[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Let’s say I’ve got an iso 8 film in my camera but it’s night time . Can I just change the iso Setting? How much can you change the iso on ,say 100 iso . Are some films more flexible than others with their iso

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6s
Camera Software15.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)49 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2022:08:05 20:39:26
Exposure Time1/24 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness0.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2048
Image Height1536
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Digital Zoom Ratio1.7
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Fucking imbecile
>>
>>4100008
Slide film - you can try to push it a stop. Maybe two, and that's only ISO 32. And it'll look pretty bad.
Negative film - you could try to push it like 3 stops, maybe. ISO 64.

You won't be able to push this to a speed fast enough to hand hold, so you may as well put it on a tripod and not push the film at all.
>>
>>4100009
I’m going to take some night pictures at iso 8 . How does this make you feel ?
>>
>>4100008
No, you can’t just adjust the iso setting.

You can, however, underexpose or overexpose above what the meter says and then push or pull development later. The result is similar to digital. You get more grain and less detail in shadows. Print film actually benefits from overexposure somewhat, and I usually shoot at about 2/3 stop or one full stop above box speed.
>>
>>4100024
I dont know about that other guy but I get mad as fuck when people waste resources.

get raped
>>
>>4100026
>you can't just adjust the iso setting

>you wouldnt download a car

he CAN just adjust the iso setting. In fact if he's going to push/pull Its literally how you push or pull film correctly and still be able to meter the shot with your camera

the mitigating factor is is the stock of film being used and how much latitude that particular film has. As the other anon hinted at, something like Provia 100 is going to have a lot less latitude than Ilford delta 400 or cinestill 800.

The big issue is finding labs that can push/pull the film.

That said, OP should just get a tripod and do a long exposure and stop being retarded
>>
>>4100088
No? That’s not adjusting the iso setting, that’s pushing and pulling.
>>
>>4100017
>>4100026
>>4100088
>>4100102
you all seem to have missed that OP wants to mix box speed and "pushed" shots on the same roll.

>>4100008
Yes, you could set your meter to say 32 and push afterwards. But your iso 8 shots will be very dense and will have funky contrast and probably blown highlights.
Practically, you absolutely should not attempt to shoot your film at anything above 8. Film that slow is almost always also super high contrast and doesn't tolerate underexposure of any kind. Expect pushing to result in "soot and snow" pictures where there's either no exposure, or fully blown out exposure with almost nothing in between.
>>
Using box speed is the recommended way for predictable results.
>>
As a tourist with a6400, should i get sigma 18-50 2.8 or 56 1.4?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2.48 MB, 1365x2048)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
How do I into proper printing?

What're the basics I should know for it? Lots of info online for the gear and techniques needed to take the photos but not much for the equipment that you can actually put them to paper with.

Just want to create nice photo albums and be able to create stuff I wouldn't be ashamed of framing.

Camera SoftwareNegative Lab Pro v2.3.0
Image Created2022:11:15 21:41:10
>>
I wanted to clean my brand new B+W filter because I have autism.
I wet a new microfiber cloth with distilled water, wiped the filter, and wiped it again with a clean dry microfiber cloth. Filter looks clean but if I shine my phone light through the filter I can see streaks and smears.
I went ahead and bought B+W lens cleaner spray and pec pads. Do I do the same thing? Spray pec pad, wipe filter, wipe again with dry pec pad?
>>
>>4100207
wipe your ass with the pec pad first, then clean the filter.
>>
>>4100208
Can you please give me a serious answer. I know dust on the front element or filter won't affect image quality but my autism prevents me from being OK with that.
I've tried Zeiss wipes and they always leave streaks or lint
I really don't know what to fucking do at this point
>>
>>4100209
wet wipe first, then dry wipe with a clean one
I use qtips and isopropyl, myself. If you let it dry by itself it'll develop streaks
good luck anon
>>
File: 1638010977433.png (1.68 MB, 1920x855)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
cant decide which i should get. any recommendation or tip or comment?
>>
>>4100198
unless you plan to spend your holiday taking portraits of people and distant landscapes only then the zoom, no question.
>>
>>4100247
Let's be real, that camera is going to be left in the hotel room and their iPhone will handle normal camera duties.
>>
>>4100198
i have the a6600 and both lenses
do you have any specific questions
>>
>>4100240
Having bought a mirrorless for 155 euro+75 euro, I would say neither they probably are broken and riddled with so many hidden issue that they might as well be recycled at this price.
Probably much worse experience than just using your phone.

