[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 94 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dp.jpg (561 KB, 1560x1244)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
Graphic edition

All video related questions and discussion is intended for this thread. Here we discuss techniques, gear and anything else related to capturing video footage. Please don't pretend to be an expert if you don't know what you're talking about. Kindly leave your ego at the door.
Posting short films/scripts or other work you've done is encouraged.
We tend to use and recommend DSLRs/mirrorless cameras because they provide phenomenal picture quality for their price, have large sensors (ie the same size used in high-end cinema cameras and higher) and have interchangeable lenses.
In contrast, consumer camcorders normally have much smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

>STICKY -https://textbin.net/2u146abxla
>Helpful guide, additional books and more in-depth FAQs - https://web.archive.org/web/20200926115310/https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ

>NO ONE CARES WHAT AN EXPERT YOU THINK YOU ARE. IF YOU’RE ASKING BASIC-AS-SHIT QUESTIONS, YOU CAN’T BE ALL THAT GREAT. SEE ABOVE

Previous thread >>4104205

Quick FAQS
>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?
The blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k
>>what’s a good beginner video camera?
Anything that works, shoots at least 1080p and preferably has interchangeable lenses. Any recommendation beyond that will cause arguments so read the fucking sticky if that isn't satisfactory.
>Can I use a zoom lens for video?
Yes
>Do I need cine lenses?
No
>Do I need 4k?
No. It will make your footage look sharper if it’s in focus, and it gives you breathing room in post. But 1080p is still absolutely fine
>Can someone tell me if my video is any good?
Yes, but be prepared to receive harsh criticism. If you're going to waste 5 minutes of our time with a shitty out-of-focus montage of nothing then we'll tell you that it's crap
>>
>>4117802
More like cinefag thread hijack edition
>>
>>4117802
>>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?
>The blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k
horrible advice, borderline unusable without hundreds spent on ancillary shit
>>
>>4117869
What is the better option then?
>>
>>4117869
We've been over this before, several times.
If you list those "additional expenses", they're all expenses that theoretically every camera needs.
>external monitor
Not needed moreso than any other mlc/dslr
>power supply
So many dslrs and mlcs need a better solution for video work than the battery they come with.
>cage
100% a meme. Helpful sure. Not needed.
I'd bet money that you're a panasonic faggot who wants to recommend a gh5/6, or an s5 to everyone.
>>
>>4117874
GH5, GH4, a6600 are better for a shoestring budget
>>4117883
IBIS, articulated screen are much better.
>>
>>4117888
>are much better
Meant to say much more important for the shoestring budget filmmaker.
Also external monitors are less needed when your camera can record straight to video card in usable formats.
>>
>>4117890
>record straight to video card
ahhh I'm still half asleep
record video straight to (memory) card
>>
>>4117869
it says "budget", not abject poverty
>>
>>4117888
>>4117890
>IBIS, articulated screen are much better.
>less needed when your camera can record straight to video card in usable formats.
People were using cameras without ibis perfectly happily for a decade. And they still do. It's called a tripod, every filmmaker needs one.
An articulated screen is nice but not needed at all.
The bmp4k can record decent formats straight to card without an external recorder.
So none of these justify whining that you need to spend loads of money to make the camera usable in a way that other cameras don't need.
>>
>>4117899
>People were using cameras without ibis perfectly happily for a decade. And they still do. It's called a tripod, every filmmaker needs one.
It's also called a steadicam and costs like 5k.
>An articulated screen is nice but not needed at all.
You need it to not waste certain shots and have to redo them time and time again hoping they come out alright unless you want to do some kind of periscope contraption.
>The bmp4k can record decent formats straight to card without an external recorder.
Fair enough, just checked and you're right.
Still no better than GH5.
>>
>>4117905
>steadicam
>for a bmp4k
Are you fucking retarded or just pretending? You get a gimbal if you need that shot, and it costs 300 bucks and you need it regardless of whether or not you have ibis.
>ou need it to not waste certain shots
Or, you be at all competent at filming shit.
>Still no better than GH5.
So you're a panasonic fanboy just like I said? Jesus fucking christ you're so transparent
>>
>>4117947
You're better of with ibis compared to shitty gimbal for 300 bucks.
>>
>>4117813
Dude you did not understand the context of what I said at all in your ironic sarcastic gen Z to millennial brain. Strangely you kinda answered my statement.

What I'm talking about is a red herring all because someone just comes off as cringe. It doesn't make sense.

Society strangely now is predicated on red herrings.
>>
>>4117947
>Are you fucking retarded or just pretending? You get a gimbal if you need that shot, and it costs 300 bucks and you need it regardless of whether or not you have ibis.
Steadycam works as well for any camera. I was halfway dishonest though, you can always rent.
>Or, you be at all competent at filming shit.
By competent you mean able to rig a makeshift periscope for low shots?
>So you're a panasonic fanboy just like I said? Jesus fucking christ you're so transparent
I named the Sony a6600 too.
BMPCC4K is simply not meant to be used alone. The best camera for low budgets is the one that frees up the most budget while delivering quality footage. BMPCC4K doesn't do that, it's basically a B-roll camera for existing cinema rigs.
>>
>>4117812
I think cinefag fucked off
>>
>>4117950
Shit b8
>>4117983
>Steadycam works as well for any camera.
Yeah, and you can put $20k cinema lenses on any camera. Doesn't mean it's even slightly needed
>By competent you mean able to rig a makeshift periscope for low shots?
No, I mean able to use a camera without needing an articulating screen as has been done by cinematographers and videographers for decades.
>The best camera for low budgets is the one that frees up the most budget while delivering quality footage
For its price, you cannot get a more capable camera than the bmp4k. It's not perfect for everyone, no camera is. But for anyone asking the stupid-ass question "what's the best camera on the market that I can actually afford?" (because they got mad if you say an arri alexa), then it's the best camera.
>>
>>4118005
The quote in the OP gives it away, he was saying it the other day
>>
>>4118005
Found the post, based searchable archives
>>4112276
>>
File: 428-packs-arri-sr3.png (151 KB, 600x600)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>4118006
>Yeah, and you can put $20k cinema lenses on any camera. Doesn't mean it's even slightly needed
Whatever, you do need some sort of stabilization for handheld shots unless shaky cam is the goal.
>No, I mean able to use a camera without needing an articulating screen as has been done by cinematographers and videographers for decades.
They had rigs that allowed it and often had articulated viewfinders. Pic related.
>For its price, you cannot get a more capable camera than the bmp4k. It's not perfect for everyone, no camera is. But for anyone asking the stupid-ass question "what's the best camera on the market that I can actually afford?" (because they got mad if you say an arri alexa), then it's the best camera.
GH5 is better though. In which way is BMPCC4K more capable for the budget filmmaker?
>>
>>4118028
>GH5 is better though. In which way is BMPCC4K more capable for the budget filmmaker?
not that guy, but i think sometimes the arguments come from what people call entry level on the board. if you mean budget filmmaker in the sense of someone familar with photo/video, but wants to make films and needs to keep the budget down, i think the blackmagic is better. you get a davinci account and access to a more "pro" tier type of workflow for someone shooting narrative films. you really should rig it out, but it isn't mandatory. if you mean best camera for a total that has never owned a camera before even for photos, which i think a lot of beginner posters are, i would totally recommend something like a used gh5 where they will have to learn less to get started. though, part of me would want to recommend just starting with a cellphone and spending the money on lights and audio.
>>
>>4118035
I started on an arri alexa. I had to suck so much dick to afford it.
I’m going to be going camping and my friend wants me to bring my camera and record for his youtube channel. What are some interesting things to tape for a camping video? This is not the typical style of content i would video tape.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4118052
Look up camping videos on youtube and imitate whichever one has the most views, or has the one that you vibe the best with (depends on if you want to make something popular, or something you'll like)
>>
>>4118035
>you get a davinci account and access to a more "pro" tier type of workflow for someone shooting narrative films.
How is that a plus with torrents existing? gh5 gives you hassle free experience, with blackmagic, gl on servicing lol.
>>
>>4118052
I think he's gone a-wall because he found out he could type Zach in the name bar.
>>
The point anon is trying to do is that he is ashamed Stacey won't date him because her parents find him repulsive and disgusting so he feels the need to show this gentleman how much of a closeted repulsion he is to get Stacey to like him. That's funny. If you want Stacey to like you just get off your ass instead of proving how other people don't get off their ass.
>>
>>4118058
>How is that a plus with torrents existing?
i have no idea, i don't torrent any software. it's all payshit for work or freeshit at home. do people torrent the paid version of resolve for the extra features or just use the free version?
>gl on servicing lol
i've used bm cams since before the first pocket. they are buggy as fuck on release, but i've never had customer service issues. i'm sure panasonic service is just as good as long as you keep your receipts and i'm not a brand follower, i'm an equal opportunity gear whore
>>
>start a youtube channel of my landscape videos
>2k views in 3 weeks
>1 subscriber
lol what am i even doing

