[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

When will the film market crash?
I'm sick of every camera going up in prices and reaching thousands of dollars. I'm sick of paying double digits for rolls of film.
Will we just have to wait it out until it's not popular anymore, or can the crash be forced?
>>
File: brand new minoltas.jpg (119 KB, 870x680)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
just wait until second hand cameras arent viable anymore, creating a market for them, which will incentivize camera manufacturers to start producing them again.

Or stop lusting after the unicorns, that helps too.
>>
File: img006.jpg (1.59 MB, 4373x2869)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>4029781
>When will the film market crash?
when it's no longer cool to shoot film
>I'm sick of paying double digits for rolls of film.
bulk load, literally your only option besides buying expired 12 exp film

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 11.0 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2022:05:09 20:33:54
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>4029781
>I'm sick of every camera going up in prices and reaching thousands of dollars.
you should have bought cameras years ago, not right now. also right now theres still TOP quality cameras at frozen prices because goobers still havent found them. or because theyre too advanced for the pedestrian nigger to get them, bassically they get filtered.
>I'm sick of paying double digits for rolls of film.
just 6 years ago you could buy film lots of 40 mixed rolls on ebay for $15.

theres also still moving picture stock for somewhat cheap for what you get.
>>
>>4029781
The day film production ends, and wet plate collodions will be your only alternative.
>>
>>4029867
Silver prices are retarded, hope you're grinding down the rings off of dead boomers.
>>
>>4029785
I don't understand why film cameras aren't made any more in the first place, they're extremely simple machines
>>
>>4029831
And what are those cameras?
>>
>>4029893
Film cameras are not simple machines whatsoever. Many film cameras have quite complex technology including autofocus systems, extremely precise shutters, custom through lens viewfinders, many moving mechanical parts, custom electronic circuitry for metering and displaying exposure info etc etc.
>>
>>4029893
I wish they made a modern half-frame pocketable point and shoot camera
>>
>>4029781
The film market will never fully crash as a minority of people will always want to shoot film and many professionals do want to still use film. It will come to a point where demand will far exceed supply making it again profitable to design and manufacture new film cameras. Film cameras are limited in longevity by their repairability. Once electronic film cameras from the 80s and 90s start to fail due to inevitable electronic failures, a huge hole will be left in the film camera market. Even if someone was to charge $3000 to make a brand new Contax T2 it would sell if there are few to no working used examples to buy. That is also not to mention that film cameras did not reach their peak technical and performance capabilities before their funding was cut off to instead design digital cameras. If someone was to come out with a new professional grade film camera with better optics, better autofocus better overall technical features, people would put their money down. Leica should really be developing new film cameras but they don't have a design team and haven't designed anything new in house for 30 years. Everything Leica sells now is simply rebranded products designed by other companies that Leica puts its name on and nothing else.
>>
>>4029781
as soon as you stop making threads about it
>>
>>4029900
>lex technology including autofocus systems, extremely precise shutters, custom through lens viewfinders, many moving mechanical parts, custom electronic circuitry for metering and displaying exposure info etc etc
yeah so technology that any digital camera has yeah?
even so, most film cameras are just a box with a shutter in it and some mechanical parts to change shutter speed really not that complex to make once you have the knowledge
>>
>>4029781
If the film market crashes, then prices will be up on film because demand is down and it’ll cost more per roll to produce and maintain. If demand goes up, price of film will go up because demand is up.
>>
It’s going to do the opposite and keep getting more expensive…
More and more old film cameras will break or wear out and no new ones are being created.
Also film is def gonna go up, all materials are getting fucked by inflation. Film is also so much more complicated to make than you realise, look up the Kodak factory on YouTube to see just how complex. Like 100 times harder than you could ever imagine involving so many massive complex machines.
It sucks because I like film but portra is already hitting 30-35 per roll in my country, 10 to develop. Won’t be long till it’s $50 to shoot and process one roll of film.
>>
>>4029781
If you’re looking for a price cut on film or camera prices going down you’re de-facto short film photography. The only problem is your inability to make money.
>>
>>4029905
the diana mini is pretty good and fun, also can do half frame AND 24x24 which is fucking top. super plasticky though.
>>
File: Konica-AA-35-8.jpg (96 KB, 800x600)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>4029971
The diana mini's lens is too big to be pocketable imo. I would 100% a modern Konica recorder tho it's a bit larger but the smaller width makes it pocketable

