[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's a camera that takes good shots in low light as well as video, but is also pretty tough and can handle being beaten around while I hike and mountain bike? I don't want to have to deal with lensfaggotry either, just one lens that'll always be on the camera at most.
>>
>>4029553
I heard Sony's are good for that

But you can also just buy a cheap manual focus 1.4 lens plus steady grip and boom instant decent to good low light

Even if you end up getting the perfect low light camera you still need to find some light thats just how it works

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M5
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2022:05:13 21:56:01
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3368
Image Height5240
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4029557
So was I bamboozled by all that time I spent looking at DPReview videos trying to find one and they keep mentioning low light capability when in reality its just about set up?
>>
>>4029558
some cameras are better at low light than others for many different reasons like sensor size images prossesing buwawawa but if you pair them with a slow lens or you won't be able to take full advantage of it's low light capability

Read about the exposure triangle don't be afraid of high iso noise if you keep all your settings balanced your image will come out clear

Tldr google exposure triangle or how to shoot low light with x camera
>>
File: s5.jpg (103 KB, 966x621)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>4029553
You ask for a lot. You want the perfect camera. You said you want 1 lens. I'm guessing you want a capable zoom. Micro 4/3 would be perfect if it weren't for the low light. People are going to say oh just get the 17mm f1.2 bro and you can shoot in the dark bro, which is a $1300 lens by the way. You only want to use 1 lens, so that means a capable zoom. Forget about it.

First thing that comes to mind is the Lumix S5 with the 20-60 kit lens it comes with. It's all weather sealed and pannys are pretty tough. It's not the fastest lens, but the iso performance of full frame makes up for it. One small problem, the autofocus is okay for everything other than vlogging. You can make it work for that, just dont expect sony tier tracking. Its on sale right now for $1800.

Sonys are pretty cool for low light video too, some like the A7Siii are several stops better than the S5 in super low light but Im guessing that's out of your budget. The A7III is about the same as the panny but the 28-70 kit lens is considerably narrower than the 20-60. Also, theyre not as rugged as an S5. In no way are they up to being tossed around in a backpack while biking but thats just my opinion. Theyre not as weather sealed either, just moisture resistant, so you cant shoot with them in the rain.
>>
File: Fujifilm_X-S10_InHand_2.jpg (716 KB, 3000x2003)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>4029553
XS10 & 18-55. Ibis and ois. Reasonably fast wide open. Good to go. $1399. Cant think of anything else. Its good

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D610
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 21.2 (Windows)
PhotographerCorey O'Brien
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1014
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)70 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6016
Image Height4016
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2020:10:06 10:59:53
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length70.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3000
Image Height2003
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Depends on your definition of good. Only the latest most expensive full frame cameras are the best at low light and leave everything else behind. However if you want good enough you'll find plenty of modern cameras with the right lens are just fine
>>
>>4029553
Sony a7iv and whatever compact prime takes your fancy.
>>
>>4029553
If low light is the priority you can get an A7s series camera.

Otherwise get literally any other mirrorless camera, then separately get a camera cage.

Photo above is a GH5 with a Lock Circle Camera Cage.
>>
>>4029553
I would highly suggest Lock Circle camera cages. They are hybrid cages in that they are designed for videography and photography. Most camera cages are designed solely for video and won't allow you to properly grip the camera for photography. Lock Circle cages are expensive but imo they are worth every dollar as they are the best cages you can get.
>>
>>4029553
Use your phone, millenial bastard
>>
>>4029665
>Only the latest most expensive full frame cameras are the best at low light
lol don't you mean medium format? not going to capture much light with a tiny full frame sensor no matter how much money you waste on it
>>
>>4029660
It isn't weather sealed, I'm pretty worried about that.
I want something I can really abuse

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.