Image Width264
Image Height400
>>
>>4118145
You're doing something still. Content creation is about the art of it not the reception.
>>
>>4118145
Post videos
>>
>>4118060
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know what awol means???
>>
>>4117874
i use a c100 mkii.
>>
It’s the weekend, time to get on the fun work train.
>>
>>4117869
Sony FDR-AX53 and Canon EOS 250d come to mind
>>
File: 7f1.gif (3.94 MB, 640x640)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB GIF
I am a complete and utter gigachad. I take photos of hot Playboy, Sports Illustrated, and Maxim all day long. The hot women let me take photos of them for free because I'm such a chad.
>>
>>4118831
Falseflag more faggot
>>
Promist vs cinebloom for an always on lens filter. I’m also curious because everyone seems to be using it to get a “Film” look. What if you placed it on a film camera? I have yet to see a video where that has been tested.

Image Width3072
Image Height1728
>>
>>4119492
glimmerglass
>>
>>4119505
Do you own the glimmerglass? Why do you prefer it? Also is it possible to post if images taken with the filter?

Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
>>
Here is my test shot of 60fps slow motion. Strangely it doesn't even look like slow motion.
>>
>>4119761
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDTleFjRAE
>>
>>4118145
>2k views
I've seen channels where people post for years and never get 10 views on a video
>>
File: P1001065.jpg (1.43 MB, 2310x1734)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>4119505
correct
>>4119758
>Why do you prefer it?
its more versatile for an "always on" filter, the other two are more stylized.

>images
pic related is NO filter, ill show filter in the next post

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-GH6
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2023:01:03 21:59:28
Exposure Time1/5 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length65.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: P1001066.jpg (1.36 MB, 2310x1734)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>4119783
with glimmerglass 1 on the lens

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDC-GH6
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 12.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2023:01:03 21:59:28
Exposure Time1/5 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length65.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4119783
>>4119784
Thank you for taking the time to post these. From what i have seen this does seem a lot more subtle than the pro mist and cinebloom.
>>
>>4119761
Good job posting a link, moron
>>
>>4119492
i have several promists and they can make your shots look too much like 80-90s film due to all the glow, it can be a bit glowy if you have too many light sources in the shot or you don't want that effect. you can glam the fuck out of portraits, though. as you imagine the effect on film varies on the stock and speed a little, I've only tried it on basic bitch 35mm shit like tri-x and superia, but i'm going to try it on my mamiya to make retro family portraits this year.
>>
>>4119989
Can i trouble you to upload some stills taken with the promist so i can compare it to the glimmerglass?
>>
>>4120222
I'll take a camera with me to work, but it will be hard to find small light sources like the other anon.
>>
>>4120257
Obviously there is no rush. You’re doing me a huge favor. My next project has a portion where the protagonists is disoriented and dealing with some mild surrealism and I am thinking a filter might work really well to enhance that.
>>
File: zero.jpg (2.23 MB, 4000x890)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>4120308
Sorry, it was rain/snowing/high wind so I had to improv. Left to right = nothing -> black promist 1/4 -> black promist 1/2.

Camera Modellmao even
>>
File: edward-wood-jr.jpg (277 KB, 789x1024)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
Want to know something? Have as much fun as this guy did with filmmaking. Screw making a "perfect" image, make an image you love.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width789
Image Height1024
>>
Another important thing as a photographer and filmography is to not be a slave to the dollar or a slave to the people. Make art for the love of it. Make art for the joy of it. For the fun of it! Fuck the being a good artist or bad artist! Your mental health is more important!
>>
>>4120793
This is phenomenal, thank you.
>>
>>4118028
Unless you want to shoot dogma 95 films and need ibis can you give me one reason why the gh5 is better than the bmpcc 4k; I own both cameras but I use the bmpcc 4k more because the image looks nicer. If you need stabilization just use sticks. (A tripod is not an extra cost to a camera, you need a tripod.) unless you want to do dogma 95 run and gun shit or you don’t want to carry a set of sticks with you you don’t really need a gh5 and could save some money with the bmpcc 4k
>>
>>4120308
There is a ofx plugin called scatter that lets you add filters in post with DaVinci Resolve. It’s an expensive plug in but it will save you on the cost of filters and let you add the filter and strength that you want in post.
>>
>>4121241
When you say it looks nicer do you mean the colors? Because grading fixes that. Tripods are nice but if your entire picture is shot on them it'll feel stilted.
>>
>>4121250
> looks nicer
I mean it shoots raw files with a very high bit rate so you can push your footage and make it look how you want it to look. The older blackmagic cameras had a Fairchild sensor that made the footage look more cinematic.
>>
>>4121244
I’m pretty anal about doing absolutely as much as possible in camera/ practically. I’m also retarded when it comes to ‘puters

