[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1662394218520.jpg (375 KB, 968x1456)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
Is becoming a wedding photographer a good idea?
>>
>independently working for individuals in a highly emotional environment
Do not want.
>>
>>4076722
dumb clients / customers exist in every industry
wedding photography for me has been relatively fun and pretty lucrative
meet lots of people, travel a bit, etc
there's a lot more work behind the scenes to be successful
but it's still not that much for how high the pay can be
i probably prefer just doing more short stuff like elopements, engagements, family, boudoir, headshots, etc..
>>
avoid at all costs
>>
>>4076722
That depends on if you want to make money while you’re alive or if you want to maybe possibly become somewhat artfag famous when a jew “discovers” you when you’re dead and makes money off the rights to your work.
NOTE: that’s not anti-semitism that’s just the reality of the situation and I don’t blame any jewish nepotism as any other group can do the exact same thing if they wanted. The jew is just very good at it.
>>
>and then everyone on the bus clapped
>>
>>4076722
Tell the dumb bitch that youre a photographer, not a consultant.
>>
>>4076722
Any type of professional photography is going to be a bad deal on the part of the photographer. More so with wedding photography.
>>
>>4076722
It's the easiest way to make money with your camera.
>>
>>4076722
If you haven't reached the stage where the idea of doing a wedding shoot doesn't scare the hell out of you, you're not ready to shoot a wedding. It's one of the most demanding photography arenas and you'll be dealing with micromanaging entitled people during the entire process.
THAT BEING SAID- I would recommend getting a position as assistant for a seasoned wedding photographer, first. He's the guy getting the shots that might be needed if the main guy has an issue. You'll learn the ropes and make some cash at the same time. Tough gig to get into.
Random tips-
>Back up your cards at every step of the process. The unthinkable can happen. Data corruption, losing a card, etc
>Have the contract spell out exactly what you're giving them. And more importantly, what they're not getting (copyright of work, original RAW files, even full-size jpegs). You do NOT want them to be able to have your work printed by them and distributed. Any digital copies they receive should be too low a quality to be of any use as a print. Consider watermarking every digital copy, too. Remember- you're making money from taking the pictures to processing the pictures to printing the pictures. Never let a client short you on any part.
>A professional wedding photographer will have professional equipment. A top camera with top lenses and top lighting. You have to have the greatest probability of getting the best shot. If you can't afford that, you're not ready for the job. Again, consider the assistant position first.
>Learn how to set up a business and tax entity that will protect you and your assets from liability in the case of a lawsuit.
>Like any other small business, the #1 failure cause is lack of enough working capital to keep you afloat until you're self-sufficient. Money for equipment, travel expenses, advertising, insurance, etc.
>>
Chck out the work of photographer Leah Muse....
>>
I don’t get it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1600
Image Height1200
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4076819
very good post, you seem like you've done this a lot
>>
>>4076722
i work as a staff photographer for a local lifestyle magazine and i get sent to weddings nearly every weekend. shits gay & boring and unless you REALLY love photographing couples i dont see why you would want to dedicate yourself to it voluntarily
>>
>>4077748
Because it’s the easiest way to make money with your camera.
>>
>>4077782
no its not bro. if you want ez money with your camera make a facebook page and offer your services for "casual"sessions around town. where i live people charge like 50 dollars for a half hour session and all you have to do is snap a few photos then add some filter on lightroom and all the normies eat it up as art. way easier than dealing with wedding photography
>>
>>4077839
This unironically sounds pretty decent. What's the catch? Stagnating artistically? Selling your soul to instagram? I suppose the same things are true of wedding photography though.
>>
>>4077839
Another question. What do you do about locations, especially when your city isn't that big?
>>
File: kogyf7g8r9w71.jpg (1.46 MB, 3024x4032)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>inb4 leddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeddingPhotography/comments/qhygvh/saw_this_on_facebook_and_loved_this_girls/
>>
>>4076722
being a wedding photog is tough, being a GOOD wedding photog is hard as fuck.

you have to be decently artistic/creative, and good at improv and problem solving while on your feet. You have to really know your gear, be good with people, know the photgraphy AND vieography aspects, be able to pilot a drone, work in shit weather conditions, deal with other asshole vendors and venues, and then, if you're doing it for a living, you have to go home after every shoot and be disciplined and knowledgable enough to run a business.

and the kneeling and heavy gear around your neck for 10-12 hours at a time wears you down physically

Also you work every weekend.

Something else to consider...The overwhelming majority of wedding photogs are liberal women who also think they're models, so if you're a man you have to work against that because they'll all trash talk you on their secluded little fb groups and internet forums.

I think a lot of people get into it because they think its easy and they'll make their own schedule and it doesnt require a degree or state certs, but its real work.
>>
>>4076728
the extreme poor and very rich clients are the worst.

avoid the extreme ends of the financial spectrum. The poors want free stuff, but the rich expect it.
>>
>>4077839
I wouldn't say 50 bucks a weekend is easy money.
>>
>>4078009
who the fuck is doing photos AND video at a wedding?
>>
>>4078973
At least a group of 3 people.

