[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 66 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

Admit it, /p/. You use AUTO settings 99% of the time. I want the truth! Confess to your photography crimes!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Photographer© Mark Evans
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6500
Image Height3656
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:03:13 17:37:59
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2600
Image Height1463
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4079833
Is this the thread where people confess sucking isi off?
>>
Bless me Father for I have sinned, I hide all bullshit threads leaving only threads that contain photographs. It means I can browse /p/in less than 6.5 minutes and then get on with the rest of my life.
>>
>>4079833
I don't care that much about people's photography except my own
>>
>>4079833
i actually have no idea what auto does. is it even legal? i know some automatics are illegal, so i use semi to be safe!!!
>>
I use aperture priority because no auto lenses. My sins is that I hardly put my photos on my computer and just leave them on sd cards. When I do its all so unorganized they go in folders in folders in folders and on different drives. My room is also a mess.
>>
>>4079833
Dont use auto, I actually go through some of my pictures and do light touching up. Worst thing I do is not trying to find who owns the machines I take pictures of outside of really obvious ones
>>
>>4079833
i don't complete the photographic process and don't print my shit
i have most fun and creativity on my fuji x100v despite using my a7r4 for "proper" photography
i edit all my exifs posted here to catch out gear fags despite being a raging gear fag myself
>>
I don't even own a camera.
>>
>>4079862
> I don’t own a camera

Neither does most of /p/

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width275
Image Height183
>>
>>4079864
Most of /p/ does nothing except own cameras. Theu buy them, own them, then sell them when there's a new one to buy.
>>
>>4079865
this
>>
>>4079843
This. Photography is a past time, and I only wish to document flora and fauna through it. I don't understand people
who call this an "art", A nice picture is nice but taking a picture of two old men drinking beer on the street or some old woman in B&W is completely pointless to me, I cannot fathom how other people get a following over trash like that.
>>
>>4079903
I'm the opposite. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can be interested in ONLY shooting flora and fauna. In fact, I'd probably rank my interest in my subject matter as follows:
>1. documentary/photojournalism
>2. random street photography
>3. wildlife
>4. landscapes
>5. flora and fauna
>.
>.
>.
>967,342: abstract artfag nonsense
>>
I use auto focus and auto white balance. But other than that, I keep it in Professional mode.
>>
>>4079865
Lol /p/ doesn’t have the dough for this.
>>
>>4079906
>type photojournalism in google
>Almost exclusively black and white drama bullshit
Oh, so that was it. Guess it comes down to the shooter's personality then. I for one cannot give a single fuck about people or their suffering, i've seen enough shit to tell how any of that is so commonplace and trivial, and at the end of the day the people are rarely undeserving.

On the other hand, this world is vast, nature is extensive and complex, I only wish to live long enough to document as many encounters as I can. Think of it as filling my pokedex.
>>
>>4079833
I still don't know what shutter speed I need to not take blurry shitty photos.
I had been using my camera for 6 months.
>>
>>4079923

1/200 is safe 1/100 if you have good technique and a steady hand 1/50 if you want slight arty blur from moving subjects
>>
>>4079837
>6.5 minutes
You're lying
>>
>>4079923
/150 as a rule of thumb. 1/60 in low light. Use a tripod and a remote.
>>
I only got interested in photography with the idea of getting femboy attention
>>
>>4079927

1/60 in low light with a modern digital camera is not happening unless your lens has stabilisation.
>>
>>4079923
Take your focal length. Double it. Make it the denominator of your shutter speed. Voila.

If you're using a 50mm lens, you should use a 1/100 shutter speed. 35mm, 1/60-1/75.

If you're using crop/aps-c, triple it. 35mm on aps-c needs 1/100.
>>
>>4079936

For film sure but on high res modern digital sensors that rules very risky
>>
>>4079938
That rule is modified for digital sensors. The old rule was 1/Focal length. The new, digital, rule is 1/2xFocal length.
>>
>>4079833
>photography crimes
Auto does a better job 99% of the time. Only when I'm doing something odd like astronomy pictures do I ever need to go full manual.
Pic related was through triple layer glass since fuck going outside when it's below freezing.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M50m2
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.30
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2022:05:18 00:44:33
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Color Matrix136
Color Temperature5200 K
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed288
>>
>>4079940
... Why?
>>
>>4079936
Can i still do this if my camera is a micro 4/3 (focal lenghth is already doubled)?