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareVer.1.03
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2022:11:02 19:25:12
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Image Width6016
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4121315
You basically need a very expensive gaming rig or a workstation or a portable supercomputer if you want to use resolve to its fullest potential so unless you already have a very expensive computer that costs around $10,000 or more, filters would probably be cheaper. Such powerful computers are only really needed if you want to become a professional colorist. I am a geek so I already own powerful computers. I you are a camera geek and already own filters it would be different for you.
>>
I am shooting a music video for a friend of mine on Sunday. I'll be using a 7D and I only have experience shooting still photographs. This will be fun.
>>
>>4121346
That's cool! Break a leg!
>>
>>4117802
How good would vintage b4 broadcast lenses pair an original bmpcc and the bmpcc 4k? What zoom range would I get from using b4 zoom lenses adapted to the bmpcc cameras?
>>
>>4121241
>why the gh5 is better than the bmpcc 4k
Your mistake is assuming that there's any actual logic behind the panafag.
In their heads: everything that panasonic cameras do = necessary and great
everything that other cameras do = pointless and not something a real cinematographer would use
So let's just ignore that the gh5 has atrocious dynamic range and is basically unusable above 1600 iso (800 iso really), for example
>>
>>4121446
I'm not a "panafag", I was wondering why you'd pick a BMPCC4K over a GH5. Side by side comparisons I've seen look roughly equal and the GH5's feature set is better. Notice I didn't say GH5S. The 4K just seems crippled to me. Now the 6K, that one is cool. The magic booster alone makes it compelling.
>>
>>4121446
Oh and bear in mind I'm talking about video on a budget. If you have the equipment and need to do things like timecode I'd wager the 4K is better, but there comes all the ancillary shit I was talking about.
>>
>>4121489
The bmpcc 4k and 6k record directly to an ssd drive (this saves in media costs and it allows you to edit the video directly off of the ssd drive.) the ability to record directly to an ssd drive is the feature that I love about the blackmagic camera
>>
File: de1.jpg (271 KB, 1579x1018)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>4121561
>>
>>4121609
Nice try pannyboy the gh6 is much more expensive than the bmpcc 4k
>>
>>4121489
What is a magic booster?
>>
>>4121637
drop-in focal reducer taking advantage of it being EF mount but mirrorless
>>
>>4121685
What that mean?
>>
File: shutter time.jpg (78 KB, 1168x613)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>4121446
>atrocious
it's still 10 usable stops of snr=2.. the f900 and hudson viper were doing like 8-9 stops at best, if u can't use that DR it's your fault.
the 4k clearly wins here but still, controlling your scene is what you get paid to do.

pic related btw, enjoy the shutter. it's even worse on the 6k. much worse.
personally I would only recommend the 4k/6k if the shooter KNEW they didn't want a lumix. otherwise lumix is the better suggestion. you can learn to shoot a lot on it and the camera is still useful for stills or run-and-gun after you upgrade to a real cinema camera.
as soon as you acquire a decent red/sony/etc its goodbye to the bmpcc forever, sell all your gear etc.

Photographernola
>>
>>4121833
Huh? I swear i have seen people use the 6k as a b cam for those other cam.
>>
>>4121842
you're right, and it's an awesome B/C cam that you can mix in with serious cinema cameras.
but it has the same use-case as those cameras you just upgraded to. so if you don't need another camera, it's gone. you can always keep the lumix for a lot of applications, even just filming or photographing a family holiday.
so if a film student asks me "bmpcc or gh5" im saying "gh5, but do your research and find out if you would prefer the bmpcc"
>>
File: file.png (3.08 MB, 2266x1468)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB PNG
this looks really next level boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHo6Z9r6fyo
what's the catch?? audiofags help
>>
>>4121833
>it's still 10 usable stops of snr=2..
Read the sticky. It's 9.7
That's terrible for anyone who isn't a panafag. The question isn't whether or not it's usable, a fucking toaster is usable if the dp is competent. The question is whether or not it's better than the bmp4k. PROTIP: It isn't
>>
>try and self-publish film on amazon prime
>jump through all their hoops and spend hours making sure my film conforms properly
>eventually passes every test
>after like a week, told that the film has been rejected
>apparently they can just reject films at their own discretion, meaning you can't resubmit that film to them anymore
>whelp
>get over it
>put film on filmhub
>spends ages being evaluated for qc
>finally approved
>amazon prime video orders my film from them
I sometimes feel like life is a cosmic joke that I'm not allowed to be in on
>>
>>4121633
It's also a lot better than bmpcc4k. Funny that you don't acknowledge that it's the same price as base bmpcc 6k. Cheaper once you add viewfinder, screens, and gimbal.
>>
>>4122188
I got a gh6 for the ibis and I got the blackmagic for the raw recording. I use the blackmagic more than the gh6 because my blackmagic is an older camera and I know how to use it. I don’t want to use the gh6 professionally until I practice with it and know how to use it.
>>
>>4122190
>>4122188
Why would you ever need ibis or a gimble? Cant you just hold the camera?

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G965U
Camera SoftwareG965USQU9FVB2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.5
Sensing MethodNot Defined
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2023:01:06 22:06:01
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/1.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/1.5
Brightness-2.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.30 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDI12QSKF06VM I12QSKL01VA
>>
>>4122252
Can’t you use a vacuum?
>>
>>4122252
>subtle motion blur in a static phone shot
apparently you can’t
>>
>>4122252
Holy shit whoever took this photo is incredibly incompetent.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (235 KB, 1280x720)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>What quality people expect from free photographs and videos.
>>
>>4120793
>>4119784
>>4119783
Noob question about filters. Can you thread other filters of the same thread size on top of each other? I’m curious about the ability to stack a polorizer/nd on top of the glimmer/promist.

Image Width4896
Image Height3672
>>
>>4122252
Longer exposures without blur, less noise.
>>
>>4122371
This.
>>
>>4122252
You can carry less camera gear.
>>
>>4122252
I film live bands. Sometimes it’s nice to just pick up a camera with ibis and run and gun it. Other times it’s nicer to put the camera on sticks and get a great image that can be pushed in post. I own both a bmpcc 4k and a gh6. I’ll probably get another bmpcc 4k because the bands I film like how the image on the bmpcc 4k looks. I always have good lighting and usually need to use NDs to cut the light so I don’t really need a Sony at this time. What’s wrong with owning many bodies? One body doesn’t fit all situations. I don’t always want to drag a set of sticks with me.
>>
>>4122376
It’s easier to sneak a shot in an area that doesn’t allow filming if you have a camera that looks like something a tourist would use. If you pull out a fully rigged camera with a matte box and a follow focus unit and a v-mount battery attached to it, people will start questioning what you are doing. If you are shooting a guerrilla-style film in an area where filming is not allowed, the last thing you want people to do is question you about what you are doing.

Pic related: you don’t want a camera that looks like this if you are filming in an area that doesn’t allow people to film stuff w/o a license.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone X
Camera Software13.3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Created2020:04:18 18:54:17
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness2.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length4.00 mm
Image Width3150
Image Height2256
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4121348
The shoot took 5 hours and I ended up getting a lot of footage to work with. I've been editing all last night and today. The experience so far has been so much fun and I'm thinking about getting some more video gear like ND filters or gimbals.
>>
What laptop to get to edit my videos?
I film on a gh5 in 4k. Is any laptop with 32gb ram fine or does gpu matter?
Some say it doesn't. Some say 8gb vram is a must for 4k. Others say specs don't matter because you can edit with proxies.
Wat do?
>>
>>4122396
since you dont want to think, just buy a macbook pro
>>
>>4122401
this desu
>>
>>4122396
Do you have any proxies? If not, then 8gb vram is a must for 4k. Gpu generation and speed, on other hand, isn't as important. It's purely a matter of having enough vram.
>>
>>4122392
All you need is a fish eye
>>
>>4122419
Couldn’t anon generate proxies in software? I know davinci has an option to do this that works very well
>>
>>4122494
dafak do you think proxie is? Talk is about using desktop gpu or streaming from pc.
>>
>>4117802
What is the ultimate best video camera at a $2000-$3000 budget? Very wide budget.
I have an 18-35mm Sigma (Canon mount) and would use that lens exclusively.
Necessities
>Controlling and previewing video on a computer
>External continuous power
Photography capabilities are not needed at all.
Arigatogozaimasu.

Options I've considered:
>Panasonic GH6 or GH5 II
>Sony A7 IV (or others?)
>Canon(?)
I currently have a Canon EOS 700D
>>
>>4122501
Arri alexa.
>>
>>4122521
Bait - but also, are you mental?
>>
>>4122501
Bmpcc 4k or Bmpcc 6k
Get a plug-in power adapter
Or a v-mount battery plate with a v-mount to wall plug adapter (it is made by some lighting company and it is awesome) it allows you to plug stuff in to house current and use a v-mount plate with d-tap adapters to power all of your shit with one cord.

https://www.filmandvideolighting.com/fv-lighting-v-mount-ac-adapter.html

This allows you to turn a v-mount plate into something that you can plug in to house current.