I would expect that both of these will overheat on summer and constantly reset the position of the lens and focus.
>>
>>4100410
fuck man
i have this issue with all film cams i used before but im tired of wasting so much money so im looking at this cheaper price range
>>
>>4100411
Do your lens have a slight seating problem?
Try to see which way to screw in the lens, and hold the camera by the lens+corpus in a way that prevents movement of the lens.
Obviously the camera has a mechanism that seats the lens in place, but it seemed to reduce the annoyance for me.

Never have I had this issue with a camera we bought brand new.
>>
>>4100413
sorry
what i meant with "this issue" is that i buy a used analog camera and it only brings issues and is full of some kind of bullshit/ somehow broken or whatever
>>
>>4100204
What are you trying to do, print at home? Just get a photo printer but don’t expect good quality. You’re better off outsourcing your prints because paper and ink still costs $$$.

Just remember to set your dpi to 300 when exporting and obviously export the highest resolution possible. Experiment with different papers for the print look you want to achieve. I like to use Whitewall for printing because they carry premium fujifilm papers as well as do glicee and the price and customer service is good. At lot of printers out there dont say exactly what paper they use they’ll just “metallic” or “premium” or their own marketing name for a brand name paper.

Ive also made canvas prints from Printique that came out high quality.

You can also order prints with watermarks for a significant discount if you just want to save money and test papers.

Don’t invest in a home printer until you have lots of experience ordering prints and finding out what you like.
>>
>>4100247
True, i guess i just wanted to be hip and get a prime.
>>4100249
It's actually gonna be Samsung :^)
>>
>>4100416
>buy a used analog camera
>>4100416
>broken
i mean, the dots are there, just connect them
>>
File: 1643102122932.jpg (1.97 MB, 2000x1312)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>4100495
i bought my normal cam used and its great. new anolog cams are way too expensive

Image Width2000
Image Height1312
>>
If I use an iso 100 film and slap a k2 filter in front of my lens couldn't i decrease my cameras iso setting to 50 instead of stopping down? I don't want to change the depth of field of the photo.

Yes I photographed my photo because my scanner is broken ATM.
>>
>>4100635
My dumbass meant increase iso to 200
>>
>>4100635
>couldn't i decrease my cameras iso setting to 50 instead of stopping down
If your meter is inside the camera then you don't do either - most meters correctly compensate for a yellow filter.
If you set your meter to 50 and take a reading without the filter then whatever it says will be correct with the filter for 100 film. You can of course adjust shutter and aperture to anything that keeps the exposure the same.
>>
>>4100636
in that case no, setting the speed to 200 would underexpose by 1 stop, same as setting it to 200 without a filter.
setting it to 200 and taking a reading without the filter would underexpose by 2 stops which is pretty much fatal for shadow detail.
>>
>>4100638
I'm shooting on a Nikon FM, I doubt that the built in meter can correct a yellow filter, since it's so old there's no digital technology at all in the camera.

Your advice is to just not compensate the filter? I've been compensating the filter by stopping down one stop so far.
I just hoped there was a way I didn't have to compensate with the aperture/shutter speed settings
>>
>>4100639
>>4100639

