A printer origami??
>>
>>601036
Inkjets are a scam. Get an epso. Colorworks c7 instead
>>
File: Capture.jpg (227 KB, 2559x1265)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
i got spoiled on home printers
I ran a print shop for years, had multiple production machines and a few wide format printers, as in 40+ inches wide.
Can't bring myself to buy a home printer now, they all fucking suck.
Wanna say I had one of these, or an earlier model version, its been a while.
HP says they're only 8k, maybe I'll pick one up and print posters again.
>>
>>601036
Brother printers are the best - BTFO all other brands in quality but also value to customer - they don't have screwy practices like the scanner not working if your out of ink on the printer type shenanigans.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.