[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: design-medium.jpg (197 KB, 1000x563)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
i'm trying to buy my sister a camera for her birthday and need help. she's a film student and I know it's not exactly this board's expertise but there's no /filmography board, I'm imagining some of you are knowledgeable enough about videography to help me out on this. I'm looking at DSLRs and trying to spend less than a grand but i don't want what I buy her to be obsolete mad quickly. im looking at the canon eos rebel sl3, thoughts?
>>
>>4082100
Honestly? Get her a gimbal for her smartphone, something like the dji OM 5.

The ability to do smooth tracking shots, handheld, will be a bigger boon to her filmmaking than anything else.
>>
>>4082109
i was thinking of this as well but didn't know of any exact products, thanks
>>
You should ask on the /vid/ thread, but I'd suggest something older believe it or not. 60D lets you shoot RAW for example (using Magic Lantern firmware). SL3 is awesome at being small and modern but for video it's a bit limited. Otherwise you could get her something mirrorless, Panasonic is awesome for video.
Avoid Canon RF cameras, they're playing dirty with third party lens makers and that will gimp the system.
Lumix GX85, G7, GX9 and G85 are probably good choices.
Ask the /vid/ guys about them, GX85 is on sale with 2 lenses for 597 on B&H.
They're all stabilized too.
I was going to suggest the Sony a6600 but it's 1300 just for the body.
GH4 is a solid option but it's 997 just for the body.
>>4082109
This is a good one too
>>4082113
Personally I'd probably get the GX85 and a DJI mic wireless kit or Rode Wireless Go II. Or maybe some lighting. Some small LED panel with decent CRI.
>>
>>4082109
>>4082116
thanks both of you i decided to get her the gimbal for her smartphone, did look into getting the gx85 but i am broker than i thought and also other reasons led me to that choice including that she has expressed uncertainty in her career path and until she is deadset passionate about filming probably wont drop too much on a camera for her, anyways thanks lads you helped me out cheers
>>
>>4082125
used g85 with kitlens for $600, doesnt need a gimbal since the stabilizer already is so good
>>4082100
>>4082100
>>
>>4082100
get her a red komodo
>>
Anything but eos. Every normie "photographer" in town has one around their neck and it infuriates me
>>
>>4082696
What makes you think your personal feelings count, especially your incel tier hatred?
>>
>>4082696
>and it infuriates me
need to talk it out?
>>
>>4082708
no it's fine
I'm fine
sheesh
>>
Isn't giving this kind of stuff better with a bit of dialogue? It's like painting someones house green as a surprise only to find out they like blue better. You shouldn't ask 4 chan what would be good, you should ask her..., or likely will get something not entirely what she likes/ prefers to use.

And as a sidenote, 4k (or 4k plus) movies takes a shitload of processing power to edit. Don't forget you not only need a camera, but a beefy computer as well.
>>
>>4082100
>I dont want what i buy her to be obsolete mad quickly
>DSLR
too late.
>>
>>4082739
DSLRs will never be obsolete, chud. they're good now especially since lenses have never been cheaper
>>
>>4082742
they have been obsolete in the video world for over half a decade now
>>
>>4082742
Being cheap doesnt save them from obsolescence. If anything, being cheaper proves that theyre falling off. Lens development is going to stagnate for them.
>>
>>4082100
Sony A6400

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.