[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: gsmarena_004.jpg (170 KB, 1200x799)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
"1 inch sensors" are now being implemented into phones. What would it take for you to move over to using a phone as a primary or secondary camera?
For me it's the viewfinder that I find most important about cameras and sometimes the sensor size although I could easily live with a 1 inch sensor as I'm not a bokeh-whore.
The notable improvement in shutter speed and low light shots is noted as the main advantages of the large sensor in the Xiaomi 12S Ultra but not much else.
>>
>>4056917
Not much desu if I was a MFT shooter
>>
>>4056917
They aren't true 1" sensors. The sensor is 1" but they don't use the entire surface area. It's noticeably smaller. The xiaomi, Sony etc are all cropped.
>>
>>4056921
The 12S Ultra uses the whole sensor and has the option to take a 50MP shot using the whole thing.
>The sensor is paired with a 23mm equivalent F1.9 8P aspheric lens. That makes it F5.2 full-frame equivalent, placing it 0.8EV and 2/3EV ahead of the F6.8 and F6.5 equivalent iPhone 13 Pro and Google Pixel 6 Pro, respectively.
>>
>>4056917
>What would it take for you to move over to using a phone as a primary or secondary camera?
Not possible, I do not want to work with the ergonomics and touch only control of phones.
I do not see them as convenient or enjoyable devices, just an annoying necessity.
>>
The biggest difficulty for me would be the lack of a comfortable grip for holding the camera.
>>
>>4056917
No, there are no dedicated controls so shooting experience sucks. With that kind of money they want for those phones, I'd buy a dedicated phone instead and far less money .
>>
polaroid film back on a phone when
>>
>>4056917
Not gonna lie, my old Nokia 1020 took some pretty incredible images and, if I’m being honest, although it’s a meme the ability of having a camera that was at least decent in your pocket with you literally everywhere you went is fucking awesome. Again, nothing ever matched the top quality cameras, of course, and I doubt they ever will. Still, just the ability to have a snapshit in your pocket that’s actually more like a snapactuallythatsprettydecentdudenotgonnalie is very attractive to some.
>>
>>4056917
I use flash all the time. How do I mount my flash on any phones?
>>
>>4056960
Don't all phones have a built-in flash?
Not sure if they're any good, I never shoot with a phone myself.
>>
>>4056917
I want good macro. Other than that my S20 does great video although the 64mp on it won't stay on in the settings so I have to manually set it everytime I launch. In terms of an all in one tool phones are amazing. But you're almost better off with a mid range phone and having a small full frame you could possibly send a quick .jpg if you need to for whatever situation. Needing to carry around a laptop to do lightroom is kinda pointless if you got a phone with 6-12GB of ram and cloud storage options in case somebody jacks your camera or an SD card fails after manually swapping it out. Wifi and Bluetooth make it no longer necessary and it's one less thing to hoard and keep track of. Shoot,transfer, backup, edit, all in the palm of your hand. But if I get a really good macro with OIS on either apple or android products equivalent to even like a crop with a 35mm equivalent lens shoved internally somehow usinf CIA patents I'm buying that shit first day. Always lots of neat bugs where I like to travel.
>>
>>4056985
And yes I smoked the whole joint this morning.
>>
>>4056951
I used to fiddle with shutter and iso for no good reason. If something works for the situation I keep it there. Playing with the white balance with a cigarette in one hand is a sign. That's when I decided everything was 4100k for a couple months. My girlfriend nearly broke up with me until I told her we were just fuck buddies my girlfriend was ok with. Girls like warmer yellow/pink/reds/purple/blue images I find so long as they are warmer in tone. Especially on Instagram. Make it look cold and they get all depressed and sad.
>>
>>4056917
The only way phones can be on par with cameras is if they change the entire size, ergonomics, capabilities, modularity of it and let you touch up your own images without AI. Oh wait, that's mirrorless systems.
Admittedly cameras and phones are getting closer and closer in the venn diagram with each iteration but I don't see phones reaching the fun of using a camera - it might get close image fidelity wise but only because it's pulling samples from google images to swap out your sky and to supersample what came out of the tiny sensor and lens.

I think the best tool purpose a phone can serve is transferring, saving, sharing, editing and printing your photos, but not taking the photo itself. Using a glass slab isn't fun.