My train of thought is this:
You're right I intend to half the cameras iso setting compared to my films iso to make the camera interpret the light intensity twice as high as it should be (I'm overexposing by one stop) which then should be corrected through the filter which only lets half of the intensity of the light pass into my camera
Where's my mistake in that reasoning?
>>
I’m getting rid of my iPhone 14 pro for a Samsung phone which has a worse camera , I love my iPhones camera as I primarily use it for concerts for videos and pictures, I don’t want to use the Samsungs camera for this, does anyone know a good camera I could get instead? Most concerts don’t allow cameras so it would need to be small or discrete as well
>>
File: im-666972.jpg (215 KB, 1260x879)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
This photo had to be taken with a flash, right?
>>
>>4100662
no, steel reflector
>>
>>4100008
How does native iso work on my panasonic s5? For photography does iso100 performance worse than 640 for example?
>>
Got a 100 dollar Amazon gift card burning a home in my pocket. What photo related shit would you recommend picking up off of there?
>>
>>4100922
Lens filter, like a good polarizer
>>
>>4100925
Was going to say this. Get NDs, Polarizers, or even UV filters to protect your glass. A spare camera battery, another SD card.
>>
>>4100922
a nice, hefty tripod
>>
File: 1668723169598.jpg (201 KB, 1371x1229)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
So how do I disattach two stuck to each other filters?
>>
>>4101211
I had an issue like that with extension tubes a few days ago
since they are empty I just slammed them flat on the table and after that I could begin to unscrew them
for your case I suggest laying it on a rubber mat that wont slip, laying onother one over it and then trying to turn it while applying downward pressure. The rubber will grip the rim above and below and with flat palm you should be able to unscrew them
>>
When you use the evf do you close your other eye?
>>
>>4101305
i don't use the EVF

i look through the OVF with both eyes open and the camera away from my face unless I really need to see the exposure settings and electronic level
>>
>>4100209
Watch this fat faggot https://youtu.be/dBTb1l0jLIw
>>
You just got to use the flash if you can.
>>
I need the "it's a Pentax" meme, the one with the crying blacks. Anyone?
>>
>>4100723
Anything that specifically makes you think that? It's either AP or Reuters photo, I forget which, would reporters lug around reflector screens? And do they have enough range to illuminate the people?

I like how the shadowed parts of the people are properly exposed despite shooting against bright light, if this is done with a reflector I'd be tempted to get one.
>>
>>4100008
What's the consensus on peepin' cameras?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1eIX-ovn0I
>>
>>4100488
The state of snoyfags
>>
>>4100662
My guess is theres a building with reflective glass to the left of the photo and its the afternoon
>>
>>4101397
That you can't beat the peep1000 for now
>>
Anyone have an anchor solution for using a 1in wide rifle sling (pic related) for a 35mm film camera?

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1296
Image Height1620
>>
>>4100008
If you push or pull the film and you're not revealing it by yourself, make a note for the guy revealing to push/pull that specific frame or he'll fuck up all your roll.
>>
you should just learn to speak korean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-0FBEw0tQ
>>
Where can I find a working lightroom crack?
>>
>>4101675
Various manufacturers make plates with a qd socket, but you’d have to run a one point sling.
>>
>>4101679
>specific frame
umm aren't you supposed to push/pull the whole roll?
>>
I know raising exposure in post can lead to increased noise, but is there any downside to lowering exposure in post?
>>
>>4102686
You can't bring back washed out highlights.
>>
are film lenses "full frame"? will I get the results I'm expecting from buying an adapter and using it to put an old lens on my modern full frame camera?
>>
>>4102875
The 35mm film frame is the full frame.
>>
>>4102875
Not all of them, just 35mm ones. The ones made for 110 film and other smaller formats project a smaller circle.
>>
>>4100240
none, both are shit. you can find some nikon F801 for 10 bucks more
>>
>>4100644
>I doubt that the built in meter can correct a yellow filter
it's a TTL filter so don't touch the iso setting, just slap your filter on and shoot the exposure your camera tell you
Simple as
>>
>>4102978
fugg already bought the minolate and shot almost 2 rolls
but thanks:p hope wont be too terribkle
>>
At what shutter speed should I be shooting wide landscapes, fast just doesn't look good and too slow makes too blurry, what is the right speed?
>>
photography is so fucking gay why do you exist
>>
>>4103167
<=1/15
>>
>>4102878
>>4102902
thanks anons. I bought a cheap adapter so even if it doesn't work out I only wasted like $15
>>
>>4101397
definitely usable but not at extreme distances.. I grabbed this of yt few years ago, pretty good demonstration of video capabilities..
bayfiles.com / Y030e5Jay3
>>
Why is 85mm supposed to be for portraits?
>>
File: 20221106_064907.jpg (2.43 MB, 4000x3000)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
I'm trying very cheap and generic hardware to get into astrophotography and I'm switching between two dedicated cameras and my Galaxy s21 camera. The phone takes way better pictures as the other is a shitty lumix that offers no control and the other is a cheap entry Fuji camera I won in a bid for $15.