It is super awesome!
>>
>>4121633
All in all, the "pannyboy" did make better arguments without resorting to ad hominem at every possible occasion.
The image quality of the BMPCC4K is not as good as the GH5 or GH6 which are newer after all. Disregarding IBIS and all the other features, the video quality is nicer, and I doubt Blackmagic RAW comes close to the GH's Log profile.
>>
>>4122133
what movie ya got on prime?
>>
File: happy daisy.png (932 KB, 474x503)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
>>4122552
>The image quality of the BMPCC4K is not as good as the GH5 or GH6
The absolute state of panafags
>>
>>4122529
You can't preview or control that camera on PC
>>
>>4122501
>Canon EOS 700D
forget ultimate, you're low budget. buy a nicer canon, no need to worry about crop lens adapters, nearly all canikon can be computer tethered and externally powered, tons of software avaliable, no need to learn new system
>>
>>4122501
BS1H
>>
File: 1672865315990144.jpg (29 KB, 336x340)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
A friend and I made this movie last year. It's a strange love letter to 70's Tokusatsu. We got it into some festivals and now it's on the internet.

Let me know what you guys think. I posted this in /m/ too but I want more criticism from people who know their way around a camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8w6yv2hOuM
>>
>>4123097
I enjoyed this in a big and exciting way. Please continue to make things.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3200
Camera SoftwareVer.1.03
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)255 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2022:08:31 17:48:47
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length170.00 mm
Image Width6016
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4118052
>What are some interesting things to tape for a camping video?
You should a movie called Brokeback Mountain, many inspirations for your camp trip with "friend" ;)
>>
>>4123097
Awesome. Nyce. Somebody finally poste a real film here. Not just a bunch of random footage or montage. I will need to check this out with sound when I get home from work tonight and then I’ll give you some feedback. Visually it is awesomely awesome.
>>
>>4122856
Good call. I'll get the S5
>>
Just got a Z9 and a Ninja V+. Shot a short film with the Z9 shooting N-Raw, and the Z6 outputting to the Ninja V+ recording in ProRes 422 HQ. Shot for about 3.5 hours, generated 481GB of footage. May do a couple of pickups afterwards. Was considering taking some of the footage, running it back through an HDMI to analog signal converter and filming the output on a 8" Trinitron monitor I have, intercutting that for a "security monitor" / lofi grunge sort of aesthetic. The short is a surreal art film, set to screen in March at a pretty well known gallery. Pretty psyched, also nervous to make my art world debut lol. Wish me luck bros.
>>
>>4123251
Why would you film a monitor. Couldn’t you use a plug-in in resolve to get the security monitor vibe that you are going for. Do you get something from filming an actual monitor that a plug-in won’t give you?
>>
>>4123259
I haven't seen a plugin that doesn't look like a digital fake. There's a lot of complex stuff going on with a CRT that's hard to emulate. Also, this Sony has a bunch of dials that let you adjust sync, hue, saturation, etc. I think if I can do something in-camera, it's going to look better than doing it in post. We'll see how it goes, I may not end up using it, but I'm curious to experiment with it.
>>
>>4120887
>>4120975

https://youtu.be/ml6dqDc5a44
I think you should refrain on posting till you can learn to focus a camera.
>>
File: sexhaver.png (935 KB, 1010x547)
935 KB
935 KB PNG
>>4123122
>>4123133
Thank you both! I look forward to your feedback
>>
Hello /vid/,
It's time to stop complaining about your camera. Look at this list of movies shot on a phone.

https://letterboxd.com/jackofdiamons/list/shot-on-smartphone-cell-phone-ipad/

Good performances, blocking, shot composition, and careful lighting will do far more for your films than any camera.
>>
>>4123097
Set design obv looked cheap but I think that’s what you were going for. This was shot really well
>>
>>4123277
Look, I don't see anything wrong with phonefilms, quality is good enough, used well they can offer good enough results, spectacular even when all goes well, as in case of Tangerine, but they are still meme. They're shot so they get phone points with audience and founding by applel. Problem is that phones require sadomasochistic tendencies to record with. Forced to use auto focus, atrocious controls, shitpoor battery life, and nightmares guaranteed when it comes to transferring recorded material to pc.
>>
>>4123281
I meant Florida Project. Tangerine is that tranny trash.
>>
>>4123282
Florida Project was a mix of iphone and actual cameras. Tangerine was all iphone you were right the first time.
>>
>>4123097
This movie reminded me of the power rangers. The only thing that is missing is the gay sex that you know happened on the power rangers when the cameras stopped rolling.
>>
>>4123290
>Florida Project
It was entirely on actual 35mm film except for the closing scene (cuz they had to steal the location)
>>4123281
>They're shot so they get phone points with audience
They're usually used so you can steal locations very easily and put the phone in very small locations.. Soderbergh did an interview on shooting phone movies which makes a lot of legit points.
>Problem is that phones require sadomasochistic tendencies
This is facts. They are cancer to shoot with. I advocate for phone shooting a lot, especially for students but it is one of the most frustrating experiences in the world imo.
>>
>>4123281
>Look, I don't see anything wrong with phonefilms, quality is good enough, used well they can offer good enough results, spectacular even when all goes well, as in case of Tangerine, but they are still meme. They're shot so they get phone points with audience and founding by applel.
Agreed, plus they get all the budget normally used in a movie be it phone shot or not. That means they don't really need the low light capabilities. There's no shortage of light (and when it is, like on some scenes in Unsane, you see shadow artifacts).
>>4123426
Soderbergh uses all kinds of gear that essentially turn the phone into a box camera though (even lens adapters sometimes).
https://momofilmfest.com/soderberghs-unsane-behind-the-scenes-insights/
>>
I'm looking for a decent camera for filming and stills. How important is a 4k 60fps camera really for video?
>>
>>4123633
>How important is a 4k 60fps camera really for video?
I refuse to believe there are people willing to shell out over a grand on a camera, who can't even figure out which features they think they do or don't need
>>
>>4123633
Do you need to shoot 4k at 60fps for what you plan on doing?
>>
>>4123633
for documentary work its pretty important.
>>
>>4117802
One of my best projects so far, filmed on Sony Ultra DCM 809, used double exposure with defragmented SLR matrix settings in combination with an external set of semi-polariscent fragma filters.
https://youtu.be/FzPMjBtHbVs?t=51
>>
>>4123775
the entire project is a slow motion dream sequence with needle drops
>>
>>4123919
That image looks so good. So sharp and clean.
>>
>>4123633
s1h
>>
>>4123633
If you need a good video/stills hybrid get either the bmpcc4k or bmpcc 6k-6k g2.
This photo was taken on the 6kpro

Image Width250
Image Height192
>>
>>4123970
Thank you, I've tried to put the main accent on the dynamics though, capturing the athletes from most sharp angles to express the power of endless motion.(Riefenstahl's ''Olympia'' was a huge inspiration for me to be honest)
>>
>>4124049
You should know that someone with a bmpcc4k or bmpcc 6k or 6k G2 wouldn't take trashy photos of himself for personal experimental purposes like that. At that level you might as well show photos or videos that are from a mid-budget short film that has high value. BMPCC 6k is up there with the RED in a way.
>>
>>4124278
But the blackmail costs so much less than a red so posers and hipsters who don’t know shit about cinematography go out and buy a blackmagic so they can go around and say “look at me, I have a cinema camera” most other cinema cameras are priced so high that posers and hipsters cannot afford to buy the camera as a prop so they can look like a cinematographer.
>>
bmpcc og fag here. I want a nice, cheap Malick style wide lens for mft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNBR-c5Huk

this 5.7 kinoptik is exactly what i'm after but i don't have a billion dollars to spend.