>>4056990
Take your meds
>>
File: 1657988501514.jpg (143 KB, 1085x543)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>4056954
Already exists buddy boy, motorola made one for their moto z line up. They also made a 10x optical zoom mod it had a small grip and a physical shutter button which was nice.
>>
>>4057013
Though I supoose its just a printer and not actual film
>>
>>4056923
>>4056917
it would take phones having a sensor that isn't tiny, having lenses with non-microscopic apertures and focal lengths, having 0 ai upscaling or sharpening in the processing and having lenses that aren't made of plastic
>>
Why not just put a phone into a camera?
>>
Phone sensors and processing stack is really good. IMO, still needs interchangeable lenses, even if it's in a Pentax Q mount for 1/2.3" sensors or something.
>>
>>4057047
Would be cool to see a Sony phone with an FF sensor and an E mount on the back
It would be an ergonomic nightmare, but I guess nothing new for Sony shooters
>>
>>4056917
my phone stays plugged in to the wall at home and my camera stays loaded with film for when it's needed, simple as
>>
File: MS-4530165-1.jpg (182 KB, 1696x1280)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Which one should I pick? Please help!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 10.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.2
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2021:11:11 15:54:40
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/10.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length44.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4057006
>Oh wait, that's mirrorless systems.
or modern dslrs, a mirrorless is just a dslr with no mirror that lets you preview the exposure
>>
File: _DSF2661.jpg (1.92 MB, 2000x2016)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
For wide-angle lens landscape, my iphone 13 is already pretty much on par with a my X-T4 +14mm prime (a 2000 euro kit). That is in good, reasonable light conditions.
(Low light conditions or the need of higher focal lengths, the X-T4 quickly destroys the iphone in terms in quality.)
But it is impressive. If you are planning wideangle landscape photography as in, on your holliday or something, a recent phone gets you really close if not on par to dedicated cameras and lenses.
>>
>only touchscreen
>terrible ergonomics
>terrible optics
>fixed focal distance
>AI modifying photos
>forced to use second camera if zooming in too much

it just feels like something added ontop of a phone because its exactly that.
if we had "camera phones" the way we have "gaming" phones and nikon still had the 1" system, something might be good out of it.
>>
>>4056921
The sensor isn't 1", the nominal size is. 1" means one inch diameter cathode ray tube. It's a 0.63" diagonal.
>>
>>4057599
Micro Four Thirds just became even more redundant.
>>
>>4057016
The sensor is 1", and it takes multiple photos and samples them together to Increase snr well past mft cameras.

The aperture on the new Xiaomi is an f5.2 full frame equivalent.

The lenses are often not just not made of plastic, but rarer and more expensive optical glass than full size camera lenses, such as sapphire glass and quartz glass.

All Bayer sensor photos require sharpening, to offset the inate softness caused by interpolation.

What do you mean by "ai upscaling", I think you just heard a buzzword and ran with it.

>>4057599
The sensor is 9mm X 13mm, slightly larger than half an mft sensor, so it only needs to blend 2 shots before it's beating m43 on image quality.
>>
>>4056921
>The Xiaomi is cropped

Citation please.