So far, the phone camera isn't the that bad but all three pieces of equipment have their short comings but they all share not enough exposure time.

Galaxy s21 allows a 50iso with 20 second exposure.
Fuji allows a 8 second exposure (but still has a shit time capturing light)
Lumix offers no control beyond 4 second exposure manual or 30 second exposure with an auto mode.

Is there any sort of software hack I can do to force longer exposures or is it a literal hardware limitation?
>>
>>4101675
keyrings
>>
File: small.jpg (833 KB, 1404x1053)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
is there a /p/ approved guide for noobs? I'm trying to read the board but have no idea what all the terms mean.
also any tips for photographing birds?
>>
>>4103788
>also any tips for photographing birds?
study dentistry or buy a crop sensor camera. the croppest crop you can cop. micro four thirds? sure. nikon coolpix p1000? crop. cop it. dear fucking god i hate bird photography and i hate birds
>>
Why would I commit to increasing my ISO when I can just make it brighter in post if I need to? Both seem to have the exact same affect on the final photo.
>>
>>4103656
usually a focal that can still be very fast, focal distortion is not disfiguring, still small enough to minimise camera shake
>>
I have a lens which appears to have some internal damage to the glass that I can only see from a very specific angle when I shine light on it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect my images. How is this possible? Also, how would this impact the value of the lens when I sell it?
>>
>>4103805
so you can use faster shutter speeds or smaller apertures?
>>
File: push.png (1.67 MB, 1007x1006)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>4103656
for common portrait framing, it puts you at a camera to subject distance where perspective distortion is pretty flattering
gives you more subject isolation than a 50, and much more common / smaller / cheaper / versatile, than 105-135mm lenses which are also great for portraits
portrait work is done at all kinds of focal lengths, they just give a different look and may be better/worse for the type of portrait you are going for
>>4103805
best case, it's basically the same
most cases it's close enough to not care, but probably slightly worse, and always run the risk of clipping shadows
in many cases, it's much worse, picrel is a few models at iso 100 and pushed 5 stops in post
>>
I'm doing a small, paid photo gig in a few weeks' time. Nothing special, just a friend hosting an event for an organisation and they want some snaps. Is $50 (CAD) a reasonable ask for two hours of photographing? I want $50 for it but $40 is more tame and I could ask for that too without being too bothered.
>>
>>4103656
85mm is just a good focal length, that's all! :)
>>
>>4103984
it's EXTREME lowballing to the point that if it wasn't your friend, you'd probably be declined because it's suspiciously low. If you were doing it for the friend personally, sure, that's cool to cover the cost of transport and shit but doing it in any professional capacity it's way too low.
If it's a charity/non-profit/educational organization, go with $100 as a courtesy. If it's anything corporate, at least $200 depending how much editing is involved and how far do you have to travel.
>>
>>4102875
success!
>>
>>4104047
Damn, really? I was going off the fact that I would have been there anyway and bringing my camera is literally free. I guess I'm selling myself short, but I don't like feeling like I'm taking advantage
>>
anyone used the gx7 mark iii?
I need a lightweight camera to take hiking
>>
>>4104087
Googling around the minimum wage in Canada seems to be around ~$15 depending on province. So you're asking for $10 over minimum wage to cover
>transportation time and cost
>gear amortization
>time spent editing
>insurance/tax if applicable
Literally no skilled professional in almost any trade would ask anywhere near that low.
>>
I always hear about which developer gives fine grain but which developer gives rough grain I want that nasty big grain look

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6s
Camera Software15.7.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2022:11:16 20:47:59
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4101211
You could try putting them between your palms and using the glass as grip as you twist each hand.
>>
>>4104365
Probably rodinal I'd think. You could also try pushing your film maybe? What film are you shooting?
What the fuck is going on with the edges of your print? Do you not have an easel? It also looks a bit out of focus
>>
I use this flash with my film camera. But can I use it with my digital one? Or do I need to buy a new one