https://www.keh.com/shop/7artisans-7-5mm-f-2-8-mark-ii-fisheye-manual-lens-for-mft-black.html

thoughts on this or is there something vintage that won't break the bank maybe that would give me similar results?
>>
>>4124049
kubrick larper, shave that fucking beard
>>
>>4124609
No >:(

Horizontal Resolution216 dpi
Vertical Resolution216 dpi
Image Width3775
Image Height2910
>>
>>4124571
Laowa makes some cheap ultrawides
>>
>>4124609
I'll shave it in due time.
>>
>>4124571
Meike makes an 8mm mft lens as part of their set of cine lenses for mft cameras that might work for you.
>>
per the sticky, and this link (https://www.learnaboutfilm.com/making-a-film/equipment-for-low-budget-filmmaking/best-camera-low-budget-filmmaking/),
are Panasonic Lumix the best cameras to start with?
looking to get into the hobby with a G85 (there are some used with kit lens here for $450, which is close to my budget).
>>
>>4124917
There's no "best" camera to start with. Just bear in mind that whatever you pick will probably determine your lens mount for several years to come.
Panasonic is as good as any other but has the weakest autofocus which is the main draw for using native lenses. Some people are insulted by the very idea of af though so you do you.
>>
File: 54m0Ka1.jpg (47 KB, 432x493)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>4124609
>kubrick larper
kek'd
>>
I actually am a fan of wide-angle scenes more than close-up scenes.
>>
File: batman.jpg (192 KB, 2707x1552)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>4124917
>are Panasonic Lumix the best cameras to start with?
there are huge arguments about this in every /vid/ thread.
so basically it depends.
>looking to get into the hobby with a G85 (there are some used with kit lens here for $450, which is close to my budget).
your budget is dogshit. use your phone and start looking into budget LIGHTING options instead of budget CAMERA options.
try to get a 300w and a 600w at least.
i love the g85, it was great value for a long time. now it's not so great. new iphones shoot a far superior codec and likely have a comparable dynamic range. (if not better?)

remember to save money for locations and feeding your crew (this is especially important if you aren't paying them lol)

also the sound setup is probably more expensive than you think it will be.
so skip the budget 2016 camera and just use your phone. plus those phone gimbals are cheap as fuck my boi.

Photographernola
>>
>>4124920
i've never seen anyone shooting video use native IRL, it's always dudes with the sigma and speedbooster. they do seem to get good battery life though.
t. started in audio
>>
>>4117802
I saw this Iphone ad about action mode, what is the keyword I should be looking on an actual camera (by that I mean not in a phone) that achieve enough handheld stability to film like small corpo-real estate and wedding videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPqGf8nc4g
>>
>>4124949
There isn't one. Gopros are fairly decent at that now as far as I'm aware. And ibis helps and is the closest you'll find when looking for a keyword search term.
Phones are able to have much better stabilisation because their sensors are so tiny and the lenses are fixed. You flat out can't get results like that video in a proper camera. (Unless you want to buy a dji 4d)

If you have stable hands and don't move it around too much, then decent ibis will probably suffice. A lens with IS will compound that and help too. Otherwise you need a gimbal/flycam/shoulder-mount
>>
What type of videos are you folks making? Just filming yourself talking and uploading to youtube?
>>
>>4124920
>Panasonic is as good as any other but has the weakest autofocus
Thats not true anymore. Their S5ii seems to be just as good as Sonys and Canons.

Thinking of selling all of my gear and going fully into Panasonic. The L mount is great as well.
>>
>>4124956
I try to make videos for the family anon. I may have when I was 14 wanted to make an ultra violent 80 million dollar budget movie, but as I got older I started realizing I could just photograph the simple things.
>>
>>4124957
I dunno, the review of the s5ii I watched said that it was finally not dogshit af but still noticeably weaker than canon's dpaf. It didn't mention sony but I think the consensus is that their af is about the same as canon.
Maybe down the line panasonic will be more competitive if it's anything to go by but at the moment it's just one camera and still worse than the competitors.
>>
>>4124962
>>4124957

AF? You mean the least important aspect of vid camera? How many cine lenses are AF, again?
>>
>>4124995
Shit b8
>How many cine lenses are AF, again?
You mean all those lenses built pre 2000 when digital sensors weren't even usable yet?
>>
>>4124958
Sammy the sock is peak cinema the creative decision to have him be out if frame and out of focus in most shots is brilliant!
>>
>>4124995
most prosumers aren't out there shooting narrative or interviews, this is the talking heads on twitch/youtube/tiktok era doing vlogs and such.
>>
>>4125005
I'm glad you enjoyed it. A lot of work went into it. Just remember that it is for kids.
>>
People avoiding the T2i has brought it completely down in price making it more affordable to the average individual needing cinematic footage for dirt cheap. All I got to say is hate it some more we need it!
>>
What would be a better all around zoom lens? The fujinon b4 hd zoom lens that goes from 8mm-136mm with a doubler or the fujinon mft zoom lens set. I want to pick up a parfocal zoom for my bmpcc and bmpcc 4k cameras.
I might eventually get both lenses but I just wanted to know the pros and cons of each lens before I invested in a good quality zoom lens.
>>
Would the Panasonic af100/101 be considered a camcorder or a mirrorless camera? It has the form factor of a camcorder but the features of a mirrorless camera (interchange lens mount and the ability to record in ProRes) so I am just wondering if it would be considered a camcorder or is it a mirrorless camera or is it classified as something else?
>>
>>4125369
camcorder. cameras must have photo features to be considered mirrorless
>>
>>4125374
So, in that case the bmpcc would also be a camcorder.
>>
>>4124894
>>4124903
perfect, found both of their respective 7.5mm lenses thanks guys. gonna do a bit more research and decide if the laowa f2-22 is worth a $150+ price jump from the f2.8-18 on the meike.
>>
>>4125028
Nothing you have shot with that camera is “cinematic”.
>>4125375
The bmpcc have stills capabilities
>>
>>4125723
Idgaf
>>
>>4125543
If you can afford to get it, get the Cine lens made by mieke is has t stops and it has gears and it’s cool and it is a real Cine lens for under $500
>>
>>4125727
>idgaf

