[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 12 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 12957192751172.png (1.16 MB, 1024x768)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
I'm tired of taking disappointing and crap pictures with the automatic setting on my camera. I've got a decent Canon DSLR but honestly lack the brain cells to remember how to properly match up ISO/shutter speed/aperture for various situations to get the most out of it, always blow it.

Is there a good flashcard-type chart that you would recommend that I could save?
>>
use the one you have on you
>>
Set iso to 100
The lower the fstop number the more blurred the bg-you choose how blurred you want it
Iso and fstop not set so just use the exposure meter in your viewfinder to set shutter speed so have correct exposure.

If shutter 1/200 or lower ie 1/100 you need to start increasing iso to your shutter is at least 1/200

It’s that simple.
>>
>>4045859
quit being a fag and just go shoot. you learn things by doing them and practicing
>>
>>4045859
Shoot in aperture mode for a couple of weeks looking for compositions of vsrying depths, then shoot in shutter speed mode for a couple of weeks looking for subjects moving at different speeds.

After doing this you'll have a better idea of how aperture and shutter speed work. Leave ISO to auto unless you have a good reason to set it manually (like setting low to improve DR for landscapes or whatever).
>>
File: 20220528002314_IMG_8348.jpg (373 KB, 1620x1080)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>4046335
Also this
>>4046334
It is about practice. Literally just practice from your office chair if nothing else. Take pictures of random shit around your house.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M50
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2022:05:28 00:30:26
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1620
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeManual
Drive ModeUnknown
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceFluorescent
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed320
Color Matrix135
>>
I honestly never understood how it is hard for people to not understand manual settings. I don't I've ever used any other settings on the 3 cameras I have ever used that wasn't M or CM1, or 2 if I have specific situations that needs those certain modes.

Learn to shoot, if you got a bad photo - tough luck, deal with it and shoot again. Learn from your mistakes until you can shoot properly with your ISO, F-stop, speed, WB, etc... It really isn't that hard, and if you think it is... stop shooting and go do something else because you're too retarded to do basic logic on a computer with glass on the front of it.
>>
>>4045859
aperture = wide open
shutter speed = as fast as you can go, minimum 160
then adjust iso for exposure

I always shoot full manual and its ez
>>
>>4046347
kek
>>
>>4046359
this isn't even a joke this is genuinely how i shoot
i do adjust the aperture sometimes if I want a sharper image or i want more in focus but normally i shoot wide open, most of my lenses are f2.8 max so wide open is still fairly sharp and the dof isn't too small
i like fast shutter speeds because i normally shoot handheld and like to freeze the moment as much as possible and i hate blur from camera shake

i sometimes take long exposures too but that's a different story
>>
>>4046343
They never try to learn the exposure triangle in the first place and the basic algebraic propositions escape them. I think it was easier in the days of film when the iso was fixed, the shutter speed was essentially fixed at or above 1/60 for handheld shooting, and your only real control was the aperture. Unless you're forced to think about what a meter reading is and think in stops to get what you want, you don't learn it.
>>
>>4045859
This book really helped me when I was a beginner getting into manual mode and could not remember everything properly. Of course you can technically find everything on the internet but reading it from beginning to end in an organized book makes a difference. Since this is the very basics of photo you'd rather be sure that you understand it completely.
>>
>>4046801
Apparently I've been banned from uploading pics but the book it Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I choosed this one cause it was recommended everywhere.
>>
>>4045859
>I've got a decent Canon DSLR but honestly lack the brain cells to remember how to properly match up ISO/shutter speed/aperture for various situations to get the most out of it, always blow it.
try aperture priority then shutter priority and see how the camera automatically picks out the rest of the image. then try manual mode yourself and tweak as you like

most importantly go practice and practice in different lighting conditions. it's a hobby, and you'll only get better if you practice
>>
>>4046804
You're probably using opera or something with auto vpn.
>>
>>4045859
>Is there a good flashcard-type chart that you would recommend that I could save?
compose your fucking photo before you take it
that is the first lesson
Until you know what key, what tone, and what subject/negative space you want, you will always take shitty pictures.

Here's a good heuristic:
>acquire a 50mm prime lens for FF or a 35mm prime for APS-C
>set ISO at 400 or below
>shoot RAW
Now
>figure out what your subject is
>figure out what you'd like your depth of field to be
>figure out if your subject is moving
>figure out what kind of contrast and key you want
Then
>set metering mode based on desired key
>set aperture for the DOF you want
>set shutterspeed based on light meter's recommendation
>frame
>shoot
>look
>repeat

going out and shooting 1000 photos while paying attention and actually thinking about the shot, then sorting through them and editing them in lightroom will teach you exponentially more than reading a book or memorizing diagrams ever will
>>
>>4047171
>and editing them in lightroom
there it is

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.