Like i shot at 40 mm which are 80mm on a micro 4/3, this means that shutter speed should be 1/80 or 1/160?
>>
>>4079946
Just put it to highlights spot metering, dummy.
>>
Nah half my lenses are manual, so I shoot manual a lot. Just takes slightly more patience.

Use the "I Am Shooting" process - I.A.S. - Iso, Aperture, then Shutter speed.
>>
>>4079989
I'd hazard a guess that the increase in resolution / detail makes movement more noticeable. I remember when the D800 came out, it was a big jump from the 12mp of the D700, so a lot of people ran into issues with shake, that they handn't before. Anecdotally, I know I can handhold 12mp vs 24mp vs 50mp at different shutter speeds before I get noticible movement, even at the same focal length.
>>4080005
These are just rules of thumb. It ultimately depends on how steady you are, how steady the subject is, the resolution (see above), and other stuff like IBIS. Best bet is to just try out shooting at different speeds and see how low you can go before camera shake or subject movement is a problem.
>>
I got a A73 + 24-75 Sigma that takes beautiful pictures but don't bring it anywhere because it just takes too much space and is much less convenient than my phone (S21) that takes pictures that look really good printed anyway.
>>
>>4079865
I don't think /p/ has the foresight, organisation, social skills, or the wherewithal of any kind to sell its cameras. It buys whatever the midrange used camera of the moment is once every few years and keeps a growing heap of previous purchases in a dusty drawer.
>>
>>4079911
okay so you genuinely have autism
>>
>>4080039
probably because you're a richfag who doesn't even remember the range of the lens he bought
>>
>>4080224
I'm not a richfag and I really like this lens. I just can't bother bringing my backpack every time I go out.
>>
File: 1658794156377367.jpg (80 KB, 846x1024)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
I shoot film, self dev and just look at the negs for a bit before storing them. Never scanned them, bought an enlarger with some trays and shit but no chems about 2 years ago and that's about as far as I went in that direction. I have zero motivation in life, thankyou for reading my blogpost.
>>
>>4080024
Why would you go in that order?

First decide whether shutter speed needs to be of concern, do you need to freeze fast motion, do you want some motion blur, how much available light do you have, how much dof do you need?

Assuming shutter speed is a concern, set the shutter speed to where it has to be. If it's not of concern, then choose aperture first as it has the biggest effect on the aesthetic of the image.

Finally raise iso until the exposure is correct, if the iso ends up too high and image too noisy, consider what of the 3 can be altered whilst hurting the shot as little as possible.

IAS was valid back in the film era when you had to decide your iso once every 36 shots.
>>
i shoot mft because i'm poor, i'd prefer a proper camera with a full frame sensor
>>
>>4079903
does it hurt to be this retarded?
>>
>>4080351
Funny, I shoot full frame because I'm poor but would probably prefer a bleeding edge MFT camera.
>>
>>4080367
This some cope & seethe right here
>>
>>4080372
Not really, I was happier with the body when I had an APS-C. But APS-C wide lenses are expensive.
To have the setup I now have with my APS-C would probably have cost me thousands more. I've picked ultra wides for under 50 bucks.
>>
>>4080366
There's nothing interesting about photos of wrinkled up boomers anon.
>>
>>4079833
AUTO is not a crime its the most sensible way. If you are shooting fast moving things like sport or astrophotography then you go manual. That's it
>>
I use a pentax camera and its hyper-program mode 90 % of the time. It's convenient for most everyday shooting because it's P, Av and Tv in one mode
>>
Once I got so drunk and high that I manage to ejaculate inside my camera's lens mount and now my sensor is fucked.
>>
>>4080343
iktfb
>>
File: 08140011.jpg (4.28 MB, 3648x5472)
4.28 MB
4.28 MB JPG
My photos are average at best and i have no idea what im doing.
I just got into this hobby because i love tech stuff and love making attachments/adapters for it with my 3d printer and repairing old cameras.

so far i bought a broken rx100, replaced the lens ribbon cabble, works
and recently bought a samsung nx 30 with a broken microusb plug, just soldered it back on and it works.
Im just a gearfag.

