[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: 1652738864730s.jpg (6 KB, 250x244)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
What do you think?

=====
Digital changed the landscape. Before the pixel, craft was still an elemental component of the narrative. A process that involved trusting strips of cellulose in a mysterious dark box was replaced by instant, impeccable rendering, in situ on vast monitors. The photographer’s role as sorcerer and custodian of the vision was diminished: The question ‘have we got it?’ became redundant. Now it was the photographer asking the art director asking the client. Which is a big deal. Because the previous dialectic was that you engaged people who brought something to the party you couldn’t provide yourself. Like Magi, the ‘creatives’ brought creativity; photographers, vision. By abdicating those responsibilities to the guy who’s paying, you’re undergoing a sort of self-inflicted castration. A culture of fear and sycophancy develops. Self-worth diminishes, because nobody really likes being a eunuch, even a well-paid one. There’s less currency in having a viewpoint. The answer to the question ‘What have you got to say?’ drifts towards ‘What do you want me to say?’ There’s reward in being generic, keeping one’s vision in one’s pocket. Trouble is, when your vision has spent too long in your pocket, sometimes you reach for it and it’s not there any more."
=========
>>
>>4074875
I think that very little in that paragraph applies to literally anyone on this board. No one is working with a creative director and client on this board. Anyone who says they are either did it fucking once and never again, or they're larping.

Anyway, it's also just some retrogrouch commercial photographer wistfully longing for the good ol' days, so it's trash at all levels.

Trash sentiment, trash thread, trash all the way down.
>>
>>4074911
>Trash sentiment, trash thread, trash all the way down.
You mean digital has advanced photography to the next level?
>>
>>4074875
Bitter rant from a rep who was losing money.

https://www.diyphotography.net/julian-richards-explains-closed-successful-photo-rep-agency-photographers-undergoing-self-inflicted-castration/
>>
yeah that would be cool if i answered to other people about the images i create
>>
>>4074875
Who cares? Good photos are good photos.
>>
Change this to a rant about likes on Instagram and it then applies to most of this board and the world.
Put away your vision, just try to shoot based only on what gets likes.
It’s a very unfulfilling way to live.
>>
>>4074875
>What do you think?
I think he talks like a fag and his shit's all retarded.
>>
Gear beats talent every time. And AI generation will make photography as art obsolete anyway.
>>
>>4074875
Butthurt protog mad that he can't monopolize darkrooms anymore now that digital processing is practically free and hazardless.
>>
>>4074875
i have no idea about that but you should take up as a writer for b-tier theatre plays
>>
>>4076655
Except he didn't write it, it is a c&p. See >>4074981
>>
>>4076421
AI will hurt photography as a profession, not as an art.
>>
>>4074875
my counterargument is this:
your image is not art, you are in no way a photographer.
>>
>>4076675
That's not an argument.
>>
>>4076676
the evaluative faculty identifies what is beautiful eg gold.

minds without discernment cannot achieve legitimate ideas.

therefore, your argument is annulled. have a good day.
>>
>>4076677
That's got nothing to do with the original argument.
>>
>>4074875
Digital photography is modern miracle. The cost and ease of use of photography has improved access for those starting out and expanded the ceiling for experts. Using an all digital workflow still requires the utmost skill and knowledge as well as equipment to do it. Have you ever made a custom camera profile? Profiled your monitor for soft proofing on your favorite paper? Tried different paper until you found one you like? Profiled that paper on your printer with a spectrometer? Cut up, matted, and framed a large print? I didn't think so.

I do agree that good times have made weak men, and it is more difficult to set yourself apart today vs 50 years ago. There is no way in hell I could do what I do with digital.
>>
>>4074875
i dont get the point, client work has always been about this... unless you have an unique aesthetic that people are specifically paying you for
>>
>>4074914
Yes
All sorts of creative stuff came from being able to take 1000 pics a day without spending money
>>
>>4074875
>>Digital changed the landscape.
True, it's a lot easier now.
>>Before the pixel, craft was still an elemental component of the narrative. A process that involved trusting strips of
Aaaand, here it's where it goes off the rails already. Easier does not mean anyone can do it, contrary to what many people seem to believe, it's easier, but not easy. Real photography still takes a lot of work besides just pressing a button. The people that are just pressing a button, are not photographers.
>>
>>4082699
>Real photography still takes a lot of work besides just pressing a button. The people that are just pressing a button, are not photographers.
>nooooooooooo you're not real photographers! >:(
Keep trying to gatekeep colin
>>
File: DSCF5119.jpg (409 KB, 2000x1333)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>4082703
Not Colin and not gatekeeping. I like people making photograps, but photography is more than just that one button press. You can clearly distinguish between a snapshot and someone that has experience (exposure triangle, composition,,takes time to do post). Doing everything good in that process, or at least decent, takes time and effort to learn.
You can of course be artsy and think you don't need all this 'knowledge' and make very alternative stuff randomly and by chance. Can be art as well, it's a subjective thing, so I dunno. On the other hand, if you're a good photographer, it shouldn't be a problem for you get in the 'popular' page of 500px,just because you want to or as a challenge to yourself. Or win a photo contest or something. You can keep making excuses like you don't want to, it's not your style, the algorhythmmmm is messing with you, but in the end, you just lack the skill or the perseverance or simply the patience to wait for the right light conditions were that one shot is the best. If thats you, who wishes to keep believing that browsing and discussing, blaming gear, 'the times' and what not are what's keeping you back, then I'm here to tell you, there is no easy way, no shorcuts, or just 'raw talent' (in pressing a button one time, really?). Like all other crafts, it takes time and effort to get better at it, and in photograpy, there is always more to learn.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E2
Camera SoftwareRAW FILE CONVERTER EX 2.0 powered by SILKYPIX 4.1.0.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)21 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2020:08:28 21:38:55
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness3.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length14.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-8NvY43h2Y

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.