Or I'm just going to assume you're mad that phones are outperforming your main camera.
>>
>>4057771
This guy was wrong twice in one sentence. Disregard his nonsense.
>>
File: IMG_7722.jpg (2.77 MB, 2000x2667)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Are there any newer phones with a 50mm equivalent? My 12 Pro has the 2x lens which is 52mm equiv or so but most newer phones have gone 5x or higher.
Also the 2x lens on the iPhone 12 Pro is pretty shit in anything but bright light.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 12 Pro
Camera Software15.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2022:07:11 08:06:15
Exposure Time1/558 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating25
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.00 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height2667
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4057781
>NO! >:'(
>Please guys, don't listen to him, please.
lul, get rekt bitch tits.
>>
>>4056917
Can anybody who knows the physics tell me if they're making the lenses slightly wider than your average smartphone because of the depth limitations of the lenses? Are wide-angle lenses easier to design flat?
>>
>>4057812
The easiest and simplest lens to design is the one with a focal length that matches the sensor to lens distance.
>>
File: lenspancake[1].jpg (38 KB, 1280x960)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>4056921
>>4056917
i also read an androidcentral that it says its not cropped, but how the fuck can it not be cropped and have such a tiny lens on it, this just doesnt add up to me, thats literally bending the physics.
>>
>>4057851
Look up pinhole cameras mate
>>
>>4057770
>The sensor is 1", and it takes multiple photos and samples them together to Increase snr well past mft cameras.
a "1 inch" sensor is tiny, resolution is barely a factor in sensor size any more, a larger sensor means shallower dof (in the same field of view) and better low light performance
>The aperture on the new Xiaomi is an f5.2 full frame equivalent
yes and the focal length is less than 5mm, the sensor just crops it to hell
it's not useful in the slightest
>The lenses are often not just not made of plastic, but rarer and more expensive optical glass than full size camera lenses, such as sapphire glass and quartz glass.
the outer protective element is, usually the rest are plastic like on iphones
it doesn't matter that much anyway i just threw it in there
>All Bayer sensor photos require sharpening, to offset the inate softness caused by interpolation
yes but ai sharpening is not appealing to many real photographers, it can produce good results but the idea of ai affecting images rather than a reproducible algorithm takes away some authenticity
>What do you mean by "ai upscaling", I think you just heard a buzzword and ran with it.
do you really not know what ai upscaling is? A lot of phones use it to increase the resolution and sharpness of their images samsung and oppo both use it
>>
>>4057884
Wouldnt this make lens a bad performer? There has to be some sort of a catch? This begs to question why cant someone manufacture then a full frame camera thats the size of a ricoh gr.
>>
Has anyone managed to do proper photography with the galaxy s21 ultra?
I keep trying to but the camera just makes no sense, there's a 106 megapixels mode but it fucks up people in so many ways, it's too grandangular on the forced 1x camera and it applies some weird post production effects wich make skin look weird, I have no idea how to properly use something like that.
What's worse is that there's no pro mode for 106MP so I have absolutely no idea what even the point of that mode is
>>
>>4056917
I will never replace my camera with a phone. The image quality will never be as good as contemporary cameras. The ergonomics and form factor will never be as good as cameras. The lenses will never be as good as interchangable lenses because of physics. I do not want a camera that shits out my data everywhere I go to take photos. I do not take my phone everywhere I go anyway. Much of my plans revolve around excluding having a smartphone with me because I hate them and I hate how they have turned everyone into bigger idiots. I just want to take pictures with a real camera and to be left alone.
>>
File: 1658268176419.png (130 KB, 627x1016)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>4057851
Read you dumbos. Phone cameras (and P&S in general) can be optimized to the extremes due to not being ILC. Some of these lens designs basically have the rear element right on top of the sensor.
https://lenspire.zeiss.com/photo/app/uploads/2022/02/technical-article-optical-design-of-camera-optics-for-mobile-phones.pdf
>>
>>4056917
I don't get why more phones don't have shutter buttons. Especially on a phone that's clearly camera-centric and Leica branded.
>>
>>4058823
thanks for the link anon
>>
>>4057471
How do you make money shooting that shit? If everyone can take the picture on their phone the market is gone.
>>
>>4056933
You can get a plastic grip for 15 bucks online. It will even have a shutter button.
>>
I will probably, yes. At least for street and landscapes, etc. Can't stop the future. Also, I had a Nokia 1020 that took some pretty spectacular shots and that was before I was even really taking photography as a serious hobby. If I actually worked at it with that phone, I bet I could take some pretty special photos.
>>
>>4060886
The volume buttons work as shutter buttons.
>>
>>4057976
They can, it's called the Olympus xa. Full frame, 35mm F2.8 lens, fits in pocket.
>>
>>4064598
They're nowhere near your right index finger though.
>>
>>4057047
>IMO, still needs interchangeable lenses, even if it's in a Pentax Q mount for 1/2.3" sensors or something.

The Q had some phenomenal lenses. I'm pretty sad it's basically a dead platform because I feel like it could work miracles with all the new developments in tiny sensors.
>>
>>4058823
Those are some fucked up elements
Read somewhere that the reason they use plastic is so they can make elements like that.
>>
File: 1631046557051.png (37 KB, 974x418)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>4065728
With smartphones and double-aspherical elements it's only natural to make lenses out of plastic due to cost and complexity. Even cheaper ILC lenses use some plastic for aspherical elements due to how costly it is to manufacture them with glass.
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/special/exhibition1.html
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000025755&configured=1&lang=en_SG
>>
>>4064037
>How do you make money shooting that shit? If everyone can take the picture on their phone the market is gone.

What a sad a comment. And even worse, you don't get why photography as an industry is dead in certain sectors.
>>
>>4056917
>What would it take for you to move over to using a phone as a primary or secondary camera?
A 50mp 35mm sensor with an EF mount.
>>
File: 1643781590801.jpg (147 KB, 800x600)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>4066817
>EF mount
here's your phone bro
>>
>>4057014
i saw this at deutches museum
>>
Isn't optical zoom limited on camera phones? How much would customers want their phone lens sticking out? Until that happens, phones will never match the quality of an actual real camera. Besides, if apple or samsung could make such high quality phones, wouldn't you be curious why it is so cheap compared to mirrorless which start at $700?
>t. panosonic zs-100
>>
>>4066821
Based
>>
>>4056917
If you want to experience the 1" sensor on your phone, look around for a DXO One. It's discontinued 2015 tech, but you can still find them NIB under $150 and they take excellent photos, especially if you shoot in RAW mode. You get a nice 38mm focal length lens too.
If you want something like that in a phone it's going to have to be roughly the dimensions of the DXO One to have enough room for the f/1.8 lens and 38mm focal length. So far, all the 1" offerings are for the ultra-wide camera to keep the focal length down and fit the thing into a "reasonable" camera bump.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.