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelNX30
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 7.5.1 (Android)
Image Created2022:08:14 08:59:14
Exposure Time1/800 sec
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
>>
>>4079833
I legitimately never use auto for anything because even if I am a mostly digital shooter nowadays, I learned by shooting on film. Even all of my lenses at the moment are completely manual. Though I don't look down on anyone if they use auto, it's just not what I'm used to. All that matters is the final result.
>>
>>4080442
Is this your photo?
>>
>>4080442
NO its won an award I think or maybe it was AI
>>
>>4080343
and someday, someone will find all your negs and tell themselves : damn it's shit
>>
>>4079833
I mostly use aperture priority and follow up with manual if I don't like how the exposure came out. Simple as. No auto ISO. That's for fags who's shit is all retarded.
>>
>>4079833
I have two medium format camera bodies, a bunch of decent lenses and a convenient amount of film backs ready to be loaded with half a shelf full of film, as well as everything I need to develop, enlarge and/or scan at home
yet I only shoot 35mm digital and haven't touched any of that stuff since 2019 or so because I can't be bothered
>>
I am still a phonefag; because I am such a poorfag.
>>
I hate raw files and try to get as good image as i can as jpg out of the camera.
>>
>>4082311
Shoot fuji then.
>>
File: 1645559065524.jpg (931 KB, 2048x1342)
931 KB
931 KB JPG
i wish i could draw instead of being into photography but im retarded in that aspect

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix JZ200/JZ210
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 5.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.9
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2022:09:22 22:15:09
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/4.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.6
Brightness3.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length11.30 mm
Exposure Index1
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
I don't understand white balance, levels, the histogram or most of the basics of the technical aspects of digital photography. I also keep forgetting the chemical reactions involved in film, despite working primarily with film. Silver halide, reduction (?)
>>
>>4082313
>fuji
>good jpeg
oof
>>
>>4081638
this.
also
>I have a $2800 camera and $1000 lens just to take pictures of my newborn and my dog
come at me, bros. My sin is being a gear queer.
>>
i use higher than the lowest iso settings
>>
>>4082436
cool pic anon
>>
turn dial to /p
half press meter
adjust the EV setting
>>
>>4082551
inexcusable
return your photofag license right now
>>
>>4079833
Yep, I only use auto
Can't be bothered with manual or half manual, auto is just better
>>
>>4079833
I use manual settings even when it's totally unnecessary. Not because of principle, but because I'm too much of a lazy fuck to think about when to use the different priority modes
>>
>>4082665
same
When the metering in my old camera got fucked and kept overexposing the auto modes all the time I just used manual and I got so used to it I can't be bothered to switch to any other mode ever since
>>
I hate the rudiments of DLSR, but what I hate more are EVIL. But what I hate most is image editing and there I have a backog up until 2018 on some of the photos.
Despite this, I'm the friendly and ambitious wedding photographer for friends, acquaintances, friends and family of friends. They don't think I'm the gearfag I think I am, not tired of monotonous or mediocre work I think I am.
>>
>>4082529
Hey the newborn is what convinced my wife to let me upgrade my camera so they’re good for something
>>
File: 1649806513943.jpg (800 KB, 2048x1453)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
>>4082552
thankx
i wish i could draw it instead, lol

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Image Created2022:09:16 13:53:27
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.9
Exposure ProgramAction
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.9
Brightness1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.50 mm
Exposure Index1
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: IMG_9059.jpg (743 KB, 4368x2912)
743 KB
743 KB JPG
I have fucking 5D classic, it has auto but it's too shitty.

So I'm forced to use manual all the time. Otherwise I would use aperture/shutter priority.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Image Created2022:09:04 05:15:51
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
Focal Length90.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 1475293926039.png (660 KB, 1106x1012)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>>4079833
my camera doesn't have an auto mode
>>
File: 1646470461926.jpg (1.11 MB, 2048x1464)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>4082569
for how long have you been shooting?