>>4077743
Much more they're a youngster that had some glimpse into the business, maybe only by a workshop. They're overdoing and overstating it.
You don't need the best gear, you don't need to have a drone lest be able to fly it. Card loss or corruption is a non issue. You'll lose it if you are bound to switch cards, you'll corrupt data irrecoverably if you don't format properly, pull batteries or cards during operation, you'll break cards that are old.
Wedding photography is stressful and yes it's demanding on photography but really it's more of management and social effort. Then it's a time constraint which will mitigate with more planning and more people involved to your assistance, this includes even guests. IMO, it's unusual if the main photographer or videographer flys a drone. Drone shots are secondary and b roll.
TL;DR Assistance and planning are key to successful wedding photography
>>
My business partner and I were doing about 8-9 weddings a year before covid hit. Neither of us particularly cared to do it. My partner loves doing fashion shoots, and I moon light as a PJ for the local paper.

It required a shit ton of planning. Every wedding was mapped out in 5 minute increments. We attended every rehearsal (even when we've shot the venue like 5 times prior). Our contracts kept getting longer because couples can't be arsed to fucking send us the client shoot lists and shit like that. Every wedding coordinator we worked with was fucking useless at the day of the event. We were the runners between the bridal party, parents of the bride and groom, and the DJ (DJ's vary IMMENSLY in quality). At every wedding we were pretty much solely responsible ensuring it all ran smoothly. After a solid 8-10 hours of work, you go home and immediately start editing and sorting 2,000-3,000 photos that are boring as fuck.

I miss the extra $16,000-$24,000 a year, but between working full time and editing weddings every fucking day, it gets tiresome. I'm pretty introverted so I went home feeling dead and emotionally exhausted after every wedding.
>>
It’s fucking awful at first then it becomes a bore. It’s stressful as hell and you definitely need to assist an established photographer first.
>>
>>4079173
Amen. I worked as a second shooter and general gopher and at the end of the night I just gave my business partner my memory cards and fucked off home exhausted. The thought of wading through that shit trying to make a fat bitch of a bride look faintly attractive did not appeal to me.
>>
File: 20090122-DTC-Area-055.jpg (146 KB, 500x751)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>4079173
>>4079514
>>4079515
>>4077748
I appreciate the realistic input but for God's sakes you all need to go work at a fucking graveyard shift factory and I wonder why you all did weddings in the first place with such lousy attitudes. Did you all expect anything different from roasties bitching and wanting cheap deals and useless wedding coordinators and disgusting weird DJs? It's like I'm reading posts from 19 year olds who broke into the industry and became jaded after their 20th birthday. Just because photography isnt as hard working in the mines doesnt mean its supposed to be fun or easy money. It's WORK. If it were easy money everyone would do it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>4076722
>Making a business out of "art"
No
>>
>>4077864
What is the insurance for?
>>
>>4076742
>and then everyone on the bus clapped
this
>>
>>4076722
Any job where you're directly dealing with the public is a bad idea.
It's not nice to say but a very large portion of people are either very stupid, unreasonable, uncivilized to the point of being antisocial, and any combination of the above.
Even if the vast majority of people you encounter are good and everything goes smoothly, you'll always have a percentage of clients like this, and even it's overall worth it because of the money, doing what you love, etc. you need to question whether it's worth the effect it has on your psychology and the way you see the world and humanity.
>>
>>4079575
liability insurance
if you injure someone and they sue, the insurance covers it (as long as you've done nothing horifically wrong)
>>
>>4077864
lol deadbeats hurt some goon can cut them in half
>>4079570
>you all need to go work at a fucking graveyard shift factory
Other than being able to sit down the editing part of a wedding shot is literally a graveyard shift grind, do it something you cunt.
>Photography is WORK.
Wrong.
>>
>>4079667
How do you injure someone through photography?
Dropping a light on them?
>>
>>4079575
the gear in case you fuck it up
potentially for services like data recovery if your cards fuck up
if you get sued for some reason, even as simple as someone tripping over your camera bag or light stand
if you have to fly people out and do a re-shoot of formals because you mega fucked up
for reference, like $15k of gear and $1mil liability ran me around $600/yr
many nicer venues will require the photographer (and other vendors) to have insurance and provide certificates saying so (which can run like $50 per)
could also be health insurance too for us americans, which is way more $
if you don't shoot pro, you should get your gear on your renters/homeowners insurance, super cheap
>>
>>4079570
Your response does not further this discussion. Enjoy your third-shift factory work, seems to be the only thing you’re cut out for.
>>
>>4076722
No, easy way to get sued if you're murican.
>>
>>4079669
nice work ethic you have there, zoomer
this country is going down the drain
>>
>>4079684
You show them your portfolio.
>>
>>4076722
It must be such an embarrassing pain in the ass... DO NOT WANT.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.