Image Width1920
Image Height1480
>>
whats a good small camera with manual controls that records high bitrate 1080p60
>>
>leave third party battery in camera for a while
>it gets puffy
shit gave me a fright goddamn, got it out though
>>
>>4126038
Ari alexa.
>>
>>4127101
> battery got puffy
Did you need to pry the battery out with a butter knife?
>>
>>4126038
how high of a bit rate? A6000 maybe, for ~50 mbit?
>>4127116
I was able to get it to about 1mm protrusion with my fingernails, then used a pen to leverage until it was finger grabbable. This was in a G85.
>>
POORFAGS BTFO
>>
File: 1674277995212.png (134 KB, 694x838)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
why are you gonna use this stupid shit instead of a lens hood? christ film students are retarded
>>
>pays 250k for film school or something
>works in a coffee shop and acts like an arrogant prick
understandable i guess
>>
>>4127443
That stuff is retarded, but mate box is always better than lens hood. Not to mention that wide angle hood's are designed for naked lens, as soon as you start adding filters, they are compromised.
>>
>>4127344
I'm starting to wonder if all the "poorfag" person is just one loser.
>>
>>4127899
*posting
>>
I upgraded to a Ryzen 5600X and 16 gb of ram from a i5 4590 with 8 gb and 100mbps 4k editing still feels slow, like nothing changed. Do I need an nvme drive or something?
>>
>>4128622
well what's the container anon, h264? longgop? this is the most important part
>>
>>4128622
That cpu difference is not huge leap in performance. But if you aren't seeing anything, you may have a bottleneck somewhere. gpu, storage, thouhg ssd to nvme shouldn't be a big issue.
>>
>>4128713
h264 mp4
>>4128729
are you serious every benchmark/review I find shows it as a 100% improvement, about twice as fast for single core, and it has 2 more cores and 3x as many threads
gpu is a 6500XT
>>
>>4128809
actually nevermind, it's pretty smooth in resolve. In shotcut it's a bit stuttery but preview scaling to 720p fixes it. I found out shotcuts page recommends an 8 core for 4k. On my i5 6500 16 gb resolve just crashes and I cant get shotcut to not be stuttery.
>>
>>4128819
use resolve's feature to generate lighter weight files for the edit
>>
What movie has the best cinematography in your opinion? And why (lighting, composition, movement, etc)?
>>
>>4128995
The Neon Demon. Perfect aesthetic that means that literally every single frame looks superb. The composition is good but nothing that special compared to something like TGTBATU or Stalker. It's carried entirely by the lighting and colour grading (and the makeup and art design).
I know that answering anything post-2000 will piss off all the hipster pseuds (who will ignorantly claim that I need to watch more films because that's the only way they can fathom someone disagreeing with them) but it is what it is.
>>
>>4128996
Neon demon was really bad. You need to watch more moview.
>>
>>4129037
>Movie bad
Nice critique lmao. Go watch Avatar 2 again
>>
>>4129037
>namefag
>thinking his opinions aren't completely worthless
Don't you have a cock you should be sucking?
>>
>>4128995
thats a pretty big question anon.
I really like casino for the camera movement. for lighting/colour I think la la land is great. its a very clean look.
>>
>>4128995
I love the Chinese movie “Hero” directed by Yi-Mou Zhang; all of his movies look like paintings that came to life. His movies are so awesome and they made me want to learn color grading so I could recreate his look. His movies are super saturated but look really good. Each frame of that film looks like a painting.
>>
>>4129065
I've never heard of that, so will be checking it out. Thanks.

>>4129060
When I analyze a movie, I'm probably thinking staging, art direction, and composition. I need to analyze motion a bit better. Or maybe I can find a good DP who will do that for me.
>>
>>4129065
DoP the great Chris Doyle
>>
File: DjC6TaiXgAI3MCO.jpg (79 KB, 1200x675)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>4128995
Barry Lyndon
>>
>>4128995
anything Georgi Rerberg worked on
he had an understanding of light and movement rhythm like nobody else (except maybe Tarkovsky)
>>
>>4129091
his interviews are literally amazing. he never talks in technical terms really. it's all about the feels. real kino poet.
>>
should you record externally into a recorder or internally to the camera? i've heard that the ursa g1's audio recording isn't any good so it's best to run your mic through an external recorder. i'd rather record in camera to cheap out on renting a timecode system and an external recorder but if the difference is real big i guess i'd rather do that. mic is a sennheiser mkh-416
>>
File: EfZwYLBXkAAJAKp.jpg (44 KB, 680x408)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>4129070
>When I analyze a movie, I'm probably thinking staging, art direction, and composition. I need to analyze motion a bit better. Or maybe I can find a good DP who will do that for me.
study the cinematographer henri alekan. watch both beauty and the beast from 1946 and wings of desire. the library tracking shot in wings of desire is great cinematography that catches the invisible demi-omnipotence of the angels
>>
>>4129484
Because he knows plebs don't want technicals, he does know them as the chink academy of cinematographers are pretty anal about them and he is an old member.
>>4129065
Hero is great despite the propaganda ending and not that much movement to be fair. Check Doyle's own movie, Away with Words i think it is called, if you want to see a piece fully for its colours and composition.
>>
File: 57423489214652.png (1.59 MB, 1419x968)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>4129491
"He can’t talk for 16 seconds without going into a rant. He once told me this crazy story about living in Hong Kong, next to the world’s longest escalator. He’d strip naked in front of his window for everyone to see. But the thing was almost a mile long—the escalator—so by the time people got to the end of it they couldn’t remember what building he was in.”
>>
>>4129484
the tempo of filming in the HK scene in his era was like 5 times that of the west. when you do something that much for that long technical stuff is ingrained and happens without thought. it would be like asking someone in an orchestra what scales they practice.
>>
>>4128996
natasha braier has a sort of look that i find interesting, you should look at some of the sequences in honey boy where it isn't slanted as much by refn's obsession with hard contrast
>>
>>4129537
I wasn't complaining about it – merely supporting his choice to talk about cinematography in non-technical terms. but 9 out of 10 interviews with him is with westerns, who always ask questions like that and he responds in a not completely thought out and whimsical sense that ends up being poetic in the end. i love him for it
>>
>>4129541
>honey boy
I really liked that film and I thought it dealt with child abuse in a really brilliant way. But I wouldn't single it out as one of the best-looking films ever shot.
>refn's obsession with hard contrast
This is one of the primary reasons it looks so good though. And to each their own if you don't like it, but it's kind of like saying that watermelon is nicer than chocolate because it doesn't have that cocoa flavour going on.
>>
>>4117802
I want to shoot a video of my car at night in some twisties. I've never really made any serious videos, and I've never really gotten into photography before.

My questions are:
>How can I minimize the use of a chase car? It's sort of a tall order to find someone to go help you shoot a video for several hours in the middle of the night.
>What are the best camera mounts for a car? Which angles should I try to capture? I don't want my camera to fall off...
>How do I actually effectively capture a black car on an unlit road at night? Lit backroads are rare where I live.
>Where should I place mics for ideal sound capture?
>Where can I learn the basics of composition and such? I have an idea of how I want the video to start, but after that I'm a bit lost.
>Which song should I use? I was thinking this might work, but I'm not sure if I should try to find an instrumental version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2-_eGs8oI&ab_channel=schuldinic
>>
File: 1674732281012.jpg (97 KB, 798x450)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>$77,000 USD dollars
why
>>
>>4129773
Basically to do everything you want and especially with so few volunteered extra hands is all going to come down to lots of money and planning if you want professional grade results. While tbf most of it could be done at a satisfactory level with a gopro and various mounting solutions, the issue as you stressed is how dark it will be, which will pose a problem for almost any camera no matter what, in terms of trying to produce beautiful and quality-looking footage in the way you likely envision it. You'll need several powerful lights and stands and so on for every shot, plus a lot of knowledge about how to expose for the scenes even then. Available light sources (existing or ones you can set up) always trump pretty much every other technical quality when it comes to absolute visual fidelity. Recall that photography (and videography) are ultimately all about capturing light.
>>
>>4129773
you could do day for night shooting and probably use a drone that follows you
>>
>>4128996
Kino answer even though I didn't think Stalker had such great composition (unlike The Mirror, if Stalker is sculpting in time The Mirror is painting with light). I really enjoyed the edgy fashion photography style of The Neon Demon. Was anyone else reminded of uncle Terry when the bald photographer shows up?
>>
>>4129057
looks like Zach is being impersonated to me
>>
>>4129944
>I didn't think Stalker had such great composition
kek
>>
>>4129940
>day for night
>on a low budget shoot
>with an inexperienced photographer
>on the open road in the middle of nowhere
lol that will look like complete shit, you can't do day for night unless you can avoid shooting the sky or else are good enough at vfx/grading to counteract it in post
>>
>>4129946
what was so great about the composition?
The film is carried by the choice of locations and the dialogue. It's not like Solaris, The Mirror or The Sacrifice where the visuals are central.
Stalker has some really clever imagery like the dove or the crown, and some incredible locations like the duct but composition isn't particularly extraordinary in it.
>>
>>4129940
>>4129944
>>4129945
magnum opus when
>>
>>4129948
black and white, red filter :^)
memes aside if you do it near dusk driving away from the sun it should be doable. Day for night is done precisely because lighting costs money, high budget shoots don't bother with it.
>>
>>4129956
after I'm done aping Gursky in motion for clout :^) >>4127354
>>
>>4129961
can't wait to see you post anything except 3 frames of b+w and a fucking gif
>>
>>4129962
there's also that transmission tower :^)
>>
File: 1649884358677.jpg (27 KB, 626x418)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Is going to a film school the only way to become a director?
>>
>>4129990
I mean if you have to ask...