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size18.00 - 55.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.20
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2019:04:12 13:43:30
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias1.7 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Image Width800
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeAv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeUnknown
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation10
Sensor ISO Speed170
Image Number109-4395
Color Matrix129
>>
>>4029908
>The film market will never fully crash as a minority of people will always want to shoot film
Zoomers aren't going to be nostalgic about film.

>and many professionals do want to still use film.
At this point professionals who use film do so because film automatically gathers attention from hipsters regardless of the quality of the work. It's easier to gain an audience working in a popular niche. That will fade in time as the nostalgia/hipster factor fades.

>It will come to a point where demand will far exceed supply making it again profitable to design and manufacture new film cameras.
That's already happening. But you have to realize that the demand is against a tiny supply. So tiny that it's obvious Fuji doesn't even care, i.e. their films are profitable but not more profitable than other investment opportunities for their money. That's why they keep canceling film stocks

>Film cameras are limited in longevity by their repairability. Once electronic film cameras from the 80s and 90s start to fail due to inevitable electronic failures, a huge hole will be left in the film camera market.
By the time that happens I doubt film will have any popularity. It will probably survive in some form forever, but not at the current level.

>That is also not to mention that film cameras did not reach their peak technical and performance capabilities before their funding was cut off to instead design digital cameras.
Yeah they did. Sure, a 1DX mark III has better AF than an EOS 3 or 1v. But the AF in those film cameras isn't holding anyone back.

>If someone was to come out with a new professional grade film camera with better optics
You can get current lenses for most mounts.
>>
>>4029945
In the short run this is true. In the long run there will be a crash.
>>
>>4029781
I love seeing film and cameras moon. Filters out casuals, pumps my Mamiya bags.
>>
>>4030203

why in the fuck are these things 300 bucks on ebay holy shit

I paid less for my Leica and it fits in my pocket and some of the Recorders listed cost more than the 15mm lens I put on mine. my whole pocketable 15mm setup cost about 400 with the finder on the top and it shoots 24x36 not pussy half frame
>>
File: PXL_20220516_170433539.jpg (2.51 MB, 3024x4032)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
Just don't buy some Youtube meme camera. I got picrel for 40 Bucks.
And what's the point of an expensive film camera anyways?
The emulsion takes the photo, the camera is just a lens holder. In my mind, as long as you can change the lens and exposure, the camera did it's job.
I'll agree on the price for rolls, but cameras aren't really the problem.

Equipment MakeGoogle
Camera ModelPixel 4 XL
Camera SoftwareHDR+ 1.0.440402506zd
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2022:05:16 19:04:33
Exposure Time5283/1000000 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating42
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness5.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.31 m
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.38 mm
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
>>4030807
Fuck you people really live like this lol
>>
>>4029921
The problem is the price point. Sure, you could make a functional camera which takes OK quality photos. People have, just look at the Ilford ones. They're only a step up from disposables though.

Once you're into the region of decent feature-rich SLRs though? The second hand market is still way cheaper than what you'd be able to develop and manufacture one for. Remember that it's a niche market too, you'll not be able to recoupe development costs by selling millions of units like back when film was still popular.

It will probably happen at some point in the future, second hand cameras are only getting older and good luck finding replacement parts for them.
>>
>>4030762
>why in the fuck are these things 300 bucks
Because they’re pretty rare and they never really caught on outside of japan sadly. The recorder is pretty sturdy tho which makes it a great everyday carry well worth the prices imo
>>
>>4029820
I'd add repackaged cine film if your able to self dev, but also if you do that you can bulk load

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.