Image Width3696
Image Height3930
>>
>>4104410
no because they run at different voltages and i wouldnt be willing to try unless you wanna risk damaging both the camera and the flash
>>
>>4103831
because the angle you see the damage isnt the only angle light hits the sensor on that spot. The overlap of different angles of light hitting the sensor will cover up minor stuff but with enough pixel peeping and/or damage/fungus/whatever will soften up the image and cause defects.
>>
>>4104196
Well like I said, I was going to be there anyway so I didn't think to charge for transportation costs. Editing is basically irrelevant because presetting with my Foojee is good enough for my personal shots and will likely be just fine for some event candids; it's either me or someone with their smartphone, so I have an achievable standard set for me. I'm skilled, but this is my first-ever paid gig, so I don't know of my skillset demands a high price.
That said, you've given me good information and I agree with what you're saying I think I could comfortably charge $80 but I'll sit on it and try to convince myself to ask more. More money is better, but I'd feel guilty asking for too much
>>
>>4104410
Yes, you can use as a manual flash it in a cold shoe with a PC sync cable.
>>
about to buy a sony a6000 (with the 16-50mm lens it comes with) for 359+tip, how bad of an idea is this for my first camera?
>>
File: 71cLWKZbCWL.jpg (211 KB, 2500x2500)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>4104637
not a bad idea

pick up a TTL flash with a tilt/swivel head and one of these $5 cables. don't worry about buying lenses yet unless you want more zoom.
>>
>>4104638
thanks for the advice, is the built in flash really that bad? didn’t see any reviews mention it for some reason
I’ll definitely grab one though, any recommendations on some decently inexpensive ones?
>>
>>4104637
I quickly grew to dislike mine, mainly for its shutter sound (and it has no silent shooting option), but also the general ux.
You will want to use a RAW workflow as its jpeg engine is horrible, especially the denoising at higher iso values.
If you do not mind the extra size you will have more fun with a DSLR at this price range.
>>
>>4104647
Built in flash is weak, drains your battery fast, has a slow recycle time, and tends to create flat looking photos. It's barely any good as a fill flash for backlit conditions. Call it an emergency flash when you just want something documented and don't have a lot of kit with you.

A "real" flash has a wider power range, a zoom head for focusing the light, and can move the bulb to bounce light around the room letting you use it creatively to illuminate your subject in a 3-dimensional fashion. Off camera use enhances that even further. You can stick pretty much anything on the flash head to change the light it puts out if you own tape. You can also use wireless triggers and multiple flashes to sculpt the shadows and highlights however the hell you want, and most of them come with a modelling light that can act as continuous illumination for video or a rough preview of the flashed image. Generally a flash is a flash so even cheap chinese made flashes like godox/flashpoint are as good as any others as long as they support the TTL implementation your camera uses.
>>
>>4104649
unless the shutter sound gives me hearing damage and calls me a virgin to all nearby I think i’ll be OK
as for the ux, I’ve read it’s not that great but honestly I’m pretty used to navigating horribly designed menus so I don’t think I’ll have that much trouble with it, plus all the buttons are customizable which should sidestep having to navigate it a bunch
I don’t mind the extra size of a DSLR but since I’m totally new to the business I don’t really know what to even start with at this price point

>>4104655
Really appreciate the advice! I’ve heard the battery life is pretty poor (but I don’t mind taking extra with me) so it’s good to know the flash makes it even worse
>>
Super noob photographer here. Purchased some stupid chinkshit SD card reader and it corrupted all the images I took on this long weekend. Got a better reader and paid 40 bucks for some software to recover them, but wondering about the best way to prevent this from happening again. Can the write protect switch on my SD card prevent them from getting corrupted? Or does it not matter? Can you even upload photos with it turned on? If not what is the use case for this switch?
>>
>>4104670
Imagine not having an SD card reader built in to your computer
>>
>>4104676
i dont use a laptop and the tower im using doesnt have one
>>
Is 350$ a good price for a "Fotokor 1"?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.