(no, but it's not easy at all. Film is also quite interesting because the medium is constantly evolving as are the parameters around it. What worked 50 years ago might not have worked 30 years ago, nevermind today and vice versa. It's impossible to say what the industry will look like 5 years from now or who they'll be looking to to throw money at. The best anyone can do is just make shit and make connections and hope for the best)
>>
>>4129998
film sometimes disgust due to its vulgar impersonal character and money motive.
>>
>>4130005
Esl moment?
>>
>>4130008
yeah plus headache and hunger

Are you a director?
>>
>>4130010
>Are you a director?
Yes?
>>
Refn's top 10 movies of all time:
>The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974)
>It’s A Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)
>Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
>The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
>Night Tide (Curtis Harrington, 1961)
>Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
>A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
>The Leopard (Luchino Visconti, 1963)
>Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
>Fat City (John Huston, 1972)
Based list? Or cringe? Kino or bino?
>>
>>4130018
any advise?
>>
>>4130037
you tell me
>>
File: E5wW-a2X0AMqw1O.jpg (185 KB, 900x1200)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>4130037
saw the list before but I definitely wouldn't peg refn for a guy that'd put the leopard on his top 10.
also night tide is a fantastic movie, but this is like the third self plug for it since he restored it lmao. he put it in the second episode of TOTDY, on MUBI and now this.
OUATIW, battle of algiers, fat city, leopard and night tide are based though
>>
>>4130042
Don't stop. Once you stop making stuff, it's very difficult to get back into that groove.
And don't be discouraged. Your first film will be shit. Your first good film won't make any money. Hacks will advance in their careers faster than you. Shit films with awful everything will win awards at festivals that couldn't even be bothered to tell you that they rejected your film.
Making films is the end in and of itself. You can't be making films as a stop-gap. You can't go in with the idea that you'll make something crappy and low budget and that your brilliance will shine through so they'll give you millions to make something good afterwards. Assume you'll never get your big break and if that makes you want to stop pursuing this line of work then it probably isn't for you.
(And also, ignore the old saying that you should never spend your own money. You should absolutely spend your own money; it's the only way to maintain true artistic control and independence)
>>
>>4130062
Thank you anon.

Can you also give some guidance on screenwriting too?
>>
>>4130066
Sure...
Write what comes simple. Don't try and write stuff you don't care about. And don't read those retarded screenwriting books which teach you how to write a generic script identical to every shit blockbuster that gets made.
If you need advice on structuring your film, the best way is to just watch hundreds of films and take note of which films do it well. There are some very blatant formulae going on (things like the call to adventure, the all-is-lost moment, the triumphant return etc).
Don't write about things you know nothing about.
My personal workflow is to start with scenes and themes and then draft an outline that connects them together and then slowly start filling in the details and the characters. By keeping the story simple, it gives you breathing room to make the characters more complex which in turn makes the story more nuanced.

To expand on that: let's say you have a simple story that advances a -> b -> c -> d
Then you've got your protagonist, Anon, who needs a reason to initiate b and then end up in c, to finish with d. So you decide that b happens because he has a drinking problem and then c comes about because he lost his wife years ago in a drunk driving accident. Ok, now that changes stuff you wrote in a. Which affects stuff in b and c. But the bones remain the same.
Now your ending, d, can become d' instead. The same general events, but it can tie in with the themes of guilt and loss etc.
Then you have your supporting character, Anonette. She exists because you need someone to provide exposition in a, and provide accountability in c. So let's say she's his dead wife's best friend. What comes with that? Maybe she secretly was in love with anon, or maybe she's always disliked him for taking his wife's time from her. Does she know that Anon was drunk when he had the accident? If she didn't know, would this be a good revelation to have at the start of c? What about the audience? Maybe we don't tell them either until she finds out.
>>
>>4130070
Thanks a ton fren.

What do you think about "Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee"?
>>
>>4130071
What did you guys do to zach? He was one of our best photographers/cinematographers!
https://youtu.be/DmLkNWPLCQU
>>
>>4129486
DO TESTS
>>
>>4130316
We didn’t do anything to Zack; autism is a terrible disease.
>>
>>4130316
Maybe Zack made a typo and typed in /pol/ instead of /p/ and Zack didn’t like what he saw.
>>
>make a film, trailer gets like 300 views over 18 months
>trailer today is suddenly saying it got 160 views this period on youtube creator studip
>assume it's a glitch
>check it out, it's not a glitch
>all of them from today
>panic.jpg
(I haven't shared that link with anyone in months and I uploaded the trailer over a year ago)
H-have I made it?
>>
>>4130324
the post that filtered /vid/
>>
File: chadresdefault4.jpg (223 KB, 1280x720)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>4129913
>>4129940
>>4129948
Thanks for the advice. I may end up just doing it in more populated areas instead of the middle of nowhere. Would certainly be better on the lighting, though it's not like most of our roads are super well lit, or even lit at all. I think I'd have to go out on like a tuesday at 3am to avoid traffic and cops.

Does anyone have any good inspirations for car videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7z_lgzAACg
>>
File: Pacifiction (2022).webm (1.31 MB, 1920x804)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB WEBM
/film/ has been jerking off to Pacifiction (2022) since it got released. Anyone of you has seen this? Is it kino?
>>
>>4130763
Not that fag, there is a French film called "C'était un rendez-vous (English: It Was a Date) 1976"
It is kino

>https://youtu.be/WJYOMFayruw
>>
>>4130826
>/film/
The worst type of hipster pseuds. Literally a bunch of discord trannies and natsocs trying to one up each other in talking about the most obscure film they can find while trying to be as contrarian as possible.
I wouldn't listen to their recommendations on anything
>>
>>4130660
Added a picture because the situation hasn't slowed down. Any theories?
>>
>>4130324
honestly, i'd rather stay blissfully oblivious and go with an external recorder straight up. if it means having to rent the camera (going with the g1 because it's the cheapest kit that's still good), timecode like a deity or tentacle box and a recorder even, that'd be a few hundred euros down the drain already before shooting, and if it turns out that the g1 is fully acceptable, i'd kms on the spot since I could've probably got an extra day worth of shooting with that money or used it for master rights for a song
>>
>>4130763
>Does anyone have any good inspirations for car videos?
Yeah, the entire Highway series from Critical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPIml1rjgS0
>>4130827
Classic kino
>>
>>4130932
If you're not doing multicam stuff you can get away with a simple recorder and just clapping with the camera and recorder near so set a sync point.
>>
>>4130941
Just buy a cheap clapper board and use that to sync the camera and the external recorder without needing to worry about time code. That works for mulicam setups if all cameras can see the clap board.
>>
File: DI2DCpUWsAAjars.jpg (70 KB, 680x649)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4130945
You can get away with using your hands and the camera's mic to sync, just align the two peaks.
>>
>>4130827
God damn, that's insane. No way you could do something like this today. I do like the idea of a single take on a well-practiced route. I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as kino driving through the middle of nowhere vs through a city.

