[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/po/ - Papercraft & Origami

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 6 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

🙏 RIP Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka 🙏
Our dad who disowned us

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ToyWank.jpg (1.4 MB, 3220x1700)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
How does /po/ design their toys?

I make solder together tin toys. Kind of like papercraft I suppose except more burnt fingers and metal splinters. I print my templates, glue them to sheet tin, then cut/fold/solder as needed. I would like to do more complex curves like boat hulls, vehicle panels, aircraft curves etc, but I am hitting walls with my current and only method, creating a polygon model in SketchUp then braking it down to basic components. A nice curved yacht hull would be a bitch with this method though.

Does /po/ have any protips?
>>
File: PopPopTemplate.jpg (87 KB, 1300x920)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>597100
Pic related is the template I snarfed for the boat hull, how I would go about modelling the curves then "unfolding" this shape is what I am wondering about. Also, apologies if off topic. I guess I'll find out in about 3 weeks once this thread has been seen by.. anyone :^)
>>
>>597100
I personally like to think about what I want to make, look at reference photos, then sketch out a blueprint and parts list. Then I make it out of wood and glue with tools over the course of however long.

One day I hope to work up the nerve to try painting my models, doubt it since I'm incompetent.
>>
File: SliderPBY.jpg (130 KB, 1600x700)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>597102
It's not so much a concept problem, more an execution problem.

For example, I would love to do a pic related PBY-5 but how I would template the hull eludes me. The DC-3 was easy until I got to the nose, but the long swept hull of this aircraft baffles me. I know the design software I use cannot easily into curves, and the ones I can do cannot be flattened into a 2D shape. The boats in OP were to try and get an understanding of thew shapes involved but they are flat bottomed and again, someone else's template.

Maybe I'm using the wrong software? Are curved hulls and pods like this even a thing in /po/?

> painting
You'll never be competent if you don't try. Go buy a bag of army men and practice painting them up. See how much detail you can get out of it. Buy those cheap chink airfix ripoffs and do the same if you prefer vehicles over figurines. Don't buy the airbrush hype, you'll still need brushes to do detail and weathering, get a nice mixed bag of brushes from a hobby shop and have at it.
>>
3D model then flatten. The more polygons to the curve the smoother the result.
>>597207
>PBY-5
Plenty of papercraft to examine and study for examples.
>>
File: BrysonTemplates.jpg (87 KB, 1075x568)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>597220
>3D model then flatten.
Precisely what I do, which should have been evident form my OP pic.

I'm certain I can go and just lift someone else's template, but that does not teach me anything other than effective theft techniques, certainly not how to take a rounded shape and flatten it without getting a polygonal mess, nor which application to do it in. I also sell these things, so the design must be my own.

Lurking around on /po/ more over the past week it seems you guys don't really do curves either, just low poly blocks. I have since discovered Pepakura but again, it's just basic lines, no ability for more sophisticated shapes it seems. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what origami is all about and it's like Kintsugi, the whole point is the flaws? (or in this case, working within the limitations?)

Third try before I fuck off back to /diy/ I suppose, as succinctly as possible this time. Consider a banana. It is a curved, 3D shape with no polygons, which, when peeled, can be flattened to a 2D shape. Is there any software or drawing technique that will allow me to achieve the same outcome?
>>
>>597226
Metal Earth models might help you visualize the flattening deconstruction process.
>>
>>597239
I understand the flattening process (I also have their Titanic model sitting on my desk at work). I have posted at least three examples of flattened objects ITT. I need to get to the point where I have an object to flatten. It's a design problem, not an execution problem.

I have to assume, since no one has made a single mention of design process short of this guy's tepid response >>597102, that /po/ just works from other peoples designs, no one actually creates anything original here. That's surprising and disappointing but then again this is 4chan, so it should be neither I suppose. I'll fuck off and poke /3/ instead.
>>
>>597100
Wow
>>
>>597226
>>597243
Consider using blender to make your models. Importing curves from sketchup to pep is not satisfactory I find. With blender you can add as many vertices you want in a curve and pepakura will HAVE to plot them.

Pepakura is very "you get what you give" and the your satisfaction with the model can be largely influenced by your skill as a 3d modeller. As for linework, I don't fully understand your complaint when you say "just basic lines". Pep is not really a drawing tool, its an unfolding tool. That said you can still edit line thickness and color, and when that isn't enough, you can import the pdf into inkscape and edit it to your satisfaction.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.