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Image Created2022:09:24 01:20:16
Exposure Time1/6 sec
F-Numberf/4.2
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.2
Brightness0.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length9.00 mm
Exposure Index1
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
I stopped shooting pictures a long time ago
>>
You guys...I have no idea how to edit. I'm serious. Like, I am a fucking retard. I import into Lightroom and then I mostly hit AUTO and then only try other presets when it looks retarded and then I sometimes adjust the sliders but I 99% of the time hit UNDO and then I stare at the photo for a while before I give up because I have no fucking clue what I'm doing and holy shit I'm stupid as fuck. I'm not even trying to do some weird Peter Lik shit, I just want my snapshits to look better.
>>
>>4082759
Give drawing a second try, anon. I've been shit at drawing all my life. Bought a cheap drawing tablet earlier this year and within two months I could draw some anime girls with simple designs fairly accurately. Never in my life did I think I could ever draw anything that looked that good before, and after going out on a limb and just practicing a bit, I managed to achieve what I thought was impossible for me. You never know what untapped potential you might have.
>>
I have no idea how to get sharp focus. I can't even tell if my photos are focused. Like sometimes I hear people say "your focus was on the nose, retard" and I can look at the photo and I wouldn't be able to tell where my focus was at all without someone pointing it out.
>>
Nothing wrong with auto setting so I'm not confessing/bragging
>>
I only take photos for the instagram likes. I don't care about the art of it all or anything, I just like that dopamine hit.
>>
File: 1659033270190.jpg (948 KB, 2048x1484)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
>>4083209
how did you learn it? maybe i should give it another try

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Image Created2022:09:24 21:53:59
Exposure Time1/2 sec
F-Numberf/2.9
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.9
Brightness-2 EV
Exposure Bias2 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.50 mm
Exposure Index1
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>4083210
just turn on eye af
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.jpg (49 KB, 500x628)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Just added up all the gear I've bought so far into the hobby. Ended up at an eye watering $9,000.

Then added up everything I would have bought knowing what I know now. It was only $5,000 and even had better lenses. I could even get most of the way with just $3,500.

A lot of gear looks good on paper, but it's either complete bullshit or you'll barely ever use it.
>>
>>4083274
Trial and error and repetition. You'll most likely start off with your line art looking like chicken scratch, it's a thing people do when they're not confident enough and instead of drawing one smooth line they draw multiple connected short lines. I got over that subconsciously just by just repetitive doodling. You'll eventually realize how easy it is to erase a mistake, specifically if you're drawing on the computer with a drawing tablet. Once you get over your fear of making mistakes, your line art will naturally get cleaner.

For my practice, I would try to recreate very simple characters as accurately as I could. Rimuru Tempest's slime form for example is basically an oval for his face/body two big lines for his eyes, and like two to four small lines for his eye creases. If you can master that, you've basically just drawn your first anime character. Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is another character I love drawing, very simple but instantly recognizable design. Drawing something simple like Meatwad and having it come out almost tv show accurate is what gave me a huge confidence boost. Start simple and then challenge yourself to recreate slightly more complex characters.

Eventually I would try to do some proper drawings, using techniques like sketching and using guide lines. Sketching is what kills a lot of people who want to learn how to draw, they want to skip it and just draw a finished product. Anyway, I applied every thing I've learned and eventually I could draw black and white line art headshots of characters like Nagataro, Jahy and Nadeshiko from Yuru Camp. Even though it's just line art, it's cute so I'm happy.

The tl;dr of all this is that you have to draw Meatwad, I can not stress this part enough. Good luck, anon.
>>
File: 1663432431087564.png (2.58 MB, 1798x1208)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB PNG
I want to buy another lens, but I havent even used my gear for years now.
>>
File: 1638322777513.jpg (75 KB, 1170x1159)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>4083511
thanks anon
>>
>>4079833
People like my photos and I think they all suck. No, not posting any because this isn't a cry for attention.
>>
>>4083606
post some, im very curious
>>
>>4083607
No.
>>
>>4083792
please:p
>>
File: 184723147232.jpg (179 KB, 900x900)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
I go into debt to buy large format film. When they stop producing it or it gets more expensive than diamonds, I'll quit photography entirely.
>>
File: FHymz7NUcAA18u4.jpg (127 KB, 1080x1117)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>4079833
This is what got me interested into photography.
Hasn't worked thought.
>>
I'm studying a lot and spend most of my time sniffing for good deals on used lens, despite barely having the time to shoot and practice. I am lowkey a gearfag, as are most of folks in this board.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.