>>4130938
love this one, especially after the 8 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeTpFIN4YfM

Maybe I can find some side roads in my city to film on, but most everything is straight and flat here (Columbus) which sort of sucks.
>>
>>4130946
But the clap board looks so professional and it allows you to justify the fees that you charge your clients.
>>
>>4130957
>God damn, that's insane. No way you could do something like this today. I do like the idea of a single take on a well-practiced route. I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as kino driving through the middle of nowhere vs through a city.
It's mostly art though, that is to say... fiction.
It's sped-up and the engine sounds come from a Ferrari. Doesn't make it any less amazing but it does make it a lot more doable.
>>4130975
It seemed like he wasn't doing it for a client though, if he is then yes, get a clapper.
>>
>>4130976
>le film que vous allez voir a été réalisé san aucun trugace ni accéléré
I wasn't sped up as far as I'm aware. I think the low angle of the bumper mounted camera + the dubbed over ferrari makes it feel faster than it is. I can understand not wanting to mount a camera on your ferarri though.
>>
>>4130979
He added that disclaimer but it was sped up.
The bus blinkers at 3:52 are one of the giveaways. It's not uniformly but selectively sped up instead if I recall correctly.
>>
>>4130983
wow, what a liar
can't trust frogs I guess
>>
>>4130979
The blinkers are one of the giveaways. Also if I recall he had someone with a walkie talkie who was supposed to warn him if one of the intersections was busy but it didn't work.
>>
>>4130979
the suspension on the merc offers better stability than the ferrari lelouch had
also this is 70s paris in august. literally dead then. paris in august is already dead nowadays, it's mostly tourists and students, especially after the 15th.
>>4130976
correcto, it's my own project. otherwise I would've charged them out the wazoo.
my friend who does commercials unironically convinced a client (some fucking vacuum company or some shit) into renting an alexa mini LF and a cooke varotal zoom.
he just wanted to test the mini out because he had never shot on it and convinced them that it's better and they cut the check lmao.
also I do have a clapper already, so I'll just be using that I guess
>>
>>4130988
Jeez I double posted because my previous reply didn't appear lmao
>>4130987
I mean, it's well worth it for the product alone.
There's no shortage of madmen behind the wheel online though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereHzN4ZPg
>>
>>4130992
>the suspension on the merc offers better stability than the ferrari lelouch had
>also this is 70s paris in august. literally dead then. paris in august is already dead nowadays, it's mostly tourists and students, especially after the 15th.
Good insights although I knew about the Merc suspension already.
>my friend who does commercials unironically convinced a client (some fucking vacuum company or some shit) into renting an alexa mini LF and a cooke varotal zoom.
>he just wanted to test the mini out because he had never shot on it and convinced them that it's better and they cut the check lmao.
Based
>also I do have a clapper already, so I'll just be using that I guess
If you have it then it's best
>>
>>4130999
trips checked

yeah I was replying to the other anon about the benz
some moar kino, RIP giorgi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcL1H8t6qTo&t
>>
>>4131002
Damn, E34 is one of my favorite cars ever, thank you for this kino anon
>>
I need to light a big machine (robotic arm) on a budget, I wanted some dramatic overhead light, I guess I could rent a support but what kind of light should I get? LED panels?
>>
sure. but you COULD do a fuckhueg fresnel if yuou want the metal to look harsher tho.
>>
>>4131885
>>4131946
>>
I don't think I've ever heard as much bullshit as on this video, fuck Sony. It's part of a $29 video series, I can't believe they thought this video was a good hook to sell the entire package. Imagine how bad the rest must be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253qEaEZcVM
>>
can you fake a racing scene by shooting the cars driving more or less normal (maybe just "legal aggressive") at like 19 fps or so and then speeding up to 24 + adding sound effects?
>>
>>4133019
You can fake a racing scene by having cars drive normal and filming them normally but just adding revving sfx to the footage. This is what 90% of hollywood car chases are by the way
>>
>>4133066
Correct
>>4133019
You could, also you can break the 180 degree rule to add more blur.
>>
>>4133019
I wouldn't do that unless you do test-shoots first and make sure you're ok with the look. It could look very unnatural.

Definitely shoot wide angle for scenes with the cars travelling upstage/downstage since it will make them appear faster (recall that wide angle stretches out perceived distance, so they'll seem to cover more distance faster)

And for flyby scenes (i.e. stage right to left) shoot it on telephoto so you have a tight composition at a significant distance. Don't do anything special with it, just shoot between two poles of an underpass or something and the cars will flicker by in a couple frames max. Now this is the kind of shot you could easily speed up in post if you wanted to.
>>
>>4133019
btw don't forget to shoot plenty of closeups on the bumper & gearshift etc. add some serious camera shake in post and you're cookin.
this one's actually a fast car of course but check out how they cut/edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUodFjt01CY
>>
>>4130931
you originally had low visibility as a new channel in a saturated market, so pretty hard for your videos to stand out.

what video did you upload on the 27th? that's obviously the underlying factor here. maybe this video helped your trust rating or whatever the fuck google calls it nowadays where the more videos you have = the more you're not a spambot, so you show up in in various places.

for this trailer in question, go under its analytics and on the right side of the page you'll see a breakdown of where the traffic source is coming from. it's a little easier to do on mobile, but it's essentially the same route. probably just started coming up on the sidebar all of a sudden for others.
>>
>>4133409
This is helpful, thanks!
I checked the metrics and over 50% of the views come from youtube search apparently which is super weird. I was wondering if a twitch streamer found it or something and caused their audience to look it up (which would also explain the explosive growth and sharp decline now), but the youtube algorithm deciding that I'm not a spammer makes a lot of sense.
The new video has gotten like 20 views in comparison (it's a showreel).
>>
>>4133495
Take my words with a grain of salt, I'm still slightly new to the world of youtube myself. I shoot my friends' punk bands and throw them on youtube. When I first started (~4-5 days) I could search the specific name of the video and it would still take awhile to show up. YouTube pretty much explains that low active and new accounts go through this process, but again I have no real idea. Purely speculation.

If the search is high then yeah some person must have mentioned it somewhere, which is always both weird and cool. I would assume the 'browse features' % might go up a bit which is basically just home page, recommended, etc.

Probably not sustained growth by any means, but views obviously never hurt. glglgl with your future projects anon
>>
Is their any advantages besides a lower price tag that am older canon camera with magic lantern would have over blackmagics line of pocket cinema cameras or are the pocket cinemas cameras better than a canon camera hacked with magic lantern? I just wanted to know if it was worth it to get a canon with magic lantern as a crash cam or should I just stick with my blackmagic cameras.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.